Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Day Betty White And Bea Arthur Got Into A Fight

It happened 4 years after the start of Golden Girls which explains why they looked friendly during interviews during the first 3 years and didn't sit next to each other after that. Bea was a very very insecure woman. Interesting little interview with a man who saw what happened that day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507August 25, 2023 10:57 AM

Betty seemed like kind of a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2022 4:10 PM

How so, r1?

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2022 4:16 PM

Shy introverts like things to be a certain way. They like structure and routine or else they start freaking out. They panic. They need to be able to control their world. Betty's extroverted personality was occasionally too much for Bea to handle. If Bea had been more laid back and comfortable with herself like Rue and Estelle were, she wouldn't have reacted that way. Bea once said in an interview that she's like an exposed nerve.

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2022 4:31 PM

Or maybe Betty should have just not made the comment? Especially since as was stated, everyone could tell Bea was getting upset.

I loved Betty and Bea. I hate that these two feuded. But honestly, I think whatever feud was between them was exacerbated on both their ends.

I never bought that Betty simply didn't understand why Bea didn't care for her. Maybe in the beginning, yes. But I think there were things that she knew upset Bea, and when she felt pissed off with Bea over something (like in that clip) she knew how to get under Bea's skin, and then play it off like she didn't have a clue. Very passive aggressive behavior.

I've no doubt Betty could be a monumental sweetheart, but even those closest to her have also said that she was more like Sue Ann Nivens than people thought.

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2022 8:55 PM

There are some MTM outtakes / bloopers on YouTube. In one of them, Betty teases someone (Mary?) for blowing a line and causing a re-take. But Betty and Mary were social friends as well as acting together on MTM.

Bea was an alcoholic and probably wanted to do her lines and go home. If you watch Seinfeld bloopers, Michael Richards (Kramer) looks like the one who was best at doing his lines. Julia L-D (Elaine) was constantly laughing, causing retakes.

Anyway, Bea probably did find Betty irritating. Betty should just admit what happened instead of acting like she had no clue.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2022 9:09 PM

Is he referring to that time in the bloopers where Betty said “Bea screwed up,” or whatever?

I didn’t catch that this was necessarily the 4th season, he just said “the biggest fight he witnessed in his four years there.”

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2022 9:15 PM

R6, no he's referring to a fight that happened backstage. At the end of the interview he said it happened after 4 years of GG.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2022 9:23 PM

And yet, they kept going to lunch together every day even after this incident. In Rue's book, she wrote that Bea and Betty didn't have the relationship she wanted them to have but that they went to lunch together every day for 7 years. I guess it was a love/hate relationship.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2022 2:33 PM

Or Rue and Betty chatted when Bea read the paper.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2022 2:55 PM

Betty was chewing gum that day and Bea lost her shit.

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2022 5:22 PM

Betty was a passive aggressive cunt. Never was a fan of her good girl shtick.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2022 2:17 AM

R11 She was very desperate to be the star.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2022 2:18 AM

R11, you are wrong

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2022 2:20 AM

R11 you are correct

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2022 2:22 AM

R11 she could take it though just as much as she could give it so I’ll give her a pass. Just watch the clips with her and Joan R - she enjoyed throwing zingers back and forth that was her thing.

And she probably figured someone who wasn’t tough enough to handle that shouldn’t be in the business - and she kind of has a point.

She was a tough old broad though - you don’t have that kind of longevity if you aren’t. That doesn’t mean she was a bitch, though.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2022 2:23 AM

R13 You are correct

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2022 2:23 AM

R14 you are correct

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2022 2:25 AM

She was cute, but also a bit annoying. "Everyone look at me, look at me, please!"

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2022 2:27 AM

R17 Wrong!

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2022 2:29 AM

R11 So true

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2022 2:29 AM

R17 So accurate

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2022 2:30 AM

R20, you are wrong

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2022 2:31 AM

R20 You are dead-on accurate

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2022 2:33 AM

I've seen Betty on reruns of game shows. She always seemed on, constantly trying to get a laugh and saying raunchy innuendos. I can see how that irritate the fuck out of shy, introverted Bea.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2022 2:42 AM

R6, that is from the second season episode when Blanche and Stan start hanging out.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2022 2:44 AM

I read somewhere, I think it's Closer magazine, that they kissed and made up after that fight.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2022 12:01 PM

There is or was, something phoney about Betty White. I like her, she's great on G.G, MTM, etc. But, I don't know exactly, the insincere automatic smile, she aiways appears to be "on". Maybe she's just a consummate professional.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2022 12:20 PM

#TeamEveryone!

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2022 12:30 PM

I'm sure Betty was used to live TV and probably thought she needed to diffuse the situation and was worried they might be losing the audience, but she pandered to the audience by throwing Bea under the bus. You can also take her comment about "well, this is going well, isn't it?" as a jab toward Bea, which was uncalled for. If someone is boffing their lines, you don't make them more nervous and self-conscious about it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2022 12:36 PM

I heard they fought over which book was better. Betty liked "So Dark the Waves on Biscayne Bay", while Bea preferred "Scarlet Dawn at Boca Raton".

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2022 12:37 PM

After four years of working this close together, you should get a sense of your colleagues' boundaries, body language, mood cycles, tells, etc.

It seems Bea wasn't a happy woman. I have only mad love and respect for her, but I wouldn't have dared to meet her and tell her something stupid like "thank you for being a friend!", she would've probably chewed me out saying something like "we have never met before, we're not friends, fuck off!".

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2022 1:18 PM

I had the opportunity to observe Betty up close and personal during a charity event for the LA Zoo about 20 years ago, and R27 comes pretty close to how she is in public. Whenever there were cameras or a TV crew in front of her she was “Betty White” with that big smile and wide eyes, but when they left it’s like everything shut off and she was an old woman with resting bitchface. In her defense it probably took a lot of energy to maintain that facade, so I don’t blame her for wanting to save it for the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2022 1:19 PM

My understanding is that Bea (despite her lasting fame as a TV actress) very much considered herself a theatre actress. She also prided herself on being a professional: being on time, lines letter-perfect and blocking down cold. The LEAST professional thing in the world for a stage actor to do is what Betty regularly did - break the fourth wall.

So Betty hit two triggers for Bea at once. Bea was already pissed at herself for going up (twice!) on her line when Betty addressed the audience to make fun of her.

Bea overreacted, but really, after four years Betty must have known Bea would not find that cute or funny. Why would she deliberately piss her off during taping? Annoying.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2022 1:22 PM

R11- The real problem was that they were both Lesbians and they clashed.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2022 1:25 PM

Betty was rude. Did Bea overreact? Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2022 1:38 PM

Read Jim Colucci's book, "Golden Girls Forever."

All four of them were professional, and quite brassy old broads, but their personalities clashed quite a bit. Bea was sensitive and quiet, but she was also arguably the best trained as a real actress. Betty had the two personas, as others have mentioned here, and swung wildly between Betty White the national treasure and Betty White the phony old pro. Estelle had a life before acting, and in addition to her stage fright and memory problems, she was also occupied with family issues during the series run. Rue was well-liked, but conflict averse, and generally preferred to stay out of it.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2022 1:50 PM

R33 “turning it on and off” is a method of preserving energy for public figures who need to be charming at all times. I’ve seen John Travolta, Sandra Bullock, Bill Clinton and Andre Agassi click into “meet and greet mode” like a switch is hit. When they turn it off they were quiet and self-contained and looked almost physically smaller.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2022 1:59 PM

Sorry, *r32

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2022 2:01 PM

GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!!! Can’t we all agree that they ALL were (and we all are) pains in the collective ass, passive-aggressive cunts, and desperate to be the star? Everyone must look in the mirror, darlings

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2022 3:42 PM

Was this the altercation that led to Bea leaving the 'grass comber' on Betty's dressing room floor?

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2022 4:31 PM

R40 You're trying so hard, but give it up

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2022 4:33 PM

Cunts all around

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2022 4:46 PM

The Day The Laughter Died

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2022 4:55 PM

Coworkers sometimes disagree.

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2022 4:56 PM

R36 What family issues did she have?

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2022 5:00 PM

R45 Her husband was an asshole

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote}Betty should just admit what happened instead of acting like she had no clue.

That is so not something she can do.

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2022 5:01 PM

"so not something"

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2022 5:06 PM

R45

Estelle was living in LA to film the show (and its sequels), but her husband stayed in New York to run his business. They lived apart for several years. She also had a nephew who was dying of AIDS in the early 90s, and she took care of him.

But that cheeky and cunty gossip Betty White would go around telling people Estelle needed to leave the set early because she had a drinking problem (not true), or because she had a botched facelift and needed to rest her jaw (also not true).

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2022 5:10 PM

[quote]And she probably figured someone who wasn’t tough enough to handle that shouldn’t be in the business - and she kind of has a point.

Meanwhile, Bea was the only one out of the four who had her own hit TV series. It was Bea's participation who Susan Harris sought out against Brandon Tartikoff's opinions. And it was Bea's departure that caused the show to tank.

You watch the first half season of episodes (in production order) and you'll see just how much they initially anchored the show on Bea. She is a constant presence, even in episodes that deal with the other characters like Job Hunting. Once the shows started airing and it was a hit, you can see it shaping into more of an ensemble. But they relied heavily on Bea more than the others to sell it to audiences.

It's a shame she was jealous of Betty. Bea brought a lot to the table in terms of that shows success, but it seems like she saw Betty winning the Emmy first win as it signifying something else.

by Anonymousreply 50August 23, 2022 5:41 PM

Betty's character was warm and funny, for being stupid. Bea's character was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 51August 23, 2022 5:44 PM

R50 Bea rightfully had no rational reason to be envious of Betty White, but we don't get to control our feelings that tightly. Sometimes, we just don't like a person.

Maybe part of it was because Bea was an Actor with a capital "A." She won a Tony and an Emmy before she even showed up for this series. Betty White had her own success too, but she wasn't cut from the same cloth. Bea probably saw her as a joke - a classic sidekick and a game-show hostess who was good for a cheap laugh but certainly not a true actress. And yet, despite her phony exterior and total lack of training, Betty White still stole the show and always seemed to have more fans than Bea did, and that had to have stung.

It must be how Hillary Clinton felt when she had to share a stage with glitzy newcomers like Barack Obama and Donald Trump. "What the hell are YOU doing here?"

by Anonymousreply 52August 23, 2022 5:49 PM

This was the day that Bea shit on Betty’s dressing room floor.

by Anonymousreply 53August 23, 2022 5:51 PM

R53 No, that was Georgia Engel's dump. Bea never had to drop one.

by Anonymousreply 54August 23, 2022 5:53 PM

R34 they made up and scissored afterwards, with real scissors.

by Anonymousreply 55August 23, 2022 6:04 PM

[quote] Bea’s character was a bitch.

No, R51. You sound one-dimensional.

R36/R49, is that recount of White’s gossiping from the Colucci book?

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2022 6:05 PM

Bea said in interviews that when she was young, she wanted to be a little blonde starlet. She also said that when she was older she wanted to be blonde and 5'2 but she was the opposite of that. And here comes Betty who was shorter and even though she wasn't a real blonde, she looked like Goldilocks and had a personality that people loved. Betty didn't have a deep voice either. Betty was extroverted, high energy and needed very little sleep. She was like the Energizer Bunny while Bea was often tired and just wanted to go home and be left alone. Betty was everything Bea wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2022 6:10 PM

And you're overinvested in dead actresses from an ancient shitcom, R56. I know which I'd rather be accused of.

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2022 6:10 PM

I give Norman Lear credit for seeing something in Bea (episode of "All in the Family" - cousin Maude). Nowadays, no one would create a show around a gray-haired, 6-foot, low-voiced woman.

I liked the Dorothy character a lot. The Betty character I always found unfunny and tedious (St. Olaf stories way too long). Loved the Rue character.

At some point, Estelle Getty did get a face lift. She was already in make-up to make her look older, so they had to adjust to the face lift.

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2022 6:15 PM

R57- Bea was tired and just wanted to go home and be left alone- I can relate. It sounds JUST like me.

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2022 6:16 PM

R58- Half of datalounge is invested in these long dead actresses and the generally average sitcom Golden Girl.

by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2022 6:18 PM

[quote]I read somewhere, I think it's Closer magazine, that they kissed and made [bold]out[/bold] after that fight.

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2022 6:19 PM

They were two totally different personalities and they clashed. It happens a lot.

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2022 6:21 PM

All of these women seemed insufferable except for Rue.

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2022 6:22 PM

Why would Bea hold a grudge and not get over it? Unless she had some kind of hang-up and couldn't let it go, it seems like whatever their differences were should have been put aside both personally and professionally. Unless there is more to the story we don't know about.

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2022 6:24 PM

[quote]Nowadays, no one would create a show around a gray-haired, 6-foot, low-voiced woman.

Yeah. Streaming is so conventional.

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2022 6:25 PM

R62, maybe they did make out. I was had a love/hate relationship with another girl in high school. We were both competitive skiers. It was like Personal Best. I hated her on the slopes and wanted to beat her time but in private, we would make out. Maybe that's what Bea and Betty did. Hating someone can really be a turn on and lead to wild passionate sex.

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2022 6:25 PM

[Quote]There is or was, something phoney about Betty White

She was a lesbian in a lavender marriage with that queen Allen Ludden.

Bea had Betty's number.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2022 6:28 PM

And Betty had Bea’s snatch.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2022 6:33 PM

Did Bea have to clean up the doo doo that she made in Betty’s dressing room?

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2022 6:46 PM

[quote] Nowadays, no one would create a show around a gray-haired, 6-foot, low-voiced woman.

Don;t jinx it. I'm waiting to hear if Netflix bought the option to my new sitcom, "Foxy Roxy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2022 6:47 PM

That is NOT how I want to remember them.

THIS is how I want to remember them, goddammit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2022 6:48 PM

Yeah, right, R58. Your sane and elegant response sure put me in my place! Thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2022 7:21 PM

If you watch Maude, Bea kept looking at women's butts and boobs. Almost every episode in which there was an attractive woman. She even stared at Rue's boobs. There was a guest star on GG in season four who said Bea hit on her and stared at her boobs. Maybe Bea and Betty's feud was lesbian drama. They were all over each other when GG started. Holding hands, touching each other's hair. They were friends before GG. Bea knew how Betty was so why was she friends with her if she didn't like Betty's personality? If Bea thought Betty was a fake, why are there pictures of them from the 70s sitting together at a table, having fun? Why did they go to lunch every day? I wouldn't go to lunch with someone I can't stand. Do you how to tell when the media is lying about a story? When they repeat the same thing over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2022 7:24 PM

Bea could have looked quite elegant IMO if she had slimmed down considerably, colored her hair and worn a flattering hair style. Think Diana Vreeland. .

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2022 7:26 PM

OMG, this is DL Holy Grail...I never thought we'd hear this story from someone who was actually there.

by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2022 7:28 PM

If only Lucy had been there to throw hot coffee on both of 'em

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2022 7:30 PM

Is that Robert Mandan from SOAP playing the piano at R72? He was always a hot silver fox.

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2022 7:30 PM

Actually, now that I think of it, wasn't there a scene in MTM where Sue Ann opens up to Mary about her frustrations regarding the limits of her tv career, the constantly smiling happy homemaker persona. Her face was locked into a permanent smile, very funny, expertly delivered by White.

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2022 7:33 PM

This should have been the subject of Feud Season 2 instead of the boring nonsense they have planned involving the women of Truman Capote!

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2022 7:45 PM

TMZ needs to release footage of this epic fight!

by Anonymousreply 81August 23, 2022 8:17 PM

[quote] If you watch Maude, Bea kept looking at women's butts and boobs.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 82August 24, 2022 12:40 AM

My money is on Betty.

by Anonymousreply 83August 24, 2022 12:44 AM

I think Betty was more like Sue Ann Nivens than Rose. Betty was strong.

by Anonymousreply 84August 24, 2022 12:44 AM

Betty does sound exhausting, but Bea seems like she could be a real bitch. I would prefer to work with Rue. I adored Estelle and Sophia was my favorite character, but with her anxiety and memory loss, that's also too exhausting to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 85August 24, 2022 12:50 AM

A bitch that can fool almost everyone to believe that they are sweet and nice are the shiftiest kind of bitches that you need to look out for.

by Anonymousreply 86August 24, 2022 12:52 AM

I always thought GG was Estelle Getty's first acting job outside of theater. I never knew until recently that she was in Mask with Cher and Eric Stoltz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 24, 2022 12:55 AM

Here's a better pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 24, 2022 12:56 AM

How so R88??

🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2022 12:58 AM

Yes R75, but slimming outfits wouldn’t hide the colostomy bag.

by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2022 1:00 AM

It is on my brower anyway r89

by Anonymousreply 91August 24, 2022 1:00 AM

Bea seemed to have the same Emmy issue with Betty that Susan St. James had with Jane Curtin on Kate and Allie. Susan was an established prime time TV star who was well known to Middle American audiences while Jane was a part of ensemble on the late-night SNL. Susan thought she would win the first year because of that name recognition, only to have Jane win it two years in a row. That caused some bad blood on Kate and Allie.

Cybill probably felt the same way with Christine as well. And we all know what a war zone that became because of that Emmy win.

That's why I'm so glad Tyne Daly won that first season over Sharon Gless! And Tyne thanked all the Cagney's as well!

by Anonymousreply 92August 24, 2022 1:01 AM

The Golden Girls episode where Rose walks into the kitchen while they're getting weighed has Rose spouting out a crack that was total Sue Ann and not Rose at all, down to the smirk.

I'd rather spend one on one time with Bea. Something tells me that the conversation would be far more intellectual and cover more subjects than Betty could discuss comfortably.

by Anonymousreply 93August 24, 2022 1:12 AM

What was Susan St. James known for before Kate and Allie?

by Anonymousreply 94August 24, 2022 1:21 AM

MacMillan and Wife was a big hit in the 1970's. Plus she starred in a lot of TV movies.

by Anonymousreply 95August 24, 2022 1:23 AM

R74 get help

by Anonymousreply 96August 24, 2022 1:56 AM

There is an interview with Tony Thomas, where he shares some interesting insight. He says something along the lines of Bea just took this as an important job - learn your lines, act your best, see you tomorrow. This is business, I'm here because I was asked, and I'm making good money. Betty took it as an opportunity to play, interact with audience, and be a show woman. Rue was somewhere in between, and was just very grateful for the job. Bea and Betty were so different, that they got on each other's nerves after a few years, but nothing severe - just like any other coworkers who would disagree, or who had very different work styles.

It's interesting to me that there is still - after all these years - such a fascination with this show - and I include myself in that!

by Anonymousreply 97August 24, 2022 2:06 AM

I remember reading that Betty said the other three girls didn't congratulate after she won her Emmy, which I thought was sad. But if she made up shit like Estelle being an alcoholic, maybe she made that up as well.

by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2022 2:24 AM

Bea was the alcoholic, not Estelle.

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2022 2:32 AM

This is now a thread on another website.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2022 2:44 AM

R100 Cool story

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2022 2:53 AM

Bea was brilliant as Dorothy, but in Maude it was just her bellowing and shouting. Bea was also an alcoholic and drunks are never fun to be around during the day when they are craving a drink. Bea got lazy in Golden Girls, you could clearly see that she wasn’t interested and was reading cue cards. During season 5 it looked as if her drinking had really gotten out of hand given how rough she suddenly looked.

In the Golden Girls Forever book you had struggle to find any guest star who had anything nice to say about working with Bea. I’m sure she was nice to her friends, but just imagine having to work with her on a show for 7 years.

by Anonymousreply 102August 24, 2022 11:25 AM

I don’t know why Bea being a classically trained artiste who looked down on TV personalities is supposed to be a point in her favour. In fact, it makes her seem like an unprofessional dick.

I didn’t see her elite ass working with Olivier and Bergman and Fellini and Kubrick.

by Anonymousreply 103August 24, 2022 11:54 AM

The fact Betty only commented after Bea was dead and couldn't defend herself, shows Betty is a cuntess.

by Anonymousreply 104August 24, 2022 12:00 PM

[quote]What was Susan St. James known for before Kate and Allie?

She was a bitch. Frederick Koehler who played Jayne Curtain's son, said that she went around on the first day and made sure everyone knew SHE Was the star of the show.

by Anonymousreply 105August 24, 2022 12:02 PM

[quote]I think Betty was more like Sue Ann Nivens than Rose. Betty was strong.

You have to be that way, when you marry a gay man. Her step children hated her.

by Anonymousreply 106August 24, 2022 12:04 PM

[quote]Bea kept looking at women's butts and boobs.

Which is why Adrienne Barbeau replaced the original Coral.

by Anonymousreply 107August 24, 2022 12:05 PM

I got to interview Bea Arthur during her one woman show. She was reserved, but fairly warm. She seemed to enjoy the conversation. Her most vulnerable moments were about Mame. She was so bruised when talking about her ex husband manipulating her into doing it. I suspect her trust was hard won & when someone in her life compromised that trust and faith it devastated her. She couldn’t move on from it. And given her success, she didn’t need to. To hell with Gene Saks. Fuck you Betty White.

BTW I once did a show with Betty White. In 1997, so post GG. She couldn’t have been more lovely. But I suspect a little jaded. I mean what could be said to her that hadn’t been said before? Still she was gracious and engaged seeing that she was so relevant to younger performers. Total pro despite the fawning.

God bless them both. They left a lot of joy & laughter in their wake.

by Anonymousreply 108August 24, 2022 12:07 PM

I was the Betty to Kate Jackson’s Bea! Kate couldn’t handle my warm and effervescent personality.

by Anonymousreply 109August 24, 2022 12:20 PM

R100, which website stole our thread?

by Anonymousreply 110August 24, 2022 1:44 PM

Betty wasn’t a cunt because she had a different personality than reserved Bea, why does one of them have to be a villain? Of course they didn’t get along, they had completely clashing personalities.

It is also honestly a point against Bea if she thought being a a well regarded stage actress gave her the right to be unprofessional on a show in which she was meant to be on equal footing with everyone else. It’s pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 111August 24, 2022 1:57 PM

[quote] Anyway, Bea probably did find Betty irritating. Betty should just admit what happened instead of acting like she had no clue.

Yes, I’ll get right on that.

Very truly yours,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 24, 2022 2:32 PM

Bea had a chicken phobia:

"In one particular Golden Girls season two episode, Rose (played by White) brought home Count Bessie, a live chicken who can play the piano to show off to her housemates. The problem with this scene was that Arthur found it very difficult to stay in character when they acted out the scene in front of the audience. According to White, this was due to her acute chicken phobia and desire to be as far away from Count Bessie as possible. Arthur was fine during rehearsals of the episode because they used a toy chicken. However, Arthur couldn’t handle it when it was time to use the live chicken. White wrote, “When ‘Count Bessie’ arrived on the set, Bea turned pale as a ghost and split!” The producers eventually had to stage the scene such that Arthur was far away from White, who held the chicken. All the other actresses were also understanding and tried their best to make Arthur comfortable."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 24, 2022 4:24 PM

I’m sure this has probably been posted to DL a million times already, but I hadn’t seen it before.

[quote]. If one persistent rumor about Arthur still follows her into the afterlife, it’s that she and her Golden Girls co-star Betty White, who played the dippy Minnesotan Rose Nylund, had a contentious off-screen relationship. Saks says it isn’t entirely without merit. “My mom was the real deal,” he explains. “I think she felt she was more of an actress than Betty. Mom came from Broadway. Betty starred on a game show at one point.”

[quote] He continues: “When they shot the sitcom, sometimes they had to stop. My mom would stay concentrated, maybe stay backstage, stand in her place there. And sometimes Betty would go out and smile and chat with the audience and literally go and make friends with the audience. Which is a nice thing — a lot of them have come from all over the country and are fans. I think my mom didn’t dig that. It’s more about being focused or conserving your energy. It’s just not the right time to talk to fans between takes. Betty was able to do it and it didn’t seem to affect her. But it rubbed my mom the wrong way.” Still, Saks adds, “there was no fighting at all. They were friends. At one point they lived close enough that they would drive each other to work.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 24, 2022 6:21 PM

Damn Kate was on to me!

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2022 6:44 PM

[quote] Her most vulnerable moments were about Mame. She was so bruised when talking about her ex husband manipulating her into doing it.

You may already know, R108, but as I understand it, following 25 years of marriage, Saks went on to cheat on Bea, marry his mistress and have a child with her. Bea really endured her very own “Stan” experience. What a great guy Saks was.

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2022 7:05 PM

R108 yes. She made her thoughts abundantly clear. His loss. She’s an icon and he’s mostly forgotten. Last laugh, Maude.

by Anonymousreply 117August 24, 2022 8:04 PM

I think Saks will always be remembered for the 'imperfect' masterpiece that is the film Mame...

by Anonymousreply 118August 25, 2022 3:28 AM

Why did Bea hate the movie Mame? Was it because her secret lover Angela wasn't in it? I watched it last week for the first time and thought it was great!

by Anonymousreply 119August 25, 2022 10:57 AM

R105 Thanks for that info. That's hilarious Susan did that. The reason I watched the show was Jane. She was funny. Susan was fine but Jane was the star and carried the show.

by Anonymousreply 120August 25, 2022 2:54 PM

R105, when was that interview with Koehler? Because that must have made this 2021 reunion very awkward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2022 4:02 PM

Betty White was an actress. Of course she wasn't actually as sweet as Rose Nylund.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 25, 2022 4:24 PM

Bea had lots of phobias: chickens, gum chewing, backwards hats and probably more. I'm sure she had nightmares of Betty White chewing gum while holding a chicken. I still love Bea even if she was a big weirdo. Most celebrities are strange and very insecure. That's why they go into showbusiness.

by Anonymousreply 123August 25, 2022 5:18 PM

I’m 62 years old, must have known or met thousands of people in that time including many celebrities, pop stars, actors,, and never met anyone with even one of those phobias. Bea was just fucking weird, end of story.

by Anonymousreply 124August 25, 2022 7:23 PM

Bea studied acting with Erwin Piscator at the New School's Dramatic Workshop, alongside Marlon Brando, Rod Steiger, Ben Gazzara, Elaine Stritch, etc., and like them, she probably took her acting a little too seriously, internalizing everything and staying in character throughout the whole production. Betty, OTOH, was more Miss Showbiz than serious actress. She was always "on," entertaining her audience come rain or shine.

by Anonymousreply 125August 25, 2022 7:38 PM

Because you can’t entertain fans in the audience and be a “serious actress”.

I don’t buy this at all.

by Anonymousreply 126August 25, 2022 8:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 26, 2022 11:59 AM

It’s strange that in that clip Bea and Angela seem about the same height, of coursed Angela is probably wearing heals and Bea is wearing flats. Yet Bea just always looks so tall, even when she is only slightly talker than somebody next to her she seems so much taller.

Sorry I know this doesn’t make sense, but does anybody see what I’m getting at. I sometimes wonder if it’s the style of clothes that she always seems to wear, they seem to make her appear even taller than she is.

by Anonymousreply 128August 26, 2022 12:28 PM

[quote]of coursed Angela is probably wearing heals

Ms. Lansbury may be seen by some as unattractive, but to imply she’s a dog is unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 129August 26, 2022 12:42 PM

r128, yes. Even when Bea Arthur is around tall people, she always looks tall. I guess part of is that she wears long clothing.

by Anonymousreply 130August 26, 2022 12:52 PM

Wasn’t Bea really a man?

by Anonymousreply 131August 26, 2022 12:57 PM

I think the bottom line is Bea wanted to act like a serious actress, at the same time she wanted to be beloved by all and it probably made her SUPER jealous to watch Betty flirt with the audience inbetween takes and see her be “the favorite” so she probably lashed out at Betty.

Betty winning the Emmy over her in the first year probably cemented this.

This… to me…makes the most sense and explains why they were able to be “respectful” and not “feud” and yet at the same time have these little blowups from time to time and once the show was over…there was no reason for Betty and Bea to pretend they were besties.

Colleagues that were sometimes marred in jealousy, but not hated rivals and not best friends.

by Anonymousreply 132August 26, 2022 1:17 PM

Bea was earning a ton more money than the other three actresses. Given it was an ensemble show and all of actresses were vital to its success, Bea could have just banked the money and not been so difficult on set. She must have been a nightmare to work with for all concerned, they were probably walking on egg shells the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 133August 26, 2022 2:31 PM

Who was the most flatulent?

by Anonymousreply 134August 26, 2022 2:33 PM

In the GG opening credits, Bea is in every single shot with the exception of the title cards of the other actresses. It’s always Bea-Betty, Bea-Rue, or Bea-Estelle. I wonder if that was done to appease Bea during early negotiations.

by Anonymousreply 135August 26, 2022 2:48 PM

All four GG's are sucking cocks in hell. They were all evil wenches.

by Anonymousreply 136August 26, 2022 3:22 PM

Getting back to Betty's behavior, don't forget she was an only child and a graduate of Beverly Hills High School. The combination of those two really helped solidify her as the true center of the universe.

by Anonymousreply 137August 26, 2022 3:52 PM

I've posted this before, but a good friend was on the GG production staff and never witnessed or heard of any tension or disagreements among that cast. My friend believes this story just took on a life of its own in the decades since the show ended.

Having said that, I attended several GG tapings and Betty was on only cast member to acknowledge the studio audience between takes (and the studio audience, of course, went wild every time). Bea and Rue never broke the fourth wall between scenes and would be visibly perturbed if taping ran late. Not Betty (or Estelle, for that matter).

by Anonymousreply 138August 26, 2022 3:59 PM

Does anyone else remember seeing Bea’s one-woman show many many years ago? I saw it in Toronto and it was pretty underwhelming but I clearly remember her saying at one point “I worked with with three women for 7 years on a little show called The Golden Girls, two of them were an absolute dream, and one of them was a cunt!” That line got the biggest response of anything in the whole show!

by Anonymousreply 139August 26, 2022 4:21 PM

Bea's one woman show was overshadowed by Elaine Stritch's one woman show, which was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 140August 26, 2022 4:57 PM

And yet Bea was an all-around better talent than that miserable lush.

by Anonymousreply 141August 26, 2022 5:00 PM

I saw her show in San Francisco in 2001. I don’t think she used that line in the show. Then again I was sitting near Bruce Vilanch, and he was undressing me with his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 142August 26, 2022 5:04 PM

I saw Bea's show and that line wasn't it. HOWEVER, Michael Musto famously quoted her saying it in his gossip column, and that's when the feud tale went public and took off.

by Anonymousreply 143August 26, 2022 5:13 PM

Yeah, that cunt story sounds pretty apocryphal.

by Anonymousreply 144August 26, 2022 5:23 PM

Bea sounds like she was a cunt also, so they were two peas in a pod.

by Anonymousreply 145August 26, 2022 5:34 PM

Rue recounted a story where referred to Betty as a cunt at Bea’s memorial service. I was there. Sitting right behind Adrienne Barbeau. Angela was the hostess. Zoe Caldwell (who was Bea’s neighbor and friend up in Westchester) also spoke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 26, 2022 5:43 PM

Sorry, where *Bea referred

by Anonymousreply 147August 26, 2022 5:45 PM

R127, Angela is 5'8 1/2 and Bea was 5'9 1/2. They look like lovers in that video.

by Anonymousreply 148August 26, 2022 5:58 PM

The whole Bea/Betty thing has been talked about at length, but I think it comes down to a case of opposites butting heads with a little bit of jealousy. Bea was an introvert who came from Broadway and believed in maintaining the fourth wall between actor and audience. Betty came from television where interacting with the audience was part of the process, particularly back in the day of taped sitcoms with a 24 minute show could take hours to film and you have to keep the audience energy up. It allegedly drove Bea nuts that Betty was always "on" and interacting with the audience. Also Bea's son has sad that she was the type of person who needed someone to be angry with and on Golden Girls it was Betty White.

Additionally, people involved with show have also suggested there was some underlying jealous on Bea's part towards Betty. Bea was very self-conscious and always said she wanted to be the "blonde starlet, American sweetheart) type which Betty was. When they were taping episodes, the audience always sided with Betty because she interacted to them and Bea shy and reserved just couldn't do it. Bea was furious when Betty won the Emmy that first year, and she wasn't too thrilled when Rue won it the next year. Bea also was never really happy on the Golden Girls, which is well-documented. She saw it as something of a demotion having gone to being the star on Maude to being one of four stars on GG.

That being said, Bea and Betty's "feud" didn't really affect the show much. It was not like on other shows where actors who don't get on refuse to speak or fight openly. Whatever tensions there were, it rarely interfered with their work. I also think after the show ended, Bea played up her hatred of Betty because it got laughs. That's not to say she loved Betty, but there was at least some underlying professional respect.

As for this story, while I do think it probably happened (there are plenty of bloopers with Betty White on various shows with saying stuff like this to the audience) I don't think Bea would've taken Betty aside during a taping and chewed her out. Perhaps between scenes or after the taping or something yes. But that would go against Bea's theater training.

by Anonymousreply 149August 26, 2022 7:28 PM

[quote] Ms. Lansbury may be seen by some as unattractive, but to imply she’s a dog is unnecessary.

Dogs "heel," not "heal." (Unless they're recovering from an injury.)

by Anonymousreply 150August 26, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote] Bea and Rue never broke the fourth wall between scenes and would be visibly perturbed if taping ran late.

Is it "breaking the fourth wall" if you're filming before a live audience and between scenes? Don't they actually want the audience to be cheerful, lively, and laughing? Don't they actually use hype people to get the audience in the mood? I don't understand what's wrong with Betty being friendly to the audience unless it's causing a lot of lateness.

by Anonymousreply 151August 26, 2022 8:06 PM

[quote]Bea was an introvert who came from Broadway

I’ll never understand why an introvert would want to be an actor. On stage in front of all those people?

by Anonymousreply 152August 26, 2022 9:05 PM

Jesus, r149, proofread!

by Anonymousreply 153August 26, 2022 9:06 PM

[quote]Dogs "heel," not "heal." (Unless they're recovering from an injury.)

True enough, but I guarantee Angela wasn’t wearing “heals.”

by Anonymousreply 154August 26, 2022 9:07 PM

Bea looked like Angela's husband Peter Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 155August 26, 2022 9:09 PM

^ Oh heavens no, my husband's dick wasn't nearly that BIG!

by Anonymousreply 156August 26, 2022 9:23 PM

[quote]In the GG opening credits, Bea is in every single shot with the exception of the title cards of the other actresses. It’s always Bea-Betty, Bea-Rue, or Bea-Estelle. I wonder if that was done to appease Bea during early negotiations.

As mentioned earlier, Bea was the biggest star out of all of them at the time Golden Girls started. Maude was a top ten hit for its first four seasons and finished in the top five for two of those seasons. It drew 23-25 million viewers per episode. Amanda's didn't fare well, but it was still her show. She had that clout going into Golden Girls. She was the biggest star.

Betty was famous, but it wasn't on the same level. Most of her fame came from daytime TV, which had a nice sized audience, but not on the level of prime time . Aside from her supporting role on Mary Tyler Moore, her prime-time TV work was guest appearances. Her own attempt at a show bombed. She was doing guest work on Mama's Family and a short-lived daytime game show at the time of Golden Girls.

Also, Bea (and Rue) had the caveat of working with Norman Lear, which carried a lot of prestige.

by Anonymousreply 157August 26, 2022 9:44 PM

Muriel should offer a Phd in Golden Girls studies. This thread would be compulsory reading.

by Anonymousreply 158August 26, 2022 10:09 PM

r157: "Aside from [Betty's] supporting role on Mary Tyler Moore"

This thread is one of the stupidest in history. But to clear things up, MTM was wildly popular back when that meant massive numbers of eyeballs were watching you. And Betty White won 2 Emmys on MTM. There's not much else "aside" from that.

by Anonymousreply 159August 26, 2022 11:26 PM

I think Bea was a bit like Lucille Ball when it came to filming, let’s get it done in an hour so I can get to the restaurant for my dinner reservation. Betty liked playing to the audience. If you watch the blooper reels you can often see Bea trying to stay in character in the background while Betty is talking to the audience. The two probably clashed over this.

by Anonymousreply 160August 26, 2022 11:29 PM

^wrong! we clashed over who was better at eating rue's pussy while estelle ate out our assholes

by Anonymousreply 161August 26, 2022 11:32 PM

Betty was a well known cunt and it wasn't just her character on MTM. She couldn't stand not to have attention.

And was such a cunt she waited until Bea died to spread shit about her... while fishing for pity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 26, 2022 11:33 PM

Channeling my inner Blanche to ask R142, what WOULD Bruce see with his x-ray eyes that night?

by Anonymousreply 163August 26, 2022 11:38 PM

I’m going to share a bit of gossip.

Elaine Stritch had lunch with Bea Arthur. Now Elaine said that Bea Arthur could swear with the best of them, but even she was surprised when the subject of Betty White came up and Bea called her a cvnt.

by Anonymousreply 164August 27, 2022 3:25 AM

I don’t believe for a minute that Bea was 5ft 9.5 inches tall. She looks like a strapping 6 footer to my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 165August 27, 2022 8:02 AM

Agreed. IN my eyes, Bea is at least 6 foot.

by Anonymousreply 166August 27, 2022 8:33 AM

Bea was a strapping tall man.

by Anonymousreply 167August 27, 2022 10:06 AM

Rue should have won a second Emmy for the Rusty Anchor episode or the one where George "returns" from the dead.

It was ridiculous that Betty was nominated for every season yet it was Rue who knocked it out of the park when given a chance for the whole run.

by Anonymousreply 168August 27, 2022 10:20 AM

I think that lizard of Bea also that she was dropped from the Emmys for seasons 5-7 while Betty remained.

I agree, Rue deserved the nomination from season 7, if it was only going to one.

by Anonymousreply 169August 27, 2022 10:53 AM

R165 that's because she was standing next to 4'10 Estelle most of the time. Everyone looked like Godzilla standing next to her.

by Anonymousreply 170August 27, 2022 10:56 AM

R168 I’d rank Betty last out of the “girls” every season. The other three were funnier.

by Anonymousreply 171August 27, 2022 10:58 AM

It’s often that way with a star.

Look at Killing Eve. That was billed as a Sandra Oh vehicle. Comer stole the show and Oh’s character wasn’t nearly as interesting and her performance not nearly as noteworthy, but she garnered obligatory Emmy noms.

by Anonymousreply 172August 27, 2022 11:04 AM

R172 So basically the Emmy’s are a bullshit popularity contest.

by Anonymousreply 173August 27, 2022 11:05 AM

R172, Comer didn’t steal anything. Comer’s role is more interesting. The aggressor is always more interesting than the victim. Sandra Oh should have read the script before signing the contract.

by Anonymousreply 174August 27, 2022 11:08 AM

That’s news? I mean, people were angry that Selena Fucking Gomez didn’t get nominated this year. Um, didn’t the fact that she’s a pretty bad actress clue anyone in?

by Anonymousreply 175August 27, 2022 11:10 AM

R170 Nancy Walker looked tall next to her.

by Anonymousreply 176August 27, 2022 11:11 AM

We've had this exact sotry/thread/debate, dozens of times already.

Isn't there some straight douchebro you should all be drooling over?

by Anonymousreply 177August 27, 2022 11:14 AM

R157 It's amazing that despite never being the solo star of a popular TV show, Betty not only had an incredible career longevity, but also was considered an A-lister and a national treasure, bigger than many movie stars. She knew how to play the game.

by Anonymousreply 178August 27, 2022 11:19 AM

Didn't Bea pretty much give up the stage after Maude except for her one woman show? I did see her in Woody Allen's The Floating Lightbulb(a rare play from him) at I believe the Vivian Beamont. She was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 179August 27, 2022 11:44 AM

There is an interview with Bea on you tube. It really rankled that she was never the pretty or beautiful type. She said she wanted to be in a show where she got the final bow and was dressed in white. It never happened.

by Anonymousreply 180August 27, 2022 11:49 AM

I think Estelle should've won for season 6 and 7. She was her funniest then. I thought Bea should've also won for for season 7.

by Anonymousreply 181August 27, 2022 12:17 PM

Bea should’ve win an Emmy for shitting on Betty’s dressing room floor.

by Anonymousreply 182August 27, 2022 12:19 PM

R87 - Wow, looks like Cher had great on-set make up. That red hair does nothing for her.

by Anonymousreply 183August 27, 2022 12:31 PM

I was there. I lent Betty my shitbra, which she used to beat Vea with.

by Anonymousreply 184August 27, 2022 12:41 PM

R177 Yet here you are taking part.

by Anonymousreply 185August 27, 2022 1:42 PM

Also I think Bea was also the only one of the 4 who received a percentage of the profits

by Anonymousreply 186August 27, 2022 1:44 PM

There is an episode of Maude where Bea does a monologue for the entire show. Boring episode but she really worked hard.

by Anonymousreply 187August 27, 2022 2:06 PM

[quote] Oh heavens no, my husband's dick wasn't nearly that BIG!

This reminds me of the time comedian Jeffrey Ross said during a roast, at which both were present, that he wouldn't fuck Sandra Bernhard with Bea Arthur's dick. It brought the house down and Bea stared daggers.

by Anonymousreply 188August 27, 2022 2:07 PM

Ooops. Looks like R162 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 189August 27, 2022 2:13 PM

Bea got a percentage of the profits but there was an interview where she was tangled in legal with the company because she wasn’t receiving them how she should have.

Rue lost her money towards the end in the Bernie Madoff catastrophe according to Leslie Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 190August 27, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote]This thread is one of the stupidest in history. But to clear things up, MTM was wildly popular back when that meant massive numbers of eyeballs were watching you. And Betty White won 2 Emmys on MTM. There's not much else "aside" from that.

Emmys are based on industry popularity, not public popularity. And Betty's two were in SUPPORTING. Bea won once and was nominated five times in LEAD.

Maude also ranked higher in the ratings than Mary Tyler Moore the whole time that both shows were on the air at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 191August 27, 2022 5:08 PM

When I used to visit my mother. She was always watching All in the Family and Maude reruns. All I heard was a lot of shouting and laugh tracks.

by Anonymousreply 192August 27, 2022 5:58 PM

In Journey To The Center Of Attention, Rue almost hit Betty with her microphone. It starts at 19:38. You can tell Betty is scared to be hit and then Bea sees how close the microphone is to Betty's head and she gets scared too. I wonder if there were any accidents on GG. There's also Bea being very impressed by Rue's butt at 17:32. I wonder why they didn't release more bloopers from the later seasons. Most of the bloopers are from the first seasons.

by Anonymousreply 193August 27, 2022 6:57 PM

Oops, forgot the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 27, 2022 6:58 PM

I love Bea's work, but she was an old drunk and a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 195August 27, 2022 7:02 PM

[quote] There is an episode of Maude where Bea does a monologue for the entire show. Boring episode but she really worked hard.

It's SO boring it's usually cited as a viewer favorite and...oh yeah, Bea won the Emmy for it.

Tres boring!

by Anonymousreply 196August 27, 2022 7:04 PM

[quote] So basically the Emmys are a bullshit popularity contest.

You're just now figuring that out?

by Anonymousreply 197August 27, 2022 7:04 PM

Journey to the Center of Attention is probably my #1 favorite episode of GG. (Blanche persuades homebody Dorothy to join her at the Rusty Anchor; Dorothy takes over the bar with her good singing voice.) I'll have to look and see if that mic almost hit Betty.

"Journey" had a shitty B-plot, though, involving, of course, Rose. Rose had a wake service for a very alive Sophia and forgot to tell invited guests that Sophia didn't die.

by Anonymousreply 198August 27, 2022 7:06 PM

[quote]r52 Bea rightfully had no rational reason to be envious of Betty White

Bea might have resented that Betty had a conventionally girlish, flirtatious persona while she herself had always been sidelined as a towering, blunt faced character actress. It hurt her feelings that she was not considered attractive enough for the title role in MAME and was instead given a supporting part, for instance.

There was some bitterness there.

by Anonymousreply 199August 27, 2022 8:07 PM

R198, dude! Spoiler alert!

by Anonymousreply 200August 27, 2022 8:08 PM

[quote]r74 Why did they go to lunch every day?

Was it always the two of them, or any of the 4 who wanted to go?

by Anonymousreply 201August 27, 2022 8:12 PM

[quote]R94 What was Susan St. James known for before Kate and Allie?

[quote]r95 MacMillan and Wife was a big hit in the 1970's. Plus she starred in a lot of TV movies.

She was also in the surprise hit LOVE AT FIRST BITE (1979)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 27, 2022 8:20 PM

R201, Rue said that Bea didn't want to go to lunch with her if Betty wasn't going. Bea would wait for Betty and then take her hand and they would go to lunch.

by Anonymousreply 203August 27, 2022 8:21 PM

It was also a fucking disgrace none of them won a Golden Globe apart from old gheko face. They were legends of comedy

by Anonymousreply 204August 27, 2022 8:27 PM

Cybill Shepherd being very gracious about being nominated alongside the Golden Girls cast (02:20 mark)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 27, 2022 8:34 PM

Either Bea really insisted on having lunch every day with Betty and even held her hand while doing so, or she repeatedly called Betty a cunt. I don't believe that both are true.

Sure, people can be complicated, etc, but we're talking Multiple Personality Disorder with those shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 206August 27, 2022 8:35 PM

I think Bea was also bitter back in the 1960s because she was cast as Yenta in Fiddler on the Roof and then they cut per role way down to glorified chorus.

by Anonymousreply 207August 27, 2022 8:40 PM

Bea was a goddamn drunk. Those people are always up and down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 27, 2022 8:41 PM

[quote] Either Bea really insisted on having lunch every day with Betty and even held her hand while doing so, or she repeatedly called Betty a cunt. I don't believe that both are true.

Yes, which was it? I’m annoyed at the radio host in OP’s video for not asking the old guy this question. There probably aren’t many people still alive who were there and can tell us!

by Anonymousreply 209August 27, 2022 8:45 PM

[quote] "Journey" had a shitty B-plot, though

At least there was an arc to that subplot.

by Anonymousreply 210August 27, 2022 9:05 PM

I think Rue answered that question at Bea's Memorial.

by Anonymousreply 211August 28, 2022 12:24 AM

I think Rue was making a joke.

by Anonymousreply 212August 28, 2022 1:04 AM

R201 Any of the 4

by Anonymousreply 213August 28, 2022 1:49 AM

The NBC production of the tension behind the scenes of 'The Golden Girls' did include the feces incident. Jane Krakowski, in a puffy blond wig, played Betty White. Betty actually stepped in it, in a series of close ups, looked horrified, then ran to throw up in her dressing room toilet as the segment faded to commercial. It was frank, unsettling and unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 214August 28, 2022 2:20 AM

R33 NAILS it. I had the sincere honor of having lunch with Bea, circa 1999. She very much preferred the theater. She told me with TV, you get one chance at it, and it's gone. With theater, you could continue to find moments, and really perfect your performance over time.

Bea was not like her TV characters. She was shy, yet somewhat imperious. She didn't crack wise like Dorothy or Maude. I guess she was somewhat neurotic, but in different ways than her characters.

So, yes, Betty was there to have fun, and didn't take acting seriously. I'm sure this began to annoy Bea. And by year seven She really needed it to end.

by Anonymousreply 215August 28, 2022 2:30 AM

R215 The words you are looking for are drunken miserable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 216August 28, 2022 8:02 AM

Bea was very troubled. Having a penis and vagina before it was fashionable placed a huge burden on his/her mental health.

Today Bea would be a huger internet sensation and instagram influencer.

by Anonymousreply 217August 28, 2022 8:28 AM

R217 Meh, you tried too hard

by Anonymousreply 218August 28, 2022 9:27 AM

Can we get back to why Bea, Rue and Betty never won a Golden Globe and why Rue wasn't even Emmy nominated for Journey To The Centre Of Attention?!

by Anonymousreply 219August 28, 2022 11:06 AM

R219 and Rue said that was her favorite episode

by Anonymousreply 220August 28, 2022 11:10 AM

R220. Yeah, cunt. You have probably repeated that ten million times already in these god awful threads.

by Anonymousreply 221August 28, 2022 11:50 AM

Can anyone name an episode where Betty or Bea truly shone in the later seasons, they way Rue did in the Rusty Anchor or George returns episodes? She was even outstanding in the "Makes me feel like a lady" and "Grammy" episode

by Anonymousreply 222August 28, 2022 12:04 PM

How different might the show have been if Dorothy had been played by foul-mouthed drunk Elaine Stritch or patrician-faced mope Lee Grant, both of whom were serious contenders if Arthur wouldn't sign?

by Anonymousreply 223August 28, 2022 1:44 PM

I thought that Rue was the best actress throughout the whole of the seven year run of the show. Some actors just grab a part and run with it, Larry Hagman did the same with Dallas. But for me the Rusty Anchor episode was not one of my favourites. Maybe it’s because there was too much of Bea singing, or bellowing would be more accurate a description.

But they were all great and the show has really aged well, it’s always fun to watch. I read the other day that Betty was earning $3 million a year for repeats of the show, could that be true?

by Anonymousreply 224August 28, 2022 2:00 PM

In a perfect world...

Season 4: Estelle should've won for Yes, We Have No Havanas and Bea should've won for Foreign Exchange and Yes, We Have No Havanas should've won for Best Writing.

Season 5: Rue should've won an Emmy for The Accurate Conception and Bea should've won for All Bets Are Off.

Season 6: Estelle should've won for Girls Just Wanna Have... Before They Die and Rue should've won for Sister of The Bride.

Season 7: The Case of the Libertine Belle should've won Best Writing, Bea should've won for The Monkey Show, Rue should've won for Journey to the Center of Attention and Estelle should've won for Goodbye, Mr. Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 225August 28, 2022 2:06 PM

And I would've won Best Guest Star! Whoo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226August 28, 2022 2:07 PM

[quote]r217 Bea was very troubled. Having a penis and vagina before it was fashionable placed a huge burden on his/her mental health.

I believe she talked once about feeling bad she didn’t pave the way for Jamie Lee Curtis etc. to come out with her/his secret. That was really near the end, tho.

by Anonymousreply 227August 28, 2022 3:19 PM

Welcome back, R221! Enjoying the threads, I see. Thanks for continuing to bump!

by Anonymousreply 228August 28, 2022 4:03 PM

I have R221 blocked,

by Anonymousreply 229August 28, 2022 4:08 PM

R229 Wise move - it seems "special"

by Anonymousreply 230August 28, 2022 4:10 PM

Betty White wins 1987 Comedy Award and calls Bea Arthur "Beasy". She used to call Rue "Ruesy". That's a sign of affection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 28, 2022 4:23 PM

^ Here's the short answer to OP's question - Bea wanted to win and to be as popular as Betty was in Hollywood circles.

by Anonymousreply 232August 28, 2022 4:34 PM

How dare she call me "Beasy" in front of the entire Television Academy!

by Anonymousreply 233August 28, 2022 4:35 PM

Bea to Rue: “Is the cunt finally ready to go to lunch? I’m hungry!!!”

by Anonymousreply 234August 28, 2022 4:43 PM

[quote] So, yes, Betty was there to have fun, and didn't take acting seriously.

Although Rose was my least-favorite character, I think Betty did a good job with what was given to her. I think it was a poorly-written role.

I enjoyed Bea singing "Hard-Hearted Hannah," which they played in the closing credits only, not the body of "Journey to the Center of Attention." I enjoyed all the male character actors (Rusty Anchor denizens) in the episode.

by Anonymousreply 235August 28, 2022 5:24 PM

The day I took a shit ten looked at it before I flushed

by Anonymousreply 236August 28, 2022 5:26 PM

[quote]Although Rose was my least-favorite character, I think Betty did a good job with what was given to her. I think it was a poorly-written role.

I loved Rose. I agree that the St. Olaf stories could be tedious, and were never as good at the Sicily ones. But Betty had some laugh out loud moments with simple, throw away material.

Like when Becky arrives. "It's just that we didn't expect you to be this fat"

Or when the blind guy came in and asks Rose for a hand, and she starts clapping.

For some reason, Betty made those moments really work.

by Anonymousreply 237August 28, 2022 5:30 PM

Bea went up on a line?

Bea said don’t you ever stand me up?

What the fuck does any of this mean?

by Anonymousreply 238August 28, 2022 5:31 PM

Bea was a serious alcoholic. No one liked her on Golden Girls, not even Estelle. The cast routinely had to apologize to guest cast for Bea’s behavior. I have two friends that knew and worked with Bea over the years. Bea would go on drunk tirades about Betty. She was also a bit of a weirdo. She walked around her neighborhood with no shoes on, even in the street. She would never admit to having been in the service either. We also all know the story about her throwing a fit at the TSA, throwing her shit at them and screaming, “The terrorists! The terrorists!” Bea was talented but a goddamn nightmare to be around.

by Anonymousreply 239August 28, 2022 5:35 PM

Anyone remember Bea doing the Urkel dance at the Emmy awards?

by Anonymousreply 240August 28, 2022 5:36 PM

Bea hated anyone who was attractive.

by Anonymousreply 241August 28, 2022 5:39 PM

R237 or - “she just thought you were a lesbian.”

by Anonymousreply 242August 28, 2022 5:42 PM

"Bea hated anyone who was attractive"

She loved Rue and LOVED Angela Lansbury. During her one woman show, she described Angela as gorgeous. She also said she worshipped Tallulah Bankhead and thought she was stunninly beautiful (she wasn't). I think Bea loved brilliant theatre actors. She probably felt is was her duty to "civilize" tv actors like Betty but Betty just wanted to have fun like she did on MTM.

by Anonymousreply 243August 28, 2022 6:00 PM

Did Bea get along with Hermione Baddeley? I thought she was very funny on Maude.

by Anonymousreply 244August 28, 2022 6:47 PM

No she apparently complained that Hermione was a compulsive farter and thus made the set very unpleasant with her continuous emissions

by Anonymousreply 245August 28, 2022 6:59 PM

A lot of women check out other women’s bodies to size them up /as a competition thing - you see it the most at a hotel or rooftop pool. Are her thighs bigger than mine ? Does she work out more than me ? Does her butt have more cellulite? Etc

by Anonymousreply 246August 28, 2022 9:01 PM

Yes R246, and?

by Anonymousreply 247August 28, 2022 9:14 PM

R247 it’s not necessarily lesbionic. Maybe Bea was just jealous of her Maude daughter’s perky tits.

by Anonymousreply 248August 28, 2022 9:33 PM

All four had brillinat timing and delivery, the show is a master class on comedic acting. However, from a dramatic perspective, I think Rue was the best technician of all the women, her shifts from beat to beat are very clear and she can access honest emotion quite well. Betty tends toward the same choice of looking to the side/off-camera when she wants to convey sincerity or depth. Bea noticably struggles trying to convey extreme joy or despair. Estelle is the most uneven with her dramatic stuff, it can either be very cliched or poignant.

by Anonymousreply 249August 28, 2022 9:34 PM

Bea also said that Estelle was a constant farter so they wrote many farts into the story where Sophia would fart.

by Anonymousreply 250August 28, 2022 11:38 PM

^is that true? If so, not cool Bea. I think I’d rather have a reputation as a drinker versus a farter.

by Anonymousreply 251August 29, 2022 12:08 AM

The fart jokes were actually funny. It was plausible that Sophia would sit quietly and let out a Silent But Deadly.

by Anonymousreply 252August 29, 2022 12:11 AM

Dorothy: If I closed my eyes, I'd swear I was in Ecuador

Sophia: Sorry, that was me.

by Anonymousreply 253August 29, 2022 2:05 AM

[quote]r246 A lot of women check out other women’s bodies to size them up /as a competition thing - Are her thighs bigger than mine ? Does she work out more than me ? Does her butt have more cellulite? Etc

You think men don’t measure up other men?

by Anonymousreply 254August 29, 2022 2:51 AM

R248 well Bea did not stare at Adrienne's boobs on Maude. She stared at other women's boobs and butts. Bea also had a breast reduction between Maude and Golden Girls so I don't think she was jealous of Adrienne's ample bosom. If you watch Maude carefully, she stares at attractive women often when she thinks the camera isn't on her but it is. For example, she's having a conversation with Rue and Bea's back is to the camera but we can still see the side of her face and her eyelashes while we can see Rue speaking. When Rue is looking at Bea, Bea is looking at her in the eyes but as soon as Rue stops looking at her, Bea's stare goes straight to Rue's boobs. Then Rue looks at Bea again and Bea's eyelashes go back up to meet Rue's stare. This happens so many times with Rue and other women. Other times, it's just extremely obvious like here: watch it from 3:06

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 29, 2022 11:05 AM

Damm wrong season, wrong episode. Here starting at 3:06

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 29, 2022 11:07 AM

I don't know why Bea had a breast reduction. I found her quite foxy in many episodes of Maude because of her nice rack and the dresses she wore complimented her tall, statuesque figure perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 257August 29, 2022 5:06 PM

[quote] I think Betty did a good job with what was given to her. I think it was a poorly-written role.

Rose annoyed me in the same way Ted Baxter annoyed me on MTM, but in later years I appreciated the skill both actors had to bring to the table to be convincingly stupid/narcissistic, and yet still make the audience like them.

by Anonymousreply 258August 29, 2022 5:10 PM

[quote]the dresses she wore complimented her

Her dresses spoke to her?

by Anonymousreply 259August 29, 2022 5:10 PM

R256, I don't see anything. She's supposed to be noticing / checking out / ogling the young woman's body.

by Anonymousreply 260August 29, 2022 5:33 PM

The turds are insinuating our man Bea is a poon hound. He's a red blooded American male. He allowed to seek the poon.

by Anonymousreply 261August 29, 2022 7:18 PM

R260, she says "Come on Arthur, this is BoysTown for middle aged boys. The highlight of their day is watching the waitress in the coffee shop bend over to scoop ice cream." Then two young blondes arrive, they bend over and she stares at their asses. She does exactly what she accuses the men of doing. She didn't have to check out the girls that way but that's what Bea has done during her entire career if you watch her carefully.

by Anonymousreply 262August 29, 2022 7:41 PM

Thanks, R262, I'll try to watch again.

by Anonymousreply 263August 29, 2022 7:49 PM

What about Betty- was her hubby Allen Ludden really gay? I kept reading that here in DL.

by Anonymousreply 264August 29, 2022 7:56 PM

Did Bea really shit on Betty’s dressing room floor? I say yes! Bea hated Betty.

by Anonymousreply 265August 29, 2022 8:24 PM

Have you all forgotten this deliciousness at Bea's memorial? Wait for it. Rue delivers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266August 29, 2022 8:30 PM

R255, you claimed that Bea didn't look at Adrienne's boobs, but at 2:54 and 3:03 in your clip, Bea is doing just that.

by Anonymousreply 267August 30, 2022 1:23 AM

I can't believe it took 40 replies for someone to mention the rumor that Bea Arthur left a steamer in Betty's dressing room. I know it isn't true (maybe) but it's lore.

by Anonymousreply 268August 30, 2022 1:26 AM

It's all a matter of bone structure. And Bea's wasn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 269August 30, 2022 2:39 AM

R258 Fuck off, narcissism troll. You clearly have no clue what the term means. Rose was not a narcissist at all. She was a moron who took everything LITERALLY. She played the moronic bimbo well. Fuck off with your narcissism claims.

by Anonymousreply 270August 30, 2022 10:13 AM

R270 Are you 12-years-old? Getting this angry over someone else's opinion? How Trumpian of you.

by Anonymousreply 271August 30, 2022 11:11 AM

People fight all the time.

by Anonymousreply 272August 30, 2022 11:43 AM

[quote]Betty wasn’t a cunt because she had a different personality than reserved Bea, why does one of them have to be a villain?

Betty was a cunt. Her own stepchildren hated her.

by Anonymousreply 273August 30, 2022 11:48 AM

[quoteg]etting this angry over someone else's opinion? How Trumpian of you.

What? Trump doesn't do this. AOL does, Biden does, Mad Maxine does, Jolly Somali does. They all hate when anyone has an opinion differing from there's.

If you don't like Trump fine, but are you really so clueless you don't see how the Democrats are the ones against free speech?

by Anonymousreply 274August 30, 2022 11:49 AM

Who's the moron who brought Trump/politics into this thread. Trolls...

by Anonymousreply 275August 30, 2022 11:56 AM

[quote]If you watch Maude carefully, she stares at attractive women often when she thinks the camera isn't on her but it is.

Bea absolutely knew when the camera was on her. I don't care if she ogled hot women or not, but you're not going to convince me that she was such a newbie that she didn't know when the camera was on her.

by Anonymousreply 276August 30, 2022 12:03 PM

Bea liked snatch.

by Anonymousreply 277August 30, 2022 1:18 PM

[quote] They all hate when anyone has an opinion differing from there's.

Oh, dear!

Considering the source, though, I’m not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 278August 30, 2022 1:23 PM

R271 Fuck off, narcissism troll. In every thread you claim it is all about narcissism. A term that doesn't even exist. You are a worse troll than fucking Darfur orphan.

by Anonymousreply 279August 30, 2022 2:42 PM

R273 Where is the evidence her stepchildren hated her?

by Anonymousreply 280August 30, 2022 3:13 PM

So both Bea and Betty had sapphic rumors? I never heard any for Rue. I think she even jokingly said she's a lot like Blanche - a slut.

by Anonymousreply 281August 30, 2022 6:39 PM

Rue loved cock, she was married five times.

by Anonymousreply 282August 30, 2022 9:30 PM

Did Betty have white pubes like her hair?

by Anonymousreply 283August 30, 2022 9:41 PM

Bea had the white pubes.

by Anonymousreply 284August 30, 2022 9:43 PM

I truly hate the dumb scatological rumor about Bea. It's so gross. Damn near keeps me away from these threads. Not funny either. Boring and disgusting.

The person who INSISTS that Betty and Bea had no tension between them is bizarre to me. Even Betty White eventually copped to it. Just because early on, Bea wanted all the girls to eat together doesn't mean that later on Bea didn't come to have problems with Betty and the way she worked. Grow up. They were not the characters they played in the show, They were real life, flawed, insecure adults. No different from anyone, and just as susceptible to work place politics.

by Anonymousreply 285August 30, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote] Rue loved cock, she was married five times.

True. But she had far more husbands than that.

by Anonymousreply 286August 30, 2022 9:57 PM

I've never heard of these people.

by Anonymousreply 287August 31, 2022 7:02 AM

What show was this? What year? And why can't someone post the whole thing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288August 31, 2022 3:00 PM

R287’s post made me wonder how it might have been if Bea Arthur had been cast as Doris in Postcards From The Edge. 🤔

by Anonymousreply 289August 31, 2022 3:07 PM

^ Stupid ^

by Anonymousreply 290September 1, 2022 4:38 AM

Those ugly pant suits did the manly Bea no favor in Maude.

by Anonymousreply 291September 1, 2022 11:21 AM

R291 - It was the early-mid 70s. Everything was fucking ugly. That was an extraordinarily visually assaultive decade.

by Anonymousreply 292September 1, 2022 11:31 AM

Funny Golden Globes moment in 1991 with our Golden Girls. God I miss those old award shows before all this woke nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293September 1, 2022 12:23 PM

[quote]Did Bea really shit on Betty’s dressing room floor? I say yes! Bea hated Betty.

I'd never heard that version before reading this thread. I've always read she dumped in Betty's dressing room toilet and then left without flushing.

by Anonymousreply 294September 1, 2022 2:18 PM

R293 look Rose Jimmy Smits!

by Anonymousreply 295September 1, 2022 4:29 PM

[quote]r291 Those ugly pant suits did the manly Bea no favor in Maude.

Agreed. She needed more floor length vests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296September 1, 2022 7:51 PM

Apart from her blonde hair and big hooters Betty wasn't really that pretty. Rue was beautiful in her youth even if she looks like she was smacked with a shovel in later life

by Anonymousreply 297September 1, 2022 7:55 PM

It's clear from R296's vid that the poor costumer on Maude received a 'gift' on the floor of her dressing room when she asked Bea to do a fitting after dress rehearsal...

by Anonymousreply 298September 1, 2022 7:59 PM

[quote]r292 It was the early-mid 70s. Everything was fucking ugly. That was an extraordinarily visually assaultive decade.

Yves Saint Laurent did good pants suits. But by the time the style trickled down to the mass market it sometimes got wretched.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 1, 2022 8:01 PM

a YSL 70s pants suit is in the Met collection.

[quote] By 1970, with the acceptance of trouser suits, the Western woman's silhouette accommodated bifurcation for the first time. Yves Saint Laurent, a designer extremely sensitive to social trends, responded to the May student uprisings in 1968 by creating a line of women's tailored trouser suits. Based on the "African" theme, he created a "Safari" suit for his spring/summer 1968 collection, transforming the functional hunting outfit into townwear for women. Two years earlier, Saint Laurent had introduced his "City" trouser suit, which was intended to play the same role as a man's suit. Although trousers had been acceptable as an element of Orientalizing ensembles, for sport, as loungewear, and as an expression of iconoclasm by celebrities like Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, and Katharine Hepburn, they had never been acceptable townwear for a fashionable woman. This radical shift is commensurate with the remarkable ascent of women in society during the 1970s.

I remember one costume designer saying she didn’t think we’d see that in history again, where an item became so central that every American woman was wearing the exact same thing. They really took over women’s wardrobes, just in varying colors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300September 1, 2022 8:07 PM

There are zillions of examples of women wearing pants in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. Saint Laurent made them runway CHIC and it trickled down like cerulean blue.

One of my grandmother's points of honor was that she never once in her life wore a pair of pants, nor sat in the sun. That was for working women.

I'm loving the look of (some) men in skirts these days. It's off the runway and on the streets now too.

by Anonymousreply 301September 1, 2022 8:46 PM

I disagree R297. Betty had a great smile, cute dimples and beautiful blue eyes. She had an adorable, loveable, sweet face which is why she fooled so many people.

by Anonymousreply 302September 1, 2022 9:40 PM

Betty seems nice at times, but her attempts at being funny are lame. She was great when she was performing, but not during interviews.

by Anonymousreply 303September 1, 2022 9:50 PM

Betty aged so much over the course of the show. In the first season she gave Rue a run for her money in their dance recital leotards, but by season 6-7 you could see their 12 year age difference. Conversely, Bea got better looking over the course of TGG. Both Bea and Rue hit a wall QUICK after the series ended.

by Anonymousreply 304September 1, 2022 9:55 PM

Betty White and Joan Rivers are pretty funny and great here.

There was something a bit phony about Betty, whether she was being raunchy or sweet. I think it hid her competitive ambition and kept her a bit remote from people. She was positive and had a healthy ego, but was not a warm person, I don't think so.

I bet that is what bugged Bea Arthur. That Betty had so many people fooled, while Bea came off as the difficult bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 1, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote]r301 There are zillions of examples of women wearing pants in the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s.

We were talking about pants SUITS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306September 1, 2022 11:17 PM

R298? ENOUGH.

by Anonymousreply 307September 1, 2022 11:35 PM

We can’t dismiss or “pretty up” the past, r307

[italic]Shit happens.

by Anonymousreply 308September 2, 2022 12:54 AM

That's why 70s movies are so terrible. They look like shit. Fuck the American new wave. They look awful and are awful. Even the big old fashioned musicals like Mame and Funny Lady have to be the ugliest musicals ever made.

by Anonymousreply 309September 2, 2022 1:49 AM

Aside from a little weight gain I don’t really see that actually. Also unlike Rue and Betty who yo/yo’d Betty stayed pretty much the same weight (on the thin side of average) her whole career /life (also partially accounts for her better health) - gaining maybe a small amount each decade. I didn’t really see her start to look appreciably different until around the early 2000s, probably the age (80ish) where it stops being safe to get face lifts (and they ALL had them).

by Anonymousreply 310September 2, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote]r309 That's why 70s movies are so terrible. They look like shit.

Hi - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311September 2, 2022 6:12 AM

[quote] (also partially accounts for her better health)

Betty was the only non-smoking Golden Girl. Bea, Rue and Estelle all smoked.

by Anonymousreply 312September 2, 2022 6:21 AM

R309 70’s tv wasn’t all that great either.

by Anonymousreply 313September 2, 2022 6:26 AM

R311 Ha! Ok you found one! But only two of the four leads could act!

by Anonymousreply 314September 2, 2022 6:36 AM

I recently rewatched DAYS OF HEAVEN. Richard Gere is really not inherently an actor. He’s quite rudderless in it, though he looks delish.

by Anonymousreply 315September 2, 2022 6:40 AM

R297 Fuck off. Rue was one of the ugliest cunts to ever be born. Few bitches have been uglier than Rue. She bests them all.

by Anonymousreply 316September 2, 2022 8:26 AM

Who do people think are in heaven and who are in hell?

I like to think they are all in heaven having a really great time, even if I don't believe in that clap trap.

by Anonymousreply 317September 2, 2022 10:08 AM

R309, the 70s was known for having the best movies: The Godfather, Jaws, The Exorcist, Network, Greese, Apocalypse Now, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest etc.

by Anonymousreply 318September 2, 2022 11:00 AM

^ Chinatown, Cabaret, The Poseidon Adventure (definitely a cult favorite), French Connection, Halloween, Deer Hunter, Annie Hall, The Conversation, Taxi Driver, Last Picture Show, Dirty Harry, American Graffiti, Warriors, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Saturday Night Fever, Mad Max, Murder On the Orient Express, Carnal Knowledge, Love Story, and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 319September 2, 2022 11:50 AM

[R310] There's a talk Betty gave in 1989 on YouTube, someone in the audience asks how she stays in shape, she said if she sees her weight creeping up she diets for a week or two and never lets it get far out of control. Her bod was tight in the beginning of the series, but by the end those tightly belted sack dresses seemed to be doing most of the work. Her voice was ragged in season 7, too, much more noticeable in some episodes than others.

by Anonymousreply 320September 2, 2022 1:33 PM

The writing on the Roseanne reboot (one season) was pretty good, I thought. I think several of the writers during that season quit after Roseanne’s tweets…wasn’t Wanda Sykes one of them? They should have gotten them back after she was fired.

by Anonymousreply 321September 2, 2022 1:47 PM

^ sorry wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 322September 2, 2022 1:48 PM

[quote]Betty was the only non-smoking Golden Girl. Bea, Rue and Estelle all smoked.

I didn’t know that. That’s fascinating to me.

by Anonymousreply 323September 2, 2022 3:51 PM

[quote]I'm loving the look of (some) men in skirts these days. It's off the runway and on the streets now too.

Say what? Is this a typo? Why haven’t I seen this?

by Anonymousreply 324September 2, 2022 3:52 PM

Kate Spade

by Anonymousreply 325September 2, 2022 5:26 PM

Glad to know Betty didn't have any children. She was immature herself.

by Anonymousreply 326September 2, 2022 5:31 PM

Betty didn't like kids, her stepchildren hated her.

by Anonymousreply 327September 2, 2022 5:34 PM

[quote] Betty stayed pretty much the same weight (on the thin side of average)

What? Thin side of average? She wasn't obese, but not thinner than average. I think she had a thick mid-section (as a lot of us do) and a large-ish bust. She wore belted dresses all the time to play up the differential betw. her bust and waist.

by Anonymousreply 328September 2, 2022 5:37 PM

Betty had numerous fur babies and that was very meaningful to her . Human kids are a 24 hour situation. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 329September 3, 2022 12:23 AM

Betty would have been wonderful in “Days of Heaven.” As a predatory locust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 3, 2022 12:58 AM

How come Betty was nominated for an Emmy every year when Rie and Bea were not? She had her best momrnts in the first few seasons and did no exceptional work later in the run, as oppose to Rue who was amazing in later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 331September 3, 2022 7:27 AM

How come she got to stay friends with both Joan R and Johnny Carson and appear on both their shows - didn’t everyone else have to pick a side?

by Anonymousreply 332September 3, 2022 8:41 AM

Bea would just give Betty the death stare.

by Anonymousreply 333September 3, 2022 8:56 AM

[quote] "Meanwhile, Bea was the only one out of the four who had her own hit TV series."

Not true, R50. Long before "Maude", White had "The Betty White Show", and "Life With Elizabeth". They were smaller in scope, & and shorter runs, but both did well. White received her first Primetime Emmy nomination during "Life With Elizabeth", in 1951.

by Anonymousreply 334September 3, 2022 9:53 AM

Someone named curobero left this comment under a Bea & Betty youtube video: "They did indeed like each other, trust me, I know. Bea was just moody. Sometime during 1991, the ladies were on an interview backstage and Bea was telling a story while holding Betty's hand and making her laugh. I have witnessed it personally. Its true that Bea was irritated at Betty but again, the stories of them hating each other are far fetched." Someone asked him how he saw that interview backstage in 1991 and he replied "I was there because my partner at the time was a studio executive." This was the video he was commenting under.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335September 3, 2022 11:35 AM

R288 it was an episode of "Dinah!" from 1975

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336September 3, 2022 12:52 PM

I preferred her talk show when it was live action and called Dyna-Girl

by Anonymousreply 337September 3, 2022 1:50 PM

Thanks R336

by Anonymousreply 338September 3, 2022 2:12 PM

[quote]r335 Someone named curobero left this comment under a Bea & Betty youtube video: "They did indeed like each other, trust me, I know. Bea was just moody.”

You don’t take a crap on the dressing room floor of someone you “like.”

Unless it was a lovers dispute.

(But is that love?)

by Anonymousreply 339September 3, 2022 6:10 PM

How does anybody know Bea took a dump in her dressing room? Did Bea admit to that, did Betty tell people that or is it just another BS urban legend?

by Anonymousreply 340September 3, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote]Did Bea admit to that, did Betty tell people that or is it just another BS urban legend?

No, it was a steamer!

by Anonymousreply 341September 3, 2022 6:29 PM

I saw an episode of Life with Elizabeth earlier today on Retro TV. It wasn't a traditional through plot series. Each show consisted of 2 to 4 sketches of married life with Betty and her TV husband. I'd forgotten she was a brunette back then.

by Anonymousreply 342September 4, 2022 1:59 AM

R340, see r294.

by Anonymousreply 343September 4, 2022 2:13 AM

R340 It's completely made up

by Anonymousreply 344September 4, 2022 2:18 AM

I can almost believe r294's version where she dumps in Betty's toilet but leaves without flushing. It's deliciously passive-aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 345September 4, 2022 2:23 AM

Only a scat aficionada would keep reposting that ridiculous story. It's not even a rumor. Just a total lie.

Boring OLD scat TROLL.

Shoo.

by Anonymousreply 346September 4, 2022 2:23 AM

Great, now we have a scat troll and a scat-conspiracy troll.

by Anonymousreply 347September 4, 2022 2:38 AM

I agree r346 but there must be a bunch of IMDb refugees then - because that’s where I first read it.

by Anonymousreply 348September 4, 2022 2:41 AM

r346 is the troll who pretends to be a young-ish black man and calls posters "ancient white fags." He was recently outed in the Shania Twain thread as being a VERY middle-aged white man who lives in Canada. Total fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 349September 4, 2022 3:02 AM

HUH? You fucking piece of lying ANCIENT RACIST OLD F@G! You're insane R349. Posting from multiple devices day and night, Upvoting and complimenting your own posts from other accounts. And attacking all men of COLOR who grace you pathetic life with a response.

I do not live in Canada, you fucking loser. But I did go to the Royal Conservatory there. I hate Shania Twain. I'm a musician and singer and she's a talentless whore from northern Ontario. You are the freak who chases after John Mulaney and Tori Amos and supermodels of the 80s and Donna Summers and Shania Twain. You're at least 75 years old and reside in your diaper.

May Jesus visit healing to your diseased mind and ancient holes, tonight, R349. We pray you will be delivered in your sleep.🙏🏾🙏🏾

by Anonymousreply 350September 4, 2022 3:10 AM

John Mulaney DIVORCES Anna: “I am heartbroken John has decided to end our marriage,” sez jilted wife r164 Mulaney himself has called her a ball-busting Jewish Princess in his act.

R349 really does have HUNDREDS of posts on John Mulvaney and Liza Minelli and it hates Beyonce and loves SCAT!!! Total racist. Typical OLD DL Drunk.

Get rid of this racist PIG, DL.

F&F.

by Anonymousreply 351September 4, 2022 3:27 AM

Yep, you really are a mental case you crazy old white Canuck! Remember, you forgot to switch accounts in the Shania Twain thread when you posted that you worked on the Toronto production of Sunset Boulevard starring Diahann Carroll in 1995. You were clearly not born in 1983, as you've always claimed. Another poster found the Playbill and several posters narrowed down the list of suspects. Your ass was exposed.

by Anonymousreply 352September 4, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]I do not live in Canada, you fucking loser.

Well you sure did in 1995, asshole! This was your post, it's #139 in the linked thread:

[quote]Cher was signed to do Sunset BLVD in Toronto many years ago. She would have been fantastic in it. For exactly the same reasons. She got very cold feet. I was in that show with Diahann Carroll and Cher would have been a miracle.

You were BUSTED, bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353September 4, 2022 3:32 AM

[quote]Do These Two Fuck?

I don't have any. My home is my sanctuary. Except for the occasional grindr visitor, but he doesn't sit. I wait for him on my knees, hands behind my back with a leather belt nearby, in case he wants to have more fun. The floor is covered in towels , you never know where the squirts are gonna land. When they finished, I show them the way out. Easy peasy, and no need to clean behind them . (still remembering the time I needed to go to the bathroom, and that middle eastern guy suited himself on my antique rocking chair. Couldn't believe the sight of his naked ass on my mutton skin throw. never again.)

by Anonymousreply 354September 4, 2022 3:33 AM

^^you were busted, bitch. I guess you'll remember to switch accounts now, you old white Canuck fuck!

by Anonymousreply 355September 4, 2022 3:38 AM

^^Muriel needs to exterminate this cockroach.

by Anonymousreply 356September 4, 2022 3:40 AM

^^Honey, Muriel couldn't give a rat's ass about your lying crazy self. Why the fuck does a VERY middle-aged white Canuck want to pretend to be an urban American black man anyway? You don't even know the American black vernacular.

by Anonymousreply 357September 4, 2022 3:42 AM

I am always mystified at the cult of personality around celebrities. These people aren't gods FFS. They're performers. And with many of them, their success is more a matter of luck, marketing and being in the right place at the right time rather than organic talent and really having something to say or contribute to the world.

The internet has caused crazy fandom to explode. These mere mortals are put on pedestals and are untouchable by their unbalanced fans. It's so sad and empty.

R367 must stop stocking the younger posters of color. We find him despicable and mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 358September 4, 2022 3:45 AM

R357 is also Datalounge's SCAT TROLL. Which is why he's so bothered to begin with. Fucking inhuman filthy OLD racist piece of diseased F@G.

by Anonymousreply 359September 4, 2022 3:48 AM

r358/r359actually you are the mentally ill one. So why do you pretend to be an urban American black man who's 38 years old when you are actually an "old white fag" yourself? You must have toxic self-loathing issues.

BTW, was Diahann Carroll any good in Sunset Boulevard back in 1995?

by Anonymousreply 360September 4, 2022 3:49 AM

^ SCAT TROLL ^

by Anonymousreply 361September 4, 2022 3:52 AM

r361 why don't you answer the questions posed to you? What pleasure do you get out of pretending to be someone else? Of harassing gay men when you are a gay man yourself?

by Anonymousreply 362September 4, 2022 3:56 AM

^ SCAT TROLL ^

by Anonymousreply 363September 4, 2022 3:58 AM

Happy Birthday Beyonce!!

by Anonymousreply 364September 4, 2022 4:35 AM

🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

by Anonymousreply 365September 4, 2022 4:37 AM

Eat the cake, Anna Mae. <3

by Anonymousreply 366September 4, 2022 4:39 AM

Any record of Bea's reaction when Betty kept getting Emmy nominations when she and Rue were left in the cold for season 5,6,7?

by Anonymousreply 367September 4, 2022 10:24 AM

R342 She was always a brunette, moron. A bad dye job does not make a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 368September 4, 2022 12:19 PM

Anyone know where I can purchase old tv shows like Dinah!/Dinah and Friends? Bea and Betty were dancing together on that show and I would like to see the entire episode.

by Anonymousreply 369September 4, 2022 1:13 PM

I thought this episode should have won an award.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370September 5, 2022 12:26 AM

She looked so much better as a brunette, honestly. The kind of blonde she did just aged her rapidly.

All this said, the A list who shat on everyone loved her. I have no idea what she was like when she was not “on” (if she lived alone for 40 years, probably much more an introvert than we thought ) , but she knew to treat others with respect. Richard Kline has a lovely story about her.

by Anonymousreply 371September 5, 2022 12:38 AM

You want a decade a million light years ahead of the 70s try the 30s. From the astonishing pre code era to the great year of 1939. Simply beyond belief in its excitement and brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 372September 5, 2022 1:13 AM

So who was the female GG guest star the Bea hit on?

Does anyone know any details on that situation?

by Anonymousreply 373September 5, 2022 4:49 AM

At least I only shit in a girl’s wig. True, it was steaming and corn-filled, but it was contained. I also didn’t have the squirts like some older women get when they take a dump in a rival’s dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 374September 5, 2022 5:00 AM

I can only imagine what happened backstage with Bea and Helen Lawson when Helen guest starred on the Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 375September 5, 2022 5:14 AM

[quote] So who was the female GG guest star the Bea hit on? Does anyone know any details on that situation?

Maybe it was Big Mommy and that's why her role got reduced to an under-five after rejecting Bea.

by Anonymousreply 376September 5, 2022 12:09 PM

R373, her name is Hilary Shepard and she played Yvonne, the aerobics instructor in an episode of Season 4 of GG. Here's the video in which she talks about being on GG and Bea checking her out. It starts at 1:10.

by Anonymousreply 377September 5, 2022 12:10 PM

[r377] where’s the video?

by Anonymousreply 378September 5, 2022 1:37 PM

Sorry R378

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379September 5, 2022 2:15 PM

Bea shit on Betty's dressing room floor!

by Anonymousreply 380September 5, 2022 3:00 PM

^ same lines, again and again and again.

by Anonymousreply 381September 7, 2022 7:51 AM

Wow, R379, Bea was staring at her body in the spandex and making her feel she was being hit on - I've never heard it confirmed before.

And Betty was really sweet to her.

by Anonymousreply 382September 7, 2022 9:20 AM

Maybe Bea was staring because she was appalled by her body and/or her bad acting.

by Anonymousreply 383September 7, 2022 9:50 AM

Is the Yvonne troll aware of this? 🤯

by Anonymousreply 384September 7, 2022 9:51 AM

Can just any never-was bit-player in Hollywood draw a Q&A crowd? Who the hell went to see her speak (and presumably paid)? I mean, she seems like a nice enough lady but holy shit, really?

by Anonymousreply 385September 7, 2022 12:18 PM

This is what Bea was staring at! Woohoo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386September 7, 2022 5:47 PM

Bea was a boob admirer.

by Anonymousreply 387September 7, 2022 5:50 PM

^ Bea did more than admire them

by Anonymousreply 388September 10, 2022 2:04 PM

What else did she do with them R388?

by Anonymousreply 389September 10, 2022 4:37 PM

What’s amazing about her story is she doesn’t even know what Bea Arthur’s name is and just called her the “the tall one”

by Anonymousreply 390September 11, 2022 2:57 AM

R358 I hear you. While I was thrilled to have had lunch with Beateice Arthur, doing so made me realize she was simply not her characters. And, she was really no more or less interesting than any of my friends.

by Anonymousreply 391September 11, 2022 3:11 AM

Bea on the Dick Cavett Show in 1989. She thought Amanda's By The Sea would revolutionize television lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392September 17, 2022 2:39 PM

Here's part 2. I wish someone had put the entire interview on youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393September 17, 2022 2:40 PM

That had to be the Yvonne troll asking the question at R379. He seemed starstruck.

by Anonymousreply 394September 18, 2022 1:08 AM

How does she not fucking know Bea Arthur’s name???

Anyway I call bullshit. She may have had a penis but I really don’t think she was a lez.

by Anonymousreply 395September 18, 2022 1:25 AM

R395, during a Larry King interview several years ago, Angela Lansbury struggled to remember Bea Arthur's name and they were best friends. It happens. Hilary Shepard was on one episode of GG in 1989 and she momentarily forgot Bea's name but remembered Betty. Why is it so hard for you to accept that Bea might have liked women too? You just want her for yourself? Well guess what, gay icon Judy Garland loved having sex with women. We don't know for sure if Bea had sex with women but we know she liked staring at women's boobs and butts.

by Anonymousreply 396September 18, 2022 11:18 AM

Typical case of Geriatric Lesbian Drama between Bea and Betty. I bet they fought each other with canes too.

by Anonymousreply 397September 18, 2022 12:55 PM

Why was Bea so obsessed with her height? She was 5'9 1/2 which is tall but there are plenty of tall women. Nicole Kidman is 5'11. Melania Trump is 5'11. Princess Diana was 5'10. Janes Lynch is 6 feet tall. Sigourney Weaver is 5'11. Julia Child was 6'2. Female supermodels have to be between 5'9 and 5'11 if I'm not mistaken. Was Bea ashamed of her height because there weren't many tall women in old Hollywood? Was she self conscious about her height because she had to play next to Estelle Getty who was 4'10 1/2? I'm just surprised at how many times she mentioned how tall she was during interviews as if she was completely abnormal.

by Anonymousreply 398September 22, 2022 6:03 PM

r398 television prefers shorties because when they employ 20+ playing teens, shorter means young... so, the adults tend to be not much taller than 5'7, being taller can shut you out of a lot of series/sitcoms that feature families/kids.

And likewise, many male actors tend to be shorter or even around the same height, which throws off romantic roles, too. . . which is part of why she was typecasted as she was.

And she did have unusual features, she could be attractive but she was a Nancy Kulp.. who had much of the same insecurities, btw.

by Anonymousreply 399September 22, 2022 6:23 PM

post-GG/GP

Bea played off better than the other "Girls" ... which were pretty sad and tragic guestspots until that aligator film that Betty was in because people were in shock that their poor sweet innocent Rose told someone to if I had a dick, this is where I would tell you to suck it. And she became America's sweetheart once again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400September 22, 2022 6:30 PM

5’9 1/2”yes, R398. But the hump was at least 6’.

by Anonymousreply 401September 22, 2022 6:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402September 22, 2022 6:34 PM

Bea was Emmy nominated for her Guest spot on Malcolm. She didn't have many scenes but she was terrific.

Betty guest-starred as Ally McBeal's therapist who's obsessed with suppository anti-depressant. When Ally tells her she flushed the pills Betty is horrified and screams she was "meant to stick them up your ass... you pissy little thing!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403September 22, 2022 6:39 PM

R398 - It wasn't just about her height. It was how the height played into her masculine appearance and her deep voice. It was part of the package, a running joke way back from when she was Maude and callers on the phone thought she was Mr. Findlay.

Kidman, Weaver, and many other taller-than-average actresses do not come off as drag queens.

by Anonymousreply 404September 23, 2022 11:48 AM

[quote]she was typecasted as she was.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 405September 23, 2022 2:23 PM

The "Oh, dear!" cunt doesn't think autocorrect is ever to blame. Tired of that bitch with no friends.

by Anonymousreply 406September 23, 2022 2:54 PM

It's a shame neither Bea nor Rue got to headline a Broadway show after the series ended, they both seemed to love the stage.

by Anonymousreply 407September 24, 2022 7:49 PM

Didn’t Bea have her one man I mean woman show?

by Anonymousreply 408September 24, 2022 7:59 PM

Yes but I mean a play or musical where they could perform

by Anonymousreply 409September 24, 2022 8:02 PM

McClanahan was in both The Women (2001) and Wicked (2005) on Bway.

by Anonymousreply 410September 25, 2022 5:58 AM

R409 - "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane: The Musical" would've been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 411September 26, 2022 12:19 AM

I saw Bea’s one man show. She was a miserable old bitch. Think Freida Claxton.

by Anonymousreply 412September 27, 2022 11:36 AM

The Day Betty White And Beatrice Arthur LICKED EACH OTHERS PUSSIES.

by Anonymousreply 413September 27, 2022 12:38 PM

I always felt like they should have brought Jean the lesbian back for a second episode like they did with Clay, Blanche's gay brother. Blanche's jealoust about Jean prefering Rose over her should have been further exploited. Blanche could have tried to seduce Jean by wearing skimpy outfits around the house. It could have been very funny.

by Anonymousreply 414September 27, 2022 2:50 PM

Correction: jealousy, not jealoust

by Anonymousreply 415September 27, 2022 2:51 PM

[Quote]Bea was a boob admirer.

[Quote]^ Bea did more than admire them

[Quote]What else did she do with them [R388]?

Bea didn't shit on Betty's dressing room floor, she took a dump on Betty’s boobs.

by Anonymousreply 416September 27, 2022 3:59 PM

[quote] I always felt like they should have brought Jean the lesbian back for a second episode like they did with Clay, Blanche's gay brother. Blanche's jealoust about Jean prefering Rose over her should have been further exploited. Blanche could have tried to seduce Jean by wearing skimpy outfits around the house. It could have been very funny.

They already had an episode like that.

by Anonymousreply 417September 28, 2022 10:10 AM

Bea was insecure about her perceived lack of femininity. It's ridiculous and sad that she grew up and lived in a society that made her feel that way. She would get angry if there were too many cracks about it in the GG scripts. She once stormed off the set of a roast because Jeff Ross started his set with "So, I was just in the men's room takin' a leak next to Bea Arthur..."

On Maude, they did it more sparingly, and it was often funnier. On the episode where Maude discovers she's starting menopause, she said "Walter, this is terrible, I'll lose my femininity! My voice will change!" A beat goes by, and with her timing, Maude goes "God'll get ya for what you're thinking, Walter."

But yeah, hence her denying ever having served in the Marines. If she had lesbian feelings, I'd be very surprised if she ever acted on them.

by Anonymousreply 418September 28, 2022 1:23 PM

Have you seen Bea's son, Matthew Saks. Holy shit, he's hotter than I ever would have guessed. The other son, Daniel, is what I would have expected. Was Matthew adopted?

In the pic below, Daniel is on the left and Matthew (blond) is on the right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419September 28, 2022 1:35 PM

R419, both Matthew and Daniel are adopted.

by Anonymousreply 420September 28, 2022 2:21 PM

I call bullshit on 5.9 1/2, Bea looked a good six footer I would say, that’s why she was mostly barefoot in the house. Though god knows why she would inflict those big ugly man feet onto the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 421September 28, 2022 3:01 PM

[quote]In the pic below, Daniel is on the left and Matthew (blond) is on the right.

You’re describing someone as hot and felt the need to tell us who was who in THAT picture?! Oh, honey.

by Anonymousreply 422September 28, 2022 4:16 PM

I believe it. Betty and Rue were probably 5’3” on a good day, and let’s not even talk about Estelle. Most women in showbusiness in that era were very, very short. Debbie Reynolds (who guested on the show ) was 5 feet.

Bea was also tall and broad which photographs very differently from tall/willowy model type, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 423September 28, 2022 4:28 PM

I don't know why Bea got a breast reduction. She had a nice rack on Maude.

by Anonymousreply 424September 28, 2022 7:28 PM

R420 Bea was a biological male so of course they were adopted. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 425September 28, 2022 10:24 PM

R422 - I don't assume others will agree with my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 426September 28, 2022 10:53 PM

Wasn’t it proven that Bea was a man?

by Anonymousreply 427September 29, 2022 7:49 AM

Proven how R427? Because she had a deep voice? Funny how Esther Rolle also had a deep voice but nobody ever called her a man. Is it because it's more common for black women to have deep voices?

by Anonymousreply 428September 29, 2022 12:07 PM

Why were there lesbian rumours about Bea during Maude? Who started those rumours? The tabloids?

by Anonymousreply 429September 29, 2022 3:10 PM

R419, he's one of the cops in Hurricane '91 episode.

by Anonymousreply 430September 30, 2022 12:32 AM

Nanette Fabray said Bea was not an easy friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431October 1, 2022 8:30 PM

[quote] both Matthew and Daniel are adopted.

Bea would have produced a handsome biological son.

by Anonymousreply 432October 1, 2022 10:22 PM

I love when things get linked like R431's video -- thanks, very interesting!

by Anonymousreply 433October 1, 2022 10:58 PM

Elaine Stritch was friendly with Nanette Fabray…so make of that whatever you will.

by Anonymousreply 434October 2, 2022 3:39 PM

Nanette: "When you love somebody, you put up with their problems." I wonder which problems she was refering to? Bea alcoholism? Her chicken and gum chewing phobias? I wonder...

by Anonymousreply 435October 2, 2022 6:04 PM

Usually people who speak of their 'friends' being 'difficult' are no day at the beach to be around themselves.

by Anonymousreply 436October 2, 2022 8:27 PM

Yeah because nobody except Nanette ever said Bea was a difficult person R436. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 437October 3, 2022 2:34 PM

If the GGs were around today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438October 3, 2022 2:53 PM

[quote]he's one of the cops in Hurricane '91 episode.

He’s the hawt one.

by Anonymousreply 439October 3, 2022 4:03 PM

438 What a horrible fucking pic. Looks nothing like them. Jesus fuck.

by Anonymousreply 440October 4, 2022 12:12 AM

R440- That's from a failed reboot pilot called The Pewter Cunts

by Anonymousreply 441October 4, 2022 1:02 AM

What's up with Nanette Fabray's nose? Did it always look that way or did she lose her original nose in an accident?

by Anonymousreply 442October 4, 2022 3:30 PM

R442 she got a bad nose job early on.

by Anonymousreply 443October 4, 2022 5:59 PM

R442 - WAY too much coke in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 444October 4, 2022 10:38 PM

She snorted coke on top of Bea's toxic pussy. Her nose melted off.

by Anonymousreply 445October 4, 2022 11:04 PM

Am I the only one who thinks there should have been an 8th season of GG? Estelle, Betty and Rue wanted to continue and an 8th season would have been better than Golden Palace. Empty Nest went on for 3 more years without Kristy McNichol who was a very important part of the show. The could have given the three remaining women more adventures, less waiting around for men to go on dates with and Bea could have made one or two appearances with or without Leslie Nielsen. I think it would have worked. Bea was an important part of GG but the world didn't revolve around her as she seemed to think.

by Anonymousreply 446October 6, 2022 1:04 PM

R446 Not true at all, moron. Bea was always the star of the show. Without him they had nothing.

by Anonymousreply 447October 6, 2022 2:11 PM

How does one develop a chicken phobia? Was she attacked by one when she was a child? Chickens don't tend to be aggressive -- I've never heard of anyone being scared of chickens.

by Anonymousreply 448October 6, 2022 5:01 PM

Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory was afraid of birds because he was chased up a tree by a blood-thirsty chicken when he was a child. Maybe the same thing happened to Bea.

by Anonymousreply 449October 6, 2022 8:46 PM

What would cause a chicken to be blood-thirsty? He must have provoked it and it was defending itself (or its chicks).

by Anonymousreply 450October 6, 2022 9:39 PM

The Big Bang Theory was a sitcom. It was supposed to be funny. Don't take what Sheldon said (a fictional character) too seriously R450.

by Anonymousreply 451October 7, 2022 12:07 PM

It's R449 who's taking the notion of a blood-thirsty chicken seriously, and suggesting that maybe Bea Arthur did too. I find the notion of a chicken phobia not only funny but improbable. Arthur must have been seriously neurotic, whether she actually was phobic about chickens or just pretended to be (for sympathy? or attention? or laughs?).

by Anonymousreply 452October 7, 2022 12:34 PM

R452, I have a neighbor who is terrified of my indoor cat. She was even scared of him when he was a kitten and he's the sweetest little fluffball ever who wouldn't hurt a fly. She won't come into my house unless I tell her my cat is in the basement with the door closed. I guess she was attacked by a cat when she was a child. I don't know the reason behind her illogical phobia but then again most phobias are illogical.

by Anonymousreply 453October 7, 2022 1:42 PM

"Well that's a fucking 'Betty White' thing to say!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454October 7, 2022 6:29 PM

R453 Yes twat because being phobic of catching the aids or killer diseases is so illogical. Twat, sit your cunt down and STFU.

by Anonymousreply 455October 8, 2022 1:46 AM

R455, Can you read, idiot? I said MOST phobias are illogical, because they are. Off your Prozac again grandpa?

by Anonymousreply 456October 8, 2022 11:44 AM

I already had R455 blocked.

by Anonymousreply 457October 8, 2022 3:13 PM

R446 I think TPTB didn't want to give an actress who left the show any more $. Didn't they have to give her part ownership/ profit percentage to get her to renew her contract?

The Golden Palace was a different title/show so she couldn't claim that she was owed anything despite not appearing in it.

I wonder if the other 3 actresses had it put in their TGP contracts to get Bea's ownership part It might've been another reason it wasn't renewed.

by Anonymousreply 458October 9, 2022 5:12 AM

R4 "I never bought that Betty simply didn't understand why Bea didn't care for her. "

Same here. She conveniently left out the fact that she humiliated her in front of an audience who could see she was struggling with her lines.

by Anonymousreply 459October 9, 2022 5:38 AM

R145, so Bea spoke at her own memorial service?

by Anonymousreply 460October 9, 2022 5:51 AM

Just the one Dear?

by Anonymousreply 461October 9, 2022 6:03 AM

My mother who was about her age went to her one woman show and thought it was odd she was barefoot on stage for the performance. She said it was boring and there were enough walkouts Bea watched as people left.

by Anonymousreply 462October 9, 2022 11:05 AM

I received the complete set of The Merv Griffin Show yesterday and watched the entire Golden Girls interview from November 1985. There's a shorter version of it on youtube but the original interview is twice as long. Bea and Betty seemed to like each other a lot. Bea at some point grabs Betty's face in a loving way and Betty blows her a kiss. BUT, I do understand why Betty over the years got on Bea's nerves. At one point during the interview she says to Bea "don't turn your back to Rue" who's about to come out as the next guest. She says this twice but Bea just ignores her. Then Betty says "I taught her (Bea) how to act in interviews but she doesn't listen". Now that might have been a joke but she says it like she's Bea school teacher. I think Bea thought Betty's behavior was cute in the beginning but after a few years it probably started to irritate the hell out of her.

by Anonymousreply 463October 21, 2022 5:50 PM

R463 - The COMPLETE set? That thing ran daily from 1962 to 1986! Is it 500 discs?

by Anonymousreply 464October 21, 2022 9:42 PM

R463 or maybe after 30 or so years in the business Bea should have learned how to take a joke. I’m sure she had to (as anyone did) deal with much worse things over the years which should have given her a thicker skin .

And lol r464 you’re right

by Anonymousreply 465October 21, 2022 9:52 PM

Artists, and especially actors, have the greatest insecurities and the thinnest skin. What you or I would blow off, would probably cause someone even as successful as Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts days of anxiety and consternation.

by Anonymousreply 466October 21, 2022 9:55 PM

There are three Larry Randolph videos (one is linked above) where he talks in detail about socialising with Bea Arthur. She could turn on a dime and she could never bring herself to apologize. The thing is... she was good as gold for Angela Lansbury, so... she could hold it together if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 467October 21, 2022 10:01 PM

Bea was a grouch and Betty was annoying. End of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 468October 22, 2022 8:07 AM

Yes R464 it includes 500 discs and exclusive backstage footage of Merv blowing his young male staffers.

by Anonymousreply 469October 22, 2022 2:25 PM

Joan Rivers who ran like a truck driver over everyone expecting them all to know how to take a joke seems to have had the thinnest skin of all. Even Sinatra could take Rickles pretty scathing take no prisoners remarks.

by Anonymousreply 470October 22, 2022 8:53 PM

George Clooney was on The Drew Barrymore Show and said Bea Arthur was the funniest Golden Girl and had a filthy mouth and Betty was a Godsend. George was on 1 episode Of GG in the early years. Also, Drew is fucking annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471November 2, 2022 5:10 PM

Christ, someone should teach Larry Randolph how to make an anecdote amusing or at least interesting.

by Anonymousreply 472November 3, 2022 5:19 PM

I wonder why we've never seen bloopers from the later seasons of GG? Maybe it's because we would see that Bea and Betty didn't get along during the last seasons.

by Anonymousreply 473December 10, 2022 7:45 PM

Drew looks like Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 474December 10, 2022 8:26 PM

[quote] Am I the only one who thinks there should have been an 8th season of GG?

I agree. They should have just replaced Bea with Fess Parker in drag.

by Anonymousreply 475December 10, 2022 10:52 PM

Bea never looked like Fess Parker.

by Anonymousreply 476December 11, 2022 12:27 PM

She did in anything backless.

by Anonymousreply 477December 11, 2022 6:33 PM

Dorothy looked like Fess Parker in Rose’s home made video.

by Anonymousreply 478December 12, 2022 12:27 AM

LEAVE BEA ALONE!!!

by Anonymousreply 479December 12, 2022 2:20 PM

Actually, Bea looked like the mother of a solid gold dancer

by Anonymousreply 480December 14, 2022 6:18 AM

[quote]Arthur must have been seriously neurotic

Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 481December 14, 2022 9:01 AM

R474, Clooney looks like Fred.

by Anonymousreply 482December 19, 2022 7:17 AM

Betty was the crazy one. She lived her entire life like she was on-stage performing for the public. Not healthy.

by Anonymousreply 483December 19, 2022 7:26 AM

Betty lived to a healthy 99 and 348/365 ths. Bea shit on Betty’s dressing room floor because Bea knew Betty would outlive her and have the last laugh.

by Anonymousreply 484December 19, 2022 12:28 PM

Yes, Bea knew Betty would outlive her. WTF

by Anonymousreply 485December 20, 2022 5:33 AM

Bea Arthur was a fine TV comic but that she considered herself a great classically trained artiste because she was in a few Broadway shows is sad and delusional.

by Anonymousreply 486December 20, 2022 8:30 AM

R486 Actually, dear, she was classically trained. From 1947, Beatrice Arthur studied at the Dramatic Workshop of The New School in New York City with German director Erwin Piscator. Don't be a hater.

by Anonymousreply 487December 20, 2022 8:35 AM

I love when I find bloopers they left in the show because they think nobody will notice. In Season 2: Ladies of the evening, Sophia prank calls Rose at the hotel and Rose says "I think this is Sophia" and Bea almost starts laughing. You can tell she's holding it in and almost loses it. In Season 5: Clinton Avenue Memoirs, Dorothy takes Sophia to her old neighborhood and before entering her old apartment, Sophia says " Isn't it good to be back in the old neighborhood Dorothy, watching the kids plays stick ball on the corner"? Dorothy replies " Ma, they were beating a man". Bea and Estelle stare at each other while the audience laughs and you can tell Bea started laughing and it was a blooper they cut out but not completely. The most obvious blooper is this one. Betty almost loses it at 0:15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488December 20, 2022 3:06 PM

You are a fucking moron. Golden Girls never would have let a stupid thing like that get through editing. Back in the 70s and 80s, most girls on shows like this were pros. Breaking or fucking up the take is not something they did. Betty White was not breaking at 00:15 you fucking dumb girl.

by Anonymousreply 489December 21, 2022 3:10 AM

R489 Calm down old bitty. Nobody is saying they're not pros. Betty did break at 0:15 and it's funny.

by Anonymousreply 490December 21, 2022 12:15 PM

Biddy, means a chicken. Just pointing that out for future use.

by Anonymousreply 491December 21, 2022 12:20 PM

R490 You're obv a fucking moron who thinks Jimmy Fallon is "funny" and that his "breaking" bullshit is just fucking awesome. You're a fucking goof and a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 492December 21, 2022 12:25 PM

R491, I didn't write biddy, I wrote bitty, which is what R489 is.

by Anonymousreply 493December 21, 2022 2:34 PM

Ok R492, you're an old, sad, lonely queen who worships the Golden Girls. I understand. Take care.

by Anonymousreply 494December 21, 2022 2:36 PM

R494 Fuck you, cunt. I am always attacking the DL cult of the GGs every chance I get.

by Anonymousreply 495December 21, 2022 4:10 PM

^ needs professional help

by Anonymousreply 496December 21, 2022 4:33 PM

R496 Bitches/girls need to get the fuck off the DL. You don't belong here.

by Anonymousreply 497December 21, 2022 4:35 PM

Calm down dude. You lost your fucking mind over a Golden Girls blooper video/post? Get some help man. lol

by Anonymousreply 498December 21, 2022 6:55 PM

Loons. ^^

by Anonymousreply 499December 21, 2022 8:04 PM

R497 Hi Elon!

by Anonymousreply 500December 22, 2022 5:29 AM

Who needs me to come shit on their floor?

by Anonymousreply 501December 22, 2022 12:01 PM

Bea Arthur had the biggest, blackest, baddest cock in Hollywood. He'd have split all the DL pussyboys in two. All in one night. He was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 502December 22, 2022 12:48 PM

Bea Arthur interview from 1995 in Detroit. She's asked about the tabloids saying she didn't get along with the other Golden Girls. Weird makeup she has on. Good interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503January 27, 2023 12:18 PM

The more I read about the Bea-Betty feud the more I believe it had to do with Estelle's memory problems. Their feud started in season 4 of GG. Before that, they were friends. Rue once said in an interview that Estelle's memory issues started in season 4. Betty apparently made fun of Estelle to entertain the audience and Bea couldn't stand that and called her a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 504January 28, 2023 2:14 PM

They probably fought over this interview with what BW had to say about her at 2:58 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505August 23, 2023 5:38 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 506August 24, 2023 11:03 PM

R505, In 1986, Bea and Betty were still friends. Betty liked to tease Bea back then.

by Anonymousreply 507August 25, 2023 10:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!