Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbara Hershey

Barbara Hershey appears in a lot of comments, but I honestly could not find a thread dedicated solely to her.

She has appeared in With Six You Get Eggroll, The Baby Maker, The Right Stuff, The Natural, Hannah and Her Sisters, Hoosiers, Shy People, The Last Temptation of Christ, A World Apart, Beaches, A Killing in a Small Town, Falling Down, The Portrait of a Lady, A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, Black Swan, Poirot, Once Upon a Time, and the Insidious series.

She was the greatest tragic actress of her day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 1, 2024 3:52 PM

LIPS, inc.

by Anonymousreply 1August 9, 2022 1:15 AM

R1 what?

by Anonymousreply 2August 9, 2022 1:22 AM

Too old.

by Anonymousreply 3August 9, 2022 1:25 AM

R3 Naveen Andrews disagrees with you

by Anonymousreply 4August 9, 2022 1:26 AM

Over rated

by Anonymousreply 5August 9, 2022 1:28 AM

The one where she is raped by a ghost!

by Anonymousreply 6August 9, 2022 1:30 AM

R6 da hell?

by Anonymousreply 7August 9, 2022 1:31 AM

It was consensual, R6.

by Anonymousreply 8August 9, 2022 1:33 AM

r7, r6 is talking about Hershey's role in "Portrait of a Lady."

by Anonymousreply 9August 9, 2022 1:42 AM

Didn't she used to be Barbara Seagull Hershey? I get her confused with Ringo's wife who is also a Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 10August 9, 2022 2:03 AM

[quote]She was the greatest tragic actress of her day.

But where is her Phaedra? Her Lady Macbeth?

by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2022 2:06 AM

I met her last weekend.

She was very sweet. Told her I recently watched her streaming horror film as I was a former student of Fran Bennett's and she couldn't have been more engaging and kind.

She shared some fond memories with me.

by Anonymousreply 12August 9, 2022 2:06 AM

My favorite Barbara Hershey film is "Last Summer", a 1969 film by Frank Perry with Richard Thomas and Catherine Burns. One of my favorite films from my teen age years.

by Anonymousreply 13August 9, 2022 2:10 AM

I like her.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2022 2:12 AM

It's 'The Entity', you dodo! Anyway, I admire her stance on nudity. She uses a rubber facsimile of her nude body for such scenes.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2022 2:27 AM

I think she's crazy

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2022 2:46 AM

Great actress…probably deserved that Oscar for The Portrait Of A Lady.

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2022 2:51 AM

She was hot in Kung Fu

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2022 3:39 AM

Thin lips stretched tight over that overbite.

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2022 3:45 AM

She looked great at the Kennedy Center Honors when she paid tribute to Bette. Had no idea they maintained a friendship after Beaches.

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2022 3:46 AM

Did Fran Bennett ever discuss her role in the classic 1980s drama Nightingales, R12?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2022 4:50 AM

The Baby Maker is an interesting time capsule.

“I mention Penny's review, first, because I liked the writing; second, because "The Baby Maker" is terribly vulnerable to her approach. A movie about a middle-class couple hiring a hippie chick to have their baby because the wife is sterile, indeed!

And yet "The Baby Maker" will appeal to many audiences, I think, because it's fundamentally civilized, and funny, and stunningly well-acted. Too often in these days of being compulsively with it, people avoid movies they might like to see, because they're afraid it would be unhip to be seen at such a movie. It's also unhip, I suppose, to have an emotional reaction to scenes like the natural childbirth in "The Baby Maker," and yet that scene of 10 or 12 minutes was as beautiful, as transcendently humanistic, as anything I've seen in a movie in a long time.

Like a lot of movies these days, "The Baby Maker" exists more in its individual scenes than as a whole. There are bad lapses of tone, as when the girl throws paint on her former boyfriend, or when the wife embarrassingly slips her wedding ring onto the girl's finger before the baby making commences.

And yet against that you can balance a scene where people are picketing against war toys, and you think for a moment the scene has collapsed into banality, and then it surprises you with a hilarious switch in tone. Or, most stunningly, the childbirth scene, played so luminously by Barbara Hershey that there are tears in the audience, and that's unusual because they're tears of joy, not sorrow.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2022 7:13 PM

She's a ham

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2022 7:54 PM

Whenever I see a movie with Ali McGraw on tv I always think about how much better Barbara would’ve been in her part.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2022 8:02 PM

I remember being so entranced watching this the first time it aired when I was 7 years old.

Barbara and Jane Alexander together probably ignited my interest in great performances by women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote] how much better Barbara would’ve been

That's no praise at all, R24.

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2022 11:57 PM

My favorite film of hers is The Stunt Man - she's great as are Peter O'Toole and Steve Railsback. Needs to be seen more widely.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2022 2:42 AM

I thought she was terrific as the creepy ballet mom in Black Swan.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2022 2:44 AM

I love her chocolate bars!

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2022 3:05 AM

Her performance in "The Entity" is one of the great unsung performances of any horror film ever. The movie overall is a bit uneven, but it remains very powerful (and creepy), almost fully owing to Hershey's performance in it. She commits to the material in a way that you rarely see an actor do, especially in a horror flick.

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2022 3:09 AM

Idiots for $20, please, Dead Alex.

Answer: She was the greatest tragic actress of her day.

Question: What does a Thread-OCD-Troll OP say about Barbara Hershey that shows the OP's shameless stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2022 3:13 AM

She should have won for The Portrait of a Lady.

Juliette Binoche for The English Patient was a gimme Oscar.

She was even better than Betty Bacall in The Mirror Has Two Faces

AND Joan Allen in The Crucible

AND Marianne Jean-Baptiste in Secrets and Lies

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2022 3:15 AM

Barbara Hershey's Sad Last Days

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2022 3:19 AM

My favorite film of hers is that three-hankie weepie, "Beaches", in which she stars opposite some cow who looks like an overinflated Mayim Bialik but with only half the charm.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2022 3:40 AM

[Quote] She uses a rubber facsimile of her nude body for such scenes.

Is this for real? Does she own it and store it in her closet and just bring it along on film shoots? (Driver, turn around! I forgot to bring my naked body!)

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2022 3:42 AM

Based on a 'true' story of a California woman who was being physically attacked by an entity she could not see. The Entity is one of Martin Scorsese's favorite horror films The nude rubber facsimile was used in scenes where the character's body was being touched by something unseen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2022 3:52 AM

Hershey did appear topless in 1969s Last Summer. Her first starring role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2022 3:57 AM

I lived not far from Babs and Robert Carradine when they lived in a tree-house in Laurel Canyon in the mid- 1970s. We had a mutual friend in John Barrymore Jr. and his then pregnant girlfriend Jade, mother of Drew. I attended several parties on their property and one particularly memorable event in Joshua Tree. John Jr. and Carridine had taken on the mantel of Hollywood mystical gurus. Pregnant Jade and Babs were among their starry-eyed devotees. John Jr. had a peyote button connection. He'd cure them for months in a jar and brew them into a kind of sticky tea. In Joshua Tree, we did doses of the liquid via a shared enema bag administered by ass freak Carradine. The high was truly celestial, the company was not.

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2022 4:10 AM

A scene from the wonderful film The Stunt Man (1980) with Hershey, O'Toole and Steve Railsback. It was filmed at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego which was also used for Some Like It Hot (1959)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2022 4:19 AM

The Hotel Del Coronado

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2022 4:24 AM

Here's Barbara at The Kennedy Center Honors for Bette. She apparently is one of the few costars who got along with Midler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2022 4:37 AM

She went by the name Barabara Hershey Seagull because of a seagull used in the film that died during shooting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2022 4:43 AM

I love Barbara. I've been a fan for a long time, and I think her performance in "The Entity" is one of the greatest I've seen in any horror film. She is fantastic in that movie (and many others). She has a quirky minor role in the thriller "Strange Darling" that just came out last week. Ed Begley Jr. is in it with her playing her husband. It was really fun seeing them together onscreen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 1, 2024 7:48 AM

I remember her from a 1966 TV series called "The Monroes." She was one of the Monroes. It was a western and it had nothing to do with Marilyn.

Watching it at the time, I had no idea she would go on to become the greatest tragic actress of her day.

by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2024 8:21 AM

She went fugly for A Killing in a Small Town on TV and got an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2024 8:42 AM

Too bad this a thread from 2022; I’d like to hear more from r38.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2024 9:02 AM

I'm not saying she's into feces but I will say, "Be very careful how you answer her when she's asks if you'd like some Hershey's chocolate."

*Shudder. "

by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2024 1:39 PM

I’ve always wondered why she went with Hershey just because of the impossible chocolate connotation. I guess Herzstein was way too Jewish sounding. Better than Barbara Seagull, though.

by Anonymousreply 48September 1, 2024 2:04 PM

I think she was with David Carradine not Robert.

by Anonymousreply 49September 1, 2024 2:20 PM

Barbara Hershey opened the floodgates to lip augmentation.

For this alone she deserves scorn.

Also, for every gay man forced by his girl friends to sit through Beaches.

by Anonymousreply 50September 1, 2024 2:34 PM

If I read this right, Barbara was claiming 2021 to have not had cosmetic surgery, which is crazy—the lips aside, it’s obvious she had work done. I always thought she was naturally very beautiful. She has a mix of Irish and Russian Jewish ancestry. My mom has a similar background and looks like she could’ve been Barbara’s sister actually.

by Anonymousreply 51September 1, 2024 2:44 PM

Oops, link here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 1, 2024 2:56 PM

Should have been nominated for Black Swan. She might have won.

by Anonymousreply 53September 1, 2024 3:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!