Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My GP doctor of 25 years stealth retired.

No advanced notice. Just out.

And he was great and very human. At least the assistant called and said come collect your file if you want it.

Grrrr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2022 2:30 AM

He had sufficient.

It happens. Once upon a time I worked at a small ad agency and one of the partners abruptly announced she was retiring. She basically woke up one morning and was done. It was pretty shitty because it set off a chain reaction that ended up being the end of the agency and we all had to find new jobs.

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2022 2:42 PM

Can we have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2022 2:43 PM

Sure come and get it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2022 2:50 PM

They didn't even refer you to a new doctor or someone within the same department?

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2022 2:56 PM

Apparently there is a list when I go pick up my file or have it mailed to me. Independent GP, not a group.

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2022 3:03 PM

Being a physician now is far different than years ago.

I left after Covid, just graduated too.

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2022 3:22 PM

OP, are you in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2022 9:30 PM

He won the lottery. I would do the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2022 9:32 PM

My doctor did the same thing. I called for an appt and the nurse said he moved to Montana. I went to a gay dr and it has made a great difference in my treatment.

by Anonymousreply 9June 14, 2022 9:55 PM

R7 Geneva Switzerland

by Anonymousreply 10June 14, 2022 9:56 PM

Thanks R10, I recognized GP is not what we usually call our docs in the states

by Anonymousreply 11June 14, 2022 9:57 PM

My GP semi-retired but is still around to train the new guy, who I hate. He attributes everything to my drinking, even though I am a moderate (but daily) drinker of beer only. Last time I brought up that twice in the past 6 months I had "spells" where I almost lost consciousness upon standing up and couldn't keep myself from falling. I asked him to do some blood work and maybe adjust my blood pressure meds, but he just asked if I had been drinking (no) and shrugged it off.

by Anonymousreply 12June 14, 2022 10:17 PM

general practitioner is not used in the states?

by Anonymousreply 13June 14, 2022 10:19 PM

This has happened to me too, OP, three times. I’m in British Columbia (Vancouver Island), which has a massive shortage of doctors, especially GPs. Once you luck into having one, you daren’t let go, even if they’re terrible. If you lose your GP, you usually have to go to walk-in clinics (that fill up for the day by 09:00) or even emergency until there is an availability for a regular doctor. It really sucks. I hope you get another doctor soon. :/

by Anonymousreply 14June 14, 2022 10:31 PM

I am sorry, OP. This happened to me (a doc disappeared from a multi-doc practice, no explanation) and then a year after that I called to make an appointment and the entire practice had closed.

by Anonymousreply 15June 14, 2022 11:00 PM

R13 If you said it, someone might know what you meant.

But more often, depending on the insurance you use, they'd be called primary care doctor, or internist (internal medicine).

by Anonymousreply 16June 14, 2022 11:19 PM

My favorite GP was Dr. Sweeney before she went big time. She had a lovely office in Park Slope in the 90s. This Swiss doc was very serious and formal but I liked the formality of chatting in his office then moving to the examination room then back to the office for more chat. I guess that kind of practice is going the way of the dodo bird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2022 12:38 AM

That sucks, OP. I’ve had my GP for 30 years. I’m 55, he’s about 65. I recently asked him what his plans are for retirement and he told me he’s going to work until he dies but I don’t believe him. I suspect he’s just going to close up one day, no warning.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2022 1:16 AM

R4 Referrals are meaningless now. Even in a group practice, some doctors will not accept certain insurances. You need to call your insurance and find out what doctors are one your plan AND are accepting new patients. And then try to get an appointment.

I just closed my practice in the Hudson Valley and I gave my patients many months to find a doctor. It's THEIR JOB not my fucking job. I don't have an Excel spreadsheet with all doctors and their insurances that I spend hours updating every month.

So get on the fucking phone, and spend a few hours talking to your insurance and the doctors that may or may not accept your insurance.

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2022 1:21 AM

I had a bumper sticker on my Wrangler that read "I am a physician, not a magician".

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2022 1:33 AM

[quote]My favorite GP was Dr. Sweeney before she went big time.

I know her! I *love* her. TWICE, she nearly pushed me down to get somewhere! Once we were in a meeting at a hotel and a pre-recorded message came on saying there was a “biological emergency”(!!) and she pushed me out of the way going down the stairs to evacuate. And then once at the White House, she pushed me out of the way to go shake Obama’s hand. And I wasn’t even mad either time because she’s fucking awesome!

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2022 1:34 AM

I know it shouldn't matter, but I just have a need to have a male doctor. I think that I am much more comfortable sharing sexual concerns and being frank. My doctor and his PA are both gay and the dr was able to determine what kind of tests, care, etc. I should have based on my gay lifestyle. I've had other doctors before and never been asked if I was a top, bottom, or versatile. When I told him I was a bottom, he suggested an anal brushing to see it there were any HPV cells, which could lead to anal cancer, present. I did it and some cells were found, but they were removed. Since then, I have had a yearly brushing , but no cells have been detected. I would never had had this conversation with a female or even most straight doctors. So, after my other gay dr moved, I knew that I needed to find one that primarily treated gay men. It has been a real help.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2022 1:50 AM

[quote]I know it shouldn't matter, but I just have a need to have a male doctor.

I think that’s normal. I saw a female doctor for a long time. When I became an adult, I needed doctors to look at my penis and check my prostate and instantly switched to a male doctor.

I’ll only ever go to a female dentist. Guys have big clumsy hands that I don’t particularly want swinging drills around my mouth. I’ve been to male dentists, but the female dentists I’ve been to were always better. Not only were they better, but when I flinched, they stopped and would say “did that hurt?” and numb me up more. My male dentists would say “just another second” and keep on going! I’ll *never* go to a male dentist again.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2022 2:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!