Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Creed Worth $400 A Bottle?

Ok Amazon it's AT LEAST that amount. Is it crazy to have a cologne that expensive? Is it worth it to order?

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2022 4:07 AM

No cologne is worth $400 a bottle to anyone who isn't a sucker or has a clue about value/values.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2022 8:01 PM

As with seemingly everything else, I've notice cologne prices have been rising to astronomical levels. Last year, my nephew requested some scent for a Xmas gift and it was over $200. Crazy that something comprised of mostly alcohol and water is so expensive.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2022 8:01 PM

I think Creed's especially expensive because it's entirely handmade with rare ingredients. I don't know if it's worth it

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2022 8:08 PM

That's more than a lot of life-saving medications. I'll be you can find a cologne you can stand to wear for a lot less. Donate the rest of that money to someone who needs it.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2022 9:00 PM

Found an Eau de Parfum (not even Parfum) for $900 with only 3 left in stock!

This Creed must really be something great

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2022 10:05 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2022 10:08 PM

No. Find a friend in retail and get samples.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2022 10:10 PM

I used to wear it in the 90s and it wasn't anywhere close to that expensive. I can't believe it's gone up so much.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2022 10:10 PM

Just wear Chanel Antaeus and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2022 10:12 PM

Jeff Fucking Bezos is out of control

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2022 10:13 PM

Terrible band. Wouldn't give a dime for it.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2022 10:14 PM

Oh r9 that one is $139, for the Eau de Toilette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2022 10:15 PM

Is Aventus worth the hype?

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2022 10:16 PM

Great link, OP

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2022 10:17 PM

Why not try Helenesque? You can get a bottle for under a fin!

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2022 10:20 PM

My bad, r14 . This is the one I was eyeing, heard a lot of good things about it. Shocked when I saw that price and was really contemplating whether it was worth it. Knew DL would be brutally honest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2022 10:20 PM

I don’t have an opinion on the price, but def don’t buy it in Amazon, the land of knockoffs. If you want authentic, you’re gonna have to go to a legit outlet.

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2022 10:22 PM

I like Grey Flannel.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2022 10:25 PM

Aventus is nice, but not at that price.

First of all, you never want to buy high-end niche fragrances like Creed or Roja from amazon: you just won't get a good price. I would try shopping elsewhere like jomashop or fragrancenet , which often have better deals (although not always from those perfume houses).

Finally, there are some superb Aventus clones, probably the best of which is Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man. Armaf uses superb ingredients, and they get very, very close to the Creed formula (you cannot copyright a perfume's notes, and so the better knock-off houses like Armaf and Alexandria can get you very close to the real thing without having to pay the heavy brand-name price). Armaf bottles are nice and heavy and even have expensive magnetic tops, but they're much cheaper. You can buy a 3.6 oz. bottle of Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man for $33.49 right now on amazon;

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2022 10:27 PM

Horribly douchey brand. Total bullshit marketing and history. Crap quality ingredients (despite what all the fanboys say.) Wildly overpriced like Roja Dove, but there will always be gullible fuckers who think expensive = quality.

There are far more interesting and affordable niche brands with better quality products.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2022 10:28 PM

Brands like what r20?

Thanks, r19, will check it out.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2022 10:32 PM

R21 There are so many. It really depends on what kind of scent you're after.

Etat Libre d"Orange do really interesting and experimental fragrances but they're also very wearable. Some others - Annick Goutal, Serge Lutins, Miller Harris, Arquiste.

I also stand by some of the bigger brands - Guerlain is a fantastic house. Dior has some great scents in its regular and high-end lines, too. Etro, also.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2022 10:44 PM

They sell it at Saks. If you like the scent, it's worth the price

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2022 11:03 PM

When I worked at national retailer with physical and online presence whose name sounds like Snowstorm, Creed was the #1 mens cologne in lost delivery claims, i received an empty box, my bottle was empty upon arrival, stolen off my doorstep claims. If you know Snowstorm, you know they replaced the "missing" cologne.

The #1 women's beauty product in the same vane was LeMer .

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2022 11:17 PM

Who wears cologne anymore except ghetto bottom feeders and Arabs/Indians?

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2022 12:02 AM

I've never smelled Aventus but have a bottle of CdNI. The opening blast smells like Lemon Pledge, but it's really nice once it settles.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2022 4:33 AM

R25 You might be hanging out with the wrong people.

It's been a high-growth market for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2022 8:53 AM

Your first problem is looking on Amazon. Any fragrance that has been discontinued, but is coveted, will go for a higher price. I don’t know if that’s the case here, either way, eBay is always a better option than Amazon. You can’t even trust that Amazon sellers are sending you the real thing for $5 shampoos and hand cream.

Nordstrom, Neiman and Bloomingdales carry Creed fragrances as do trusted online fragrance shops. Let’s say Neiman has it - you sign up for Rakuten and wait for it to go on sale during a Beauty event or a major holiday (there’s probably alerts you can set up on the website if you have an account). Connecting to Neiman through Rakuten you purchase the fragrance at the sale price and get cash back through Rakuten, sometimes as much as 11-16%. Trusted source, sale price, money back.

Lastly, if you don’t want to fully commit to the price, you can always buy a decanted sample from a selection of sizes. Once you’ve had it on for several weeks you can make a better judgment regarding this particular fragrance is worth the investment. Maybe try a selection of scents to see which is better suited for you. Purchasing fragrance can be a fun experience if you value how it makes you feel wearing it and how you are received by others.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2022 11:22 AM

Why are gays so enamored with cologne? Many just bathe in it and it has become a stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2022 2:47 PM

R29 This is just as true with straight guys. Think of all those stinking body sprays, too.

Cologne should be worn with a bit of restraint. It should only be noticed up close, not three rooms away.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2022 2:50 PM

I get my cologne at the dollar store. $1.25 + tax. Really, you have to be some kind of stupid turd to spend that on stink water.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2022 2:52 PM

Aventus is like bergamot pinesol.

Wanna smell butch, get a bottle of Cacharel for men if you like Aventus.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2022 2:54 PM

[QUOTE]Who wears cologne anymore except ghetto bottom feeders and Arabs/Indians?

There’s always an ignorant country bumpkin in every fragrance thread, and here you are. Many people appreciate quality fragrance and the craftsmanship behind them. If you don’t know, you don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2022 3:10 PM

What quality fragrance should I wear for Costco?

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2022 3:20 PM

R34 Crisco!

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2022 3:48 PM

L'Eau d'Issey is my go to fragrance right now and a 3oz bottle is like $40 bucks

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2022 3:52 PM

But how much cologne is too much? If people can smell it on you aren't you wearing too much? Also it's become an issue in offices where people claim they have allergies and have allergic reactions to scents other people wear.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2022 4:01 PM

Irish Tweed is sublime.

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2022 4:05 PM

Is their entire history just made up? According to Wikipedia:

[quote]James Henry Creed supposedly founded the House of Creed in London in 1760 as a tailoring establishment, however, the earliest evidence of Creed's existence hark from the late 1960s or early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2022 4:10 PM

R39 Yes, totally made up, and they weren't even a fragrance company when they first registered as a business. I think they made leather goods.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2022 4:21 PM

Creed is priceless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2022 4:46 PM

For me it is! Creed Aventus is my go-to fragrance. I usually buy the smallest bottle available, but sometimes I splurge for the $400+ version.

by Anonymousreply 42July 27, 2022 4:48 PM

I love the Aventus scent, but haven't ever owned it. I'm just now finishing a bottle of Kenneth Cole's Black, and typically wear Aramis or Green Polo in colder weather. I haven't decided what my next high ticket scent will be. But it won't likely be Aventus, because it's just too damned expensive.

by Anonymousreply 43July 27, 2022 8:08 PM

[quote] Who wears cologne anymore except ghetto bottom feeders and Arabs/Indians?

Dear, we'll of course have to take your word regarding the ghetto bottom feeders. That's your milieu, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 44July 27, 2022 11:00 PM

Creed's invented faux-history is a gigantic joke among the fragrance community. They claim they sold a rose perfume to Queen Victoria that didn't even exist when she was alive.

They do have some wonderful perfumes, but they are enormously overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 45July 27, 2022 11:02 PM

[quote]But how much cologne is too much? If people can smell it on you aren't you wearing too much?

Let's see what the legendary VOGUE Magazine editor Diana Vreeland said to George Plympton when he asked about it when helping her write her memoirs, "D.V.":

[quote] There’s a whole school now that says that the scent must be faint. This is [italic]ridiculous.[/italic] I’m speaking from the experience of a [italic]lifetime.[/italic] I always carry purse scent – that way I’m never without it. Do you notice any scent on me now? Don’t come any closer – if you have to [italic]sniff[/italic] like a [italic]hound,[/italic] it’s not enough!

by Anonymousreply 46July 27, 2022 11:06 PM

Pretentious gay problem.

by Anonymousreply 47July 27, 2022 11:08 PM

Whom do I have to fuck to get a bottle of this!

by Anonymousreply 48July 27, 2022 11:32 PM

Here's what I do when I want freebies of shit like this:

1. Go to Sephora and get a sample....usually they make their own samples and they are much bigger than normal samples 2. Go to another Sephora and repeat 3. I directly email company's customer service or call and request a sample by mail

Gives you enough to decide if I want to buy

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2022 3:37 AM

[quote]Creed's invented faux-history is a gigantic joke among the fragrance community. They claim they sold a rose perfume to Queen Victoria that didn't even exist when she was alive.

They claim to have created this one for the Empress Sissi of Austria in 1862.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2022 7:34 AM

First, I would never buy from Amazon. There are several fragrances that are widely copied and if you don't know you're stuff, you're likely to fall for a fake. Creed is one of em. (Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce and Versace Eros are also widely faked)

There are reputable companies that sell at a discount. If you have money just buy from a department store. Notice you can usually only buy the 4oz from Nordstrom. Creed starts at 1oz bottles so get the smallest one and see how long it takes to use it. There are online dealers who are reputable and sell at a discount. Fragrancex and perfumenet are reputable.

Also do your homework. Dua Brand has a copy of Aventus called POSEIDON that is known to be great and very close--so close Dua releases fragrances meant to copy the variations on different batches of Aventus (Yes, they smell somewhat different by batch). And Club De Nuit Milestone runs about $40 and is famous among fragrance youtubers for being indistinguishable from my favorite creed, Imperial Millisime.

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2022 8:19 AM

Thank you r51 . This is why I like DL, I know you bitches know how to get a good bargain!

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2022 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!