Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #485 : Mary Rodgers and Steve: Side By Side By Side By Side

Continuing theatre gossip

by Anonymousreply 603August 15, 2022 1:06 AM

Thank you OP. I had anxiety about (1) the long span without a thread and (2) the possibility of my feeling the need to create one!

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2022 12:35 PM

Just because we need to get it over with: OP, that's a weak title for the thread. Hope someone else comes up with a better one so we can all post there.

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2022 12:43 PM

It's fine, r2. Drink your Possum and stop making trouble. Multiple threads with the same number is miserable.

So, predictions on who wants what at Prada? Does Lady Elton want the whole thing to go away rather then endure more criticism? I predict if it [italic] does [/italic] move forward, newbie Weatherhead gets the axe. It surely does sound like Shapiro should go to. Whatever was she doing directing a musical, especially [italic] this [/italic] musical in the first place? I don't think [italic] anything [/italic] begs for Casey Nicholaw, but this one might. Shallow, dance-heavy, and a bitchy sensibility.

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2022 12:47 PM

Or get that Jerry Mitchell fellow! He could direct and choreograph and we'd save a little money right there.

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2022 12:49 PM

I don't see Prada working without Elton collaborating with the rest of the creatives and that queen has a reputation of not cooperating with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2022 12:50 PM

Just know there will be hell to pay if any women on the "creative" team are replaced by men!

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2022 12:51 PM

Amanda Green is available.

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2022 1:16 PM

Amanda Green is ALWAYS available!

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2022 1:18 PM

And speaking of Green, does anyone have the Mary Rodgers book yet?

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2022 1:29 PM

Awaiting my copy today, r9, pre-ordered on Amazon!!!

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2022 1:35 PM

Me, too. Kindle postponed its release by a month--very annoying, since I'd otherwise have been reading it since midnight!

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2022 1:37 PM

Wow, R3, you don't have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2022 1:39 PM

Jane Lynch leaving Funny Girl even earlier than expected. Final performance on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2022 1:58 PM

Elton and Britney are releasing a collab, so his attention will be with that for the foreseeable

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2022 2:14 PM

R2, OP's title makes more sense if you have read the relevant passage from the book.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2022 2:15 PM

But still not clever or funny, R15. A much better title was even suggested in the last thread:

Call Me When He's Dead!

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2022 2:31 PM

Hope you meant Postum, r3. Drinking Possum sounds icky.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2022 2:49 PM

Has anyone read the Mary Rodgers book yet? Anything juicy other that what’s already been reported?

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2022 2:49 PM

r9: And speaking of Green, does anyone have the Mary Rodgers book yet?

r18: Has anyone read the Mary Rodgers book yet? Anything juicy other that what’s already been reported?

r19: Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2022 3:11 PM

Prada needs to recast Jackie Hoffman in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2022 3:21 PM

Hoffman's a bit old for the Anne Hathaway part, don't ya think?

Seriously, one of the criticism's of the PRADA musical is that Miranda is NOT a lead player in this version. And I shudder to think of what a designer-chic Jackie Hoffman would look like.

PRADA is as good as dead. Forget Bway. It doesn't salvageable, even if they recast and/or redesign the entire thing.

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2022 3:25 PM

^ doesn't sound salvageable

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2022 3:25 PM

There you go. Jane Lynch is leaving FG to take over the Miranda role in TDWP. And they're bringing Beanie in as the Eiffel Tower!

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2022 3:41 PM

More like the Louvre, R23.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2022 3:57 PM

So who is the understudy for Lynch that will do the part until Vulva takes over?

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2022 4:11 PM

[quote] Prada needs to recast Jackie Hoffman in the lead.

As what, the handbag?

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2022 4:13 PM

The Funny Girl contracts are the weirdest I’ve ever heard of.

Does the entire cast just use a Lazy Susan and hope of the best when picking exit dates?

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2022 4:23 PM

I'm the one who usually complains about the titles and I don't think there's anything so bad about this one. Leave the criticisms to me, R2.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2022 4:29 PM

The contracts and how they are being handled are some of the most unprofessional behavior (ON ALL SIDES) that I’ve ever seen happen. It’s really unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2022 4:29 PM

[quote] So who is the understudy for Lynch that will do the part until Vulva takes over?

all the articles say, you lazy bitch. Taboo's Liz McCartney

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2022 4:32 PM

I believe what's happening is Jane Lynch is taking advantage of a two week vacation she was due but never used.

No drama here at all!

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2022 4:33 PM

[quote] Wow, [R3], you don't have a clue.

Care to give me one? WTF are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2022 4:33 PM

How is a show open for 4 months and you get a two week vacation?

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2022 4:34 PM

Anna Shapiro is not beloved in Chicago circles.

I bet there's a lot of schadenfreude.in the Windy City today.

I'd pay money to hear Paul Rudnick's take on all this.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2022 4:38 PM

Exactly R33.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2022 4:54 PM

[quote]Drinking Possum sounds icky.

Besides, I don't think the Clampetts even owned a blender.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2022 5:22 PM

r29 Give us the details then

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2022 5:54 PM

Why the hell did every major national critic go to Chicago to see PRADA? Were they invited? WTF was that thinking?

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2022 5:58 PM

r38, you're living in the past. There is no such thing as "major critics" anymore. The profession is dead. What few papers are left have cut them, and the rest are on their way. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2022 6:11 PM

[quote] you're living in the past.

isn't that our motto?

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2022 6:27 PM

Possum is greasy enough that a long braising simmer leaves it pretty much mush, if you find a younger female (or two).

Meat goes through the hand sausage grinder set extra fine, and the rest gets pushed through a sieve. You then combine the two, reheat, season to taste, and add to a nice big mug with the handle still on it, so you can sip and rock and think about the hills of your first home.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2022 6:38 PM

Chris Jones from the Trib on Prada

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2022 6:46 PM

Jackie Hoffman would kill as Miranda Priestly. Her scenery chewing is the only thing that will save this turkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2022 7:00 PM

Favorite line from Mary's book so far-

"Talent excuses almost anything but Arthur Laurents".

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2022 7:03 PM

YES I MEANT POSTUM

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2022 7:05 PM

YOU CALL THIS POSTUM??!

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2022 7:08 PM

Hadyn Gwynne has the look of a Miranda Priestley.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2022 7:10 PM

Jane Lynch jumping ship now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2022 7:19 PM

This doesn't reflect well on Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2022 7:23 PM

Critics knew not to wait until Broadway for Prada because they knew it won't likely get there. And if it does, how fascinating it'll be to write about all the changes since Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2022 7:51 PM

From all reports, the characters of Miranda and Andi don't have a song together and they should, at least one in each act. Miranda also needs a strong song in each act that gives us insight to her behavior. From all reports, this Miranda (Beth Leavel) is just not bitchy enough. The scene in the film where she is caught looking like hell after getting news of her divorce is not a sung moment but is a good dramatic scene; if it's not in the musical, it should be.

Giving Nigel a number about his growing up gay has nothing to do with the story, especially by the time it comes in Act Two. We know he's gay so just move on. A good song moment would be when he is re-dressing Andi. We'd get his love for his job and his knowledge of fashion.

I don't think this one is headed to Broadway unless they revise the entire book and they provide better songs.

by Anonymousreply 51August 9, 2022 8:06 PM

" Funny Girl" is significant in that it has set precedent for stars to leave the show early and break their contract if the show isn't a smash or they don't get an award. For that, it's memorable. Congrats to the production team.

by Anonymousreply 52August 9, 2022 8:06 PM

Maybe they could change it from gay to poz.

by Anonymousreply 53August 9, 2022 8:07 PM

Didn't Carol Burnett leave Fade Out, Fade In early.

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2022 8:07 PM

[quote]Giving Nigel a number about his growing up gay has nothing to do with the story, especially by the time it comes in Act Two. We know he's gay so just move on.

Who's in the audience? Gay men. This is a bone for them. Much like the number in " The Prom." They hope more gay men will flock to the show because their life story is on stage.

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2022 8:08 PM

Younger audiences will watch a big musical number about a middle-aged man who is an editor at a woman's fashion magazine.... and guess what? He's GAY.

To quote Miranda Priestly: groundbreaking.

[sound of crickets]

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2022 8:24 PM

Now that he's dead, they should write Andre Leon Talley (or composite) into the show. How fat is Titus Burgess at the moment?

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2022 8:34 PM

LOL

I offer a special thanks to my current scene partner Julie Benko and will be back to see my friend Lea Michele light up the lights

by Anonymousreply 58August 9, 2022 8:54 PM

????

by Anonymousreply 59August 9, 2022 8:56 PM

Darling do try to keep up

by Anonymousreply 60August 9, 2022 9:34 PM

I'm wondering if that's a joke or Jane Lynch snapchatted that on her "an" Onlyfans.

by Anonymousreply 61August 9, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote]Didn't Carol Burnett leave Fade Out, Fade In early.

Yes, and Lucille Ball left Wildcat early. But both are long, complicated stories.

by Anonymousreply 62August 9, 2022 10:02 PM

OP, you suck but you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 63August 9, 2022 10:06 PM

Carol Burnett is not a long complicated story. She was fornicating with a married man. She got pregnant. They put the show on hiatus until after she gave birth. She didn’t want to finish her contract. They tried to put someone else in the show, but it flopped.

Carol said, “This is my day, I’m on my way, I’m going Hollywood.”

by Anonymousreply 64August 9, 2022 10:08 PM

Ball's story wasn't all that complicated. She tried hard but the show had a difficult time out of town and Ball's years of heavy drinking and smoking had left her unequipped to lead a big musical eight times a week for weeks on end. She actually passed out onstage at one point.

by Anonymousreply 65August 9, 2022 10:08 PM

The cunt was only 49. FORTY-NINE!

by Anonymousreply 66August 9, 2022 10:10 PM

Jeremy Piven left that Mamet play early because of mercury poisoning. Nobody believed he got it from eating sushi as he claimed.

by Anonymousreply 67August 9, 2022 10:10 PM

They should write Andre Leon Talley into "Prada" but make him a total pussy hound.

Plot twist!

by Anonymousreply 68August 9, 2022 10:13 PM

The Devil Wears Caftans

by Anonymousreply 69August 9, 2022 10:15 PM

More accurately, Piven was able to leave the show because he got a doctor to say he had mercury poisoning. That isn't actually the same thing as having it.

Mamet said at the time that Piven left the show to start a new career as a thermometer.

by Anonymousreply 70August 9, 2022 10:15 PM

Prada doesn’t make any sense as a musical. Streep was the only interesting thing in it and the Andi character was only interesting as a foil for Miranda - the whole thing is just Miranda setting impossibly high standards that Andi continues to meet. Anything outside of that, esp. her boyfriend and friends is dire. Two good supporting roles.

But the entire film is mostly montages - how do you adapt that on stage? The montages are what gives the film its energy and even then only about a third of it works.

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2022 10:16 PM

They could turn Andi into an Eve Harrington type character, then you retool to have All About Eve set in the fashion world.

by Anonymousreply 72August 9, 2022 10:20 PM

Has Beanie read the Mary Rodgers book yet? How does Beanie feel about Jane Lynch leaving Funny Girl? Will Beanie see Prada?

by Anonymousreply 73August 9, 2022 10:25 PM

[quote] But the entire film is mostly montages - how do you adapt that on stage? The montages are what gives the film its energy and even then only about a third of it works

but that's exactly the problem. They should be inspired by the story of the film (and book) - not adapting the film itself. Montages are, mostly, are movie technique. But look at the "Tonight" quintet in West Side Story and the whole "Ladies in Their Sensitivities" sequence in Sweeney. Montages, in musical theater terms. "A Weekend in the Country" from a show adapted from a a film.

by Anonymousreply 74August 9, 2022 10:27 PM

Forgive me if this is old news but I just read on Broadwayworld.com that Robyn Goodman is producing a new Broadway musical based on....Working Girl! With music and lyrics by Cyndi Lauper, libretto by nobody's fave Theresa Rebeck and direction by yet another hack Christopher Ashley (known in the biz as Crashley).

Who needs this? If the show is set in the 1980s it will seem horribly dated and misogynistic. If it's set in the present, the story makes no sense in today's world. Are any of them or their investors reading those Chicago reviews of The Devil Wears Prada?

What is wrong with people??

by Anonymousreply 75August 9, 2022 10:29 PM

Montages, when created with talent, can highly theatrical.

by Anonymousreply 76August 9, 2022 10:30 PM

David Burtka left that comedy starring Tyne Daly where he played a young man getting married.

Gossip on the street was that Neil wanted to vacation in the Hamptons and gave David a “Broadway or me” ultimatum.

However, Tyne’s ex husband was a fine looking black man and I think he came to see the show and David gave him a come hither look. Tyne called Neil and said, “Get your bitch out of town or there will be consequences.”

by Anonymousreply 77August 9, 2022 10:31 PM

Company is nothing but montages.

by Anonymousreply 78August 9, 2022 10:33 PM

The Nanny Diaries: The Musical starring Beanie Feldstein as the nanny, Hugh Jackman as the investment banker father and Laura Benanti as the cold, society mother. Plenty of room in the chorus for black, Hispanic and Asian au pairs!

by Anonymousreply 79August 9, 2022 10:36 PM

[quote]This doesn't reflect well on Lynch.

Nor does it reflect on her badly, r49.

by Anonymousreply 80August 9, 2022 10:41 PM

"It will seem horribly dated and misogynistic"

Says who? It's a Cinderella story with a working-class character who aspires to a better life, and occasionally makes poor choices along the way...like millions of people do every day. It's called life. Being human.

What IS objectionable is the lack of imagination and poverty of ideas that have become de rigueur on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2022 11:00 PM

Prada has to be worst produced musical ever. They had all of COVID shut down to rewrite and get it better, and this turd ends up on stage in Chicago. Does anyone know how to produce anymore?

by Anonymousreply 82August 9, 2022 11:24 PM

Which flop will be the last straw in the “take a movie, throw in some songs, and call it Broadway” trend?

by Anonymousreply 83August 9, 2022 11:30 PM

Look at it this way, Encores won’t be shutting down anytime soon.

Season 55: Mrs. Doubtfire, The Devil Wears Prada and A Strange Loop.

by Anonymousreply 84August 9, 2022 11:34 PM

r84, it will if they keep rewriting shows in horrific ways and audiences get fed up enough. Can you imagine the rewrite Mrs. Doubtfire would get with the Billy Porter's future equivalent? "“The comedy is doing the storytelling a disservice! It's really the story of a married man coming out as trans!" Shudder.

by Anonymousreply 85August 9, 2022 11:40 PM

Wasn't the Mrs. Doubtfire mess McCollum too?

by Anonymousreply 86August 9, 2022 11:52 PM

Yesindeedy

by Anonymousreply 87August 9, 2022 11:57 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 2012, a production of "Into The Woods" opened at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park.

by Anonymousreply 88August 10, 2022 12:19 AM

Does anyone know how much a director like Jerry Zaks is getting every week for his crappy direction of a smash hit like The Music Man whose success he has nothing to do with?

by Anonymousreply 89August 10, 2022 12:24 AM

I assume Zaks is part of the creatives' royalty pool (along with the estate of Meredith Wilson), sharing in points of the gross profits each week.

I don't know the specific breakdown, but it could mean 20%/25% of that pool, which could reach up to 1/3 of the gross profits.

We're talking huge money, potentially.

by Anonymousreply 90August 10, 2022 12:36 AM

PS: their box office was down last week, but TMM has been grossing in excess of $3 million each week.

Cha-ching.

by Anonymousreply 91August 10, 2022 12:40 AM

What is Rudin making?

by Anonymousreply 92August 10, 2022 12:58 AM

License plates, r92

by Anonymousreply 93August 10, 2022 1:00 AM

Meredith Willson, r90. Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 94August 10, 2022 1:36 AM

I wasn't even alive during the golden age of Broadway, but I sure do miss it. All the creativity on display. Sure, there were a fair share of flops at that time, too, but it was a much more interesting landscape. If I were to plan a New York trip for later this year, I wouldn't even know what to go see. I wish off-Broadway was more viable these days. So many great and interesting voices got their start there and it's a wonderful way to workshop new shows and new talents.

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2022 1:38 AM

Speaking of A Strange Loop, it's had at least 118 non-preview performances to date. In order to not hold the record for shortest-running Tony winner for Best Musical, it needs to surpass Passion's "grand" total of 280 non-preview performances. What do we think? Can ASL last at least 162 more performances? At eight shows a week, the threshold would be crossed at Christmastime.

by Anonymousreply 96August 10, 2022 2:00 AM

Looks like they’re barely above their pre-win grosses. It’s a big fat queer ass FLOP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 10, 2022 2:13 AM

Somebody jokingly said Tituss as ALT but Tituss would give that limp fish of a musical some jolts of energy.

by Anonymousreply 98August 10, 2022 2:50 AM

Well R74, the montages in Prada are like Miranda dropping her coat on the desk 20 times or Andi walking to work in progressively better clothes 20 times. Not exactly the stuff of counter melody quartets. But good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 99August 10, 2022 3:12 AM

The Devil Wears Prada is a Faust adaptation. Andi is lured in by the opportunity (I'll do this for a little while and get great contacts), then because she's a bright, efficient girl her sense of excellence is challenged by Miranda's standards so she gets more and more sucked in, and before she knows it she's part of it: putting down or neglecting her partner and friends and ultimately betraying Emily for no better reason than that she is becoming Miranda's mini-me.

That is the proper through-line for a musical. It's essentially a high-fashion Damn Yankees. If you start going off on tangents you're done.

by Anonymousreply 100August 10, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote]The contracts and how they are being handled are some of the most unprofessional behavior (ON ALL SIDES) that I’ve ever seen happen. It’s really unbelievable.

Agreed. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that one of the producers is an inept, incompetent taste-free turd who somehow keeps failing upward.

by Anonymousreply 101August 10, 2022 3:28 AM

I think they'll run A Strange Loop through the end of the year even if it's running to the ushers and the bartenders only. They want to save face. They'll make all their millionaire celebrity investors who bought themselves Tony Awards keep shoveling money into it.

by Anonymousreply 102August 10, 2022 3:29 AM

Jerry Zaks might be a hack, but he’s an incredibly rich hack.

by Anonymousreply 103August 10, 2022 3:39 AM

Mack & Georgia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 10, 2022 4:11 AM

Oh i wish I could have heard Brown sing that back when she still had a voice.

And if you've only heard Bernie sing it on the OBCR, which is great, but still check out her later performances, both legit and boots. Her performance improved and grew and deepened immeasurably over the years.

by Anonymousreply 105August 10, 2022 7:47 AM

[quote]I think they'll run A Strange Loop through the end of the year even if it's running to the ushers and the bartenders only.

And blame it on the inherent racism and homophobia of Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 106August 10, 2022 10:50 AM

I love Georgia Brown.

She sang “Time Heals Everything” on the Mack & Mabel In Concert cd. I’m not sure if that’s still in print, but I think it’s all on YouTube. That was the performance where for some reason they had Tommy Tune play the Lisa Kirk role.

I love Georgia Brown’s version of The Saga of Jenny. She recorded an album of Gershwin songs and an album of Weill songs and in the 90s, they combined them onto one cd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 10, 2022 11:34 AM

[Quote] one of the producers is an inept, incompetent taste-free turd who somehow keeps failing upward.

So hard to choose. Sonia, Landis or Babani. Which inept, incompetent taste-free turd who somehow keeps failing upward do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 108August 10, 2022 11:57 AM

Kim Criswell painted a not so flattering portrait of Georgie Brown. The impression was that she needed a whipping boy and Criswell became hers.

by Anonymousreply 109August 10, 2022 12:16 PM

As we know Criswell had no filters. If you piss of Sondheim, you’re really a piece of work. Georgia Brown probably wanted professional. Plus, she was dying of cancer, so she may not have been in the best frame of mind.

by Anonymousreply 110August 10, 2022 12:31 PM

What show did Brown do with Kriswell?

by Anonymousreply 111August 10, 2022 12:39 PM

My copy of SHY arrived yesterday. Once I started reading it after dinner, I couldn't put it down and read 80 pages. It's remarkably entertaining, very conversational, totally engaging. There are anecdotes to discuss here for decades.

by Anonymousreply 112August 10, 2022 12:41 PM

[quote]There are anecdotes to discuss here for decades.

If you do, please start a separate thread, so we can avoid another " Follies" fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 113August 10, 2022 12:44 PM

Threepenny Opera. She talks about it from about 36:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 10, 2022 12:46 PM

Def agree with r113 and there's a thread already - although it could be confusing considering the title of this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 10, 2022 12:49 PM

You think we can avoid Follies in a Theatre Gossip Thread?

by Anonymousreply 116August 10, 2022 12:54 PM

Did anyone consider Laura Benanti for Miranda? She seems so right and it would have helped to distinguish the musical from the movie to have a middle aged rather than elderly Miranda.

A red wig was a nice try, but age could have done it.

by Anonymousreply 117August 10, 2022 1:09 PM

Is it just because of Streep that it feels that Miranda needs to be slender and angular? Is she described physically in the novel?

by Anonymousreply 118August 10, 2022 1:16 PM

Benanti wouldn’t have uprooted to Chicago. She seems to have her hands full lately with Jersey blues, Covid, and a newborn.

by Anonymousreply 119August 10, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote]You think we can avoid Follies in a Theatre Gossip Thread?

No, but we can hope to avoid every theater gossip thread being hijacked by Rodgers discussion, as has been the case with " Follies."

by Anonymousreply 120August 10, 2022 1:20 PM

[Quote] Is it just because of Streep that it feels that Miranda needs to be slender and angular?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

by Anonymousreply 121August 10, 2022 1:20 PM

[quote]You think we can avoid Follies in a Theatre Gossip Thread?

Truthfully, R116, I wonder what gay theatre fans gossiped about in the 1960s, before they could truly raise their Standard and unite behind it. (Or at least, be united in arguing about it endlessly.) It must have been a Babel: like Rick's Cafe Americain before Victor Laszlo got them all started on La Marsellaise.

by Anonymousreply 122August 10, 2022 1:29 PM

I expect there was a lot of back and forth over Ethel in GYPSY vs Mary in The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 123August 10, 2022 1:32 PM

[quote]buck a nun!

Cheap at twice the price.

by Anonymousreply 124August 10, 2022 1:33 PM

R122, they talked about Lucy's inability to keep WILDCAT going, as much fun as they had at the show. They argued about who actually saw ANYONE CAN WHISTLE during its short run and also argued about who Really saw Lainie Kazan go on for Barbra in FUNNY GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 125August 10, 2022 1:42 PM

They hotly debated whether Kaye Ballard was considered for any part in MAME, let alone the title role.

by Anonymousreply 126August 10, 2022 1:45 PM

Is SeatGeek the worst service to get tickets?

by Anonymousreply 127August 10, 2022 1:58 PM

R118, I think it is more because Anna Wintour is slender and angular.

by Anonymousreply 128August 10, 2022 2:01 PM

"Is SeatGeek the worst service to get tickets?"

I had no problem with it. And I absolutely LOVE that you can transfer tix to another party for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 129August 10, 2022 2:04 PM

One of the Devil cast members said THE SHOW WILL BE GOING DIRECTLY TO BROADWAY on Instagram. Bless his heart.

by Anonymousreply 130August 10, 2022 2:11 PM

For those that have seen Prada, does Michael Tacconi take his shirt off ?

by Anonymousreply 131August 10, 2022 2:57 PM

Queen reviews Prada

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 10, 2022 3:10 PM

All of STRANGE LOOP's celebrity producers didn't put a dime into the show.

by Anonymousreply 133August 10, 2022 3:31 PM

I know we're all sick of Funny Girl by now, but the MARYS over at Broadway World are killing me:

[quote] I think Beanie took a day off when Julie was down with covid so Ephie could take the lead for one show before she left. A little friendly actor taking care of another actor business.

What kind of enchanted wonderland do these people live in where actors do things like this?

by Anonymousreply 134August 10, 2022 3:35 PM

I was rolling my eyes at the first few seconds of the queen at R132 but DAMN if Miss Girl didn't pretty much nail the entire cluster of issues in a nutshell!

by Anonymousreply 135August 10, 2022 3:35 PM

Prada’s design can be fixed, the show tightened, and characters deepened before Broadway

But what the fuck are they going to do about that score?

by Anonymousreply 136August 10, 2022 3:44 PM

Prada's design can be fixed but but will cost thousands and thousands of dollars. Even a simple dress made in a union costume shop these days can cost at least $2500. And new set pieces? Forget it!

by Anonymousreply 137August 10, 2022 3:49 PM

[quote]What kind of enchanted wonderland do these people live in where actors do things like this?

Oh c'mon, r134, Beanie, by that point, was *over* it. She was just counting the days and Ephie was no competition to her. She is to Julie, though.

by Anonymousreply 138August 10, 2022 3:49 PM

The fact that they shortchanged their costume budget because they thought that:

A) Designers would lend them couture

and

B) Said couture would last being quick-changed in and out of for 8 shows a week

… is insane.

by Anonymousreply 139August 10, 2022 3:59 PM

Did I miss something, r139? The couture *wasn't* built by costume shops?

by Anonymousreply 140August 10, 2022 4:07 PM

Did anyone catch the All That Chat thread on Laura Osnes before it was removed?

All the enraged queens came out to play, smearing everyone they could. I have friends who won't go to that site even if they themselves are mentioned, because there are so many self-righteous freaks there now.

It went on for quite some time before Ann pulled the plug. I was surprised, though, at how long she let it run. Maybe she wasn't reading it at the time. I know she has a lie, even kids to raise, I was told.

I felt the tone of the place changed when she let the despicable Ryhog take over the site. And when he was joined by Singapore etc., the site was beyond saving. We used to complain about Bruce Memblatt and others such, but they were irritating, not destructive. And there were some who were thrown off the site really for being pathetic and needy and talking too much.

It's odd how Ann decides whom to coddle and whom to bash.

by Anonymousreply 141August 10, 2022 4:21 PM

^^^ I know she has a LIFE, not lie.

by Anonymousreply 142August 10, 2022 4:22 PM

R25 I don't believe Kim Criswell ever was a "Broadway star" like that description of her in the video. If I recall, she had a chorus role in "Nine" as one of the ladies (maybe she was an understudy) and she was like a background voice in "Baby". She apparently must met someone in the UK who advance her career, since all of a sudden there are CDs and things with her name coming out of England. Is she box-office there?

by Anonymousreply 143August 10, 2022 4:22 PM

oops, that was to R114

by Anonymousreply 144August 10, 2022 4:24 PM

DL fave Max von Essen hears the sound of magic feet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 10, 2022 4:27 PM

And Elizabeth "Downton Abbey" McGovern as Ava Gardner?

Ummm. Sure, why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 10, 2022 4:29 PM

[quote] All of STRANGE LOOP's celebrity producers didn't put a dime into the show.

They are there as endorsements/influencers and to get Tonys. The first part didn't work - or didn't work enough - and the second part did. EGOT is ever-more meaningless, although it actually always was. In our sound-bite world it's treated like an actual accomplishment

by Anonymousreply 147August 10, 2022 4:41 PM

No one cares R141.

by Anonymousreply 148August 10, 2022 5:20 PM

Kim Criswell was a star in the John McGlinn universe, nowhere else.

by Anonymousreply 149August 10, 2022 5:23 PM

She was Olivier nominated for "Annie Get Your Gun." She was good in the clips I've seen as Margaret White in a London "Carrie" from a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 150August 10, 2022 5:28 PM

I agree with R148. No one here cares about drama on ATC.

by Anonymousreply 151August 10, 2022 5:32 PM

[quote]Did anyone catch the All That Chat thread on Laura Osnes before it was removed? It went on for quite some time before Ann pulled the plug. I was surprised, though, at how long she let it run. Maybe she wasn't reading it at the time.

[quote]No one cares [R141].

Don't speak for the rest of us, r148 and r151. We don't need hall monitors here. A seemingly much-beloved poster here (c-list actor) posts on ATC on a near-daily basis.

It's odd what Ann allows and doesn't on All That Chat, and for how long, r141. The Osnes thread, mostly about how she "vanished" after hiding the fact that she was unvaxxed in the early days of Crazy For You, and Tony Yazbeck's part in outing her, was interesting.

There was a three day period when the ATC board was completely overtaken by the Alice Ripley "grooming" scandal. Three days in a row, the entire page was filled, then deleted. It was nuts.

[quote]I think Beanie took a day off when Julie was down with covid so Ephie could take the lead for one show before she left. A little friendly actor taking care of another actor business.

[quote]What kind of enchanted wonderland do these people live in where actors do things like this?

I have no personal knowledge of that specific situation, r134, but I've worked on Broadway for decades. An actor showing another actor a kindness in that way is not at all rare, especially when it is easy to do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 10, 2022 5:48 PM

[Quote] A seemingly much-beloved poster here (c-list actor) posts on ATC on a near-daily basis.

O.... K.... And waddya want me to do about that?

by Anonymousreply 153August 10, 2022 5:49 PM

[quote]So hard to choose. Sonia, Landis or Babani. Which inept, incompetent taste-free turd who somehow keeps failing upward do you mean?

Well, I personally am familiar with the incompetence, ineptitude, and tastelessness of of only one of them -- Babani -- so that's whom I was referencing specifically.

by Anonymousreply 154August 10, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote]A seemingly much-beloved poster here (c-list actor) posts on ATC on a near-daily basis.

[quote]O.... K.... And waddya want me to do about that?

Why nothing at all, r153, except for you understand that while you want to limit what people here can talk about, some of us will discuss whatever we choose to.

Yazbeck and Berresse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 10, 2022 5:58 PM

[quote]DL fave Max von Essen hears the sound of magic feet...

That should have been "DL fave Max von Essen hears the beat of dancing feet," but thanks for trying.

by Anonymousreply 156August 10, 2022 5:59 PM

Kim at The Proms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 10, 2022 6:01 PM

[quote]No, but we can hope to avoid every theater gossip thread being hijacked by Rodgers discussion, as has been the case with " Follies."

Why would discussion of Mary Rodgers' memoir be considered "hijacking" a theater thread -- especially when, apparently, the book is filled with gossip and fodder for gossip? I guess you're one of those dreaded hall monitors, but I hope you understand that we don't have to listen to you.

by Anonymousreply 158August 10, 2022 6:07 PM

It sounded like the went back to some of the original keys and arrangements for Margaret's songs when Criswell did Carrie. They're much more thrilling that the other recent versions. It also probably helps that she's a physically imposing Margaret who looks like she could really beat the shit out of her daughter. She's not the best actress in the world, but she's got a great voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 10, 2022 6:10 PM

I think the original production of Gypsy was shut down for a few days because Ethel burst a blood vessel in her throat. No way would Ethel permit an understudy.

And we all know the Call Me Madam story where Ethel told Stritch, “Go to New Haven and sing the fucking song.” Stritch knew she could collect two paychecks because The Merm never missed.

Mary Martin broke her arm rehearsing Peter Pan but still did The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 160August 10, 2022 6:21 PM

Taron Egerton left Cock in London just this year for Unknown Reasons.

by Anonymousreply 161August 10, 2022 6:21 PM

Ethel burst a blood vessel and Jane Romano went on. She did well, it went to her head and she ask for a raise. It was denied and she left the show. Poor Jane died relatively young. Ethel writes about it in her book.

by Anonymousreply 162August 10, 2022 6:24 PM

Vanessa Redgrave dropped out of MFL in London. First Covid and, after that, I’m guessing a slow recovery from Covid at her age. God bless her.

by Anonymousreply 163August 10, 2022 6:27 PM

Mitzi Green was the second major Rose Hovick, right? There's some of her TV work on YouTube. She's quite likeable in a way many period performers aren't (cough-Betty Hutton-cough).

by Anonymousreply 164August 10, 2022 6:29 PM

They should get Linda Thorson.

by Anonymousreply 165August 10, 2022 6:29 PM

[quote]I guess you're one of those dreaded hall monitors

Where, oh where are these dreaded halls of the Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 166August 10, 2022 6:35 PM

Just follow the smell of Ben-Gay, cheap gin, and menthol cigarettes, R166.

by Anonymousreply 167August 10, 2022 6:37 PM

They should get Linda Thorson for what?

by Anonymousreply 168August 10, 2022 6:51 PM

How thrilling to hear that OKLAHOMA finale at r157 sung full out with gusto like R&H intended it. I'd kill for a major revival of it in a traditional staging just to obliterate that last horrid revival out of my mid and heart forever. Who was the other guy on stage with Julian Ovenden? Powerful sexy voice!

Also, why all the constant DL hate for Kim Kriswell? What's that all about?

by Anonymousreply 169August 10, 2022 6:56 PM

I will be forever beholden to ryhog @ ATC for constantly holding that pompous ignoramus NewtonUK (aka producer Martin Platt) to the fire for all his idiotic posts and opinions.

by Anonymousreply 170August 10, 2022 6:58 PM

No motherfucker R152. It is literally in the guidelines of this website that you do not bring bullshit from other forums here. People have been redtagged and banned for less. You have been told REPEATEDLY to knock it the fuck off.

So shut your fucking trap and galavant off to your other little website THAT NO ONE HERE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT.

You stupid fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 171August 10, 2022 7:01 PM

R169, that's Rod Gilfrey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 10, 2022 7:05 PM

Should be Gilfry.

by Anonymousreply 173August 10, 2022 7:08 PM

[Quote] They should get Linda Thorson for what?

MFL. Thorson has a shock of white hair. Plus, she'd be following Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg into a production of MFL.

by Anonymousreply 174August 10, 2022 7:08 PM

24 likes in 8 minutes?!

by Anonymousreply 175August 10, 2022 7:09 PM

R171 CHANGE YOUR FUCKING BLOODY FUCKING TAMPON, YOU LUNATIC CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 176August 10, 2022 7:10 PM

[Quote] Also, why all the constant DL hate for Kim Kriswell? What's that all about?

She auditioned for Sondheim and when told that revisal of "Merrily" was on the way, she remarked that show certainly needed it.

by Anonymousreply 177August 10, 2022 7:11 PM

*a revisal

by Anonymousreply 178August 10, 2022 7:11 PM

Sondheim rang her agent to complain. And her agent rang DL, or faxed DL. I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 179August 10, 2022 7:12 PM

Thank you, R171. You're completely correct.

And others should feel free to F&F R152, the Uber Hall Monitor who accuses others of hall monitoring. I just did, and it felt good.

Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 180August 10, 2022 7:20 PM

Girls! Girls!

You're all cunts!

by Anonymousreply 181August 10, 2022 7:27 PM

I would have thought Ms Kriswell's actions would have gained her great love and admiration here on DL, where we always tell it like it is.

by Anonymousreply 182August 10, 2022 7:31 PM

Sondheim was extremely thin skinned. I know of several men who had mail correspondences with Steve when they were young, exchanging their thoughts and ideas about musical theatre and Broadway, but as soon as they began to really let loose with their opinions, especially about his work, he would cut them off.

by Anonymousreply 183August 10, 2022 7:35 PM

I know of several men who had frequent meetings with him, at his home, to discuss his work and other subjects. He was generally very open to it unless someone was inexcusably rude.

by Anonymousreply 184August 10, 2022 7:45 PM

Just men?

by Anonymousreply 185August 10, 2022 7:47 PM

[Quote] I would have thought Ms Kriswell's actions would have gained her great love and admiration here on DL, where we always tell it like it is.

I think Criswell is perceived as an honorary Brit. And we know how the DL Theatre Gossip Thread feels about Brits...

by Anonymousreply 186August 10, 2022 7:55 PM

[Quote] Just men?

Funny that.

by Anonymousreply 187August 10, 2022 7:55 PM

Perhaps someone might start a separate chat related to ATC bitching? Or would Muriel not like that?

by Anonymousreply 188August 10, 2022 8:12 PM

Separating threads out is a good way to get the entire umbrella removed by Muriel.

by Anonymousreply 189August 10, 2022 8:13 PM

I don’t think it’s correct that Taron Egerton left cock

by Anonymousreply 190August 10, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote]How thrilling to hear that OKLAHOMA finale at [R157] sung full out with gusto like R&H intended it.

Modern composers have forgotten what melody is.

by Anonymousreply 191August 10, 2022 8:44 PM

Taron did withdraw.

by Anonymousreply 192August 10, 2022 8:45 PM

[quote]Taron did withdraw.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 193August 10, 2022 8:47 PM

[quote]I'd kill for a major revival of it in a traditional staging just to obliterate that last horrid revival out of my mid and heart forever.

Surely you can't mean " Wokelahoma"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 10, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote] A seemingly much-beloved poster here (c-list actor)

Beloved?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 10, 2022 8:54 PM

Most of us have never even seen "Bones: Doggie Investigators" or whatever it was called.

by Anonymousreply 196August 10, 2022 8:59 PM

If only they didn't pronounce it "OKLAHOMER".

by Anonymousreply 197August 10, 2022 9:19 PM

All the chorus boys used to call it Oklahomo.

by Anonymousreply 198August 10, 2022 9:21 PM

How hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 199August 10, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote]How thrilling to hear that OKLAHOMA finale at [R157] sung full out with gusto like R&H intended it

Here's the whole concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 10, 2022 9:30 PM

[quote]She auditioned for Sondheim and when told that revisal of "Merrily" was on the way, she remarked that show certainly needed it.

That's a well known story, and I wonder what her tone of voice was in delivering her comment. Because it's true that MERRILY certainly needed a revisal, and the fact that Sondheim was in the midst of preparing one means that Criswell was only agreeing with him. But if she made her comment with a nasty tone, then of course we can understand why Sondheim would have reacted badly. There's also the fact that, presumably, she and Sondheim weren't the only ones in the room when she said what she said.

But also, on a related note and in regard to R183 and R184, Sondheim at least once came right out and basically stated that the creations of a living, working artist should not be criticized -- or, rather, that the artist himself or herself should not be subjected to such criticism, even though of course it's going to happen anyway. Jason Robert Brown's story of his falling out with Sondheim bears this out, although Sondheim's reaction in that case might be understandable because the show in question was in the midst of being born at the time. Anyway, it really does seem as if Sondheim felt that the only criticism of his work should come from himself, and he did in fact make many critical comments about his own work over the years.

by Anonymousreply 201August 10, 2022 9:36 PM

ATC can have c-list actor.

No one here cares. Fuck off, already.

by Anonymousreply 202August 10, 2022 9:53 PM

Did anyone see Wokelahoma in London? I love Liza Salovey but can’t totally see her as Aunt Eller.

by Anonymousreply 203August 10, 2022 9:54 PM

[quote]I don’t think it’s correct that Taron Egerton left cock

Though on occasion, cock leaves him.

by Anonymousreply 204August 10, 2022 9:57 PM

I saw it at the Young Vic, R203. I loved it. It was beautifully sung and played; the ending was a real gut punch. When they reprised the title song at the end, they performed it the same as they did earlier only by then they all seemed like savages. It was really good.

by Anonymousreply 205August 10, 2022 9:59 PM

Also, I used to know Kim Criswell. She's a total sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 206August 10, 2022 10:00 PM

Kim Criswell was interviewed by Skip E. Lowe. It's on the YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 207August 10, 2022 10:04 PM

Alas! THE UNOFFICIAL BRIDGERTON MUSICAL may be unofficially dead.

What streaming series shall they rip off next?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 10, 2022 10:09 PM

[quote]some of us will discuss whatever we choose to.

Did someone call me?

by Anonymousreply 209August 10, 2022 10:17 PM

Yes r209. The sun comes up, I think about you.

by Anonymousreply 210August 10, 2022 10:35 PM

Oklahomo! was gay porn video from the 90s. It was about cowboy Curly and rancher Jud both vying to take farmhand Laurie to the "box" social. Instead of musical numbers, it had sex scenes. I still have the VHS tape in the back of a closet somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 10, 2022 10:36 PM

Would someone share the details of Jason Robert Brown's falling out with Sondheim? I'm not familiar with that story.

The Daniel Fish OKLAHOMA! was superb. Very interesting and innovative. And the performances were terrific.

by Anonymousreply 212August 10, 2022 10:48 PM

You even liked the dream ballet, R212?

by Anonymousreply 213August 10, 2022 10:50 PM

I loved Daniel Fish's "Oklahoma!", all but the dream ballet which completely bewildered me.

by Anonymousreply 214August 10, 2022 10:52 PM

R119, you left out The Gilded Age. Benanti is a recurring regular in Season 2 which finishes shooting in November.

by Anonymousreply 215August 10, 2022 10:58 PM

"The Daniel Fish OKLAHOMA! was superb. Very interesting and innovative. And the performances were terrific."

Aww, prairie shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 10, 2022 11:08 PM

How come Harry Groener isn’t more well known? He had an interesting Broadway career but is largely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 217August 10, 2022 11:15 PM

I remember him from Buffy. He was very good in that role. Not a leading man type, I would think.

by Anonymousreply 218August 10, 2022 11:17 PM

R216, give R212 a break. He's woke, as is Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 219August 10, 2022 11:19 PM

The people in this thread who actually LIKED the reprehensible, despicable Daniel Fish production of OKLAHOMA! are a pox on us all, because their approval might spur more such productions.

And that includes you, R212. I would have been happy to detail JRB's falling out with Sondheim for you if you hadn't described Fish's OKLAHOMA! as "superb," "interesting," and "innovative," but since you did, I don't consider it worth my time to do so.

by Anonymousreply 220August 10, 2022 11:35 PM

[quote]The people in this thread who actually LIKED the reprehensible, despicable Daniel Fish production of OKLAHOMA! are a pox on us all, because their approval might spur more such productions.

Cry harder, princess.

by Anonymousreply 221August 10, 2022 11:38 PM

[r220] thank you Paul Ford for entering the chat. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 222August 10, 2022 11:38 PM

"If I whine loudly enough only ultra-Orthodox productions of classic Broadway musicals will be allowed!"

Good luck with that, caftan-wearing 400-pound showtune queen.

by Anonymousreply 223August 10, 2022 11:46 PM

here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 10, 2022 11:58 PM

[quote]Taron did withdraw.

I think when referring to cock, the correct expression is "pulled out."

by Anonymousreply 225August 11, 2022 12:05 AM

Thank you, R224.

And FUCK YOU, R220.

by Anonymousreply 226August 11, 2022 12:12 AM

To be fair, the Dream Ballet in Oklahoma has always been a slog to get through. It's far too long and simply tells us what we already know, but in dance form. Considering this and Show Boat were the first real classic American musicals, it's understandable that they wouldn't have it down to an exact science yet. I think the same about the brilliant, but unnecessary Broadway Rhythm section in Singin' in the Rain. It's an excellent sequence and very entertaining, but it stops all forward momentum of the story.

by Anonymousreply 227August 11, 2022 12:22 AM

Now we have to hear from Ricky Ian Gordon about *his* disaster with Sondheim, which was about the same work.

A friend of mine told me that both Sondheim and Gordon recounted the grisly details to him, and that each of them told exactly the same story.

So we KNOW THAT IT HAPPENED!

by Anonymousreply 228August 11, 2022 12:33 AM

Would you care to fill us in, r228?

by Anonymousreply 229August 11, 2022 1:13 AM

Apparently according to her Twitter, Kim Criswell never got the memo to never speak ill of the dead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230August 11, 2022 1:16 AM

Steven Sater, who has somehow built a TikTok following by constantly posting videos of Lea Michele, shared an old behind the scenes video of the Spring Awakening rehearsal today where Jonathan Groff can’t even get through the song because he’s crying so hard.

It’s so embarrassing that I can’t look away. Can anyone here who has met Groff confirm that he’s really this big of a fucking crybaby in real life? He really comes across as deeply unwell. I hope he’s in therapy at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 11, 2022 1:27 AM

Wasn't the Sondheim/Gordon flap over MERRILY? That they were getting along famously until Gordon suggested he had ideas on how to "fix" the show? After that, it was bye-bye, Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 232August 11, 2022 1:29 AM

The man lived on my street, let me tell.

STOP! I'll tell:

Ricky and Steve were on SS's back porch, overlooking that gigantic back yard the entire block shares. A pause.

Ricky then asks, "So tell me, what went wrong with Merrily We Roll Along?

Thus implying that there was something wrong with it, Ricky broke a cardinal SS rule, somewhat related to the one that Jason Parade broke: You don't volunteer criticism of a Sondheim show.

There were a few more words, but soon enough SS ordered Ricky out of his house. "And never darken my towels again!"

by Anonymousreply 233August 11, 2022 1:35 AM

Back porch? Backyard?

by Anonymousreply 234August 11, 2022 1:41 AM

Ignore the hall monitors, r170, wretched bunch that they be.

by Anonymousreply 235August 11, 2022 1:42 AM

Phuck you, r171.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236August 11, 2022 1:44 AM

I thought it was choreographer Ron field who walked into rehearsal one morning during previews saying he'd figured out how to fix Merrily We Roll Along. He instantly became persona non grata to Prince and Sondheim, who thought things were fine. Prince fired him and replaced him with Larry Fuller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237August 11, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote]Jonathan Groff…crying so hard.

Faggot!

by Anonymousreply 238August 11, 2022 1:54 AM

I assume he was a good Buddy as he could share the leading man status and he could dance it, r218. They gave him a chance to shine in this episode of Dear John.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239August 11, 2022 2:04 AM

[quote] Sondheim was extremely thin skinned. I know of several men who had mail correspondences with Steve when they were young, exchanging their thoughts and ideas about musical theatre and Broadway, but as soon as they began to really let loose with their opinions, especially about his work, he would cut them off.

Calling bullshit. How does one cut someone off via mail correspondence?

by Anonymousreply 240August 11, 2022 2:11 AM

a great guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 11, 2022 2:16 AM

r240 - how does one cut someone off via mail correspondence?

Gee, I dunno. I guess one writes the other one a nasty letter telling them off and telling them not to reply. You know, like it was back in the old days.

Uh, how old are you?

by Anonymousreply 242August 11, 2022 2:38 AM

Oklahomo was also a very funny play from the late 90s by a guy named Justin Tanner who also wrote the wonderful play "Pot Mom" which starred Laurie Metcalf, and was later stolen outright by Jenji Kohan for the show Weeds.

by Anonymousreply 243August 11, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote]How come Harry Groener isn’t more well known? He had an interesting Broadway career but is largely forgotten.

I think he did what he wanted, r217. I did 2 of his earlier Broadway shows and he was just a joy to work with. So was Jeffrey DeMunn

[quote]So shut your fucking trap and galavant off to your other little website THAT NO ONE HERE GIVES A FUCK ABOUT.

Maybe switch to decaf?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 11, 2022 2:49 AM

A trusted friend who saw the 2002 Reprise! FOLLIES reported that the leading men (Mr. Groener and Bob Gunton) were near-ideal but the leading ladies (Patty Duke and Vikki Carr) were far from it.

by Anonymousreply 245August 11, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote][R220] thank you Paul Ford for entering the chat.

Ah, that was hilarious. As if Paul Ford is the only person earth who loathed the Fish OKLAHOMA! Actually, we are legion.

[quote]And FUCK YOU, [R220].

Same to you, putz. Seriously , anyone who didn't abhor that Fish fry version of OKLAHOMA! is a taste-free fool with no knowledge or appreciation of musical theater history. And NO, in highly unusual cases like that abomination, it is NOT a matter of opinion, because what was presented was without question a desecration of what the creators of the show intended.

by Anonymousreply 246August 11, 2022 4:07 AM

I just watched with real Paul Ford in "Never Too Late" with Maureen O'Sullivan, a too broad Jim Hutton and DL kinda fave Connie Stevens. And I looked it up on IBDB and it ran 1,007 performances on Broadway! The 2nd Paul Ford doesn't have that kind of record.

by Anonymousreply 247August 11, 2022 6:45 AM

Wasn’t “Wokelahoma” the last R & H project that Ted Chapin approved and guided before his retirement? Did he ever have to deal with the fallout? Surely he must have known how many people hated it and felt like it was completely at odds with what R & H wrote?

by Anonymousreply 248August 11, 2022 8:16 AM

Harry Groener was great in Crazy For You.

What the hell is Glenn Close wearing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 11, 2022 10:57 AM

Gee, r246, what a ore you are.

by Anonymousreply 250August 11, 2022 12:12 PM

How dare you call him an ore!

by Anonymousreply 251August 11, 2022 12:17 PM

Does nobody care about the above post that Kim Criswell tweeted that she didn’t think Stephen Sondheim was in heaven? That seemed a bit harsh even if he banned her from his work.

I don’t think Patti at the height of Arthur Laurents feud would have been like “Well he’s clearly in hell”

by Anonymousreply 252August 11, 2022 1:27 PM

Sondheim isn’t in heaven. Because there is no heaven.

So nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 253August 11, 2022 1:34 PM

Patti didn't have to, r252. It was the general consensus...

by Anonymousreply 254August 11, 2022 1:35 PM

It's a pretty shitty comment, r252. Probably says more about Criswell than it does about Sondheim

by Anonymousreply 255August 11, 2022 1:39 PM

Sondheim doesn't have to be in heaven. He is already one of the immortals, and will be as long as gays exist to carry on his legend. (And all the legends about him that may or may not be true, too.)

As a sidebar, have Jews developed a heaven now? When I read the Bible heaven and hell didn't seem to be part of the Old Testament deal, but who knows what these crazy kids do nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 256August 11, 2022 1:42 PM

Mr. Sondheim is quite tasty.

by Anonymousreply 257August 11, 2022 1:43 PM

Kim Criswell, many years ago, did a concert performance of PARDON MY ENGLISH in Washington DC, doing a dead on imitation of Lyda Roberti. Just for that, she is forgiven everything.

by Anonymousreply 258August 11, 2022 1:54 PM

I'm a mineral myself.

by Anonymousreply 259August 11, 2022 1:57 PM

The hysteria on this board about the Daniel Fish OKLAHOMA! is crazier than anything put onstage in that production, as is the relentless pearl-clutching about Rodgers & Hammerstein's "intentions." That attitude is the death of forward motion in the arts.

Love it or hate it, this production ran nearly as long as the Trevor Nunn revival that played upstairs at the Gershwin 20 years ago -- and longer than the even more faithful production at the Palace in 1979-80. It picked up a bunch of good reviews and a couple of Tonys. It's still touring, but once that tour's over, it will be a thing of the past -- part of OKLAHOMA!'s long and storied history, and proof that the piece is resilient enough to absorb many interpretations.

I for one went to it with a raised eyebrow or 2 and was pleasantly surprised by how responsive the material was to Fish's approach. I didn't buy everything (the notorious Dream Ballet in particular struck me as misguided), but I loved the new arrangements (full of touches that paid homage to RRB's originals) and found much food for thought throughout.

by Anonymousreply 260August 11, 2022 2:10 PM

Yeah, but your opinion is shit.

by Anonymousreply 261August 11, 2022 2:17 PM

I wonder how many posters here are aware of how much they sound like that mod of the Facebook group, just about different topics

by Anonymousreply 262August 11, 2022 2:30 PM

If Sondheim killed Criswell's career in New York, I don't blame her for writing that.

She played The Witch in a regional UK production of Into The Woods. She also did Follies In Concert, subbing for Elaine Stritch, and a UK birthday tribute or two to Sondheim. She clearly wasn't banned outright, though she should have been included in the BBC Proms Sondheim Tribute over, say, Caroline O'Connor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263August 11, 2022 2:57 PM

I just noticed that Kim's "Ladies Who Lunch" is no longer on YouTube. I think she did it for a BBC radio concert of "Company" with Julian Ovenden.

by Anonymousreply 264August 11, 2022 2:58 PM

What does it matter? He's DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 265August 11, 2022 2:58 PM

Which version of Oklahoma did they serve cornbread to the audience? Was chili also served?

by Anonymousreply 266August 11, 2022 3:55 PM

Well, aren't we having a gay old time beating these dead horses.

by Anonymousreply 267August 11, 2022 3:56 PM

Time for a palate cleanser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268August 11, 2022 4:00 PM

It IS tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 269August 11, 2022 4:02 PM

*This* is a palate cleanser, r268...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270August 11, 2022 4:06 PM

Ok - I hope no one minds if I ask again - Why was Pat Carroll I replaced by Harriet Harris in Thoroughly Modern Millie?

by Anonymousreply 271August 11, 2022 4:15 PM

Carroll was not well enough to continue.

by Anonymousreply 272August 11, 2022 4:19 PM

I remember in Xanadu how they were always trying to cover Olivia's ankles.

by Anonymousreply 273August 11, 2022 4:23 PM

"Forward motion" is a jackass's euphemism for wrecking a show that's 75 years old by miscasting all the principals and giving the second woman lead to a talentless goblin who screams instead of sings but can't be criticized because it's in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 274August 11, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote] To be fair, the Dream Ballet in Oklahoma has always been a slog to get through.

R227, of course this isn't true. It was revolutionary at the time, and started the craze for dream ballets throughout the 50s and 60s.

[quote] It's far too long and simply tells us what we already know, but in dance form.

Done right, it expands on what we know by offering deeper psychological truths, which was novel at the time. Now that human psychological is more common knowledge, such a dream sequence could feel redundant to us today.

by Anonymousreply 275August 11, 2022 4:27 PM

I never met a dream ballet I couldn't sleep through.

by Anonymousreply 276August 11, 2022 4:29 PM

DeuxMoi posted another blind item this afternoon about Groff and Mendez being confirmed for the NYTW Merrily production.

Why hasn’t NYTW made an announcement yet? Tickets for fall shows would usually go on sale around this time…

by Anonymousreply 277August 11, 2022 4:37 PM

"human psychology"

by Anonymousreply 278August 11, 2022 4:41 PM

Am I the only one ho hum about Mendez as Mary? I get they want a POC but… surely she wasn’t the first choice?

by Anonymousreply 279August 11, 2022 4:47 PM

Lindsay Mendez is not terribly talented. She won a fat girl Tony.

by Anonymousreply 280August 11, 2022 4:48 PM

Lindsay Mendez looks too old alongside Radcliffe and Groff.

by Anonymousreply 281August 11, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote]She won a fat girl Tony.

Well Mary is supposed to be a fat girl.

by Anonymousreply 282August 11, 2022 4:55 PM

She was playing Carrie Piperidge in "Carousel".

by Anonymousreply 283August 11, 2022 4:58 PM

R&H originally told DeMille that they wanted something like a circus dream to end Act I. But she had read the script and seen some early rehearsals and realized the show was in part about a young woman's sexual awakening. She went to work in the basement with the dancers while music and book rehearsals continued upstairs in the theater they were using. Someone finally went to Rodgers told him he and Oscar needed to check on Agnes in the basement. They were flummoxed by what they saw, but intrigued, and decided to let her continue what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 284August 11, 2022 4:59 PM

R107 that's a pretty good version of The Saga of Jenny by Georgia Brown, but it's not complete (she leaves out the "Argentine" and "memoirs" sections) and she has a major lyric screw-up. It should be "Jenny and her saga / Prove that you are gaga / If you don't keep sitting on the fence." Brown sings "If you just keep sitting on the fence." That's the opposite of what Ira Gershwin meant with his lyric. I still haven't heard a perfect and complete version of this song. And, yes, I know that Maria Friedman's version is complete, but I find her acting choices a bit overdone and cutesy.

by Anonymousreply 285August 11, 2022 5:07 PM

I watch this dream ballet and an hour later I want to watch it again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286August 11, 2022 5:12 PM

Kim Criswell has a good version of "The Sage of Jenny."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287August 11, 2022 5:26 PM

I prefer the Parsley of Jenny.

by Anonymousreply 288August 11, 2022 5:27 PM

Ankles aside, my God is Olivia Newton-John gorgeous in that Xanadu clip.

by Anonymousreply 289August 11, 2022 5:27 PM

I hoped Ruthie Henshall's version would be good but she stomps around like a teenager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290August 11, 2022 5:28 PM

I enjoy Lynn Redgrave's sadly truncated version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 11, 2022 5:28 PM

R285, yes it is incomplete. But I love the little bitchy spoken part at the end. But she sometimes goofed.

I also like her totally 1960s version of Alabama song. If I had been producing Mad Men, I would have found a scene to put it into.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 11, 2022 5:31 PM

The version where chili and cornbread were served at intermission. You could also bid on sexual favors from the cast.

by Anonymousreply 293August 11, 2022 5:45 PM

I bet the theater was rank after all those audiences ate chili and farted through Act 2.

by Anonymousreply 294August 11, 2022 5:51 PM

Did someone change Ali Stroker's diaper after she ate the chili?

by Anonymousreply 295August 11, 2022 5:58 PM

I prefer Lettice and lovage, r288.

by Anonymousreply 296August 11, 2022 6:05 PM

Bock when the Tonys recognized that there were plays other than musicals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297August 11, 2022 6:09 PM

[quote]Ankles aside

It's Ankles aweigh, r289. And regarding Jenny, I'll post it...don't throw stones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 11, 2022 6:10 PM

r294 has no idea how the digestive system works, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 299August 11, 2022 7:15 PM

[quote] Love it or hate it, this production ran nearly as long as the Trevor Nunn revival that played upstairs at the Gershwin 20 years ago

Nominee for stupidest comment ever? Circle in the Square seats approx 675. The Gershwin seats 2000.

by Anonymousreply 300August 11, 2022 8:57 PM

What's taking The Music Box?

by Anonymousreply 301August 11, 2022 9:09 PM

What theater was Wheezer doing a residency, and wtf is a "Wheezer"?

by Anonymousreply 302August 11, 2022 9:10 PM

I wish I could tell you, R302, but I'm breaking down. Down, down, dowwwwwnnnnnnnnnn.........

by Anonymousreply 303August 11, 2022 9:13 PM

Uh oh

I see Whizzer going down

by Anonymousreply 304August 11, 2022 9:22 PM

"Circle in the Square seats approx 675. The Gershwin seats 2000.

Not to mention that the 1979-80 revival had a cast of 40 + , the most recent about 17. No comparison in terms of numbers, either in dollars or performances.

by Anonymousreply 305August 11, 2022 9:49 PM

What's Julian Ovenden up to these days?

by Anonymousreply 306August 11, 2022 9:54 PM

Up my arse r306

by Anonymousreply 307August 11, 2022 9:55 PM

Did any of you see him in My Night With Reg?

by Anonymousreply 308August 11, 2022 10:00 PM

Yes, Julian went to the trouble of giving the gays what they wanted -full frontal showing off his big dick - and it’s been woefully under-reported on on DL.

by Anonymousreply 309August 11, 2022 10:34 PM

Was the show bootlegged?

by Anonymousreply 310August 11, 2022 10:35 PM

You rang, r275?

by Anonymousreply 311August 11, 2022 10:38 PM

Can't abide Criswell in any register she chooses to sing in. Her belt sounds squeezed and modern for all the vintage material and her acting is vacant. She also lacks a feeling for music (and particularly rhythm) in general, tending to sing everything 'just so' as if she's only a few rehearsals in and hasn't quite found her own stamp on the material yet but is just stabbing at it with generalities and delivering the score as written. There's no question she makes a sound, but it doesn't really ever engage or challenge the audience or dare it to look away.

At the end of this clip, singing live, is a good belty Jenny with a good arrangement. Sothern may be a tad heavy but you don't care as she's a great Liza. Some present day leading ladies could watch Sothern to see how to handle being a person of size playing the romantic lead built on a smaller frame. She's even better on the RCA studio recording of the show's songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312August 11, 2022 10:38 PM

Julian is currently touring in South Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 313August 11, 2022 10:43 PM

I saw Julian Ovenden in My Night with Reg and can confirm that, 10+ years later, the DL should still be talking about his nude scenes and those where he was wearing only white briefs.

by Anonymousreply 314August 11, 2022 10:45 PM

Ann is belting in that clip?

by Anonymousreply 315August 11, 2022 10:45 PM

Actually, that Ladies Who Lunch performance is still on YT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316August 11, 2022 10:48 PM

Ovenden singing "You're Just In Love."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317August 11, 2022 10:50 PM

Ann Sothern was a goddess, criminally underused by MGM.

Check her out on youtube singing:

I've Still Got My Health from Panama Hattie

The Last Time I Saw Paris from Lady Be Good

Where's That Rainbow from 'Til the Clouds Roll By

by Anonymousreply 318August 11, 2022 10:51 PM

Isn't Where's That Rainbow from Words and Music?

It's Rodgers-Hart song, and Till the Clouds Roll By is by Jerome Kern.

by Anonymousreply 319August 11, 2022 11:33 PM

That Ann Sothern "Lady in the Dark" is a really excellent tv version of the show, also with DL fave and recently departed Carleton Carpenter in the Danny Kaye role, probably the first major gay character in a classic Broadway musical.

Sothern is such an expressive singer in the performing "My Ship", and her "Saga of Jenny" is sexy and exciting. Plus, she's a terrific actress, perfectly cast, in a great role with many layers to it, which has been hard to cast over the years even satisfactorily.

by Anonymousreply 320August 11, 2022 11:53 PM

I love the Gershwin lyrics on Saga of Jenny.

In 27 languages, she couldn’t say no.

You can take that to mean she was just incompetent at learning or you can take it to mean she had a lot of sex. Or both!

by Anonymousreply 321August 12, 2022 12:11 AM

Yes, r321, yes you can.

by Anonymousreply 322August 12, 2022 12:13 AM

I dunno. She'll always be just Susie McNamara to me.

by Anonymousreply 323August 12, 2022 12:36 AM

Has anyone ever been to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival? I’d like to go but it looks like it would be a pain in the ass from an eating and sleeping standpoint.

by Anonymousreply 324August 12, 2022 12:37 AM

I've been a couple of times. If you book a lot of shows, it's hard not to eat crappy food. I think I saw six shows in one day, so I grabbed whatever I could, food wise.

by Anonymousreply 325August 12, 2022 12:40 AM

R325, did you book a hotel a long time in advance? Were tickets hard to get? Can you buy ahead of time or do you have to buy when you’re there?

This is exciting!

by Anonymousreply 326August 12, 2022 1:29 AM

[quote]The Last Time I Saw Paris from Lady Be Good

I never miss a Robert Young musical.

by Anonymousreply 327August 12, 2022 1:36 AM

Then you should catch the one Robert Young did opposite Jessie Matthews, "It's Love Again". It's quite good, too.

by Anonymousreply 328August 12, 2022 1:56 AM

[quote]Love it or hate it, this production ran nearly as long as the Trevor Nunn revival that played upstairs at the Gershwin 20 years ago

[quote]Nominee for stupidest comment ever? Circle in the Square seats approx 675. The Gershwin seats 2000.

Thank you. Amazing, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 329August 12, 2022 2:42 AM

r327, actually Robert Young's duet with Ann Sothern of the title song "Lady Be Good" is one of that film's highlights, showing in a cute tongue-in-cheek manner how the two composers they play come up with the song.

by Anonymousreply 330August 12, 2022 2:54 AM

I didn't see the original comment to which R329 is responding -- must be some self-important jerk whom I hid.

In any case, I'm well aware of the different sizes of the theaters in question. My point was simply that its run was not that different *in length* from those of the 2 Broadway revivals before it. In other words, the Fish production had a respectable run.

What's depressing to me is how many people here act as if they know R&H's "intentions." You don't, and I don't. Would they have expected slavish fidelity to every note and every syllable? Prove it -- but be sure to acknowledge that Hammerstein rewrote SHOW BOAT and Rodgers A CONNECTICUT YANKEE. Would they have rejected new interpretations of their work? Prove it -- but remember that Rodgers sometimes requested new orchestrations when his old shows were revived.

Shakespeare and Chekhov and Mozart and Verdi's genius is such that their works can be revived in productions radically unlike anything they could have conceived. It doesn't make those productions great automatically, but the fact that many of those productions have spoken to audiences and shed new light on their texts more than suggests that the effort is worth making.

Conversely, meticulous recreation of these works as originally presented sometimes works (and is thrilling when it does) but just as often makes the works themselves museum pieces lacking the most critical element of the original conception -- call it vitality, originality, freshness.

by Anonymousreply 331August 12, 2022 3:09 AM

All that's missing from your post, Ortrud, is a lectern.

by Anonymousreply 332August 12, 2022 3:47 AM

So is Mr. Ovenden in the Reichard/Bart XXL size range?

by Anonymousreply 333August 12, 2022 4:16 AM

Oddest Bway news item of the day: the retooled Real Housewives of New York will include Orfeh, the actress married to DL fave, Andy Karl.

So that's happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334August 12, 2022 4:19 AM

Will Andy Randells join RHONY?

by Anonymousreply 335August 12, 2022 5:07 AM

I just watched the first season of American Horror Stories, the one-episode storyline version of the show. Gavin Creel guested in the first story. Now I can see why he doesn't do much television or film. He does not photograph well. His head looks very oddly shaped on camera and he has weird proportions. I also think he's getting unwashed again. He had that look of one who's only bathing sporadically.

by Anonymousreply 336August 12, 2022 5:21 AM

R324,

I went to the Edinburgh Festival in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Skipped in 2019 cause one of my shows was in rehearsals here in the states, and I still regret missing it, cause we all know what happened in 2020. The festival was a shadow of itself last year, and I imagine it is experiencing growing pains this year.

It's the largest arts festival in the world, and it is an exhausting but brilliant experience. It's downright magical, really. Nothing in the states compares to it whatsoever.

You can attend three amazing festivals simultaneously if you time it right: the Edinburgh Fringe, the Edinburgh International Festival and the Edinburgh Book Festival. The more you plan, the better, though you also have to leave open spots for scheduling as you start hearing great things about other shows from fellow festivalgoers.

Of course there's lots of crap with the great, but the range of options is so immense that much of the fun is in discovering the hidden treasures. Edinburgh never fails to inspire me with its explosion of talent and ideas.

Right now I'm even feeling a bit heartsick that I'm not there now.

Go. You won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 337August 12, 2022 5:38 AM

[quote]Oddest Bway news item of the day: the retooled Real Housewives of New York will include Orfeh, the actress married to DL fave, Andy Karl.

Anyone whose professional name is Orfeh was destined to end up on a Real Housewives show eventually.

by Anonymousreply 338August 12, 2022 7:20 AM

[quote]She won a fat girl Tony.

They give out Tonys for that?

by Anonymousreply 339August 12, 2022 7:22 AM

Before this "Orfeh" person becomes really, really 'famous' and botoxed and insufferable by joining Andy Cohen's cattlecar of "stars" in a Real Housewives" series, you can see her actually perform with husband (and future cuckhold - don't all the men from the programs seem flaccid and useless?) Andy Karl in Pittsfield, MA! They're performing a cabaret-type show this month

by Anonymousreply 340August 12, 2022 10:19 AM

Lindsey Mendez as Mary? Yikes, what a poor casting choice.

by Anonymousreply 341August 12, 2022 10:37 AM

alas, r331

[quote] some self-important jerk

Four long-winded paragraphs later.....

by Anonymousreply 342August 12, 2022 11:12 AM

Orfeh barrels through Bee Gees song. She's plastic enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 12, 2022 11:23 AM

Stephanie J Block and hubby will be the new Bakers Wife and Baker. Patina Miller staying on Fri-Sun with Montego Glover as the Witch Tues-Thurs.

by Anonymousreply 344August 12, 2022 11:35 AM

at last we'll get to see Mr & Mrs Baker actually MAKE that damn baby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345August 12, 2022 12:06 PM

So is it OrFUH or OrFAY?

by Anonymousreply 346August 12, 2022 12:06 PM

Rhymes with "meh" r346.

by Anonymousreply 347August 12, 2022 12:12 PM

This does NOT look like Miranda and why is Andy dressed as a Catholic schoolgirl?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348August 12, 2022 12:35 PM

More importantly: Why does Miranda look like a prison matron?

by Anonymousreply 349August 12, 2022 12:38 PM

[r344] I LOVE theatre that pats itself on the back for being “woke” and yet thinks that an audience won’t notice or care that two performers that are not in the same ballpark talent wise are sharing a role…but that it’s totally fine because they have the same skin color. Isn’t that the definition of racism to think that just because two women are black they can share a role and no one will care even though one of the actresses is MUCH more talented than the other?

Isn’t this the same old racist trope of “all black people look the same?”

It’s embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 350August 12, 2022 12:39 PM

is she related to Fifi D'Orfeh?

by Anonymousreply 351August 12, 2022 12:41 PM

Krysta Rodriguez as Cinderella. I didn't know she was that kind of soprano

Andy Karl as Wolf & Prince for a week in Sept 6–15

Ann Harada back as Jack's mom

by Anonymousreply 352August 12, 2022 12:53 PM

R350, more a result of producers saying, " OMG, we need to hire black people,so we aren't called racist. Quick, see who's available." The result of wokeism.

by Anonymousreply 353August 12, 2022 12:58 PM

Why are they even accommodating Patina Miller like that? It's not like she's a star

by Anonymousreply 354August 12, 2022 1:01 PM

I don't get why a huge hit like this ITW revival can't seem to get any actors, even those who aren't big names, to stay put for more than a month or two. Does no one want to do Broadway any more?

by Anonymousreply 355August 12, 2022 1:01 PM

R353 what’s worse now is that they’re now being racist just in a different way. Now that Headley and Miller are the witch in this production they will get flamed if they hire a white witch replacement. Why not keep it fluid and just hire whoever is best and available? Then a new Cinderella could be black. Or a new Baker. Plus they’re [italic] fairy tales.

by Anonymousreply 356August 12, 2022 1:05 PM

I get what you’re saying. I’m a Jewish yenta comic type, ala Sophie Tucker. Who do they get for my Tuesday night replacement? The most boring white woman who Sondheim was mad at because she scooped her notes in his musical.

by Anonymousreply 357August 12, 2022 1:06 PM

[Quote] I don't get why a huge hit like this ITW revival can't seem to get any actors, even those who aren't big names, to stay put for more than a month or two. Does no one want to do Broadway any more?

While more expensive (costumes & rehearsals) this is smarter. These “stars” Have minimal fan bases who can excite some fangurls (like Jordan) for a week or two but that’s all. Then get another minor BraodwayCon “celebrity”

by Anonymousreply 358August 12, 2022 1:08 PM

[quote]Plus they’re fairy tales.

And how many fairies have they hired? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 359August 12, 2022 1:08 PM

ITW is using the Chicago casting model. Basically anyone can come in and do the show. I’m surprised some of you haven’t played Velma, Roxie or Mama yet. Just go to the Weissler office and sign up for your weeks on the yellow legal pad in the hallway.

by Anonymousreply 360August 12, 2022 1:15 PM

Not really r360. Chicago gets mostly big non-Broadway celebrities, and rarely for less than 3 or 4 months. These folks are really MINOR Broadway names doing 2-4 weeks

by Anonymousreply 361August 12, 2022 1:20 PM

[quote] Chicago gets mostly big non-Broadway celebrities,*

*with [italic] NO [/italic] discernible talent

ITW is getting [italic] talented [/italic] people no one beyond Broadway has ever heard of

by Anonymousreply 362August 12, 2022 1:21 PM

[quote]I'm well aware of the different sizes of the theaters in question. My point was simply that its run was not that different *in length* from those of the 2 Broadway revivals before it. In other words, the Fish production had a respectable run.

You may be "well aware" of the different sizes of the theaters, but somehow, inexplicably, you don't understand why there is little basis for comparison between a show having a one-year run in a theater that seats fewer than 700 people and a one-year run in a theater that seats nearly 2000.

[quote]What's depressing to me is how many people here act as if they know R&H's "intentions." You don't, and I don't. Would they have expected slavish fidelity to every note and every syllable? Prove it.

I'm sorry you're depressed, but the proof is that, throughout their careers, Rodgers and Hammerstein -- especially Hammerstein -- made many statements of what they were trying to achieve in their shows, and what they said they were trying to achieve in OKLAHOMA! was pretty much the opposite of what came across in the Fish desecration. Also, it's ridiculous of you to compare Rodgers sometimes requesting new orchestrations for his shows with a wholesale reinterpretation of a show that worked against the original theme and concept at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 363August 12, 2022 1:22 PM

R361, I guess when you say big you mean the size of their tits? Because that’s the only thing big about Pamela Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 364August 12, 2022 1:27 PM

Patina and Montego... Which is the very talented one?

by Anonymousreply 365August 12, 2022 1:36 PM

I'm no fan of Pamela Anderson--really--but word-of-mouth was that she did pretty well in CHICAGO, nailing the humor and the musical numbers. She was also a big hit at the box office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366August 12, 2022 1:38 PM

Oh noes.

Weezer is NOT happening on Bway due to low sales.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367August 12, 2022 1:40 PM

[quote]Weezer is NOT happening on Bway due to low sales.

Well, maybe we could get "Weezy-The Musical" instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368August 12, 2022 1:48 PM

R368. Paging Sharon D. Clarke!

by Anonymousreply 369August 12, 2022 1:56 PM

From the look of the ITW revival costumes I've seen, it doesn't look like they'll be spending much money or effort in replacing them each time a new actor goes into the show.

by Anonymousreply 370August 12, 2022 1:58 PM

I would be quite happy to watch Andy Karl as the Wolf/Prince perform in the nude, frankly.

As a matter of fact, I would prefer it.

by Anonymousreply 371August 12, 2022 2:00 PM

Someone posted Pam Anderson audio. She was as inept as one would expect.

by Anonymousreply 372August 12, 2022 2:01 PM

Chicago was conceived with a strong dance element. Anyone who “moves well” really doesn’t cut it.

by Anonymousreply 373August 12, 2022 2:11 PM

Wasn’t that Pam clip from pretty early in her run, though?

by Anonymousreply 374August 12, 2022 2:13 PM

[quote][R353] what’s worse now is that they’re now being racist just in a different way. Now that Headley and Miller are the witch in this production they will get flamed if they hire a white witch replacement. Why not keep it fluid and just hire whoever is best and available? Then a new Cinderella could be black. Or a new Baker. Plus they’re fairy tales.

But, I can imagine the outrage if a traditionally black role were played by an Asian or an Hispanic. The " diversification" of roles only applies to blacks being cast for traditionally white roles.

by Anonymousreply 375August 12, 2022 2:16 PM

But what "traditionally black" roles are there that aren’t defined by race in the script? Stella in FOLLIES (now, if not originally)? Judas in JCS?

by Anonymousreply 376August 12, 2022 2:19 PM

The "Another Hundred People" gal.

by Anonymousreply 377August 12, 2022 2:25 PM

When I saw the 90s Company in London, Bobby was black (Adrian Lester) and one of the husbands was black. And I actually liked that one of the husbands was black because it showed that Bobby had diverse socio-economic friends. Joanne is always played as well off, so there should be one couple on the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe a couple who work in a diner as a cook and waitress.

I think there are many places where non-white people can play leading roles.

by Anonymousreply 378August 12, 2022 2:33 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379August 12, 2022 2:34 PM

Why can't there be a Latina as Dorothy in " The Wiz" on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 380August 12, 2022 2:36 PM

Thank you r325 and r337. I really would like to go to Edinburgh Festival so I’ll look into logistics of attending.

by Anonymousreply 381August 12, 2022 2:42 PM

Well, per the draft of The Girls Upstairs that I have, Heidi's assistant is specified as a "negro." So once FOLLIES had an explicitly black character. Sally was also the last person to arrive at the party in the draft I have. James Goldman also repeatedly wrote "couldof" instead of "could've."

by Anonymousreply 382August 12, 2022 2:51 PM

Isn't it pretty clear that the draw for Into the Woods is . . . Into the Woods?

by Anonymousreply 383August 12, 2022 2:52 PM

In fairness the Witch is now the Black Woman Role and Cinderella is now the Any Non-White Ethnicity Role.

by Anonymousreply 384August 12, 2022 3:24 PM

It certainly isn't the hanging wood

by Anonymousreply 385August 12, 2022 3:24 PM

Went to see Into the Wood yesterday--and it is indeed the best production I've ever seen, mainly because the acting, so wonderfully executed, ramps up the comedy.

I saw Patina Miller's understudy for the Witch: Felicia Curry. WOW!!! She was fantastic in her Broadway debut.

Sara Bareilles, although effective, isn't as intense an actors as the experts around here--but her voice does produce some stunningly gorgeous tones.

by Anonymousreply 386August 12, 2022 3:25 PM

Red Riding Hood needs to actually, you know, be RED.

by Anonymousreply 387August 12, 2022 3:29 PM

[quote]Well, per the draft of The Girls Upstairs that I have

Spill.

by Anonymousreply 388August 12, 2022 3:39 PM

In the original draft, Buddy was questioning his sexuality. I’m surprised that the newer productions haven’t written in the gay sex talk scene like they have with Company.

Weissman to Buddy: These tit jigglers are too difficult to deal with, my boy. It’s all a folly to have a relationship with a woman. Stick with men. That Ben’s a fine piece of ass.

by Anonymousreply 389August 12, 2022 3:46 PM

[quote]I think there are many places where non-white people can play leading roles

Not without DLers whining about it taking them out of the story, or going on about white erasure, like the closet Qanons many of them are

by Anonymousreply 390August 12, 2022 3:48 PM

[quote] Isn't it pretty clear that the draw for Into the Woods is . . . Into the Woods?

It will be interesting to see what happens when Bareilles leaves.

by Anonymousreply 391August 12, 2022 3:49 PM

[quote] I guess when you say big you mean the size of their tits? Because that’s the only thing big about Pamela Anderson.

r364 your intentional pop culture ignorance is on big display. Come back when you've been in Playboy multiple times, on Baywatch aired internationally, and the subject of a miniseries .

by Anonymousreply 392August 12, 2022 3:51 PM

I bet Karl is the funniest sexiest Wolf and Prince. WAY better than Creel

by Anonymousreply 393August 12, 2022 3:58 PM

There isn't that much of interest R388. I love FOLLIES but draft for The Girls Upstairs is pretty bad. There was a trio called the rainbow girls, they were cut. The loveland sequence was the originally going to be the focus of the entire second act. Weissman suddenly decides to stage a new follies and the old ladies all join in. There aren't any lost Sondheim lyrics because most of act two consists of James Goldman monologues that would have become songs. Ben and Buddy have a sword fight. I think Sally tries to shoot Phyllis. Everyone makes up in the end. The draft is pretty bad overall.

by Anonymousreply 394August 12, 2022 4:06 PM

Thanks r394!

by Anonymousreply 395August 12, 2022 4:07 PM

It’s interesting how the Witch is almost always a POC these days. I wonder if Donna Murphy would even be cast these days if the park production was happening now?

by Anonymousreply 396August 12, 2022 4:26 PM

The wolf should be played by a straight actor. Still not recovered from Gavin's performance in She Loves Me.

by Anonymousreply 397August 12, 2022 4:35 PM

Was just thinking of a scary power couple (possibly) -- did Arthur Laurents and Roy Cohn ever get together? Laurents was actually pretty hot when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 398August 12, 2022 4:44 PM

Yeah, but Roy NEVER was.

by Anonymousreply 399August 12, 2022 4:46 PM

Into The Woods already looks like the Best Revival winner without even considering Camelot, 1776, Merrily, Sweeney, or anything else that may come in.

by Anonymousreply 400August 12, 2022 5:12 PM

Arthur liked shiksas.

by Anonymousreply 401August 12, 2022 5:18 PM

Roy Cohn only liked Latino men.

And neither Cohn nor Laurents would even consider another Jew. It was part of their self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 402August 12, 2022 5:27 PM

[quote] It will be interesting to see what happens when Bareilles leaves.

The last time Bareilles had a hit was at least decade or more ago. I doubt she's a draw at all.

by Anonymousreply 403August 12, 2022 5:32 PM

Was she a draw when she went into WAITRESS?

by Anonymousreply 404August 12, 2022 5:36 PM

Bareilles is probably a bigger draw now. She's really very good in ITW and she's gotten some nice press.

by Anonymousreply 405August 12, 2022 5:46 PM

[Quote] The last time Bareilles had a hit was at least decade or more ago. I doubt she's a draw at all.

Check the grosses. Every time she came back they spiked

by Anonymousreply 406August 12, 2022 5:46 PM

R406, Every time she came back? ITW only just opened on Bway.

by Anonymousreply 407August 12, 2022 5:52 PM

Waitress

by Anonymousreply 408August 12, 2022 5:55 PM

Orfeh will not be part of the RHONY reboot. Said she has no idea where the rumor came from.

by Anonymousreply 409August 12, 2022 6:01 PM

r408, yes because her replacements were particularly stars either

by Anonymousreply 410August 12, 2022 6:03 PM

oh shut the fuck up about Bareilles already

by Anonymousreply 411August 12, 2022 6:07 PM

Are you unhinged r411?

by Anonymousreply 412August 12, 2022 6:55 PM

In sad twist of fate, DL legend Anne Heche would have made a divine Witch in ITW.

1) She had the “I can play a bi-polar pyscho” down Pat.

2) she would have been beautiful after the transformation

3) She knows when to walk away from a bad situation (Ellen)

by Anonymousreply 413August 12, 2022 7:57 PM

I'd be delighted for this Into the Woods to run for years like Chicago with a revolving cast getting to put their stamp on these roles. The show is pretty popular and people have been craving a good old fashioned musical comedy with heart for awhile. I'm only sad that Sondheim isn't alive to see what's shaping up to be one of his most profitable and beloved productions.

by Anonymousreply 414August 12, 2022 8:05 PM

I saw Anne Heche in Proof and she was very moving. RIP

by Anonymousreply 415August 12, 2022 8:06 PM

Even in a sparkling Into The Woods like the current, the second act just drags.

by Anonymousreply 416August 12, 2022 8:33 PM

Who besides Nathan Lane (in musicals), Patti LuPone (in the right musical), Audra McDonald (in musicals) or Hugh Jackman (in musicals), sells tickets on their name alone these days? Not Kelli O'Hara, Gavin Creel, Sutton Foster (though her presence helps), or the others that Tara Rubin, Bernie Telsey and some of the other casting directors routinely trot out first for candidates for roles.

by Anonymousreply 417August 12, 2022 8:34 PM

Hello, R417!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418August 12, 2022 8:36 PM

Can't speak about Creel in ITW, but Cheyenne was excellent. Andy Karl would be lucky to be as good. (But I wouldn't be surprised if he were; comic vanity is his forte.)

by Anonymousreply 419August 12, 2022 8:50 PM

[quote]Was she a draw when she went into WAITRESS?

Apparently, Sara Bareilles was a huge draw when she went into WAITRESS. Like so many people here, R403 is clueless.

by Anonymousreply 420August 12, 2022 8:52 PM

My eyes R418! My eyes are burning with pain at that image!

by Anonymousreply 421August 12, 2022 9:12 PM

[quote]Who besides Nathan Lane (in musicals), Patti LuPone (in the right musical), Audra McDonald (in musicals) or Hugh Jackman (in musicals), sells tickets on their name alone these days?

Ahem!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422August 12, 2022 9:38 PM

mostly as a team - not necessarily as single acts

by Anonymousreply 423August 12, 2022 9:41 PM

Richard looks like he woke up in the Public Gardens super hungover after a night of drinking at the Ritz-Carlton across the way. Oscar might be wondering what Filene's is advertising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424August 12, 2022 9:48 PM

Curious about the denizens here. I’m 60. How about the rest of you?

by Anonymousreply 425August 12, 2022 10:23 PM

None of your business.

by Anonymousreply 426August 12, 2022 10:24 PM

68 r425.

by Anonymousreply 427August 12, 2022 10:29 PM

Beanie Fieldstein as the Witch!

by Anonymousreply 428August 12, 2022 10:44 PM

Beanie is already playing the cow...

by Anonymousreply 429August 12, 2022 10:48 PM

a little north of 68.

by Anonymousreply 430August 12, 2022 11:22 PM

How Come Alison Fraser never played Phyllis or maybe the witch or any Sondheim I can think of?

by Anonymousreply 431August 12, 2022 11:34 PM

Alison has not been in any Broadway musicals other than Gypsy in the past 30 years for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 432August 13, 2022 12:00 AM

"Which flop will be the last straw in the 'take a movie, throw in some songs, and call it Broadway' trend?"

I don't know, but the first thing to do is to declare a moratorium on all pop songwriters in the musical theater. Then hire personnel with talent, training and (please, God) taste, who know how to write for the stage, tell a story, illuminate character and communicate nuanced feeling: that is, professional composers with an elevated musical vocabulary and a gift for memorable melody--not hooks, not riffs--who can convey emotion through sound (without having it shrieked at top decibel level) and chart the progress of a narrative through musical signposts of sentiment. Then banish all adolescent navel-gazing and puerile fairy tales (pacem, ITW) and write/adapt stories for adults. Bring back romance and (especially) sex back to Broadway. Once that's in order, we'll deal with the rest.

by Anonymousreply 433August 13, 2022 12:18 AM

I always thought Alison should play Desiree in A Little Night Music.

by Anonymousreply 434August 13, 2022 12:19 AM

ALNM was exactly the show I was thinking of while reading R433. She described it perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 435August 13, 2022 1:44 AM

Those of you in your 60s, were you early adopters of computers/the internet?

by Anonymousreply 436August 13, 2022 1:55 AM

I signed onto the web days after 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 437August 13, 2022 2:07 AM

You don't include those of us in our 70s online in the early 90s. Usenet, email, bulletin boards. My first browser was Lynx (text only, no multimedia, including images), Mosaic, and then Netscape Navigator 1.1 in an evaluation version because otherwise it wasn't free.

by Anonymousreply 438August 13, 2022 2:34 AM

It took forEVER to download porn over 28.8.

And AOL discs were everywhere. You had to endure a high pitched shriek before hearing “You’ve Got Mail.” And I remember my hand hurting because I was continually trying to get into NYCM4M. And hurting even more after getting in and clicking on 25 different profiles to find a compatible hookup.

by Anonymousreply 439August 13, 2022 2:39 AM

I just discovered, in looking up something else, that the original Henrik in ALNM also dubbed the Hitler Youth beer garden singer in Fosse’s Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 440August 13, 2022 2:41 AM

Oh, yes, r428, I remember how with those early browsers, you usually surfed the web with image display turned off because of how long it took to download a picture on a 28k modem over copper telephone wire. Unless it was some porn you really, really wanted.

by Anonymousreply 441August 13, 2022 2:49 AM

And Betty Lynn dubbed an Asian girl in the movie of HAIR.

by Anonymousreply 442August 13, 2022 2:49 AM

I meant r438, not r428, at r441.

by Anonymousreply 443August 13, 2022 2:52 AM

Most of the people I knew got those free AOL discs in the mail endlessly and we ended up using them as coasters or Christmas tree decorations.

by Anonymousreply 444August 13, 2022 2:55 AM

Romance/Romance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445August 13, 2022 3:01 AM

Alison Fraser was so affected in ROMANCE/ROMANCE I wanted to slap her.

by Anonymousreply 446August 13, 2022 3:06 AM

Those trees decorated with lights and dangling AOL CDs were often quite pretty.

by Anonymousreply 447August 13, 2022 3:07 AM

[Quote] Most of the people I knew got those free AOL discs in the mail endlessly and we ended up using them as coasters or Christmas tree decorations.

I know someone who did that!!

by Anonymousreply 448August 13, 2022 3:16 AM

The Globe Theater, which normally revives Shakespeare, is doing a new play about Joan of Arc, where she is androgynous, or whatever the correct term is these days, and she is addressed as they/them. People like JK Rowling are very upset about it but I don't care. My blood pressure is more important at this point.

by Anonymousreply 449August 13, 2022 3:24 AM

Alison Fraser singing a song written by her husband Rusty McGee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450August 13, 2022 3:26 AM

[quote]It took forEVER to download porn over 28.8.

Even longer over 14.4

I will be a sexagenarian for three more weeks. And I was definitely an early adopter. Remember Prodigy, CompuServe GE*nie, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 451August 13, 2022 3:26 AM

I didn't want to mention everything, r451. Congratulations.

We're still here. Look who's here.

by Anonymousreply 452August 13, 2022 3:33 AM

"My blood pressure is more important at this point."

I hear you, r449. At least they're not defiling the Bernard Shaw play, so let's be grateful.

by Anonymousreply 453August 13, 2022 3:35 AM

Palate cleanser...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454August 13, 2022 3:50 AM

I saw in Ann Reinking in Goodtime Charley! It was during NY previews. One of the advantageous of being an old. I posted in the early net comments.

She was very, very good, Grey was OK, the sets and costumes OK, the score OK although if I remember correctly the show had a lot of problems and the turnover of the other creatives was frequent. Onna White was the final credited choreographer. Lots to enjoy although it didn't work But I enjoyed it. And when i say OK, I mean OK for Broadway, not the Forestburgh Playhouse.

by Anonymousreply 455August 13, 2022 4:18 AM

I spilled on The Girls Upstairs, so I might as well spill everything bootleg related I know:

Aurora Spider Woman is Ken Mandelbaum. The odious JordanCatalano of BWW fame is Ken's protege and he taped many of the videos us DLers know and love.

You're Gonna Love Tomorrow is a Sondheim stan obsessed with getting every he can from ATC's AlanScott.

David Hummel and Richard Norton are two of the kindest men I have ever met, but most other bootleggers deserve a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 456August 13, 2022 4:37 AM

I carried around a copy of Mr. Mandelbaum's book on flops for a while as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 457August 13, 2022 4:40 AM

Uh...r457...that is sacred text. You *always* have a copy...

by Anonymousreply 458August 13, 2022 4:43 AM

Ann Reinking was awesome in Goodtime Charley, although Larry Grossman maintains the definitive versions of Joan’s songs were by Betty Buckley, who was down to the wire with Reinking in auditions .Onna White was always the choreographer.

by Anonymousreply 459August 13, 2022 4:45 AM

The same copy is on my shelf now, R458.

by Anonymousreply 460August 13, 2022 4:47 AM

As it should be, r460. Now cross yourself and say ten Hail Mary Martins.

by Anonymousreply 461August 13, 2022 4:59 AM

I used to carry around a couple of Mandelbaum in my backpack in case I had to use a bathroom that was out of toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 462August 13, 2022 5:19 AM

I've lived in NYC for over 22 years now but back when I was still living in Fort Worth, TX (where I grew up), I used to run every month to the bookstore to buy the latest copy of "In Theatre," which was a great magazine that kept me up on all things Broadway and NYC. I loved it. It didn't last very long, unfortunately, but I think that may be where I first read Ken Mandelbaum's writing.

by Anonymousreply 463August 13, 2022 5:38 AM

Oh my Gos, r244! I saw Sleight of Hand. It was really bad. Gregory Peck’s daughter Cecelia played the female, and she was incompetent. Just awful. I know they replaced her before the opening. I think it included Harry G barefoot briefly, didn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 464August 13, 2022 5:38 AM

r456 I learned about boots during lockdown, for some reason YT began to put them in my recommends on their main page. I got hooked and went over to Reddit sub for those who booted and you are correct, they are some shitty snobby people, a few were generous but most were assholes.

by Anonymousreply 465August 13, 2022 7:35 AM

Ann Reinking was the ultimate supporting performer. The LA Times really nailed her appeal. The dance critic said that she was a star within her limited range. When she's outside of it, she's something of a pain.

by Anonymousreply 466August 13, 2022 8:06 AM

[quote]I just discovered, in looking up something else, that the original Henrik in ALNM also dubbed the Hitler Youth beer garden singer in Fosse’s Cabaret.

Mark Lambert.

by Anonymousreply 467August 13, 2022 8:10 AM

Lambert married his Anne, Victoria Mallory and their daughter played Anne in the KZJ revival.

by Anonymousreply 468August 13, 2022 8:12 AM

The KZJ revival?

by Anonymousreply 469August 13, 2022 8:15 AM

r449 The Globe has also decided to regender Elizabeth I (as they/them). You know, the woman who gave a big speech about her being a woman. The way whoever wrote that seems to think being a monarch is an exclusively male trait really does say it all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470August 13, 2022 10:02 AM

Speaking of KZJ or CZJ or whatever else she wants to be called, is she ever going to be back on Broadway? Not many people are given the star treatment for the debut (Sondheim blessing, Tony award, bashed by Barbara Cook) but then she never returns???

by Anonymousreply 471August 13, 2022 11:54 AM

[quote]The Globe Theater, which normally revives Shakespeare, is doing a new play about Joan of Arc, where she is androgynous, or whatever the correct term is these days, and she is addressed as they/them

...and Billy Porter as Joan?

by Anonymousreply 472August 13, 2022 11:59 AM

Funny, r458, I always thought Alan Scott G. was You're Gonna Love Tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 473August 13, 2022 12:32 PM

How did Barbara Cook bash CZJ? I didn’t hear that story.

by Anonymousreply 474August 13, 2022 1:19 PM

We saw both of Anne Hache's Broadway performances (replacement for MLP in PROOF and in the Roundabout revival of TWENTIETH CENTURY) and she was quite a talent and had that "thing" that made you not want to take your eyes off her.

by Anonymousreply 475August 13, 2022 2:09 PM

Ann Reinking really was great in Goodtime Charley. Vocally, she’d never been better. Thanks to the huge set there wasn’t much room for dancing but she really delivered. Not a perfect show but the pros outweighed the cons and it’s my favorite flop score.

by Anonymousreply 476August 13, 2022 2:24 PM

I don't suppose we'll get a revival of The Lark? No? ... No?

by Anonymousreply 477August 13, 2022 2:27 PM

Also, GOODTIME CHARLEY had some of the best orchestrations ever.

by Anonymousreply 478August 13, 2022 2:28 PM

[r474]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479August 13, 2022 3:20 PM

Hey Barbara,

At least I can walk. How about you?

by Anonymousreply 480August 13, 2022 3:35 PM

Barbara could be very nasty to other performers. Sorry, worshippers.

by Anonymousreply 481August 13, 2022 3:39 PM

Details, r481?

by Anonymousreply 482August 13, 2022 3:59 PM

The gender thing [italic] can [/italic] be interesting [italic] occasionally [/italic] but this is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 483August 13, 2022 4:11 PM

Yes, r478! By Jonathan Tunick.

by Anonymousreply 484August 13, 2022 4:13 PM

It's not my anecdote. But I recall reading (on here, possibly) about Barbara C slamming the piano cover down on Wally Harper's fingers when she disliked the way he was playing.

by Anonymousreply 485August 13, 2022 4:24 PM

Are we sure it wasn't because she was just hungry?

by Anonymousreply 486August 13, 2022 4:30 PM

I heard she sat on him, r485....

by Anonymousreply 487August 13, 2022 4:32 PM

For a fat woman, Barbara Cook had a very slender pussy.

by Anonymousreply 488August 13, 2022 5:07 PM

Let’s not forget that during her brief run in ALNM, CZJ had scheduled time off to promote a movie plus vacation and missed quite a few performances when she was ‘under the.......weather.’

by Anonymousreply 489August 13, 2022 5:08 PM

Dame Angela thinks I'm tremendous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490August 13, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote]Oh my Gos, [R244]! I saw Sleight of Hand. It was really bad. Gregory Peck’s daughter Cecelia played the female, and she was incompetent. Just awful. I know they replaced her before the opening. I think it included Harry G barefoot briefly, didn’t it?

You were one of a few thousand. r464. It only ran 9 performances.

It was a fuck up of Carrie proportions. Groener and DeMunn were heroic. John Pielmeier (Agnes of God) rewrote Act 2 twice during tech/previews/rehearsals. The 1st preview was a total disaster.

by Anonymousreply 491August 13, 2022 5:42 PM

[quote]The Globe Theater, which normally revives Shakespeare, is doing a new play about Joan of Arc, where she is androgynous, or whatever the correct term is these days, and she is addressed as they/them.

Stunning and brave.

by Anonymousreply 492August 13, 2022 6:44 PM

Was that the same Barbara Cook who was going to do a show where her wheelchair was moved around the stage on moving platforms?

She was just mad because the year CZJ was nominated in lead, Barbara was pushed into supporting.

by Anonymousreply 493August 13, 2022 8:21 PM

Yes, r493, another inspired directorial choice by James Lapine.

by Anonymousreply 494August 13, 2022 8:58 PM

R485, that is not true.

by Anonymousreply 495August 13, 2022 9:02 PM

Just...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496August 13, 2022 9:26 PM

I saw Cleo Laine play the Witch in a touring company of ITW about thirty years ago. I had no idea it was such a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 497August 13, 2022 9:35 PM

"Stunning and brave."

Exactly. Like producing Sondheim in New York.

by Anonymousreply 498August 13, 2022 9:43 PM

I’m jealous [497] I love Cleo Laine and her perf is on YouTube and I’m sure she was great in person.

by Anonymousreply 499August 13, 2022 9:46 PM

I saw Cleo in Drood.

by Anonymousreply 500August 13, 2022 9:56 PM

Wait I thought only black women could play that part

by Anonymousreply 501August 13, 2022 10:00 PM

Cleo Laine is black, R501, and we should treasure everyday she's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 502August 13, 2022 10:22 PM

Barbara Cook kicked Viveca Lindfors in the cunt during Something More. That’s why they had to fire Lindfors.

by Anonymousreply 503August 13, 2022 10:47 PM

Cleo Laine’s “Cleo Sings Sondheim” album is sublime. But the music videos she made for it are corny. She’s definitely a Carlotta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504August 13, 2022 10:52 PM

I saw Cleo on tour with ITW in San Francisco. It was… not good. She barely made an impression, both on stage and vocally. The person who walked away with the show and had the audience in hysterics multiple times was this tall fat girl who played Little Red. It was such a profound difference from Danielle Ferland when she walked out the audience was kind of shocked. And then she opened her mouth. It was one of the most deadpan and sardonic performances I’ve ever seen in any material anywhere and it was completely brilliant. She did things with the role no one has done before or since. Everyone else was pretty terrible, regional to college level. I think the original Rapunzel’s Prince (Chuck something) great on Broadway, had moved up to Cinderella’s Prince and he was totally forgettable. The production looked super cheap and tired. When the Giant fell they dropped like a handkerchief on stage? Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 505August 13, 2022 10:52 PM

Cleo Laine as the Princess Puffer............. Thumbs way up.

by Anonymousreply 506August 13, 2022 11:13 PM

I saw GOODTIME CHARLEY in its Boston tryout. I don't recall much dancing at all but I don't think the show was ever conceived to be a dance musical, in spite of the casting of Reinking. What I remember most fondly were the gorgeous sets and costumes of Rouben Ter-Artunian and Willa Kim, a lot of which were based on Maxfield Parrish paintings. It was certainly one of the most elaborately beautiful (pre) Broadway musicals I've ever seen. Too bad the show was so dull.

by Anonymousreply 507August 13, 2022 11:49 PM

R496 they sent that out?

by Anonymousreply 508August 13, 2022 11:55 PM

Andrea McArdle needs to write her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 509August 14, 2022 12:04 AM

I saw "A Little Night Music" in Pittsfield, MA this afternoon. For NYers/Broadway folk here are my opinions:

Emily Skinner does not seem very 'European' in voice or mannerisms for Desiree. She's very much an American in this show. She does sing well and "Send in the Clowns" is excellent.

Sierra Boggess is excellent as Charlotte. The costume designer however, dresses her in an outfit that is a mash-up of Emma Peel and Steampunk for one scene... bizarre, but I'm not joking.

Jason Danieley is very, very good as Fredrik, but he did go up during "You Must Meet My Wife" - yikes! The music continued, Skinner came in on time with her verse and he was right back in the show and song. I felt for the guy (have been on stage and done the same thing), he was doing fine and then poof up, up and away he went.

Mary Beth Peil is wonderful as Madame Armfeldt. She nails "Liaisons" and every other scene and line.

Overall, it's a good show - the quintet are a delight, Julianne Boyd's direction is fine... the show glides along from scene to scene smoothly and the ending between Desiree and Fredrik is wholly satisfying (Emily & Jason really do have a nice chemistry).

You get until 08/28 to see and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 510August 14, 2022 12:08 AM

I think I'll pass, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 511August 14, 2022 12:29 AM

But how was the gender neutral Petra?

I shall cohabitate with the Miller’s issue. I shall cohabitate with the person of Wales.

by Anonymousreply 512August 14, 2022 12:29 AM

JUST BREAKING:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513August 14, 2022 2:07 AM

I saw that tour of Into The Woods in the early 90s as well R505. You're quite right. Little Red walked off with the show. It was a fabulous performance in a rather tired touring production. My husband and I referred to her as Little Red Rambo Hood from then on. I wonder what happened to the actress?

by Anonymousreply 514August 14, 2022 2:29 AM

I saw the tour in St. Paul, but Cleo Laine was replaced by the histrionic Betsy Joslyn. The Little Red Ridinghood was Tracy Katz, and she played it three more times between 1988 and 2005 (!). I saw one of those, at the same theater in St. Paul where it had toured, and Brian D’Arcy James played the Baker.

by Anonymousreply 515August 14, 2022 2:54 AM

I'n fine...I send my love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516August 14, 2022 2:57 AM

Charlotte Rae was jacks mom on that tour

by Anonymousreply 517August 14, 2022 3:01 AM

I love when Broadway singers pretend they’re pop singers. Plus when Gavin creel pretends to be black

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518August 14, 2022 3:02 AM

Funniest line I heard about Sondheim being dead: I’m not still here.

by Anonymousreply 519August 14, 2022 3:41 AM

Went to As You Like It in Central Park tonight. It was actually pretty good. That bitch Shaina Taub actually has some talent-her score is one of the better ones I’ve heard in recent years. Taub is also playing Jaques but a quite capable understudy was on-no doubt because Taub is in Chicago trying to convince Elton John to rewrite SOMETHING.

by Anonymousreply 520August 14, 2022 3:43 AM

Shaina Taub is has very little talent indeed. She should write herself a starring vehicle: THE MEDIOCRE JEWESS.

by Anonymousreply 521August 14, 2022 3:49 AM

Tina and POTUS close tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 522August 14, 2022 4:09 AM

[quote]R160 Mary Martin broke her arm rehearsing Peter Pan but still did The Sound of Music.

I thought that happened when she was fingering Janet Gaynor.

by Anonymousreply 523August 14, 2022 4:26 AM

I saw the Into the Woods tour late in its run and mostly remember Nora Mae Lyng somehow walking off with the show as Jack’s Mother. She absolutely killed with every line. It was illuminating to see how an actor can transform any role.

by Anonymousreply 524August 14, 2022 7:29 AM

Martin was rehearsing for the 1960 color taping of Peter Pan during the day and performing The Sound of Music at night. One afternoon, the Foy guy flew her straight into a theater wall, which she struck elbow first, shattering it. The PP production had to be postponed but she never missed TSOM, appearing for several weeks with her arm in a sling. As we all know, Mary was a trouper.

by Anonymousreply 525August 14, 2022 7:41 AM

[quote]no doubt because Taub is in Chicago trying to convince Elton John to rewrite SOMETHING.

I doubt John has been anywhere near Chicago since the reviews came out

by Anonymousreply 526August 14, 2022 11:13 AM

They're already talking about "Prada" on "Forgotten Musicals." It's dead.

by Anonymousreply 527August 14, 2022 12:15 PM

The whole look of "Prada" is just wrong. It looks like a community theatre production.

Beth Leavel looks like middle management.

by Anonymousreply 528August 14, 2022 12:26 PM

[Quote] I doubt John has been anywhere near Chicago since the reviews came out

Sir Elton was probably there for a total of 3 hours to see the show smile for 5 pix and get the fuck out, probably on Taylor Swift’s private jet

by Anonymousreply 529August 14, 2022 12:43 PM

Mary missed one performance of SOM after the accident. She talks about it in her book. She had the stage manager place a phone receiver near the stage so she could hear the understudy’s performance. After that she did play the role with her arm in a sling.

by Anonymousreply 530August 14, 2022 12:54 PM

Please look at this photo array of our creative team so you see we have a minority person and don’t flame our show

by Anonymousreply 531August 14, 2022 1:04 PM

Please look at this photo array of our creative team so you can see we have a black person and don't flame our show.

by Anonymousreply 532August 14, 2022 1:38 PM

One more week left of The Devil Wears Prada.

by Anonymousreply 533August 14, 2022 1:56 PM

Emily Skinner always seems like she's performing in Annie Get Your Gun.

by Anonymousreply 534August 14, 2022 2:03 PM

Well, she is a Dolores Gray fan.

by Anonymousreply 535August 14, 2022 2:04 PM

I’ve never seen an Emily Skinner where she doesn’t insert a scream at some point. I see Night Music later this month. Perpetual Anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 536August 14, 2022 2:31 PM

I am not an Emily Skinner, I am THE Emily Skinner.

by Anonymousreply 537August 14, 2022 2:43 PM

[quote]which she struck elbow first, shattering it. The PP production had to be postponed but she never missed TSOM, appearing for several weeks with her arm in a sling.

Had it been *shattered*, r525, she would have required more than a sling.

by Anonymousreply 538August 14, 2022 3:41 PM

At the Roxy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539August 14, 2022 4:52 PM

Thank you r510

by Anonymousreply 540August 14, 2022 4:58 PM

Anyone who thinks PRADA, Mrs. Doubtfire and other lamentable movie to stage musicals are horrible did you know that out of town there are musical productions of The Karate Kid and Griswalds Family Vacation happening?

The only way it's excusable is if those productions are high camp, REALLY high camp, like so high there is no oxygen up there high camp.

by Anonymousreply 541August 14, 2022 5:05 PM

I wonder what Barbara Barrie did to Mary Rodgers that made her despise Barbara with the same intensity as she did Arthur Laurents. It's mentioned once in the book, then dropped.

by Anonymousreply 542August 14, 2022 5:09 PM

The new Feud: Mary vs. Barbara!

I didn't realize Mary was so short... is Linda Hunt available?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543August 14, 2022 5:25 PM

[quote]I wonder what Barbara Barrie did to Mary Rodgers that made her despise Barbara with the same intensity as she did Arthur Laurents.

Yeah, r542, what's that about?

by Anonymousreply 544August 14, 2022 5:30 PM

I saw Cleo Laine and her husband at a jazz supper club in NYC many years ago. It was just before her husband died.

She was already pretty old by then. Her voice was a little shaky for the first few second—but when she hit the first high note—gorgeous.. and got better from there. One of the best concerts I’ve ever seen

by Anonymousreply 545August 14, 2022 5:31 PM

Once upon a mattress is terrible. Mary Rodgers was a hack who was only anybody because of her dad, no?

by Anonymousreply 546August 14, 2022 5:33 PM

Mattress is a lovely, fun show. Good score. You must have seen the SJP production.

by Anonymousreply 547August 14, 2022 5:42 PM

R546, are you saying that Richard Rodgers got her novel Freaky Friday made into a movie?

by Anonymousreply 548August 14, 2022 5:45 PM

Stupid question, r546, and her credits are admirable enough if not lofty ones.

by Anonymousreply 549August 14, 2022 5:53 PM

MATTRESS is a cute show that relies heavily on the charm and talents of the performers. It's not a great score but a pleasant one. The humor is broad and silly (and a bit dated.)

And yes, the SJP revival in the 90s was laugh-free and charmless and SJP was just terrible in it.

by Anonymousreply 550August 14, 2022 6:13 PM

Maybe Barbara had something to say about Richard Rodgers' Casting Couch shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 551August 14, 2022 6:13 PM

No one wanted to "casting couch" Barbara Barrie.

by Anonymousreply 552August 14, 2022 6:18 PM

Did Beanie get casted through a casting couch? Will they record a soundtrack album with Beanie? What is Beanie doing next? Going back into Dolly? Did this experience with Fanny Girl make Beanie loose any weight? Will we see her on TV soon?

by Anonymousreply 553August 14, 2022 6:23 PM

"I doubt if anybody on Broadway plays as much tennis as Barbara Barrie. Her regular partners include Mary Rodgers (two hours of singles a week) ... "I play for blood." says Barbara Barrie. (1977)

Barbara played for blood, Mary for kicks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554August 14, 2022 6:25 PM

The book says that MATTRESS brought Rodgers at least 100k every year in royalties up until her death. It's popular in community theater and school productions everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 555August 14, 2022 6:28 PM

Ingenue Barbara with Robert Stack and DL fave Polly Bergen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556August 14, 2022 6:32 PM

How did they explain Maria Von Trapp's arm being in a sling? Did she fall off her bike or did the Baroness beat her up?

by Anonymousreply 557August 14, 2022 6:58 PM

Casted?

by Anonymousreply 558August 14, 2022 6:59 PM

R539 So that picture about a Minnesota man so in love with a Mississippi girl that he sacrifices everything and moves all the way to Biloxi finally closed?

by Anonymousreply 559August 14, 2022 7:00 PM

[quote]Did Beanie get casted through a casting couch? Will they record a soundtrack album with Beanie? What is Beanie doing next? Going back into Dolly? Did this experience with Fanny Girl make Beanie loose any weight? Will we see her on TV soon?

"Oh, dear" X 3.

by Anonymousreply 560August 14, 2022 7:01 PM

Barbara Barrie is excellent in her Cannes Film Festival prize-winning role in "One Potato, Two Potato", recently screened on TCM; the film is one of the first made about mixed marriage and is quite good. She looked attractive in it as well.

by Anonymousreply 561August 14, 2022 7:13 PM

One Potato...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562August 14, 2022 7:16 PM

Not quite a trailer as marked, more like a pivotal scene, but thanks.

by Anonymousreply 563August 14, 2022 7:24 PM

I'm finding that true of a lot of things listed as "trailers", r563. But since it has the dramatic money shot, it's better than a trailer.

by Anonymousreply 564August 14, 2022 7:30 PM

I think trailers is the new soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 565August 14, 2022 7:31 PM

The Von Trapp sister they don't talk about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566August 14, 2022 7:44 PM

[Quote] How did they explain Maria Von Trapp's arm being in a sling? Did she fall off her bike or did the Baroness beat her up?

Same explanation they gave for Noah on crutches

by Anonymousreply 567August 14, 2022 7:57 PM

Father -- Noah! will you stop ad-libbing. Someone actually wrote a play here.

by Anonymousreply 568August 14, 2022 8:01 PM

Cleo was great on the tour

As was ms Katz

But. No one is mentioning Lt tom Paris formerly of the starship voyager as Jack!

by Anonymousreply 569August 14, 2022 9:15 PM

[quote]R553 Did Beanie get casted through a casting couch?

Well… if so, it must have been pretty damn big.

(I say this with love. Everyone deserves to be comfortable.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570August 14, 2022 9:42 PM

Ehh, just felt like a little coup de théâtre...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571August 14, 2022 9:51 PM

Pia Douwes will be playing Meryl’s role in a Dutch tour of The Prom this fall.

My, how the mighty have fallen…

by Anonymousreply 572August 14, 2022 9:57 PM

JLo and JLa(pine) at ITW today .

by Anonymousreply 573August 14, 2022 10:00 PM

Velma Douwes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574August 14, 2022 10:03 PM

^ Sorry for the shitty boot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575August 14, 2022 10:08 PM

Your welcome R540... and to the others who have commented about Emily Skinner's other performances, interesting that she has been similar in other shows.

Hopefully someone else contributing to this or the next thread will see ALNM and post opinion too.

And if you haven't heard, Barrington's new Artistic Director has been named... young guy, Adam Paul. Makes his way to Pittsfield from Washington DC's Shakespeare Theatre Company. Bye Julianne, you've made great decisions over the years and sent some good shows to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 576August 14, 2022 10:55 PM

What WOULD a campy version of the National Lampoon's Vacation musical look like? Cousin Eddie and his family are depicted as full-on deplorables? Rusty is played by an Instaho still pretending he's 12? They cast one of the last remaining people from the Golden Age (like Donna McKechnie or Chita) as Aunt Edna?

by Anonymousreply 577August 14, 2022 11:30 PM

I loved Mary Rodgers' book but the derogatory comment about Barbara Barrie does seem to come a little out of left field; it's about Barrie trying to get the other Company actors to strike against participating in the Pennebaker COMPANY doc because she felt they weren't getting paid enough. IIRC Mary says she was an ass't producer on the doc. But she never really elaborates re comparing Barrie to Laurents.

Nevertheless, I'm such a fan and believer in Mary after reading her book , I'll take her word for it on Barrie. Also, I worked with Barrie a couple of times and found her rather passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 578August 14, 2022 11:37 PM

And Cyndi Lauper and Christopher Ashley are now developing a Broadway musical of WORKING GIRL.

I mean, who needs this shit?

by Anonymousreply 579August 14, 2022 11:38 PM

Skinner is like Karen Morrow, although she's a better actress. They just have an American by golly gumption thing about them. Emily's a Daisy not a Violet.

by Anonymousreply 580August 14, 2022 11:38 PM

For M. Rodgers to describe her former professional colleague Bob Keeshan, the children's advocate, a host of one of the most iconic TV shows in history, a close friend of Fred Rogers, and the gentlest of men as looking "like a little child molester" was unconscionable and cruel. Clearly, she inherited her father's self-loathing but only a smidgen of his talent. And for the Times to use that disgraceful line as a pull-quote in their review is equally heinous. I wouldn't bother borrowing the book from a library, let alone buy it.

by Anonymousreply 581August 14, 2022 11:51 PM

R581, I agree about the cruelty of Rodgers' remark about poor Captain Kangaroo, but this non sequitur -- "Clearly, she inherited her father's self-loathing but only a smidgen of his talent" -- makes you look just as nasty.

by Anonymousreply 582August 14, 2022 11:56 PM

Oh, Ortrud...dear...sweet ...Ortrud.

by Anonymousreply 583August 15, 2022 12:23 AM

You're right, r582. In my umbrage I extrapolated thoughtlessly. Thank you for calling me on it.

by Anonymousreply 584August 15, 2022 12:29 AM

"Once Upon A Mattress" is no "Light In The Piazza," now is it?

Sometimes greatness skips a generation.

by Anonymousreply 585August 15, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote]"Once Upon A Mattress" is no "Light In The Piazza," now is it?

No, it's much more successful.

by Anonymousreply 586August 15, 2022 12:31 AM

IIRC in the book, Mary said that Laurents had some unencouraging criticism of Light in the Piazza he had to share with Adam. No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 587August 15, 2022 12:41 AM

Once Upon a Mattress in the Piazza!

by Anonymousreply 588August 15, 2022 12:42 AM

Sondheim praised Guettel's music in PIAZZA but told the creative team that the daughter, Clara, didn't seem "retarded enough" in previews.

They followed that direction briefly, then, thank god, reversed course.

by Anonymousreply 589August 15, 2022 12:45 AM

Sondheim also suggested retitling it "The Dimmest Light in the Piazza".

by Anonymousreply 590August 15, 2022 12:52 AM

I'm...I'm sorry, r589, but your post made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 591August 15, 2022 12:55 AM

Almost the end, so here's the new thread someone (presumably r541) started a while ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592August 15, 2022 12:57 AM

Stop saying IIRC

by Anonymousreply 593August 15, 2022 12:59 AM

FIRST MIDNIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 594August 15, 2022 12:59 AM

[Quote] Sondheim praised Guettel's music in PIAZZA but told the creative team that the daughter, Clara, didn't seem "retarded enough" in previews.

What happened to "I loved it... Just that: I loved it."

by Anonymousreply 595August 15, 2022 1:00 AM

video of ALNM curtain call

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596August 15, 2022 1:01 AM

Bajour, Bajour, Toujours, Bajour..

by Anonymousreply 597August 15, 2022 1:02 AM

R595, it still stands. I believe r589 was joking.

by Anonymousreply 598August 15, 2022 1:03 AM

Where's the link for the next thread?

by Anonymousreply 599August 15, 2022 1:04 AM

Bajour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600August 15, 2022 1:05 AM

R599, At r592

by Anonymousreply 601August 15, 2022 1:05 AM

Didn't Barbra Barrie have a chip on her shoulder about being Jewish, and observing anti-semitism on Broadway? Anti-semitism on Broadway??

by Anonymousreply 602August 15, 2022 1:06 AM

Actually, no R598... Adam Guettel repeated this in a podcast interview. And as I recall, that was the language he said Sondheim used.

To be fair, it was over 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 603August 15, 2022 1:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!