Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is Meryl's performance in "Plenty" (1985) so unknown?

She played a manic depressive Englishwoman in the post-World War 2 years, who finds herself missing the excitement of those years and hating the social repression of peacetime. It's a hugely impressive performance because she is truly the lead character, so able to bring out all the positive and negative attributes of Susan with great skill. Charles Dance plays her snooty but caring husband and Tracey Ullman is her promiscuous roommate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 18, 2022 1:12 AM

Because the film looks like a bloody bore like so many of Mery's other 80s movies: Out of Africa, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Still of the Night, Sophie's Choice, Heartburn, Falling in Love and Ironweed

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2022 4:09 PM

All I could hear in that clip was “click…click…click”

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2022 4:09 PM

Tracey Ullman was the only spark of life in the film.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2022 4:13 PM

She sucked rocks.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2022 4:16 PM

Never even heard of it. I'll check it out, thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2022 4:16 PM

Wow, she could have played the ultimate Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2022 4:18 PM

Her British accent is unbearable

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2022 4:19 PM

Here is Tracey Ullman talking about when that production ended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2022 4:20 PM

OP you provided the best answer just look at that clip it's unbearable

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2022 4:21 PM

I saw that thing, OP.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2022 4:23 PM

This is the one I thought she sounded South African in. I love the film though.

by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2022 4:23 PM

A real bore though I did like Tracey in it, and M has some good scenes with Sting. M went on to do a much better film with director Fred Schepisi three years later - “A Cry In The Dark” aka “Evil Angels”.

I also loved the score - Bruce Smeaton, who went on to score “Evil Angels”.

I wish M and Tracey had both starred in “Outrageous Fortune” instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2022 4:32 PM

It's one of those films that screams "Nominate me!" and ended up forgotten because of "Out of Africa". Ullman was rightfully praised though. Maybe not a complete bore, but I found it excruciatingly depressing. "Night Mother" is a comedy in comparison. I watched it once back in the '80s and again a few years ago, and time hadn't changed my feelings about it. Usually my feelings about certain films do change because of maturity, but that one ended up being plenty of nothing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2022 4:42 PM

Because of Meryl’s success, Plenty is trotted out as a play that talented, patrician and not quite gorgeous young actresses who want to make a name for themselves as their generation’s Meryl vie to be a part of (surprised Jessica Chastain hasn’t tried to mount a production). But it’s not very good, and that is the fault of the mediocre David Hare.

It would have been nice to see Kate Nelligan, but hey ho.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2022 6:11 PM

I saw Plenty on TV when I was 9 and the sight of the non-sexual Meryl Streep riding Sting was an early sign that women were NOT for me.

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2022 6:14 PM

I think it is in part that Streep's performance falls so short of Nelligan's performance. Plenty is a terrible play and Streep exposes its poor quality. Nelligan elevated the material so much that it seemed much better.

Without Nelligan, it might have counted as mediocre Streep, but when it came out Streep was eviserate by the comparison.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2022 6:23 PM

Fred Schepisi is a good director.

David Hare is a great playwright.

Meryl Streep, Charles Dance, Tracey Ullman, Ian McKellen, Sam Neill, Sting, and Sir John Gielgud are all good actors.

Plenty is a beautiful drama film that takes place over forty years, it was not a movie for the masses. 1985's biggest movies were Back to the Future, Rambo II, Rocky IV, The Goonies, and The Jewel of the Nile.

Out of Africa and The Color Purple were big, too. There was no room for Plenty. Sometimes things just fail.

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2022 6:34 PM

Charles Dance is the actor Tracey was talking about. They both hated working with him.

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2022 6:59 PM

Why, r18?

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2022 7:05 PM

It didn't get much attention as Out Of Africa was a huge hit that year, but Meryl is terrific in it and nails the nihilism of the confused and bitter character. John Gielgud was good too in his small part.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2022 7:17 PM

R18, Charles Dance was an absolute dream to work with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2022 7:23 PM

[quote]It didn't get much attention as Out Of Africa was a huge hit that year, but Meryl is terrific in it

That was the same year I made my tragically overlooked Maxie, which was overshadowed by my equally brilliant Jagged Edge.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2022 7:34 PM

[quote]It didn't get much attention as Out Of Africa was a huge hit that year, but Meryl is terrific in it

That was the same year I turned in an incredible performance in Rocky IV, but all anyone talked about was my stunning interpretation of the title character in Red Sonja.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2022 7:49 PM

I enjoyed Plenty.

It's very British in that its quite restrained. But Iiked it. Especially enjoyed seeing Sting.

Have often wondered why it is overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2022 7:58 PM

M’s performance is uneven and she falters at times with the accent.

During the promotion of the film, she said that she would return her salary for the opportunity to re-do some of her scenes.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2022 9:41 PM

People Magazine did an article about the tension between Streep and Dance when the film came out. Dance said something to the effect that they got along when they were shooting a scene where their characters got along, but otherwise not. He implied Streep was self-important and an asshole, but admitted to being an asshole himself.

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2022 6:07 AM

R14 Chastain is drop dead gorgeous. Are you kidding?

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2022 6:21 AM

The ending of the film is very moving.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2022 7:34 AM

If only on screen, Meryl got to fuck Sting at the height of his beauty. Lucky woman!

Now he looks like a crispy over-cooked chicken

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2022 8:22 AM

How odd, Sam Neil and Sting actually resemble each other.

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2022 8:28 AM

It's one of her worst. She acknowledges that she was dreadful in The French Lieut's Woman, but her acting in Plenty is genuinely ghastly. And the accent is even worse!

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2022 8:29 AM

The sad truth is that Streep can't do English voices that feel lived in. For some reason she seems to have to focus her concentration on them and it sucks the life out her performances when doing them. e.g. The Iron Lady, which was risible. Yet other accents don't seem to impact on her performance.

by Anonymousreply 32June 29, 2022 8:36 AM

I agree with her that French Lieutenant’s Woman is not her best performance, but I love that movie. Jeremy Irons at his hottest.

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2022 12:16 PM

Tracey Ullman was absolutely brilliant in this. Meryl was meh.

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2022 12:28 PM

Still of the Night makes Plenty and French Lieutenant’s Woman seem like classics

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2022 12:35 PM

I’d never seen it, though I remember seeing the “Streep… PLENTY” ads for it.

Seeing that clip, I knew instantly that it had been adapted from a play. The monologue, ugh. I’d be tempted to watch the whole thing because I adore Tracey Ullman.

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2022 12:57 PM

[quote]M went on to do a much better film with director Fred Schepisi three years later - “A Cry In The Dark” aka “Evil Angels”.

I watched that again recently and found it even better than I thought it was when it was a new film. We've had so many sensational trials since then that everyone had an opinion on, so it hit harder. When the films shows journalists complaining about how boring the forensic testimony is, wondering how they're going to sell papers with all this arcane talk about blood samples, I thought of the OJ case. Schepisi and the co-writer Robert Caswell really captured something effectively: not just the story of the Chamberlain family at the center but the way people in Australia reacted to it, how vicissitudes of public opinion shaped it.

I remember Meryl being quizzed on a talk show about which films she had received her many Oscar nominations for, and they gave her the buzzer when she guessed A Cry in the Dark. But she was right. Whoever prepared the list for the host probably had it down as Evil Angels.

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2022 1:14 PM

I really enjoyed the movie when it first came out and have been wanting to watch it again to see whether it would hold up to my memory of it. I love OP's clip of that awkward dinner party, and here's another clip from a bit earlier in that scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2022 1:15 PM

Your question, OP, should be, "Why is the film "Plenty" unknown.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2022 1:22 PM

"Streep fucking Sting" is NOT a selling point!

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2022 1:22 PM

I'm with Gielgud. "I really must go."

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2022 1:29 PM

Kate Nelligan's performance on stage people still rave about. One of the best they ever saw people say.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2022 3:07 AM

Love the scene where she states her irritation to Charles Dance about his mannerisms. "A bit of a tight corner! One hell of a spot!!!"

by Anonymousreply 43July 3, 2022 12:25 PM

BRITS, please weigh in on her accent in the OP clip!

Meryl is renowned for her flawless accents. The clip above sounds obviously bogus to me—but I am American.

I've been watching a lot of British television and all British accents are much more melodic than any American accent, with a lot more intonation that sometimes borders on musical. Meryl sounds to me in that clip like she's dropped the rhotic R but is still speaking in a flat American cadence. I find it hard to listen to. It just sounds like a really amateurish accent to me. Am I off the mark?

by Anonymousreply 44July 3, 2022 12:37 PM

Meryl's accent is good r44, she's not doing a stereotype of a posh Brit. She talks naturally.

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2022 1:11 PM

R45 Are you British?

It sounds *really* fake to me.

I've been watching reality shows—Great British Bake Off, Britain's Best Home Cook, Your Perfect Garden, etc.—with contestants who are average middle-/working-class Brits from all over the UK, and they all sound a lot 'livelier' than Streep does in that clip. She really sounds to me like an American trying to fake a nonspecific English accent.

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2022 1:16 PM

saw nelligan on stage, with edward hermann, and she was terrific and the ending is still remembered, decades late. can't even remember if saw the film or not, if so, totally forgotten

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2022 3:38 PM

To Me her accent sounds foreign. Not British.

by Anonymousreply 48July 3, 2022 8:50 PM

r46 watches the clump!

watching right now.

by Anonymousreply 49July 3, 2022 9:01 PM

The ending where they flashback to the end of the war and she says to the old Frenchman "there will be days and days and days like this" when we know there won't is really beautiful. So bittersweet.

by Anonymousreply 50July 4, 2022 8:22 AM

^ The same sentiment was uttered by Meryl in The Hours I’m not a huge Streep fan, but she gave the best performance in the film).

[quote] I remember one morning getting up at dawn, there was such a sense of possibility. You know, that feeling? And I remember thinking to myself: So, this is the beginning of happiness. This is where it starts. And of course there will always be more. It never occurred to me it wasn't the beginning. It was happiness. It was the moment. Right then.

It may have been inspired by Plenty. But Michael Cunningham is a better writer than David Hare.

by Anonymousreply 51July 4, 2022 11:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 4, 2022 11:07 AM

Instead of Plenty it should’ve been called We’ve Had Sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 53July 4, 2022 11:16 AM

You can’t even find Still of The Night anymore - Meryl’s bought up all the copies!

by Anonymousreply 54July 4, 2022 11:17 AM

The Hours is pretentious dreck.

by Anonymousreply 55July 4, 2022 11:39 AM

The Hours is a Woman's Film .

It's from 3 short stories by an amoral hack.

by Anonymousreply 56July 4, 2022 11:51 AM

Amoral writing is the most honest writing about human nature.

by Anonymousreply 57July 4, 2022 1:26 PM

Her accent is very good British received pronunciation of that era. You don't find the accent so much nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 58July 4, 2022 1:43 PM

[quote]Her accent is very good British received pronunciation of that era. You don't find the accent so much nowadays.

It's very precise. It sounds as though she's used recordings from the period as her model.

by Anonymousreply 59July 4, 2022 1:57 PM

I didn't see it but I remember that it played the arthouse circuit. I was living in Chicago and Dave Kehr panned it. He liked to take down drawing room fare and other overreaching, obviously highbrow stuff in those days. His reviews became more generous when he moved from The Reader to the Tribune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2022 2:16 PM

Cate Blanchett made her West End debut in a revival of Plenty in 1999. I didn't realise Rachel Weisz had been in a recent production. That would be more interesting than Blanchett.

Meryl's accent sounds like someone in the mid 80s doing a war time accent.

David Hare is very hit and miss as a writer. His political stuff is ridiculously preachy and really quite tedious but his adaptions of other people's work are better.

by Anonymousreply 61July 4, 2022 2:46 PM

I heard that Helen Mirren was originally considered for the role but discussions broke down over gratuitous nudity

by Anonymousreply 62July 4, 2022 3:57 PM

It is beautifully shot and has great moments, but too often feels like an adaptation of a play. I thought Streep, Ullman, Gielgood, Neil and Sting were all very good. The dinner scene is classic.

Charles Dance is the one they could not stand during filming, right?

I also love the last scene when she is young and wistful about the future. Like many of Meryl’s movies, it creates good memories.

by Anonymousreply 63July 4, 2022 4:16 PM

I remember seeing the scene where Meryl shoots the lover. She cries and fumbles with the gun and shoots it seemingly without aiming.

Nelligan argued with a steely force, left the stage came back with the gun, points and shoots. No tears. No fluffy emotion.

After I saw that clip I had no desire to see the film.

by Anonymousreply 64July 4, 2022 11:35 PM

The play is composed of a dozen or more scenes that zig zag back and forth somewhat illogically in time between WWII and the mid-60s. Does the action of the film occur in chronological order (but I assume with the flashback to the old French farmer at the end)?

I saw Rachel Weisz in The Public's revival a few years ago as well as Kate Nelligan in the original production. Weisz didn't come close and the production made a dense and complex play even less engaging.

by Anonymousreply 65July 4, 2022 11:49 PM

I think the movie goes in chronological order, except the ending that goes back in time. I remember a review saying you only could tell it jumps in time from her different hairstyles.

by Anonymousreply 66July 4, 2022 11:57 PM

R65, the play is pretty much chronological with two exceptions. The final scene chronologically is presented first. And the first scene chronologically, is presented last.

All the other scenes are presented in correct chronology.

by Anonymousreply 67July 5, 2022 12:38 AM

WHET Kate Nelligan?

by Anonymousreply 68July 5, 2022 5:23 AM

I thought she intentionally spoke in a vaguely 'European' accent, because her background was slightly ambiguous? Like a Continental European who had lived in Britain for many years. Then again, I could be very wrong--it's been ages since I saw the film.

by Anonymousreply 69July 5, 2022 5:54 AM

[quote] I remember seeing the scene where Meryl shoots the lover. She cries and fumbles with the gun and shoots it seemingly without aiming.

I really liked that scene and thought M played it perfectly. It’s the early scenes where she’s playing the young Susan that did not work, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 70July 5, 2022 7:10 AM

R70 the weepy emotionality really seemed like a bad choice. Nelligan's coolness is burned in my memory, because I think that is the character. She is decisive and takes strong action---but the world has changed so her boldness is out of place and looks like madness. Streep is the hysterical woman that post-war Britain can accept, so the larger meaning of the play got lost.

Nelligan was the cool operator that they wanted during the war but could not tolerate after.

But it is David Hare so none of the characters ever seem real no matter who plays them.

by Anonymousreply 71July 5, 2022 3:53 PM

Just like in August Osage County, Meryl couldn't let Kate Nelligan recreate her stage triumph. I mean, WTF did Meryl Streep know about being British?

by Anonymousreply 72July 6, 2022 9:36 PM

The production design and costumes are hilariously anachronistic and inaccurate.

Sting acts like a male model.

The PR for the film at the time was endless but the film underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 73July 6, 2022 10:04 PM

Kate is Canadian r72

by Anonymousreply 74July 6, 2022 11:37 PM

But lived in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 75July 8, 2022 1:00 AM

[quote]Just like in August Osage County, Meryl couldn't let Kate Nelligan recreate her stage triumph.

Yeah, that's definitely how the movie industry works. Nelligan was all set to star in screen adaptations of these properties, Meryl swooped in and stole the lead role away, and everyone involved had to bow to her.

by Anonymousreply 76July 8, 2022 5:45 AM

It looks like no one from the play was cast in the film. That also was true of August: Osage County.

by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2022 11:25 AM

The odds of Deanna Dunagan or Rondi Reed getting cast in the film version of August were always zero. Amy Morton's only slightly better chance were destroyed when Julia Roberts bought the property, which is a shame because I saw the show twice and Morton was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2022 10:21 PM

Same with the chances of Cherry Jones getting the starring role in the movie version of Doubt. Investors usually want stars with a proven track record at the Box Office.

by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2022 8:19 AM

A proven track record of over-acting and accent-mongering?

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2022 1:18 PM

R80 go shit on yourself

by Anonymousreply 81July 10, 2022 1:23 PM

Loved it when it was first released and Streeps performance in it. However, I watched it again for the first time since it was released about 6 months ago and age has not been kind to the film or anything about it. Maybe a third viewing will restore my initial admiration for it.

by Anonymousreply 82July 10, 2022 1:40 PM

Is there a Still of the Night thread? I've always enjoyed it. Meryl has always trashed it and said it's her worst movie but I think she's been in worse films.

by Anonymousreply 83July 10, 2022 11:10 PM

I watched Still of The Night at least a dozen times when it aired on HBO back in 1983! Loved it snd thought Streep was quite beautiful in it. She also had a compelling monologue near the end.

by Anonymousreply 84July 10, 2022 11:25 PM

La Streep has been at the top for pretty much her whole life as a public figure. If you were lucky enough to experience her in Yale student productions (in which Sigourney Weaver had the misfortune to be almost the same age and stuck in supporting roles, because...MERYL!), you knew this was a once-in-a-generation, incandescent talent.

It's just a shame she has so rarely worked with the greatest film directors of her time. She's been in a lot of "decent" films in which her performance was the big selling point. I feel that some of the directors she has had have been intimidated by her.

by Anonymousreply 85July 11, 2022 12:55 AM

She worked a lot with Mike Nichols. Out of Africa was with Sydney Pollack and Sophie’s Choice was with Alan Pakula. The Post was with Steven Spielberg.

Scorsese has only a handful of movies that featured a female lead, and always secondary to the men.

I would agree that she has been more commercial than a risk taker, but she has been the bread winner for her family.

by Anonymousreply 86July 11, 2022 1:02 AM

The Scorsese exception was Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore, with Ellen Burstyn

by Anonymousreply 87July 11, 2022 1:05 AM

R57 What do you mean?

Are you being sophisticated? Elliptical? Abstruse? Talking nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 88July 11, 2022 1:16 AM

She also worked with Stephen Frears, Spike Jones, Nora Ephron, and Robert Altman.

I think it would be great if she worked with Fincher, Paul Thomas Anderson or Almodovar, if the project had a good part.

by Anonymousreply 89July 11, 2022 1:23 AM

She almost worked with Almodovar but he backed out. And some believe it was PT Anderson who directed a good chunk of Prairie Home Companion.

by Anonymousreply 90July 11, 2022 1:27 AM

[quote](in which Sigourney Weaver had the misfortune to be almost the same age and stuck in supporting roles, because...MERYL!)

Sigourney also towered over the leading men, which made her difficult to cast, unless she played an Amazon warrior or performed the entire play seated or in bed.

by Anonymousreply 91July 11, 2022 1:40 AM

Also, I love Sigourney but she's a pretty limited actor. One thing I find interesting about the clips from Plenty was how striking Meryl was in her unique way. She's certainly not a classic beauty, but when she was young she could be stunning. I say this only because how interesting I find it that her oldest two daughters look so much like her yet are not at all striking beautys. Funny how talent and charisma can make such a difference in how your appearance is perceived. Meryl was/is just so watchable.

by Anonymousreply 92July 11, 2022 1:46 AM

R92, back in the late '70s and early '80s, when Meryl was on every magazine cover, heralding her as her generation's beat leading lady, many were critical of her unconventional looks (some even deeming her "ugly"). But the camera loved her. She photographed well, looked luminous, and knew well how to "give good face." Beautiful women are a dime a dozen in Hollywood, but many don't come alive on camera like Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 93July 11, 2022 5:05 AM

[quote]her generation's beat leading lady

*best

by Anonymousreply 94July 11, 2022 5:06 AM

[quote] She almost worked with Almodovar

R90 A flesh-and-blood director dealing with a mechanical woman.

by Anonymousreply 95July 11, 2022 5:29 AM

what movie did she almost work with Almodovar?

by Anonymousreply 96July 11, 2022 5:30 AM

Julieta (2016) by Pedro Almodóvar. With Emma Suárez instead of Streep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 11, 2022 5:37 AM

Almodovar knows how to make us interested in people with whom we have nothing in common.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 11, 2022 6:03 AM

Meryl was stunning in the late 70s with that amazing hair and slim body. She said she purposefully looked for roles that challenged her to look and sound different as she could see herself being typecast as this glacial, waspy blonde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 11, 2022 11:04 AM

R80 I'd say overperforming=obviously giving a performance

by Anonymousreply 100July 12, 2022 4:06 AM

Maybe you could try your shitty sociology with the the terms "class" such as middle class or upper class. Or how about popular and posh. For crissakes. Perfume counters and notion departments do not intellects.

by Anonymousreply 101July 12, 2022 4:21 AM

oops

by Anonymousreply 102July 12, 2022 4:21 AM

They are currently shooting a remake of “The River Wild”, with Leighton Meester in the M role and Adam Brody in the Kevin Bacon role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 16, 2022 1:58 PM

In retrospect it was not that good. Loved Charles Dance in it, though. But Meryl Streep was underwhelming in it.

by Anonymousreply 104July 16, 2022 2:03 PM

[quote]Because the film looks like a bloody bore like so many of Mery's other 80s movies: Out of Africa, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Still of the Night, Sophie's Choice, Heartburn, Falling in Love and Ironweed

I agree but I did like Heartburn and I like to hate watch Falling In Love

by Anonymousreply 105July 16, 2022 2:34 PM

The plum in her gob really is enormous, isn't it.

by Anonymousreply 106July 16, 2022 2:43 PM

"Once in a generation talent" my ass. She can be wonderful, but she's not head and shoulders above her peers (Close, Spacek, Weaver, Sarandon, etc.) like her excellent publicity campaigns have claimed for decades. And she's nowhere near as great as the old time greats, American or otherwise - I've said before that the scene of Jeanne Moreau walking in the rain to a jazz tune by Miles Davis in Elevator to the Gallows is much more affecting than anything I've seen by Streep, and I've seen most of her films. I'm with P. Kael and K. Hepburn (despite not being a fan of either) on this one, mimicry and technical proficiency a great actress does not make.

by Anonymousreply 107July 16, 2022 2:45 PM

She was good in Kramer and in Holocaust (which she now derides - gurl, it was one of the best things you ever did)

by Anonymousreply 108July 16, 2022 2:47 PM

[quote] that the scene of Jeanne Moreau walking in the rain to a jazz tune by Miles Davis in Elevator to the Gallows is much more affecting than anything I've seen by Streep

Mesmerising! Your taste is impeccable. Have you any more recommendations like this for more niche or obscure great actress scenes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 16, 2022 2:49 PM

[quote]Jeanne Moreau

I never liked her. I'm not sure why.

by Anonymousreply 110July 16, 2022 2:54 PM

Jeanne Moreau never lived up to the hype.

by Anonymousreply 111July 16, 2022 11:07 PM

[quote]Jeanne Moreau never lived up to the hype.

She sort of did because people really bought into her. She has a huge reputation.

by Anonymousreply 112July 16, 2022 11:21 PM

A huge reputation from snobs, New Yorkers and Bosley Crowther. She doesn't sell in Peoria

by Anonymousreply 113July 16, 2022 11:29 PM

[quote]Jeanne Moreau never lived up to the hype

What hype is that? She's a legend in French & International cinema, and has been recognized with BAFTAs, Cesars, Cannes Film Awards, etc., for her work. Has she failed to live up to the hype because she lacked blockbuster success in the US?

by Anonymousreply 114July 16, 2022 11:37 PM

There has been a lot of bashing of David Hare, whose work I usually enjoy. My favorite, though, is r51:

[quote] It may have been inspired by Plenty. But Michael Cunningham is a better writer than David Hare.

I wonder who wrote the screenplay for The Hours?

by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2022 12:23 AM

[quote] David Hare, whose work I usually enjoy

I get the impression you have to be a Red-Hot Socialist to enjoy Hare.

by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2022 2:26 AM

I get the impression you have to have only a dim understanding of human behavior to enjoy Hare.

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2022 2:35 AM

R114 Exactly...but some people on DL are midwits who think winning an Oscar, or more than one, makes a performer inherently excellent. Some great actresses have won multiple times - Ingrid Bergman, Bette Davis - but awards truly mean nothing in regards to actual talent.

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2022 2:42 AM

Many actors and actresses who have never won any Oscars - Barbara Stanwyck, Montgomery Clift, Liv Ullmann, Gena Rowlands, Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum, and Judy Garland among them - are far better than most who have. Hell, middling talent non-Oscared Lauren Bacall is a million times more watchable than Streep, who lacks any sort of heat or charisma, as proven in Plenty.

I think the idea (that Brando brought on really, so it's not Streep's fault) that audiences should expect naturalism - paired with technical proficiency - to be both the default acting style and the only valid acting style has irreparably damaged cinema as an art form as much as the summer blockbuster has.

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2022 2:54 AM

These repetitive comments criticizing Steep are so tiresome. Talk about endless masturbation that no one cares about. We get it, you are obsessed with her but have issues.

by Anonymousreply 120July 17, 2022 3:31 AM

[quote]We get it, you are obsessed with her but have issues.

"we" troll - ALERT!

by Anonymousreply 121July 17, 2022 11:40 AM

R118 why can’t you let it go Annette!!!

by Anonymousreply 122July 18, 2022 1:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!