Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Valerie Bertinelli files for divorce from husband Tom Vitale

Valerie Bertinelli has filed divorce papers to end her marriage to husband Tom Vitale.

The actor and television host, 62, submitted paperwork on May 12 to the Los Angeles Superior Court of California — citing “irreconcilable differences” as the reason for their split — in documents obtained by TODAY.

Bertinelli married Vitale, a financial planner, on Jan. 1, 2011. In November 2021, the “Valerie’s Home Cooking” host filed for legal separation from her husband.

However, according to the recent divorce papers, Vitale and Bertinelli have been separated since December 2019.

The documents also confirm that the pair have a prenuptial agreement that “is in full force and effect and fully binding on the parties.”

Vitale and Bertinelli do not have any children together.

On Monday, she uploaded a video to Instagram of her responding to a fan’s comment about her seeming sad.

“I’m just having a very bad day,” she said in the clip. “But you know what? Sometimes we have bad days and then we get over them. And then there’s a good day. So, I’m looking forward to the good day.”

Bertinelli was previously married to the late rock legend Eddie Van Halen from 1981 to 2007. In October 2020, the iconic guitarist died from cancer at age 65.

Since his death, Bertinelli has opened up publicly about the state of their relationship before he died.

“We went through a lot of hell as well,” she told Hoda Kotb when she stopped by TODAY in January. “We weren’t really good to each other at a lot of points in our lives because we met so young and were very immature.”

Bertinelli continued, “But I’m so happy that we were able to come to a beautiful place by the end of his life. I wish he was still here.”

She also spoke about the book she penned earlier this year titled “Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I Am Today.” The celebrity chef revealed in the memoir that she and their son, Wolfgang, 31, were with Van Halen during his final moments.

In the book, she shared, “I love you are the last words Ed says to Wolfie and me and they are the last words we say to him before he stops breathing.”

She wrote that the former couple remained close after their divorce.

During her appearance on TODAY in January, Bertinelli also spoke about her marriage with Vitale.

“I also want to be gentle and caring, and not just rip off a Band-Aid,” she said at the time. “I like to pull it off gently. But I think there is definitely power and peace in changing your narrative and changing the way that you can look at your life. I know it is for me. When I changed the way I looked at my life and stopped beating myself up most of the time, there is power in that and peace.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2022 10:07 PM

Valerie Bertinelli needs to step away from the social media and the TV show and go away and just live her life. She seems to try so hard to be some version of perky/perfect and can't pull it off (none of us can). Then she falls apart, accepts all of the love, thoughts and prayers from strangers, presents herself as a shining example of how we can all "strength".

Walk away from the aphorisms to fans through twitter or Instagram or TikTok Valerie. Close up shop on the faux gatherings with your conga-line of friends and live a life off the merry-go-round of being a "celebrity".

You seem like a nice person Val, just do that quietly. You might find you enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 9:55 AM

I always feel bad for Eddie’s actual second wife. I think it’s disrespectful to go on an about how he said I love you to Val with his last breath. Her need to be a part of his death is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 10:05 AM

I totally agree with you, R1!

I thought I was the only one who felt this way about her.

Something always felt off about Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 10:05 AM

This husband always seemed menacing and gross to me no matter how much he gamely tried to play along on her Food Network shoe.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 10:37 AM

^show, not shoe!

And, the guy had a history of violence when she married him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 10:56 AM

[quote]I always feel bad for Eddie’s actual second wife. I think it’s disrespectful to go on an about how he said I love you to Val with his last breath. Her need to be a part of his death is creepy.

Totally agree. And one would think a moment like that would be considered solemn and very private. It has nothing to do with the public and everything to do with his last moments of life with those he loved. And his wife should be more respected.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 11:08 AM

I don't get the people who think she's so nice and real. She's made her ex-husband's death entirely about her, and she's never seemed nice. I remember seeing interviews on TV in the 80s when I was a kid, and she just came across as snotty and entitled. People would say she was so cute and fun but they were going entirely based on her looks, not her actions.

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 11:12 AM

I don't think Valerie Bertinelli is off (as in crazy). I'm a fan, but even I think she's a tad bit unrealistic.

She literally married a Rockstar! Once she made the conscious decision to do that (knowing all that entailed), she should have put on her big girl panties and rolled with it. And yes i know he was an addict, which is a major complication to any relationship. But divorce? For better or worse? I guess for me the devil would be in the details - which we will never really know since he's not here to tell his side of it.

Society doesn't generally consider women to get "better" with age. Valerie Bertinelli is no different. Older people are treated badly in our society, and women in particular. When older women react as the shit called "life" happens to them, they tend to be considered as bitter and cynical or even "a Bitch." Men don't have the same restrictions as they age. Generally older men are viewed as "opinionated" and more often than not "wise." It's not fair, but it is true.

I think Valerie has always struggled with trying to be a complete woman but not giving up her "good girl" brand.

Do most women get wiser as they age? Of course they do, but culturally it is not viewed the same. No matter how much women "roar" and spout positive affirmations, they KNOW that their "worth" is to a large degree STILL tied to their looks and gender (both socially and professionally). No matter how well she maintains herself, a woman is not gonna look as hot at 50 as she did as 20. She is never gonna get the attention from society she got then either. That can fuck with a woman's head and worsen her position in society if she doesn't keep her emotions in check. Men are never held to that standard.

Valerie Bertinelli may seem a little off but she's not. She is a typical woman. Because she came into an extraordinary amount of attention at an early age, she thought she was different. She bought into her own hype but reality is finally hitting her. She did NOT trade up (women rarely do) on the second marriage. Her stock was highest when she was young and beautiful that was why she was able to snag the Rockstar and top notch acting gigs! Tom Vitale has always given me major asshole vibes. Valerie (romanticizing to a degree) probably feels that Vitale was never gonna be as good as Eddie for her. Vitale probably knew that.

It seems like she shoulda stayed with Eddie (if that was an option). Clearly, he was the love of her life. She just realized it too late. It seems like she has a lot of regret regarding Eddie, so dumping Vitale is probably the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 11:21 AM

Dammit, Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 11:28 AM

Eddie was a self-admitted alcoholic since a pre-teen. Never a good start for any relationship, let alone a marriage. She held his hair back as he puked his guys out while she was in full bridal regalia. Can't recall if this story is pre or post vows. Regardless, what a memory. Hopefully, Wolfie doesn't carry that gene.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 11:29 AM

Valerie was very cute (and still attractive) and Eddie was a good-looking guy. HTF did they wind up with Wolfgang?

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 11:53 AM

She seems exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2022 12:17 PM

She should go lez.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2022 12:23 PM

Rue McClanahan sure didn't care for Val

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2022 12:34 PM

I never realized her second husband had multiple assault convictions. Holy hell, what is wrong with her? She loves the bad boys, huh?

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2022 1:37 PM

R11 Right? What's bizarre is Wolfgang grew up rich and his mama's a Chef! She couldn't teach him about nutrition?

Maybe she did and he ended up an addict like his father... but his addiction is FOOD? But damn! He's only 31. With his gene pool you gotta think he'd look a helluva lot better if he lost some weight!

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2022 1:38 PM

Wolfie's on the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2022 1:43 PM

R15 Let's not get carried away. I trust you were being sarcastic. Valerie just has bad taste in men.

Mackenzie Phillips "might" be sober right now, but she wasted most of her life (so far) being drugged out of her gourd! Her mind has got to be now fried! She also was molested by her father and blocked it out and didn't deal with for decades (of course that is not her fault) but suffice to say, she's gotta be pretty fucked up!

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2022 1:47 PM

Valerie and Eddie were married for a long time. It seems that they remained a part of each other's life. He even made an appearance on one of her episodes though he stayed in the back ground. It seems their divorce was not because they no longer loved each other but for other reasons. They probably should have stuck it out.

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2022 1:59 PM

R17 Link please? I have never read anything about Wolfgang being "on the spectrum" for autism.

And even if he is, so what? That is not necessarily an excuse for him being a fat ass! Plenty of people function well. Wolfgang went to college. I am not sure if he graduated. He plays several instruments. It doesn't seem like there is anything stopping him from loosing weight.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2022 2:02 PM

Eddie was 1,000,000 times hotter than Wolfie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 1:08 AM

JUMP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2022 1:08 AM

Eddie looks drunk and stupid in the thumbnail at r22.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2022 1:31 AM

She’s shallow , but a good person

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2022 1:40 AM

Wait, seriously? This is only her second marriage? I swear, I thought she had been married like 6 times by now!

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2022 1:43 AM

Val has acted like Eddie's widow since he died. It's unseemly and unfair to his wife. Just bizarre. I guess her husband has had enough of it. Wolfie needs to eat better and exercise. Maybe Valerie can help him since she used to promote Weight Watchers.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2022 1:43 AM

R26 sounds like an ignoramus frau from the southern Indiana, northern Kentucky hinterlands.

Or she's taking side work from her primary Depp gig...

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2022 2:24 AM

She's one of those once ubiquitous people that I don't care enough about to learn why she was ever famous. The widest face in show business maybe?

In any case, she does give the impression of working very hard to appear nice - not that I've any reason to think she's evil, she just seems to sink rather too much effort into a happy and nice facade.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2022 10:25 AM

I think Wolfie is handsome. I even like the weight.

His album last year was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2022 10:40 AM

She's one of those once ubiquitous people that I don't care enough about to learn why she was ever famous. The widest face in show business maybe?

Are you kidding?

She was on the infamous "One Day at a Time" in the 1970's, and young guys all around the country were totally in love with her!

Valerie was like every guy's dream girl and America's Sweetheart. She was cute, sweet, perky, funny, etc. The whole package.

How in the hell do you think she bagged Eddie Van Halen, one of the biggest rockers of his era.

Over the years, Valerie must have become super jaded, because now she just seems really bitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2022 10:40 AM

Val went through a very pretty period late in the ODAAT run, every girl seemed to emulate her winged hairstyle, designer jeans, and blazer look.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2022 11:08 AM

[quote]Vitale, a financial planner

There's the problem, never trust a financial planner.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2022 3:06 PM

Christ, is this why she was fucking weepy and mysterious on TikTok the other day? This bitch has got to get it together, did she learn nothing on One Day at a Time?

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2022 3:20 PM

Is divorce a get of of jail free card from Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or whatever fat reduction company she’s shilling for? I could see the contract having an out clause if she’s divorcing it can’t be expected she won’t eat her weight in shacks each week so she doesn’t have to promote them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2022 3:23 PM

Why does she still matter?

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2022 3:23 PM

R35 Because there are still a lot of 50+ year olds who remember her fondly.

by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2022 3:25 PM

She should go on tour as The Widow Van Halen, backed by her son Wolfie.

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2022 3:29 PM

R14 Yes I was like what did Valerie ever do to Rue??

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2022 8:48 PM

All her blabbing lately has made me dislike her when before I viewed her positively.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2022 8:52 PM

Wolfie is a fat slob

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2022 8:52 PM

I like Valerie. I think she knows she made a mistake marrying Tom and she still loves Eddie and always did. I think maybe they should have done a trial separation instead of a divorce. But of course, that's easy for me to say standing on the outside. When you're in a relationship, and it's going south, and then it goes WAY SOUTH, you freak out. Plus they were a lot younger and dumber back then.

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2022 8:58 PM

Eddie was an alcoholic and crack addict who wouldn't stop. I don't blame her for moving on.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2022 9:04 PM

Well now she quoting Maya Angelou on TikTok, at least it’s not Bonnie Franklin’s “why I divorced speech” from One Day at aTime.

by Anonymousreply 43May 19, 2022 12:55 AM

Seems Valerie's a Johnny Depp supporter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 19, 2022 12:05 PM

Not surprising, R44, since she married a dude with numerous convictions for assault. I'm sure she made the same excuses for him that she makes now for Johnny.

BTW, I think Amber is vile and abusive, too.

by Anonymousreply 45May 19, 2022 12:42 PM

When are we gonna stop pretending women are "victims" who seek out assholes and CHOOSE to stay with them? I don't know if Valerie was physically abused but Vitale seems like he could definitely exert some mental abuse. BTW, I think Amber Heard is the asshole and the aggressor in her situation.

I give Valerie Bertinelli credit for dumping her asshole. Good for you Valerie. And I am glad she's supporting Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 46May 19, 2022 3:26 PM

Will Tom be edited out of all of the footage for Valerie's show on the Food Network?

As if he never existed?

Asking for a friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 19, 2022 5:08 PM

This is just a rumor that I read online but it’s alleged that Eddie and his wife were on the skids and were headed towards divorce, except that he got cancer and so they decided not to go through with it. Apparently, he held a flame for Valerie in his new marriage and wanted to get back with her.

by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2022 5:21 PM

If you're not in Chicago, you should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 49May 19, 2022 6:14 PM

Valerie Bertinelli was Eddie Van Halen’s eternal flame!

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2022 9:18 PM

Rue McClanahan may not have been a fan of hers but Betty White sure was.

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2022 1:46 AM

R47 I do like that Vitale said "no free pass." I always think that is a silly thing for couples to say - especially when they are rich and famous and pretty much could get whoever they wanted to sleep with them without much effort. Why tempt fate? Don't even think about that shit, much less verbalize it by telling me about it. I don't wanna know who you have the hots for other than me.

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2022 2:00 AM

It’s not that complicated . Valerie could be considered an older « child star. » an enormous amount of wealth, attention , the I’m so great mindset — and this should last forever .

As an elder gay , i detest the public whining and crying 24/7 on tiktok, Instagram, etc. These « stars » think they are so fucking IMPORTANT that other people should give a fuck.

In the olden days you’d only see « celebrity whining » occasionally on a talk show. They were more restrained, because they didn’t have the fucking anonymity of the internet.

by Anonymousreply 53May 20, 2022 2:13 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 20, 2022 2:19 AM

Wasn’t the last straw for Valerie was when Eddie was diagnosed with cancer the first time and after treatment he went back to smoking and drinking.

by Anonymousreply 55May 20, 2022 2:24 AM

Well, she’s obviously chosen TikTok as her primary crutch to get through this divorce.

by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2022 7:49 AM

“Make up your goddamn mind, Val, fat or thin???”

by Anonymousreply 57May 20, 2022 8:02 AM

I wasn’t aware until I read this CNN article today that this second marriage had problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2022 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!