Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Long hair on men over 50

What do we think?

I have a "daddy" friend who is 52 and trying to grow his hair out long.

It's about shoulder length right now, and the color is salt and pepper.

I think he looks ridiculous, and I've told him so.

But he thinks it looks cool.

He eventually wants it to look something like this.

Well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2022 10:22 AM

If he likes it, then why not.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2022 1:53 AM

Looks better than your bald, misshapen head, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2022 1:55 AM

I think that long hair on older guys makes them look even older, R1.

Keanu Reeves is a perfect example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2022 1:57 AM

Eww. Who/what is that in OP's photo?

After age fifty, very few of us 1) have full heads of hair and 2) look good with longer hair anyway. (Just as very few women that age look good with long, flowing, gray hair, IMHO.) Unless a man has a magnificent head of hair and a strong, masculine face to balance it, don't bother.

But perhaps your friend is the exception, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2022 1:59 AM

Keanu looked preternaturally youthful for the longest time. But he hit the wall--hard--about a decade ago. Like Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2022 2:00 AM

I’m 60, my white hair has hit my shoulders (side part, thick, straight) and I’ve moved into wizard-Lucius Malfoy territory. I like it, my friends like it, and I get positive comments from young guys with long hair and straight women. I’ll just donate it when I’ve had enough. It feels like longer hair on men is def making a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2022 2:02 AM

Much better than I was expecting. I like it, the photo you posted looks good.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2022 2:03 AM

My roommate has long hair and he looks fantastic.

He’s one of those guys that really does look much younger than his age.

That said, his hair is all gray, but it looks healthy and it suits him.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2022 2:08 AM

It's the "homeless-guy neck-beard" that makes the photo at OP so very repellant.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2022 2:08 AM

It totally depends on the guy

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2022 2:10 AM

He's got a great hairline at that age, a bit jealous.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2022 2:12 AM

Depends on a lot of things: overall grooming and style. Do you look like Lazarus emerging from a tomb? Do you have a big bald spot like Dog the Bounty Hunter? Do you look like you’re in need of a flea dip? Are you single and expecting to attract a certain type? Are you wearing Birkenstocks and your entire get-up looks like the man that time forgot?

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2022 2:16 AM

No so fabioulous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2022 2:19 AM

Sorry - but the "man-bun" thing is a TOTAL boner killer...

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2022 2:32 AM

Brad Pitt still looks great with longer hair. There are limits. Brad seems to understand those limits, which is why longer hair still suits him.

Fabio doesn’t understand those limits and he looks quite dated.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2022 2:34 AM

The guy looks homeless. I hope he finds some soup.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2022 2:37 AM

I am not yet 50 and keep my hair between shoulder and jaw length. My hair is wavy, very thick and it's not receding. It's so thick that when I go for a cut I have to get the stylist to thin it out a touch. There's so much hair on the floor afterwards that you'd think I got a buzzcut. Anyway, I'm one who looks far better with slightly longer hair - for now. I imagine that in my 50s that I'll begin to wear it shorter.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2022 2:39 AM

Makes them look haggard. Older guys should be buff thick and have short hair or be balding or shaved head.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2022 4:19 AM

Older guys with long hair start to look like Rumpelstiltskin.

Not a good look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2022 6:56 AM

The do's and don'ts of growing out long hair for older men...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2022 6:57 AM

Hint: There are no "do's"

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2022 7:55 AM

R20 Nothing wrong with do's (or dos, for that matter); Google the AP Stylebook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2022 8:17 AM

Long hair on men over 50 is ridiculous.

So are men that shave their heads, then let pubic hair grow crazy on the rest of their face.

ZZ Top has never been in style, nor has Charlie Brown with wiggy hair all over the face.

Men with DNA from the U.K. in North America have the worst middle age reactions to receding hairlines.

Embrace what you have, and quit trying to compensate somewhere else.

When in doubt, go with neatness and hygenic looks.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2022 11:53 AM

I hope long hair is making a comeback, just like the breeches from around 1800.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2022 11:58 AM

Wow- so many uptight gay men with boundaries- sorry, I’m keeping my long hair. I don’t want to be seen as a potential Republican.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2022 12:37 PM

R23 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2022 8:07 PM

R23) Perfect answer for a commonplace, bourgeois, life.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2022 9:36 PM

R6, I think you sound hot.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2022 11:13 PM

I’m 52. I grew my hair out starting during the beginning of Covid. It eventually got past my shoulders. It’s silver and thick and poker straight. I got lots of compliments. I’d always wanted to try long hair so I thought why not. I cut it short again last fall and almost instantly regretted it. I have been letting it grow and it’s now almost to my shoulders. I’ll probably keep it long for a while.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2022 11:30 PM

There's a guy at a local store who has long, thick silver hair, halfway down his back. His hair is bright silver, which contrasts beautifully with his black work clothes, and he's not handsome but he's on the tall and lean side. He striking, in a unique way.

Not many older men can carry off long hair, but it can be done.

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2022 11:31 PM

Males should wear NOT Pony tails or Pig tails.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2022 11:41 PM

Old men with long hair are sad, pathetic, and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2022 11:45 PM

Shave it all off over 35

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2022 12:02 AM

It's quite sad

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2022 12:05 AM

So much finger wagging. I can’t help but wonder what other archaic rules must be followed to prevent being judged as pathetic , etc. Who put these regulation doyennes in charge? I’m guessing they believe their opinion really counts.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2022 2:02 AM

I like people over 50 who don't have ass puckering anxiety about it. The picture in OP is handsome.

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2022 2:04 AM

I don't object to long hair if a man can pull it off, no matter his age.

But I don't understand long hair that is constantly worn in a greasy ponytail (a boner killer, as noted upthread) or worse yet, a messy man-bun (in 2022, no less). If you must have wear your hair long, wear it long.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2022 3:08 AM

I'm sure the OP could have given us a much more more appealing example to prove his point.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2022 3:26 AM

No, just no.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2022 4:43 AM

to each his own. but long hair is a turnoff for me at any age. I’d prefer my man to be bald (with a beard!)

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2022 4:47 AM

I have long hair and it looks great - People really seem to like the sale. I bet that most of the negative comments are from guys that couldn't grow their hair out, I'm sure most have middle age balding. Long hair is definitely a look and few can pull it off. I'm blessed with thick wavy healthy hair. I agree that the ponytail thing is played out, but the Brad Pitt, Kurt Russell, Jason Momoa, Orlando Bloom look can be really sexy. If you’ve ever considered sporting long hair, the time has come!

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2022 5:01 AM

Most guys over 50 don't have the hair to grow out - I'm a big fan. I find it sexy as hell. Just keep it groomed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2022 5:05 AM

[quote] I have long hair and it looks great

Let me guess, you're also 60 but look 30?

Mary, please.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2022 5:07 AM

If it's full--covers his whole scalp--and well-groomed, then why not? Some people don't feel like themselves without long hair, even if everyone tells him/her that it looks ugly. The need remains, so the hair remains. Or the hair goes and the shorn one feels wrong/unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2022 5:10 AM

[quote] Some people don't feel like themselves without long hair, even if everyone tells him/her that it looks ugly. The need remains, so the hair remains. Or the hair goes and the shorn one feels wrong/unhappy.

Jared Padalecki is a prime example of this, R44.

I have been saying for years that he needed to cut his damned hair.

It was a total mess, and I thought it made him look much older. And he's not even 40 yet!

He kept the long hair all throughout his 15 years in Supernatural, and it bugged the crap out of me.

Jared finally cut it a little bit when he started his new show "Walker" on the CW. I think the producers forced him to cut it. Especially because the long hair wouldn't work with his law enforcement character.

He looked a 100 times better.

I think he just wouldn't admit it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2022 5:18 AM

Homosexual tinymeat Brad Pitt is over 60 yet DL sisters think she looks hot!

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2022 5:28 AM

She understands that an older woman should wear the wig away from the face!

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2022 5:31 AM

R43 You're bald, right? You probably started thinning in high school. It sucks, I get it..Don't hate. Kurt Russell, Sam Elliott, Joe Manganiello All older men with long hair that don't look 30.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2022 5:39 AM

R45. You're right - I love long hair but he looks SOO much better

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2022 5:42 AM

You might like this photo, R49.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2022 5:44 AM

Enjoy your clogged shower drains!

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2022 5:51 AM

R51) Who showers these days?

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2022 11:42 PM

When guys with long hair color it, at least it isn't as noticeable as when guys with crew cuts reach for that bottle of Just for Men. As long as it's healthy and a full head of hair - Im on board

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2022 9:38 AM

R53 Nothing wrong with using color, just don't fool yourself into thinking it's not noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2022 10:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!