Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hilton Hotels

Why are they so fucking ugly?

This is the one where Reagan was shot. I walk by it every day. It looks like Communist-era Soviet housing to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2022 5:17 PM

The ugly Beverly Hilton where the Golden Globes took place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2022 4:15 PM

The other Hilton in D.C., the Capital Hilton.

Ugly ugly ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2022 4:18 PM

Boston ugliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2022 4:19 PM

San Francisco ugliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2022 4:20 PM

Are not all inner-city hotels ugly?

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2022 4:26 PM

No, R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2022 4:28 PM

R5 This is the Willard Hotel in DC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2022 4:28 PM

If only Nancy had been the one hit that day...

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2022 4:29 PM

R5 The Fairmont in DC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2022 4:29 PM

The Willard Hotel is marginally less ugly than the others pictured on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2022 4:30 PM

R5 The Mayflower in DC, now owned by Marriott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2022 4:30 PM

R5 The Mandarin Oriental in DC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2022 4:31 PM

Watergate, DC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2022 4:34 PM

Ugh, I hate the Watergate's design.

Half of DC's architecture is a Brutalist nightmare. Why the fuck did all the federal office buildings opt for this Eastern Bloc style?

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2022 4:38 PM

The Watergate and the Mandarin are the only two pictured so far but I think look very nice

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2022 4:38 PM

You're right, OP. Those Hiltons are ugly! Not as bad as Soviet housing etc, but ugly. (If you lived in Communist-era Russia, you'd probably feel pretty lucky to live in a building like the DC Hilton)

I have no explanation, but maybe they were built during the 60s and 70s, when the emphasis was a nice, safe intertior that was insulated from the city outside, where there was rioting, violence, etc. or at least the threat/perception of it, which still affected the architecture in that era.

I'd be curious to see some lobbies/rooms/restaurants etc. Or are they ugly too?!

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2022 4:39 PM

Their interiors are not necessarily offensive looking. Most apply a "bland luxury" style with no personality. Off whites, beiges and browns with little to no color.

Of similarly classed hotels, I prefer Marriotts' interiors. In my experiences, they tend to use a lot more color and often have borderline whimsical touches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2022 4:49 PM

A JW Marriott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2022 4:49 PM

Most high end hotels have nice architecture. Most Hiltons are FUG. Even this waterfront one in San Diego is plain and kinda ugly - and this is probably the nicest Hilton I've seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2022 4:53 PM

They are shoe box hotels for middle level business travelers.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2022 5:10 PM

The Waldorf Astoria in Chicago is technically a Hilton Hotel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2022 5:17 PM

If you don't understand their design, why not crack a book and figure it out.

The older structures you reference are a bland hotel version of "international style" with a healthy dose of Bauhaus minimalism and functionality. The SF Hilton was innovative in 1964 and the tower from the 80s is Brutalist, which was once very much in fashion.

If ONLY there was a way to educate yourself on cultural and aesthetic history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2022 5:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!