Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What mattress do you all have?

I need to purchase a new mattress. Do you think avocado is worth the hype? What do you recommend?

I prefer to sleep on the cooler side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 7, 2022 11:17 PM

OP = Britney Spears

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2022 12:00 AM

Cue all the nutballs who say they sleep on pine needle mattresses. In a barn, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2022 12:01 AM

Aireloom & I love it!

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2022 12:02 AM

Tempur-Pedic, for twenty-two years. Still sleeps like new.

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2022 12:08 AM

Good question, OP. I'm in the market for a softer mattress and was wondering what to get. I was thinking a sleep number.

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2022 12:47 AM

Partner and I just replaced our old Tempurpedics with Puffy Luxe mattresses a few months ago. They’re great - firm yet soft, and I haven’t noticed getting excessively hot at night since I’ve had mine. I’d never heard of Puffy before, but when we researched mattresses before buying they had really high ratings.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2022 1:22 AM

Another tempurdedic lover

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2022 1:29 AM

A pine needle mattress is the way to go, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2022 1:32 AM

How very dare you, R2!!

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2022 1:32 AM

Dirt floor.

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2022 1:37 AM

Mine's edged with peas.

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2022 3:31 AM

I have a memory foam mattress which is comfortable but if you get one, get a good quality one.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2022 11:05 AM

Had a coil spring convention mattress for along time. As I aged and got heavier, as a side sleeper, my arms were often asleep from lack of blood flow upon awaking.

So I went mattress shopping and discovered that most coil spring mattresses these days cannot be flipped, just rotated. This means I would be forced to buy a new mattress sooner -- a cheeky ploy by the manufacturers for revenue enhancement.

Fuck that.

And I hate foam mattresses due to their extreme heat, I don't care what they claim. My brother has them at his house and I dread visiting there overnight. Ugh!

So I took the plunge and bought an adjustable air mattress at SleepNumber. Couldn't be happier.

And the "You can't flip our mattress" makers can go fuck themselves. Air can't develop metal fatigue leading to sagging.

My 2¢.

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2022 11:20 AM

I’ve been sleeping on pine needles for five years now, and I’ll be damned if I ever sleep on anything else.

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2022 11:32 AM

We have had a Sleep Number for 15-years and love it. We recently upgraded to a new King model. The old one went into a guest room and is still just like new. Great customer support when u need it, too.

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2022 11:45 AM

I sleep on the hardwood floor in a sleeping bag, well rested and it's good for my back.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2022 11:54 AM

And how many nights have you wakened by choking on insects that crawled into your mouth, R16?

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2022 11:57 AM

[quote]As I aged and got heavier, as a side sleeper, my arms were often asleep from lack of blood flow upon awaking.

R13, dear, arms "going to sleep" is because of a pinched nerve in your neck, it has absolutely nothing to do with blood flow.

OP, never ever buy a mattress unless you've tested it out first. That's a no-brainer.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2022 12:13 PM

r18 -- you are not a doctor but you are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2022 12:35 PM

Shiffman. Hand made, bought from Bloomingdale’s. Soft yet still solidly comfortable after 19 years as it should be: it cost about $4000 for the mattress (which can be turned and is, every three months) and box spring. It’s like buying good shoes: spend more, get more, and they last longer.

I still look forward to going to sleep on it and I’m in no rush to get a new one - my parents had a Shiffman mattress set that lasted 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2022 12:59 PM

Anyone have an Alaska king sized mattress? I think I want one…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2022 1:28 PM

"Green" and "mattress" are two words I don't want to hear together.

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2022 2:02 PM

One that can strap to my back.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2022 12:08 AM

All organic cotton and latex futon.

I'd love to have something with memory foam but my body can't handle the off-gassing VOCs or any pesticide residue, it feels like I'm lying on sheets soaked in caffeine. I bought a memory foam bodypillow lately and it ruined my sleep entirely. Had to throw it out and wash everything it had any contact with. Very chemically sensitive. It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2022 12:13 AM

r23 = Emma Sulkowicz

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2022 12:17 AM

anyone have an avocado mattress? what about saatva? Any additional brands like this?

I want a hybrid because I like wrapped coils, as I prefer to sleep cooler.

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2022 10:35 PM

^bump

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2022 10:36 PM

how do you bump a thread?

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2022 10:36 PM

Don't know about their mattresses but I purchased an Avocado pillow, which was expensive. Even so, their rave reviews convinced me to try one. Unfortunately, it KILLED my neck! After a week, I gave up on it and happily went back to my cheap, old TJ Maxx pillow. After experiencing the Avocado pillow, I would not be eager to try their other products.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2022 11:02 PM

Which sleep number mattress did you guys buy? or tempurdedic?

I'm looking to buy a new one! I like a firm mattress.

Please recommend me some! I need to buy rugs too. I hear labor day is the time to buy with lots of sales.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2022 8:40 PM

Love this guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2022 8:57 PM

Get that big purple one for the fatz I see advertised all over. It’s made from osmium or something to support your enbonpoint.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2022 9:01 PM

The "new" mattresses suck. I want a box springs and mattress.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2022 9:31 PM

I agree with the SleepNumber users. Best bed I've ever had, best customer service.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2022 9:39 PM

How long should one have a mattress?

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2022 9:55 PM

How do you get jism stains off of a mattress?

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2022 9:59 PM

I was researching and found out that foam mattresses give off toxic gases. NO thank you!

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2022 10:16 PM

R30 -- I bought the cheapest SleepNumber bed they had two years ago. Full size.

Came with the air pump that rests under my bed and a remote control to control the firmness. I did not want and did not buy any of the other fancy gizmos they have available.

I reused the box springs from my old coil spring mattress. You have to buy a sheet of plywood cut to size placed on top of the box springs and then the SleepNumber mattress goes on top of that. Got that at Lowe's. Or you can buy SleepNumber's custom base at extra cost.

I have a tufted mattress cover that I bought from The Company Store on my mattress. You would not know it wasn't a regular mattress to look at it, sit on it, or sleep on it.

It's a great mattress that leaves me in control of just how much firmness I want. Sometimes more, sometimes less. In two years I have come to really enjoy this feature. You can't do this is with foam or coil spring mattresses. And you never have to rotate or flip a SleepNumber!

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2022 10:31 PM

I bought a Saatva and love it. Made in America, and they set up the bed for you and haul away your old mattress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2022 10:35 PM

I bought this one. I bought into the old fashioned handmade hype. Unfortunately I found it to be far too firm and lumpy, so I bought a thick latex topper from Sleep On Latex. Now it feels like a dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2022 10:45 PM

Kingsdown -you can get the sides in different firmness levels.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2022 11:34 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2022 11:49 PM

^^^ I think we are being shown the door.

by Anonymousreply 43August 24, 2022 12:19 AM

I'm a side sleeper and would like a mattress on the softer side. I hate my current one but I'm overwhelmed where to start looking. I got my current one at IKEA when I was unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 44August 24, 2022 12:23 AM

We're a Casper household. Great for our bad backs.

by Anonymousreply 45August 24, 2022 1:08 AM

California king size is the only way to fly, in my book.

The extra length is essential if you’re tall, which I am.

by Anonymousreply 46August 24, 2022 1:09 AM

What about Nectar mattresses?

by Anonymousreply 47August 24, 2022 1:17 AM

R47, purchased a Nectar 6 months ago and don’t regret it. I find it comfortable and firm enough.

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2022 1:38 AM

I have a Tuft and Needle mattress. It's similar to Casper but according to testers, it's a little firmer and stays cooler. I have been very happy with it. It's about seven years old now and I have no idea how long it might last.

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2022 1:53 AM

Is it too firm, R48?

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2022 2:13 AM

[quote] What mattress do you all have?

One that's strapped to my back.

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2022 2:15 AM

R51 - R23 beat you to it

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2022 2:19 AM

Dang it. Though it makes me feel better they don't have any W&W.

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2022 2:20 AM

I have a Brooklyn bedding plank mattress and I love it. The firmest mattress I've ever had and that's what I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 54August 24, 2022 2:21 AM

I had a Tempur-Pedic but it killed my back. So I moved it to a guest room and bought a sleep number bed. Best purchase I've made in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 55August 24, 2022 2:22 AM

We use Saatva Solaires for all our beds, but we make our own down mattresses as toppers. It's a high fill and wonderfully comfortable. We keep a small flock of geese and buy Hungarian down when we need to augment.

by Anonymousreply 56August 24, 2022 2:31 AM

Whatever's laying in the alley that isn't too wet or stained. The drought's a mixed blessing, because whores and other homeless are using them even though they're not getting any rain.

by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2022 2:32 AM

Hastens…7 years in, and worth the extra-added cost. It really does help you stay cooler in the summer & warmer in the winter. Plus, they will send a certified mattress fluffer to your home for regular maintenance. 😴

by Anonymousreply 58August 24, 2022 2:35 AM

I'm skinny, but SWEAT like a mf at night. I sleep so damn hot. I'm on my 3rd mattress in about 15 years because I still can't find a legit cool one.

by Anonymousreply 59August 24, 2022 2:43 AM

Another vote for Tempur-Pedic®. I got the "breeze" model that's supposed to keep cooler, plus a massage base. The massage function is a joke, but I like being able to elevate the back to watch TV in bed. Was dubious about a foam mattress, but this one is cool enough for me. I've never slept better. Out like a light in under five minutes.

I'd love to have the "smart" base which tracks your sleep. I love that function on my Apple Watch.

by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2022 2:48 AM

Have you considered a tatami mat, r59? Almost as refreshing as a pine needle mattress but much easier to move.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2022 2:50 AM

R56, a word, dear?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2022 2:52 AM

R59 I 'spoiled myself' when I graduated from college by buying an expensive pillow-top mattress.

What a nightmare.

I had never had sleeping problems before then. The mattress held in heat and I would wake up and squirm to the other side of the bed to find a cool spot. I started having night sweats and had to change my clothes two or more times per night.

I also began having lower back pain, which was new to me. I didn't correlate it with the mattress.

I kept the mattress for years because it was expensive.

I finally replaced it with a foam mattress-in-a-box (the Tuft and Needle one mentioned above) and my years of back pain went away IMMEDIATELY and the mattress always stays cool and comfortable. I sleep so much better and I was really angry at myself for keeping that other fucked up thing for so long.

I will never buy another pillow-top mattress or another cushy one. Firmer is better, and cooler is better. At least for me.

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2022 10:14 AM

No mattress is good after 8 - 10 years. Throw it out and get a new one!

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2022 10:20 AM

It’s time for us and our 2 dogs to upgrade from Queen to king. Has anyone here purchased a split, adjustable mattress set? I’ve been researching them, but it feels overwhelming. Any advice appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2022 10:24 AM

All-natural full latex mattress is the way to go. I'd been suffering back pain since an accident when I was 19yrs old. About 5yrs ago I purchased a new latex mattress and approx 1 month later I was finally pain free. Mid 40s today and never felt better. I haven't woken with an achy anything in a long time. All credit to the mattress thread we had back in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 66August 24, 2022 10:35 AM

R50 not at all. For me it’s just the right amount of firmness.

by Anonymousreply 67August 24, 2022 10:53 AM

R53, did you get the Tuft and needle original mattress or mint mattress? I'm also considering this brand.

by Anonymousreply 68August 24, 2022 12:22 PM

R68 Original. I bought it when the company was a new competitor to Casper. The foam is made with ceramic so that it will be heat wicking, and that was the big selling point to me. I saw reviews of Casper that said "it gets a little too warm" and that was enough to turn me off.

I have looked at other mattresses in recent years and for some reason have thought since the one I have was relatively cheap, I would probably be better off with some other more expensive type of mattress. But I actually love the one I have and don't want to replace it. I sleep well on it and I had back pain for a decade before I got it and it went away literally days after I replaced the mattress and the pain has not come back since.

I feel like people's bodies are different and respond differently to different types of sleeping surfaces. This is perfect for me but it may not be for everyone. I will never by a soft, pillowy mattress again, though. I really was angry with myself when I replaced that old pillow top and my back pain disappeared overnight. A decade of back pain!

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2022 12:29 PM

All the ad pics of people lounging around on bare mattresses make it look like they’re living in a crack den.

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2022 12:39 PM

R65: we have a split king and I’d never go back. Partner moves a lot in his sleep and gets up several times a night. Since I’m a light sleeper, it’s horrible. We tried a king memory foam mattress, but you can still feel the other person moving around, regardless of what those stupid commercials used to show with the jumping woman and the glass of wine.

We also tried a Sleep Number bed. Also no good because again, movement. Finally, I impulsively bought a split king bed that is two separate twin mattresses and bed frames, sharing the same headboard and foot board. It’s perfect. We have separate matching sheets and duvets, so there’s no cover stealing and I can finally sleep through the night. The gap between the mattresses is negligible and doesn’t expand, because they’re both in the same head board and foot board, and each mattress is “nested” in a bed frame with a rail-so no sliding.

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2022 1:55 PM

I haven’t read the entire thread, so please pardon me if it’s been mentioned. OP, look into Corsicana bedding. I had my set custom-built for me years ago for under $500 and it’s been great. As good as or better than Sealy or Simmons. Prices have probably increased since then, however, I’m sure their current rates will still beat anything of similar high quality.

Nota bene: I bought mine through a furniture dealer. Be sure they can ship to you independently if you can’t find a dealer who contracts with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2022 6:43 PM

R59 and good quality egg crate mattress cover would probably help you. Don't buy a cheap one though. They're worthless.

by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2022 6:56 PM

R59 must inform us she is skinny before sharing that she's a slime worm.

We KNOW they're skinny, hon. Just be yourself.

by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2022 9:56 PM

SLEEP NUMBER ( Of the three “top thickness ” options, I prefer the least padding) ; put it on an electric control bed frame ($800-1,000 at Lowes, Menards, Penny’s , etc) , and you have a “Heavenly sleep spot”!

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2022 10:20 PM

I was reading recent reviews of tuff and needle and they are not good. seems the quality went down fast.

by Anonymousreply 76August 27, 2022 5:15 PM

I buy spring mattresses super cheap at Aldi. They last 2-3 years in regular use and forever on guest beds. In summer I put a cotton mattress pad. In the winter a wool mattress pad. I buy them because I like the feel of a spring mattress and they aerate extremely well. They are cheap and who wants a mattress collecting human and household particles and bacteria and organisms for years. After a couple years, chuck and get a new one.

by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2022 5:22 PM

I needed this thread. I'm in the market.

by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2022 5:23 PM

R76 That's a bummer! I really like mine a lot. I was very skeptical when I bought it but it's been great for six years.

by Anonymousreply 79August 27, 2022 5:28 PM

R56 we have our linen sheets woven by virgin Catholic nuns on old looms in Portugal. The flax comes from the organic farm we run in Emmental, which is a partnership with a UN agency and offers apprenticeships for refugees from Yemen and Sudan.

by Anonymousreply 80August 27, 2022 5:31 PM

How cheap, R77? Also, they're "at Aldi", like at the store, or you order them from Aldi? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 81August 27, 2022 5:36 PM

Aldi? Like where I get my knock off Girl Scout Cookies?

by Anonymousreply 82August 27, 2022 5:38 PM

What about Nectar mattresses?

by Anonymousreply 83August 27, 2022 5:39 PM

R83, I purchased a Nectar mattress this year and I find it pretty comfortable. Nectar does have a 365 day return policy (provided you have space to keep your old mattress somewhere, I didn’t ).

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2022 10:48 AM

Aldi I refer to are European Aldis For me, Switzerland. They have them a couple times a year on offer. Spring mattresses 1 time. Then "eco foam" mattresses another. They are online and in shops. about 200 USD but if they don't sell them al you'll find them marked down in the store. I don't now if this is a product that makes it to the states. Mine are often even Made in Germany or Made in Europe. Not bad, eh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2022 11:05 AM

I've been told labor day holiday is a great time to buy with lots of discounts. when is the next one? Coz I still have trouble deciding and I need to go to the stores to test out the mattresses.

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2022 2:48 PM

I've heard so many mixed reviews on Sleep Number mattresses that I talk myself out of one every year.

by Anonymousreply 87August 29, 2022 5:52 PM

I bet anyone who lives in Switzerland is real classy-based!

by Anonymousreply 88August 29, 2022 6:07 PM

[R86]. Hmm…you’re asking when the next Labor Day is?? Same as before: first Monday in September. Gee whiz…

by Anonymousreply 89August 29, 2022 7:16 PM

R88 - yeah I'm so classy that I buy my mattresses at Aldi Switzerland. Seriously though, they are the right price and the spring ones are very easy to sleep on and keep air circulating. For pretension, I have extravagantly luxurious 100% Swiss down duvets and pillows, all seasons, and heritage Swiss and Italian linens in weaves and fibre blends that no longer exist. Also with woolens no longer woven and that will never destruct. All on 200 dollar mattresses.

by Anonymousreply 90August 29, 2022 9:10 PM

Watch out for Bed in a box mattresses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 29, 2022 9:20 PM

Dang, r90 is a prince or some kind of Swiss marquis.

by Anonymousreply 92August 29, 2022 9:22 PM

He spells it fibre, which is real classy-based!

by Anonymousreply 93August 29, 2022 9:23 PM

So what are the pros of cons of spring and foam mattresses? I can't decide what to get.

by Anonymousreply 94August 30, 2022 3:00 AM

Foam can be too soft and can give off toxic gases

by Anonymousreply 95August 30, 2022 3:07 AM

I think I'll stick with my pine needle mattress. It's natural, has a nice fresh scent, and is comfy no matter which way I sleep.

by Anonymousreply 96August 30, 2022 3:30 AM

I got a Ghost Bed with the adjustable base. My sister liked the mattress so much she got her one as well minus the base. It has active cooling which helps tremendously as I’m a hot sleeper.

by Anonymousreply 97August 30, 2022 3:49 AM

I think I'm going to buy a Saatva mattress.

by Anonymousreply 98August 30, 2022 5:51 PM

I have a beautyrest but need to replace it because it is 24 years old

by Anonymousreply 99August 30, 2022 6:00 PM

They sure don't make mattresses like they used to, r99. Amirite?

by Anonymousreply 100August 30, 2022 6:08 PM

r100 I don't know because I haven't had a new one one since 1998

by Anonymousreply 101August 30, 2022 6:13 PM

I'm on the hunt for a new mattress too... simply? Need something that is quite firm, but soft to the touch and stays cool and that won't cost me a small fortune?...

by Anonymousreply 102August 30, 2022 6:15 PM

How much do you all invest in a bed? I went to Mattress Firm yesterday and they were like $2400!

by Anonymousreply 103August 30, 2022 6:25 PM

the Saatva mattress I'm looking at is under $2000. I'm gonna check it out at the showroom later. there are deals this week, don't miss out!

by Anonymousreply 104August 30, 2022 6:45 PM

My no-frills SleepNumber was about $900 with tax two years ago. Full size. No Wi-Fi or app.

by Anonymousreply 105August 30, 2022 6:48 PM

I have an Avocado with a pillow top, which is highly ranked by Consumer Reports -- I'm a combination sleeper, mostly side, sometimes on back. It sleeps cool, being a hybrid, made with latex and soft above, but you feel support by all the metal coils underneath.

by Anonymousreply 106August 30, 2022 6:55 PM

Only Serta is endorsed by Miss Joey Heatherton. I wake up dancing like Joey every morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 30, 2022 6:55 PM

Joey was pretty hot, but then she crashed. Did it start when her husband Lance Rentzell was jailed? Poor Joey, who really could rock Michael Bennett's choreography back in the day!

by Anonymousreply 108August 30, 2022 6:58 PM

I only ever buy from Miracle Mattress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 30, 2022 7:11 PM

There was a waterbed frame in the garage when I moved into this house and thought it would be fun go get a bladder for it and have been sleeping on that for the last15 years, when it pops I think I'll find a mattress to fit in the 50 year old mirrored canopy wooden frame.

by Anonymousreply 110August 30, 2022 7:20 PM

The one my husband picked. And the guest beds, too.

I can sleep pretty soundly in a straight-backed wooden chair or on a floor with a shirt balled up as my pillow. Anything more than that is luxury, so I leave it to people who care.

by Anonymousreply 111August 30, 2022 10:07 PM

You cannot go wrong with the Saatva.

by Anonymousreply 112September 1, 2022 8:10 PM

Bought a dreamcloud deluxe during lockdown. If I was gonna be at home, I was gonna have a GOOD bed

by Anonymousreply 113September 1, 2022 8:19 PM

do you know if they will have deals during Nov?

by Anonymousreply 114September 3, 2022 1:01 AM

Like r2 said, pine needles. My boyfriend refuses to sleep over, but he likes to lick the sap off of me.

by Anonymousreply 115September 3, 2022 1:08 AM

So foam mattresses are not a good idea because they release toxins, is that right? Do you have spring mattresses?

by Anonymousreply 116September 3, 2022 1:15 AM

R116, Latex ones are ok. but they are more expensive

by Anonymousreply 117September 3, 2022 1:21 AM

r116, they also disintegrate with heat (like body heat) and even in the best case scenario really only last for 3 years.

What you want is a dunlop latex mattress. They'll last for 50 years and offer perfect spinal support.

Or one made of pine needles, if you're daring.

by Anonymousreply 118September 3, 2022 1:25 AM

Is Saatva only available online? I don't want to buy a mattress without laying on it first.

by Anonymousreply 119September 3, 2022 1:34 AM

they have showrooms in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 120September 3, 2022 1:43 AM

This one. It's awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 3, 2022 1:44 AM

Seems most of the brands in the "best of" articles (Saatva, Dreamcloud, etc) are all online ordering. I know they can be returned, but I can't see getting a mattress without at least trying it out in a store.

by Anonymousreply 122September 3, 2022 4:02 AM

Serta Perfect Sleeper.

by Anonymousreply 123September 3, 2022 4:14 AM

R103, careful with Mattress Firm. I bought a mattress from them a few years ago, and when it was delivered I found a “used” tag on it. I did NOT pay for a used mattress. I had the delivery guys take it back and called the asshole who sold it to me. Apparently, based on complaints online, they are notorious for delivering mattresses that have been returned after people used them for 100 day trials.

by Anonymousreply 124September 3, 2022 4:23 AM

I tried the Purple mattress. Did not like it at all.

by Anonymousreply 125September 3, 2022 4:24 AM

thanks for all the feedback. keep them coming!

by Anonymousreply 126September 3, 2022 4:29 AM

I bought a latex mattress from Sleep on Latex last year when my foam mattress from Tuft & Needle became lumpy and uncomfortable after five years. I hated it for the first few days and almost sent it back but have wound up loving it. Everyone who says latex is the best for comfort and for pain relief is telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 127September 3, 2022 4:58 AM

I'm looking for a new mattress too. You're all joking about the Serta Perfect Sleepers and the Heatherton commercials, but heck I may end up getting one of these, as the Serta, Sealy, Simmons, etc are the only mattresses that are in showrooms that one can actually test out before buying.

by Anonymousreply 128September 3, 2022 12:29 PM

You can test the sleep number mattresses at the sleep number stores.

by Anonymousreply 129September 3, 2022 5:13 PM

Another Saatva fan here. I've had mine about 14 mos. and I've never slept better in my life. A 5-star sleep, but if I'm honest 4-star build quality.

by Anonymousreply 130September 3, 2022 6:02 PM

So, to take advantage of the holiday sales, I went to a local furniture place to test out some mattresses. Wanting an innerspring and expecting to get a Serta/Simmons/Sealy, the salesman also showed me King Koil and Aireloom which were a lot more comfortable and (supposedly) better for side sleepers. The Aireloom felt wonderful, but because they're about $1000 more than a King Koil, I went with that. A good thing about the KK is that their 'sag' warranty covers for a smaller sag than any other mattress (which, I suppose is why KK markets to heavier people/couples). Had to special order because the size I wanted isn't in stock, so I'll get it in a couple of weeks.

I consider the KK that I got to be a hybrid because it does have latex and foam, but the sales guy called it an innerspring. For grins, I tried out a memory foam and I actually had a hard time getting in and out of it because of how I sunk into it (and I'm a petite woman). Didn't like it at all.

Hope I don't regret the purchase, as I really dislike shopping for stuff like this.

by Anonymousreply 131September 3, 2022 6:26 PM

I have an Intellibed Nightfall, a bit pricey but definitely worth it if you have the money.

by Anonymousreply 132September 3, 2022 7:21 PM

Drew aka LoneFox loves his Helix mattress. The number of tricks he's brought home to help test the mattress is unknown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 3, 2022 7:28 PM

too many damn choices to choose from! it's almost as bad as too many choices for off the counter meds for a cough or cold.

by Anonymousreply 134September 3, 2022 11:47 PM

I hope it works out, [R131]. Report back after you’ve slept on it for a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 135September 3, 2022 11:50 PM

Intellibed has a 20-year warranty, they will replace if you get a 0.75 inch sag. Never have I slept so well, it is really high quality. I had a MyGreenMattress for a year and it started being uncomfortable after 10 months.

by Anonymousreply 136September 4, 2022 12:22 AM

I have a Leesa Supira Hybrid, which I bought four years ago to replace a ten year old Beautyrest with a pillowtop and the whole nine yards. I tried Ortho-Pedic, but returned it after two weeks. Same with the Sleep Number. I'm delighted some of you guys were satisfied with yours, but mine jiggled all night long. I ordered a Casper (original), but it was hot as hell, so I returned it (and Casper is a bitch company to return a mattress to).

Context: I'm 6'6" and, at the time, just north of 400 lbs. I knew *any* mattress was going to develop a sag from my whale-like carcass. A fellow fat ass suggested the Supira, so I ordered one. I got the hybrid due to the experience with Casper regular. There is no jiggling from the husband or the dogs. In fact, I found the mattress too firm, although I never thought a mattress could be too firm for me. So I bought a four inch, organic Dunlop latex topper. The result has been supremely satisfying.

I turn the mattress a couple times a year, but it is not a flippable one. Thus far, there have been no sags whatsoever. Since I got it, I have lost about 130 lbs. (and the husband), so I worry less about deformation than I used to. Sleeping cool while being covered (weird habit; I cannot sleep unless there is at least a sheet covering me) is most important to me. The Leesa Supira hybrid does this for me.

by Anonymousreply 137September 4, 2022 12:45 AM

What's the best medium good old fashioned spring mattress?

by Anonymousreply 138September 4, 2022 1:20 AM

[quote] I tried the Purple mattress. Did not like it at all.

R125, can you describe what you didn't like? I tried them in one of their stores last week, and I liked it. It doesn't look like it can age much based on the material. And it won't heat up. This and the Sleepnumber are my current favorites for a new mattress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 4, 2022 1:43 AM

mattress that comes in the box will not hold up. it's not meant to be packed in a box rolled up!

by Anonymousreply 140September 4, 2022 2:29 AM

^ that's what I'm saying!

by Anonymousreply 141September 4, 2022 3:19 AM

Saatva has extended labor day sale until 9/12!

by Anonymousreply 142September 6, 2022 4:08 PM

Who makes a really good twin mattress?

by Anonymousreply 143October 13, 2022 10:39 PM

R20 sounds like an unfilmed Seinfeld episode, "It's a Shiffman!"

Under the mistaken impression that his father is dying, Jerry flies to Florida to see his parents at Del Boca Vista. Angry to discover their ruse to avoid visiting in NYC, he slips in the marble floored lobby and is laid up in his parents,' bed for a week because "it's a Shiffman!"

by Anonymousreply 144October 13, 2022 10:51 PM

I have an innovative mattress constructed of bubble wrap, however there are unforeseen drawbacks.

by Anonymousreply 145October 13, 2022 11:11 PM

Sterns & Foster, from Sears before it folded here in Canada. Firm pillow top with integrated coil. It's been a great mattress, but approaching 10 years, so it will be replaced soon.

I may opt for the same, it's honestly been a great mattress. I'm not up on mattress technology and don't know what advances have been made in the last 8 years. I'm not someone who would ever buy a mattress out of a box like some young 20 something asshole that could sleep on anything. WAITING TO GET YUCKED BY THE GRAMPS TROLL NOW.

by Anonymousreply 146October 14, 2022 12:05 AM

I'm a hot sleeper and memory foam mattresses are a nightmare. I bought an ChiliSleep Ooli which is like an electric blanket you lay over the mattress, but cooling - it's got water running through it. Took months to arrive, but what doesn't these days? It was expensive, but I'm happy with it and now it doesn't matter what type of mattress I get in the future. I've even taken it on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 147October 14, 2022 12:11 AM

R148: I'm a 60-something "asshole that [can] sleep comfortably on anything" and have bought order online mattresses that arrive in a box, and probably cheaper still mattresses at local mattress stores. The last one my husband picked out, because he cares, just a little, which is more than I do.

by Anonymousreply 148October 14, 2022 12:17 AM

What's a good spring mattress for those that don't want to inhale foam fumes?

by Anonymousreply 149October 14, 2022 1:45 PM

R149, the expensive ones.

by Anonymousreply 150October 14, 2022 8:30 PM

Are there any reliable rating sites left to go by?

by Anonymousreply 151October 14, 2022 8:39 PM

I've been wavering on what to buy for about two years now and finally started searching around again. I saw LatexForLess.com is running a sale for $600 off mattresses until tonight, 10/25 @ 11:59p and thought I'd better share with my fellow wafflers.

I checked coupon sites and Relax100 worked in cart for another $100 off so I'm finally going for it. Thanks for all your advice over many, many mattress threads. I'll be back with my review once I've had time to acclimate.

by Anonymousreply 152October 25, 2022 9:38 AM

I just ordered a new mattress. I'm in Europe but have ordered an American-designed (but locally made) Sealy, and I can't wait for it to be delivered as my old futon is killing me.

Having done a fair amount of research beforehand, I can say that r13 is talking nonsense. You can't flip a decent spring mattress these days because, aside from the springs, they have several other layers of different materials (e.g. fabric, foam, gel) usually above the coils. The top side (which has a great sleeping surface) is very different from the bottom side of the mattress. My new mattress can be rotated but not flipped, but will still last me the traditional standard 10 years.

If you want a mattress just with springs on it, then you can buy some cheap spring mattress that you can rotate from Ikea, yet without getting a decent night's sleep and with having to replace it much sooner than 10 years (I bought a mattress from Ikea 11 months ago, which is nasty).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 25, 2022 10:11 AM

And why are the top and bottom materials covering the springs different, r153?

Who decided to make them different, favoring only one sleeping surface?

Think!

I stand by my assertions.

by Anonymousreply 154October 25, 2022 10:38 AM

Trained, experienced and expert mattress designers who are working to design better mattresses, r154. Which still last for 10 years and offer better quality for the same price range than the old-style mattresses that could be flipped.

by Anonymousreply 155October 25, 2022 11:01 AM

I think you work for mattress industry and are defending the indefensible.

And I expect a mattress to last longer than 10 years, like they easily did when a mattress could be both rotated and flipped.

by Anonymousreply 156October 25, 2022 11:06 AM

Lol, no r156, I don't work for the mattress industry. A ten-year average lifespan for a mattress has long been the standard.

Enjoy your SleepNumber - they sound more like a mattress industry money-making fad than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 157October 25, 2022 11:29 AM

Foam mattresses continue to offgas years after you buy them. My friend has some kind of meter that measures VOCs and in the daytime when his (large) dog goes to lie on the bed, he can see the rise on the meter from the dog’s body heat.

by Anonymousreply 158October 25, 2022 11:41 AM

Sounds heavenly.

by Anonymousreply 159October 25, 2022 1:32 PM

Sorry, R153, but R13 is right. As someone old enough to have owned several mattresses, I can attest that non-flippable ones develop dents where you lie after a very small number of years, and certainly do not last longer than the good-quality flippable ones of the past (by the same manufacturers).

The other thing about them is they're too heavy for a woman or an older man to lift alone, even enough to ensure the fitted sheet sits properly under the mattress or to tuck blankets in down the sides.

by Anonymousreply 160October 25, 2022 1:49 PM

The main, thing, OP, is not to buy this OP's mattress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 25, 2022 1:52 PM

My mattress is 16 years old. It’s a queen and I sleep on one side. Every five years or so I rotate it so that I’m sleeping on the other side. I’ve only ever slept on it with a waterproof plastic covering on it under the sheet, to keep it from absorbing any sweat or dead skin cells.

by Anonymousreply 162October 25, 2022 2:00 PM

Sleep number is overpriced as hell. It’s a blowup bed! You should see how cheap looking their bases are too. I worked in a store so I know they are selling junk. A good mattress has hundreds of individually wrapped coils, lots of layers of foams. You know those button hole areas? Always ask if the string goes the whole way through to the bottom. That’s the mark of a well made mattress.

by Anonymousreply 163October 25, 2022 2:27 PM

I've had quite a few mattresses in my time too, r160, and in my experience the older spring mattresses that could be flipped were pretty shit. The whole reason for flipping them was because they had started sagging.

"to tuck blankets in down the sides" - You must be old!

by Anonymousreply 164October 25, 2022 2:50 PM

r163, I visited the sleep number website during my research and it was such a mess I gave up almost immediately. It gave off wacky waving arm inflatable man vibes lol. All flash with product details nowhere to be found, although I'm sure they are there...somewhere. Several mattress manufacturer sites I visited were like that and all were irritating but that was the worst by far.

by Anonymousreply 165October 25, 2022 4:05 PM

Like a used car lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 25, 2022 4:11 PM

R165 -- Why didn't you visit a SleepNumber store and try out their wares?

by Anonymousreply 167October 25, 2022 9:47 PM

What's the update guys? Did you buy and do you like it?

by Anonymousreply 168November 23, 2022 11:47 PM

nobody buying any mattresses for the new year?

by Anonymousreply 169November 24, 2022 10:36 PM

I bought a hybrid from Nest Bedding about five years ago. I’m a side sleeper and it has zones with different levels of support designed to keep your spine straight as you sleep on your side. It’s still really comfortable, but because of the different support zones you can’t rotate or flip the mattress. I expect I’ll have to replace it at ten years.

by Anonymousreply 170November 25, 2022 1:35 AM

Can you rotate and flip a avocado mattress?

by Anonymousreply 171November 25, 2022 3:26 AM

[Quote]How do you get jism stains off of a mattress?

By prevention. Always use a mattress protector. They can be thrown into the washer

by Anonymousreply 172November 25, 2022 5:08 AM

bought an 18" pillowtop mattress at Macy's for $799 in 2014. Feels like new and so comfortable. It can't be flipped but you can rotate it.

Serta Perfect Sleeper Queen of course 820 coils

by Anonymousreply 173November 25, 2022 5:12 AM

If you have the $$$, get an Intellibed, you won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 174November 25, 2022 5:21 AM

Cocoon™ by Sealy. Comfy, cheaper than some.

by Anonymousreply 175November 25, 2022 5:49 AM

Hello Again. I'm the one who bought the King Koil back in September. While I can't say that I'm having the best sleeps ever, this is a good, comfortable mattress and I have no reason to not recommend it.

I will say that I'm very happy that these foam/spring hybrids are not to be flipped, because they're friggin' heavy. Just rotating it is exhausting.

The only downside is that it's a 12" mattress and my previous one was a 10", so I've had to buy new flannel sheets. One of those extra things to consider if you're shopping for mattresses.

by Anonymousreply 176December 4, 2022 6:11 PM

King TempurPedic Extra firm. The only mattress i can sleep on.

by Anonymousreply 177December 4, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]All organic cotton and latex futon....I'd love to have something with memory foam but my body can't handle the off-gassing VOCs or any pesticide residue, it feels like I'm lying on sheets soaked in caffeine. I bought a memory foam body pillow lately and it ruined my sleep entirely. Had to throw it out and wash everything it had any contact with. Very chemically sensitive. It sucks.

Same here, unfortunately. I'm highly allergic to the chemicals in all the manmade foams, and the anti-flammable chemicals they spray all over everything (by law) make me very ill. It's natural and chemical-free/organic all the way for me, it's a lot more cost but worth it so I can sleep soundly.

Unfortunately I have to avoid latex as well - am allergic to latex bandaids, so should avoid it elsewhere. My current mattress is coils, organic cotton and wool layers with a chemical-free cotton cover. It's aged out though, so I'm in the market for a new one after the New Year. I'm frightened to see the prices these days, but I figure with care a well-crafted mattress should last 10-15 years.

by Anonymousreply 178December 4, 2022 7:11 PM

Ikea cheapie. Very comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 179December 4, 2022 8:48 PM

I'm thinking of getting a japanese futon. is this different than those regular futon mattress? which one is firmer?

by Anonymousreply 180December 7, 2022 11:12 PM

Reserved

by Anonymousreply 181December 7, 2022 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!