Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Welcome to the Dollhouse"

It's on HBO Max. Rewatched it last night and it still holds up as the blackest of hilarious black comedies.

"Why do you hate me?"

"Because you're UGLY. Now shit."

And I loved the angry jungle drums on the soundtrack whenever Dawn would get furious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 12:50 AM

:) Just your comments about the jungle drums made me laugh my ass off..

What about when the perfect sister would always be shot ballerina dancing-

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2022 2:16 AM

One of the most accurate depictions of early adolescence I've seen in my life. Middle school is universally considered the worst years of your life. The cute guy who played the bully was also in Empire Records, Pecker and Black Hawk Down.

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2022 2:41 AM

"Dawn, can we ask you a question?"

"Are you a lesbo?"

"LESBO! LESBO! LESBO!"

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2022 2:52 AM

So hilarious and tragic at the same time. Dawn is certainly pitiable but she’s not entirely likable either.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2023 12:28 PM

I think all of modern day America can be found in 'Welcome to the Dollhouse' and 'Happiness.'

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2023 12:52 PM

You think you’re hot shit, but you’re just cold diarrhea!

This was one of the movies my friends and I saw in a little artsy theatre in freshman year of high school and still quote it to this day. We loved how weird it was.

Has anyone seen the sequel?

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2023 1:04 PM

Yo Weiner, you better get ready, 'cause at three o' clock today, I'm gonna RAPE you!

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 1:05 PM

High school's better than junior high. They'll call you names, but not as much to your face.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 1:06 PM

"Special people" equals "retarded." Your club is for retards.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 1:07 PM

Love this movie. So twisted. Happiness on the hand was just downright disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2023 1:09 PM

Maybe if all kids could see what real bullying looks like they could handle whatever they have to endure. Getting bullied, learning to hold you own and yes even getting physical to defend yourself are useful in a kids growth to adulthood. Childhood is tough at times. It needs to be. Otherwise we will be a world of cry babies running to teacher or mama when the going gets tough. Learn to stand up for yourself at least a little.

by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2023 1:10 PM

Yeah, the kid who played the bully was certainly a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2023 9:13 PM

“I’m going to WAPE you.”

by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2023 9:17 PM

It’s a great movie. Gets better every time you watch it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2023 9:21 PM

He was memorable in Empire Records too, R12. This was one of my favorite movies as a teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2023 11:27 PM

LOVE WTTD, but Happiness was darker, yet still funny.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 10:57 AM

One of my favorite movies ever!

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 1:05 PM

Haven't seen this one since its original release, but it's one from the glory days of independent movies. I am a Philly guy and in the 90s I would travel 45 minutes to the Ritz theater in Voorhees New Jersey which was the creme de le creme of arthouse movie theaters during the 90s. Saw so many memorable indies there: Sling Blade, Boogie Nights, The Apostle, Blair Witch Project, Boys Don't Cry, Election, Crying Game, Good Will Hunting, Happiness, Jackie Brown. Great memories (and fantastic popcorn - with real butter - yes, I type fat)

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 7:34 PM

I absolutely love this film. I use recommending WTTD and Happiness it as a determining factor when I'm not sure if I wants to be friends with somebody.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 8:55 PM

Todd Solondz: I loved WTTD and Happiness. Barely remember Palindromes. What has his other work been like?

by Anonymousreply 20January 25, 2023 4:00 AM

I just realized that this film could work really well as a stage play

by Anonymousreply 21January 29, 2023 2:19 PM

Whenever we have one piece of cake left, we call it ‘Dawn’s piece’, and we split it just like Missy and Mark did.

by Anonymousreply 22January 29, 2023 2:31 PM

R19 my dad used to do that with potential girlfriends. He’d show them Happiness and Freeway and see how they reacted. If they liked the movies, they were keepers. I think only one woman liked both, and she’s a bit of a nut. But I like her.

by Anonymousreply 23January 29, 2023 2:38 PM

“Dooowan, tell yoah sistah you love huh!”

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2024 12:49 AM

Saw this the day I broke up with my boyfriend. Bittersweet memories.

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2024 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!