Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First death. Spain.

[quote]Spain confirms Europe's first-known monkeypox-related death of current outbreak.

[quote]Monkeypox can be transmitted from person to person through close physical contact, including sexual intercourse, and is caused by the monkeypox virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 31, 2022 4:00 PM

That’s sad, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2022 9:00 PM

Second death reported today (first one was in Brazil) and the health ministry there provided more information:

[quote]The Brazilian victim was a 41-year-old man who, according to the health ministry, also suffered from lymphoma and a weakened immune system.

"The comorbidities aggravated his condition," the ministry said, adding the patient was hospitalized in the southeastern city of Belo Horizonte and died from septic shock after being taken to the intensive care unit.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2022 9:01 PM

I just saw a video from a scientist that said MonkeyPox has a 5%-10% death rate and they are trying to play it down.

But we shall see.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2022 9:02 PM

OP is worse than Franco.

Mi Caudillo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2022 9:06 PM

That was posted by me too - both times they were rejected or so I thought. Didnt know why.

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2022 10:51 PM

Gross picture but still won't put whores off screwing around.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2022 11:20 PM

Sitges?

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2022 11:20 PM

How sexy.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2022 11:42 PM

Doesn’t it look eerily similar to karposi ?

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2022 12:11 AM

R9- Yes, it really does.

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2022 12:18 AM

A good plot twist for the inevitable Almodovar film starring Penelope Cruz as the owner of the gay sauna where the first 2022 cases popped up (pardon my pun).

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2022 12:23 AM

Triggered!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2022 12:39 AM

R3, he’s right. In the Central Africa, where the disease is endemic, it has up to a 11% fatality rate.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2022 1:23 AM

R13 yes. She (it was a woman) said the media claims around 1% of people who get it die but it’s more like 10%.

The minimum would be 5%, but not 1% like they’re claiming.

Also, it is a disease that lives in animals in certain parts of Africa and most likely got transmitted to a human by eating that animal.

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2022 1:34 AM

R14- China wet market?

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2022 1:38 AM

[quote]most likely got transmitted to a human by eating that animal.

No idea why you savages won't listen to reason.

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2022 1:38 AM

She also said like the USA, it’s almost only gay men who have it throughout Europe, and their cases are rapidly climbing daily. Someone (or some people) brought it from Europe to the states and the rest is History.

She spoke to people who’ve had it and they all say the same thing, it’s the most painful thing they’ve ever felt. It isn’t just itchy or burning like some media outlets claimed, it’s full on agony, and it almost always covers your face, hands and feet, so you can’t do much because it hurts so much. It can also leave permanent scarring all over your face, but doesn’t always happen.

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2022 1:44 AM

It gets much worse:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2022 1:55 AM

R18☝️- Rectal pain and penis swelling.

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2022 1:57 AM

R9, Karposi sores were larger and not uniformed in size.

A horrible memory. May those we lost RIP.

Fuck. I remember it like it was yesterday, & it makes me get teary eyed.

We lost so many AMAZING people to AIDS.

Get vaxxed, girls!

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2022 2:07 AM

R20- It was heartbreaking. I was just starting my nursing career and I remember how very grateful I was to Princess Diana for touching AIDS patients without wearing a glove. Those poor men needed to be comforted but everyone was too terrified of getting infected by them. No matter what flaws she had I will always respect her for doing that.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2022 2:11 AM

R16 It ain't from eating exactly. It's the large scaled livestock rearing that allows animal virus a lot of opportunity to infect a lot of hosts, mutate and jump into other species including humans who come into close contact. If it were so easy to jump over from animal to human in a "wet market", the virus would have jumped over to become a human virus a long time ago. There's certain barriers to go from one species to another that requires some genetic changes over time and readily available hosts. For every virus that successfully cross over to human, there would also be others that failed.

by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2022 2:15 AM

Same here, R21.

I will always love Diana for lifting the veil.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2022 2:23 AM

R23- ♥️

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2022 2:27 AM

Aww, R24. Thank you. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2022 2:33 AM

R25- 😘

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2022 2:42 AM

Anti vaxxer conspiracy theory is that the vaccine triggered aids symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2022 2:42 AM

Stop spreading the bullshit, R27.

You know what’s up & what you are doing.

Grow a heart.

It truly isn’t OK to fuck people over this way.

It’s not.

Be a better person. Don’t let yourself fall into the pit of deception & despair.

Please. Try to understand that what you are doing is genuinely hurting others.

by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2022 3:09 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2022 3:17 AM

R27, they are fucking morons. Of the very worst kind.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2022 3:18 AM

They are saying the lesions come back again after a few days

by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2022 3:25 AM

can I ask a (likely stupid) question without getting yelled at?

As this is currently in the gay community, does PREP have any effect on it? Conversely, does HIV (on antiretrovirals?)

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2022 3:58 AM

Are anal lesions reserved for those who contract the virus from sexual activity? Or will my celibate self also be clutching my buttocks and writhing in pain if I get it?

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2022 3:58 AM

Interesting article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 30, 2022 4:06 AM

NYC now emergency

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 30, 2022 4:18 AM

R32, I doubt HIV meds will have any effect -- the viruses are too different from each other.

by Anonymousreply 36July 30, 2022 4:57 AM

This will spread just the way AIDS did. It is dangerous to the public for them to label this as only a risk for the gay community is disingenuous and dangerous in my opinion. Everyone should be cautious and take precautions but heterosexuals will think they have nothing to worry about when they really do.

by Anonymousreply 37July 30, 2022 5:05 AM

thank you r36

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2022 5:06 AM

Uh oh…..

by Anonymousreply 39July 30, 2022 5:08 AM

Seems like something you can actually pick up from a toilet seat or a tractor.

by Anonymousreply 40July 30, 2022 5:10 AM

How do you KNOW R30?

by Anonymousreply 41July 30, 2022 5:21 AM

R28 also seems to be very sure.

by Anonymousreply 42July 30, 2022 5:23 AM

I thought Kaposi's (not Karposi) lesions were flat and (generally) not painful. These pox look like black holes.

by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2022 5:40 AM

R40 No, the virus is very unlikely to be transmitted through surfaces, gym equipment, light switches, door knobs, public transport, etc.

To get it, you need to have prolonged, close/intimate contact with an infected person. Think of kissing, sex, sleeping together, et cetera.

by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2022 7:28 AM

Genuine question. How many deaths will it take before gay guys decide to take some responsibility for their actions. We've known for some time how dangerous this disease is and how it is spread but over the past few weeks we've had reams of stories from promiscuous guys catching it at after sauna sessions, group sessions etc. This is not going away. Most people respected social distancing and lockdowns during Covid, why not take responsibility for one's own health now?

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2022 8:00 AM

[quote]Most people respected social distancing and lockdowns during Covid

Mostly because most places were shut down and people were locked in their homes.

And all the scaremongering was full on, all day long.

Also younger people were getting covid like crazy and recovering. I had covid twice. It was nothing like monkeypox seems to be.

by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2022 8:07 AM

"It was nothing like monkeypox seems to be."

And yet here we are with guys totally putting themselves and others at risk.

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2022 8:14 AM

It winds me up when people cry sex-negativity and slut-shaming when the risks of high numbers of sexual partners are pointed out. (That goes for straight people, too - I've been on forums where women get offended at the suggestion that they should get an STI test after unprotected casual sex.). Biology isn't woke. It doesn't give a what humans think. A virus won't think, "I won't infect this person, it's not my place to judge, I wouldn't want to be accused of slut-shaming..."

by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2022 8:37 AM

It's called monkey pox because that's the animal that we first noticed it in. It's part of the orthopoxvirus family of diseases and they're all named after the animal we first noticed it in but it isn't necessarily its most frequent host. For example, cowpox is most rapidly spread in cats, whose fleas then infect other animals in the barns they live in, such as cows, but cows aren't the optimal host for cow pox. Monkey pox can infect a wide range of mammalian species including many rodents and may have been transmitted to humans from bites, scratches or even fleas - not necessarily from eating them.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2022 8:45 AM

Brazil too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2022 9:18 AM

Isn't that the same case?

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2022 9:20 AM

No, r51:

"Brazil on Friday reported the first monkeypox-related death outside the African continent in the current outbreak, shortly before Spain confirmed Europe's first known death in the outbreak later in the day."

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2022 9:25 AM

The media seems to be hyping it up, whereas I'm thinking the fact it's taken so long for the first death shows the illness is pretty mild for the majority of people.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2022 9:37 AM

R53, a lot of the cases don’t seem “mild”, though, they seem to involve a lot of pain. That’s awful by itself.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2022 11:29 AM

R54- I wonder if there are long term effects such as we have with covid, other than scarring?

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2022 12:49 PM

R53, or virus is mutating?

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2022 2:17 PM

R53 mild? Every person describes it as pure excruciating pain. That’s not mild.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2022 2:23 PM

[quote][R54]- I wonder if there are long term effects such as we have with covid, other than scarring?

forget Covid. Covid is a day at the beach in comparison to this.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2022 2:51 PM

Second death Spain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2022 2:51 PM

MARIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2022 3:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2022 3:09 PM

☝🏼 This is the perfect time to go abstinent.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2022 3:12 PM

Sexual spread was a confirmed method of transmission a while ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2022 3:15 PM

Or just know who you’re having sex with r62

Some of the comments I’ve read ring true. Too many gay men are acting like it’s impossible to not sleep around with strangers…. At least for a while until this is over. If gay men stopped sleeping around it would stop spreading. But they act like they can’t. You aren’t an animal.

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2022 3:15 PM

r64 Some of them, legit, have a sexual compulsion problem and/or addiction. It's usually tied to poor mental health and self-image.

God forbid you tell someone with this problem to consider seeking help, though.

by Anonymousreply 65July 30, 2022 3:19 PM

[quote]It winds me up when people cry sex-negativity and slut-shaming when the risks of high numbers of sexual partners are pointed out.

Take right here at DL, for example then. Every time anything remotely connected with gay men having a lot of sex appears and the trolls just come out of the woodwork to screech about it, which is exactly why healthcare professionals (at least those without an agenda) refuse to slut shame. It's easy to stand on a puritanical platform and tell others that [italic]their[/italic] behavior brought this on themselves. It's true, it did.

But blaming them for it — as though they were fully informed that there was a novel virus going around — only shoves them (back) into the closet. It further makes the men who should be aware of this risk get defensive and hide to avoid ridicule.. And yes, as of today, we know how this virus spreads. But two months ago, or even just a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't so clear and aside from the usual shaming and blaming there was no effort to reach out to the gay community to inform them — us — of the added risk. Combined with an incubation period of somewhere between 12 days and 3 weeks, and you have a recipe for an outbreak that could rise to the level of a pandemic, particularly given our ability to move around with ease and the pent-up demand for what we consider a normal lifestyle including travel and entertainment.

Let's cut each other some slack and stop judging the men who have contracted this awful virus. Calling them sluts and blaming them for this virus spreading outside Africa isn't going to stop the spread nor lessen the impact. Telling gay men to curtail their sexual encounters, get immunized if they're in a high risk group, and treating each other with a little compassion is going to go a long way to solve the problem.

Besides, we get enough shit from the rightwing radicals who are just looking for another way to demonize anyone other than straight white christian men.

by Anonymousreply 66July 30, 2022 3:28 PM

[quote]But blaming them for it — as though they were fully informed that there was a novel virus going around — only shoves them (back) into the closet

It's not exactly a "novel" idea that being promiscuous raises ones risk of contracting and spreading disease.

Promiscuity has always been a problem. If anything, MPX is just exploiting ongoing human stupidity and recklessness.

by Anonymousreply 67July 30, 2022 3:44 PM

You don't understand my use of the word "novel", R67.

by Anonymousreply 68July 30, 2022 4:54 PM

Sorry, but this isn't 40+ years ago. Information is spread in the time it takes to blink your eye and you have access to it just as quickly. Whereas gay men back then simply did not know, nor did we have the research to understand AIDS, the monkeypox thing seems pretty cut and dry. If you have sex with people you don't know, there's a good chance you're going to get this. Very simple to understand, and we are far more educated and savvy. So to say- oh, you're slut shaming... nope. If you're going to be obstinate and fuck indiscriminately right now knowing all you know, my sympathy is out the window.

by Anonymousreply 69July 30, 2022 5:00 PM

One of the first problems with AIDS was they were unable to test people to see if they had it. Once they could test, it was a very big headline. In NYC, at least.

I wonder how long you carry it before the symptoms start showing. Can you test for it?

by Anonymousreply 70July 30, 2022 5:13 PM

Surely in this day and age there are powerful drugs that help you deal with MOST of the pain.

by Anonymousreply 71July 30, 2022 5:18 PM

R70, right now they can only test for it if you have lesions. It can take up to several weeks before the first symptoms appear, and the first symptoms are often not lesions but a nebulous, flu-like tiredness, swollen lymph nodes, etc. During the time of those early symptoms it is possible to transmit the infection.

by Anonymousreply 72July 30, 2022 5:22 PM

Is it "shaming" to tell someone you care about to be careful?

Is it "shaming" if you tell your mother that you're worried about her heavy smoking? Or if you tell your best friend that you're concerned that his drinking is getting out of control?

To me, that's a sign of love and care. We should love and care for one another enough to have the difficult conversations, and be honest when behavior is putting us at risk. There's no shame -- viruses don't distinguish between good and bad people. Let's try to look out for one another.

by Anonymousreply 73July 30, 2022 5:30 PM

R71 keep downplaying this. You need help.

by Anonymousreply 74July 30, 2022 5:50 PM

r71 needs to look at some of the graphic pictures now emerging of the pox: I saw one on anus - holy shit - and I saw a series taken over 7 days of what the pox did to one infected dick - and I'm not just talking about the gaping holes all over. The swelling deformed it over the course of the infection, turning it - hopefully temporarily - into a huge red stumpy mushroom covered in holes. Not going to post them here because they're that bad.

I can't believe anyone would take the risk to whore around during this thing. It's fucking terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 75July 30, 2022 9:51 PM

You can cure a number of medical conditions, you can't cure stupid.

by Anonymousreply 76July 31, 2022 8:39 AM

So you're all turning on the promiscuous ones. Not everyone who's got this is promiscuous. Same with AIDS. But I guess we need a scapegoat.

by Anonymousreply 77July 31, 2022 8:48 AM

R77 Yep exactly. You only need to have sex/very close contact with an infected person once to get it. And there'll no doubt be cases where someone gets it off their partner who's played away. So even those who are 'angelic' and having sex with the same person regularly could get it. Yet they'll be shamed, too, if this thread is anything to go by.

by Anonymousreply 78July 31, 2022 9:25 AM

R77 and R78= orgy whores

by Anonymousreply 79July 31, 2022 3:41 PM

Amateurs. The only way to truly stay safe is to keep a private harem. That way you can swap all the fluids with your whores and they’ll stay clean. All great men throughout history have gone this route.

by Anonymousreply 80July 31, 2022 4:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!