Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spoilt by miscasting, and rescued by YOU

Let's be casting director who can travel back in time and rescue a classic flick . It could be a smash hit or a bomb, doesn't matter. I'll start . After day 1 , I fire Warren Beatty'ass from THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS STONE and replace him with John Gavin. Oh, and at the end of day 2, Lotte Lenya is given the boot as well, and Dietrich is brought in. Oh! on day 3, Quintero is flown back home and Vsconti takes over (and Gavin is dubbed by Massimo Girotti)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2023 1:12 AM

Speaking of Visconti, I always through Death in Venice had the wrong choice for Tadzio, although I confess I have no idea who I'd substitute.

The actor in the film always seemed too knowing, somehow.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2022 12:51 PM

Jessica is fired from Sweet Dreams and replaced by Beverly D'Angelo

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2022 12:53 PM

[quote] Death in Venice had the wrong choice for Tadzio

Tadzio was fug= the movie makes no sense. The pass aroung bottom of choice was Leonard Whiting in those days

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2022 1:02 PM

Karen Gorney is not only fired but tarred, feathered, and paraded down the street with a shaved head for her clumsy hoofing and dreadful "performance" in "Saturday Night Fever." Replaced by almost anybody....Cynthia Rhodes would probably have been available. Or virtually anybody from "Grease." Even the school principal would have been an improvement. Sorry, Karen.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2022 12:27 AM

"The Bonfire of the Vanities"

William Hurt replaces Tom Hanks

Linda Fiorentino replaces Melanie Griffith

Tom Hulce replaces Bruce Willis

Kim Cattrall may keep her role

Eli Wallach replaces Morgan Freeman

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2022 12:32 AM

Pretty Woman. Remove Julia Roberts and replace her with Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2022 12:53 AM

R6 = Barbra Streisand

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2022 12:54 AM

DRESSED TO KILL

DROP: Angie Dickinson. ADD Divine.

DROP: Michael Caine. ADD: Milton Berle

DROP: Nancy Allen. ADD: Shirley Hemphill

DROP: Keith Gordon. ADD: Billy Barty

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2022 1:21 AM

This is too a easy question.

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2022 1:34 AM

GWTW Leslie Howard is sacked and replaced with Gary Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2022 1:44 AM

Interesting R10, I would've cast Errol Flynn. But Cooper would do just as well

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2022 11:20 AM

Sack Meryl Streep & Philip Seymour Hoffman from Doubt and replace them with Sissy Spacek & Greg Kinnear

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2022 11:23 AM

I'd have cast Tyrone Power as Ashley! Handsome, young, and sensitive, ge'd be swoonworthy, but he'd look weak and girly when placed next to Clark Gable.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2022 11:32 AM

She'd never reprise the role, of course, but Ryan Murphy's FEUD would've been much improved with Faye Dunaway as Joan. Lange ruined that series.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2022 11:35 AM

I can't see Tyrone as a blond, and he's far too foxy and fem for Ashley IMO, but boy, would I pay good $$$ to see Gable and him together at twelve oaks. ( "Rhett Butler is my guest, it's my duty to entertain him" - Cut to Scarlett opening the door to see Ty bent over the sofa, getting it rough from Rhett..." fiddle-dee-dee, you should've made your presence known ")

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2022 11:37 AM

Replace MTM with Ann-Margaret in Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2022 11:39 AM

R16 that part was mine

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2022 11:40 AM

[quote]Replace MTM with Ann-Margaret in Ordinary People.

Is that a joke?

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2022 11:41 AM

I don't know if anything would've made ONE DAY AT A TIME or ALICE better, but it's often be suggested on Datalounge that their respective lead actresses might've been more suited to each other's show.

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2022 11:51 AM

Are we just ignoring "spoilt"?

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2022 11:53 AM

Dirty Harry

Paul Lynde replaces Clint Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2022 12:34 PM

Replace Streisand in Funny Girl with Connie Francis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2022 1:32 PM

Replace Ashley with Randolph Scott?

Sorry I don't see Gary Cooper at all in that role.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2022 2:05 PM

I mean, the whole "post-war working as the manager of Scarlett's saw mill using beaten-down convicts as labor", Gary Cooper just wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2022 2:08 PM

OP, I think John Gavin would have been too old for the role in mrs stone. I would cast a hot Italian actor of the time instead or at least a hot European guy like Alain delon, Franco Interlenghi or Horst buchholz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2022 2:15 PM

I actually like Karen Lynn Gorney in SNF. I’ve, sadly, know many women just like her. Accent and all. I thought she nailed it. And she wasn’t supposed to be a great dancer. Travolta was the one who needed to shine in the disco not her.

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2022 2:41 PM

Why not a manly man ? I don't see Vivien risking everything for a twink . And anything but Delon. PLease

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2022 2:43 PM

I always thought that Ashley should have been played by young Vincent Price. Genteel yet swoonworthy.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2022 2:45 PM

Helen Mirren as Miranda Priestly and Rachel McAdams as Andy. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2022 2:47 PM

R20 Spoilt = British.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2022 2:55 PM

[quote]After day 1 , I fire Warren Beatty'ass from THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS STONE and replace him with John Gavin

Psycho:

Sir Alfred Hitchcock wanted either Stuart Whitman, Tom Tryon, Brian Keith, Cliff Robertson, or Rod Taylor for the role of Sam Loomis, but Universal Pictures insisted on John Gavin.

Alfred Hitchcock apparently disliked the performance of John Gavin, who played Sam, and referred to him as "the stiff".

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2022 2:58 PM

Gosford Park. Replace Stephen Fry with Hugh Laurie. Or Roger Allam.

by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2022 3:02 PM

Tom Tryon was gorgeous but pretty stiff himself.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2022 3:13 PM

Rita Moreno as Maria in WSS.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2022 3:22 PM

John gavin should have played the half Mexican that charlton Heston played in touch of evil.

by Anonymousreply 35August 25, 2022 4:24 PM

Orson Welles should have played Georgie in The Magnificent Ambersons.

My mom always said he should have played Big Daddy in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and I think she was right.

by Anonymousreply 36August 25, 2022 4:34 PM

R36 Wow, I think your mom was right too! Good call.

by Anonymousreply 37August 25, 2022 5:52 PM

Take out that bitch of a retaining wall in All About Eve, and replace her with an actress where she ought to be!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 25, 2022 11:13 PM

LOL R34 nailed it

by Anonymousreply 39August 25, 2022 11:55 PM

[quote] John Gavin, who played Sam, and referred to him as "the stiff".

I refer to him as the stiiff too, but for reasons not related to his acting

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2022 11:56 PM

"I can't see Tyrone [Power] as a blond, and he's far too foxy and fem for Ashley"

No, they couldn't make him a blonde, that would have been silly. With his signature eyebrows, the most they could have lightened his look without making him look silly, was to give him brown hair with some subtle sun-lights.

But other than his coloring, which was a small problem but not an insurmountable one, he really would have been good casting for Ashley, who really is supposed to be "foxy and fem". He's supposed to be beautiful, dreamy, unrealistic, and unable to cope with a world where he has to do things for himself and his family. The whole romantic triangle of GWTW is Scarlett trying to choose between two devastatingly attractive men, one of whom she can dominate, the other who will dominate her. And Tyrone Power always read as someone a strong woman could dominate.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2022 12:15 AM

R41 yes, I'm begining to see Ty in the part, but I still think he would be lacking in the dreamy quality that Howard did rather well, also there is NO way Ty Power would look good on screen with De Haviland, she would look like his mother. In fact, Ty Power would be a perfect Charles. Charles as described in the novel is my favourite character. I rewatched the private lives of Elizabeth and essex during the holidays, and I still think Flynn would have been a good Ashley. Mu ideal casting would be Leigh of course as Scarlett

Gable as Rhett

Joan Fontaine as melanie

Errol Flynn as Ashley

Tyrone as Charles

Hattie, butterfly and the rest of the cast are perfection

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2022 12:24 AM

Flynn was far too strong a personality, too much of a badass, to play Ashley Wilkes! Ashley is attractive and admirable in many ways, but with an underlying weakness that doesnt become evident until after the war. Flynn couldn't play weakness to save his life, not during the 1930s anyway, he had almost as much testosterone as Gable, he just read as being more sophisticated. And Gable was playing a sophisticated character in this movie, and doing it damn well, the two them wouldn't have worked.

Power always looked his most beautiful in moments of quiet repose. I mean he could play action scenes as well, so he'd be believable as the army officer who survived the war, but he could also play quiet, withdrawn, and gentle, which are attractive qualities under the right circumstances. So if Power had used his quiet-and-gentle mode when it wasn't appropriate for a man to be quiet and thoughtful, like in post-war Atlanta, he's have seemed to be the perfect Ashley... enough so that we'd forgive him for not being blonde.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2022 1:28 AM

I must be alone in this, but I think Ashley Howard was perfect for Wilkes - his weakness, his faux aristocratic nature (even the British accent works), his ineffectuality, his decency - and his air of somehow being faded and fatalistic right from the start. Wilkes is a relic and he knows it of himself - it's not just that he is prematurely aged, but that he is an antique. Rhett/Gable is the new man, a survivor, as Scarlett is.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2022 2:27 AM

Regina King replaces Viola Davis in that first ladies miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2022 4:18 AM

Hey Carol and Angela! Remember me?

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2022 4:27 AM

R44 with any other leading lady, yes, but with Vivien ? no fucking way. She needed someone way prettier/sexier

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2022 10:59 AM

Keanu Reeves in "Dracula" - Any British actor around 30 (James Purefoy, Clive Owen and Linus Roache are all the same age as Keanu.)

Winona Ryder in "Dracula" - Any British actress around 20

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2022 5:13 PM

R44. I’m preferred Leslie Wilkes as Ashley

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2022 7:54 PM

R49 I'd prefer Bill Bojangles Robinson as Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 50August 27, 2022 1:37 AM

I loved fake tan Warren Beatty with his awful Italian accent. He was so bad in that role, that it was great to watch. And he did look extra yummy!

"How old are you? Fifty?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 27, 2022 2:41 AM

R48 the role was screaming for Helena bonham Carter. Unfortunately according to legend Winona took the idea to Coppola, so her participation was never in question. Even Johnny depp would have been better than keanu in that part. Emily Lloyd auditioned for Lucy. I’m sure she would have made a good Mina too.

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2022 6:38 PM

As great as Liz Taylor was in Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? It would have been fascinating to see Vivien Leigh in the role, a real capping stone to her career:

Scarlett - Blanche - Martha

by Anonymousreply 53January 13, 2023 12:57 AM

I pictured Aaron Tveit as Oliver when I read CMBYN. He was just the right age when the book came out. I'd much rather have seen him in the movie than Armie.

by Anonymousreply 54January 13, 2023 1:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!