Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Dreyfuss

Thoughts on the American actor Richard Dreyfuss?

He's been in some good films- American Graffiti, Jaws, First Encounters, The Goodbye Girl, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Stand by Me, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, What About Bob?, The American President, Mr. Holland's Opus, James and the Giant Peach, W., Red, and a couple of episodes of Weeds.

My favorite performance- Dick Cheney in W. He was better than Christian Bale imho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 5, 2023 2:10 AM

Bleerrkkhhh!!

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2022 10:36 PM

[quote]First Encounters

CLOSE, but no cigar!

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2022 10:38 PM

This man has all the integrity and sex appeal as the lates George Arliss.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2022 10:38 PM

He a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2022 10:44 PM

He a proud son of the Beit HaKnesset HaGadol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2022 10:46 PM

Loved him in Jaws and The Goodbye Girl

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2022 10:50 PM

Gross, self-absorbed bore. I had the unfortunate luck of being behind him, at the NYC Health @ Racquet club (I know, I know) in an all-fours position in the worst late-'80s aerobics class ever. He smelled bad. Learned within weeks that he was a hopeless coke fiend at the time. I mean... who wasn't? But he was the first "celeb " I met who truly exemplified the worst of his slimy, unearned legend.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2022 10:53 PM

He's a terrific actor - really. Mr. Holland's Opus, Jaws, The Goodbye Girl, What About Bob, Close Encounters, AG, Down n Out - all great films and he was great in them. I always thought he was cute in a very petite sort of way. Like a pint sized twinkly eyed cutie. Love him. I hope he's not a jerk IRL but I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2022 10:56 PM

He's said to be a pretentious piece of shit.

I started following his son Ben on Twitter after a DLer mentioned him a few months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2022 11:02 PM

Cant stand him. He gives me anxiety when he’s on screen, even in Jaws, which I love.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2022 11:03 PM

One note. Though I did enjoy his performance as the assistant stage manager in Valley of the Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2022 11:06 PM

From June 2016:

[quote][bold]What do you think of the current political situation? There was a bit of a fuss when you attended a Ted Cruz rally.[/bold]

[quote]I attended Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, and [Carly Fiorina] and I would’ve attended Donald Trump but he had been boycotting at the time. And I went because I was curious. I went to see if they were any different in person than on television. And then it became this, “What is Richard Dreyfuss doing at a Ted Cruz rally?” as if that was some kind of sin for anyone to listen to an opposing opinion. We’ve really become totally neurotic in this country. This country is founded by dissenters and dissenters are shot on sight now.

[quote][bold]Do you like either of the leading presidential candidates[/bold]

[quote]I haven’t spoken an opinion on current political issues for about 10 years because I have a curriculum in civic training that starts in kindergarten and goes to the 11th grade, and I’ve called it “pre-partisan.” It’s very important to me that it be perceived as pre-partisan, and knowing that when I walked into a room people automatically defined me — incorrectly — as a member of the gaggle of Hollywood liberals, I would say: “Number one, I gaggle for no one. And two, I’m not a liberal. I am a libo-conservo-rado-middle of the road-o just like all of you.”

[quote][bold]You had a pretty wild life when you were younger, then you were in a car accident in your mid-30s. What happened[/bold]

[quote]It sobered me up. Basically, I was acting like a low-down dirty dog. I was a rude, hostile, angry person taking a lot of drugs, and my car went out of control and I ended up in Cedars-Sinai, under arrest. I spent a week or 10 days in complete denial, trying to forget what had happened and what I was about to face. And I did that by going to a lot of orgies in Hollywood and Malibu. And one night, I went to one of these things and one of the coke whores managed to let me see, against her will, how much she hated herself. And I walked out the back door, never did it again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2022 11:14 PM

Spielberg wanted him for Dr. Alan Grant in JURASSIC PARK but Dreyfuss wanted too much money.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2022 11:29 PM

[quote] It’s very important to me that it be perceived as pre-partisan, and knowing that when I walked into a room people automatically defined me — incorrectly — as a member of the gaggle of Hollywood liberals, I would say: “Number one, I gaggle for no one. And two, I’m not a liberal. I am a libo-conservo-rado-middle of the road-o just like all of you.”

Very sensible.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2022 11:30 PM

I am super confused by his coke whore story above, but it was kind of funny

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2022 11:50 PM

Self loathing Jew

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2022 11:51 PM

He won the Oscar for the wrong movie in the right year. "Close Encounters" is a wonderful performance; "Goodbye Girl" is irritating schtick.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2022 11:53 PM

Signing autographs at fan conventions is what you do when no one else will hire you.

[quote]Dreyfuss, in Australia with his wife, Svetlana, for a string of appearances at the Supanova comic and gaming conventions, has had a “car crash” of a week.

[quote]It started on Sunday evening when the Hollywood star and Academy Award-winner said he was ambushed on live TV.

[quote]Dreyfuss took exception to being questioned about the #MeToo movement, having been accused of sexual harrassment last year in relation to an alleged incident he says happened more than 30 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2022 11:55 PM

Dreyfuss's Desert Island Discs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2022 11:56 PM

[quote]In a series of photos shared exclusively with The News, Dreyfuss is seen squeezing one of the women on her buttock, and then wrapping his arms around her waist so one hand is touching her breasts while the other is extending down toward her crotch.

[quote]"The first thing he did was give me a hug, and he stuck his hand almost in the crack of my butt. He didn't even give me any warning,' the woman, who asked to be identified only by her first name, Beth, said.

[quote]"Then he turned me around, and he grabbed me by the boob. And he grabbed right above my private area, lower than my midriff. Like he was tickling me. I was giggling, but not in a happy way. I was so nervous," Beth, 48, recalled.

[quote]"I was so uncomfortable. It was such a weird, awkward feeling."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2022 11:58 PM

LOVED HIM in Valley of the Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2022 11:58 PM

An asshole of a man and a terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2022 12:17 AM

Not a fan- overacts most the time, only works well when cast as an obnoxious person- like Jaws.. But he comes close to ruining any scene he’s in in that one too.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2022 12:46 AM

A national treasure. He barked out all there was to say about the subject in 'Whose Life is it Anyway, I Want to Get Off'. He needs to do more work with Bette Midler. The two combust with a wacky chemistry that manages a steady, sassy crackle of sex tension. I kept moaning during the "Fockers" sequels mourning the missed opportunity the roles, miscast with Streisand and Dustin Hoffman, had they been afforded to team Midler & Dreyfuss.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2022 12:47 AM

[quote] He needs to do more work with Bette Midler. The two combust with a wacky chemistry that manages a steady, sassy crackle of sex tension.

That sassy cackle sound is their hips shattering.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2022 12:53 AM

He strikes me as an intelligent, but not very likeable, guy. I liked some of his performances. I didn't think he deserved an Oscar for 'The Goodbye Girl." I thought Richard Burton should have won that year. He was a major cokehead. And I think he has major mental health problems; I heard somewhere that he's bi-polar. He's a strange guy.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2022 12:54 AM

1978 interview with Cameron Crowe

[quote][italic]Indeed, Dreyfuss had all but disappeared in the months since winning the Academy Award: he dropped out of Bob Fosse’s ‘All That Jazz’ several days before the beginning of production, costing himself $350,000 in reparations, and broke up with longtime girlfriend Lucinda Valles. People had begun to talk about the man on whom they bestowed the title Mr. New Hollywood Establishment.[/italic]

[quote][bold]It seems to bother you that people find you arrogant. During interviews you say things like, “I always knew I’d be a star[/bold]

[quote]I don’t know why that’s taken as arrogance. You know, the funny thing about being arrogant and all that shit . . . I probably am more insecure and more publicly self-denigrating than any other person I’ve ever fucking known. But because I’ve also said the opposite, that’s all they hear.

[quote][bold]They say that as soon as you hear your name called out for an Academy Award, an incredible experience happens. You accept it, and before it’s even sunk in, they’ve whisked you off into a room backstage full of reporters and photographers. Then they take the Oscar away from you for engraving and lead you back out to sit among the same people. As if nothing happened.[/bold]

[quote]Well, first of all, they never took the Oscar away from me. I still have it in a bank vault and it’s not engraved. I went back to New York with it in my hand and it wasn’t until I was back in L.A. five months later that someone said, “The Academy called and they never got your Oscar for engraving.”

[quote]Do you know that in one year I got the Academy Award, the Drama Critics Award, the Hasty Pudding Award, the Golden Globe, the David di Donatello [Italian award for Best Foreign Actor]. That’s five, right? Until that year I had never won anything ever. I was the best actor at Beverly High. Everyone knew that. I never won. Greg Findley [now doing commercials] won Best Actor. I was a funny guy, but Albert Brooks was funnier. In school, his name was Albert Einstein. I came in third for every award at Beverly High in 1965. Then, in one year . . . ooooooo, ahhhhhh. Thank you.

[quote][bold]Did you run into any of the other Best Actor nominees after you’d won the Oscar[/bold]

[quote]No. I ran into John Travolta before. He came back behind me and said good luck. I wished him good luck, too.

[quote][bold]Did you see ‘Saturday Night Fever[/bold]

[quote]No. [Sue Di Puccio, Dreyfuss’ assistant, who was sitting in on the conversation, added, “Tell him about Jack Nicholson.”] I had just won the Oscar, right. I get in the elevator to go back downstairs. Jack Nicholson gets into the elevator. There’s me, a few other actors. Nicholson stands at the back, adjusting his shades, saying nothing. Then, just as the doors are about to open, he says to me, “Bet you’re glad I didn’t make a film this year.” I was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2022 1:13 AM

I loved Down and Out in Beverly Hills. Everyone was so good in it. But Matisse stole the movie.

by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2022 1:26 AM

LOVED his work in "The Graduate" -- especially in Spanish? I was intoxicated by his stardust from the get-go. 🙄🙄🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2022 1:30 AM

haha Nicholson adjusting his shades before dispensing some shade.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2022 1:48 AM

Huge fan, especially of his Jaws performance.

by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2022 1:52 AM

Met him at CHILLER about ten years ago. Being new to shows, he had the largest line. He has sign saying proceeds were going to his learning/school charity. He was kinda manic and didn't seem to want to be there, he would stop and get up, he left for lunch with no notice and a huge line waiting. By the time we got up to him , my friend was so turned off by his antics he get got off the line. I got "Jaws" and Close Encounters DVD signed.

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2022 2:00 AM

Official PAIN-IN-THE-ASS on screen and off. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2022 2:02 AM

[quote][bold]Richard Dreyfuss: Out of the wreckage[/bold]

[quote]Updated Jan. 31, 2009 12:00 AM

[quote]He has married three times, achieved rare heights of obnoxiousness as an addict and recently retired from movie-acting only suddenly to take it up again. (For which you might have been grateful if you enjoyed him playing Dick Cheney last year in Oliver Stone's W.) And we haven't even mentioned the headlines late last year about the lawsuit he filed against his own father and uncle claiming they owe him $4m on a property loan of $870,000 made 25 years ago. That seemed kind of crummy.

[quote]As a teen – and smoking pot – he had an epiphany about the absolute importance of ending all wars, triggering a need to participate in politics that has never left him. Dreyfuss became a conscientious objector, escaping the Vietnam draft and instead doing service as a clerk in the basement of a Los Angeles hospital. And it was there where he had his first experience of a new variety of drugs – uppers to keep him awake. Drugs and booze inhabited Dreyfuss through most of the 1970s, years that were among his most successful.

[quote]The early 1980s were largely lost to rehab, but Dreyfuss made a celluloid comeback in 1986 with Down and Out in Beverly Hills. In 1991 he landed a comedy role opposite Bill Murray in the widely acclaimed What About Bob? and four years later he was nominated for best actor again for Mr Holland's Opus, though he didn't win.

[quote]The usual shorthand for how Dreyfuss got clean begins and ends with a car crash in 1982. He smashed his Mercedes into a palm tree and woke up hanging upside down beneath it. The shame of the police finding cocaine and Percodan tablets in the wreckage drove him to rehab. Of course, it was more complicated than that, as Dreyfuss himself explains in the pages of Moments of Clarity, a new book about prominent people escaping addiction by Christopher Kennedy Lawford.

[quote]Like others in the book, Dreyfuss writes in first person about his experiences. By the time of the crash, he says, he had become "a board member and probably chairman of admissions for the Assholes Center". The humiliation was crushing, but within days he was back to his old tricks, drinking and attending cocaine-fuelled sex orgies.

by Anonymousreply 34July 30, 2022 2:11 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 30, 2022 2:11 AM

NYT 1982 lol:

Three weeks ago, Richard Dreyfuss, the Academy Award-winning star of 'The Goodbye Girl,' was charged with driving under the influence of drugs after he lost control of his car and it rolled over several times in Beverly Hills. The Beverly Hills police said a vial of white powder suspected of being cocaine was found in the car. Meyer Mishkin, Mr. Dreyfuss's longtime agent, said after the actor's arrest that to his knowledge Mr. Dreyfuss had never used drugs or alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 36July 30, 2022 2:31 AM

I think his agent meant to say that "Mr. Dreyfuss had never not used drugs or alcohol."

by Anonymousreply 37July 30, 2022 2:32 AM

He seems innately unpleasant. Just gives off bad energy. He reminds so much of one of my firm’s (now retired) senior partners that no one liked, right down to the tacky eastern European wife

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2022 8:05 PM

He hit me in the head with...

by Anonymousreply 39July 30, 2022 8:15 PM

Wasn’t there some weirdness between Kevin Spacey and his son? Vaguely remember it… they were out together and Spacey hit on his son?

Ill try to find a link to it.

by Anonymousreply 40July 30, 2022 9:07 PM

^heres tge link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 30, 2022 9:08 PM

I thought he died about 13 years ago?!

by Anonymousreply 42July 30, 2022 9:20 PM

Going into this thread, I had respect for Dreyfuss because of all the classics he has been in. Performance-wise, I also thought he was great in Down & Out in Beverly Hills, but was limited in range (which probably partially explains why he has more or less become a relic of his heyday). I do agree that him and Midler would have been great casting for the Folkers.

After reading this thread, he sounds like an unpleasant addictive-personality type who is inappropriate with women and stinks up aerobics classes. :(

by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2022 9:43 PM

No mention of his performance with DL fave Miss Streisand in Nuts (1987)?

by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2022 9:58 PM

Wow, I had no idea he was such an a-hole.

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2022 10:09 PM

I met him once. He's about 4 feet tall.

by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2022 10:21 PM

[quote] I thought he died about 13 years ago?!

It was premature

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2022 10:22 PM

I think he hates Hollywood and America. Always seemed like one of those Americans that tries to be European.

I think he is well read and intelligent.

He has some really great performances (Dick Cheney in W, Mr. Holland's Opus, What About Bob?, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind).

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2022 5:08 PM

I remember seeing Richard Dreyfuss and Barbra Streisand's mothers interviewed together on daytime TV in the 1980s, Gary Collings was the host. Richard's mother was all show bizzy happy to be there, Barbra's mother acted like she was being interviewed for jury duty.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2022 6:04 PM

Mr. Holland’s Opus was nothing more than a clap trap.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2022 6:57 PM

R50 Olympia Dukakas was good in it. And it had a great musical score.

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2022 7:19 PM

He seems like a legend in his own mind

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2022 12:21 AM

He had quite an affair in France.

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2022 1:15 AM

But you took Richard Dreyfuss's surname why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 1, 2022 1:16 AM

Talking about his Jaws costar Robert Shaw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 1, 2022 1:20 AM

How many remember...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 1, 2022 1:37 AM

R54, Julia Louis-Dreyfus' father is part of the Dreyfus investment fortune. Richard Dreyfuss' family - numerous professions, nothing that led to fortune.

by Anonymousreply 57August 1, 2022 1:38 AM

I remember "Inserts." A good movie. And Dreyfuss did a REALLY good job of sucking Jessica Harper's tits.

by Anonymousreply 58August 1, 2022 2:32 AM

Did you see it on the big screen, r58?

by Anonymousreply 59August 1, 2022 3:32 AM

The unappealing stumpy Dreyfuss is just another iteration of Eli Herschel Wallach.

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2022 3:46 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 61July 5, 2023 1:41 AM

As a gayling, I loved Mr. Holland’s Opus.

Doubt I could sit through even 15 minutes of it as an adult.

Beyond that I have no opinion of the man.

by Anonymousreply 62July 5, 2023 1:46 AM

He was also in That Girl and Gidget (the TV series).

by Anonymousreply 63July 5, 2023 1:47 AM

I liked him in Close Encounters.

by Anonymousreply 64July 5, 2023 2:08 AM

Meh soso actor, but hideous personality

by Anonymousreply 65July 5, 2023 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!