Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jean Simmons in Roman Holiday

Jean Simmons was the original choice for Roman Holiday long before anyone even knew who anorexic Audrey Hepburn was. William Wyler even was ready to cancel the movie when Simmons was not allowed to be loaned out for this role.

A pity she didn't get the chance to play it because while she already was a popular star, this would have likely won her an Oscar and launched her as a superstar.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2022 10:14 AM

The twee was not as sugared on with her as it was with the ultimate, but lesser, choice.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2022 6:26 AM

I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee. Twee is whimsy without wit. It's mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me. She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid. I'm sure she was a delightful woman – and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don't and I didn't, so that's all there is to it, really.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2022 6:34 AM

Interesting, My first exposure to Jean Simmons was in ELMER GANTRY, which I watched about a decade ago. I kept thinking she was Audrey Hepburn. They were very similar, IMO. Like Vivien Leigh and Hedy Lamarr are more or less the same person to me. 🤷‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2022 6:58 AM

She was a cross between Vivien Leigh and Audrey Hepburn. Much prettier than Audrey though who was too gamine. She comes across as a dead ringer for Vivien in Hamlet though, which makes sense since the role was originally meant for Vivien.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2022 10:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!