Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Titanic (1997)

Directed by James Cameron

Music by James Horner

Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio lead the impressive epic.

The cast also includes Billy Zane, Bill Paxton, Gloria Stuart, Frances Fisher, David Warner, Victor Garber, Jonathan Hyde, Bernard Hill, Eric Braeden, Bernard Fox, Suzy Amis, Danny Nucci, Jason Barry, Ian Gruffudd, Michael Ensign, and Kathy Bates as Molly Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 11, 2023 3:39 PM

The way Cameron portrayed the ship sinking and its final moments was awe some.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2022 8:07 PM

We’ve had about 10 Titanic threads over the last 2-3 months. Some created by YOU. Why not just bump one of those?

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2022 8:12 PM

[quote]The way Cameron portrayed the ship sinking and its final moments was awe some.

Yes, and he made everyone wait two fucking hours before that happened, i.e., the only good part of an otherwise very silly movie.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote]The way Cameron portrayed the ship sinking and its final moments was awe some

Yes, but the script was shit. If only Cameron had let someone else write the script, it might have been a great movie. But he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2022 8:33 PM

R2 No, I did not.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2022 8:45 PM

It was long, but I liked it. It felt real. The costumes, the scenery, the special effects, the score were spot on. I really didn't pay much attention to the story

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2022 8:54 PM

[quote]I really didn't pay much attention to the story

Right, because in a movie about the Titanic, the story is, of course, the least important part of it.

Also, some of the special effects are great, but some of them are pretty bad. I remember there's one aerial shot of the ship sailing through the ocean, and the people walking along the decks are very fake-looking computer-generated figures.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2022 9:22 PM

Best watched on mute

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2022 9:24 PM

OP created craptastic troll threads recently, including:

Jealousy, Loneliness, and Being a Third Wheel

Bad Overnight Guest

and the truly retarded: The Coterie of Aristocracy

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2022 9:30 PM

OP It sucks. I'll take the original Poseidon adventure anytime.

San Francisco Chronicle- The last hour of Titanic is huge and staggering but there's no horror in it no gravity either.

San Francisco Examiner- No amount of excellent period costuming and brilliant set direction can substitute for a good story and decent acting.

Washington Post- This movie should have blown us out of the water instead we catch ourselves occasionally thinking the unpardonable thought: OK sink already

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2022 9:32 PM

@r7, Exactly! The story was the sinking of the Titanic which the movie handled well. The Jack and Rose and the old lady were more or less background filler to the main story which I didn't pay all the much attention to

- r6

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2022 9:32 PM

At three hours and 14 minutes long, the film takes longer to watch than the Titanic took to sink!

Why were Kate Winslet and Gloria Stewart nominated for acting Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2022 9:36 PM

I think the real life characters- Molly Brown (Bates), Capitan Smith (Hill), J. Bruce Ismay (Hyde), John Astor (Braeden), etc. are more interesting than the Jack-Rose love story.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2022 9:36 PM

R13 I think watching ice melt would be more interesting than the R&J story

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2022 9:38 PM

^ I agree, I thought Bates was excellent as Molly Brown

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2022 9:39 PM

R15 So was Jonathan Hyde as Ismay. There is a deleted scene on the Carpathia and everyone looks at him with disgust.

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2022 9:44 PM

One of my favorite movies.

I appear to be in the minority here.

It’s coming out in 2023 in 4K and I’ll be second on line to get it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2022 9:46 PM

R1 curious - how do you know who the posters are on DL? Muriel??

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2022 9:47 PM

r17

[quote]It’s coming out in 2023 in 4K and I’ll be second on line to get it.

Why second?

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2022 10:28 PM

I just assumed OP would be first.

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2022 10:31 PM

2 is not a queue R20 does anyone care about this movie anymore? Besides you can buy it on Amazon

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2022 11:49 PM

It is always on tv and referenced in pop culture still r21. It also climbs back into Netflix Top 10 every few months

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2022 11:50 PM

I think this is the only movie where Leo looks cute. Especially in the tux.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2022 11:52 PM

It needed MORE FABULOUS jewels.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2022 11:53 PM

R22 is that why Netflix is losing millions, plans to offer a new cheaper service and why I'm ready to dump my Netflix stocks?

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2022 11:58 PM

R25 yes, Titanic is why.

Get help.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2022 12:00 AM

What happened to Frances Fisher?

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2022 12:09 AM

The old bitch throws a priceless piece of jewelry into the ocean instead of passing it on to her family, who probably could have sold it and set themselves up for life. This was decades after she selfishly wouldn't move her fat ass over a few inches on the floating piece of debris so Jack could cling onto it as well. They tried like one time and then she's all "Just wait there in the frigid water, Jack, while I hog this entire floating object." Fucking bitch.

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2022 12:13 AM

Boring and childish film.

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2022 12:18 AM

Waiting for the iceberg⌚⌚⌚

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2022 1:08 AM

OP aren't all those giddy 15-year-old schoolgirls who loved this movie 25 years ago now heading toward their 40s. Who's gonna buy it?

by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2022 1:10 AM

I think the script for S.O.S. TITANIC, combined with Cameron’s state of the art FX, would be a superior film. The former film was held back by its cheesy FX (it was a TV movie in America), but the writing and acting was far superior to the latter movie.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2022 1:24 AM

I’ve seen the SOS film. I agree with r32 about the script and the special effects. Many of the interior scenes were shot in a hotel which looked nothing like the ship. As bad as Cameron’s script was, he more than compensated for its deficiencies; the sets, special effects and the great performances by Kate Winslet and Kathy Bates were beyond reproach. Billy Zane was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2022 1:44 PM

[quote]As bad as Cameron’s script was, he more than compensated for its deficiencies; the sets, special effects and the great performances by Kate Winslet and Kathy Bates were beyond reproach. Billy Zane was terrible.

I don't agree. I think the script was SO bad that it sunk the movie, pardon the tasteless pun. Kate Winslet is a great actress, but the character was ridiculous, and why hire a great British actress to play an American in a movie about an event that was a tremendous tragedy for both England and the U.S.?

Of course, I do agree with you about Billy Zane.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2022 2:29 PM

Last night I started watching Julian Fellowes' ITV miniseries from 2012, but I gave up because it was such a snooze.

Has anybody seen [italic]Titanic II[/italic] or Tubi's [italic]Titanic 666[/italic]? Both look so cheesy that I'm tempted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 30, 2022 4:11 PM

aka Waiting for the Iceberg It took the RMS Titanic 2hrs 40mins to sink and the film is 3hrs and 14mins long. And would we have any interest in these characters if they weren't on a sinking ship?

by Anonymousreply 36December 30, 2022 4:23 PM

WHET to Suzy Amis?

by Anonymousreply 37December 30, 2022 4:58 PM

I prefer The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

by Anonymousreply 38December 30, 2022 5:00 PM

You're better off going to see Titanique The Musical, which is super entertaining and hilarious. And it stars the super handsome Constantine Rousouli as Jack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 30, 2022 7:50 PM

Silly movie. In real life Rose wouldn't have gone anywhere near 3rd class and wouldn't have said more than 3 words to Jack

Adding melodrama like having them be chased around the ship by a guy with a gun, is silly. Isn't being on a sinking ship dramatic enough?

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2022 7:54 PM

It seemed to be so easy for Jack to break the class barriers whenever he wanted to see Rose and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 41December 30, 2022 8:12 PM

[quote]Adding melodrama like having them be chased around the ship by a guy with a gun, is silly.

Silly? I'd say idiotic, and an insult to the intelligence of everyone in the audience. Definitely the low point of a movie with one of the worst screenplays of all time.

by Anonymousreply 42December 30, 2022 10:13 PM

Even the 70s miniseries, S.O.S Titanic, was better

by Anonymousreply 43December 31, 2022 12:35 AM

R2 The OP is manic, repetitive and what the English describe as 'anoraks'.

But the OP has thankfully dropped one of his bad anorak habits; he hasn't described the movie and the performers as "great" or brought in a spurious mention of the embarrassingly-hammy corpse known as Donald Wolfit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 31, 2022 1:10 AM

I found someone using that word.

[quote] great British actress

R34 Who on earth are you taking about?

by Anonymousreply 45December 31, 2022 1:17 AM

It's no surprise that Cameron's screenplay wasn't nominated for Best Original Screenplay. The Academy knew the script was shit.

by Anonymousreply 46December 31, 2022 1:24 AM

[quote] I think the script was SO bad that it sunk the movie

It wasn't as lame as the script in that cartoon called 'Avatar'.

by Anonymousreply 47December 31, 2022 1:36 AM

[Quote] It is always on tv and referenced in pop culture still

one could say the same of The Brady Bunch

by Anonymousreply 48December 31, 2022 2:45 AM

Watching SOS Titanic now and it's really good. Does an excellent job of showing the class distinctions on the ship. Cloris Leachman is hilarious as Molly Brown.

by Anonymousreply 49December 31, 2022 4:13 AM

R37, Suzy Amis became Mrs James Cameron, had kids with him and stopped acting. She started a special school for the offspring of wealthy people who care about the environment. She went through a hardcore no makeup, no hair color phase but is looking a little more mainstream these days.

by Anonymousreply 50December 31, 2022 4:37 AM

Released more than a decade before The Poseidon Adventure, The Last Voyage (1960) is a concise yet oh-so-effective disaster film about a cruise ship that runs into serious trouble on the high seas. And at 91 mins it's half the running time of Titanic! An actual ship was destroyed during production lending authenticity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 31, 2022 5:43 AM

There's also the 1996 Titanic miniseries, starring 34-year-old ingenue Catherine Zeta-Jones. Plus Tim Curry, George C. Scott, and out actor Mike Doyle.

by Anonymousreply 52December 31, 2022 4:02 PM

R52, thanks for reminding me of that one. I checked and it's available complete on YouTube. Will be watching it today. I've never seen it, but it HAS to be better than the James Cameron version.

by Anonymousreply 53December 31, 2022 4:53 PM

Titanic Drinking Game: drink a shot every time Rose screams JAAAAACK! all shrill and obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 54December 31, 2022 4:59 PM

A Night to Remember is also good

by Anonymousreply 55December 31, 2022 5:19 PM

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER is the best one I've seen. Only real negatives are one or two of the special effects shots (though most of the effects are great) and, also, I find the narrative before the ship hits the iceberg to be a bit rushed.

by Anonymousreply 56December 31, 2022 5:31 PM

Saw it Christmas night the year it came out. My late husband fell asleep after thirty minutes but I woke him up for the sinking. I enjoyed it although I usually avoid long movies playing in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 57December 31, 2022 5:37 PM

The CZJ Titanic miniseries was godawful and stank.

by Anonymousreply 58December 31, 2022 5:48 PM

[quote]My late husband fell asleep after thirty minutes but I woke him up for the sinking.

So he was able to steal a 5-hour nap. I’m sure he appreciated that.

by Anonymousreply 59December 31, 2022 5:55 PM

I'm watching it right now, R58. First part of it is pretty good, though a little soap-operaish and also a bit obvious. Mike Doyle sure was gorgeous back then, and it's great to see all those names in the cast -- Tim Curry, Eva Marie Saint, Marilu Henner, George C. Scott, et al. So far, it's STILL better than the Cameron version.

by Anonymousreply 60December 31, 2022 6:57 PM

The 1996 miniseries has its share of problems although I think the central romance was more believable than the one between Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 61December 31, 2022 7:26 PM

"Rubbish. No woman would leave that handsome millionaire for a penniless effeminate boy".

by Anonymousreply 62December 31, 2022 7:47 PM

[quote] An actual ship was destroyed during production lending authenticity.

Ile de France was on her way to the breakers yard anyway so they were permitted to do a fair amount of actual damage short of actually sinking her. George Sanders as her captain should have been given more to do and the crying child much less to do

As for Titanic I've never been able to make myself watch.. There is no way I'd have been able to sit there for hours in a theater and stomach the king of the world scene.

Whoever above said the real people involved were far more interesting than any fictionalization could be was correct,

btw there is yet another Titanic movie that hasn't been mention. The film starts around 4:20 and has English subtitles. In Joseph Goebbels' version a heroic German White Star officer tried to save the ship from the indifference to life of the Jewish financiers. Also the film's director was fired and hanged in a Gestapo prison. Cameron pretty much ripped this version off.

[quote] An epilogue states (in German): "The deaths of 1,500 people remain unatoned, an eternal condemnation of Britain's endless quest for profit."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 31, 2022 8:55 PM

^ That movie says there were only enough lifeboats to carry 10% of the passengers.

Who made these decisions?

Mr Ismay and the evil Jewish financiers?

by Anonymousreply 64December 31, 2022 9:05 PM

The lifeboat is an interesting question. Titanic actually carried more lifeboats than required under the British Board of Trade regulations but the standards did not foresee ships this large and were not updated until afterward..

It wouldn't have made much difference if they had a lifeboat for everybody. The ship sank soon after they launched the last boat they did have.

by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2022 9:21 PM

Adding to r65, lifeboats at the time were envisioned to ferry passengers between the distressed ship and a rescue ship, not to have the passengers all into them floating in the ocean. The theory was load up the passengers, get them to the rescue ship, bring the empty boat back and load up some more.

No one expected the ship to go down as quickly as it did from an accident at sea.

by Anonymousreply 66December 31, 2022 9:37 PM

Jonathan Hyde played J. Bruce Ismay. Hyde is one of my favorite actors. Ismay is an interesting read, too.

A member of the RSC, he appeared in some 1990's classics- Richie Rich, Jumanji, Titanic, Anaconda, and The Mummy. He is known to modern audiences as Eldritch Palmer in The Strain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 31, 2022 9:59 PM

Jonathan Hyde should NOT be confused with Jonathan Pryce— who is one of England's GREAT actors.

by Anonymousreply 68December 31, 2022 10:03 PM

R68 You can't say GREAT

by Anonymousreply 69December 31, 2022 10:15 PM

R67, I love Hyde. He has a great voice, too.

I also liked Roger Rees (RIP) as Ismay in the 1996 miniseries

by Anonymousreply 70December 31, 2022 10:18 PM

The Julian Fellowes miniseries was also bad.

by Anonymousreply 71December 31, 2022 10:48 PM

Jonathan Hyde is almost a doppelgänger for Eric Porter (who was TV star and not to be confused with Eric Portman who starred in important English films).

by Anonymousreply 72December 31, 2022 10:49 PM

Well, I just finished watching the 1996 TV version, courtesy of YouTube. Lots of great people in it, including Catherine Zeta-Jones, Peter Gallagher, Tim Curry, Roger Rees, George S. Scott, Eva Marie Saint, Marilu Henner, and Barry Pepper. Unfortunately, the script is pretty much as awful in its own way as the James Cameron version. BUT....Mike Doyle is truly gorgeous in it, almost breathtakingly so, plus his acting is excellent (even if the role is pretty ridiculous), and his Cockney accent sounds pretty much perfect to my ears. Worth checking out if you have the time.

by Anonymousreply 73December 31, 2022 10:52 PM

It's interesting how similar the Leonardo DiCaprio character is to the character Mike Doyle plays in the miniseries (which came first).

by Anonymousreply 74December 31, 2022 10:57 PM

R73 I hated the rape scene. So lurid.

by Anonymousreply 75December 31, 2022 11:01 PM

DiCokeHead was so fucked up through the production that he could have swum out and pushed the iceberg out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 76December 31, 2022 11:02 PM

David Warner and Susan Saint James made an interesting couple in [italic]S.O.S. Titanic.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 31, 2022 11:11 PM

I laughed every time David Warner and Ian Holm appeared on screen together.

by Anonymousreply 78December 31, 2022 11:16 PM

Why r78

by Anonymousreply 79December 31, 2022 11:36 PM

Every single thing James Cameron has touched is garbage

by Anonymousreply 80December 31, 2022 11:41 PM

R79 Holm standing on a stool.

by Anonymousreply 81December 31, 2022 11:42 PM

R80 = Linda Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 82December 31, 2022 11:49 PM

[quote]It's interesting how similar the Leonardo DiCaprio character is to the character Mike Doyle plays in the miniseries (which came first).

Yes, of course, I noticed that. For that matter, the ridiculous Tim Curry character in the TV movie bears some resemblance to the Billy Zane character in the Cameron version, at least in terms of brandishing a gun. I'm sure Cameron cribbed from the earlier version, whether consciously or not.

by Anonymousreply 83January 1, 2023 12:33 AM

I'm celebrating the New Year by watching [italic]The Poseidon Adventure.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 84January 1, 2023 4:48 AM

And now I'm watching [italic]The Last Voyage.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 85January 1, 2023 6:04 AM

both the 1996 TV miniseries and the 1997 theatrical film suck. Way too long with stock characters.

by Anonymousreply 86January 1, 2023 7:03 AM

I've never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 87January 1, 2023 7:15 AM

R86, I agree, although I think each movie has its (few) strengths and (many) weaknesses. One thing the TV movie has over the Cameron version is that, in the former, at least they spend a little time on the Strauses, particularly their farewell moment, which I'm pretty sure was not in the Cameron film at all.

by Anonymousreply 88January 1, 2023 1:29 PM

I'm sorry, OP, but was there a question in there somewhere or are you just quoting data from IMDB?

by Anonymousreply 89January 1, 2023 2:21 PM

It was r88, but Cameron cut it out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 1, 2023 2:48 PM

Frau catnip.

by Anonymousreply 91January 1, 2023 3:11 PM

Thanks, R90. I would normally say it was an idiotic decision by Cameron to cut that scene, but gosh, the acting in it is quite poor.

by Anonymousreply 92January 1, 2023 3:14 PM

The performances were uneven at best r92, amongst the supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 93January 1, 2023 3:55 PM

It was okay. One viewing was sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 94January 1, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote]Released more than a decade before The Poseidon Adventure, The Last Voyage (1960) is a concise yet oh-so-effective disaster film about a cruise ship that runs into serious trouble on the high seas. And at 91 mins it's half the running time of Titanic! An actual ship was destroyed during production lending authenticity.

Tammy Marihugh, who played Robert Stack and Dorothy Malone's daughter, was yet another child star who hit the skids. She was the daughter of greedy stage parents who saw her as a cash cow, but by the end of the '60s the offers stopped coming and she quit acting. She moved to Las Vegas, became a stripper, and shot her abusive husband to death in 1995. She died in 2020 at age 70.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 1, 2023 7:34 PM

I didn’t know that she was dead r95.

She was so obnoxious in TLV I wanted her to drown.

by Anonymousreply 96January 1, 2023 9:27 PM

Now I'm watching the ultra-low-budget [italic]Titanic II,[/italic] which originally ran on Syfy in 2010. The interiors look like a budget Carnival ship, and the actors appear to have worn their own clothes.

by Anonymousreply 97January 2, 2023 1:50 AM

Complete dreck.

by Anonymousreply 98January 2, 2023 1:51 AM

There's a Titanic 2?

by Anonymousreply 99January 2, 2023 2:23 AM

The special effects were exceptional. But that's the only good thing I can say about this movie. The hackneyed love story, the crummy dialouge, the unsympathetic lovers Rose and Jack, the absurdity of them running around in feezing cold water without being incapacitated by it...boy, this movie REALLY sucked.

by Anonymousreply 100January 2, 2023 3:17 AM

Titanic was a beautiful vessel.

I liked the Royal Blue and White colours and the fake chimney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 2, 2023 3:22 AM

We prefer to call them funnels, not chimneys.

by Anonymousreply 102January 2, 2023 3:34 AM

[italic]Titanic II,[/italic] along with last year's [italic]Titanic 666,[/italic] is a production of The Asylum, the folks who brought you such masterpieces as [italic]Sharknado[/italic] and [italic]Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 103January 2, 2023 3:36 AM

I was always fascinated by the story of the Titanic, and I have seen several movies about it, and honestly there was a lot Cameron lifted from other movies to make this updated version. My personal favorite is the Clifton Webb/Barbara Stanwyck one. With the delicious Robert Wagner.

by Anonymousreply 104January 2, 2023 3:38 AM

[quote] Harland and Wolff

Were you using those impoverished Norther Irelanders as cheap labor?

by Anonymousreply 105January 2, 2023 3:43 AM

Damn right we were

by Anonymousreply 106January 2, 2023 3:49 AM

[quote]The special effects were exceptional.

Most of them were, but not all. There's one aerial pan over the ship at sea, early in the film, and the little people walking on deck are obviously animatronic -- and this was in the days before that sort of shot was perfected, so they look very fake.

by Anonymousreply 107January 2, 2023 4:37 AM

When Jack and Fabrizio see the ship from the pub, it looks like a painting.

by Anonymousreply 108January 2, 2023 12:02 PM

[quote] [R2] No, I did not.

Well it might have been nice to say something about the movie other than that it exists, OP.

by Anonymousreply 109January 2, 2023 12:19 PM

She had a big ass but couldn’t live forever.

by Anonymousreply 110January 2, 2023 12:21 PM

The best description of Titanic I ever heard was: the worst of Gone with the Wind and Poseidon Adventure smushed together.

Quite accurate

by Anonymousreply 111January 2, 2023 1:38 PM

I don't get that, R11. The worst thing about GONE WITH THE WIND -- and one of the few bad things about it, though it's a HUGE thing that has resulted in the movie falling into disfavor -- is the way slavery is downplayed to the point where it seems like it wasn't a big issue in the Civil War. Offhand, I can't remember any racial insensitivity in Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 112January 2, 2023 2:04 PM

R112 - While generally entertaining, GWTW is essentially a soap opera. It's the soapy melodrama to which I was referring. As for Poseidon, the worst of it stereotypical characters and questionable dialogue.

Titanic did have impressive special effects however, especially for its time. That's about it.

BTW, although it was not my point, Titanic did raise racial issues with third class steerage (most of whom died in RL) being composed of ethnic minorities. Whether or not that was treated with sensitivity is subjective.

by Anonymousreply 113January 2, 2023 2:09 PM

Hopefully the next version of the disaster will feature the Laroche family in second class.

by Anonymousreply 114January 2, 2023 4:10 PM

[quote]Titanic II, along with last year's Titanic 666, is a production of The Asylum, the folks who brought you such masterpieces as Sharknado and Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus.

A review of [italic]Titanic II[/italic] notes, "Bruce Davison needed a project to keep his SAG insurance current"

by Anonymousreply 115January 2, 2023 4:18 PM

[quote]will feature the Laroche family in second class.

The family from Karate Kid?

by Anonymousreply 116January 2, 2023 5:19 PM

As a category the highest passenger fatality rate on Titanic was"chauffeurs accompanying their employers". 100%. All four of them were lost.

by Anonymousreply 117January 2, 2023 5:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 2, 2023 6:18 PM

Frock you...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 2, 2023 6:45 PM

R114 Hopefully the next version of the disaster will feature the Laroche family

The script MUST be re-written so that Joe Laroche has an affair with Kate Winslet and be King of The World.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 2, 2023 6:51 PM

There were also some guys on board who were almost certainly gay....all the movies/shows about the Titanic have ignored them, though

by Anonymousreply 121January 2, 2023 6:57 PM

The Titanic was absolutely teeming with Transvestites, Turffs and Non-Binaries.

Eric Cervini demands their story is told!

by Anonymousreply 122January 2, 2023 7:03 PM

In fact, R122, the person who first spotted the iceberg and sounded the alarm was Trans, as was the wireless operator who stayed at them's post sending out distress signals unto the very end. These and thems, sadly, did not survive. True unsung heroines of Trans Herstory!

by Anonymousreply 123January 2, 2023 7:10 PM

Man, it seems like every thread on DL descends into racist crap or picking on trans people

by Anonymousreply 124January 2, 2023 7:11 PM

Trans people are unstoppable, R124. This year is World Pride Year.

by Anonymousreply 125January 2, 2023 7:17 PM

R124, the trans and their vicious drama and lies invite mocking.

by Anonymousreply 126January 2, 2023 7:21 PM

The survivors were part of official inquiries into the sinking. The transcripts are fascinating eye-witness accounts, especially from those who worked on the Titanic in some capacity. Officer Charles Lightoller literally went down with the ship but somehow managed to survive.

From his Wiki page…

As the ship began its final plunge, Lightoller attempted to launch Collapsible B on the port side. This collapsible boat was one of the smaller Engelhardt lifeboats with canvas sides and was stowed atop the officers' quarters. The collapsible fell onto the deck upside down.[29] Lightoller then crossed over to the starboard side of the roof, to see if there was anything further to be done there. As the ship sank, seawater washed over the entire bow, producing a large wave that rolled aft along the boat deck and washed over the bridge. Seeing crowds of people run away from the rising water, Lightoller realized it would be a futile move to head aft and dived into the water from the roof of the officers' quarters. Lightoller described the shock of the water as being like "a thousand knives being driven into one’s body".[30]

Surfacing, Lightoller spotted the ship's crow's nest, now level with the water, and started to swim towards it as a place of safety before remembering that it was safer to stay away from the foundering vessel. Then, as water flooded down one of the forward ventilators, Lightoller was sucked under. He was pinned against the grating for some time by the pressure of the incoming water, until a blast of hot air from the depths of the ship erupted out of the ventilator and blew him to the surface.[10] The suction pulled him down again against another grating, but he resurfaced. He realized he could not swim properly because of the weight of the Webley revolver he was carrying in his coat pocket, so he swiftly discarded it.[30] Following this, he saw Collapsible B floating upside down with several swimmers hanging on to it. He swam to it and held on to a rope at the front. Then the Titanic's Number 1 (forward) funnel broke free and hit the water, washing the collapsible further away from the sinking ship.[31]

Lightoller climbed on the boat and took charge, calming and organising the survivors (numbering around 30) on the overturned lifeboat.[32] He led them in yelling in unison "Boat ahoy!", but with no success. During the night a swell arose, and Lightoller taught the men to shift their weight with the swells to prevent the craft from being swamped.[10]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127January 2, 2023 7:32 PM

R125, right wing trolls must be unstoppable, too, I guess

by Anonymousreply 128January 2, 2023 7:42 PM

[quote]The Titanic was absolutely teeming with Transvestites, Turffs and Non-Binaries.

They threw the first lifeboat!

by Anonymousreply 129January 2, 2023 7:50 PM

Trans people are unstoppable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 2, 2023 8:03 PM

Drag queens were invented the night the TITANIC sank…

by Anonymousreply 131January 2, 2023 8:09 PM

R102 Harland and Wolff, I'm disappointed that you clad the ship with weak rivets and steel that was acceptable then but unacceptable today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 2, 2023 8:12 PM

[quote] is the way slavery is downplayed to the point where it seems like it wasn't a big issue in the Civil War.

For a lot of men who fought in the war slavery wasn't a big issue. A lot of men who fought for the South were not slave owners. They fought because politicians said the Yankees were always telling the South what to do so the Yankees needed to be taught to mind their own business. There's a character in GWTW (he was not in the movie) named Archie. He never owned any slaves; he hated them. He was sentenced to life in prison for murdering his wife. The South was in such dire need of men to fight the wat that they let prisoners out early to join the troops. Archie was not eligible to do that since he was a murderer, but convinced a warden to slip him out with the others. So he fought in the war and lost a leg and an eye; "but I ain't sorry." Archie hated the Yankees because they tried to interfere in the South's business and he hated people who couldn't "mind their own bizness." He also hated women; he caught his wife cheating on him and he killed her. He didn't fight in the war because wated slavery to go on. He just hated the Yankees for butting in. Archie hated everybody but Melanie, it would seem. Archie, although a minor character, was one of the most interesting characters in the novel.

by Anonymousreply 133January 2, 2023 9:54 PM

R133 is one of those Republicans who try to pretend the Civil War wasn't about slaves. "States' rights" meant THE RIGHT TO OWN SLAVES. Even Confederates who didn't own slaves themselves wanted other people to be able to own slaves.

by Anonymousreply 134January 2, 2023 9:58 PM

That's fascinating, R133, but regardless of how much truth there is or isn't in what you wrote, it has nothing to do with what I meant. I was referring to the fact that GONE WITH THE WIND has understandably fallen into disfavor because the evils of slavery are downplayed for the audience -- downplayed as in barely acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 135January 2, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote] fallen into disfavor

Says you.

by Anonymousreply 136January 2, 2023 10:20 PM

[quote] Even Confederates who didn't own slaves themselves wanted other people to be able to own slaves.

Uh, no. They didn't give a shit about slavery, one way or another. As one commentator said:

"Putting aside the political and economic causes of the Civil War, when assessing the men themselves, the personal motivations of most who did the fighting on either side, had nothing to do with slavery. The truth is most Southern soldiers (80% owned no slaves) would have considered themselves to be fighting to defend their homes; just as most Union soldiers were motivated to defend the Union. It seems preposterous that very many of them were thinking “We must keep the slaves!” or “We must free the slaves! As they charged into a hail of cannon and musket fire."

by Anonymousreply 137January 2, 2023 11:09 PM

[quote] one commentator

Is just one commentator.

by Anonymousreply 138January 2, 2023 11:10 PM

R137, bullshit. They were fighting so that rich guys in the South could own slaves. The equivalent of poor people today who vote Republican so rich guys can get tax breaks

by Anonymousreply 139January 2, 2023 11:17 PM

R139 = Professor Eric Cervini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 2, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote] They were fighting so that rich guys in the South could own slaves.

The Civil War was a lhell of a lot more complicated than that.

by Anonymousreply 141January 2, 2023 11:22 PM

^ According to the Confederate apologists in the new Confederacy - the Republican Party

by Anonymousreply 142January 2, 2023 11:29 PM

Millennials insist we dumb down complicated history into simple things suitable for kids.

by Anonymousreply 143January 2, 2023 11:51 PM

As flawed as the film, is, it’s fucking entertaining af. I find myself getting caught up in the spectacle. Can’t help it.

by Anonymousreply 144January 3, 2023 1:09 AM

Me too.

That and [italic]JFK[/italic]. As ridiculous as its premise was, it’s still a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 145January 3, 2023 1:21 AM

Same thing with THE BODYGUARD. Dumb movie that succeeds in spite of itself.

by Anonymousreply 146January 3, 2023 1:22 AM

Horrible awful movie…made for 10 yr old girls

by Anonymousreply 147January 3, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote]As flawed as the film, is, it’s fucking entertaining af. I find myself getting caught up in the spectacle. Can’t help it.

[quote]Me too. That and JFK. As ridiculous as its premise was, it’s still a great movie.

I'm pretty sure you people get caught up in these movies because of the incredible power of the true stories. As for me, I hate it when filmmakers coast on that and make awful movies that some people love anyway because they're about fascinating, highly dramatic historical events.

by Anonymousreply 148January 3, 2023 1:35 AM

Just started watching JUGGERNAUT (1974), about a terrorist-extortionist threatening to blow up a fictional contemporary liner called the [italic]Brittanic.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149January 3, 2023 3:06 AM

[quote] Lightoller climbed on the boat and took charge, calming and organising the survivors (numbering around 30) on the overturned lifeboat

In WW1 he went on to command a Royal Navy ship that sank a U-Boat by ramming it. In WW2 he sailed his own small boat to Dunkirk and evacuated British troops five times the boat's capacity

by Anonymousreply 150January 3, 2023 3:20 AM

Lightoller; true, may be or false? ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 3, 2023 3:49 AM

Leo became an A-list Hollywood actor from this film and has never looked back since.

River Phoenix would have brought so much more to that role had he not died and got the chance to play it. He was Cameron's first choice for Jack.

by Anonymousreply 152January 3, 2023 4:19 AM

River Phoenix was still smaller than musclebound Kate Winslet.

by Anonymousreply 153January 3, 2023 4:24 AM

[quote] River Phoenix would have brought so much more to that role had he not died and got the chance to play it. He was Cameron's first choice for Jack.

The movie came out 6 years after River died. How could he have been the first choice? Unless he was to play a corpse, then I could understand.

by Anonymousreply 154January 3, 2023 4:55 PM

R154, Cameron was developing the script to Titanic back in the early 90s, before River Phoenix’s death. It was his dream project, and he had Phoenix in mind when he created Jack.

by Anonymousreply 155January 3, 2023 11:08 PM

I couldn’t believe how Rose was able to let her mother think that she was dead. But Ruth didn’t really care about her daughter; to Ruth, Rose was just a bargaining chip that she could use to get herself out of the debts her late husband had burdened her with.

by Anonymousreply 156January 3, 2023 11:12 PM

I always wonder what happened to Ruth after the sinking

by Anonymousreply 157January 4, 2023 12:14 AM

You ain’t heard this from me cause I ain’t one to gossip, but from what I heard, she turned ho.

Mmmm hmmm.

Course I ain’t tryin to say nothin.

by Anonymousreply 158January 4, 2023 12:55 AM

She became the original Mayflower Madam.

by Anonymousreply 159January 4, 2023 12:57 AM

Hey, R158/Benita Butrell! Love you on In Living Color!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 4, 2023 4:05 AM

I love Benita Butrell

by Anonymousreply 161January 4, 2023 4:09 AM

I take my hat off to this guy who has created this very detailed computer simulation of the sinking. He’s partially blind to boot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 7, 2023 11:47 PM

River Phoenix would've been too old to play Jack by the time the film was made.

by Anonymousreply 163January 7, 2023 11:51 PM

^ It would be laughable if someone named "River" drowned in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 164January 7, 2023 11:58 PM

^ Some might be embarrassed that someone who was christened as 'River Bottom' ended up on the Atlantic's bottom.

by Anonymousreply 165January 8, 2023 1:37 AM

River was the first choice to play Jack when the movie was first conceived but of course he was gone before pre-production and casting actually began.

by Anonymousreply 166January 8, 2023 2:32 AM

Yes, R162, I've seen that simulation. It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 167January 8, 2023 3:10 AM

He's gay. Look at this pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168January 8, 2023 6:53 AM

[quote] It’s coming out in 2023 in 4K and I’ll be second on line to get it.

I can hardly wait to see every fold of excess flesh on Winslet in stunning 4K!

by Anonymousreply 169January 8, 2023 2:22 PM

I think that someone should make a version focusing on the second class passengers. They are ignored in most cinematic versions of the disaster.

by Anonymousreply 170January 11, 2023 2:00 PM

Well of course they are. No one wants to see the riff raff.

by Anonymousreply 171January 11, 2023 2:04 PM

R170 Heh yes, nothing changes (the media focuses on the rich and the poor because they're the extremes.. Not a lot of focus on the middle).

by Anonymousreply 172January 11, 2023 2:13 PM

If they do, r170, I’d like to see them focus on the Laroche family.

by Anonymousreply 173January 11, 2023 3:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!