Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hee Haw or Lawrence Welk?

Back in the day on Saturday nights at 7 pm, many families either watched the Lawrence Welk Show or Hee Haw. Which show did your parents and you watch? We were a Lawrence Welk household. As a young gayling, I always thought that the Lawrence Welk families were from more well-to-do households.

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2022 1:08 AM

Both, unfortunately. Excruciatingly boring for a kid. I imagine they might have some camp appeal now

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2022 1:29 AM

Definitely a Welk family. I especially remember Jo Ann Castle (honky-tonk piano), Norma Zimmer (Champagne Lady) , Myron Floren (accordian) , Bobby and Barbara (dancer), Bob Ralston (gay piano player), Neil LeVang (hot guitarist), Joe Feeney (Irish tenor) and Arthur Duncan (token black).

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2022 1:31 AM

Neither.

We were finishing dinner, cleaning up. If we watched anything it was sports-related. I can remember PBS had oddball shows like "Meeting of Minds."

Grew up in NYC. See Haw was country. I love country music now, but back then...??

And as for Lawrence Welk...only old ladies watched it.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2022 1:33 AM

At least the Carol Burnett Show came on later to salvage a Saturday evening.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2022 1:34 AM

Hee Haw. Unless The Maharelle Sisters were on Welk that week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2022 1:37 AM

I had a great aunt and great uncle who were Lawrence Welk superfans. They watched his stupid show religiously and even visited this resort he had in California. I have no idea if it's still there. This was the 80s when his show was syndicated and I think it was run several times a week. If you were over at their house when the Lawrence Welk Show came on you would have to follow them into the living room and watch it with them. As a child of the 80s I remember thinking the show was prehistoric, it was SO lame and old fashioned.

My great aunt and great uncle would say "this is REAL music" while they watched the show, i.e. none of that rock and roll shit and NO BLACKS.

They're both long dead now and my family and I still snark about them.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2022 1:38 AM

When you say “Family”, I read that as parents. We had only one TV for what seemed like forever and viewing choice was not normally a democracy. Finally, my brother and I were allowed a small portable in our bedroom. Oh, the answer is Welk. He puts on a “fine show” was the parental unit explanation though I think even they thought it pretty corny and dated, even then.

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2022 1:41 AM

If we watched anything it was HeeHaw. My family is Southern and we thought it was a hoot. I still do a little.

My family found Welk fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2022 1:46 AM

Gloom, despair and agony on me.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2022 1:47 AM

My family lived in Philadelphia until the late summer of 1976. As the OP said, Saturday nights at 7 pm, your choices were mainly Lawrence Welk or Hee Haw. There were four channels back then (five as we moved into the mid 70s), but still the main choices were Welk and Hee Haw. (The other channels offered programs that were even less interesting, if that's possible!) We usually had Hee Haw on, but just as background noise. Nobody really liked it and nobody paid attention to it. But we hated Lawrence Welk.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2022 1:48 AM

I was shamed at work just the other day for coming from a LW family and not HH.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2022 1:51 AM

I didn't realize they ran against each other. I have such a distinct memory of my parents watching both shows , and me being equally bored and annoyed with them.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2022 1:52 AM

I searched the world over and thought I found true love

You met another and pfft you was gone

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2022 1:52 AM

It's crazy to think how limited entertainment choices were back then. You had three or four tv channels and that was it. Not 500 channels and the internet like now.

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2022 1:53 AM

It was Welk. It was for my grandmother. It was the only thing she really wanted to watch all week. Later, my father would watch The Love Boat IIRC. The Two Titans of Terrible Television.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2022 1:54 AM

Now, strangely enough, I find Lawrence Welk reruns sort of charming. I can't watch an entire episode of it, but I will watch for a few minutes until the charm wears off. However, I can watch this clip from Lawrence Welk repeatedly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2022 1:54 AM

My parents always watched Welk but luckily, I had a TV in my room, so I avoided it, but being pre-cable, there were few choices.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2022 1:56 AM

My most vivid memory of LW was when Arthur Duncan had just finished his tap dance routine. Welk was applauding from the sidelines and said "Arthur Duncan - a wonderful dancer and a credit to his race".

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2022 1:57 AM

I’m black. We didn’t watch this shit.

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2022 1:58 AM

What DID you watch, R18. If you were from this era, there was nothing else to watch.

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2022 2:03 AM

Rerun of ‘The Lucy Show’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2022 2:03 AM

Sorry, I meant to direct that toward R19.

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2022 2:04 AM

"I’m black. We didn’t watch this shit."

What DID you watch between 7 and 8 on Saturday evenings, then?

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2022 2:06 AM

They were at work!

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2022 2:09 AM

Playing Dominos

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2022 2:18 AM

Raising your old white ass, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2022 2:19 AM

^ please, most servants were home before 7pm.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2022 2:20 AM

They were watching the radio.

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2022 2:24 AM

They were out on the front porch drinking and being loud as hell.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2022 2:25 AM

"Marcy, Mr Stevens will drive you home at 4."

"Yes Mam".

This is the conversation. I'm eldergay enough to remember it. Segregation was still in place when I was a boy.

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2022 2:29 AM

Saturdays were also American Bandstand and Soul Train (but earlier).

In some places where I lived, I think HH came on at 6 pm.

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2022 2:29 AM

Washington Week followed by Agronsky & Company

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2022 2:32 AM

If we did, it was Welk. Then in 1976 the Muppet Show started opposite them and we started watching that instead. My folks weren’t big Welk fans, but we were NOT watching Hee Haw.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2022 2:33 AM

And capped off by Solid Gold?

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2022 2:35 AM

R19 here. My parents liked Sanford and son and All in the Family. I loved Good Times, soul train, and the love boat (I thought that I was seeing a glimpse at how the rich lived) LOL.

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2022 2:43 AM

If we went to my grandparents’ farm on the weekend, it was Hee Haw. At home, we watched the Muppets. I don’t think I have ever seen a single episode of Lawrence Welk.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2022 2:52 AM

I love both of them. I've been in the closet about that for a long time, but it's true. I let my freak flag fly upon my love of Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk once in a blue moon, but when I do, I get down.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2022 2:56 AM

[quote]They were at work!

Stealing hubcaps, selling weed and pimping.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2022 3:03 AM

I grew up in the South so it was Hee Haw. As I recall it had some funny moments. And all the big country music stars went on the show to sing their latest hit.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2022 3:04 AM

I grew up in the Northeast and nobody would've been caught dead watching Hee Haw.

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2022 3:05 AM

Oh my god, I remember we would visit my mom's aunt's house for dinner on Saturday nights and after dinner, when the adults sat around the dinner table drinking and playing cards, for me and my sister, in the living room in front of the huge wooden console TV, trapped with nothing else to do, these two shows were the only options. I had totally forgotten about this!

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2022 3:11 AM

OP- Well to do ( Upper Middle Class) households wouldn't be caught watching that HILLBILLY show or that treacly music show they would watch PBS.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2022 3:27 AM

Oh, Ruck you, r42. The blue collar side of my family had way more money and were way more tony in there own weird way than the white collar side. I grew-up watching both.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2022 3:30 AM

their, not there. I'll oh dear myself.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2022 3:33 AM

My memories of Hee Haw: Minnie Pearl and her hat, Roy Clark singing the (surprisingly nice) "Yesterday When I Was Young", one of the cast being murdered (Grandpa? Stringbean? I can't remember) and the Hager Brothers (who died close in time, I seem to recall).

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2022 3:36 AM

Thank God & Greyhound, She’s Gone.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2022 4:09 AM

My mom aspired to Lawrence Welk but she never made it through a show, wandering off (at which point I changed the channel).

My parents never missed Hee Haw.

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2022 4:11 AM

"for me and my sister, in the living room in front of the huge wooden console TV, trapped with nothing else to do, these two shows were the only options. I had totally forgotten about this!"

I told you! Nobody could make this shit up!

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2022 4:54 AM

Don't be annoyed, R43. R42 is posting from his parents' basement in a "tony" Baltimore suburb.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2022 4:58 AM

I remember watching one of these shows and they broke in with a news alert that Salo director Pasolini had been murdered. I didn't know who he was at the time, of course, I was a pre-teen. But I remember it still because a) the murder seemed so horrific, and b) the station thought it was important enough to break into the show!

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2022 5:03 AM

Hee Haw.

Originally Welk was on ABC and Hee Haw was on CBS. Both shows were cancelled from their respective networks in the same year, 1971, as network executives like CBS's Fred Silverman purged networks of their older and more rural-skewing shows.

Each show then went into syndication, Welk until 1982 and Hee Haw until 1993.

They saw themselves as victims of executives trying to make their lineups more sophisticated, which was true, but those changes brought shows like All In the Family, Maude, Mash, Mary Tyler Moore.

Hee Haw's Roy Clark wrote this song about it. The enemies? Hippies and executives!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2022 6:05 AM

In the family room, on the big TV, Mom and Dad preferred Hee Haw. However, my grandmother had a 13 inch TV in her room and watched Lawrence Welk religiously. Grandma's other favorite shows were The Waltons, featuring "John-John", and the Korean War comedy S*M*A*S*H. And of course, her "stories" every weekday.

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2022 6:15 AM

R52 I didn't know JFK Jr. was on The Waltons.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2022 7:08 AM

I remember watching both Hee Haw and The Lawrence Welk Show and somehow going to 7PM mass on Saturday night. Not sure how we crammed three hours of activity into one hour.

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2022 7:53 AM

Buck Rogers

by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2022 9:40 AM

R54: “ But as Hee Haw was syndicated and not restrained by the scheduling of a network, stations could schedule the program at any day or time that they saw fit.”

It’s possible your area showed HH and LW at different times.

by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2022 10:58 AM

Hee Haw was so bad. It was the Country version of Laugh-In which was pretty bad itself. Other than its very popular catch phrases, Laugh In had few laughs.

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2022 11:01 AM

Yes, R45, that was Stringbean and wife who were murdered in a robbery.

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2022 11:05 AM

Used to laugh my ass off and rewind just to hear “Starring in alphabetical order: Yodeling Zeke, Butterball Jackson…”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2022 11:31 AM

Hee Haw all the way. I bought a DVD set years ago (at WalMart LOL) and every once in a while pull out a disc and watch a random episode. I’m amazed how all the reoccurring bits, players, sets and songs are ingrained into my subconscious.

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2022 1:31 PM

[quote]Hee Haw or Lawrence Welk?

Usually frantic masturbation in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2022 1:35 PM

Lawrence Welk always seemed piss-elegant to me, but harmless fun. Although honestly I have never watched an episode.

Hee Haw, which I did watch as a child with my parents, had genuine humor even if it didn’t always land. They were country musicians and performers who embraced the stereotype and portrayed themselves as backwater hicks, for laughs.

by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2022 1:36 PM

No HEE HAW thread on DataLounge is complete without mention of the Hager twins!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2022 1:38 PM

Anna now-a, ladiss an gennelmen, we're gonna play that great Duke Ellington a-stannard, "Take a Train."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2022 2:07 PM

I have no recollection. Like someone else said we were likely having dinner or finishing up, and wouldn't be watching television. I do agree with whoever said "Lawrence Welk" was for the blue-haired old biddies, but we never watched "Hee Haw" either. In fact, my best friend's parents would watch "Hee Haw" and we privately made fun of them for being trash. I grew up in a large Southern city during that time.

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2022 2:21 PM

Am I nuts?

Why do I remember watching 'Lawrence Welk' on Sunday nights at my grandparent's home? And immediately after 'Lawrence Welk' was 'The Wonderful World of Disney.' Disney was a big deal then because it was in COLOR!

And the only reason I would ever watch Welk was because I was at my grandparent's and that was Sunday nights, not Saturday nights.

Weren't those shows on Sunday nights?

For what it's worth - if it would matter when they were broadcast - I'm in my 60s. And, it was in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2022 2:25 PM

R66 - I'm pretty sure both those shows were syndicated at the time, meaning they could have aired at any time on any day that the local station chose to air them.

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2022 2:27 PM

I was a young gayling who bloomed when I saw Guy Hovis on 'Lawrence Welk'. My other crush at the time was Jethro on 'Beverly Hillbillies. Even very young, I had a certain type I liked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2022 2:33 PM

Alice Lon, the original Champagne Lady, fired for "showing too much knee." She was much cooler than the corny, churchy, uptight Norma Zimmer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 30, 2022 2:33 PM

Neither. Each Saturday evening we dined out. Darn!

by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2022 2:33 PM

Guy Hovis looks like a slightly handsomer version of Bert Convy. Although that sure does look like a $5 wig on his head.

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2022 2:38 PM

Welk was camp then when I didn't even know what that meant. But "Hee Haw" was the shit!

"I searched the world over, and I thought I’d found true love, You met another, and PFFT! You was gone!”

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2022 2:44 PM

R67

Thank you. Sanity restored.

by Anonymousreply 73May 30, 2022 2:46 PM

WE'RE GON' PLAY NOW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 30, 2022 2:50 PM

We only saw these when visiting my grandparents. Grandma liked Lawrence Welk and grandpa liked Hee Haw, which he called the Grand Ole Opry. He called every country music show the Grand Ole Opry though. I preferred Hee Haw hands down because at least it could be funny. The Porter Waggoner Show was also on on the weekends. I was fascinated by Porter’s hair and rhinestone suits and a young Dolly Parton with the big bosoms, of course. Anyone remember Hee Haw Hunnies? That was a tits and ass spin-off from the main show.

I can’t believe PBS still runs Lawrence Welk reruns, given that the audience for that show was already elderly in 1970 there can’t be any of them left.

by Anonymousreply 75May 30, 2022 2:53 PM

Wasn't alive in the 70s, but from what little I've seen of each, Lawrence Welk seems much more tolerable than Hee Haw.

by Anonymousreply 76May 30, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote] I can’t believe PBS still runs Lawrence Welk reruns, given that the audience for that show was already elderly in 1970 there can’t be any of them left.

r75 Oh honey, there is a whole new generation that is enjoying this show, along with us Eldergays who remember the original and have lasting memories of a simpler time.

by Anonymousreply 77May 30, 2022 3:26 PM

{quote] My memories of Hee Haw: Minnie Pearl and her hat, Roy Clark singing the (surprisingly nice) "Yesterday When I Was Young", one of the cast being murdered (Grandpa? Stringbean? I can't remember) and the Hager Brothers (who died close in time, I seem to recall).

The comedian Stringbean was the one who got murdered. It was rumored that he kept large sums of money in his house because of a Depression-era mistrust of banks. Two thugs broke in and killed him and his wife. It was very sad. Stringbean was NOT a wealthy man; he and his wife lived frugally, in a small cabin. Their only indulgences were a Cadillac and a color tv. The murderers were caught and sent to jail. One died in prison. The other was paroled after serving serving 41 years of a 198-year sentence. RIP, Stringbean.

by Anonymousreply 78May 30, 2022 10:57 PM

Both awful, but "Lawrence Welk" has camp value, and "Hee Haw" does not! So Welk wins, unintentionally.

Both shows were on when I was a kid, and I sort of like "Hee Haw" when I was age 5-8, it was cheerful enough and it wasn't sports. But almost every Saturday, my parents used to drag me to my Grandmother's for dinner and to sit quietly while Lawrence Welk was on, because my grandmother really thought that hour of tasteless cheese was "classy"! It took me decades to appreciate the entertainment value of that monstrosity of a show, the completely unintentional entertainment...

by Anonymousreply 79May 30, 2022 11:59 PM

My grandma used to watch Welk I think. It was bland n boring. Hee haw was stupid and annoying

by Anonymousreply 80May 31, 2022 12:01 AM

"Both awful, but "Lawrence Welk" has camp value, and "Hee Haw" does not!"

HH was intentionally camp, which reduces its camp value.

LW was earnest, which gives it camp value. Especially when LW accidentally featured "One Toke Over the Line" which aggressively promoted marijuana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 31, 2022 11:13 AM

Our family watched no TV on Saturday night but we DID watch The Judy Garland Show the following night!

by Anonymousreply 82May 31, 2022 11:26 AM

Looking at Lawrence Welk now it seems like something from another planet. It’s so different from today.

by Anonymousreply 83May 31, 2022 1:26 PM

They didn't come on at the same time in our area, in the late 1980s. Welk came on PBS at 8:00 and Hee Haw came on our local NBC affiliate at 7:00. We only watched Welk if the NBC primetime comedies were in reruns, because by that point Welk was all reruns.

by Anonymousreply 84May 31, 2022 2:08 PM

[quote]Looking at Lawrence Welk now it seems like something from another planet. It’s so different from today.

It was safe, wholesome old-fashioned entertainment for older people who were fucking terrified over the huge social and cultural changes that were happening in the late 60s and early 70s. The Lawrence Welk Show was like a refuge for them.

by Anonymousreply 85May 31, 2022 2:12 PM

^^^ Kinda like what's happening today.

by Anonymousreply 86May 31, 2022 2:27 PM

My parents didn't like either of them but watched both a few times. One time when Arthur Duncan came on doing his robotic tap dancing my dad said "Welk manages to find the one mediocre Negro tap dancer. Typical."

I liked Hee Haw even though it made me nervous at times because the people were so dumb. As a kid I thought they were that way in real life. Roy Clark was my favorite because he usually had a solo number where he was serious and played the guitar beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 87May 31, 2022 2:35 PM

At the end of the show, Mr Welk would dance with a few ladies in the audience. One time it was my aunt, the lucky girl.

by Anonymousreply 88May 31, 2022 2:44 PM

[quote] I liked Hee Haw even though it made me nervous at times because the people were so dumb. As a kid I thought they were that way in real life.

You may be surprised. Those folks are probably the grandparents of the MAGA movement.

by Anonymousreply 89May 31, 2022 3:06 PM

As a kid I watched Hee Haw, but only because I had a gayling crush on Buck Owens.

Many years later I was floored to read (on Datalounge?) that Buck had a long-term affair with Don Rich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 31, 2022 5:36 PM

Even though the Lawrence Welk Show is corny and dated by today's standards, it is also a repository of the American songbook, preserving performances of many great songs that are little-heard nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 91May 31, 2022 5:39 PM

[italic]Hee-Haw[/italic] also didn't have the complex multitalents of Miss Jo Ann Castle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 31, 2022 8:53 PM

When I was a little kid, I sang this over and over to my parents’ annoyance. They thought the show was too stupid for words and never watched it, but somehow I saw bits of it. Talk about having a garbage pail brain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 31, 2022 9:31 PM

My parents loved Lawrence Welk and would have cut their own throats rather than watch Hee Haw, and we're from the south. I didn't hate LW, and would watch at times. But now that I'm an old geezer I get a comforting feeling when I see the show. I wish one of the oldies channels would bring it back.

My grandparents also loved LW. Many times after the show was over the phone would ring and it would be my grandmother talking to my mother about how beautiful the costumes were. Such innocent times.

by Anonymousreply 94May 31, 2022 9:36 PM

Get Smart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 31, 2022 9:41 PM

Neither!

by Anonymousreply 96May 31, 2022 9:44 PM

No evening with Lawrence Welk was complete without the song stylings of cookie smeller Tom Netherton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 31, 2022 9:56 PM

I am shocked to find that Tom Netherton is dead. Died in 2018 from, ahem, pneumonia, at the age of 70.

by Anonymousreply 98May 31, 2022 10:05 PM

If people knew what was going on behind the scenes at the Lawrence Welk show they'd be shocked. I myself often performed fellatio on Bob Ralston in my dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 99May 31, 2022 10:07 PM

Bitch please! Those 3 whore Lennon Sisters and I had regular orgies with most of the orchestra. I loved it when Myron Floren took me from behind while everyone stood around and watched. He could reach places in my body no other man ever has.

by Anonymousreply 100May 31, 2022 10:10 PM

R94

Check your local PBS stations for LW

by Anonymousreply 101May 31, 2022 10:14 PM

They're not currently playing on my PBS stations R101. I've checked repeatedly. YouTube is about the only place I've been able to find them.

by Anonymousreply 102May 31, 2022 10:39 PM

This could have been a thread about old school shows only broadcast on Saturdays. Benny Hill, Are You Being Served ....

by Anonymousreply 103May 31, 2022 11:56 PM

R103 Yes, especially once Saturdays stopped being programmed by the networks, PBS Britcoms were a life saver as an only child out in the sticks with no cable. Are You Being Served is a classic, along with Allo, Allo, Keeping Up Appearances, As Time Goes By, Last of the Summer Wine, the Vicar of Dibley, Blackadder, Mr. Bean, etc...

by Anonymousreply 104June 1, 2022 12:22 AM

Although country music is not to everyone's taste, Hee Haw featured the country music greats singing their songs: Among their guests were: Loretta Lynn, Charley Pride, Waylon Jennings, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Jerry Lee Lewis, Merle Haggard, Sonny James, Dolly Parton, Dottie West, Lynn Anderson, Faron Young, Linda Ronstadt, Ray Charles, Bobby Bare, Sammy Smith, Mel Tillis, Ray Price, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Tom T. Hall, Porter Wagoner, Brenda Lee, Don Gibson, Jerry Reed, Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, Johnny Cash, Ronnie Milsap, Chet Atkins, The Oak Ridge Boys, Ray Stevens, Conway Twitty, Crystal Gayle, Ernest Tubb, Bill Anderson, Mickey Gilley, Freddie Fender, The Statler Brothers, Barbara Mandrell, Hoyt Axton. Lots of talent there. Elvis Presley wanted to do an episode of Hee Haw! But of course Colonel Parker would never have allowed him to go on such a lowbrow show, no matter that the movies he made him star in were lowbrow of the highest order.

Yes, Hee Haw featured talented guests singing good country music. What talent or good music was there on the Lawrence Welk show? I don't seem to recall any.

by Anonymousreply 105June 1, 2022 1:06 AM

Neither-

by Anonymousreply 106June 1, 2022 1:31 AM

The band on the Welk show always performed the most watered down, milquetoast version of whatever song they were playing. It was almost as if Lawrence Welk had told them to not inject once ounce of soul or emotion into their playing. Just awful, awful stuff.

At least a lot of the musicians on Hee Haw could let loose when they wanted to, even as cornpone as a lot of it was.

by Anonymousreply 107June 1, 2022 2:32 AM

Welk's music was fine for what it was, dinner music. Lawrence Welk records are perfect for light background music that is neither overwhelming nor overpowering. Think dinner or cocktail parties. Hee Haw was after they'd had a lot of cocktails, and then Austin City Limits and Saturday Night Live was for their teens to watch stoned while drinking what was left behind by their parents.

by Anonymousreply 108June 1, 2022 2:37 AM

R100, sorry, there were FOUR Lennon Sisters. I remember as a kid seeing my mom buy those scandal magazines, and the Lennons were constantly on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 109June 1, 2022 2:43 AM

Trivial tidbit: The father of the Lennon sisters (part of a total of 11 children- what the everloving fuck? - this was Los Angeles not an Oklahoma farm) was shot dead on a golf course in Marina del Rey by one of the sisters’ stalkers the same week as the Sharon Tate murders.

by Anonymousreply 110June 1, 2022 11:55 PM

The Lennon Sisters swing it to "Georgy Girl" while standing behind some fake plants because some of them are in the family way. Mr. Welk thought it was unseemly to show visibly pregnant women on TV, so he made them stand behind props or wear diaphanous caftans and ridiculous costumes (like Jo Ann Castle's Easter-bunny getup at R92).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 3, 2022 1:21 PM

[quote] sorry, there were FOUR Lennon Sisters.

Were they older or younger than brother John?

by Anonymousreply 112June 3, 2022 2:05 PM

"Say good night, Welk"

That was the signal from my father that the show was over and it was time for my brother and me to go to bed. I had a crush on Guy (of Guy and Ralna).

by Anonymousreply 113June 3, 2022 3:04 PM

A one and a two and a....

by Anonymousreply 114June 3, 2022 4:08 PM

Jo Ann Castle deserved an Emmy for her facial expressions alone. I'd love to see a YouTube clip that's just a close up of her face from those performances, and then have people try to guess what the hell she's doing.

by Anonymousreply 115June 3, 2022 6:25 PM

The good stuff didn't come on until prime time. The Jeffersons, MTM, Bob Newhart

Didn't AITF play on Saturday nights for a while? I also liked a sitcom called "Doc" with Barnard Hughes.

by Anonymousreply 116June 4, 2022 1:48 AM

Tow of the funniest people on Hee Haw were Canadians Don Harron (KORN newsman Charlie Farquarson) and Gordie Tapp.

by Anonymousreply 117June 4, 2022 2:38 AM

WTF is AITF?

by Anonymousreply 118June 4, 2022 1:42 PM

All in the Family

by Anonymousreply 119June 4, 2022 1:51 PM

Oh. Thanks. I used to watch that and Maude in their original runs when I was little kid. I also did get hooked on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman later on as a tween in syndication. Never really liked the other Norman Lear shows though (Jeffersons, One Day, Good Times, Sanford, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 120June 4, 2022 1:56 PM

Hee Haw was for hicks. Lawrence Welk was for geriatrics. Both were revolting.

by Anonymousreply 121June 5, 2022 12:34 AM

I still watch LW on PBS every Saturday at 7pm. The blinding pastel outfits, the corny sets and so much hairspray, I can almost smell it through the TV.

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2022 1:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!