Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Crenna Ruined EVERYTHING He Was In

And they were always trying to make him out like he was handsome or something and he wasn't handsome or anything

And he was too old to be on "Our Miss Brooks" on TV. Radio is fine but not TV.

He was like 26 when he was on "I Love Lucy" and he still ruined that show? It's the only truly awful episode of "I Love Lucy"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2022 12:21 PM

I argue that Lucille Ball ruined EVERYTHING she was in. Loud, pushy, and not remotely funny. Oh, except in that made for TV movie she did about being a homeless woman. She was hysterical in that, but still ruined it as it was meant to be a drama.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2022 12:42 PM

I agree.

Dead behind the eyes. The poor man's Bill Holden. He helped ruin that Julie Andrews' Gertrude Lawrence movie. His appearance told me that Robert Wise must have had no taste and that SOM must have been a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2022 12:44 PM

I strongly disagree. In his early years he was hot as blazes. I grew up on "The Real McCoys", a show many of you will have never even heard of. He was so gorgeous. Tall, hairy chested, beautiful head of hair, and face so handsome, my young loins burned for him back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2022 12:51 PM

He was in some tv movie around 1985 where he gets fucked up the ass by some criminals and the doctor in the hospital is Meredith Baxter Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2022 12:54 PM

He didn't look Italian at all.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2022 12:55 PM

He could never be as horrible as Mrs Dani Levy.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2022 12:56 PM

R4... and JUST FOR THAT he should be remembered... I know, i know it was (that scene) supposed to be so wrong and horrible, but I have to admit it was a turn on to watch because it wasn't real of course, and to see his acting/facial expressions....

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2022 12:58 PM

The Rape of Richard Beck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2022 1:01 PM

[quote] He was like 26 when he was on "I Love Lucy" and he still ruined that show?

I don’t know, did he?

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2022 1:05 PM

OP = George Segal

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2022 1:08 PM

"How a horny husband named Dick became a pussy-bottom named Richard: 'DEADLY JUSTICE.'"

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2022 1:10 PM

Crenna was okay as Luke in The Real McCoys.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2022 1:10 PM

OMG now we have an anti-Richard Crenna loon on DL.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2022 1:15 PM

R10 I always mixed those two up as well!

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2022 1:16 PM

#1 in that preview clip, notice the rainblow flag behind that knife wielding bad guy?

#2: in that about to occur rape, the guy doing all the talking was nicely beefy (and horny!) so at least he got impregnated by a beefy alpha, not some ugly dirty druggie... Hmm, interesting how he says he is going to let the other guy go first! Does he not know that he will then be screwing a hole with has a load in it already? Must have been willingly into "sloppy seconds"!..

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2022 1:24 PM

Recently I had to watch and research "The Rape of Richard Beck" for a project. There's a nice short interview with Crenna about it here in which he discusses the filming of the scene and says that having a female director was helpful. He wore boxers that said "Please Be Kind" on his ass to break the ice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2022 1:24 PM

At one time he was considered for the role of Darrin on “Bewitched”. I honestly can’t imagine how that would have gone.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2022 1:32 PM

Isn’t he in the last half hour of STAR! which is a lengthy 2.5-3 hours? If anyone ruined that movie it was Julie. Daniel Massey was the only good thing in it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2022 1:40 PM

He did not RUIN Rambo!! ....... or Rambo: First Blood.......or Rambo: First Blood Part Two....

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2022 1:41 PM

I have no memory of him and Bernadette Peters in this flop...... Crenna was cast a lot for 40 plus years....... people in the industry must have liked him..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2022 1:49 PM

He was okay in Wait Until Dark

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2022 1:51 PM

He was good in “Body Heat”.

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2022 1:54 PM

I thought he was a good actor and also hunky, so I may be an outlier.

Loved him in “It Takes Two” with DL fave Patty Duke. Also starred Joel Brooks, Anthony Edwards, Della Reese, and Helen Hunt. The kitchen on the set of “It Takes Two” was later used as the kitchen on the set of “The Golden Girls”.

He also did a wonderful turn on “Judging Amy” as the rich boyfriend of Tyne Daly’s character. They played against each other wonderfully. He died mid-season and they had to rewrite a number of episodes to accommodate his sickness and then the episode where they were to be married.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2022 1:58 PM

kind of hunky in "Body Heat."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2022 2:00 PM

According to Patty Duke, Crenna was a HARD-right Conservatives. Even more Conservatives than Ronald Reagan!

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2022 2:03 PM

He was FANTASTIC in Devil Dog: The Hound of Hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2022 2:15 PM

R25 he does give off that vibe

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2022 2:18 PM

Crenna was great in the 90s alien abduction miniseries Intruders.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2022 2:53 PM

[quote] kind of hunky in "Body Heat."

There's nothing chunky about that body. That's a real man's body.

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2022 4:00 PM

Crenna was well-liked by fellow actors, including those like Patty Duke or Kathleen Nolan, who did not share his politics. His name comes up in the TV Academy reviews more than once in a positive light. He was not someone who could carry an A-list picture but you could say the same thing about ex-movie stars who did well in television. He was good in dramas and sit-coms. He was supposed to be goofy on "Our Miss Brooks" and he managed to not embarrass himself on "The Real McCoys" which was a sort of proto-"Beverly Hillbillies".

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2022 4:57 PM

He's no Monte Markham.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2022 5:09 PM

[quote] kind of hunky in "Body Heat."

[quote] There's nothing chunky about that body. That's a real man's body.

Ooops, R24 I just realized I read your post completely wrong and you said "hunky", not "chunky". My apologies for my pathetic eyesight. And I agree with you, he was hunky.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2022 5:10 PM

Monte Markham played a homo on "The Golden Girls". He was Blanche's brother who came out as gay on the show.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2022 5:12 PM

Tyne Daly, who's very liberal, also had wonderful things to say about him.

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2022 5:14 PM

It's nice to know that your concerns in life are so minor, OP.

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2022 5:16 PM

He was hilarious as Buck in Raised to be Rotten on The Carol Burnett Show.

by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2022 5:30 PM

NO. I don't want to hear this TRASH about Richard Crenna. He was talented, sexy, and did a lot of good stuff, starting with "The Real McCoys," when I NOTICED him. So shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 37June 1, 2022 6:25 PM

You tell 'em R37! You were raised right!

by Anonymousreply 38June 1, 2022 6:27 PM

It looks like his son was dating… OLEEBIA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 1, 2022 6:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 1, 2022 6:35 PM

Hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 1, 2022 6:36 PM

I liked him and I thought his episode of "I Love Lucy" was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 42June 1, 2022 6:38 PM

The OP was obviously not raised right.

by Anonymousreply 43June 1, 2022 8:26 PM

I get him George Segal and Ron Leibman all confused. I wonder if Ron died of covid. Pneumonia in Dec of 2019. Jessica I supposed died of a broken heart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 1, 2022 10:19 PM

"What a nasty, bitter cunt!"

by Anonymousreply 45June 1, 2022 10:23 PM

R31- Monte Markham appeared on an early episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show- ca. 1971. He was really good looking at that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 1, 2022 11:21 PM

Who did he play on I Love Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2022 9:36 AM

JACK: Maybe something with an umbrella. [TO THE WAITRESS] Excuse me, miss. Yeah, we're ready to order over here. What's good?

WAITRESS: What's good? Me in Hawaii with Richard Crenna.

ROSARIO: I heard that, sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 7, 2022 10:15 AM

r47

He played a teen ager (heaven to Stockard Channing) in love with Lucy

by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2022 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!