Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

Such a fun and campy 1980's movie!

Directed by Frank Oz

Produced by David Geffen

Music by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman

Narrated by Stanley Jones.

Starring Rick Moranis, Ellen Greene, Vincent Gardenia, Tichina Arnold, Michelle Weeks, Tisha Campbell, John Candy, Christopher Guest, Jim Belushi/Paul Dooley, Miriam Margolyes, Bill Murray and Steve Martin.

The voice of Levi Stubbs as Audrey II

Regardless of what anyone says, the movie belongs to Steve Martin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2023 5:03 PM

The director's cut is the best version FYI

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2022 11:35 PM

The Director's Cut

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2022 11:57 PM

I just watched this yesterday with my nephews. I was shocked that the version we watched had the original ending where Audrey II eats both Audrey and Seymour and then along with other Audrey IIs destroys and takes over earth. I had no idea that was the original ending and had to be reshot because it was too dark. I liked it, but I also like the theatical version where Seymour saves Audrey, destroys Audrey II and the move to the suburbs to live happily ever after...then the camera pans down to an Audrey II in their flower bed.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2022 12:05 AM

How could you forget to credit those background singers: Tichina Arnold, Michelle Weeks, Tisha Campbell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2022 12:07 AM

Ellen Greene is absolutely wonderful in this đź‘Ť

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2022 12:12 AM

R4 I credited the singers along with the Players. They are good, but Martin as Dr. Orin Scrivello, D.D.S. is better.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2022 12:21 AM

They are in San Francisco Skid Row

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2022 12:21 AM

Terrific soundtrack. I sing along, badly.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2022 12:23 AM

R8 What is your favorite song?

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2022 1:29 AM

Skid Row

Downtown where the folks are broke / You go Downtown where your life's a joke

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2022 2:00 AM

Love, love, love Little Shop!

Saw it multiple times in theaters when it came out. Dragged several friends to see it and they ended up loving it too.

Have seen the directors cut. Its well done, but so dark. I liked the Hollywood ending better. Don;t think the film would have done nearly as well or have resonated with so many people if they'd kept the dark ending.

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2022 2:06 AM

Feed me.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2022 2:06 AM

Feed me, Krelborn! Feed me NOW!

by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2022 2:07 AM

This doesn’t compare to the original, LOW budget movie. Campy, campy, campy. Jack Nicholson’s first role. So bad it’s good.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2022 2:09 AM

Side Note...Ellen Greene did a concert version with Jake Gyllenhaal in 2015 to honor her friend Howard Ashman who co-wrote the show and died of AIDS. She could still sing the shit outta that score. In all my years of theater I have never felt such electricity the air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2022 2:25 AM

I thought the movie was a swing and a miss, but not for lack of effort. I'm not sure why it didn't thrill me, maybe because it's such a morose, unpleasant story.

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2022 3:05 AM

R16 That is why I love it- a morose and unpleasant story with great songs, campy acting, and a lot of color.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2022 3:21 AM

I wanted to see it so bad in the theatre when I was a kid, but my mom thought I was saying Little Shop of Whores! I had to wait until it was on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2022 3:27 AM

The music is just fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2022 6:02 AM

R14 And famous dead girl Karyn Kupcinet has a minor role as a Audrey II fan girl.

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2022 6:09 AM

Favorite movie musical, along with cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2022 7:08 AM

R15 Why doesn't Jake Gyllenhaal do more musicals? He's got a great singing style.

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2022 7:17 AM

[quote]How could you forget to credit those background singers: Tichina Arnold, Michelle Weeks, Tisha Campbell

Wait, isn’t that the cast of Martin?

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2022 9:11 AM

[quote]Such a fun and campy 1980's movie!

Yeah, nothing says fun like murder. Why were we cheering on a murderer?

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2022 9:13 AM

Behind the scenes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2022 11:07 AM

I think the person who posted the behind the scenes blurred some images so Warner Bros wouldn't have it pulled.

by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2022 11:11 AM

Lucky to have seen the stage musical

by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2022 11:12 AM

Bloopers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2022 11:23 AM

R15 I have been to a lot of theater and nothing tops the electricity in the room when Ellen stepped on to the stage for the first time during that production. I thought, at her age she isn’t going to be able to live up to the hype. She crushed it!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2022 11:50 AM

Dr. Orin Scrivello, D.D.S. is my favorite Steve Martin characters

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2022 12:01 PM

I wish the movie included the track Mushnik and Son, but vest la vie. I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2022 12:07 PM

The movie is kind of a mess but serves as a bit of musical history showing Ellen Greene at her peak. Moranis isn’t bad either. Steve Martin doesn’t really work, and what works on stage with the plant doesn’t work at all in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2022 12:21 PM

Oh, and the trio is spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2022 12:21 PM

For my money, this is the last truly great movie musical. Just perfect. And I love both endings, for very different reasons.

Between this and Miss Piggy and Yoda, Frank Oz sits in the pantheon of greats (no matter what Bette Midler says).

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2022 12:30 PM

R32 What do you mean? Martin is so funny in this movie! My personal favorite character of his!

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2022 2:20 PM

I honestly think this is one of the greatest adaptations of a stage musical ever filmed. It just works. It shouldn't work, but it does.

I love musicals but I generally loathe adaptations of stage musicals. I can count on one hand the movie musicals that actually work. Little Shop is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2022 2:54 PM

Skid Row is just perfect in this film.

by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2022 3:20 PM

The songs in the musical are what makes it so good. Great, catchy songs--one after another. Love the big alien plant, too. Audrey II. I think the plant was the real scene stealer.

by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2022 3:26 PM

Half of you are saying it is a great film, the other half are saying it has The Wiz Effect- great soundtrack, poor film.

by Anonymousreply 39June 16, 2022 3:27 PM

What the fuck is a Suddenly Seymour?

by Anonymousreply 40June 16, 2022 3:52 PM

R40, why would you even click on this thread if you don't know? Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2022 3:57 PM

Unclench, fuckhead @ r41.

by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2022 4:14 PM

Would you like a Cadillac car?

Or a guest-shot on Jack Paar?

How about a date with Hedy Lamarr...

You gonna git it

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2022 4:16 PM

Another one of those oh so rare movies you can watch over and over. "Watch him suck up that gas Oh My God"!

by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2022 4:20 PM

Test audiences thought Audrey's death was too cruel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2022 4:25 PM

I need blood and he’s got more than enough

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2022 10:17 AM

I don't know. IIII don't knoooow. I've got so many strong reservations.

Should I go and perform...

mutilations?

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2022 12:41 PM

Not about the movie, but Alan Mencken talking about creating the show with Howard Ashman...and some performances. Pity anyone trying to play Audrey after Ellen Greene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2022 12:47 PM

Some Fun Now sung by the chorus is so much fun too :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2023 2:29 PM

Somewhere That's Green from 2015.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2023 2:58 PM

"They are in San Francisco Skid Row"

Skid Row is in downtown Los Angeles, it's a real place and still is. And I didn't find that out until I was over forty, I'd thought that was just a generic term for a shitty urban neighborhood.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite films ever, easily the best musical of the late 20th century, probably one of the top ten best musical films ever made! It's perfect, every song is as catchy as hell, every performance is spot-on, and the film makes the rare triumph of both being a great comedy and a great horror story. Many films try to take the tone from fun-and-games to shit's-got-real, and few succeed as well. And Rick Moranis's performance in the lead is perfect, he even sings the shit out of "Suddenly Seymour", and damn the screen lost a gem when he retired. Don't come back on our account, Rick, live your life as you deserve, just know that the work you did is still appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2023 3:17 PM

Eh, it left me cold.

In my opinion it is not a great musical. "Feel Bad" shows are tricky and as satire the whole thing can come off as bloated and a bit overwrought, as things do here.

Though capably done, I found it depressing.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2023 3:36 PM

The favorite musical of TCM host Dave Karger.

I love it, too.

And of course Somewhere That's Green and Part Of Your World from The Little Mermaid by the same songwriters.....sound so much alike.

Ellen is great - but I kind of like the character as played in the 1960 original in Jackie Joseph. And Vincent Gardenia gets on my last nerve as Mushnick.....

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2023 5:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!