Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst Interior Design Trend in History

What was it? I’m going with the early 2000s Tuscany look. The dark reds, beiges, sun-kissed yellows, and browns. The gold tassels. The round balls made of feathers packed into a huge, cheap metal bowl. The spoiled olive oil bottles stuffed with peppers. The dried spiky florals aka dust catchers. It was all disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 138July 14, 2022 12:48 PM

OP, I prefer the kitschy 2000s Tuscany look over the bland and safe hues of beige and grey.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2022 7:10 PM

R1 the new Incest Survivor Museum Chic look of today is just the Tuscany look without any hue or character, and under the guise of minimalism.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2022 7:14 PM

Rustic Tuscan style is timeless and comfortable. Not horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2022 7:15 PM

R3 that’s leaning French Country.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2022 7:17 PM

Cluttered gay lux schickimicki. It's the worst.

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2022 7:17 PM

R5 example….

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2022 7:17 PM

R4 this is overlap. It just means the real authentic style of bourgeois country homes.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2022 7:18 PM

R6 a recent one. Hamish Bowles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2022 7:20 PM

Grey interiors with pops of neon yellow, orange, or green. Eccchhh.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2022 7:22 PM

R8 sweet fucking Jesus. Is that what happens when a bottom has tried every thing in sight to fill his hole and failed? So he’s starts filling his armoires instead.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2022 7:22 PM

Those piles of stacked books are triggering me! There was also that thread about the couple who moved all their shit from SF to NYC...lots of owls and plaid...one of them worked for Ralph Lauren?

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2022 7:24 PM

I haven’t a clue what OP is talking about- had no idea there was a Tuscany look. What I do know is that Tuscany is one of the most beautiful places in the world with some of the best food.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2022 7:26 PM

R8 that apartment look like the estates of Iris Apfel and Minnie Pearl were combined.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2022 7:28 PM

gay schickimicki is all over Europe too. I have a circle of friends who live in such abodes. Sometimes several. Its always a mix of quality pieces, judicious spreading around of high-end fabrics, papers and paints, and "restorations", and plenty of flea market "treasures".

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2022 7:29 PM

Anything that is considered a "trend" is the worst. They all tie for worst.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2022 7:31 PM

I don't know if it has a name, but: the blocky, cold, sterile grey-greige 'industrial' look that I've been seeing in the Renovation Hardware catalogs for the last few years.

And you can't buy a stitch of it for less than a few grand.

I'd rather be stuck in a 70s grandma's cluttery, kitschy, dusty suburban tract house than have to live like a colorblind person in a slightly upholstered operating room.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2022 7:34 PM

I'm not a fan of most rustic southwest/Santa Fe style decor. It's usually ugly and tacky...cowhide rugs, Kokopelli and coyote motifs, all that beige and terracotta...yuck!

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2022 7:40 PM

Shag carpets, I guess. Just the amounts of dust that drops down into it.

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2022 7:49 PM

People are confusing Design Trends with authentic design. Both Tuscany Design® and French Provencal® designs are hideous. The authentic designs of Provence and Tuscany are wonderful. The ruffles on ruffles design of Pierre Deux has nothing to do with actual design from the Provence region.

One of the worst design trends was the Gay Grey, industrial design of the 1990s: grey rubber coin dot matting, polished grey concrete, sanded and polyurethaned steel. One couldn't tell is it was a living room or an operating room.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2022 7:51 PM

OP, just Google "Memphis Decor" and prepare to be horrified.

Or watch Ruthless People

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2022 7:55 PM

Most people would have included this kind of '60s-'70s look as among the worst ever, but I personally love it. I guess it's nostalgic for me (this pic from "Family Affair").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2022 1:30 AM

R21 at least it had some warmth

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2022 1:33 AM

[quote]I'm not a fan of most rustic southwest/Santa Fe style decor. It's usually ugly and tacky...cowhide rugs, Kokopelli and coyote motifs, all that beige and terracotta...yuck!

Please don't forget the "sunset" (aka off-pastel) hues of pink and purple, little bits of leather tie on things ... oh my God I just regurgitated

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2022 2:22 AM

80's Southwest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2022 2:43 AM

[quote]Most people would have included this kind of '60s-'70s look as among the worst ever...

It IS the WORST EVER.

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2022 2:52 AM

R24 gives me hives. Entenmann's on Corelle. Synthetic fabric placemat and napkin. Mr. Coffee coffee and USA Today.

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2022 2:55 AM

The living room set from the “Eyes of Laura Mars.” Whatever that was. Sorry couldn’t find a photo.

by Anonymousreply 27July 10, 2022 2:56 AM

The illuminated urn on the pillar was very glamorous to my young eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 10, 2022 2:59 AM

r4, not really, the table, chairs, ceiling, artwork are distinctly Italian.

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2022 3:55 AM

Carpeted kitchens & bathrooms are unforgiveable. I also detest everything Laura Ashley ever put out. Thankfully, all of their stores closed by January 2021.

Basically, I hate almost everything from the very late 1970s, to the late 1990s. That twenty year period produced more offensive interior design trends than any other in the Twentieth Century.

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2022 4:06 AM

This couch is every DL'ers nightmare!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2022 7:13 PM

r30, you just reminded me of that 80's Laura Ashley/Holly Hobby decor. There was a reason I totally obliterated it out of my mind:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2022 7:38 PM

That sofa is from the flea market Montgomery

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2022 4:21 AM

Clutter, à la R8, can be cozy.

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote][R21] at least it had some warmth.

But not as much as Mr. French's bunghole.

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2022 7:02 PM

Glass bricks were the worst IMO. They always made any room look like trash.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2022 8:59 PM

R32.....holy shit! Wins the thread- unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2022 9:09 PM

I don’t remember that, OP. Early 2000s was all faux-Scandi to me.

by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2022 9:12 PM

It was AWFUL, R32! I HATE that stuff, and I'm glad it's dead.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2022 9:24 PM

[Quote]Carpeted kitchens & bathrooms are unforgiveable

I interviewed a HUGE French actress in the 90's at her home and her bathroom was carpeted in plush creme-colored high pile. It was considered quite glam then.

by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2022 9:36 PM

R39, while that look is often referred to as Laura Ashley, it came from high end designers like Sister Parrish. I remember Park Ave apartments designed in that chintz upon chintz look. Even the lining fabrics of curtains were tiny checks. This was also used for the backs of semi-upholstered chairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2022 9:56 PM

For kitchens: Stainless steel appliances and those fucking granite countertops. Charmless, painfully ubiquitous and a nightmare to clean without causing surface damage.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2022 10:48 PM

The mishmash Miami Vice brand of "modernism"

while largely associated with Florida

this disease has spread to the likes of Houston and other major cities...

It's interiors tends to take the style of Joey's loft from My Two Dads

looking like a cross between a prop studio, flea market and an episode of hoarders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2022 10:55 PM

Do you people think interior design is only a century old? Why am I the first to mention the horrors of Victorian interiors!

Dark, cramped, overdecorated, cluttered, far too much furniture, fucking obligatory dreary wallpaper. The only thing worse, is modern Victoriana in the hands of some frau (of either sex) who loves decorating with magenta and twee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2022 11:13 PM

The cold cold "am i at the hospital " white white modern . Get me outta here !

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2022 11:42 PM

R44, you are an idiot. "Victorian" is a time period. There is no "Victorian" style.

The interior you chose to illustrate your point is charming. As to style, the furniture is Colonial Revival. As to the period, it is Edwardian (1907), not Victorian at all.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2022 12:59 AM

Was there not a mauve and blue period? I found that unnerving.

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2022 4:56 AM

[quote]who loves decorating with magenta

Magenta is the worst colour for decor. Magenta paired with emerald green is the worst pairing.

For the haters of chintz I've seen some photos of Princess Diana in Kensington Palace in the 80s that embodied that look. Awful. A lot of blue and pink paint.

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2022 5:05 AM

Wallpaper borders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2022 5:28 AM

Bear rugs with the head, and zebra rugs.

by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2022 5:47 AM

OP is a buyer for Home Goods.

by Anonymousreply 51July 12, 2022 6:05 AM

I fucking love chintz everything.

Sue me.

by Anonymousreply 52July 12, 2022 6:07 AM

I love Memphis design and I think the apartment at r8 is interesting. I hated the Ralph Lauren one.

My hag had her whole condo done inOP’s trashy faux Tuscany, and it was truly vile, like living in a Macy’s.

by Anonymousreply 53July 12, 2022 6:13 AM

For me, it would be the Scottish Highland castle motif of mounted animal trophy heads.

I've also had the misfortune of living in places where the owner had a collection of African, Haitian and New Guinean sculptures. What a malevolent presence they had! I shuddered whenever I had to get up at night in the dark and pass them.

by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2022 7:27 AM

This magenta and green room is fun and elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2022 7:37 AM

Anything beyond offwhite ivory and light beige is too distracting. My presence makes the statement, not my walls.

by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2022 7:45 AM

That's not magenta OR emerald green at R55.

by Anonymousreply 57July 12, 2022 7:49 AM

This is magenta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 12, 2022 7:51 AM

And this is close to the green I was talking about. Note how both of these awful colours have had to be matched with black/white/grey in order to lessen their hideousness. Now imagine them together. Awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 12, 2022 7:52 AM

I'd get tired of looking at that magenta very quickly. It's good only in the pages of design magazines, not to live with.

by Anonymousreply 60July 12, 2022 7:53 AM

That darker color in r58 is NOT magenta - I would describe it as plum. Magenta would be a shade midway between purple and hot pink. I don't care what Behr calls it.

by Anonymousreply 61July 12, 2022 8:07 AM

If we have a flame war about what is and is not magenta it's going to be the gayest thing that's happened on this board for months.

Bring it on, R61. That IS magenta at R58!

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2022 8:10 AM

Avocado appliances and burnt orange kitchen tiles with beaten copper range hood and utensils hanging from the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 63July 12, 2022 8:12 AM

R61 is right, R58 — but I’m willing to break up the fight by dubbing that colour “Old Magenta”.

by Anonymousreply 64July 12, 2022 8:12 AM

I'm OK with 'Old Magenta' - I only did a brief google image search and even I thought it wasn't saturated enough/too much grey. It's still magenta to me, just a dull magenta. Or: Old Magenta. The original post definitely did not include magenta - that was hot pink.

Thank you for your diplomacy, Dutchie. I admit I was sharpening my claws.

by Anonymousreply 65July 12, 2022 8:15 AM

Magenta and mauve are different?

by Anonymousreply 66July 12, 2022 8:16 AM

While a Uni student in London in the 90s I rented a small flat that had a sweet entry with "velvet suede" forrest green wallpaper. It was gorgeous and the gilt framed artwork hanging on it popped. I'll always appreciate this look.

by Anonymousreply 67July 12, 2022 8:17 AM

The recent white gray beige trend. It’s sterile and looks like you’re in a hospital/museum. Of course every annoying as fuck white girl loves this trend. You see them on TV wearing oversize sweaters talking in vocal fry cradling their mug .. sitting in a white box.

by Anonymousreply 68July 12, 2022 8:25 AM

I guess I'll accept "Old Magenta" as the color in r58. Thanks for your diplomacy, Dutchie. For me, "New Magenta" is a brighter, lighter shade of purple. It is well explained at the link below with lots of comparison pictures. I agree that the picture with the green and hot pink was not correctly magenta either -it made me sick, so I didn't want to linger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 12, 2022 8:33 AM

The color posted at R58 is a deep MAUVE!!! And if it were a slightly cooler purple, it'd be PUCE!!!!!!

But seriously, deep pinks and purple are absolutely finteriir colors. Not only are they an offense to the eye, but for some reason, interior paint companies just can't make good purples. I don't know why this is.

by Anonymousreply 70July 12, 2022 9:20 AM

This might not be the worst ever interior design trend, but when I was looking at houses around 2000, my heart sank at yet another interior painted coffee brown or battleship grey. How can anyone live in that environment and not feel drained and oppressed?

I like white, cream, eggshell with various blues and greens as accent colours.

by Anonymousreply 71July 12, 2022 9:34 AM

I did like the interior of the house in the original Stepford Wives.

Still can’t figure out how they did it, but it seemed to be grey on grey moldings and walls, slightly different shades.

by Anonymousreply 72July 12, 2022 9:39 AM

An interior shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 12, 2022 9:52 AM

Another shot.

How did they get that look?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 12, 2022 9:54 AM

The wainscoting is a slightly darker shade of grayish than the walls, R74, other than that I can't tell anything from those photos.

Except that that is a GHASTLY shade of dreary yellowish gray. I can't imagine having to live with that depressing color.

by Anonymousreply 75July 12, 2022 10:13 AM

Well, it looked real classy-type to me, r75.

by Anonymousreply 76July 12, 2022 10:16 AM

Minimalism - all white, or all griege or the two mixed. Concrete everywhere. Cold and hideous. I'm with R16 on this

I'd far prefer the interior R44 posted, that looks fantastic, just needs a cute little ornate table for the lady to rest her phone and laptop on. I'm with R46, its charming, and would love a home that looked like that

[quote]The cold cold "am i at the hospital " white white modern . Get me outta here !

R45 or am I at the morgue?

R55 I love that, and I like the look of whatever the upholstered furniture is in the foreground

[quote]I fucking love chintz everything.

Fuck yeah!! Give me chintz or give me death! R52 its great to find a kindred soul on here!

by Anonymousreply 77July 12, 2022 10:21 AM

I think the Stepford Wives house had to have some clever selection of different paint finishes in the various greys.

I’m interested in exploring those historic paint companies in England at some point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 12, 2022 10:28 AM

More English paint companies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 12, 2022 10:29 AM

This isn’t the worst in history, but remember that big horizontal stripes on the wall painting trend?

I never saw it done well, personally. Quite anxiety inducing.

by Anonymousreply 80July 12, 2022 10:32 AM

21st Century DIY Influencer

by Anonymousreply 81July 12, 2022 10:33 AM

Open floor plan.

It makes construction cheaper for builders, but it is horrible in the long run for homeowners.

Kitchen, laundry and bathroom smells go everywhere.

Noise travels to every room. There is nowhere to have a private conversation.

Color has to be somewhat monochromatic or the demarcation points look jarring.

No family needs to be within eyesight of each other 24/7.

Bedrooms become the only safe space.

by Anonymousreply 82July 12, 2022 10:49 AM

Agree, I love a closed off kitchen and don’t want it to be the focus of my house.

by Anonymousreply 83July 12, 2022 10:54 AM

R83, when I designed my house, I used an ancient floor plan. There is a long passage that runs the length of the house. The working rooms are on one side, the living rooms are on the other. You cannot smell cooking or hear the washing machine from the living side. The passage has outdoor finishes so both doors can be opened (or removed) during the summer and it becomes a breezeway for better air circulation. As per the ancient rules, the passage is large enough for a pregnant cow to pass through.

by Anonymousreply 84July 12, 2022 11:03 AM

Interesting, r 84. Where did you fond the plan? What era is it from?

by Anonymousreply 85July 12, 2022 11:40 AM

*find

by Anonymousreply 86July 12, 2022 11:40 AM

When did they do away with the practice of building the upper floors of a country house, where the servants lived, with small windows?

I always thought that looked odd.

by Anonymousreply 87July 12, 2022 11:45 AM

R85, everywhere. It was a typical Medieval floor plan in northern Germany (hence the pregnant cow rule). It was also used by H.M. Baillie Scott for Springcot in the early 1900s.

by Anonymousreply 88July 12, 2022 11:56 AM

R74 the reason why those greys look great is because of the materials they were painted on: Texture is everything. Take the interesting wood cladding in the pic you shared, for example.

by Anonymousreply 89July 12, 2022 3:34 PM

R84 I can almost picture your floor plan!

And it makes absolute sense. If I’m not mistaken, you basically take 1/3 of the house for all types of work (cooking, washing, storage) and with a long corridor you separate it from the 2/3 meant for living and entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 90July 12, 2022 3:36 PM

R47, yes there was a mauve and blue (or mint green) period. It was called the mid-80s, and many Eldergays remember it very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 12, 2022 3:41 PM

R58 that colour is aubergine. It's a go to shade for those without an imagination but who think they're being brave in their design choices.

by Anonymousreply 92July 12, 2022 4:39 PM

It's a dusty aubergine.

by Anonymousreply 93July 12, 2022 5:06 PM

ALL laminate flooring, but there’s a special place in hell for that gray-ish laminate flooring people are installing lately.

It’s just grotesque. Every time I see it, I think to myself, “Now there’s the perfect floor for a depressed incel to commit suicide on”.

These hideous floors are now being installed in thousands of apartments and homes, in & around L.A.

They just suck any speck of joy and creativity out of any room.

Gray floors are acceptable when the flooring is smooth cement. Other than that, GTOH with that gray, cheap laminate shit.

by Anonymousreply 94July 12, 2022 5:11 PM

The housewares section of any Ross Dress For Less or TJ Maxx is a virtual museum of worst design trends.

by Anonymousreply 95July 12, 2022 5:39 PM

I'm thinking maybe Late Pompeii, with porno frescoes and Priapus statuettes.

by Anonymousreply 96July 12, 2022 5:45 PM

R94, My best friend JUST put that flooring in her family room! I will go see it soon! She added new gray sofas and newly-painted gray walls!

by Anonymousreply 97July 12, 2022 5:47 PM

R94, do you mean the grey wood grain flooring? One of my pet peeves it when perfectly good wood is made to look like stainless steel.

by Anonymousreply 98July 12, 2022 5:54 PM

R94, I'm with you on the weird "greywashed" wood tones. But I think most of the time laminate is just used because it's cheap to buy and cheap/fast to install. It's hard to hate interior design that looks lousy because the designer didn't have enough money to make it look nice.

There's plenty of inoffensive-looking laminates, though, that would look ten times better than the grey. And the greywashed woodgrain will look totally dated in 5-10 years, while a simple oak, pine, cherry, or walnut finish may still look cheap, but it will never look dated.

by Anonymousreply 99July 12, 2022 6:33 PM

I put gray fake wood laminate in my small bathroom. I wanted a cooling effect. Very low budget.

by Anonymousreply 100July 12, 2022 8:27 PM

Take heart, R100. Easy install, easy de-install. In 10 years, maybe bold black graphic patterns will be in, or faux-60s Congoleum vintage patterns, and your cheap flooring can be replaced with something more "in."

I know I may be blackballed by the DL queens, but I think that, in this scary economic climate, there should be a moratorium on mocking choices people make to save money. Times are uncertain and sometimes decor isn't at the top of one's list of necessities.

by Anonymousreply 101July 12, 2022 8:44 PM

We took your suggestion under advice, R101, and decided there shan’t be any moratorium on criticising people for poor design choices.

We remain true to the creed found on our crest and embroidered on our timeless caftans:

🕊 FASHION ANTE PANEM 🕊

by Anonymousreply 102July 12, 2022 8:52 PM

Way to go Dutchie!

by Anonymousreply 103July 12, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote]And it makes absolute sense. If I’m not mistaken, you basically take 1/3 of the house for all types of work (cooking, washing, storage) and with a long corridor you separate it from the 2/3 meant for living and entertainment.

R90 / Yes, there is a large eat-in kitchen. It really is our family room. We eat there, play cards there, pay bills there, etc (Because of working from home during COVID, my partner has my office now.) There is a proper butler's pantry for china, glass, and silver, and a larder with a chest freezer. The laundry room is also large by American standards. On the other side, the rooms are probably smaller that normal in the USA. The living area is 14x22. Off that is a library and an office separated by a powder room.

My parents built their house in 1958. As an adult I appreciated how well it was planned out and furious with my parents for not using the design as it was intended. My father kept records in the cabinet designed for trays. The silverware drawer held extension cords and light bulbs. The drawer designed for table clothes had wrapping paper. Because of this, they bought furniture to compensate which made the rooms that were under scale because the built-ins made furniture unnecessary, very cramped. Also, much of that crap belonged in the garage.

by Anonymousreply 104July 12, 2022 10:04 PM

I LOVE avocado appliances and bathroom sinks/toilets/tubs, R63. I think being born on the Millennial-Gen X cusp has made me nostalgic somehow for the time that immediately precedes my own. I have no affection for 8-s decor but that 70s stuff...ugh, I'm starting to come around.

by Anonymousreply 105July 13, 2022 12:09 AM

R101 I hear you but that way I deal with this is separating my aesthetic opinions from my real life. In real life I'm pretty much a poor and can't afford most of the elements I love. Hell I can't even afford a house to decorate! But even poors are allowed to have opinions and personal taste.

That was badly put. What I mean is I have quite strong opinions on taste, decor etc. but I don't judge people for having differing ones, or for not having enough money to afford to live in surroundings I would consider beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 106July 13, 2022 12:15 AM

R105, you are just like a young friend of mine, except he prefers the bright colors of the early 1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 13, 2022 12:15 AM

It's very possible to make a lovely, warm, comforting, beautiful home out of the kind of earth tones that were fashionable in the early 70s. Warm browns, golds, tans, and creams go beautifully together, and the occasional touch of orange or green for a bright accent can add the last little spark needed to make a place beautiful.

BUT NOT ORANGE AND GREEN TOGETHER, R107!!! Christ, that's hideous.

by Anonymousreply 108July 13, 2022 1:42 AM

Shag carpets and that horrible 70s heavy oak furniture, usually with a dark stain.

by Anonymousreply 109July 13, 2022 1:46 AM

Here's some nice earth tones, starting with the natural warm browns of wood, and going up from there!

Of course my own dream house will be decorated in sea blues and celadons, but I can still appreciate other colors well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 13, 2022 1:47 AM

R108, funny that you should say that. Apple Green and Tangerine Orange is my least favorite color combination. Unfortunately, it has been popular in Germany for the last 15 years, and does not appear to be going anywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111July 13, 2022 1:51 AM

Vern Yip velcroing plywood panels to walls wrapped in fabric and foam that was hot glued to them.

by Anonymousreply 112July 13, 2022 2:02 AM

I love R107. It would probably get to me after awhile (that yellow is a lot) but I love it. Oh dear. Maybe I just need to give in to the 70s? Sometimes I even look at old avocado sinks and bathtubs on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 113July 13, 2022 2:06 AM

Another idea I've toyed with is turning the inside of my small apartment (I'm the poor who can't afford a house) into a spaceship. Like really going insane and fully making it look like the interior of a spaceship. It would be a lot of work and no one would think it was cool but I think maybe late at night in a certain mood, I would.

by Anonymousreply 114July 13, 2022 2:07 AM

What sort of spaceship, R114? Colorful like the bridge of the original Enterprise, gray and functional like the inside of the Death Star, or cramped like an Apollo capsule?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 13, 2022 2:21 AM

Pastels

by Anonymousreply 116July 13, 2022 2:23 AM

Like the Starship Enterprise, R115. Like a lot of digital art I see of fantasy spaceships. I even got into trying to figure out how to make a fake window with a view of space. Perhaps a super high res monitor(s) hidden in the wall somehow? And spaceship-style lighting, of course. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 117July 13, 2022 2:29 AM

There's something in this house for everyone, especially the chintz-fans and the 70s-lovers (deep pile, and it looks original)...

(Actually a very interesting house...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 13, 2022 4:10 AM

R118, you've sealed it for me!

THE WORST interior design trend of all time, bar none, is...

[drum roll]

[deliberate pause]

[more drum roll]

Wallpaper on the fucking ceiling! It is THE WORST idea ever, both hideous to behold and claustrophobic! Want to make your family feel like the ceiling is falling in and about to crush them? All you need is more wallpaper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 13, 2022 4:30 AM

But of course, the minute I realize a trend is THE WORST ever, it becomes the height of fashion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 13, 2022 4:31 AM

Minimalist. How anyone can stare at a blank taupe wall is beyond me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 13, 2022 4:41 AM

R119 that isnt wallpaper on the ceiling of the lounge in the house on R118, its moulded ornamentation - possibly original to the house or more likely added later. But I agree the examples you posted are pretty awful, especially the one in R120 which has a fuck ugly light fitting as well to really up the hideousness quotient

I'm not a great fan of wallpaer on the ceiling either, would prefer an ornate pressed tin ceiling or proper moulded plaster ornamentation as in some Regency and Victorian houses

R121 is that taupe or griege? Looks like shit either way. I loathe minimalism too

by Anonymousreply 122July 13, 2022 4:44 AM

Eight years ago neutral minimalist was all the rage. Had several friends who paid designers to do their spec houses in grays, taupes, creams. They all looked the same, like institutional airport lounges with these hung over their white fireplace mantles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 13, 2022 4:50 AM

Just learned that my "too much is never enough décor" is now called Maximalist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 13, 2022 4:53 AM

A blank wall reflects a blank mind.

by Anonymousreply 125July 13, 2022 4:54 AM

Maximalist = Drag Queen Moderne

by Anonymousreply 126July 13, 2022 4:55 AM

R124 Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 13, 2022 4:57 AM

r124, that's your actual house/apartment? It's not my style, but it's beautiful. It works.

by Anonymousreply 128July 13, 2022 5:00 AM

Given a choice between minimalist and maximalist I'll take maximalist, but I'd really rather have moderation. But at least maximalist decor is fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 13, 2022 5:07 AM

Maximalist has been The Thing in the high end design mags etc. over the past ~2 years. Which means it's about to be The Thing on a larger scale. Maximize your decor now, so you can claim credit when all your friends follow suit.

by Anonymousreply 130July 13, 2022 5:33 AM

[quote] "I interviewed a HUGE French actress in the 90's at her home and her bathroom was carpeted in plush creme-colored high pile. It was considered quite glam then."

It just defies logic, because it's filthy, R40. And I really hope it wasn't Juliette Binoche. I like her, and she doesn't seem the type.

[quote] "while that look is often referred to as Laura Ashley, it came from high end designers like Sister Parrish. I remember Park Ave apartments designed in that chintz upon chintz look. Even the lining fabrics of curtains were tiny checks. This was also used for the backs of semi-upholstered chairs."

Thanks, R41. I didn't realize that, because I detest the trend, and didn't bother to read into the subject .

by Anonymousreply 131July 13, 2022 9:30 AM

R119 and R122, That isn't wall paper or molded ornamentation. That is a putty texture. It is often used, as a cheap fix, to disguise crumbling or spongy plaster work. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 132July 13, 2022 10:40 AM

R114 Build your spaceship. I want you to.

by Anonymousreply 133July 13, 2022 6:05 PM

The presently inescapable grey-white-black color scheme.

by Anonymousreply 134July 13, 2022 6:12 PM

R132 I was wondering if it might be something like that, it just didnt look original but I couldnt tell for sure. There is also no ornate crown molding which I would have expected if there was proper plaster ornamentation on there, I just knew it wasnt wallpaper

by Anonymousreply 135July 14, 2022 4:26 AM

R112 I know a sheik who had his Mayfair townhouse salons done with quilted walls and tented ceilings. All exquisite fabrics and to beautiful effect, but man, what a fire hazard.

by Anonymousreply 136July 14, 2022 12:11 PM

R136, all of that had to be fire retardant unless it was wool. I knew someone with a ruched silk ceiling. The fire department came in each year to spray it.

by Anonymousreply 137July 14, 2022 12:45 PM

Good to know! The 19th c immense hôtel particulier on Avenue Foch is done in 1970s Art Deco. Total time warp but exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 138July 14, 2022 12:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!