Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hollywood & Highland looks like this now?

WTH are they going for?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2022 3:17 AM

Dubai?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2022 1:00 PM

I’m going to Dubai!

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2022 1:03 PM

I miss the elephants

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2022 1:04 PM

it looka lika mall

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2022 1:04 PM

THE MINIMALISTIC DECOR IS DESIGNED TO ENHANCE CONVERSATION!

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2022 1:05 PM

That grass looks like it’s being frogmarched by a firing squad.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2022 1:05 PM

Melania probably has her architectural hands all over this.

Rose Garden 2.0!

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2022 1:13 PM

It looks like the entrance to Hitler’s branch of Nobu.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2022 1:16 PM

It’s really just a blank slate to put advertising on

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2022 1:18 PM

R9 ok that make sense but it’s even more terrifying

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2022 1:21 PM

the old one looked bigger but it was getting a bit tacky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2022 1:22 PM

Hollywood is unattractive, uninviting and depressing. They're trying...failing but trying.

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2022 1:44 PM

Anything interesting in Hollywood happens behind closed doors, usually with a security guard in front of it.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2022 1:49 PM

Hollywood is seedy and dilapidated but still has some glorious old-school places

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2022 1:53 PM

Renamed to Ovation Hollywood too

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2022 2:10 PM

I heard the Hollywood sign will be remodeled to be in emojis.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2022 2:13 PM

What happened to all the street trade that used to be on that corner?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2022 2:20 PM

Is Jumbo’s Clown Room still going strong, R14?

I used to love gritty and seedy Hollywood. Now it’s turned into a landing pad for obese fraus from the south who claim to detest Hollywood, but force their families into a plane towards LAX on the regular, only to photograph themselves standing next to a “STAR” on HW Blvd., for the Gram.

😂🤣😂

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2022 2:23 PM

Many, many years ago I used to hang out at the Frolic Room. Area was seedy, but I loved looking for the "Nina's" hidden in the Al Hirschfeld wall paper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2022 7:07 PM

R19, the Frolic Room was my first Los Angeles Bar experience ever.

We became regulars, in our senior year in high school.

Life so fun & simple then. Even safe, might I add.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2022 8:36 PM

There's still Musso and Frank, a fun place for a drink and dinner.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2022 8:39 PM

R21, AND they used to serve up a mean Long Island Iced Tea., for those of us who preferred “longer lunches”.

An honest bartender is priceless, when one has the luxury of youth and zero bruises.

Lol!

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2022 8:49 PM

The Frolic Room, Boardner’s, and Musso & Frank are classic. I don’t like the way they’ve simplified the menu at Musso’s, but it’s still a fun place to go to. It’s also comforting. Gore Vidal said that entering Musso’s was like stepping into a warm bath.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2022 1:07 AM

My brother and I like to go to Musso’s and munch on celery stuffed with Roquefort mousse while we drink martinis and read the menu. We used to like the French-cut lamb chops, but they’ve been off the menu for a while. So we’ll go for the Lobster Thermidor instead. After a couple of Musso’s martinis, even the Hollywood and Highland development doesn’t look so bad.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2022 1:36 AM

Looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2022 1:50 AM

Just be thank Musso is still in business, because if the family didn't own the building they would be long gone.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2022 1:51 AM

That should be thankful

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2022 1:53 AM

Am I tripping or was that place the Babylonian set from Griffith's Intolerance, 1915?

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2022 2:01 AM

R28 Itwas modeled on the set from Griffith’s Intolerance. One of the reasons that the Hollywood/Highland’s new owners gave for demolishing it was that D. W. Griffith was also director of the racist film Birth of a Nation.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2022 2:15 AM

The lesbian nightclub scene in Brian De Palma’s The Black Dahlia was partly filmed at The Frolic Room.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2022 2:27 AM

The complex was purchased by DJM Capital Partners (San Jose) and Gaw Capital (Hong Kong), renamed Ovation Hollywood and is still being renovated, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2022 2:31 AM

Frolic Room is great for a drink before seeing a musical at the Pantages. And great for an intermission pee and drink.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2022 2:35 AM

Leave it venture capitalists to make everything look like a glass and concrete version of Godzilla.

Sure, Hollywood was seedy AF, but it was a town where if you went looking for adventure, you were sure as fuck gonna find trouble… the fun kind, when you were a kid who still hadn’t a clue that there’s a distinction between trouble, and fun.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2022 2:39 AM

I can't imagine a restaurant in Hollywood used in more films than Musso. I went up to watch some filming for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. That was a blast.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2022 2:45 AM

Was just there for the first time in a year after having lived in the area at one point for 6-7 years. It was never an amazing design, but the kitschy faux top of-Hollywood studio era design was at least something unique and memorable. This is just bleak looking. I had high hopes when the new ownership took over — this ain’t it.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2022 2:48 AM

R34 Musso’s has often been used as a stand-in for a Manhattan restaurant in a fair number of films. In Mad Men, they used both Musso’s Old Room and New Room a number of times.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2022 2:57 AM

They have been trying to revive that area for decades. I remember going to the opening of the El Capitan when Disney did its renovation, and 6 months later idiots have carved crap into beautiful wood molding.

Part of the problem these days, is that traffic is so bad most people seem to hang in their own neighborhoods. So Hollywood has lots of tourist trash. Yes, Musso is destination dining for many but even Nancy Silverton is struggling at The Barish.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2022 3:06 AM

R37 is right. I lived two blocks away from that place in the mid-2000s and the complex is in a cluster of a location. Even then it was trashy.

I'm sure the patrons are more interested in what's at the food court.

Not sure why so many here are upset; it was never known as a place where gays went.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2022 3:12 AM

True. But I remember cruising Hollywood Blvd. In the 70s when I was underage. Picked up my first guy there. Afterwards, he took me to eat at Hamburger Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2022 3:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!