Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julia on HBO Max - More French Cooking

Because the first thread wasn't enough.

by Anonymousreply 87December 23, 2023 11:41 PM

Continuing the thread about Betty Friedan being at the fundraiser. These galas always pride themselves on inviting the cool kids, it wouldn't be surprising to find celebrities otherwise unrelated to public broadcasting.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 3:19 PM

I still need Fran Kranz in me quite deeply.

Just thought you'd all want to know.

Warmly,

The Fran Kranz Addict

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 3:51 PM

Is anybody planning on giving her cookbooks a try?

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 4:10 PM

r3, my copy of Mastering the Art is in pieces. Literally. I've used it so often, the spine split in two places, and the book is in three chunks. My copy of the French Chef Cookbook is old and its pages brown (it's a regular paperback).

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 4:15 PM

I do like the fact you can get Mastering in paperback form. I love to be able to get The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking in paperback.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 4:21 PM

I've never liked perfect-bound cookbooks, they always fall apart with use, and you can never keep them open while cooking. My sweet Jamie has this problem in spades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 4:25 PM

That's what mine looks like, r6, only it's even more torn apart.

My copy of Marcella's original Classic Italian Cookbook didn't get as destroyed, though the spine tore away from the front board. I bought Essentials of Italian Cooking much later, but I haven't used it as frequently, and except for a couple of page spills, it's in perfect condition.

I believe there are UK paperback versions of the original two books, r5, and also of Essentials of Italian Cooking.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 4:46 PM

If they needed to use Betty Friedan, they should have had her on the reading talk show. It would have been more entertaining for the pompous guy to go head to head with her.

And there’s no way that two black people could kiss in the lobby of NYC’s whitest establishment.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 9:33 PM

I’m going to a screening of an episode of Julia next week. After it there will be a live Q&A with Sarah Lancashire, David Hyde Pierce, Fran Kranz, Fiona Glascott, Brittany Bradford, showrunner/executive producer Chris Keyser and creator/executive producer Daniel Goldfarb. Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 9:40 PM

R9, please tell Sarah Lancashire that Broadway needs her. Suggest a revival of Mame. Angela Lansbury can play Mother Burnside.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 9:43 PM

With Bebe Neuwirth as Vera Charles.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 10:56 PM

I'm finally getting around to watching this and I'm enjoying it, Sarah Lancashire and David Hyde Pierce play Julia and Pete like a randy American version of Keeping Up Appearances.

by Anonymousreply 12May 21, 2022 1:54 AM

R12 Sorry I meant Paul I don't know where Pete came from.

by Anonymousreply 13May 21, 2022 2:28 AM

They screened the season finale in NYC tonight. It looked good on a big screen. Avis’ line “I’m just getting started” still makes no fucking sense. The Q&A afterward was OK, none of the actors and showrunners said anything new. After that there was a reception with an open bar, an omelette chef, beef bourguignon and coq au vin. Nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2022 3:20 AM

The Fred Rogers actor had the voice down, but didn't look like him. It reminded me of watching something from the 1970s when Rich Little pops up playing someone famous.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2022 3:27 AM

Fran Kranz needs an Emmy for this.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2022 3:28 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2022 3:32 AM

It might not have been surprising to find Betty Friedan at a public broadcasting dinner in 1962 but the Corporation for Public Broadcasting AKA PBS wasn't created until 1967.

Goldfarb compared the liberties taken to those in Amadeus. The problem with that is that no one who knew Mozart is alive today.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2022 4:25 AM

Yet another role where I can see Judith Light "acting."

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2022 4:30 AM

Sarah as Mame, June Diane Raphael as Vera.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2022 4:32 AM

Sarah as Sally.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2022 4:37 AM

I really enjoyed this show.

Julia Child brought a lot of people joy

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2022 7:16 AM

The only drawback of the series is Julia is too maudlin too often. There are too many “Oh, Paul” moments. I’m not saying that Julia didn’t have her down days, but this series makes her manic depressive.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2022 11:38 AM

I love the series and I like the characters, even the ones I hate. But, I do not like some of the liberties taken with the history as is known. For instance I love Brittany Bradford as Alice, but I was disappointed to discover there was no Alice. There was a female producer but she was white. Being a white woman working in tv at that time, she faced major discrimination herself, but evidently that wasn't enough for the makers of this show. If this work was purely a work of fiction I would have no problem with the character. I think both the character and actress are great, I just don't care for inserting a clearly fictional person into a historical piece. Basically all the non-black characters are based on real people and seem to follow their established story fairly faithfully. I'm not black, but that just seems offensive.

Paul Child's story is the interesting one to see how the writers write it. I can't find much about his first love affair, apparently he lived with the mother of one of his students for ten years but they didn't marry. I'm guessing the woman he talked to at the beach wasn't his child but his former lover's child who was is student? But, they didn't make that clear. Anyway, there were rumors of Paul's homosexual tendencies being the real reason he left the state department. It seemed like the show was going to go there several times but never did. They will have to be careful because they can't suggest the marriage was a bearding situation because it is known how insanely in love they were with each other.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2022 3:12 PM

I thought the woman he was talking to at the beach was his sister. Wasn’t there a family reference at some point?

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2022 4:10 PM

R25 after looking it up on Google nobody knows who she is supposed to be. I have to rewatch but I think she said she was happy he found Julia after “mom died.” Which leads me to think she was the student whose mother it has been reported elsewhere that Paul had a ten year affair with, before meeting and marrying Julia.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2022 5:18 PM

Jesus fucking Christ. Enough with the Alice shit. We get it. It's been said seven fucking million fucking times. There can be no more fresh or new things to say about it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2022 5:41 PM

OP- MORE French cooking?

I prefer Italian

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2022 6:11 PM

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2022 7:34 PM

R27 Sorry was that in the first thread? I haven't read it.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2022 9:10 PM

Forgot to mention one interesting thing and one funny thing that was brought up at last night’s Q&A. The interesting thing was Daniel Goldfarb saying that Season 1 was originally supposed to span three years, with the Season 1 finale ending with Julia winning the first Emmy Award for public television. That obviously didn’t happen. And the funny thing was Sarah Lancashire saying to Goldfarb “So is it in Episode 5 or Episode 6 where Julia finds a dead body in the cupboard?”

R27, shut the fuck up. The Alice anachronism is brought up a lot because a lot of people watching the show have been deceived into thinking WGBH actually had a black woman in power on one of their shows.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2022 10:02 PM

R31 Listen here bitch, I wasn't in the last thread and it hasn't been brought up a lot in this thread. so I don't know where you are talking about it being brought up a lot. And, as I said I like the character and actress, I just don't like a completely fictional character to be plopped in a biopic.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2022 10:14 PM

You are just a bunch of old, nellie, fat, racist cunts.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2022 10:15 PM

R32, your post was actually directed at R27. Who is a total bitch.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2022 12:28 AM

R34 Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2022 12:33 AM

[quote]The Alice anachronism is brought up a lot because a lot of people watching the show have been deceived into thinking WGBH actually had a black woman in power on one of their shows.

so they're not racists, just stupid, dumb as rocks morons? we got it

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2022 1:50 AM

R36, your lack of capitalization and punctuation skills are so very telling.

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2022 3:04 AM

Rewriting history to make black people apart of events they were not is moronic. And is untruthful.

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2022 5:02 AM

So is your lack of SVA skills, r37.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2022 5:30 AM

What the fuck does THAT mean, R39?

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2022 2:54 PM

r40 SVA = Subject Verb Agreement

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2022 3:50 PM

So I guess a way to address the extremely deceitful insertion of a black woman into a central position of power at WGBH next season could be to bring on another woman to co-produce The French Chef (the head of WGBH mentioned this). This woman might actually say at some point, in perhaps a subtle way, “What the fuck.” But nah, Goldfarb and Keyser would be too chicken shit to let that happen.

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2022 7:50 PM

Thank god for Alice.

At least I get a fucking break from the klangrannies

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2022 9:07 PM

I'm surprised this ended up on HBO other than the occasional "Fuck" it isn't very explicit. This would've been perfect as part of WGBH's Masterpiece on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2022 9:09 PM

Looks like Season 2 is underway in France and Stockard Channing is either a regular or a guest star.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2022 1:47 AM

Rachel Bloom is playing the character mentioned in the season finale-she’s brought in to “assist” Julia with the show.

by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2022 1:49 AM

Our favorite anachronism known as Alice will be producing a show at WGBH about “women’s issues” in Season 2. Someone who played an audience member just told me this at Thanksgiving dinner (right before the way too dry turkey was served).

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2022 9:50 PM

Isabella Rosselini just did an Insta story where she showed off some eclairs which seemed to be handed out on the last day of shooting on S2. I assume she goes to Boston with Julia and hubby after they visit her in France.

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2022 7:01 PM

Where's the episode where Julia and Lenny Bruce rape Daniel Goldfarb with a cattle prod? I mean, it could happen.

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2022 7:41 PM

Anyone watch the first episode of season 2? So glad it's back.

by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2023 2:53 AM

Stockard Channing looks like Madame of Wayland and Madame fame.

by Anonymousreply 51November 19, 2023 3:11 AM

I was shocked at Stockard's face and voice. It just proves you should wait until you're actually dead to undergo the embalming process.

by Anonymousreply 52November 19, 2023 4:45 AM

The first three episodes of season 2 were very good. Bebe is such a delight.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2023 5:12 PM

The walking anachronism that is Alice continues to grate. The actress isn’t even pretty or charming, i love Adriane Lennox as her mother, though. I’m liking Rachel Bloom as the new producer.

And what about Nassim Lyes as Sam? I’d like to lyes with HIM. Very hot French/Algerian piece of ass.

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2023 9:19 PM

Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2023 9:26 PM

Jesus: Stockard Channing.

by Anonymousreply 56November 20, 2023 12:52 AM

The actress who plays Alice was very good in the latest episode of The Gilded Age.

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2023 2:05 AM

I so want to love the series but I thought E1 was not really very good. I mean, what was it about? For a season opener it didn't really establish the arc of anything except a possible romance for Bebe. The arguing between Julia and Simka seemed especially silly and trivial. Paul and Simka's husband's conversations??? Who cares? All of those TV producers - are we supposed to think they're all idiots? Even Alice seemed like she didn't know what she was doing. Blanche Knopf is so one note. And poor Sarah Lancashire, what a waste of a brilliant actress! Give her something to play, please, other than mooning over a fish pie

I love all the actors but they deserve better dialogue and story lines. Hoping it gets better....

by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2023 2:18 AM

and is there a new season?

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2023 2:36 AM

[quote]The walking anachronism that is Alice continues to grate. The actress isn’t even pretty or charming, i love Adriane Lennox as her mother, though.

Yes, the actress who plays Alice's mother has stood out in a small role and made it memorable.

by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2023 2:38 AM

The casting of the Jacques Brel role was off in every possible way.

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2023 8:15 AM

This show reminds me of Daniel Goldfarb's other production,"The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," in which great care is devoted to authentic costumes and set design but everything else is anachronistic.

It's hard to tell when Season 2 is set. Simca Beck gifted Julia the land for her house in 1963. The second season of The French Chef was in 1964. Civil rights was a huge issue in that era but it's completely missing from the show in favor of Vietnam. The Sea Bass en Croute that heralds the beginning of Nouvelle Cuisine wasn't introduced until the 70s.

Judith Jones has a flirtation with Jacques Brel because, hey, it could have happened. Russ Monash, who hates this show with every fiber of his being, is casually dosed with LSD at a discussion of Vietnam led by a Black Harvard professor, one of two or three back then, who curiously omits any mention of race in his critique of the war.

Trying to imagine a woman executive in the 60s at WGBH announcing "I have to pee" to leave a meeting when a personal question is asked. At another point, she tells the group of men she works with to grow up. In reality, she would have been booted for that comment

Shows that omit how bad things were for Blacks, women and gays in the interest of representation do no one any favors.

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2023 10:46 AM

Russ Monash hating this show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2023 12:45 PM

I felt the Paris episode had the show back on footing. I found myself quite restless in the first and second episodes. I'm not quite sure why everybody was in Paris except maybe to give the cast a jolly. Blanche is getting tiresome fast and she wasn't even in the episode.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2023 1:11 PM

Wouldn't want what to get out about Paul? Has he dabbled in the mansex?

by Anonymousreply 65November 24, 2023 3:21 AM

The new FBI subplot is absolutely awful. Too late after the McCarthy era and too early for Nixon’s enemies list.

If the real Russ Monash hated Julia in its first season he must really hate it after the most recent episode.

I really love Adriane Lennox as Alice’s mother. I wish she’d have a scene with Sarah Lancashire and Bene Neuwirth.

by Anonymousreply 66November 24, 2023 3:48 PM

The show is becoming less about Julia and more about the people around her.

by Anonymousreply 67November 24, 2023 4:08 PM

I agree the FBI subplot is awful and weird.

Everyone except Julia is wearing second-hand vintage clothing and some of it looks a bit ratty. The costumers should have duplicated it instead of purchasing on ebay or wherever.

by Anonymousreply 68November 24, 2023 8:24 PM

Well, at least the awful FBI subplot wasn’t in evidence in this latest episode.

David Hyde Pierce did a beautiful job playing Paul and his twin Charlie.

The walking anachronism Alice Naman produced a pilot with a Black host and a discussion about contraception in 1964 in Boston and expected it to go like gangbusters? Please. And speaking of anachronisms was there even such a thing as “product placement” on TV in 1964?

The actor playing the Life interviewer was very good.

by Anonymousreply 69December 1, 2023 1:32 AM

Thanks for the spoilers, R69. Maybe, you know, wait a day?

by Anonymousreply 70December 1, 2023 1:35 AM

Shall I start the next thread in this series for when it's needed?

Say, for 2027?

I'll name it "Yet More French Cooking."

by Anonymousreply 71December 1, 2023 1:42 AM

R67 My thoughts exactly, more Julia please.

by Anonymousreply 72December 1, 2023 2:25 PM

Let's have a debate about product placement, which was contrary to PBS"s rules at that time.

Then let's have a Black producer who never existed come up with an idea for a show that would have been unthinkable in 1962 with a host who never would have been cast and then let's lament the station manager's lack of courage and foresight.

Then let's have Judith Jones say "fuck" except that few women used that word back then.

Then let's see Bebe Neuwirth's legs because Bebe Neuwirth.

by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2023 12:14 AM

DHP did great work as Paul and his twin. R73. You're right on all counts. It's a fictionalized account of a real woman's life. They should probably call it a fable.

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2023 4:47 AM

I loved tonight’s episode. Lancashire was at her best and Robert Joy (Hunter) was extremely moving.

by Anonymousreply 75December 8, 2023 1:58 AM

Kennedy was shot on Nov. 22 , 1963, the same time frame in which the show is taking place. No one in the cast seems to know this or was affected.

Avis also talks to an 18-year-old about voting when they didn't have the right to vote until 1971. Goldwater didn't announce his candidacy until early in 64, There's no indication CBS ever offered Julia a show or that she ever fired a woman producer. She did the White House show in 1968, There was no significant anti-war protests until several years later.

Enjoy the show because you like the characters, but this show has nothing to do with Child or that period of time.

by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2023 4:52 AM

And product placement? On public television? In 1964? Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 77December 8, 2023 2:19 PM

I was waiting for them to acknowledge the Kennedy assassination also, R76. The story seems to be in the fall of 1963, so it should have been upcoming. But I noticed at the end of episode 5 there was a shot of JFK's picture on the wall with a black ribbon, so I guess they just didn't want to go into it. Considering the whole show is about examining the culture of the 1960s, I was expecting it to be an entire episode, or at least affect the plot in some way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 9, 2023 12:28 AM

Julia Child's French Chef episodes from year one are on youtube. She was not the cosy, cuddly character who twirled a strawhat on a fundraising night that "Julia" mythologizes. She was formidable and knew her stuff. Child was the first to show TV people how to make delicious restaurant-quality food at home. She almost never smiled or joked.

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2023 10:48 PM

I thought the cunty White House chef was David Hyde Pierce doing an accent for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 80December 15, 2023 6:43 PM

R79, very true. I wonder how close, if at all, the HBO/Max TV Julia is at this point to the real-life Julia Child. Not just her personality but also the circumstances of her life.

I liked the recent conflict between Avis and Julia. Avis was right on target to take umbrage with Julia's objection to her teenager-like behavior. Julia and Paul were pretty childish and in-your-face themselves about their love. Remember Avis mentioning, "the bathtub"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2023 3:19 AM

Total shark jumping beyond all comprehension

by Anonymousreply 82December 22, 2023 4:13 AM

Given all the exaggeration and made-up incidents in the finale, I'm convinced that the writer is a compulsive liar for whom reality is never good enough. Big ones: Have the FBI investigate WGBH. Little ones: Judith Jones edited Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook and did a great job of it, but that wasn't enough--the series had to have Jones come up with the idea for the cookbook. Accuracy to the period:Russ Morash tells his wife the FBI agent was fucking weird, except that expletive was not used in polite conversation. And the talk of antiwar protests in 1964.

This show truly does not deserve to be renewed unless it gets better scripts. Yes, its characters are charming but it's such nonsense and it's made Julia Child into a cuddly, lovable character when she was a doyenne of cooking and not to be messed with. Homophobic, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 22, 2023 7:35 PM

That was the season finale??? Nothing of any note happened, except maybe Alice getting engaged.

by Anonymousreply 84December 22, 2023 9:23 PM

r84, they're pretty constrained by historical reality. If Julia had, say, dramatically announced she was divorcing Paul so as to marry Charles de Gaulle, I think viewers would be a little suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 85December 22, 2023 9:26 PM

I can’t imagine there’s a third season, unless the plan is for Julia to go all Miss Marple and investigate murders.

by Anonymousreply 86December 22, 2023 9:58 PM

A third season might be more interesting since Julia Child was diagnosed with breast cancer in the mid-1960s, and had a mastectomy in 1968. That might add a little dramatic heft, which the show has been lacking.

by Anonymousreply 87December 23, 2023 11:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!