Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My neighbors just told me they are moving. They are in their 70's and can't afford to live in SoCal.

They have lived in their home since 1978. They will rent somewhere they said. I feel bad. They are lovely people and great neighbors.

Remodel will happen sadly. I live in housecow and houseoaf central in Los Angeles. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2022 12:00 AM

[quote]live in housecow and houseoaf central in Los Angeles.

Come again?

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2022 8:22 PM

What expenses? They probably have no housing costs and property taxes are low compared to everywhere else, especially since they've been there so long. They're stupid to leave. They're probably making a forture on their sale and are just making up a sob story.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2022 8:23 PM

OP I love housecows

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2022 8:24 PM

They’ll probably make pretty big bucks off of the sale of their home. Yes it’s sad they have to move but at least they’ll have some $!

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2022 8:26 PM

I feel bad for those that sold just before the rush, then “rented for awhile” and were being choosy about buying again. A client this morning mentioned this and she’s an older realtor!

Unless you’re downgrading into a smaller condo, many of these people are too late and will burn through their savings. They’re priced out now.

The market is not going to fold anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2022 8:30 PM

[Quote]property taxes are low compared to everywhere else, especially since they've been there so long.

What? Property taxes rise every year and that affects people on a fixed income, unless CA is different than the NE.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2022 8:31 PM

Perhaps they borrowed against their home equity? Or R2 is correct and they are just making up a story.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2022 8:32 PM

R6, California is different concerning property taxes.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2022 8:34 PM

For the most part, California property taxes are based on purchase price. There may be a 2% increase in that assessed price per year but that's not universal. There are also exceptions for older people.

They're lying to you, OP. California is only priced out for new arrivals.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2022 8:38 PM

R6, under California law (Prop 13), property valuations can only go up 1-2% per year. So the same $1M house might have a yearly tax bill of $3000 or $20,000, depending on when it was last sold.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2022 8:41 PM

Anyone that sells a house they bought in 1978 in order to rent, in this market… is not playing with a full deck.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2022 8:42 PM

It could be they ran out of savings. Selling and downsizing is a good idea, but only if they stay in California. They can transfer the prop tax assessment that they pay now to a new property via Prop 19. They also don't have to pay capital gains.

So a quaint mobile home in a cute central California town would be a good financial idea.

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2022 8:51 PM

They still have to pay the difference in taxes if they buy a more expensive home, like if they sold their LA home for a million and bought a condo in SFO for 1.5 million, they would have to increase their taxes on the 500K part, thats like if they could get a condo for that price…

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2022 9:24 PM

r13 But they wouldn't do that, because that defeats the purposed of what they are doing.

But, yes. You are correct about how Prop19 works.

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2022 10:05 PM

sad.

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2022 10:17 PM

The old couple may have been duped into getting a reverse mortgage in order to try to stay afloat. I know someone like that who was lucky enough to be able to sell his New York house for good money during the pandemic to a developer and had just enough left over after paying back the reverse mortgage with high interest to buy a (bigger, better) house in the south.

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2022 10:23 PM

If their house has been paid off for years, they’ve had no housing costs (other than maintenance and taxes) for a long time. There’s no excuse for not saving money over that time and now being unable to “stay afloat”.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2022 10:27 PM

They are probably right wing assholes who belong in Texas or Florida

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2022 10:31 PM

Not sorry. They have a house that will sell for a king's ransom. They will have great opportunities if they stay as the bright poster above has stated.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2022 10:31 PM

I lived in San Diego for 19 years, until I was 66, at which point I realized I couldn’t afford to retire and still continue to live there.

So I sold my condo, and moved to St. Pete, Florida, where I bought a great place only 10 minutes from the beach. St. Pete was far more affordable when I moved here 7 years ago.

No regrets.

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2022 10:35 PM

Just make sure you don't say gay r20.

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2022 10:38 PM

Affordable how, R20? What were the expenses that priced you out?

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2022 10:39 PM

They just can’t stand living next to you anymore, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2022 10:52 PM

[Quote] They just can’t stand living next to you anymore, OP.

They actually love me. I house sit while they are gone. They had a cat and dog.

by Anonymousreply 24July 5, 2022 11:10 PM

OP / R24 What happened to the cat and the dog?

by Anonymousreply 25July 5, 2022 11:15 PM

R17 Just because someone owns a house doesn't mean they're rolling in money. They're probably retired and thus on a fixed income. You can only keep staying where you live for so long before you're no longer able to afford the multitude of taxes.

There are many reasons why an elderly couple might not have a lot of money tucked away at their age. Maybe they never made much through life to begin with. Maybe they had a family and spent most of their money putting their kids through school. Maybe they got hit with medical bills. Bad investments. Maybe they gave a lot to charity. Or were keeping someone else afloat. Maybe a family member or "friend" conned them out of money.

You don't seem to have any experience with the real world or the majority of people who live in it. Or maybe you're just a cunt, R17.

Speaking of cunts, R18 sure does love to accuse people of being bigots while spewing his own bigotry about people he doesn't even know (just someone a stranger posted about on an anonymous forum).

by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2022 11:17 PM

OP not telling the whole story. He has been engaging in homo erotic with the old guy. The wife found out and filed for divorce. No big deal.

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2022 11:28 PM

[Quote] What happened to the cat and the dog?

Cat was eaten by a coyote and the dog died of old age.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2022 11:42 PM

R28 Ok

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2022 11:43 PM

I know pre covid the wife was having autoimmune issues and was in the hospital for a short time. It lingered for 6 months or so but she has been fine since then. They had to take $ out of their equity to pay the medical bills. They are/were self employed therapists.

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2022 12:20 AM

[R24]: I realized that, even with taking Social Security, I would still have to continue working full-time to continue living there. And I wanted to stop working and retire.

Which I have been able to do.

And, folks, don’t think I left some liberal enclave, because San Diego is really a rightwing bastion, with many ex-military residents. It was no accident that Mitt Romney lived in La Jolla.

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2022 12:24 AM

Enjoy your fascist dictatorship r20.

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2022 12:27 AM

R30 Then why are you surprised they're broke?

by Anonymousreply 33July 6, 2022 12:41 AM

[Quote] Then why are you surprised they're broke?

Where did I say that?

by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2022 1:33 AM

Having been born and raised in Santa Monica, with lots of relatives and friends still living in the Westside area, I know and talk to a lot of older people when visiting the area and understand-syhmpathize with some of the issues these longtime residents are dealing with. But in order to know whether to feel sad or not, I'd need to know where the couple you're talking about are moving to.

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2022 1:49 AM

People think these folks are "making up a story" that they can't afford to live in Southern California? I guess you don't follow current events?

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2022 1:52 AM

[Quote] I'd need to know where the couple you're talking about are moving to.

They will rent still in the SGV somewhere. I said is rent affordable? I didn't go any further.

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2022 2:34 AM

Forgot to say they are staying in the same area SGV for now until their youngest daughter has her baby by the end of this year.

by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2022 3:31 AM

"Cat was eaten by a coyote and the dog died of old age."

That's what the OP told them and they bought it.

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2022 12:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!