Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Geffen

Have we chatted about him here before? I'm sure we have.

Lots of chatter on him in the Donna Summer thread.....how so many artists came to his label in the 80s and yet few if any of them had much success there.

And he was....straight in the 70s?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2022 6:46 PM

Can he have any money left, throwing around these 100s of millions of dollars gifts around everywhere for naming rights?

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2022 3:09 PM

Yes, he has one of the best art collections in the world, and sold one of his houses to Jeff Bezos for $165 million.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2022 3:35 PM

He dated Cher. AKA, he was a fag.

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2022 3:36 PM

......uh, i guess one could say Geffen does NOT have a reputation for modesty.

from wikipedia

Avery Fisher had a reputation for modesty. John Mazzola, the general manager of Lincoln Center, had to persuade him to permit Philharmonic Hall to be renamed after him. He protested that no one paid attention to such things and quipped, "Who's Major Deegan?" (a reference to the obscure namesake of the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx).[16]

Four decades later Fisher proved prophetic when Lincoln Center officials announced their plan to remove his name from the Hall in favor of a new donor. On November 13, 2014 they laid out a timetable for naming rights to be sold to the highest bidder in a drive to raise a total of $500 million toward renovation set to commence in 2019. Said Lincoln Center chairwoman Katherine Farley, "It will be an opportunity for a major name on a great New York jewel." Fisher's three children accepted $15 million in return for acquiescing to the deal.[15] The Hall was renamed David Geffen Hall in September 2015 after Geffen pledged a $100 million donation to the Lincoln Center renovation.[17]

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2022 6:03 PM

Oh he’s been covered on DL. Brilliant incredibly driven and hard driving guy, closeted in the beginning of his career, out since the early 90s. I know him a bit- I found him to be the least obnoxious (in different ways) of the Diller/Klein etc all mafia. Often the very successful are not nice due to a certain amount of ruthlessness and ambition. I know instances of his kindnesses to friends, whereas most of the others I cannot say a good thing about other than that I admire their success. I do know other hyper successful but not famous people- all are driven and not necessarily ruthless or mean. My Dad was one- driven and hardworking but incredibly kind and decent. The pol Pete B comes across as driven but kind- Interesting what it takes.

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2022 6:20 PM

Has Steve Antin commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2022 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!