Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's for dinner?

I went on a cooking rampage this weekend and cooked enough food Friday night for the entire weekend.

Bolognese sauce with onions, garlic, mushrooms, ground beef and red wine.

Spaghetti noodles.

Ribeye steak cooked to medium rare to allow for re-heating.

Braised short ribs in red white and tomato sauce.

Shrimp curry with potatoes and carrots.

Potato salad.

Egg salad.

Cut fruit salad.

It took me seven hours to finish everything, but when I was done I was so proud that I had accomplished so much. And I could relax for the rest of the weekend and not worry about what to eat.

I think I'll warm up the braised short ribs and serve it with mashed potatoes. YUM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2022 5:07 AM

Are you Greg?

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2022 12:53 AM

HA R1!

I forgot to sign my name "Not Greg."

I swear to you, I meant to do that but clicked "submit" before I could sign my post.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2022 12:54 AM

My MIL makes homemade pasta. I asked her to teach me this year. It is surprisingly easy. One of my favorite things to do now.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2022 1:01 AM

Very nice! I can honestly say I never care about what I'm going to eat. It's not something I spend time thinking about. I'll just grab an apple, make a pbj, order doordash or skip the meal all together more often than not but I respect people who are thoughtful about their meals.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2022 1:08 AM

Your ribs look great!

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2022 1:09 AM

[quote]all together

Oh, dear. And half a demerit for humble-bragging.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2022 1:10 AM

Does anyone know how to make a crab louie dressing?

I wanted to make a romaine salad topped with crab louie dressing.

Is it true that there's hard boiled egg in the dressing?

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2022 1:14 AM

Sardines and Prunes.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2022 7:27 AM

Apart from the bolognese sauce and maybe the potato salad, I don’t think any of them are suitable for storing and eating later.

So, I assume, then, OP, this was really Friday night's dinner. YTF.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2022 7:55 AM

Tonight I was lazy and made Chicken ala King.

Boiled frozen peas and carrots, cream of mushroom soup, pieces of leftover rotisserie chicken, and lots of seasoning.

I also made myself a green salad with tomatoes, onions, hard boiled eggs, bacon bits, croutons, and thousand island dressing.

It was all quite good.

by Anonymousreply 10June 27, 2022 12:23 AM

i guess r3 has finally given up her career girl phase and embracing housewife-hood

by Anonymousreply 11June 27, 2022 12:35 AM

Trader Joe’s chicken Waldorf salad..maple syrup in dressing not too sweet….it’s a variation on the original

by Anonymousreply 12June 27, 2022 12:45 AM

I have cooked that entire meal 2 weeks ago, except for the spaghetti noodles. my neighbor makes Eggplant& Zucchini noodles. I LOVE curry too!

by Anonymousreply 13June 27, 2022 1:48 AM

That is too much food, OP. I had melon, some Italian ham, olives, capers, and 2 greek stuffed vine leaves with cool sweet Italian vino novello.

by Anonymousreply 14June 27, 2022 3:28 AM

Spaghetti noodles?

So, spaghetti?

by Anonymousreply 15June 27, 2022 3:56 AM

Why you cooking like it's the middle of December OP?

by Anonymousreply 16June 27, 2022 4:14 AM

Crab Louie dressing is mainly ketchup and mayo, iirc. It’s like Thousand Island without the pickle relish.

by Anonymousreply 17June 27, 2022 4:20 AM

I made London broil with Simply Potatoes mashed potatoes and broccolini. It was really good!

by Anonymousreply 18June 27, 2022 4:32 AM

What we call "Pizza Hut Supreme Sandwiches" from our childhood, recreating a beloved treat.

So, basically a version of an Italian hogie.

by Anonymousreply 19June 27, 2022 5:04 AM

Also, OP, are you single or are there other people in the household to eat all that food?

Because, that's a lot of food.

by Anonymousreply 20June 27, 2022 5:05 AM

i had avocado on multigrain toast with tomato and melted cheese and some cut up fruit.

by Anonymousreply 21June 27, 2022 5:12 AM

Op, are you for real. I wish you lived with me. It all sounds like prefection. I'm the cook in my home and I want the tables turned.

by Anonymousreply 22June 27, 2022 5:14 AM

Yesterday I cooked meals for the entire weekend.

I made corn chowder, steak stir fry, fried burgers, german potato salad, and a tossed green salad.

Now I don't have to cook!

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2022 8:47 PM

Bolognese sauce does not traditionally have mushrooms in it.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2022 8:49 PM

You spent 7 hours cooking so you could reheat your food?

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2022 8:50 PM

My Nonna says that bolognese can have pretty much anything in it, as long as the base is tomato sauce, and there's ground beef in it.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2022 8:51 PM

[quote]Spaghetti noodles.

I have never heard spaghetti called spaghetti noodles. I assume you're not Italian. Or live with any Italians. Or have ever heard of Italian food.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2022 8:59 PM

I just finished making a BIG batch of Broccoli White Bean Soup- it's vegan and creamy and very tasty.

The creaminess comes from the Great White Northern Beans. When the whole thing is done I use the immersion blender and I have a tasty, creamy, healthful vegan soup. I'm not vegan or vegetarian- I'm a FLEXItarian.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2022 9:04 PM

Is the broccoli blended too, R28?

Seems like it would be lacking texture.

I would blend the beans, but keep the broccoli in pieces.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2022 9:06 PM

shish kebabs with beef, tiny potatoes, mushrooms, red peppers and green and yellow squash.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2022 9:08 PM

Fast food

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2022 9:10 PM

Just made some scrambled eggs, actually. Usually have that on Sunday nights.

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2022 9:20 PM

I made a quick bolognese sauce with ground beef, carrots, onions, and black olives.

Also, made shrimp curry from scratch, as well as a couple of hamburger patties.

I also tried making pan fried chicken, but I over cooked it and it came out tough and dry.

Why is it that I can never cook chicken properly? It should be the easiest thing in the world to cook, but I always mess it up!

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2022 7:30 PM

Op, are you on speed, or medication? So much food... Who do you cook for? Is this all for you?

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2022 7:35 PM

I bet your place smells terrible lol

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2022 7:41 PM

Tell us, Op... are you really a fattie?

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2022 7:48 PM

Pizza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2022 7:51 PM

On the menu: Rosemary Roasted Chicken, Crab Cakes (Louisiana Style), Mashed Potato, Sauteed Colorad Greens, with Roasted Carrots and Celery; sereved with Chicken Gravy and Spivey Aioli.

by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2022 8:05 PM

R38, how do you cook your chicken?

Do you have a fool proof way to make it soft and juicy, yet cooked all the way through?

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2022 8:11 PM

Sounds like you are in a manic phase, OP.

by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2022 8:55 PM

It's Sunday night so probably just a big bowl of popcorn with Masterpiece Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2022 8:58 PM

I purchased some black garlic marinated chicken skewers from Sprouts yesterday. I’ve had them before and they are delicious! With it I’m making seasoned rice and some roasted broccolini.

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2022 9:59 PM

A nice beef stew made with red wine, salad, and garlic bread.

by Anonymousreply 43August 8, 2022 12:38 AM

You type fat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 44August 8, 2022 12:43 AM

Tacos with fried tortillas.

by Anonymousreply 45August 8, 2022 1:57 AM

I cooked chicken with soy sauce, chili powder, minced onions and garlic. I mixed it in with rice and black beans.

by Anonymousreply 46August 8, 2022 1:58 AM

Hot weather here. Cold cereal (Grape Nuts in vanilla Silk soy milk). I'm contemplating eating cold foods, only, until the heat abates.

by Anonymousreply 47August 8, 2022 1:59 AM

Yesterday I made baked lime-yogurt-cilantro marinated chicken thighs ($1.69/lb.!) with roasted broccoli w/garlic, as well as a chunky lentil and vegetable stew I've made a hundred times. I always have a big mixed green salad in the refrigerator, so dinners are easy to heat and serve up. I basically stopped ordering out about ten years ago since I have the time and basic skills. I can cook once or twice a week and have options for a nice dinner every night. It's more planning and shopping than cooking.

by Anonymousreply 48August 8, 2022 2:15 AM

We're having homemade meatloaf. mashed potatoes, broccoli and a green salad. Boring - but YUMMY and FILLING. My hubby is a FANTASTIC cook.

by Anonymousreply 49August 8, 2022 2:36 AM

[quote]R7: Does anyone know how to make a crab louie dressing? I wanted to make a romaine salad topped with crab louie dressing. Is it true that there's hard boiled egg in the dressing?

Here's a recipe, R7. The eggs are in the salad; I suppose you could omit them if you wish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 8, 2022 3:48 AM

My mom brought me a go-box from the buffet at Golden Corral. Fried fish, shrimp, buffalo wings and carrot cake.

by Anonymousreply 51August 8, 2022 3:58 AM

Why all the heavy food?

It’s August, for Christ’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 52August 8, 2022 4:05 AM

Yum, R51!

Lucky you. Sounds wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 53August 8, 2022 4:07 AM

(r39) I always rub butter or bacon grease all over the bird including the cavity as well as under the skin. I place the well greased bird on top of some veggies and throw some lemon, garlic and onion inside the cavity. I always use a cast iron skillet and bake at 350F.

by Anonymousreply 54August 8, 2022 8:58 AM

R47 Did you have a nice movement?

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2022 4:47 PM

“ veggies”? “yummy”? “hubby”?

Do you all wear white frilly aprons while preparing your suburban feasts?

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2022 6:54 PM

Not dinner, but I made easy nachos for lunch.

Chips, melted cheese, sour cream and salsa.

It took one minute in the microwave, and it was SO good.

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2022 8:02 PM

Fuck off, R56. Just fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2022 2:31 AM

Walmart Vegetarian Chicken ramen. How the hell is chicken vegetarian? Nuked because it was too damned hot to cook anything else.

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2022 2:37 AM

Really R53? All that crap from Golden Corral sounds like diarrhea to me!

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2022 5:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!