Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fred and Ethel looked stupid together on I Love Lucy

I apologize if this has been discussed before. But Jesus Christ, William Frawley looked like an old fart next to Vivian Vance. She was younger and beautiful, and he was in his 60s and plump with his FUPA. Who the fuck made that casting decision?

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2022 5:58 AM

He was a stupid choice as Ricky's BFF as well.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 3:11 AM

You’re both showing your ignorance about Bill Frawley’s credentials for the role of Fred. The Emmy award for Vivian being plumped and aged as Ethel speaks for itself; and began an association with Ball that viewers obviously adored.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 3:26 AM

What’s FUPA?

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 3:28 AM

Fred and Ethel were supposed to look stupid together , as that is called “comedy” — Lucy and Ricky got to be the passionate lovebirds, so their friends had to be the opposite, all to make a Lucy look less nuts

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 3:42 AM

Fat upper pussy area, R3.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 3:51 AM

Pelvic, not pussy.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 3:56 AM

DILF William made perfect casting sense!

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 4:00 AM

I never really thought of Fred Mertz having a FUPA ,but you’re not wrong , OP.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 4:01 AM

I mean it is no worse than the mother of the fat kid on Leave It To Beaver, she was presumably supposed to be a contemporary of Barbara Billingsly's character, since they were both mothers of boys the same age, but the woman looked like BB's mother or grandmother.

With Ethel and Fred I just figured Ethel was one of those women who shave a few years off of their age, but she ran away young with Fred when he came through town and was kinda stuck. She figured he'd be a star but it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 4:04 AM

I always figured Fred was secretly loaded.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 4:18 AM

R10- I always figured Fred was a connoisseur of COCK.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 4:42 AM

The lovebirds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 4:54 AM

Fred was a fashion MAVEN in 1952 the way he wore his pants OVER HIS HEAD

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 5:01 AM

I just watched him in a 1939 movie, and he had the same trouser issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 6:36 AM

William Frawley was OBESE for much of his life yet he still lived longer than all the others from I Love ❤️ Lucy- 79 years old.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 12:41 PM

Kramer's got nothing on Fred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 2:43 AM

It was obviously a lavender marriage, OP

That's why they were childless

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2022 11:18 AM

An ugly man, inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2022 12:25 PM

They all seemed around the same age to me as a child. I mean obviously Fred was older but if you had asked me then, I would have said they were all in their late 30s-mid 40s.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2022 12:40 PM

Back in the day younger women sometimes married older men "for security". Especially working class women. Fred owned that building not Ethel. It was called "settling". As in "she settled for him."

Everyone in a working class neighborhood knew at least once such couple.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2022 12:44 PM

As per another thread, here's the REAL Fred/Ethel backstory, OP:

During their senior year of high school, Ethel became pregnant with Billy Hackett's child. Ethel, estranged from her mother and afraid of her father, thought that she could end the pregnancy with a bottle of Jose Cuervo. But she only became very ill.

Mertz and Kurtz were passing through Albuquerque that week. From the window of his hotel room, Fred noticed an attractive blonde wandering along the railroad tracks. She possessed a soft vulnerability, so unlike the whores he usually traded intimacies with. He struck up a conversation with the buxom teenager, who was drunk and despondent, and, upon learning her fate, agreed to take her on the road to escape the inevitable wrath of her father. When Mertz and Kurtz arrived in El Paso later that week, Fred took young Ethel across the border for a back-alley abortion in Juárez.

The botched procedure rendered Ethel sterile. But she now felt indebted to Fred, older and a little gruff, and agreed to marry him. He learned she had a powerful singing voice and later incorporated her into his act.

They never spoke of that trip to Mexico, or that terrible day when, along the railroad tracks, Ethel had deemed her life unlivable. They only looked forward, at the hopes and possibilities that still lay on their horizons. But many years later, after their retirement from show business, Ethel would sometimes lay awake in bed. She would hear little Ricky Ricardo crying, or practicing his drums, and think back on the life she'd left behind in Albuquerque. She'd look over at Fred, once her savior, and resent the drudgery that her life with him had become. She'd think about that baby who had once been only a burden, and wonder if she'd have been a good mother. Not a godmother. But a real mother, with a child all her own. Someone who loved her.

In those stolen moments, she'd think of Billy Hackett. The softness of his lips. The sweetness of his breath.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2022 12:57 PM

T21 You poor dear. You forgot to take your meds again.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2022 1:14 PM

Ethel owned the building, R20. She mortgaged it to go on one of their trips. Fred had no say.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2022 3:27 PM

R21 Don't quit your day job.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2022 3:30 PM

I loved the banter and the I’m married to a battle axe / the old ball n chain style humor Fred and Ethel shared.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2022 3:44 PM

I thought Ethel looked frumpy and matronly. They had to look older to contrast Lucy & Desi, who were past their own prime by then.

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2022 3:47 PM

R25 what I didn't like about it is that it was mostly Fred being an asshole and badmouthing Ethel and their marriage.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2022 4:02 PM

Couples like this exist, OP. More common back then based on what I’ve seen in photos.

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2022 4:05 PM

As if younger women don’t marry old men all the time today, sheesh. Uh, Jerry Hall and Wendy Deng and CZJ come to mind, and that chickadee that just got engaged to that loser Dane Cook. Fred and Ethel fell within the realm of normal.

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2022 5:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!