Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul McCartney

What are your favorite songs ?

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2023 3:17 PM

The Beatles aren't really relevant anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2022 6:33 AM

Maybe I’m Amazed

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2022 6:40 AM

He's dead, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2022 6:41 AM

Golden Slumbers

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2022 6:56 AM

Michelle

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2022 7:54 AM
by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2022 12:49 PM

Paul > John

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2022 1:13 PM

That was your last mistake. You took your lucky break and broke it in two. Now what can be done for you? You broke it in two.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2022 1:14 PM

My Brave Face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2022 6:42 PM

C Moon is another gem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2022 6:44 PM

Another DLer and I have talked about this song before— it’s so lovely. ‘One of these Days’:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2022 6:49 PM

Believe it or not as a young gayling, I of course knew of the Beatles but it was Paul & Wings that I liked way more. Now I appreciate the Beatles but i still listen to Paul more frequently. I’m not much of a “rock” fan and Paul/Wings always seemed unabashedly/unapologetically pop which is my speed. Lennon’s solo stuff in particular always put me off a bit and he could be very pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2022 6:49 PM

Yesterday

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2022 6:53 PM

[quote]Mull of Kintyre

Jesus, with the stupid fucking song. And it’s four fucking minutes long.

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2022 7:19 PM

I loved "Uncle Albert" but was that Paul - or the Beatles in general?

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2022 7:23 PM

This is a Beatles song, idk which one wrote it but I love this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 8, 2022 8:29 PM

Two of us riding nowhere spending someone's hard earned pay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 8, 2022 8:36 PM

Simply having a wonderful Christmas time

by Anonymousreply 18June 8, 2022 8:45 PM

Wings was shit, shit, shit.

Paul's greats are "Yesterday", "Long and Winding Road", "Let it Be", "And I Love Her".

by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2022 8:49 PM

Agree with R2. For me, that is the only one of his only non Beatles song that sounded like he was putting his soul into it. He's just a bit too "pop" for me. His lyrics...they usually make me think of Dana Carvey's McCartney-esque "Chopping Broccoli" skit on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2022 8:55 PM

Another vote for "Maybe I'm Amazed".

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2022 12:50 AM

Maybe I’m amazed wasn’t a single.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2022 12:56 AM

My mother cried all day when Paul McCartney died. Not kidding. His music meant so much to her when she was in her late teens and twenties. We are all deeply emotionally tied to the music we first loved, even if our tastes change and grow over time.

I guess that's why some weirdo on here keeps posting about Madonna. YUK.

RIP Paul McCartney. I do like Blackbird.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2022 1:02 AM

Those Early Days

Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2022 1:13 AM

Your mother be delighted to find out that he isn't dead yet, R23!

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2022 1:14 AM

[quote] The Beatles aren't really relevant anymore.

You're an idiot troll.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2022 1:16 AM

I know MJ is canceled and all, but I really did like their duet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2022 1:16 AM

I never liked anything Paul McCartney did after the Beatles, except the song "Maybe I'm Amazed". I'm surprised that wasn't in the poll.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2022 1:31 AM

His live version of Maybe I'm Amazed is truly great. I always liked Live and Let Die, also. It's got so many musical changes in it and has that dynamic riff. It's the best Bond theme, as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2022 1:32 AM

*Its

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2022 1:34 AM

Hated all those songs

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2022 1:35 AM

McCartney was far and away the most successful Beatle, with nine number one songs in the US. I'm surprised OP left out his first (Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey) and last (Coming Up). His biggest singles were Silly Love Songs (the number one song of that year) and Say, Say, Say (with Michael Jackson).

Is it just me , or do three of his number ones (Listen To What The Man Said, With A Little Luck, Silly Love Songs) sound like the same song?

Strangely, I love the album version of Maybe I'm Amazed, but hate the live version. Conversely, I hate the studio version of Coming Up, but love the live version.

With all Paul's success, it's ironic that George had both the first post-Beatles solo number one (My Sweet Lord) and the last (Got My Mind Set On You).

For those counting, Paul had nine no.1s, George had 3, and Ringo and John had two each.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2022 1:36 AM

Love each of the songs listed on your poll, OP. Paul was the one.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2022 1:38 AM

Of all of them, John's "Imagine" is my favorite. Amazing it was a hit - and this was back when America was even more religious than it is now (if you can believe that's possible)

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2022 2:23 AM

I like most songs on your list, OP, but I voted for "Let 'em in." It reminds me of nights in the basement of the Candle, where I met Big Dicked David, who pursued me somewhat relentlessly for a couple of weeks, but whom I dumped when I met (I Wish He Were) the Love of My Life.

It was one of the best penises ever. Nice Jewish Boy, so no fromageur. But he lived too far uptown (85th/WEA!!! I know; I know), and his living room was lavender. Oh, how I wish I'd stuck with him. We ran into each other a year later, and he gave me the hatefuck of my life, after first making each other cum with blowjobs, so he'd have to fuck me for hours before he came.

I never knew his last name. I wonder if he survived the '80s.

Every time I hear "Let 'em In," I want to let David in.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2022 2:29 AM

No More Lonely Nights

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2022 2:31 AM

To those who say they don't think the Beatles are relevant. That is kind of like saying Bach isn't relevant. One can only imagine what we would be listening without them. They changed the course of music.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2022 2:49 AM

How did they change it? Make rock and roll more like the old music halls? Soften the blues and early rock they copied when there were skiffle band and such, based on the ones who really changed music -- African-American blues singers and the "hot bands"/jazz that developed into rock and roll and r&b in New Orleans in the 1800s.

Much of American and all of British "rock" and even what was called "pop" from the 1950s is derivative of the black innovators.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2022 6:42 AM

R38, Yeah, yeah, yeah. Same old, same old as the Elvis-haters. Everything American in music, art, and history was "stolen" from Black musicians, Black artists, and Black Africa.

One man's "derivative" is another man's "influence." It is what art of any form is all about: evolution.

Should popular music have stopped with Jazz? Or with Little Richard?

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2022 1:51 PM

R37 My friend, Art is a conversation. England had a tradition of parlor music. Many people had pianos and it was very normal for families to get together and have the family play and sing. Kids were taught piano and the post war kids many had piano lessons and even voice lessons. Many just sang and played for the entertainment of family and friends.Often trading the latest tune with the family they learned on Sunday after a family meal. This why England had so many young people who were later to become part of the British invasion. They listened to American music on the radio and combined this with their parlor musical skills. The combination gave rise to the sound of all those influences melding together. Even the African R and b was derived from a combination of ingredients that brought it about.. It's a chain of events thats alive.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2022 7:27 PM

[quote]For those counting, Paul had nine no.1s, George had 3, and Ringo and John had two each.

Yeah, and Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life" was #1 for 10 weeks. What's popular isn't always great and this is a scathingly funny article with more examples...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2022 6:08 AM

R39, Well there IS truth in what R38 said. It's not "Elvis-hating" or Beatles-hating. The music of Black Americans has been HUGELY influential, transformative and revolutionary, and they really aren't given the respect they deserve for that. Much of the "white" music you love wouldn't exist in its present sounding form (I tell this to all my friends who love Led Zeppelin) without the innovative artistry of African-Americans. Listen to the way white people sang Pop tunes before the emergence of Louis Armstrong and Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey, and then listen to them after. Not saying EVERYTHING was taken from Black musical artists but give credit where credit is due in the significant and substantial proportion it merits. I will say that it was the Brits who properly valued what African-Americans created in music, not the stubbornly racist white people of America.

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2022 12:16 AM

Wings 'Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reggae'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2022 12:25 AM

Live and Let Die? You guys are so fucking lazy. Let ‘em in is so perfectly mid 1970s.

Someone's knockin' at the door Somebody's ringin' the bell Someone's knockin' at the door Somebody's ringin' the bell Do me a favor, Open the door and let 'em in Someone's knockin' at the door Somebody's ringin' the bell Someone's knockin' at the door Somebody's ringin' the bell Do me a favor, Open the door and let 'em in Sister Suzie, brother John, Martin Luther, Phil And Don,

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2022 12:33 AM

Pipes of Peace:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2022 12:35 AM

This poll is useless without the options of "Take It Away" and "Coming Up."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2022 12:38 AM

As a child of the 70's I liked his Wings era best

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2022 12:40 AM

Paul McCartney & Wings - Goodnight Tonight (Long Version / Extended 12" Inch Mix)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2022 12:48 AM

I like Paul, but "Let Em In" is one of the stupidest songs ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2022 12:57 AM

Who is Sister Suzie ? I know Phil and Don Everly.

by Anonymousreply 50June 12, 2022 1:00 AM

R50 It’s Linda. I forget why, but he has mentioned someone used to call her Susie or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 51June 12, 2022 1:12 AM

Why isn’t NONE an option?

by Anonymousreply 52June 12, 2022 1:17 AM

I am pretty sure that one was John's work.

"Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" was a Paul song, post-Beatles solo career, and it was a radio hit.

All of the songs in the OP's poll are from Paul's solo post-Beatles work.

by Anonymousreply 53June 12, 2022 1:21 AM

“When I'm Sixty-four”

Send me a postcard

Drop me a line

Stating point of view.

Indicate precisely what you mean to say,

“Yours sincerely, wasting away”…

by Anonymousreply 54June 12, 2022 3:02 AM

Well, Paul is still alive so wouldn't he have more "hits"? I enjoy the Beatles. I don't really like Paul. He's so petty. He wanted his name to appear first in the credits. What kind of insecure asshole does this? Like xxx song written by Lennon and McCartney. He wanted it the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 55June 12, 2022 3:38 AM

I like Piccaso's Last Words (Drink to Me).

by Anonymousreply 56June 12, 2022 3:44 AM

It's difficult to choose one song as a favorite by a genius. I consider She's Leaving Home to be a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 57June 12, 2022 3:52 AM

R55, Well, if it didn't matter, then why not have the credit be McCartney-Lennon half the time?

by Anonymousreply 58June 12, 2022 3:59 AM

no i don't see. he's a cunt. and his voice is gone. if you go see him in concert, it's autotuned.

by Anonymousreply 59June 12, 2022 4:07 AM

R42, I am not arguing "no" influence. I fully understand the debt---and the acknowledgment of same by Keith Richards, Clapton, etc.---British Rock owed to Black American Blues

But it is what one does with the work of one's predecessors that matters. George Martin, e.g., was an innovator. Dylan's electric guitar was a ground-breaker. Glam Rock was original. The California Surf Sound "derivative"?

So anyway, what would you suggest AT THIS POINT IN 2022 be done to give more credit to Black musical sources, hmm? More books, movies, TV shows---what?

by Anonymousreply 60June 12, 2022 4:11 AM

R59. Non-sequitur much?

You are, however, correct in Paul's voice this century: gone, gone, gone. Saw him with Wings back in the day after the day. That sufficed.

by Anonymousreply 61June 12, 2022 3:05 PM

He's 80 years old, why WOULD he still have a voice?

by Anonymousreply 62June 12, 2022 6:02 PM

[quote]He's 80 years old, why WOULD he still have a voice?

Some of us still do, but notice that McCartney isn't on the list...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 12, 2022 6:09 PM

‘Spies Like Us’ is da bomb! and perhaps the sole post breakup song of all the members dogleg.t Mymmmuto capture the wit and essence of the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 64June 12, 2022 6:44 PM

Oops! Perhaps the sole post breakup song of all the members to capture the wit and essence of the Beatles.

… ..

by Anonymousreply 65June 12, 2022 6:49 PM

I saw Macca about three years ago in London, fantastic show, Ringo joined him and it was so memorable.

by Anonymousreply 66June 12, 2022 7:27 PM

I had to vote for Live and Let Die just for the wonderfully inane lyric "In this ever-changing world in which we live in."

by Anonymousreply 67June 12, 2022 7:36 PM

“… in which we're livin”

But I like yours better.

by Anonymousreply 68June 13, 2022 12:09 AM

So many memories, going through these posts...

1. I was more into Paul's solo stuff than the Beatles as a group, so his solo stuff has more meaning to me.

2. I remember wanting so badly to see the video for "Say, Say, Say". Ah, to be a dumb teen again.

3. I remember buying the 12" "disco single" for "Goodnight Tonight", and it's one of my fave PM songs.

4. I remember the first time I heard "Mull of Kintyre" on his first greatest hits album (1978).

Trivia: "Mull of Kintyre" was the biggest-selling song in England until 1984's "Do They Know It's Christmas".

5. As soon as I hear the opening guitar on "Band on the Run", I am INSTANTLY transported back to 1974.

6. As soon as I hear the opening chords of "Listen to What the Man Said", I am INSTANTLY transported back to 1975.

by Anonymousreply 69June 13, 2022 11:25 AM

He sucks ass

by Anonymousreply 70June 13, 2022 11:26 AM

He looks like Angela Lansbury.

And I miss Craig Ferguson dammit! (that was one of his running jokes - that and his "Rather Late Show" made up with enormous ears and crooked teeth to look like Prince Charles.... anybody else remember/ awwww.

by Anonymousreply 71June 13, 2022 11:45 AM

Every night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 13, 2022 3:42 PM

Hi, Hi, Hi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 29, 2022 2:06 PM

I hate all of Paul McCartney’s songs, but especially those from his Wings days.

by Anonymousreply 74December 29, 2022 2:15 PM

It’s always fun to see him trotted out at award shows and given standing ovations—when the current generation is wondering who the hell he is

by Anonymousreply 75December 29, 2022 2:16 PM

R1 = The Fool on the Hill

by Anonymousreply 76December 29, 2022 2:18 PM

A lot of good songs on this thread, but a lot of it is forgettable pop that didn't necessarily age well. To me "Another Day" is one of his best post-Beatle songs, but it kind of highlights how much he needed collaboration with the other Beatles. Lennon would've added some lyrics about how the women was beaten (or something along those lines), verses that gave the song more of an edge than a typical pop ditty. So Paul is not bad, but left on his own, he's rather bland.

by Anonymousreply 77December 29, 2022 2:48 PM

"Granny songs" said John Lennon.

by Anonymousreply 78December 29, 2022 3:33 PM

I’ll take Paul solo over John solo anyway.

Has anyone ever actually sat through Two Virgins or Life With the Lions? Or the live disc on Sometime In NYC?

by Anonymousreply 79December 29, 2022 3:41 PM

^I'm not suggesting that John or George were any better - John's post-Beatle work is largely a self-indulgent mess, but rather how they all needed each other and while Paul is the most successful, he still needed the others to take something good/okay & make it brilliant

by Anonymousreply 80December 29, 2022 3:53 PM

Jet from the Wings era.

More recently, I quite liked New.

by Anonymousreply 81December 29, 2022 4:51 PM

Paul is my favorite musician of all time

by Anonymousreply 82December 31, 2022 10:54 PM

Amazing interview with Paul that is refreshingly honest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 31, 2022 10:55 PM

R16 One of my absolute favorite Beatles songs! It’s hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 84December 31, 2022 11:58 PM

[quote]Paul is my favorite musician of all time

OH BROTHER

by Anonymousreply 85January 1, 2023 12:17 AM

Never understood the Beatles- like- at all-- However, they really inspired many artists that I dig.

That being said- I do love 3 songs-

In terms of McCartney- I love Hey Jude.

In terms of The Beatles- I really love "She's leaving Home"....

And I also respect Happiness Is a Warm Gun (Is that Lennon?)

by Anonymousreply 86January 1, 2023 12:28 AM

Without Lennon, his music was silly garbage

by Anonymousreply 87January 1, 2023 12:42 AM

He's a talentless hack!

by Anonymousreply 88January 1, 2023 12:44 AM

Not a big fan, but I always liked Let Me Roll It.

by Anonymousreply 89January 1, 2023 12:49 AM

Ram is such an under appreciated album

by Anonymousreply 90May 8, 2023 6:02 PM

Eleanor Rigby for me.

by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2023 6:13 PM

My Love

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2023 3:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!