Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Clu Gulager, Actor in ‘The Virginian,’ ‘The Last Picture Show’ and ‘Return of the Living Dead,’ Dies at 93

The Oklahoma cowboy portrayed Billy the Kid as a nice guy in 'The Tall Man' and was bumped off by Ronald Reagan in 'The Killers.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2022 1:49 PM

Boo!

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2022 12:48 AM

Who was he? Give me a clu please.

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2022 12:57 AM

Any late 60s or early 70s program you tuned in would have either Gulager or James Farentino.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2022 12:57 AM

He was cute back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2022 1:01 AM

Just a kid.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2022 1:03 AM

He was clute back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2022 1:05 AM

Tons of guest starring credits on tv as well as supporting roles in films. He's great in a small prat in "Last Picture Show"

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2022 1:17 AM

He was in a lot of great movies and genre pictures. "The Last Picture Show" is a classic and probably in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. I also liked several of the horror movies he was in, particularly "The Initiation" with Vera Miles and DL fave Daphne Zuniga—it's one of my favorite slasher movies. There is just something about the atmosphere that I find completely absorbing. He gets violently murdered early on in it with a pitchfork to the neck. I was somewhat surprised to see that he was in the iPhone-filmed "Tangerine" from 2015, which was about a transgender hooker in Los Angeles—pretty hip for an Oklahoman in his late 80s to appear in something like that.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2022 1:25 AM

Age 93 is a pretty good run.

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2022 1:25 AM

His appearances in horror films like Return of the Living Dead and Nightmare on Elm Street II introduced him to a new generation of viewers and kept him in demand at horror conventions. Very nice to fans, I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2022 1:26 AM

The film in which he had an uncredited part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2022 1:31 AM

He was originally cast as Chase Gioberti on Falcon Crest - after the pilot was filmed, the producers changed their mind and recast the part with Robert Foxworth

Maggie was played by Samantha Egger and was also let go and replaced by Susan Sullivan

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2022 1:33 AM

[quote] Maggie was played by Samantha Egger and was also let go and replaced by Susan Sullivan

That was quite a turn of events.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2022 1:37 AM

Here's The Initiation. It's a nice looking movie for a low budget slasher film from 1984. I love the bright outfits Daphne wears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2022 1:38 AM

Here's The Initiation. It's a nice looking movie for a low budget slasher film from 1984. I love the bright outfits Daphne wears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2022 1:39 AM

Does Susan Dey have a clu of what happened? I request her comment.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2022 1:40 AM

He looks like Jane Fonda after transitioning.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2022 1:46 AM

A lot of actors are living for a long time. Earl Holliman may be next.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2022 2:18 AM

I would have done him when he was young! Good actor, too. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2022 2:20 AM

[quote] He looks like Jane Fonda after transitioning.

Didn't they star in Clute together?

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2022 2:26 AM

I hope Earl Holliman at least makes it to his next birthday in Sept.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2022 2:33 AM

[quote] I hope Earl Holliman at least makes it to his next birthday in Sept.

Get a clu! He won't make it to the end of the month.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2022 2:36 AM

Clu Gulager was a total babe in his day and a wonderful actor. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2022 2:37 AM

There were a number of actors who had that sort of Brando/James Dean broodiness, Clu was one and Michael Parks was another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2022 2:52 AM

Very sexy in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, without hardly saying one word.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2022 2:56 AM

I think he was handsome, too. He had a prominent nose, but I tend to find that attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote] but I tend to find that attractive.

As if!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2022 3:32 AM

He was in "Tangerine" a few years ago as one of the passengers, funny guy, apparently was still running an acting studio well into his 80s. I've never heard anyone say anything but nice things about him in interviews. Nutty but nice is the impression I always got.

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2022 3:32 AM

R14 this is a side note unrelated to Gulager, but I always get a kick out of the end of that movie when Zuniga's evil twin sister is chasing her around the mall--you can very clearly see the face of evil twin's body double, who looks NOTHING like Zuniga and is very obviously wearing a poorly-fitting wig.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2022 3:36 AM

I saw him in the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "Pen Pal" where he played an escaped convict terrorizing Katherine Squire. He seemed very Actors Studio mannered.

by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2022 12:40 PM

Clu apparently had GAY lips 👄.

by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2022 12:42 PM

I love the shape of his eyes. So friendly but sexy

by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2022 12:45 PM

He had beautiful eyes. I recognized the face, but never knew his name. RIP Clu Gulager.

by Anonymousreply 33August 13, 2022 1:39 PM

His parent forgot the "e" in his name. Clue or clu.

by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2022 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!