Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anybody like Panettone?

Somebody gave me one last Christmas and I stick it in the freezer. Just found and wondering with to do with it. Does anybody really eat these things? Or, are they like the fruitcake that nobody wants?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2024 5:17 AM

I hated the bitch and couldn't wait to leave Nashville.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2022 2:02 PM

Yes i love it, both the traditional one and the ones with different flavours.

In Italy we eat it only at Christmas and during those holydays.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2022 2:03 PM

I love it. But it has to be made with butter. Check the ingredients. If they are not few and simple and including butter, chuck it.

How to eat it? - slice it and toast lightly and use cream cheese. Maybe some honey. It can also be made into French toast, like brioche. Its an Italian version of brioche.

It is very light. Not at all a fruitcake.

The kind with chocolate is not my fav. Just some fruits. If you must have one with chocolate, it has to be a high quality panettone for the chocolate to be possibly tasty.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2022 2:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2022 2:10 PM

I loathe anything with raisins or other "candied" fruit in it.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2022 3:02 PM

Whop Fruitcake.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2022 3:42 PM

Fruitcake?

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2022 3:58 PM

The chocolate ones Trader Joe's sells are delicious, but they're not very authentic.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2022 4:01 PM

Look, your grandmother and your aunts and I have been working like dogs in the downstairs kitchen cooking, baking, and making this a beautiful Panettone for you...now you gonna eat and you gonna like it!

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2022 4:06 PM

The commercial one I had imported to the US tasted like pillow stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2022 4:10 PM

Hey y'all, it's panettone time!

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2023 4:30 PM

Give me Pandoro cake over Panettone any day.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2023 4:35 PM

I'm going to get a mini one at the store later. I toast it and put butter on it so that takes care of "is it made with butter or not" question posed by r3.

I really wanted a piece of fruitcake the other day (strange, right?) but this will have to do.

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2023 4:38 PM

Seriously, I get a panettone every year only because of Coco Peru. It seems like a better tradition than fruitcake.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2023 4:40 PM

[quote]downstairs kitchen

Only a true Italian would know about this. My nonna and ma both had a "downstairs" kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2023 4:41 PM

Like fruitcake it’s only edible if done right and most bakeries do them wrong - dry and tasteless.

Fruitcake. The Deluxe Fruitcake from the Collin Street Bakery located in Texas. Is the best fruitcake I’ve ever eaten. It’s been bought yearly by me and my family my entire life. Christmas would not be Christmas without one of their Deluxe Fruitcakes.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2023 4:44 PM

My Irish-Catholic ass knew, r15. My father learned to cook from his next-door neighbor in New Jersey, who was from Napoli. And Italian became our food tradition.

I'm going to order a Pandoro, though. I hate candied frutti.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2023 4:47 PM

I liked her in heroes and that was about it.

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2023 4:48 PM

I've bought several from Trader Joe's™ over the years and have enjoyed them: soft, fluffy, not overly fruity and moist. I like it thickly sliced, smeared with butter and orange marmalade. A cup of tea and I'm good to go.

Have also given many as part of a hostess gift when I'm invited to someone's home, and they have always been well-received.

The mini-size are perfect for a quick snack. They could serve as TWO snacks, but let's be honest ..... 🤫

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2023 4:48 PM

It isn't like fruitcake to me. Actual fruitcake is very heavy with dense flavours. It's more like a light bread/cake with some fruit.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2023 4:54 PM

Years ago as a young and poor assistant, I gifted my manager a panettone for Christmas.

He was fired six months later for being drunk on the job and when cleaning out his desk, I found the unopened panettone in his desk drawer.

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2023 4:55 PM

I love it,and I could eat it every day so I have to restrict myself. Warmed up and slathered with butter.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2023 4:57 PM

I hate it with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2023 5:09 PM

r20 You are correct, panettone is basically a brioche dough. I'm amazed that they can stay as soft as they are, and mold-free, for several months in their cardboard castle. I don't want to know what preservatives are in them, if there are in fact any. Ignorance can be sweet bliss. 🤗

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2023 8:20 PM

Can your re-gift it?

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2023 8:33 PM

[quote]Give me Pandoro cake over Panettone any day.

Panforte is good too. I made it once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2023 11:43 PM

I can't say I love it, but it does bring back memories. We always had it at Christmas. Traditionally it's baked in a flower pot. My mom made a pretty good one, then she would hollow it out and stuff it with spumoni and freeze it.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2023 12:59 AM

[quote]Years ago as a young and poor assistant, I gifted my manager a panettone for Christmas. He was fired six months later for being drunk on the job and when cleaning out his desk, I found the unopened panettone in his desk drawer.

It's like an O.Henry Christmas story.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2023 1:31 AM

Did you eat it, R21?

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2023 1:39 AM

R21 Left his office that evening with the panettone under his arm...and who does he see sitting on the sidewalk begging for food? His ex-manager.

R21 paused, he opened the panettone, tore off a piece, popped it in his mouth ....and kept right on walking.

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2023 1:55 AM

I like panettone. My husband loves it could eat a small one every day. For most of about 45 days each year we have one at hand.

There are many excellent choices where I live, and quite inexpensive (with a few exceptions.) The best bakery in the city cannot keep up with demand.

As mentioned, it's a light, airy bread, not super dense like most dreaded holiday fruitcakes and the fruitcakes of my childhood with the horrible waxen candied fruit in florid colors. And panettone lends itself well to a lightly toasted breakfast bread, playing on its brioche-lije qualities.

The orange and raisin is the popular one. Chocolate and some of the other flavors have less appeal for me, though I do like some varieties with an injection of pistachio creme - a less sweet version of the pistachio creme in Italian pastries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2023 2:07 AM

absolutely delicious, and actually not as calorific as cake. also love pandoro, a related holiday bread but a bit smoother in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2023 2:16 AM

There’s a traditional Italian bakery where I live that makes them every year and once you’ve had a “fresh” panettone the store-bought versions are a fail.

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2023 2:24 AM

R31 The Fornasetti panettone with that box would be a very chic gift.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2023 3:04 AM

I'd eat a homemade fresh one, the store bought ones looks dry as hell so I've never tried it.

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2023 3:05 AM

No, this is how you get a bunch of normal people fucking up a dessert.

I saw it happen with soda bread. Numerous people started pushing their fucked up “generations old” manna from lucky charms jesus at unsuspecting people.

by Anonymousreply 36December 15, 2023 3:14 AM

First I grab my culinary tweezers and pick out all of the raisins. Then I flick the raisins out of my window, on to my neighbor's balcony. Then I throw the panettone in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 37December 15, 2023 3:20 AM

I have a friend (yes, a flaming homo like me) who makes French toast out of it on Christmas morning. It's delicious that way.

by Anonymousreply 38December 15, 2023 3:24 AM

R37, or you could light it on fire.

by Anonymousreply 39December 15, 2023 3:31 AM

My neighbor Ruth makes Panettone and fruitcake (she uses brandy with the fruitcake). My old neighbor from East Falls Mrs. Di Cenza makes Fruitcake from Irish Whiskey in springform pans, plus Panettones and Panforte in sugar, chocolate and Marzipan. I fly back to Philly Sunday night& back on Wednesday.

I am glad to go back and see Mrs. Di Cenza, the last friend of my moms who is still alive, healthy as a horse(think its the 2 glasses of Irish every night-full glasses). Thanks R38, never thought of that-great idea (love French toast).

by Anonymousreply 40December 15, 2023 3:39 AM

Yes, I like them sometimes, just had a mini one today.

by Anonymousreply 41December 15, 2023 4:22 AM

Panettone are difficult to make, but delicious. I have used mine to make a french toast casserole for Christmas brunch. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 42December 15, 2023 4:37 AM

It’s not cake, it’s not bread. Plus raisins. Pasadena. I am going to attempt a pandoro this year.

by Anonymousreply 43December 15, 2023 4:47 AM

[quote] Years ago as a young and poor assistant, I gifted my manager a panettone for Christmas. He was fired six months later for being drunk on the job and when cleaning out his desk, I found the unopened panettone in his desk drawer.

This is a good story.

A. Your manager should have been buying you a gift, not vice-versa.

B. He was probably focused on drinking, not eating. He stuck the loaf in a drawer, maybe thinking he might eat it, some day.

C. Not everyone like panettone. But I get it. He was your boss and you were trying to buy him something nice.

by Anonymousreply 44December 15, 2023 4:53 AM

I received a gift of a classic panettone from Eataly. It was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2023 4:54 AM

I sent a tweet to Coco Peru once suggesting she records Macarena as Panettone but she never replied.

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2023 9:10 AM

I've seen this item next to the pound cake at Dollar Tree.

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2023 9:30 AM

I saw a coffee shop stacked high with them this week. There is no way they will sell them before Christmas. I can’t help but feel Panettone is an Italian scam, much like fake olive oil.

We did have a nice panettone in Naples. It was filled with limoncello curd.

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2023 9:39 AM

R38 and R42 are on to something. Try making it into a bread pudding. That could be delicious.

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2023 10:56 AM

What a coincidence. I just had a mini one last night. The kind in a yellow box I would never buy. It was a gift and it was good! Like a sweet yeast roll with a little dried fruit.

by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2023 6:56 PM

Dip that shit in coffee yo. It’s hella good.

by Anonymousreply 51December 15, 2023 7:46 PM

It would probably be good buttered and then fried / toasted in a pan.

by Anonymousreply 52December 15, 2023 10:16 PM

I’d rather eat dog shit!

by Anonymousreply 53December 15, 2023 10:17 PM

Help yourself, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54December 15, 2023 10:55 PM

R50 I think they call it an enriched dough.

by Anonymousreply 55December 16, 2023 12:07 AM

100% needs to be lightly toasted and thickly spread with high quality butter. Cold its just ugghh, but the minute you toast it there is this magical metamorphosis.

by Anonymousreply 56December 16, 2023 12:17 AM

Never tried

by Anonymousreply 57December 16, 2023 12:22 AM

Great as French toast. Soak it in batter overnight and bake it the next morning. 😋

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2023 12:41 AM

Does it really need to be soaked overnight? I guess it depends on how you like it.

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2023 12:51 AM

I'm always eager to find out what their Color of the Year will be.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2023 12:57 AM

Didn't read the whole thread but yes I love it. Slice it thin and toast it with butter. This is a medieval thing that has come down to us through the centuries. I think most people are turned off by the shape and packaging really.

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2023 12:58 AM

Panettone is too dry for me - or at least all the ones I've ever had were dry.

I love a good fruitcake, however. English Christmas pudding is also good though not as good as fruitcake. I'm also a fan of traditional English wedding cake.

by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2023 1:06 AM

Panettone is popular in lusophone communities as well.

by Anonymousreply 63December 16, 2023 2:58 AM

The traditional English Christmas cake seems so similar to our Fruitcake. I thought the fruit in a panettone was soaked in something alcoholic, like brandy? I think the authentic ones are.All I know is it is pretty easy to store and it seems to last forever.

by Anonymousreply 64December 16, 2023 3:48 AM

US fruitcake is essentially an English recipe.

by Anonymousreply 65December 16, 2023 4:04 AM

[quote]It would probably be good buttered and then fried / toasted in a pan.

STOP... you're going to bring me to orgasm... ohhhh...

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2023 4:51 AM

My dad was a bread man and we used to give huge rounds to our friends for Christmas. It was a nice tradition and brings back fond memories delivering them with my dad.

Try it toasted with butter.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2023 4:57 AM

R64, there's room for what you know about panettone atop the head of a pin, already a dance floor for 1000 angels

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2023 7:31 AM

I’d throw that right off of my balcony, even in the middle of a famine outbreak, while warbling a vintage operetta.

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2023 7:47 AM

Scotland here. My first boyfriend was Scots-Italian, and he introduced me to Italian Christmas food traditions. I’ve had a fondness for it ever since. I much prefer it to Christmas pudding, which is too heavy for me.

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2023 7:52 AM

Anything that makes Coco Peru happy, makes me happy. I adore that bitch. The panettone is just a bit of frosting on Cocos Cakes.

Reminder below about her mother staying at her cozy home until she shuffles off to Buffalo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2023 8:06 AM

R16

I’ve been to Collin Street Bakery in Waco once (I bought those delicious lemony cookies with the confectioners sugar that somehow taste cold) and I used to see their fruitcake ads in the New Yorker. Glad to hear they really are good because they’re legendary.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2023 8:12 AM

Yum.

by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2023 8:13 AM

Needs more brown filling.

Know wot I mean?!

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2023 11:55 AM

Does Patti Lupone like pannetone?

by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2023 12:48 PM

When I was a kid my mom used to make it around Christmastime. It traditionally is baked in a flowerpot. She used to hollow out the middle and stuff it with Spumoni, then freeze it - then we would slice it up and put chocolate sauce on it. It was never my favorite, but it's a good memory .

by Anonymousreply 76February 1, 2024 9:17 PM

Fuck yes, OP. I love to make french toast with panettone, spreading it with orange marmalade before consumption. But I do not like chocolate versions. Give me the classic one, that is dotted with dried & candied fruit.

by Anonymousreply 77February 1, 2024 9:47 PM

Oh, and I only have it during the holiday season. I'd love to make different seasonal versions, though.

by Anonymousreply 78February 1, 2024 9:54 PM

I used it in bread pudding. It's delicious.

FTR - It's nothing like American fruitcake. Also, I think fruitcake is underrated. Good ones are delicious also.

by Anonymousreply 79February 1, 2024 9:59 PM

[quote]The Deluxe Fruitcake from the Collin Street Bakery located in Texas.

Their apricot pecan cake is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 80February 1, 2024 10:12 PM

It’s one of those ingredients they throw into the Chopped basket, or make someone use on Holiday Baking Championship as a “twist.”

“Bakers! It’s Christmas time and that means it’s time for …panettone! Each baker must come up, take a type of panettone and incorporate it into their entremet!”

by Anonymousreply 81February 1, 2024 10:42 PM

It was old lady food to me before Ms. Peru resurrected it. Now, it is holiday french toast.

by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2024 11:04 PM

Just the chocolate chip kind.

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote] "It's nothing like American fruitcake."

Correct, R79. Which is one of the reasons I love panettone. It's very much like brioche.

by Anonymousreply 84February 2, 2024 1:11 AM

The gay man's bread pudding.

by Anonymousreply 85February 12, 2024 5:34 AM

I reckon it's the Italian equivalent of Vegemite. If you're brought up on it you like it, otherwise you think, WTF?

by Anonymousreply 86February 12, 2024 6:03 AM

I cooked Panettone French Toast with Bacon, real Canadian bacon, eggs, and real Maple syrup for the BF's 3 younger children plus the adults for Super Bowl Sunday breakfast. It was "Fucking awesome." The kids loved it, I was amazed at how good it was!

by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2024 5:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!