Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Texas school shooting suspect's grandfather speaks out

The grandfather of the accused gunman in Tuesday's deadly shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, said he did not know that his grandson had recently purchased two AR-15-style rifles.

"I don't like weapons. I cannot be around weapons," Rolando Reyes, 72, told ABC News' Matt Gutman. "I hate when I see all the news, all those people that get shot."

Reyes also said he has a criminal background and cannot have a weapon in the home. He would have reported the weapons to authorities had he known about them, Reyes added.

The suspect, Salvador Ramos, turned 18 on May 16 and purchased the rifles on May 17 and May 20, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Ramos is accused of shooting his grandmother at their home in Uvalde before driving his grandparents' car to Robb Elementary School and opening fire, killing 19 students and two teachers. Ramos was shot and killed by law enforcement, authorities said. His grandmother is hospitalized in critical condition.

Reyes said he learned from a neighbor that his wife had been shot and that his grandson "had taken off."

"It still hasn't sunk in yet," he said.

The suspect had been staying with his grandparents for the past few months after having a falling out with his mother, Reyes said.

Reyes said there were no signs the morning of the shooting that anything unusual was going to happen. The suspect had a minor argument with his grandmother over the payment of a phone bill but nothing significant, Reyes said.

Reyes described his grandson as very quiet. Ramos did not go to school this past year, according to Reyes, who said he would take his grandson to work with him sometimes.

Classmates at Uvalde High School told ABC News that Ramos rarely attended school and recently had been exhibiting unusual behavior, such as threatening classmates and claiming to have cut scars into his face.

His grandson did not know how to drive and did not have a driver's license, said Reyes, who said he was unsure how Ramos had purchased the weapons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2022 1:37 AM

I can't imagine the pain and shame from having a family member you love, do something like this.

Especially if it's a child or grand child.

This poor man. He's actually anti-gun.

But you can't choose your family, or how they will turn out.

His heart must be breaking.

Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2022 10:43 PM

And his wife is in the hospital after their grandson shot her.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2022 10:59 PM

In the face, R2. Shot her in the face.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2022 11:08 PM

[quote] Shot her in the face.

That's a whole other level of anger.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2022 11:10 PM

Also video games play a role in this too. Many of these young adults and adult teens spend countless hours playing COD all day. The games graphics have become extremely realistic. I'm not a gamer but many of my friends are and I played last week and I remember feeling weird after having not played video games since GTA back in like 2014.

These kids are becoming desensitized to violence.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2022 11:16 PM

R5 coupled that and their easy access to guns and you have a huge violence problem. He was collecting guns like it is cupcakes and posting it on social media.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2022 11:24 PM

Can't legally buy alcohol, can't rent a car, but can buy an AR - even if he had mental illness, it was ALLOWED.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2022 11:31 PM

Are you fucking kidding!?! He is their responsibility!!! This is THEIR FAULT!!! They should have either helped him or stopped him! He was cutting scars into his face!

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CHILDREN UNDER YOUR CARE! Fuck you people, this isn't the gun or society or the video game. ITS THE FAMILY.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2022 11:32 PM

R7, I know. That shit crazy. I love this country but that shit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2022 11:33 PM

They taught him he could hurt people without consequences.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2022 11:33 PM

[quote] Are you fucking kidding!?! He is their responsibility!!! This is THEIR FAULT!!! They should have either helped him or stopped him! He was cutting scars into his face!

They're his grandparents.

As someone who has seen (first hand) grandparents raise their grand children due to absentee parents, I have to say that I feel sorry for these people.

They already raised their kids. They're elderly. They can barely relate to an 18 year old in today's society.

These grandparents are merely taking on a responsibility that was handed to them by a parent who doesn't give a shit.

They did the best they could, given the circumstances.

You fuckers really have no idea what it's like in the real world.

All I hear from this place is judgment. Lets hope when you die, you are given the same treatment.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2022 11:35 PM

I agree, it's these messy, unstable families.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote] Also video games play a role in this too. Many of these young adults and adult teens spend countless hours playing COD all day.

This has been debunked. This is an NRA talking point.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2022 11:39 PM

I agree, R11. I'm not going to blame a 72yo man for the fucked up 18yo grandson.

You know why he shot his grandmother? She argued with him about the cellphone bill. Countless parents across the world have that same argument with their teens - they don't get shot in the face. This kid had a lot of anger within him that wasn't put their by his grandparents. And the fact is that there really is nothing they could've done because the authorities never do shit until something actually happens.

And only a fucking moron uses the "video games" excuse at this point, considering the millions upon millions upon millions of gamers all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2022 11:41 PM

Are you fucking crazy?! Grandparents or no- he's in their house!!!

I just can't anymore. You people are bullshitters. You are liars with a political agenda who would rather see kids die than fix anything.

You are actually banal evil.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2022 11:44 PM

R15, Listen you dumb fkin troll. How can you not understand what people are saying here. You probably do and are just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2022 11:46 PM

[quote] Fuck you people, this isn't the gun or society or the video game.

Fuck you, Pittsboig foot-face.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2022 11:48 PM

Political agenda? Motherfucker, I'm telling you how the really world works. WTF did you expect these old people to do??? You think the cops would've come to arrest him based on him being an angry teen?

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2022 11:48 PM

So the shooting was inevitable?

You are insane.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2022 11:49 PM

Wonder what Gramps' "criminal background" is about? I know, I know – we can all get into a jam, just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2022 11:50 PM

R19, when a god damned 18yo can buy a fucking AR, YES, it was inevitable. And BTW, shit-for-brains, I guess you didn't notice that "mental illness" is no longer an excuse that can be used to prevent a gun purchase thanks to the very idiots who use that as an excuse for these shootings. I guess you didn't get the memo that Trump REVERSED the Obama ban in 2017.

And TX allows guns to be carried in fucking mental hospitals. So, you tell us all how this could've been prevented when even "mental illness" couldn't have stopped him from LEGALLY purchasing a gun.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2022 11:54 PM

[quote]Reyes also said he has a criminal background and cannot have a weapon in the home. He would have reported the weapons to authorities had he known about them, Reyes added.

Right, so that's what this guy is going to say because he'll get into trouble otherwise. I'm not as sure as the rest of you that I believe that he didn't know about the guns. Maybe he didn't but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2022 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!