Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Natalie Wood was pimped out to Frank Sinatra by her mother when she was 15 years old

Excerpts from Natalie Wood: The Complete Biography by Suzanne Finstad.

One day while they were at the commissary, Frank Sinatra walked in, preparing for his next picture, Young at Heart. Sinatra either approached Natalie, or her mother sent her over to introduce herself. Maria lunged at the opportunity for Natalie to meet Sinatra, who had just won an Academy Award for From Here to Eternity, increasing his status in Hollywood. Sinatra was taken with Natalie, and got “a kick” out of Maria, inviting them to a party at his house. Mud eagerly accepted, whispering to Natalie afterward that she would let her go alone, urging Natalie to get close to Sinatra “because it would be good for her career.” Mud had no qualms that he was separated from his wife, the tempestuous Ava Gardner, or that he was thirty-eight to Natalie’s fifteen. “Her mother was a pimp,” as Scott Marlowe, Natalie’s later boyfriend, brutally assessed. Lana was too young to know about their mother pushing Natalie onto Sinatra, but “that wouldn’t surprise me. To my mom, if you were a movie star, then you were valuable.”

Natalie returned to the classroom at Republic, spilling her amazing secret to her TV brother, who recalls, “Natalie herself could not even believe this permission,” jumping at the chance “to do something without her mother.” She shared the confidence with Mary Ann, who was astonished even Maria would send Natalie alone, at fifteen, to a party at Frank Sinatra’s house. “She literally threw her to the lions.” The day after the party, Natalie arrived at the studio school embarrassed, telling Bobby she had something to confess. Natalie had consumed quantities of wine at Sinatra’s house, and in the course of the evening, told Sinatra about “Clyde,” the code name for penis Bobby had coined to fool Natalie’s mother. Sinatra was so amused, he and his friends had incorporated “Clyde” into their hipster slang. Natalie felt guilty because she had taken credit for the word. “Here’s the kind of person Natalie was. She said that my friendship was very important to her. She was going to see Sinatra that evening, and if I wanted, she would tell Sinatra that I invented the word.” Bobby laughed it off. Some months later, he turned on the radio and heard Sinatra singing a tune called “Clyde’s Song.” The singer was quoted in magazines saying Clyde was his “code word” for someone he didn’t trust. “Sinatra and his Rat Pack gang started using the ‘Clyde’ word in their Vegas act. Even JFK was saying the code word. I should have copyrighted it.”

Natalie became a regular at Sinatra’s that May and June, according to Hyatt, who saw her at studio school every day, keeping her secret. “I remember one Friday Natalie just couldn’t wait to get out of there. She kept looking at her watch, dancing up and down, saying, ‘I have to get to the hairdresser and look really beautiful tonight because — don’t tell anybody— I’m going back to Frank Sinatra’s house. They’re having a party and I can’t wait to get up there.’ It was a big deal to her. Everybody was up there— Dean Martin, the Rat Pack, all the big stars, all way older than her. She was probably the only person under thirty there except for maybe some of the dancing girls from Las Vegas. I guarantee you she was the only fifteen-year-old there.”

by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2022 5:25 PM

There was a mysterious, illicit quality to Natalie’s relationship with Sinatra, from the point of view of Bobby, her brother-confessor. “When I asked her what was up between her and Sinatra, she said her mother told her not to say anything because if word got out that she was spending evenings at his house, it would ruin everything. I was sworn to secrecy.” Bobby believed that Natalie and Sinatra were having an affair. “There was something fishy, because her mother told her not to talk to anybody about it because she was underage. I knew something was going on, because this was the first time Natalie ever told me she couldn’t tell me something.” Bobby’s suspicions were confirmed in his mind when Natalie suddenly lost interest in their teenage sexual explorations. “All that stopped. No more questions about sex, no more discussions, no fooling around.” Natalie “became kind of distant-not as a joking-around friend, but if I would bring up sex, she would say, ‘No, no, no, I don’t want to talk about it.’ Until the Sinatra thing, Natalie was completely naive.”

“Thank goodness, he was a nice guy . . . and you know, he was fun.” Sinatra, who was devastated over his doomed, fiery marriage to Ava Gardner, found tender-hearted Natalie a soothing balm, in Mary Ann’s view. “You know, he had his share of problems. Natalie always had an ear, and she could always listen. And when she said, ‘Can I do anything to help?’ she really meant it.” Natalie’s code words and teen giddiness were a distraction for the moody Sinatra. He said later, “She gave me the feeling that she was always glad to be alive. That she was a happy kind of a human being, and she exuded a lot of happiness when she was with you. She giggled a lot. She loved to laugh.”

Natalie and Sinatra formed a fascination with each other from these early encounters that would persist for years, at times romantically, occasionally while they were in relationships with other people. Sinatra would assume the role of Natalie’s “Godfather” protector the rest of his life — even after Natalie drowned, when he would intervene in classic Sinatra style.

Mary Ann and Bobby, the friends who knew of Natalie’s teen liaison with Sinatra, held her mother responsible for setting her up with the married, nearly forty-year-old star. “Mrs. Gurdin was really pushing Natalie and the Sinatra thing,” as Hyatt recalls. Actor Scott Marlowe, who became Natalie’s boyfriend two years later, describes her then as “easily seduced,” suggesting the worldly Sinatra “probably taught her a lot.”

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2022 2:18 PM

Borgnine did a better job in From Here to Eternity. Give me a break. Spoiled idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2022 2:32 PM

We talked about this a lot during the days after Kirk Douglas died. Some Millennial online writer tried to defend Kirk by saying that CDAN's "Himm" invented the rumor. I even saw people on Twitter pointing her to this book, she would ignore them and block them. I wish I could remember who that was.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2022 2:33 PM

I broke her in.

Where's the thanks?

It's because was Jewish, right?

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2022 2:36 PM

Is it bad to still be a casual fan of Sinatra after reading this?

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2022 2:37 PM

It always has been.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2022 2:38 PM

A lot of momagers did and still Do this. Disgusting and sad. Think of all the parents who knowingly sent their daughters of with Ghilane maxwell on a private jet to get raped for a little cash.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2022 2:42 PM

This book has a lot of tea. Natalie walked in on RJ being intimate with the butler and went into hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2022 2:43 PM

Poor Ronan. Who will be his fake father now?

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2022 2:44 PM

Natalie had such a tragic life.

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2022 2:44 PM

Natalie Wood was young and impressionable at that age, I'm sure she was star struck, her mother sounds like a nutcase, too bad Natalie had to deal with a bunch of users and abusers at such an early age, may she rest in peace...

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2022 2:49 PM

The Sinatra affair was also covered in George Jacobs' memoirs, "Mr. S: My Life with Frank Sinatra." Jacobs was Sinatra's personal valet and knew everything.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2022 2:55 PM

R12 Thanks for sharing. Frank groomed the hell out of Natalie.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2022 8:55 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2022 9:03 PM

Mixed feelings.

Our society frowns on this kind of age and power imbalance because of the potential for it to be abused, and usually it is an exploitative situation.

But this doesn't sound like that. It sounds like he treated her with respect, taught her about sex and remained a loyal friend.

Too bad most people can't be trusted to conduct their affairs this way.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2022 9:12 PM

Why is the Gene Kelly thread lit but this one isn’t?

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2022 7:46 AM

Wasn’t Natalie’s sister supposed to reveal who raped her once he died, and didn’t we all think it was Kirk Douglas? That ever happen?

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2022 8:17 AM

Kirk Douglas did rape Natalie Wood, and he got away with it, he lived to be 100+ and free from prosecution...

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2022 9:00 AM

R17 Yes, she revealed Kirk Douglas as the rapist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2022 9:41 AM

Smirk Douglas

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2022 10:17 AM

I feel dumb - who's RJ?

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2022 3:44 PM

R21, Robert John Wagner

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2022 4:39 PM

R15, he treated her with respect? He "taught" her about sex? Wow, I bet you could make any situation sound classy.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2022 4:42 PM

Big deal, I was molested and my little brother loves blue!

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2022 4:52 PM

R18 - I didn’t mean “did it (the rape) happen” - I meant did the sister ever come out publicly about it?

Thank you R19! Did it get much coverage? I honestly don’t recall hearing anything 🤷🏼‍♂️ With all the canceling going on now, I’m surprised there wasn’t more made of it, pulling back Oscars and such.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2022 7:58 PM

I giggled when Louis B. Mayer showed me his puny cocklet.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2022 9:56 PM

R25 It didn’t get much coverage from what I remember, probably because most people already knew it to be true. But I remember Natalie Wood was trending on Twitter when Kirk croaked.

by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2022 4:39 AM

R23 it doesn't sound like he forced her.

The geisha supposedly used to have the practice of arranging the deflowering of the novices with a trusted client, to ensure the women were not abused.

If you are going to lose your virginity, there are a lot of worse ways than with a trusted older person that knows they will be held accountable if something goes wrong.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2022 5:21 AM

[quote] Sounds like she had latitude to say "no" in this one.

Did she really? Natalie was 15. Her mother coaxed or pushed her to "meet" with Sinatra to advance her career. Had she said "no" and gone home, she might've faced the wrath of her pushy stage mother.

Natalie's mother also arranged a date with Kirk Douglas, and when he assaulted her, mama told her to "suck it up."

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2022 5:34 AM

Poor Ronan -- conceived from a predatory pedo however one looks at it.

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2022 5:36 AM

She certainly doesn't seem to have options. It was either do this or what? That's why these people target vulnerable people to groom and coerce into stuff like this, because they don't have options.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2022 5:40 AM

Excerpts from Mr. S: My Life With Frank Sinatra by George Jacobs

“One affair that, unlike the others, was conducted in top secret was with Natalie Wood, because she was a minor at the time, either fifteen or sixteen, though she didn't act like it. She wore skintight dresses, pushup bras, all the makeup that Saks could sell. She smoked and spoke like a world-weary New York sophisticate in a Thin Man movie. Then again, she was an actress, just a precocious one. Sinatra adored this tiny beauty, but he didn't want to go the way of Charlie Chaplin or Errol Flynn or, later, Roman Polanski. He had been taken with Natalie ever since she became a child star in Miracle on 34th Street. Somehow he met her mother, Maria Gurdin, a Russian woman who was the pushiest stage mom in history. She made Brooke Shields's mother look laid back. Mrs. Gurdin brought the teen Natalie over to the apartment for cocktails soon after Mr. S won his Oscar. She had her kid all dolled up, total jailbait, in a form-fitting black party dress, and Mr. S went for it in a big way. Nothing dirty-old-mannish, he was never like that. He played them cuts from his upcoming album, provided career suggestions, refused to let me serve Natalie an alcoholic drink until her mother allowed it. I made her a martini, which seemed to go with her outfit. She drank two and would have had a third had Mr. S not jokingly called a limit. I've never seen anyone so supportive as he was of Natalie's and her mother's ambitions. In the next week, after those cocktails, Natalie began coming over after her studio school, without her mom, for "singing lessons." Mr. S would send me away when she was there. "I don't want you to testify," he joked. He wanted to be "In like Flynn," but he didn't want to be ruined for it.

Natalie was much more than a fling. Their secret affair went on for several years, off and on, until she reached the age of consent, and even beyond that until she took up with Robert Wagner. Mr. S truly cherished her, and whatever went on in private, he was also a father to her more than her own father, very protective, advising her about all the many men who would come after her. In Frank's world casting was the sincerest form of flattery. He liked Natalie so much he put her, at age nineteen, in his 1957 movie about racism, Kings Go Forth, in which she plays a mulata living in WWII France in a love triangle with two GIs played by Sinatra and Tony Curtis, whom Frank always called by his real name "Bernie." Because of my own background from New Orleans, where half the city was of mixed race, I was Mr. S's informal technical advisor on that film. For all her many charms, I hate to say that Natalie was the least convincing black girl I ever met. We'd joke about it, calling her the "Black Russian."

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2022 6:29 AM

She was screwing Nick Ray about the same time.

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2022 9:05 AM

Total bullshit.

Frank never pimped me out. Woody on the other hand.....

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2022 9:32 AM

Dirt(bag) Douglas

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2022 9:41 AM

The truth about this, just like Natalie did many years later, will one day wash up on the shore……

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2022 10:21 AM

Speaking of Ronan, I was just looking at his instagram and my god is he vain. To encourage any mischief about being the son of Sinatra would be a little off brand, no?

by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2022 12:09 PM

[R37] how so? It seems very on brand, given the other (known) option.

And yes, he’s unbelievably vain. Talk about a pathological need for attention.

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2022 12:48 PM

I guess the difference with Sinatra is, he mostly treated all his many women well. Except for Bacall?

by Anonymousreply 39July 26, 2022 12:58 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2022 5:04 PM

I had Scott Marlowe in 1986-1989. Nice guy, though sometimes gloomy. Hot in bed.

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2022 5:10 PM

Natalie Wood’s months read an evil cunt. She would tear the wings off butterflies to make Natalie cry.

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2022 5:24 PM

^Morheut was.

I’d pay $20.00 a month for an edit button

by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2022 5:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!