Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bed Bath and Beyond: Sad last days!

I’m surprised they lasted this long.

I liked Linens N Things better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 11, 2023 3:37 AM

It never really hooked me. Theoretically, I should have loved it. But every time I went nothing appealed to me. Plus, I found the layout unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2022 1:27 PM

I can't remember the last time I was in one. Everything they sell you can find at Target, Walmart or Kohl's cheaper

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2022 1:32 PM

Its an ugly overstuffed store with narrow prisonlike spaces. LNT was more visually pleasing.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2022 1:33 PM

Maybe they shouldn’t have stopped mailing out those 20% off one item coupons they used to send. Once they stopped doing that, I quit going because they were too expensive otherwise.

I also agree the layout is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2022 1:34 PM

It's an odd distinction to make, and it's not a common topic of conversation, but when it does come up I find that people always prefered Linens N Things. I know I did.

BB&B may be "frantic"; they send me at least two emails every day with coupon savings. The stores used to be comfortable, well-stocked, smelled good, music playing, plenty of salespersons to help...and now they are depressing caverns with no one to help and shitloads of crappy products off the boat from China.

But I guess that's pretty much all brick and mortar stores these days.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2022 1:35 PM

Their interrogation process at checkout is reason enough not to shop there. They make it impossible to checkout out without giving your phone number, email, zip code, blood type, what you had for breakfast and the date you last had sex. If you give them a bogus email or phone number it turns in to a manager must override the transaction situation. Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2022 1:39 PM

It's the kind of store that gives you visual fatigue. It really has looked exactly the same since day one. They could take a page from Target. Target is always changing things out and looking fresh when you walk in the door. Target has fantastic ad campaigns. People buy that sort of stuff from Target now because it's just visually more appealing than BBB.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2022 1:40 PM

It's become the "As Seen on TV" store, selling all that crap

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2022 1:41 PM

Damn. I still have a bunch of their coupons. The store near me used to accept them no matter what their expiration date was and you could use as many as you had.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2022 1:44 PM

The Target nearest to me is dreadful, run by teenagers and blaring awful rock music. There is one near the local mall that is significantly better. I am too old to want to hear BOOM CHICKA BOOM unless it signals the arrival of someone ready and available to rub my aching feet. I agree the lay-out for BBB was dismal. Perhaps find a CCC theme. Change the name to Cookies, Crumbs, and Cartels, and move the outfit to Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2022 1:52 PM

The now-ousted CEO had only been there for about a year, brought in to revitalize their slumping sales at a time when sales should have been booming, but he missed the obvious issues that were in plain sight and instead focused on the same thing that rescue-CEOs always do: lowering prices by lowering quality.

I've bought my sheets from BBB for decades. They bought and owned the Wamsutta brand, one that goes back something like 150 years. It had brand equity apart and aside from BBB. About a year ago, I needed a new set so stopped in and was shocked to find that the brand was gone. I asked one of the friendly and helpful sales associates (after trying to find one for 10 minutes) who said that the entire brand was eliminated and the inventory sold off at 50% off months earlier. The new brand, she pointed to, was drastically inferior in quality and frankly, looked cheap. I told her I wasn't interested in paper-thin sheets made in China, and she shrugged her shoulders and said "me either, I bought a half-dozen Wamsutta sets when they went on sale."

I came home, went online and bought the equivalent sheets from Macy's for the same as I would have paid BBB even with the 20% coupon. I haven't been back to BBB except when hubby wanted some cooking utensils and was sorely disappointed that those, too, were no longer the previous quality. He picked up an ice cream scoop and on squeezing the handle to test it, broke the plastic tines on the tension wheel — and that was just scooping air.

They still snail mail me at least one 20% off coupon a month, and at least one a week via email.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2022 2:18 PM

Haven’t been there in at least a decade. Frau central

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2022 2:26 PM

R11

Ha. I feel ya. I went there for sheets. No Wamsutta. What? They have ONE brand of sheets. No selection.

So now I know what happened to Wamsutta quality in sheets and towels. Thanks. Didn't know BB&B bought them.

For those that don't know, the crap BB&B sells is their brand "Nest." Don't bother. It's shit.

Did the exact same thing; bought Macy's. I've also gotten some great deals on Ralph Lauren sheets on eBay. You have to buy the retired patterns when RL quality was primo, but that works for me.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2022 2:34 PM

They lost me for all of the reasons above plus their return policy where they refuse to accept store returns for items purchased online.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2022 2:42 PM

Weird store and the ceilings are too high. They lure you in with the coupon and hope you buy a bunch of overpriced extra, non-coupon stuff, but I'm getting 20% off of that $400 vacuum and leaving!

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2022 6:28 PM

A few years back, the BBB near me changed its store inventory. What used to be the bedding displays was turned into the health and beauty section, selling toiletries, lotion, soap, baby wipes, deodorant, shit like that. I don’t go to BBB for the stuff I buy at the grocery store or Target and it made the store look even more cluttered. It was a huge miscalculation on their part.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2022 6:40 PM

I agree with most people about the "feel" of the store. I never felt comfortable being in there. I do, however, quite like Christmas Tree Shops, who BBB acquired a couple decades ago. I hope they survive. They have a lot of fun, interesting "seasonal" stuff (not just Christmas crap). That was the first place I'd ever seen those inflatable buffets, which are great for entertaining and keeping food from poisoning your guests.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2022 7:49 PM

@r10, "The Target nearest to me is dreadful"

I live in a small resort town and the Target near me is all babygays. They're all so cute and trendy. The Best Buy next door is the same. The Home Depot on the next block is Dyke central. A little slice of culture in my otherwise meh Midwestern town 🙂

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]A few years back, the BBB near me changed its store inventory. What used to be the bedding displays was turned into the health and beauty section, selling toiletries, lotion, soap, baby wipes, deodorant, shit like that. I don’t go to BBB for the stuff I buy at the grocery store or Target and it made the store look even more cluttered. It was a huge miscalculation on their part.

And the weird thing is they have all of that shit towards the front of the store when you first walk in! How stupid can they be?! They should have that dumb shit towards the back.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2022 9:48 PM

I live in a small town, R18, and have to escape to even get to the Target. Your area sounds like more fun, since we have little to no culture. It's like living in Twin Peaks.

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2022 9:50 PM

I'm bummed because if BB&B circles the drain, so will Cost Plus (same company owns both). Bed Bath was always unorganized, claustrophoic and chinzy. Cost Plus is a treasure (at least to me; I was weaned on the SF store).

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2022 12:04 AM

^ Is Cost Plus the same company as World Market? Because if so, it has gone straight down the shitter in my town.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2022 1:01 AM

I LOVE Cost Plus/World Market. Every time I visit California, I just go into to get my fix

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2022 3:06 AM

I have a good friend who works for the Target company. He gets a significant discount on everything. His entire house and his clothing are all from Target.

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2022 3:07 AM

I loved Linens 'N Things. They always had what I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2022 6:23 AM

I went into BBB a couple of weeks ago for the first time since the pandemic. It had been totally remodeled and seemed to have much less selection than before. It wasn’t an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2022 6:45 AM

Too much time on my hands: I like to call them and when they ask, "How may I direct your call?" I respond, "Beyond, please."

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2022 6:49 AM

Didn't they have anti gay leadership like Chick fil-A?

I also heard they made anti gay political donations so I don't really care about them going broke.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2022 7:16 AM

[quote] run by teenagers and blaring awful rock music.

Grandpa MARY!

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2022 10:45 AM

[quote]Weird store and the ceilings are too high.

This is exactly why I stopped worshipping at the Notre Dame.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2022 11:00 AM

When I was there recently I asked a sales person if the item that I was buying was eligible for the 20% off coupon, she said yes. I stood in line with my purchase and it turns out that the person who told me the item was 20% off was now on the checkout. She scanned the item and it refused to be discounted, she just said 'oops looks like it's not discounted' and actually crumpled up my coupon and tossed it in the trash. I left my other purchase on the checkout and left. I have been there a couple of times since and left my purchase at the front when i saw the line at the checkout and 1 person on the cash. I don't plan to go there again and I have a feeling that they won't be there much longer.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2022 11:25 AM

Haven’t been the same since they dropped the Pillow Guy.

Get woke. Go Broke.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2022 11:31 AM

The real problem is that the quality of their merchandise has gone down significantly as they switched from name brand items to store brands in many categories.

The real winner if they go under will be Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2022 11:50 AM

R10- Cookies, Crumbs and CAFTANS, the Datalounge Mecca.

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2022 12:06 PM

Target is better anyway. BB&B pissed me off when they stopped having those 20% coupons lying around at check out so you didn't have to bring one. Also their customer service is crappy and their store design feels too downscale. Let them close.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2022 12:14 PM

Kohl's used to have the best sheets under their own brand called "The Big One." I purchased 4 sets recently and the quality is shit, and the king sets now only have two pillow cases instead of four. Where are queens on a budget buying quality sheets these days?

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2022 12:21 PM

^Wait for sales at Macy's? I usually do that. If I want to splurge, I go to Cuddledown (they're having a sale right now).

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2022 12:31 PM

Our local one never was that busy. And yeah, the quality of their store brand stuff, like sheets, used to be really good. Now, they’re getting balls and tears after a dozen washings. Also, the same appliances are cheaper just about everywhere else. Although I do find their store always smells nice.

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2022 12:35 PM

R32 All the delusional deplorables on Yahoo are crying about that.😂

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2022 12:38 PM

R11 - I had the exact same problem with the Wamsutta brand bath towels at BBB. I went to BBB to get replacement bath towels and was told the same thing. Luckily BBB had what I wanted from the Wamsutta brand online (at 33% off) so I ordered more than I really needed. Like you, I will be shopping the Macy's home store from now on.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2022 12:46 PM

How about just stop buying stuff. We all own everything we will ever need right now. You have enough bedsheets for the rest of your life.

STOP BUYING STUFF

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2022 12:52 PM

LOL at their ugly stores

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2022 12:52 PM

It looks like a hoarder’s home

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2022 12:53 PM

We’ll always have this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2022 1:02 PM

R42 That’s pretty much what the one near me looks like, so they all must look like shit.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2022 2:21 PM

I wonder how their online sales are. I’ve bought stuff from them because I found a better price on the same thing being sold on Amazon. Plus patronizing a business that isn’t Amazon is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2022 2:34 PM

There are very few stores that legitimately make me feel uncomfortable to shop in, but BBB is one. Talking just the layout and presentation, not a people of walmart issue. Not sure what specifically causes that ill feeling, but it's true.

by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2022 5:02 PM

For a store that’s supposed to be about selling stuff for the home, their store looks anything but “homey” and welcoming. It looks like a cluttered warehouse and they have too much extra inventory on the floor that should be kept in the back so that people aren’t visually overwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2022 5:12 PM

I don't see how BBB is uglier than any other big box-type store. People loved BBB when it first opened. Amazon and other internet buying choices cut into BBB's popularity. But also, people are just fickle. They love something one day and then decide it's ugly the next day.

by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2022 5:31 PM

The stores are cavernous and the high ceilings weren't such an issue before because there were colorful products stacked high, bringing your eye up and bridging the "ceiling" to eye level. In those days they had to get the ladder to get you the products you saw up there. Now, those shelves and stacks are largely empty so the roof seems impossibly high and you feel small and lost.

And I could swear those stores were never as dark as they are (seem) now. Different bulbs? Bright white versus soft white? Or are they trying to save money and don't turn all the lights on? Or some combination of the above?

They also smell like an old warehouse now. And I've been in stores that are completely silent. It's creepy.

Add that to low inventory, and what inventory is there is crap, and it's not a good shopping experience.

I still long for those days when there were aisles and aisles of towels and sheets, in every color imaginable, and a large selection of brands. A floor that would have 10 or more beds completely set with sheets and duvets and blankets, and the matching stock would be piled high. Aisles of rugs. Aisles of curtains and drapes. High quality pots and pans and appliances and every kitchen implement one could think of. Quality stuff.

Those days are gone.

I'm not a display professional, so maybe someone can explain it better. But as a consumer - one that obviously spends stupid amounts of time considering such things - this all contributes to why I no longer shop there.

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote]People loved BBB when it first opened.

Uh…BBB opened in 1971. Tastes change after 51 years, my dear.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2022 5:34 PM

As someone else stated, they have so many garbage products that have little to nothing to do with the home (candy, beauty products, seasonal decorations, etc) and it just clutters the store.

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2022 5:38 PM

Article from today: "dumpster fire"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2022 3:19 AM

BB&B CEO OUT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2022 3:29 AM

The store always smells like burnt tires. Cheap Chinese plastic.

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2022 3:40 AM

Killed ... by Amazon. Last few times I tried to use a 20% coupon on a BBY purchase I discovered that the discounted price matched what was already on offer at Amazon. And many manufacturers bar discounts on their products (like Breville). So, why bother...

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2022 3:46 AM

I like getting my Sodastream refill exchanges from there because you can always use coupons with them. Where do I go if they go under? At Kroger they don't have people at the service desk half the time.

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2022 3:59 AM

They don’t even send me coupons anymore so I definitely don’t go anymore.

by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2022 10:36 AM

Really? I get coupons from them in my email at least 3 times a day.

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2022 11:27 AM

R59 - So do I!!!!

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2022 11:57 AM

WTF? .. It's a meme stock now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2022 9:01 PM

R59, You get mail 3 times a day? Your postman must be exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2022 9:07 PM

They should rename it 'Karen's' because that's who shops there.

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2022 9:18 PM

Bed, Bath and Beyonce, that's what I've always called that store.

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2022 9:22 PM

Back in the day when New York City was a gay Mecca the BB&B in Chelsea on 6th Ave was always busy

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2022 9:35 PM

[36] Try Costco Kirkland Brands for good quality sheets. I picked some up after tossing the BBB set after 1 wash. You’ll love them

by Anonymousreply 66August 8, 2022 9:56 PM

R61 Ryan Cohen (Chewy, recently GameStop) became a member of the board and is pushing for hard changes.

by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2022 10:07 PM

I've always called it Bloodbath and Beyond, R64, but I think that comes from The Simpsons. I get my sheets at Kohl's now -- their Sonoma line is quite nice and often on sale. But BBB has far more kitchen products than Kohl's.

by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2022 10:11 PM

They just need a rebranding to keep up with the times. Bed Bath & Beyonce!

by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2022 10:15 PM

Wow, those of you guys who have gotten "lost" in a BBB had better never go to IKEA!

by Anonymousreply 70August 8, 2022 10:56 PM

My cousin's wife once said that her husband was the only person who ever made a purchase at Bed Bath and Beyond without using one of its coupons.

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2022 12:11 AM

I think the cashier will give you a coupon if you've forgotten to bring one. Either that, or their weekly flyer is at the front door and you can rip one out from one of those copies.

by Anonymousreply 72August 9, 2022 12:14 AM

Walmart has much better prices, there is no reason to shop anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 73August 9, 2022 12:24 AM

R66 Agree 100%. I still hit the Macy's sale but I find I have to go to higher price level now to get good quality. The Hotel Collection, as an example, they were never super fancy but a good quality. I now find that Kirklands textiles are as good at a lower price. I reread this and sound like the fauiest frau who ever fraued lol.

by Anonymousreply 74August 9, 2022 1:05 AM

R73 - Unless you hate and despise Walmart as I do.

by Anonymousreply 75August 9, 2022 12:02 PM

"I reread this and sound like the fauiest frau who ever fraued lol."

R74 - Please cease & desist speaking of me in those terms!

by Anonymousreply 76August 9, 2022 12:03 PM

R62 - read it again - *email*, not mail.

by Anonymousreply 77August 9, 2022 12:07 PM

BB&B has been going downhill since the start of the pandemic. They still have nothing in their stores. Everything I ask for they say has to be ordered online. They're the next Pier 1.

by Anonymousreply 78August 9, 2022 12:29 PM

R78 - I had the exact same experience with BB&B three months ago.

by Anonymousreply 79August 9, 2022 1:16 PM

r21 r22 r23 BBB sold offf Cost Plus/World Market a while back, so no need to worry.

by Anonymousreply 80August 9, 2022 1:41 PM

Damn. Now I’ll have to shop at my local Sheets ‘n Shit.

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2022 2:03 PM

I still miss Gemco.

by Anonymousreply 82August 13, 2022 2:44 AM

"It never really hooked me. Theoretically, I should have loved it. But every time I went nothing appealed to me. Plus, I found the layout unpleasant. "

R1 articulated my feelings exactly. I had nothing overtly against it, but it never stuck and I rarely looked to go there. BBB even had pop culture cache - featured in shows with characters, like in Broad City, singing its praises. But I never got the appeal, even with the ever-present 20% off coupons.

by Anonymousreply 83August 13, 2022 2:52 AM

You gay boys are buying way too much. Stop! Remember, people first, then money, then things!

by Anonymousreply 84August 13, 2022 2:54 AM

[quote]Remember, people first, then money, then things!

I thought we couldn't buy people anymore.

by Anonymousreply 85August 13, 2022 3:32 AM

Did you look at my stock price today, fuckers? Up 65%.

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2022 6:25 PM

They used to sell tubs of Miss Meringues so cheaply!

I went on a secret meringue and Bloody Mary and coke/cigarette diet in college and lost weight quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2022 6:32 PM

I've never shopped there. Waaaay overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2022 6:41 PM

What will Laurie Grenier do with all the crap she makes deals for on SHARK TANK?

by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2022 6:49 PM

Walmart's a zoo and the people are animals Even the parking lot is scary. The lines are long and filled with people and their overflowing carts and the aisles are hard to navigate. There's a reason why people fought to keep Walmarts out of their to

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2022 8:33 PM

^ out of their town

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2022 8:55 PM

Shad Lash Daysh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2022 3:21 PM

[quote]The big-box chain - once considered a so-called "category killer" in home and bath goods - has seen its fortunes falter after an attempt to sell more of its own brand, or private label, goods.

What? No one told them that their own brand was shit?

See the link for details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2022 6:23 PM

When I moved to LA in the late 1990s, all the male employees at BBB were gay.

Nowadays, when I go in there, I don't notice many gay employees. See a lot more straight employees.

by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2022 6:45 PM

Great, I can't wait for the steep discounts, so I can stock up on essentials

by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2022 9:13 PM

Essential Chinese crap is an oxymoron, dear.

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2022 9:17 PM

It's not that sad. Only in that there will be another ugly empty store in my city.

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2022 9:23 PM

Fill the empty stores with migrants.

by Anonymousreply 98August 31, 2022 9:28 PM

When BBB dumped Mike “My Pillow” Lindell, he must have put a curse on them.

by Anonymousreply 99September 1, 2022 9:30 PM

There are no inspiring decor displays. You might be able to find things that you like by rooting through rows upon rows of curtains for example, or bedding, but they treat those areas like they do their small appliances. There are ways of merchandising that will draw a shopper in without taking too much floor space.

by Anonymousreply 100September 2, 2022 11:58 AM

a few years ago, one of the stores had massive clearance sales and I bought some new curtains for the house.

by Anonymousreply 101September 2, 2022 2:54 PM

Uhm…this will leave a gaping hole (in the market) for me.

by Anonymousreply 102September 2, 2022 2:59 PM

R102, have you been there this week? Have the discounts started?

by Anonymousreply 103September 2, 2022 3:04 PM

I was in one the other day. I was shocked, BBB is a shell of its former self. There was almost no merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 104September 2, 2022 3:08 PM

The BBB in WLA was once the second biggest grossing store in the nation behind the one in Times Square. I was there a couple of months ago and it was empty, both the store and no customers. It was obvious that it was in it's final days. Sad because I love the store but the selection has gotten so weak that there's no reason to go in anymore.

by Anonymousreply 105September 2, 2022 3:19 PM

It seems like a lot of the big box stores that specialized in one type of merchandise are dead or dying. Toys'R'Us, the various office supply stores (Staples/Office Depot/OfficeMax) which keep merging and downsizing, the linens/home goods places (BB&B, Linens & Things, Anna's Linens), the electronics places (Fry's, Circuit City, CompUSA--and Best Buy isn't doing that well), eclectic and import stuff (Pier 1, Cost Plus World Market--which is doing better now that Pier 1 is gone and they're out from under BB&B ownership).

by Anonymousreply 106September 2, 2022 4:09 PM

Call me 'Mary!', but the truth of R106 I find very depressing. I miss all those stores and choices, as I do other categories of stores. I fear much, if not all of that destruction, is due to Amazon, and to a lesser degree Walmart (which I hate) and Target (which I love.)

I guess I am older and a Luddite.

Still makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 107September 2, 2022 4:38 PM

I miss going to stores too! I hate Amazon

by Anonymousreply 108September 2, 2022 5:42 PM

I think the various reports talk about how there is still a place for BBB but they made so many money mistakes. Their other big mistake was trying to push their own brands, which is not what anyone goes to BBB for. It also has caused the empty shelves because their own brands were manufactured in China and the backup during the pandemic and beyond was real, whereas larger national brands have their own distribution in the States.

Whatever the reasons, I hope they can recover. But I do agree that I don't go to their stores for their lousy and overpriced brands. I do think the stores will start to dry up and there will be only a handful of BBB in the big cities nationwide but they could be successful if run independently.

by Anonymousreply 109September 2, 2022 9:11 PM

[quote]I hate Amazon

I love Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 110September 2, 2022 9:13 PM

R73 oh my!

by Anonymousreply 111September 2, 2022 9:17 PM

r107, there was a 700% increase in sexual assaults of women in Target stores during the year following their change to "gender neutral" bathrooms, i.e. allowing men who "identify as women" into the women's restrooms, no questions asked. 700%. Great company.

by Anonymousreply 112September 2, 2022 9:21 PM

My grocery store has a whole suite of single occupancy bathrooms. Well I guess technically two men could do their business as there's a urinal and toilet in each one. But, the toilet is just in the room, not within a stall, and all the bathrooms lock.

I always wonder if people hook up in there. Not employees, that MUST happen at times, but cruise-y shoppers.

by Anonymousreply 113September 2, 2022 10:01 PM

R112

Did not know that, but it may have more to do with the bathrooms than the company. Plenty of places have gender neutral bathrooms. Hospitals, municipal buildings, etc. This may be forest and trees.

Will research.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 114September 2, 2022 10:24 PM

R107 - Just to chime in with chorus ......... I hate Walmart too! I love Target too!

by Anonymousreply 115September 3, 2022 12:24 PM

I’m about to link to the daily mail so will share my comment here. This is pretty sad 😞

by Anonymousreply 116September 4, 2022 12:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117September 4, 2022 12:13 PM

When a retail store has non-stop sales, you know it's in trouble.

The merchandise they're now selling is garbage. They stopped selling anything remotely resembling quality stuff a while back. Selection is down and they mostly sell no-name brands of stuff - it resembles the Dollar Store. I used to like it for household items.

by Anonymousreply 118September 4, 2022 1:06 PM

And it's not just that they're selling their own brands, which are indeed shit, their shelves are empty because of production and distribution problems with their own brands. I think they can still come back, albeit in much more limited form, but they have to make sure it's a store people want to go to.

by Anonymousreply 119September 4, 2022 1:55 PM

I think they sold off the Christmas Tree Shop and Cost Plus/World Market chains earlier this year. Sold them to private equity - who will also destroy them!

by Anonymousreply 120September 4, 2022 1:56 PM

[quote]Bed Bath & Beyond revamped its merchandise in recent years to focus on private-label products including its Our Table brand cookware.

[quote]The chain is now ditching that strategy, nixing three of its private label brands, and reprioritizing national brands with labels including Calphalon, Ugg, Dyson, and Cuisinart underpinning that strategy, executives said on a conference call.

Too little, too late. What highly paid bozo on the C Floor thought selling shit products would revive a failing store?

We told ya, butcha didn't listen.

by Anonymousreply 121September 4, 2022 2:23 PM

I was still seeing brands like cuisinart in the small appliance section. It’s the softer goods like bedding etc that seemed to be a huge miss.

A lot of “as seen on tv” stuff too.

by Anonymousreply 122September 4, 2022 2:27 PM

Such drama!

by Anonymousreply 123September 4, 2022 2:37 PM

I will be checking out the store in chelsea next week to see for myself.

by Anonymousreply 124September 4, 2022 2:43 PM

The CFO “plunged” to his death on Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 4, 2022 2:51 PM

I fail to see why anyone needs a huge big box store to buys some bed clothes, towels, and few household items. They have sold oceans of hideous Chinese crap to overspending fraus for decades. Good riddance. Almost all that crap is going to landfills where it will never decompose.

by Anonymousreply 126September 4, 2022 2:54 PM

I think such stores are needed, you need to touch towels to know their quality. you cannot tell that from online pictures. I suppose now people will have to go to TJ maxx or marshalls for household items etc. they don't have a huge selection.

by Anonymousreply 127September 4, 2022 3:09 PM

[quote]I will be checking out the store in chelsea next week to see for myself.

They've literally cut that store in half.

by Anonymousreply 128September 4, 2022 3:16 PM

BBB used to be great. Amazon killed them.

by Anonymousreply 129September 4, 2022 3:24 PM

REVEALED: Bed Bath & Beyond CFO who leapt to his death from New York's famed 'Jenga' building is accused of role in 'pump and dump' scheme that artificially inflated value of flailing company and cost shareholders $1.2 BILLION

by Anonymousreply 130September 4, 2022 3:33 PM

Gustavo Arnal, 52, is listed as one of the defendants in a class action lawsuit brought by a group of shareholders who claim they lost around $1.2billion when Arnal and majority shareholder Ryan Cohen engaged in a 'pump and dump' scheme.

The lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia on August 23, claims Cohen had approached Arnal about a plan to control shares of Bed Bath and Beyond so they could both profit.

As part of the plan, the lawsuit claims, Arnal 'agreed to regulate all insider sales by BBBY's officers and directors to ensure that the market would not be inundated with a large number of BBBY shares at a given time.'

He then allegedly issued 'materially misleading statements made to investors regarding BBBY's strategic company plans, financial condition... and reports of shares holding and selling' to help increase share prices.

By the time Arnal sold over 42,000 shares in the company two weeks ago it was valued at $1 million, according to MarketBeat.com.

The lawsuit was then filed just one week before Arnal took his own life by jumping from the 18th floor of the famous 'Jenga' tower in lower Manhattan's Tribeca neighborhood on Friday.

The class action lawsuit was brought by Virginia resident Pengcheng Si on behalf of all those who purchased Bed Bath & Beyond stocks between March 25 and August 18.

They are now seeking damages for the alleged 'pump and dump' scheme, claiming Cohen offered to purchase a large stake in the company, including call options on more than 1.6 million hares with prices between $60 to $80.

In exchange, the suit alleges, Arnal would ensure that insiders would not flood the market with the stock.

He did so, allegedly by making 'materially misleading statements and omissions' about the company's financial standing in an effort to artificially inflate the share price,' the suit says

'Through mid August 2022, BBBY appeared — from the company's public statements and financial reporting to be a successful turning-around company,' it alleges.

But in reality, it says, Arnal 'blatantly misrepresented the value and profitability of [the company] causing BBBY to report revenues that was fictitious [and] announce publicly that the company is successfully on the way spinning off Buybuy Baby to 'unlock full value' of this 'tremendous asset.'

Buybuy Baby, though, was not actually doing well financially, the lawsuit claims. Then on August 16, Cohen filed a document to the Securities and Exchange Commission saying he owned 9,450,100 share, including 1,670,100 shares under certain call options.

It also claimed he held onto his April call options that would only begin to pay out if the stock hit $60 a share before January 20, 2023.

He was soon granted three seats on the board of the company, the lawsuit alleges, but had actually sold most of his shares in the company at that point.

Instead, the lawsuit claims, Cohen 'submitted [the document] for the purpose of creating [a] buying frenzy of BBBY stocks so that Cohen can finish selling his shares at [an] artificially inflated price.'

Stock prices rose 75 percent that day, the lawsuit alleges. But unbeknownst to share holders, it claims, that same day, Cohen also filed a form signifying his intent to sell the remainder of his shares and call options.

It was not disclosed to the public until the market closed the following day, when shares tumbled from a record high of $30 per share to around $22.50 a share.

Then after Arnal and Cohen filed a form saying they sold all their shares on August 16, the stock down 45 percent to $16.16.

It then continued to plummet to $8.78 on August 23 — down more than 70 percent from its high of $30 a share. By September 4, Bed Bath and Beyond was trading at just $8.63.

by Anonymousreply 131September 4, 2022 3:35 PM

The lawsuit also claims that as the CFO, Arnal knew about Cohen's false filings with the SEC.

It further claims they discussed their exit strategy with JP Morgan Securities LLC before they sold off their shares.

It says they 'have done so for self-serving, improper and bad faith reasons, namely a desire to profit from the sales of their BBBY shares' and 'have violated their fiduciary duty by making false filings, issuing misleading statements and pumping and dumping BBY shares.'

The suit then claims JP Morgan Securities aided and abetted the operation 'to launder over $110 million worth of illegal insider trading proceeds.' DailyMail.com has reached out to Bed Bath and Beyond for comment.

Arnal's stock dump came the same day a 20-year-old college student made $110million by selling all of his Bed Bath and Beyond stock - but he did so just before the retailer's stock price slumped 23 percent after its second-biggest shareholder indicated plans to sell his entire holding.

Jake Freeman, an applied mathematics and economics major at the University of Southern California, invested in nearly five million Bed Bath & Beyond shares at $5.50 a share in July, spending a total of $25 million with the help of a wealthy pharmaceutical investor uncle.

As a result, he became a minority shareholder by owning around six percent of America's largest houseware goods specialty stores as it became the latest ailing retailer to see a surge in its value thanks to the ongoing 'meme stock' boom.

That sees amateur investors snap up stock in companies seen as past-their-best, helping to drive the share price up and making some lucky stockholders who sell at the right time millions of dollars.

Freeman, whose family resides in the New York City area, then roughly sold more than $130million worth of stock on August 16 similarly to Arnal, after the retailer's stock price surged to $27 a share.

Just one week after the damning lawsuit was filed, Arnal plunged to his death from the 18th floor of the swanky so-called Jenga building in Manhattan's Tribeca neighborhood.

Authorities say calls regarding the jump at 56 Leonard Street near Church Street came in at around 12:30pm Friday.

Arnal was identified as the jumper at the 57-story building - where apartments go for up to $50million - on Friday afternoon, according to the New York Post.

The city's EMS officials responded to the incident and were seen carrying the man's body off in a black bodybag.

A second person, also unidentified, was hospitalized with minor injuries, according to a spokesperson for the FDNY.

A woman was seen looking distraught and crying near the building before eventually entering the ambulance. The FDNY spokesperson could not confirm the age or gender of the person hospitalized.

by Anonymousreply 132September 4, 2022 3:35 PM

[quote]BBB used to be great.

I walked into one recently and I said to the employee near the door, "OMG! I don't even recognize this place!" It seemed so empty.

She was the first--and last--employee I saw on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 133September 4, 2022 3:40 PM

R132 the article was posted already - no need to copy and paste every word today v

by Anonymousreply 134September 5, 2022 1:17 PM

I loved the one on 6th Avenue off of Chelsea. It was very convenient and seemed so "gay New York" back in the day. I started using Amazon during lockdown and a few weeks ago couldn't figure out the sizes etc from the Amazon display so I went up to BB&B. Yes I was shocked at how empty it was.

I hope they keep the Chelsea one open nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 135September 5, 2022 1:43 PM

Shad lash daysh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136January 5, 2023 2:35 PM

Where are all the Trad Wives?

by Anonymousreply 137January 5, 2023 2:43 PM

[quote]I think they sold off the Christmas Tree Shop and Cost Plus/World Market chains earlier this year. Sold them to private equity - who will also destroy them!

On the contrary -- I think Cost Plus/World Market has improved markedly since it was rescued from under BB&B ownership. Based on what I saw at Christmas, it was back to its earlier glory days. Well-merchandised and VERY busy.

by Anonymousreply 138January 5, 2023 3:13 PM

It’s going to be a sad world when it’s just Amazon left.

by Anonymousreply 139January 7, 2023 1:18 AM

[quote] …sheets and duvets and blankets, and the matching stock would be piled high. Aisles of rugs. Aisles of curtains and drapes. High quality pots and pans and appliances and every kitchen implement one could think of. Those days are gone.

Mary!!

by Anonymousreply 140January 9, 2023 10:19 AM

Anyone visited recently? Anything good left?

by Anonymousreply 141January 11, 2023 3:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!