Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET powdered laundry detergent?

I've long preferred powdered detergent. I think it cleans my clothes better than liquid, and I really hate pods. I throw in some borax with it, and sometimes vinegar, and my clothes stay fresh and smelling great.

In the past few years, it's become harder and harder to find powdered detergent. I used to buy powdered Persil (the German version) via Amazon, but last year I quit Amazon and don't want to pay huge fees to buy it elsewhere. At my local grocery, the ONLY option for powdered detergent is Tide, and only one type. They have dozens of options for liquid.

What gives?

by Anonymousreply 228August 6, 2023 1:08 PM

[quote]I think it cleans my clothes better than liquid

It's the same shit, except the powdered one needs some time to fully dissolve in the water, while the liquid one skips that step and starts working immediately. Powdered laundry detergent is from another era, that's why it's disappearing from the shelves.

Also, some of the powdered ones clean more thoroughly because they are so much harsher chemically, they're slowly destroying the clothes with each wash. They're horrible for vibrant colours and deep blacks as well. That's why conditioners were used so much more back in the day, to soften the overwashed clothes and give you the impression nothing was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2022 10:29 AM

Liquid detergent is 90% water for the same price as the powdered detergent which is 100% detergent. Dudes that answer your question?

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2022 10:36 AM

I read somewhere that powdered detergent is more eco-friendly than liquid, as is the packaging, which tends to use cardboard rather than plastic.

It's readily available in the U.K. I use the Ecover one (see link). Effective and low environmental impact. And no, I don't work for them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2022 10:51 AM

One box of powdered Persil on Amazon is selling for over $100. What was that Amazon was saying about not allowing price gouging from 3rd-party sellers?

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2022 10:54 AM

OP, between the two of them Walmart and Target carry several kinds of powdered laundry detergent (Gain, All, Arm & Hammer, Cheer, the Mexican brands Foca, Ariel and Roma, some other eco-friendly brands in addition to Tide), some in the brick and mortar stores and some only via their websites. But they're out there. I know I've see a few kinds at Dollar General too, and at Grocery Outlet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2022 11:05 AM

Thanks r5

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2022 11:07 AM

Arm & Hammer was the last powdered one in my supermarket but that disappeared a few years ago so I’m forced to buy the liquid. Pods are an even bigger waste as most people use too much detergent. (Note the markings on the cap of the liquid are very difficult to see).

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2022 11:10 AM

I'm with OP and R2 -- I prefer powdered, and I like that it's 100% detergent. You can almost always use less than what the box indicates per load, and still get everything perfectly clean. I often mix/match powdered detergents to create my own "recipe," as well. I, too, wish there were more options more readily available.

I especially miss Ivory's powdered detergent -- it was a gentle detergent formulated for baby clothes and had a wonderful, very light scent. Target used to sell its own version formulated for baby clothes that was even better, but it disappeared years before Ivory did. The liquid version of Ivory, which remains, has a much harsher, more unpleasant scent.

[quote]they're slowly destroying the clothes with each wash

^^ I suspect that also has to do with the quality of clothing going down a lot over the past couple of decades (or longer).

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2022 11:19 AM

When I can find it, I really like Charlie's Soap:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2022 11:38 AM

Powder is everywhere in the UK, including US outfits like Costco. Even if you prefer liquid, you need to use powder every few washes because one of the downsides of liquids/gels etc are that they tend to accumulate in the rubber seals before they have a chance to fully disperse in the water causing a black, mouldy build up and that tell-tale musty smell that even a machine cleaning cycle cannot shift. Interspersing with a powder based wash gets rid of the smell at least.

We had an LG washing machine that had the most convoluted door seal ever with thin long folds that were nigh on impossible to get into. You couldn't even remove the seal without dismantling the entire machine. Had to get rid of it because it got tiresome having to spend half an hour dredging the ring between washes.

The problem with powder is that it often doesn't dissolve properly in the wash either. Ended up with far too many garments with white streaks on them after drying. The only solution is to dissolve the powder in warm water right before starting the wash but who has the time or patience to stand there doing that before using a labour-saving device?

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2022 11:50 AM

I have a real hard time paying for liquid detergent, a product that I use by **putting it in water!**

Why should pay for the manufacturer's water -- my water works just fine.

R1 is a damn fool.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2022 11:57 AM

"Rinso White, Rinso Blue, Happy Little wash Day Song"

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2022 12:06 PM

Tide Original !

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2022 12:11 PM

Tide Pods!

They double as a delightful snack when I'm hungry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2022 12:21 PM

I believe these newer machines don’t do well with powder.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2022 12:27 PM

Did you pick that up from the owner's manual, r15? Or just pull it out of your ass or Facebook?

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2022 12:30 PM

I still use Tide powder detergent for hot water washing whites, it does work better than liquid. But liquid is better for warm and cold wash because you don't have to worry about the residue than powder can leave in non-hot washes.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2022 12:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2022 12:32 PM

Then stop using so much goddamn powder, you idiot!

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2022 12:33 PM

I always add the detergent first while the machine is filling (top loader), powder or liquid.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2022 12:34 PM

health food stores tend to carry the necessary ingredients and alternatives.

And occasionally feed/ranch stores.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2022 12:35 PM

There are DIY recipes for powdered laundry detergent, “washing soda” plus something. It’s very inexpensive. Not sure if it works as well.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2022 12:36 PM

There are certainly some angry powder fans in this thread. Who knew that laundresses could be so bitchy?

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2022 12:37 PM

Sorry r18, didn’t see your comment.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2022 12:38 PM

To all you little Martha Stewarts making your own laundry detergent... GET LAID ONCE IN AWHILE 🙄

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2022 12:43 PM

Mother always said that people who use liquid detergent were trash, simply ghastly trash and so I always insist on powder

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2022 12:43 PM

^ Your mother needed to get laid once in awhile too

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2022 12:45 PM

r24 quite alright.. half the people ignore me anyway.

r22 it's variable. . . one has to experiment with their own blends as the biggest problem

r25 it doubles as a lesbian aphrodisiac. Also works well enough with the rugged outdoorsy type of blokes. . .

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2022 12:47 PM

Have you visited Walmart? They always carry huge bags of detergent powder, like this cheap one $9.98 for 10lb bag

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2022 12:48 PM

^ as the biggest problem are the variables in machines... and needs. Sometimes the grains of standard recipes don't fully dissolve if your machine doesn't have enough kick or has low water usage. . in those cases, people might go half and half.. might add a bit of soap oil. tree tea oil is popular too.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2022 12:50 PM

Those are some good notes R10. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2022 1:10 PM

Is it ok to use one measuring thing instead of two for powder detergent?

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2022 4:29 PM

Miss R32, most poop-stained clothing will require two scoops of detergent to wash out.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2022 4:41 PM

I like this ultra concentrated version of Persil. This bottle is good for 110 loads. So it should last longer than any powder and be more eco-friendly even if you let it ship. Persil usually ranks on top of consumer reviews along with Tide Liquid. If you stick to the original scent it's not that strong. It's also available unscented.

Also: Don't go cheap on laundry detergent. Persil and Tide rank higher than even their own low-cost brands like Purex or Gain because they include more enzymes and tensides. They are just more capable of breaking down more types of dirt and stains. So more is actually more in terms of price. Just don't go overboard when measuring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2022 5:32 PM

Despite their best efforts at greenwashing, and other marketing ploys, these companies take two or more steps backward for every step forward toward protecting the environment, or reducing waste, and fuels.

Seems awfully silly they want us to replace bars of soap which were packaged with minimal paper, and washing powders in cardboard boxes for products which weigh MUCH more, are packaged in plastic, and use more fuel to ship. Removing water weight, eliminating plastic containers, and using less fuel seems much smarter than all their concentrated formulas, and other BS "improved formulas".

I use solid shampoo bars, bar soaps, and a solid conditioner bar as well. The use of plastics should be reserved for only very special exceptions, rather than the norm. Excessive plastic packaging is killing the planet, and people. Why can't they put theses liquid formulas in something like a coated-paper milk carton? I prefer powder!

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2022 9:41 PM

OP, you can usually find a good selection of laundry detergent powder at Mexican supermercados if you have one near you

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2022 9:53 PM

I'm with r35. I prefer bar soap too

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2022 11:35 PM

It's time to bring back Folger's Crystals while we're at it. You just added a tablespoon of coffee crystals to a cup and added hot water.

Was it the Mr. Coffee machine that ended powdered coffee? I remember that once Mr. Coffee came out, everybody was using coffee machines from that point on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2022 11:46 PM

The other thing which comes to mind when I kvetch about plastic containers, is that they could at least provide "refill" options, I reckon back that did not catch on at The Body Shop ages ago, but it seems to make sense.

Something akin to the Canadian milk bags might be better than nothing, if the chemistry of these liquid detergents actually requires a plastic container. They could make them compostable.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2022 11:56 PM

Powder is the most popular in my country so I find this surprising. A appliances technician told me that you can use a 1/4 scoop instead of a full scoop for the same result, so powder is much more economical. Maybe that's why they got rid of it.

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2022 12:01 AM

R40 By far easier to schlep whilst travelling, as well as for those who need launderettes.

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2022 12:06 AM

I tried to use powder b/c I know it's better for the environment (comes in a cardboard box, less weight being transported, etc.), but it just wasn't dissolving that well. I was using Tide, Ivory, and Dreft (baby detergent). I even filled the machine (top loader) fully with water and let it agitate (with just water) before I put my clothes in. Still streaks of powder.

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2022 12:08 AM

Are top loaders more prevalent than front loaders in the USA? Top loaders operate better with liquid, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2022 12:12 AM

Powdered laundry detergent is LITERAL VIOLENCE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2022 12:14 AM

I buy powder. jJ.R. Watkins laundry detergent and Amway SA 8 laundry detergent

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2022 12:14 AM

I've never hand a problem with powder not dissolving when I add borax to it

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2022 12:21 AM

I just bought a top load washer because I hated my front load. I went to get some powder detergent because I prefer it too - it seems to soften the water better or something- and all I could find is Tide or Gain.

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2022 12:22 AM

Geez, do some of you senior gays only shop at one particular grocery store and never bother big boxes like Walmart or online shops Amazon? Powdered detergents, instant coffee powder... none of these products are discontinued, not only that, there are many different brands to choose from, especially the instant coffee powder, there is a rising demand for for gourmet instant coffee, there are more than10 different brands in the market now, stores like Walmart carry both the old Nescafe or Folgers and the new ones like Death Wish, Frozen Beans...

This is truly a silly thread!

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2022 12:24 AM

^ I'm sorry we keep you in this thread then. We really shouldn't force you to stay.

by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2022 12:26 AM

R48 - I’m Canadian- our Walmart is less… uh…. luxurious than yours 😜

by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2022 12:27 AM

Best laundry detergent I've ever used, and NO plastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2022 12:29 AM

I used to buy powdered detergent all the time, but then purchased one with some sort of bleaching power or something along those lines, and had little blue bits of powder along with the standard white normal type powder. Those blue motherfuckers streaked every piece of white/light colored clothing I had washed with it. I even ran them back through the washer with nothing but water, thinking it would rinse it out. It did not. They were all just destroyed. I've never bought powdered detergent since. I realize this is probably an overreaction on my part, and there are likely very fine powdered detergent products out there, but I've stuck with liquid ever since.

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2022 12:35 AM

R49 I am glad you use the word "we" here, I already get it this is just another nostalgic thread for certain posters on DL who are into this sort of things , even though what discussed here is not true, but it sure brings "everyone" together to have a collective fond memory for the past.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2022 12:36 AM

I'm pretty sure it's still around, thought not anywhere near as prominently.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2022 12:37 AM

R51 I've tried the Canadian-made Sheets brand, but they really did not get our laundry clean, even adding a couple extra. We do seem get awfully dirty though... my partner is constantly working on his car, and we have barn, and a large garden. How do you find it works on dirt and grease?

Though Charlie's soap works well, the product has damaged a few items. It faded a few brightly coloured knit shirts, and managed to make tiny little holes in some white tees. I'm not happy that it still comes in a plastic container either. My partner bought Charlie's soon after we tried Sheets Laundry Club.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2022 12:45 AM

I miss the free towels...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2022 12:54 AM

I like to eat gain powder

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2022 12:56 AM

I use Gain liquid all the time now. The smell it leaves in my clothes is amazing, and the small remains when you put a shirt on a hanger and leave it ifor one or two months.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2022 12:57 AM

R57 You need to be featured on [italic] My Strange Addiction [/italic] if it's still on air.

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2022 12:58 AM

You can't beat GR-R-R-R-R

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2022 1:00 AM

I still use Oxydol.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2022 1:57 AM

Wet powdered laundry detergent smells like cum.

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2022 2:11 AM

You made me hungry, OP, even as I pitied your plight.

by Anonymousreply 63June 20, 2022 3:42 AM

r46 I just know some have reported that happening... personally, I think it's because their math was likely wonky on trying to maximize or minimize a recipe for their own use. Though the bulk of people that complained of it of the most, the only commonality seemed to be those washers with restrictive water usage. . . as the off grid butter churn variety never professed a problem with it iether.

by Anonymousreply 64June 20, 2022 7:00 AM

Another Canadian here, and R47/50 is correct: our big-box stores don't have nearly the selection that's available in the U.S. It's almost always just Tide. Maybe Sunlight, too, depending on the retailer.

That said, I *love* the No Name brand powdered detergent (available at No Frills, Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, etc.). It seems to be periodically available, then not, then back on shelves for a while, then gone again... so I always stock up when I see it. It has a really nice, mild scent and is really affordable.

by Anonymousreply 65June 20, 2022 11:18 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who delights in doing laundry

by Anonymousreply 66June 20, 2022 10:22 PM

^ You're welcome to come over to my house the next time you need to feel "delighted"

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2022 10:25 PM

In the past powdered detergent could clump in the wash. I hope it’s improved. I’m looking for boxed detergent because I don’t want to buy plastic.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2022 10:26 PM

Make my own powdered detergent. Have for years. Use one coffee scoop per load. Recipe found on-line.

Works great.

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2022 10:41 PM

Powdered detergent seems to strip colors and fade darks, and leave a white film on clothes. We switched years ago and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2022 10:51 PM

Op should have posted a thread about washing soda. It stirs gay men to post in droves.

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2022 10:52 PM

R70 says you.

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2022 10:53 PM

@r71, Why would you need to wash soda 🤔

by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2022 10:55 PM

i used to use Persil liquid only but it got really expensive.

Saw a detergent video on Youtube and then tried ALL. It's just about the same.

I pretreat nasty stuff with DAWN liquid and hydrogen peroxide for blood.

Really simple and affordable.

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote]I pretreat nasty stuff with DAWN liquid and hydrogen peroxide for blood.

r74 = the ghost of Andrew Cunanan

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2022 11:42 PM

I boost my laundry with Oxi Clean, the whites anyway. Woolite liquid for darks. There's really no reason to use powder anymore.

by Anonymousreply 76June 21, 2022 1:04 AM

I love powder detergent. I wear cologne daily and powder makes my clothes feels clean but I can still smell like only my cologne

by Anonymousreply 77June 21, 2022 1:08 AM

I was at the supermarket this morning. Not a single powdered detergent, just liquid and those stupid pods. I bought a bar of Fels Naptha soap.

by Anonymousreply 78June 21, 2022 1:35 AM

How do you use a bar in your washer?

by Anonymousreply 79June 21, 2022 1:51 AM

R79 = way past stupid

by Anonymousreply 80June 21, 2022 1:59 AM

@r74, "I pretreat nasty stuff with DAWN liquid and hydrogen peroxide for blood"

Are you an ax murderer? 🤔

Some of you guys must be real pigs to need such elaborate washing concoctions

by Anonymousreply 81June 21, 2022 3:51 AM

I think it's exactly the same.

by Anonymousreply 82June 21, 2022 3:53 AM

Take it from me and SashaMonique, after MexiCoke, the best thing from south of the border is Roma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 21, 2022 4:30 AM

9 out of 10 Mexican housekeepers agree Roma is the best

by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2022 4:34 AM

Powdered is cheaper.

R79, you can shave or grate bar soap to use in the washer.

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2022 4:38 AM

Most washing machines now are "HE"- High Efficiency. Wash cycles are not as long and the amount of water used is less which is why they work better with liquid detergent than they do with powdered ones. The powder doesn't get the chance to dissolve properly and it can leave streaks on laundry.

Powdered detergents do offer more value to the consumer than liquids, so companies have gradually forced more people into using liquid detergent which means higher profits.

by Anonymousreply 86June 21, 2022 4:48 AM

Cultural Appropriation Alert: Have you seen the product photo and its packaging? Roma is meant to use in a tub with clothes washed by your own hands, a washing machine is an insult to our amigos and amigas in Mexico!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 21, 2022 4:56 AM

I prefer powdered detergent but I can't seem to find it anymore. At least not in the stores. I don't shop at Walmart on principal but if they have it perhaps I should start.

by Anonymousreply 88June 21, 2022 5:00 AM

[quote] I don't shop at Walmart on principal

^ please tell us where you shop

by Anonymousreply 89June 21, 2022 5:02 AM

I Love Walmart snobs 😂

by Anonymousreply 90June 21, 2022 5:03 AM

Costco mostly.

by Anonymousreply 91June 21, 2022 5:30 AM

[quote]I boost my laundry with Oxi Clean

Tip: the tubs of "oxygen cleaner" powder you can get at Dollar Tree (and other dollar stores) are the exact same thing, work just as well and cost MUCH less.

by Anonymousreply 92June 21, 2022 1:28 PM

I mean, you can dissolve the powder in water before putting it in the machine.

by Anonymousreply 93June 21, 2022 1:35 PM

I condole you, Mrs. OP.

by Anonymousreply 94June 21, 2022 1:36 PM

I use that in a spray bottle to pre-treat, and it works well- I've used it to clean fragile fabrics by hand

by Anonymousreply 95June 21, 2022 1:38 PM

Kroger's version of Oxi works just as well and it's half the price. If you can find it, I recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 96June 21, 2022 1:38 PM

Kroger's is not a nationwide chain.

by Anonymousreply 97June 21, 2022 1:42 PM

Actually, they are....they own chains in every region except New England, Florida and parts of the mid-Atlantic. Most private label detergents are made by the same company, so there probably is a similar store brand product regardless of where you live.

by Anonymousreply 98June 21, 2022 1:46 PM

Most of the stores owned by Kroger will carry Kroger products. They own a ton of stores, and are the 3rd largest retailer in the U.S. after Walmart and Amazon. Still, r97, I did say "if you can find it," so I clearly was not indicating that everyone had access.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 21, 2022 1:49 PM

Once I started making my own laundry detergent I would never go back. I make three batches a year and can add whatever essential oil I want. Currently I'm on lime. Can't beat the cost and no more plastic bottles being lugged around. I just make a liquid version.

by Anonymousreply 100June 21, 2022 2:32 PM

OP try Walmart and Target online and try Iherb for hippy detergents.

by Anonymousreply 101June 21, 2022 2:34 PM

I use Earth Breeze. Easy, cleans clothes fine, and eco-friendly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 21, 2022 2:49 PM

^ I use Earth Breeze as well.

by Anonymousreply 103June 21, 2022 2:59 PM

R100 -- I set aside an hour or two about every 18 months to make my homemade powdered detergent.

Made a batch last month. I'm set till 2024.

I use a Mouli to shred my laundry bars and then an old food processor to pulverize the shreds. I dump the pulverized soap into a big plastic, re-purposed Utz Halloween pretzel container and add the washing soda, borax, Biz stain remover, and some oxygen bleach powder. Shake to blend. Done!

by Anonymousreply 104June 21, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote] Most private label detergents are made by the same company,

That is true. But they are not always made with the same quality. Often, yes, it's the same like-to-like product. But it's not uncommon that those companies change the formula for the store brand product. It depends on the contract they have with the retailer. Consider this: Even if Procter & Gamble makes the detergent, you don't know if they model it after Tide or the inferior Gain (lower concentration of enzymes).

by Anonymousreply 105June 21, 2022 6:13 PM

I just saw a breaking news item on CNN.

As it turns out plastic is recyclable!

by Anonymousreply 106June 22, 2022 9:56 AM

But is it then recycled? In other news, CNN reports that only 24% of our recyclable trash actually gets recycled. About 50% was landfilled, 12% incinerated and 9% composted. For plastic, less than 9% was recycled. I agree, some slim refill bags for laundry detergent would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 107June 22, 2022 12:09 PM

Paper is the trickiest. Office paper can be recycled but pizza boxes can not. Any paper that has food on it is useless for recycling.

by Anonymousreply 108June 22, 2022 12:23 PM

Procter and Gamble doesn't make any of these. Other than Kirkland (which is probably made by Henkel) none of the store brands ever do well in product testing and are a waste of money, esp. given the heavy promotional activity on major brands like Tide. You don't gave to wait long to see it "on sale".

by Anonymousreply 109June 22, 2022 12:24 PM

I tried making my own powdered once, and it didn’t seem to work well unless you used more than recommended. I found in the long run, it didn’t really cost less.

by Anonymousreply 110June 22, 2022 12:27 PM

^ That's like bread, I can get a nice crusty loaf of bread for about $4 or I can spend $25 on ingredients plus hours of time to make my own... The bakery won out

by Anonymousreply 111June 22, 2022 12:32 PM

OP washes his clothes in a stream behind his house, smashing his wet garments on the rocks.

by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2022 12:48 PM

Seems much safer and cheaper to buy a trailer and also the regulations for where to park a vacation trailer are much more lenient.

by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2022 12:56 PM

^ Sir, I think you want the "Twink builds his own tiny home." this way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

by Anonymousreply 114June 22, 2022 1:08 PM

yeah oops

by Anonymousreply 115June 22, 2022 1:10 PM

R104 I've always wondered why some makers microwave the soap bars prior to grating, or placing in processor... perhaps you know the reason or benefit.

by Anonymousreply 116June 23, 2022 9:20 PM

So we’ve discussed making your own? Because it’s not hard. It’s absolutely cheaper to grate it from a bar of Zote or fels naphtha and maybe add a little washing soda. Stupidly easy and dirt cheap.

by Anonymousreply 117June 23, 2022 9:25 PM

I did the homemade laundry soap thing for awhile and it seemed to work fine. However, I read that the soap gradually builds up in the washer and hoses and eventually causes it to break down.

by Anonymousreply 118June 24, 2022 3:47 PM

How do I get the awful smell out of my LG frontloader? I baby the thing to death and they still smell. So far I’ve: used affresh tabs regularly, cleaned the rubber gasket with bleach, bought special detergent for workout clothes, always leave the door open when it’s not in use, immediately empty it when its finished. Nothing helps.

by Anonymousreply 119June 26, 2022 12:42 AM

R119 Have you tried cleaning out the detergent drawer? Sometimes the detergent residue can clog the lines over time. Or running it through a cleaning cycle?

by Anonymousreply 120June 26, 2022 12:58 AM

I’ve run it through a cleaning cycle with the affresh tabs, but haven’t cleaned the detergent drawer. I’ll do that next. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know!

by Anonymousreply 121June 26, 2022 1:16 AM

I’ve only ever used front loaders at a laundromat and I never noticed a smell then. What makes the home ones different?

by Anonymousreply 122June 26, 2022 12:13 PM

R116 -- This is my Mouli that I found when helping to clean out a dead relative's kitchen years ago. It's perfect for shredding laundry soap bars. Mouli was an proto food processor back in the day.

I have never heard of microwaving them first. Maybe those who intend to make liquid detergent have found this step helpful? Faster dissolving perhaps?

I use ZOTE and Fels Naphtha, but I also stop by Asian and Hispanic markets occasionally to buy laundry bars there. Lirio is another Mexican laundry bar brand and there is a great smelling Chinese bar made in Shanghai. (Cannot translate the Chinese characters on the label.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 26, 2022 12:25 PM

For R8

Amazon.com still sells Ivory powder, but they only have 5 boxes left from another seller.

by Anonymousreply 124June 26, 2022 11:46 PM

During my COVID prepper days, I bought up some Fels-Naptha soap bars as an emergency stockpile of general purpose soap.

by Anonymousreply 125June 27, 2022 1:36 PM

Thanks, R124. It's not manufactured anymore, which is why the third-party sellers on Amazon are selling them for $50+ a box (which I'm not willing to pay, LOL).

Whatever product is still floating around there is from a couple of years ago, and is now worth a LOT more than what it cost when you could buy it at Walmart!

by Anonymousreply 126June 28, 2022 1:28 PM

You're welcome, R126.

I did notice the high price!

by Anonymousreply 127June 28, 2022 6:23 PM

Adding powdered Borax to laundry along with liquid detergent, as OP does, gives the same results as using powdered detergent. I've been doing this for years, my laundry is always clean and fresh and the whites are brightened.

by Anonymousreply 128June 28, 2022 6:38 PM

Heard this guy on NPR...Patric the Laundry Guy.

He swears by powder:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 28, 2022 8:15 PM

As an aside, and because I figure this is the thread that might have an answer: can anyone recommend a fabric softener that just smells like classic fabric softener (e.g., original Downy) and not like fruit or flowers or bad cologne?

It's getting harder and harder to find something that just smells like clean laundry, and that isn't overpoweringly strong. I have unscented fabric softener, but sometimes want that classic laundry scent.

by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2022 11:49 AM

I recently switched to Native deodorant sticks, but find they build up on shirts. Any laundry tips for that?

by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2022 4:27 PM

White vinegar spray.

by Anonymousreply 132July 18, 2022 11:24 PM

Will give it a try, thanks, R132.

by Anonymousreply 133July 18, 2022 11:37 PM

I use Amway SA8 powder. I order it directly from Amway.com. Not into selling Amway just wanna buy some of their stuff like the excellent yet gentle Amway SA8 laundry detergent powder.

My 2nd choice is J.R. Watkins laundry detergent powder. It’s nearly as good as Amway SA8.

by Anonymousreply 134October 8, 2022 6:53 PM

^^^Btw.. neither of those brands have strong or overwhelming scents. They are barely detectable.

by Anonymousreply 135October 8, 2022 6:54 PM

Does Costco still carry Kirkland powdered laundry detergent? I don't see it when I search.

by Anonymousreply 136October 8, 2022 6:58 PM

[quote] Homemade Laundry Detergent: The Original and Best DIY Natural Recipe

[quote] Homemade laundry detergent is simple, cheap, and effective in all washer types. Save money and avoid chemicals with DIY laundry detergent.

Ingredients

4.5 ounces shaved bar soap (a homemade laundry bar, Dr. Bronner’s, Kirk’s Castile Saop, Ivory, ZOTE, or Fels-Naptha)

14 ounces borax

14 ounces washing soda

[bold] These ….are ….all ….chemicals, kids. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 137October 8, 2022 9:01 PM

R123, is this the Chinese soap you're talking about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 8, 2022 9:09 PM

Home front loaders look nice but they do not wash clothing as well as top loaders. I’ve had both.

by Anonymousreply 139October 8, 2022 9:41 PM

Yes, r138, I've bought that brand before and another brand in a clear cellophane wrapper.

by Anonymousreply 140October 8, 2022 10:41 PM

I'm trying Ariel (mentioned upthread) for the first time today. I like the scent, but may be a bit strong for some.

I didn't realize it's a product of Belgium!

by Anonymousreply 141May 19, 2023 1:00 PM

the rite aid around the corner from me has ALL detergents looked up in glass cases - and the rite aid management never gave a key to the employees!!

by Anonymousreply 142May 19, 2023 1:08 PM

I’ve just moved and had to switch from a top loader to a front loader. Naturally I’d just bought a jug of normal liquid detergent but now have to use the special front loader liquid. A friend tells me I absolutely can not use the normal stuff, not even in a small amount because it will make too much suds. I’m tempted to try but the cycle is so long, 50 minutes vs 20 minutes with the top loader and running it twice to get rid of excess suds will take forever.

And yes, how do commercial laundromats keep their front loaders from getting moldy??

by Anonymousreply 143May 19, 2023 2:31 PM

The big liquid detergent containers accelerated so much of our plastic trash. We'll poison the earth and kill ourselves with that shit.

Agree that boxed powdered detergent is hard to find. And I've had not great luck with the environmentally friendly alternatives - tried a few and they stained our laundry.

by Anonymousreply 144May 19, 2023 2:35 PM

[quote] from a top loader to a front loader

Ugh, we're throwing out our old and still functional washer because front loaders are the worst, and they stink like Chrissy Metz's gunt after a yeast infection.

by Anonymousreply 145May 19, 2023 2:36 PM

I prefer a powder because I can add trisodium phosphate (TSP) which was taken out of laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent, which is why nothing laundered or put through a dishwasher ever got clean as it used to.

Persil is the best, but they don't seem to make - or it is not available in the USA - an unscented powder. I think they may have changed the formula of their powder because the smell used to be mild, and now it is offensively strong.

I'm replacing my top-load LG washer because it doesn't clean properly. Never has. So much for Consumer Ratings. Sometimes the "washed" clothes end up after the spin cycle in the exact same position as I dumped them in the washer. As a test, once, I tried loaded it with folded jeans; they all ended up still (generally) folded when the cycle was finished. So much for weighing clothes and adjusting water level and high efficiency bullshit. I'm going back to a top-load with an agitator; at least it moved the clothes - agitator - and actually washed them. And I had control over how much water I needed. And I didn't need to unlock the fucking washer every time I wanted to add something to the washer load.

by Anonymousreply 146May 19, 2023 2:47 PM

Borax is still around.

by Anonymousreply 147May 19, 2023 2:54 PM

Powdered detergent, lovers: try this wonderful detergent, Charlies Soap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 19, 2023 3:06 PM

[quote] trisodium phosphate

It was taken out of detergents, you dumb cunt, because it is destructive to the environment.

by Anonymousreply 149May 19, 2023 3:06 PM

powder is more ecological. The shipping alone. But use 4 kinds of German liquid. Black, Color, White, and Sport fibre. And another for wool, of course. Since the pandemic began I only where cotton black polos and dark blue denim to work. With sweaters when necessary. The black liquid keeps the black and blue darker for a longer. The sport fibre liquid makes a difference for all synthetics that need to wick and breathe. You can used half the recommended dose. And less than that. So the huge bottles of liquid last a long time. you shouldn't see that much mousse.

by Anonymousreply 150May 19, 2023 3:15 PM

[quote]Persil is the best, but they don't seem to make - or it is not available in the USA - an unscented powder. I think they may have changed the formula of their powder because the smell used to be mild, and now it is offensively strong.

Complain to Mariska Hargitay. Her husband is their spokesmodel.

by Anonymousreply 151May 19, 2023 3:18 PM

151 posts and no one has mentioned which brand is best for getting those difficult cum stains out of one's fine washables?

by Anonymousreply 152May 19, 2023 3:19 PM

R149

Thanks. I'm aware.

by Anonymousreply 153May 19, 2023 3:21 PM

R141, I like doing laundry too, and then I hang it outside on a clothesline.

R148, thanks for that link. I'm going to try it.

by Anonymousreply 154May 19, 2023 5:35 PM

Eldergay Alert!!! Can I use powdered detergents in a newer washer machine with the little trays?

by Anonymousreply 155May 19, 2023 11:11 PM

Nonsense R2, especially if the detergent is concentrated. And if the powder gets caught and doesn't dissolve all the way, it can lighten the areas of clothing where it lands.

Tide is actually very good, I've seen the tests. I use the Tide Free HE for my front loader when I'm not using Kookaburra Wash for my silks and wools.

by Anonymousreply 156May 19, 2023 11:23 PM

The regular liquid Tide detergent is hard to find now, too. I can only buy the HD version....and my washing machine is old, not a new energy efficient one.

by Anonymousreply 157May 19, 2023 11:32 PM

oops...HE, not HD.^

by Anonymousreply 158May 19, 2023 11:33 PM

If I could I would still use powdered Cheer.

by Anonymousreply 159May 19, 2023 11:57 PM

[quote] Wet powdered laundry detergent smells like cum.

And the problem with that is...?

by Anonymousreply 160May 20, 2023 12:13 AM

So much to unpack and pour and agitate here.

My favorite powdered detergent is Foca - thanks, Mexico! It's cheap, about $1 per lb, works well, is gentle and smells pleasant. I use Foca on towels, dirty dog blankets, and other grimy stuff. If really filthy, I have a container of TSP old fashioned phosphate, and I add 2 tbsp per wash. I also use Foca in my mop bucket.

Henckel dumped most Purex powder detergents (and Wisk) several years ago after they took over Dial. They only have one powdered version left.

A friend gave me a couple detergent sheets and they didn't clean much at all. They'd be fine if your laundry isn't dirty to begin with, but they're also overpriced.

Persil 2X concentrate liquid is a ripoff. It doesn't work unless I use almost as much of it as I do the regular version. I won't make that mistake again. Except I may have no choice because they may have stopped making Persil Unscented regular liquid.

Homemade "detergent" (it's soap, not detergent), has at least a few problems: It can gunk up your machine; it doesn't work in cold water; the washing soda component definitely fades clothing, and it's a pain to make. The borax and washing soda will fuck up the blades of your food processor if you make it in one.

Virtually all detergents are HE now, and they work in all washers. OTOH, there's no need to worry about oversudsing with traditional detergents. Even Foca doesn't make too many suds in my front loader.

Kirkland powder has lots of washing soda in the formula and fades clothing.

I mostly use vinegar as a fabric softener.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161May 20, 2023 12:57 AM

“Homemade "detergent" (it's soap, not detergent), has at least a few problems: It can gunk up your machine; it doesn't work in cold water; the washing soda component definitely fades clothing, and it's a pain to make. The borax and washing soda will fuck up the blades of your food processor if you make it in one.”

Wrong on all points.

by Anonymousreply 162May 20, 2023 6:27 AM

Jean Stapleton insists on using Ivory Snow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 20, 2023 7:02 AM

^^ Ivory Snow powdered detergent was FANTASTIC. I still have a box and a half left -- I purchased them a few years ago when I realized it had been discontinued and then found some at a local Walmart.

[quote]If I could I would still use powdered Cheer.

Similar to the Ivory Snow situation, I still have half a box left, which I now ration by mixing it in with Tide and other detergents. I thought for sure Cheer powdered detergent would be the holdout, but no... it's gone now, too.

On a laundry-related note: has anyone found a fabric softener that smells like classic Downy?

Fabric softeners now are SO overperfumed. I don't want my clothes to smell like mangoes or marigolds or aftershave, I want them to smell like old tyme-y Downy.

Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 164May 20, 2023 11:16 AM

I have always bought powdered Tide at Amazon

by Anonymousreply 165May 20, 2023 11:32 AM

I buy and use Amway SA8 powder detergent

by Anonymousreply 166May 20, 2023 12:18 PM

Is amway still around???

by Anonymousreply 167May 20, 2023 12:24 PM

Buff City soap company makes powdered detergent that can be customized to their line of scents.

by Anonymousreply 168May 20, 2023 12:26 PM

[quote] Persil 2X concentrate liquid is a ripoff. It doesn't work unless I use almost as much of it as I do the regular version.

I cannot confirm that. I am using two versions, the regular scent (not the strong floral scent) and the unscented of the concentrate. In both cases I fill half of the small measuring cup for a full load of laundry, less for less laundry. Never had a problem. Laundry always comes out clean. My laundry is usually not overly dirty to begin with though, so that probably helps.

I know I sound like a shill, but these two concentrated versions of Persil are all I need. My laundry doesn't fade, and dirt gets out really well. Regular or unscented Tide works just as well. I never went for cheap detergent because they have less and/or inferior enzymes. If I buy laundry detergent just once every nine months, I may just as well go for the top brands, no need to save. For white laundry I add a little bit of Out Brite White. But that's it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169May 20, 2023 12:33 PM

Just a comment of pods vs liquid laundry detergents. If you read the chemical contents of pods, you will notice a long list. Same brand of liquid, significantly less. I haven't used powder for forever, but I did stop using pods because of the more chemicals. The household seemed to itch more with the pods.

I used All Free and Clear liquid, with Oxyclean. On my washer, I have a pre-soak button I can press, allowing the Oxyclean to dissolve to soak the clothes and work it's magic. This is what Oxycleans instructions prefer: soaking the clothes before washing. Check your washers cycle selection. It was a game changer for us! I know, Mary....

There are many ways to make you own powdered detergent. It's Borax, some soap shavings. Google it. One clever person bought a cheap food processor to do the soap shavings part. But as above, powder takes longer to dissolve, and sometimes leaves residue. But, a pre-soak cycle, if available, may help the powdered detergent to dissolve fully.

The funny part, I don't do the laundry, my partner does. My job is to tell him how to do it!

by Anonymousreply 170May 20, 2023 1:19 PM

[quote]Jean Stapleton insists on using Ivory Snow.

She was no Marilyn Chambers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171May 20, 2023 2:36 PM

I do the pre-soak as well, but with a quarter cup of Borax added to my scent free liquid detergent (usually All). Or I might let the load agitate halfway through the cycle, then stop it mid-way to soak for an hour or so (I have a top loading washing machine). It really helps get all the grime and residue out of the laundry, you can tell from the washing water and how 'grey' it gets from the soaking.

by Anonymousreply 172May 20, 2023 4:12 PM

For the person who asked about front-loaders, you have to clean the rubber seal when you're done doing laundry. Use something that fights mold in and around the rubber seal. Once you've done that, leave the door open to air dry. What you're smelling is the detergent residue, water, and air.

I have a top-loaded and always live the top open so the machine can dry out.

by Anonymousreply 173May 23, 2023 3:24 PM

Sometime aboot 15 years ago all the powdered detergents started leaving white streaks on my clothes. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 174May 23, 2023 5:58 PM

[quote]How do I get the awful smell out of my LG frontloader? I baby the thing to death and they still smell. So far I’ve: used affresh tabs regularly, cleaned the rubber gasket with bleach, bought special detergent for workout clothes, always leave the door open when it’s not in use, immediately empty it when its finished. Nothing helps.

Are you draining it out weekly?

by Anonymousreply 175May 25, 2023 5:09 AM

I discovered a fabulous way to make your whites white again. Lemon juice. Yup. Took the dinginess right out and made them sparkle. And if you put your load through an extra rinse it gets rid of the lemony smell.

by Anonymousreply 176August 2, 2023 10:41 PM

Re liquid laundry detergents -- paying for factory water in a product I use in water makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 177August 2, 2023 10:50 PM

Without powdered detergent how do young couples furnish their homes with towels, glasses, and dishes ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 2, 2023 11:05 PM

I hate their marketing, but Amway "S-8" powder laundry detergent is spectacular. No, I am not a dealer.

by Anonymousreply 179August 2, 2023 11:11 PM

WEHT 20 Mule Team Borax? With liquid, use HALF of what the directions tell you.

by Anonymousreply 180August 2, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote] WEHT 20 Mule Team Borax?

PETA had them, shut down for cruelty to mules

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 2, 2023 11:29 PM

What is wrong with pods? I use them along with Boraxabd my clothes smell great.

by Anonymousreply 182August 2, 2023 11:31 PM

All this talk of loads is making me horny!

by Anonymousreply 183August 2, 2023 11:33 PM

For those of you saying certain detergents are so fantastic, can you explain what you mean by that? What makes a detergent great?

by Anonymousreply 184August 2, 2023 11:36 PM

I know what you mean OP, suddenly I can’t find Lux Flakes anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 185August 3, 2023 12:02 AM

I remember the colorful Cheer boxes in the 80s and how my clothes smelled when my mother would use that and then line dry them. Couldn’t be beat.

Now I have a stupid front loader. Pods seem to work the best in it. This LG tends to get gooey if you aren’t scientific about measuring detergent. The cold water clean Tide Pods seem to keep the washer in the best shape.

I love older machines. We kept a 70s Maytag rocking and rolling at my grandparent’s house. Nice clean clothes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 3, 2023 12:39 AM

The current issue of Consumer Reports has a whole big article on laundry detergents (you can probably go read it at the supermarket) and they found that liquids are consistently much better at cleaning than powders. The pods and sheets are least effective of all.

by Anonymousreply 187August 3, 2023 12:47 AM

I'll continue use powders, thank you very much.

I don't get my laundry filthy so I really am unconcerned about any marginal cleaning power superiority of liquid detergents.

by Anonymousreply 188August 3, 2023 1:36 AM

I didn’t know anyone used powdered detergent any more. My mom used the laudromat for a while when I was a kid and I remember the powdered detergent that came in packets in the machine. That was in the early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 189August 3, 2023 1:06 PM

When I had a top loader, I’d start it running, put the powdered detergent in, let it dissolve and fill some more and then put the clothes in. Easy. Same when powdered detergent was discontinued and I was forced to buy liquid. Was visiting family last week and they had a new non-agitator top loader. The lid LOCKS when it starts so you are forced to pour the detergent on top of your clothes. What’s the point of locking a top loader?

by Anonymousreply 190August 3, 2023 5:06 PM

I use it daily

by Anonymousreply 191August 3, 2023 5:08 PM

Salvo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192August 3, 2023 5:19 PM

Is Roma that shitty detergent that makes people smell like a gas-station air freshener? Mexicans walk around in a cloud of the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 193August 3, 2023 5:42 PM

I thought everyone was moving over to repeat-use laundry eggs

by Anonymousreply 194August 3, 2023 5:49 PM

Charlie's Soap (powdered version) is the answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 3, 2023 5:59 PM

OP: do you also prefer tooth powder to toothpaste?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 3, 2023 8:19 PM

After all you have to pay for all that water in the toothpaste.

by Anonymousreply 197August 3, 2023 8:20 PM

I switched back to powder after reading this thread. Why pay for the water in liquid detergent?

by Anonymousreply 198August 3, 2023 8:54 PM

You can still buy TIDE powdered detergent at Walmart. Several varieties too.

by Anonymousreply 199August 3, 2023 9:41 PM

R199 the DL dumbasses here don’t care about facts.

by Anonymousreply 200August 3, 2023 11:37 PM

We make our own detergents. It's easy, very inexpensive, we can control the ingredients, and slight changes can cover laundry, dishes and house cleaning needs.

If you happen not to want to make your own soaps from scratch (people are afraid of lye, which we make, too before using for soap), soap flakes and washing soda can be combined with other ingredients you want to that's it.

by Anonymousreply 201August 3, 2023 11:54 PM

Powdered laundry detergent is very hard on clothes and it doesn't rinse out of your clothes well. It sometimes cakes up , it is bad for washers. Liquid detergent is better for your clothes and better for your washer.

by Anonymousreply 202August 4, 2023 12:30 AM

R202 thank god you didn’t pull that out of your ass

by Anonymousreply 203August 4, 2023 12:33 AM

I think r202 has a drinking problem… of liquid detergent!

by Anonymousreply 204August 4, 2023 1:55 AM

Totally true, I remember the powdered detergent caking up sometimes on the laundry.

by Anonymousreply 205August 4, 2023 1:59 PM

If you folks would buy STTP (Sodium Tri Poly Phosphate) from a site like "The Chemistry Store," ... you would never have caking problems, and both powder and liquid detergents would work WAY better. (Note: STPP is NOT, repeat NOT "STP" sodium-tri-phosphate) (they are totally different chemicals) You use about two heaping tablespoons in each load.

by Anonymousreply 206August 4, 2023 2:08 PM

Sorry: The first few words of ^^^^^^ should be: "If you folks would buy STPP... (sorry, it is early here where I am)

by Anonymousreply 207August 4, 2023 2:11 PM

R207, but why bother when you can just get liquid detergent. The other thing I read is that most people use way too much laundry detergent in each load of laundry. Back in the old days my Granny had a wringer washer and a long pole she'd use to stir the tub as the washed. Then the water would drain from a short hose into the laundry sink, and then refill to rinse them. She put each piece through the wringer to wring it out.

by Anonymousreply 208August 4, 2023 2:51 PM

You must have some weird water chemistry in your locality that causes powered detergent to cake occasionally.

I have washed with powdered detergents since I got out on my own and have been on different water supplies and three states. Some hard water, one soft. Never had a problem with caking.

I think Ms. Liquid is Better used too much powder when caking was caused.

by Anonymousreply 209August 4, 2023 2:57 PM

r209 water so hard here it comes out of the faucet looking like skim milk; water heaters last about a year before clogging up. 15-year-old house plumbing has to be replaced (all of it) because of calcium deposits completely cutting off all flow.

by Anonymousreply 210August 4, 2023 3:06 PM

Tapwater in my area (attached .pdf)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 4, 2023 3:10 PM

Well, you can dissolve powdered detergent in water before using it, why not?

by Anonymousreply 212August 4, 2023 4:26 PM

My experience is that Charlie's doesn't work well at all, plus it's more expensive. Happy with my Costco scent-free liquid detergent.

by Anonymousreply 213August 4, 2023 4:47 PM

Charlie's Soap works well for me .. but I don't work in an abattoir

by Anonymousreply 214August 4, 2023 11:24 PM

Some people here are really, really into doing laundry.

by Anonymousreply 215August 5, 2023 12:04 AM

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

by Anonymousreply 216August 5, 2023 1:19 AM

I like Tide best anyway.

by Anonymousreply 217August 5, 2023 6:56 AM

WEHT brains and logic??

by Anonymousreply 218August 5, 2023 1:57 PM

Dissolving laundry detergent sheets are green washing. The claim that they are plastic free is a lie. They are made from polyvinyl alcohol, which is the same plastic that laundry pods are made from. Technically, they are biodegradable if your water treatment plant adds the right microbes, but most don't so they contribute to microplastic pollution. Just because the plastic dissolved doesn't mean it disappears.

Ease-New York makes a detergent sheet that uses a fabric made from recycled plant fibers. They don't dissolve, but are biodegradable, and also act as dye catchers.

Regarding the homemade detergent recipes using Zote of Fels-Naptha. Don't use these, especially if you have hard water. Washing machines are designed to work with detergents, not soap, which is what Zote and Fels - Naphtha are. If you have hard water, eventually a layer of soap scum will build up in the parts of the machine that you don't see and it will ruin it.

I previously used powdered detergent from The Laundry, which is extremely concentrated. I recently switched to Dirty Labs which is an ultra concentrated liquid - I use 4ml pre load, which is a bit under a teaspoon. The detergent comes in an aluminum bottle. Aluminum recycling is far more efficient that plastic recycling.

by Anonymousreply 219August 5, 2023 2:14 PM

*per load

by Anonymousreply 220August 5, 2023 2:18 PM

I prefer a bit more than a teaspoon per load

by Anonymousreply 221August 5, 2023 6:15 PM

I have been using both Fels Naptha and Zote soap in my laundry detergent recipe for the past 12 years and I’ve had no problems whatsoever. My whirlpool washer is 29 years old this year.

by Anonymousreply 222August 5, 2023 7:18 PM

After years using natural detergents, i went back to Tide. It works the best.

by Anonymousreply 223August 5, 2023 7:53 PM

R223 Honey, you do what works for you.

I use Amway SA8 powder. I’ve been using it forever. My mom used to buy it from some people she hated who sold Amway. I just order it online directly from Amway. No bullshit yet I get to use the best ever laundry soap.

by Anonymousreply 224August 5, 2023 8:46 PM

There’s plenty of it at dollar stores.

by Anonymousreply 225August 5, 2023 9:17 PM

Lowes and Home Depot both sell powdered laundry detergent. Check their websites.

by Anonymousreply 226August 5, 2023 11:13 PM

Anything other than Seventh Generation or something like that makes me itchy. Sometimes I was the stuff by hand with Ivory and throw it in the washer for a hot rinse.

by Anonymousreply 227August 6, 2023 1:08 PM

*wash

by Anonymousreply 228August 6, 2023 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!