Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The best actress of our time?

Who is the best actress of our time? Honestly.

Looking for an actress who disappears into a role, is diverse about her selection, and gives damn good performances in everything she is in (regardless of the overall movie).

Some actresses, like Maggie Smith, I wanted to include, but sadly her days of great performances are over.

by Anonymousreply 112March 30, 2023 3:48 AM

Toss up between Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2022 7:07 PM

Meryl and Glenn are past their prime.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2022 7:10 PM

I know people here loathe her, but I’d put Nicole Kidman on the list, and probably even rank her just behind Cate and Kate.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2022 7:54 PM

Minka Kelly

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2022 8:36 PM

Oh it’s her, we all know it’s her whether we like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2022 8:37 PM

Viola "One Note" Davis, Jessica "Woke as Fuck" Chastain, and Frances "I Don't Give A Fuck" McDormand have no business being on the same list as G, M, and Cate.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2022 8:40 PM

not Meryl. overrated.

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2022 8:43 PM

Jessica Lange

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2022 8:45 PM

I can't believe Jessica Chastain won for that Donald Trump in drag movie.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2022 8:46 PM

Frances McDormand is the worst on the list. No range, plays herself in everything, her I don't care attitude is fake and annoying, and owes most of her career to her husband.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2022 8:50 PM

Zero? Poor Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2022 9:10 PM

Meryl is the same character

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2022 9:10 PM

Streep is the Al Pacino of American actresses. One or two standouts early on and then hackneyed shit.

Tilda Swinton can act rings around her, and is just possibly the most under-appreciated actress of the era.

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2022 9:23 PM

Most of these actresses are fine, but Kate is my girl.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2022 9:33 PM

Meryl is your winner.

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2022 9:36 PM

McDormand is the most talented and versatile among these performers. Penelope Cruz belongs nowhere near this list.

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2022 9:37 PM

Disappointed Scarlet Johansson isn't on the list

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2022 10:00 PM

Here's Part II bitches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2022 10:05 PM

Let me submit Juliette Binoche and Rebecca Hall.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2022 11:19 PM

Up to 4.5! Well done, Glennie!

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2022 12:56 AM

I'd suggest Julianne Moore.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2022 3:19 AM

Léa Seydoux. If "our time" is younger than the crypt keeping eldergays.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2022 3:32 AM

There's a difference, I guess, between best actress of our time and best living actress. Vanessa Redgrave and Maggie Smith are coming to the end of their careers, but they should be here, too. And Meryl might have a surprise or two up her sleeve in the next 10-15 years.

by Anonymousreply 23February 10, 2023 2:01 AM

Why isn't Linda Lavin and Polly Holiday on this list ?

by Anonymousreply 24February 10, 2023 2:23 AM

Marin Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2023 7:16 PM

R16 What is versatile about Frances? She can play every different type of common midwesterner??

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2023 7:24 PM

As overexposed as she is, Meryl has to win. She's played such a great range of roles and done so brilliantly even if the films themselves aren't very memorable. The ones that were less Oscar bait-y like The Devil Wears Prada, She-Devil, and Death Becomes Her will end up being rewatched and talked about more than Out of Africa or The Iron Lady as the decades fly by.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2023 7:28 PM

And fuck all these actresses, they’re all pretentious Oscar bait actresses.

I like someone like Kirsten Dunst who I think can take on genuinely good parts without thinking about an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2023 7:28 PM

Judy Davis.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2023 7:35 PM

Jodie Foster

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2023 7:40 PM

OH, some people chose Glenn. In a Best Actress poll. Bless their hearts.

by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2023 7:42 PM

Andrea Riseborough

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2023 7:43 PM

Where Julianne Moore?

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2023 7:46 PM

I think Streep wins this one. Once she dies or retires. Cate, Frances, and Jodi can fight it out.

by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2023 7:49 PM

If Cate wants to take Meryl's crown, she is going to need to make some better movies and give some more coherent performances with less scenery-chewing. And learn how to relax and be more "relatable" in interviews, which is maybe Meryl's greatest sleight-of-hand.

by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2023 8:08 PM

Meryl and quite a few women on the list's entire star persona is contingent on their being great actors, thus, people explicitly go to see their films to watch them 'act' in the same way people go to see Julia Roberts to see her laugh and fall in love against the odds. Meryl is the archetype of this actor, but Blanchett and Winslet also fall into this category. The problem with this is that their choices in material become a bit obvious and while sometimes challenging, oftentimes repetetive. Daniel Day-Lewis and Pacino would be the male equivalents that I could think of, off the top of my head.

Meryl is a great actor, but I would say among her peers from the 1970s and '80s, Debra Winger was a far more raw and honest in her performances. Kidman makes far more interesting choices in terms of roles and directors (though she sometimes can also get caught up in being a 'great actor' PR). Both probably have less range than Streep, though to be fair, has Meryle ever played a character who wasn't intelligent?

by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2023 8:57 PM

Mary Fisher and that sex therapist woman from "Web Therapy" and the vulgar president in "Don't Look Up" are not the brightest....and Meryl condescends to their dumbness. But she can play ordinary not-too-bright women, as in "Marvin's Room" and "Hope Springs."

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2023 9:03 PM

My favorite used to be Joan Allen but she doesn't get work anymore.

Samantha Morton. Always outstanding, she's doing a fabulous Catherine de Medici in "The Serpent Queen" right now. Her ten minutes of screentime, or however many it was, stole that "Elizabeth" sequel right out from under Cate Blanchett. Granted it was nothing compared to the first "Elizabeth" flick but Morton put them all to shame anyway. She's a wonderful actress.

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2023 9:18 PM

Christine Blasey Ford

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2023 9:19 PM

Seconding Andrea Riseborough!

by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2023 3:03 AM

Kate Winslet has terrible choices in projects but I find her to be a much better actress than Streep or Close. Cate Blanchett runs so hot and cold. When she's great, there's no one better, when she's bad, she's horrendous, which prevents me from calling her the greatest of our time. Nicole Kidman is awful 90% of the time but has occasional moments of inspired acting, it's laughable she's getting an AFI award.

Julianne Moore is pretty great but seems to not get the Great Actress respect that Winslet, Blanchett, or even one-note (but entertaining) Frannie McD gets...is it because she's very good looking? Gets naked a lot while being American?

Isabelle Huppert is probably my pick if we're going international. I guess I like redheads!

by Anonymousreply 41February 14, 2023 9:36 PM

Meryl is such a boring actress. I never buy her dramatic performances as honest, she's best in comedy when she doesn't have the usual stick up her ass. People look at me like I'm insane when I say her best work was Death Becomes Her!

Her ex-classmate Sigourney Weaver is a lot more charismatic and fun to watch, if less "technically" (whatever THAT means) gifted.

by Anonymousreply 42February 14, 2023 9:40 PM

And someone PLEASE explain to me the new reverence for Kirsten Dunst on here. She is someone who never registered to me except for Melancholia, which I totally credit to Lars von Trier being a fantastic (yes, he is) director of actresses. He got great acting work out of Bjork, for fuck's sake.

Sofia Coppola's movies are beautiful tableaus which would have the same effect with with any fresh faced young actress.

by Anonymousreply 43February 14, 2023 9:44 PM

I've been impressed with Dunst's abilities since Interview with a Vampire, where she pretty much stole the movie from Cruise and Pitt, not just because she was doll-like and adorable, but conveyed the frustration and despair of a much older woman stuck in the body of a child. I've liked Dunst as an adult as well, however, she's a bit limited by her voice, similar to Sally Field. It can be hard for them to play gravitas with such high, thin voices.

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2023 10:19 PM

Funny, R44. I agree with you about Dunst - few actresses of her generation can serve crumbling bravado with the nuance she can - but I was coming in here to say Sally!

by Anonymousreply 45February 15, 2023 12:15 AM

Winslet can fucking do anything. She’s brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 46February 15, 2023 12:25 AM

"OUR time"?

OP, how about your time?

Or are you caught between Helen Twelvetrees and Nazimova?

by Anonymousreply 47February 15, 2023 1:01 AM

I can’t stand Winslet, nor Drunkst.

by Anonymousreply 48February 15, 2023 1:08 AM

I just now realized from this thread that Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet are two different people. I know who Kate Winslet is, I think, so now I have to figure out who Cate B. is.

by Anonymousreply 49February 15, 2023 1:19 AM

How is Kate Winslet in the back end? She's about as good as it's possible to be.

by Anonymousreply 50February 15, 2023 1:25 AM

Annette Bening Julianne Moore

by Anonymousreply 51February 15, 2023 1:26 AM

Sally Field is lot more vivacious than Dunst. She is watchable in very shitty comedies, which Dunst did a lot of (and fell totally flat in) during the 2000s. I saw many of her movies because she was at her mainstream peak when I was in high school/college - we’re about the same age.

She was also totally miscast in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man, which was otherwise a perfectly cast movie. Mary Jane is supposed to be a sassy bombshell, not some whiny girl next door.

by Anonymousreply 52February 15, 2023 1:59 AM

R52 yeah but you have to admit her voice (Sally Fields that is) prevents her from having the gravitas her contemporaries have. Her height probably contributes to that as well. I agree she’s always enjoyable to watch though (even when she’s not very good) which is another quality worth noting in actors generally.

by Anonymousreply 53February 15, 2023 2:03 AM

Judi Dench is still alive, still the queen here, with Maggie Smith and Helen Mirren making up the triumvirate. Meryl is our greatest screen actress, but Glenn counts for a lot (and she continued to do stage work much more than Streep). I love everything Emma Thompson does, and also Tilda Swinton. I think Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, Regina King, are all fine too.

Everybody wins. But Judi Dench is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 54February 15, 2023 2:45 AM

Once upon a time Jane Fonda would have been on this list. It makes me sad people forget how superb she used to be.

But of everyone, I would honestly say Judy Davis is the very best of all of them. "My Brilliant Career," "A Passage to India," "High Tide," "My Brilliant Career," "Husbands and Wives," "Barton Fink," "Me and My Shadow"... she played incredibly different characters in these, and yet she was great in all of them.

by Anonymousreply 55February 15, 2023 2:55 AM

Glenda Jackson - still hasn't lost it even after all those years away from acting. Being a politician kept her skills sharp.

by Anonymousreply 56February 15, 2023 3:02 AM

Kate Winslet is the most underrated overrated actresses.

by Anonymousreply 57February 15, 2023 3:02 AM

Tina Yothers.

by Anonymousreply 58February 15, 2023 3:05 AM

Seconding Samantha Morton. Love her. Cate could be great if she learned to be more relatable in interviews. Stop preaching . You won't ever hear I'm dying to see the new Cate Blanchett movie like you would hear someone say I want to se the new Meryl movie. Merely is a charming woman. Cate can be great but she needs to come down to earth. Like Nicole her whsipery voice acting is shit but I enjoy watching her movies.

by Anonymousreply 59February 15, 2023 3:06 AM

What about us?

by Anonymousreply 60February 15, 2023 3:06 AM

Shirley Booth

by Anonymousreply 61February 15, 2023 3:07 AM

r61: Thanks, Mr. B!

by Anonymousreply 62February 15, 2023 3:12 AM

Perhaps I just haven’t watched enough Meryl Streep movies because I have yet to be impressed by her.

I did watch Viola Davis act circles around her in Doubt though.

by Anonymousreply 63February 15, 2023 3:21 AM

R57 VERY apt way of describing her. She's overblown for the wrong reasons. Her best performances - Heavenly Creatures, Holy Smoke, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - are rarely cited among mainstream discussion of her talent.

by Anonymousreply 64February 15, 2023 3:29 AM

Glenn Close.

The rest are garbage.

by Anonymousreply 65February 15, 2023 5:56 AM

Gina Rowland is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 66February 15, 2023 12:40 PM

R41 Winslet and Blanchett are also hot. And Winslet gets naked a lot. Or at least she used to. Bit she's not an American.

by Anonymousreply 67February 15, 2023 12:42 PM

R43 Kirsten Dunst was great in second season of Fargo. Should have won The Golden Globe for the best actress, instead of Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 68February 15, 2023 12:45 PM

Best of the last 30 years:

Isabelle Huppert

Juliette Binoche

Tilda Swinton

Penelope Cruz

by Anonymousreply 69February 15, 2023 12:46 PM

Nicole Kidman, Andrea Riseborough

by Anonymousreply 70February 15, 2023 12:49 PM

And Toni Collette

by Anonymousreply 71February 15, 2023 12:50 PM

Toni Collette is a better actress than all of those listed in the poll.

I also think Adele Haenel is fantastic in everything she’s in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 15, 2023 12:54 PM

The Ice Queen Rampling anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 15, 2023 12:56 PM

Marion Cotillard - can speak 5 languages, do hundred of accents, can sing and dance, and still doesn't mind presenting her cooter. Glenn and Meryl would never do that.

by Anonymousreply 74February 15, 2023 12:57 PM

R67 Cate blanchett hot? You need your eyes checked Sir.

by Anonymousreply 75February 15, 2023 1:53 PM

Rampling cannot act.

by Anonymousreply 76February 15, 2023 3:24 PM

Penelope is a great actress in her native language, but awful in English. Same with Marion. They deserve to be on this list more than half the choices.

by Anonymousreply 77February 15, 2023 3:50 PM

Has no one mentioned Michelle Williams? I kinda think she's up there...

by Anonymousreply 78February 15, 2023 3:54 PM

Sarosie Ronan is missing form the list. She is a real talent. At the tender age of 28 and already 4 Oscar nominations

by Anonymousreply 79February 15, 2023 4:03 PM

The best actress over the century might be Maureen Stapleton. Or Geraldine Page.

by Anonymousreply 80February 15, 2023 7:38 PM

R75 Like you would know what's hot

by Anonymousreply 81February 15, 2023 8:06 PM

Tori Spelling

by Anonymousreply 82February 15, 2023 8:18 PM

R77 Neither actress is awful in English. The Immigrant, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

by Anonymousreply 83February 16, 2023 5:44 AM

Winslet was terrific in STEVE JOBS and in MARE OF EASTHAM (though the latter was very contrived). Not so much in MILDRED PIERCE, but that series became dull after a few episodes so it wasn't entirely her doing.

by Anonymousreply 84February 16, 2023 4:07 PM

It's easy to hate on Meryl and dismiss her because when you're at the top, there's nowhere to go but down and people love to be contrary. But you don't "accidentally" get 21 Oscars noms.

She's elevated truly awful things like the Bridges of Madison County and She-Devil (where she gave an absolutely brilliant comedic performance). And nobody has the range that she does. Cate's great, but Meryl is just...Meryl. She's the greatest living actress and possibly the greatest actress of all time. She's never turned in a poor performance and if she's gotten bored and is just phoning it in, she's still so good you can't tell.

And she has Oscars, Emmys, and a Grammy. I've always been surprised she didn't take a Broadway job just to get herself a Tony and EGOT, but I think she probably doesn't care. She's not all ego. She's genuinely surprised when she wins things and she's happy for the success of other actors.

Basically, she is the best. You can write that she isn't but we're all just expressing an opinion. None of this is based on fact. Except the fact that more people think she's the best than any other actress.

by Anonymousreply 85February 16, 2023 5:22 PM

Jodie Foster?!

by Anonymousreply 86February 16, 2023 5:32 PM

I feel like people only say Meryl is overrated because they CAN'T say she's underrated! She's the most awarded and esteemed actress alive. What are you gonna say? She's fairly rated? Nah, you're just going to look for non-existent flaws and say "she's overrated".

by Anonymousreply 87February 16, 2023 11:16 PM

Renee Zelwegger?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 88February 16, 2023 11:45 PM

Hilary Swank!

by Anonymousreply 89February 16, 2023 11:47 PM

^two extremely deserved Oscars. NOT overrated.

I recognize your posts, Mrs. Beatty!

by Anonymousreply 90February 17, 2023 8:17 PM

It's still Meryl...no one else can touch her at her best.

by Anonymousreply 91March 14, 2023 10:55 PM

TONI COLLETTE.

by Anonymousreply 92March 15, 2023 6:35 PM

Anna Faris.

by Anonymousreply 93March 17, 2023 9:10 PM

Judy Davis

by Anonymousreply 94March 29, 2023 7:45 PM

Penelope Cruz doesn’t belong on this list.

by Anonymousreply 95March 29, 2023 7:49 PM

OP, you made a mistake.

You didn't put my name on the list.

by Anonymousreply 96March 29, 2023 8:26 PM

The correct answer is, of course, Miss Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 97March 29, 2023 8:37 PM

Anyone who says Meryl is overrated should watch Kramer Vs Kramer then Doubt

Or Sophie's choice then Silkwood

Or A Cry In The Dark then Adaptation

Or Postcards From The Edge then The Hours

Or Death Becomes Her then Ironweed

Or Out Of Africa then The Devil Wears Prada

Or Florence Foster Jenkins then Angels In America

by Anonymousreply 98March 29, 2023 9:02 PM

I think Cate is this generation’s Meryl in terms of wide recognition as a great actress. They are about 20 years apart. As you go younger, I can’t think of anyone but maybe it takes time.

by Anonymousreply 99March 29, 2023 9:12 PM

[quote]I think Cate is this generation’s Meryl in terms of wide recognition as a great actress.

Cate's great. Personally I like Winslet more. But neither of them will ever be the chameleon that Streep is. It's not just the accents. It's the movement, the posture, everything. She has a such a distinct look, and yet when she played Lindy Chamberlain, Sophie, Miranda Priestly, Julia Child-I never once thought "I'm watching Meryl Streep". She just disappears effortlessly into characters.

by Anonymousreply 100March 29, 2023 9:29 PM

Meh, probably someone who isn't all that famous and who we have never heard of. "Greatest" is very relative, and who ends up on top of Hollywood needn't be the best at all. Plus, it's very subjective.

by Anonymousreply 101March 29, 2023 10:31 PM

Samantha Morton

Olivia Coleman

by Anonymousreply 102March 29, 2023 10:50 PM

R101, I can agree with you on that. And I'd be comfortable saying Meryl Streep is the most accomplished actress of her generation or possibly ever.

by Anonymousreply 103March 30, 2023 12:42 AM

R80, agree. Also, Colleen Dewhurst.

by Anonymousreply 104March 30, 2023 1:27 AM

Cate losing the Oscar to that glorified stunt woman was beyond. Fàil.

by Anonymousreply 105March 30, 2023 1:51 AM

[quote]Cate losing the Oscar to that glorified stunt woman was beyond. Fàil.

I'd like to revise my precious reply that Meryl Streep is the greatest actress of our time and replace it with Michelle Yeoh.

by Anonymousreply 106March 30, 2023 2:36 AM

*previous^

by Anonymousreply 107March 30, 2023 2:36 AM

Lesley Manville is the best actress working today. She is better than all the people in OP's list.

Cate Blanchett's Oscar-winning performance in Blue Jasmine was a copycat of Manville's superior turn in Another Year. It's shocking that Manville didn't even get an Oscar nomination for that performance.

by Anonymousreply 108March 30, 2023 3:15 AM

I like Leslie Mann more than Lesley Manville. But I'm not sure she's Oscar ready yet (but she may have deserved a nom for Knocked Up)

by Anonymousreply 109March 30, 2023 3:36 AM

I dont like Cate’s acting. She is never lost in the character. Every time I watch Cate onscreen, I am reminded it is Cate Blanchett acting.

by Anonymousreply 110March 30, 2023 3:37 AM

I love that Glen Streep movie, Sophie’s Chill.

by Anonymousreply 111March 30, 2023 3:44 AM

[quote]I dont like Cate’s acting

She plays "icy" very well!!

by Anonymousreply 112March 30, 2023 3:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!