Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Cagney

You never hear any gossip about him. He was extremely private. He married only once, and his two children became estranged from him by the end of his life. But I've never heard why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2022 6:44 PM

One of his first gigs was female impersonator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2022 5:42 AM

The Cagneys adopted two children, Jim Jr. and Kathleen (Casey); they grew up with nannies in a separate house from their parents. As the Cagneys aged, they saw less and less of their adult children and their four grandchildren, and there were eventually disputes over property. Jim Jr. died in 1984, two years before his father, who did not attend the funeral, and 10 years before his mother. Casey died in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2022 6:10 AM

I loved him in Cagney and Lacey.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2022 6:45 AM

R2 that's very strange. They adopted and then raised their kids with nannies in a different house?!

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2022 8:33 AM

Adopting children to advance your career is just so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2022 9:27 AM

There’s a good article about Cagney, which also discusses the children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2022 9:28 AM

Cagney's best film: Yankee Doddle Dandy. He was a great gangster and a surprisingly good dancer.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2022 9:40 AM

r6 makes no sense what happened to make the children estranged from their family

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2022 9:58 AM

Because he continually addressed them as "You dirty rats..."

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2022 10:20 AM

I avoid movies about gangsters and psychopaths but he was fun in Wilder's——

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2022 10:35 AM

The only gossip I remember hearing is the story from an old book, about the time he and another actress, I believe Merle Oberon, were traveling by train to a studio event, and she sneaked into his cabin and hid naked in his bed. He took her up on the offer. However, early in the session, she apparently squealed, "I can't believe I'm sleeping with James Cagney!" or something to that effect, which was, sadly, a literal boner killer for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2022 10:35 AM

Cute kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2022 6:39 PM

I love the scene in Lady Killer where he plays a Regency fop in knee britches. He looks fantastic and is very funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2022 6:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!