Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

American foods that people from other countries find disgusting.

If you live outside the US, do you agree? If you live in the US, do you agree? Or, are all the haters wrong. Americans: get your revenge. What foods popular in other countries do you find repulsive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2022 9:33 PM

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2022 12:13 AM

Twinkies are not popular the world over.

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2022 12:14 AM

The only thing on that list I eat is peanut butter. I used to have a slice of pumpkin pie after thanksgiving dinner, but rarely anymore. Most of the rest is disgusting food. Who the hell eats corn dogs?

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2022 12:21 AM

I actually agree with a number of those, and I'm American. However, real, natural peanut butter and sausage gravy and biscuits are delicious.

Hot dogs, Cheese Whiz, white sandwich bread? Yuck.

Gross food from other lands:

Marmite

Vegemite

Spotted Dick

Blood pudding

Haggis

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2022 12:22 AM

I'm American, but the only things I'd eat from that list are Fritos and chili, without making them into a "pie." I also like root beer floats, though I don't think I've had one in the last 15 years. I might like grits, but I've never had them.

All the rest are foods I don't like, especially pumpkin pie, hot dogs, and Velveeta.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2022 12:36 AM

Just call your grits "polenta" and it will be acceptable to non-Americans.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2022 12:45 AM

Irish people try corndogs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2022 12:48 AM

Then, they tackle pumpkin pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2022 12:50 AM

Twenty foods not allowed to be eaten in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2022 1:50 AM

Did your state's favorite food make the list of hated foods?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2022 1:53 AM

Americans react to Russian holiday food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2022 1:54 AM

quote]American foods that people from other countries find disgusting.

#1. Madonna's smelly old snatch

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2022 2:06 AM

American food is fine. We have the best of everything but we still live like pigs. It's our own choice.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2022 2:13 AM

weird

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2022 2:22 AM

As an Appalachian native, I love grits, sausage gravy and biscuits, and chicken-fried steak. I rarely eat any of these, but every few years I might have one. I know I am an outlier with regard to peanut butter, but it is seldom that I have it. My mom didn't stock it while I was growing up, so I never got into it. Lastly, a few weeks ago I was in the market and saw a seasoning packet for sloppy joes. I hadn't eaten one for over thirty years, but I bought that and some hamburger buns, and enjoyed a couple sloppy joes that night.

The rest of the list is meh, but I'm not fervently opposed to pumpkin or rhubarb pie, though the latter contains way too much sugar. Corn dogs and hotdogs? Sure, if the situation is right. Sandwich bread and Jello? I don't eat them, but understand why some people do.

Nothing on there is terrible, but it is not like Americans eat that stuff often. Most of it is a once-a-year or less stuff. You always hear about the whacky stuff as if it shows up on dinner plates several nights a week.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2022 2:26 AM

Just the thought of watching those youtube videos caused my IQ to drop.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2022 2:28 AM

It’s the portion sizes that I find disgusting. Nobody needs to eat that much.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2022 2:28 AM

^ Speak for yourself, Princess.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote]Just the thought of watching those youtube videos caused my IQ to drop.

Is it possible to get lower?

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2022 2:34 AM

Pretty consistent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2022 12:48 PM

10% solution in meat packaging

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2022 12:56 PM

The British criticizing our food is so cute , especially considering their food is INEDIBLE SLOP.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2022 1:08 PM

British food meme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2022 1:34 PM

Oh, I'm supposed to care about fifth-worlders who eat dogs, pig guts, grasshoppers, Marmite, Vegemite and pussy?

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2022 1:42 PM

I love loose meat sandwiches. Maid-Rite was a popular chain restaurant in the Midwest. It’s a recipe that’s easy to recreate.

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2022 2:03 PM

US foods that are popular elsewhere tend to be easily available in most countries (hamburgers). The less popular one's (biscuits & gravy) much less so.

It's the same with cuisine from most places.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2022 2:17 PM

Of course, there is the opposite. But, Americans would consider this to be racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2022 2:26 PM

At least we don’t eat bats.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2022 2:35 PM

Brits live off of KFC and McDonalds.

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2022 2:36 PM

R29- Our slop is still far better than their slop.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2022 2:42 PM

Russian food always looks revolting.

Not surprised that Utah has jello as the state food. Bland white people eating bland food.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2022 2:59 PM

From a few weeks ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2022 3:09 PM

R29, UK here, and I can’t remember the last time I ate fast food. Children seem obsessed with it, but it’s not real food.

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2022 3:17 PM

I would imagine Chilli, Scrapple and Spam would be high on the list.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2022 3:19 PM

And from a few months ago:

Summary:

Peanut butter

Bad cheese

Biscuits and gravy (a hardsell to anyone not born American, rural, white, and poor)

And my addition, foods with too many ingredients -- Americans think if one type of cheese is good, 5 is fantastic; raw onions, fried onions, AND onion rings? Fantabulous sauce on sauce? Hell yeah. Carrots cake made with carrots, lemon, beets, and cauliflower? Oh yeah! Secret BBQ sauces with 63 ingredients. Your Greek grandmother's famous spinakopita + tiropita + moussaka stuffing + curried Ranch Dressing + the whole thing floating on a reservoir of molten 5-cheeses? Exactly that. Less is bad. More is good. Who cares if none of it is in season, always, always, always add more shit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2022 3:21 PM

R6 or pretentious yankees.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2022 3:23 PM

[quote]Biscuits and gravy (a hardsell to anyone not born American, rural, white, and poor)

Biscuits and gravy is eaten by both blacks and whites in the south and by non-poor city folk too. It's not a daily thing though. I might indulge a few times a year if I'm in a good diner.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2022 3:30 PM

Cheese Whizz is an abomination. R4 have you ever had spotted dick?

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2022 3:35 PM

R37 Yep, it is like the difference between Natalie Dupree and Paula Dean. Dupree says of course she eats and grew up eating the type of things Dean does on her shows, but they were/are occasional things. You don't eat biscuits and gravy for breakfast every morning and then fried chicken for lunch everyday, but that is the stereotype that has developed of Southern cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2022 3:42 PM

I’m not sure what a corn dog is.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2022 3:46 PM

R40 A hot dog weiner is put on a stick, it is then battered usually in a corn bread batter, and deep fried. It is mainly popular with children and with people attending a fun fair.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2022 3:50 PM

[quote]I’m not sure what a corn dog is.

You're not fooling anyone, Marcus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2022 7:02 PM

The only things I'd eat off that list would be natural peanut butter and maybe a rootbeer float.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2022 8:32 PM

The only drink that tastes worse than root beer is a Maltese soda called 'Kinnie'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2022 9:10 PM

Let's just appreciate what we have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2022 9:26 PM

My state food is brisket and ribs. I love digging into a rack of bbq'd pork ribs.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2022 9:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!