Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Belinda Carlisle — I Get Weak

An underrated classic 80s gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 17, 2023 5:21 PM

A good pop song diminished by Belinda’s bleating vocals.

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2022 2:35 AM

In high school one of my “witty” friends used to sing this as “I Get Wet.”

by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2022 2:41 AM

Her voice sounds thin and horrible on this song.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2022 2:46 AM

I always loved her voice, but I hated that particular song.

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2022 2:48 AM

The song was also weak.

Much better tune that was on the same album

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2022 3:25 AM

She tried different sounds in many flop albums but she always kept going back to producer-songwriters Rick Nowels/Ellen Shipley for at least a couple songs per album. I had almost all of them but they weren't that good.

by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2022 8:06 AM

I love the song. Especially the bridge, the way it builds, with beautiful background vocals. I saw Belinda perform at a smaller venue here in LA eight or nine years ago. She's lovely, moves and gestures so gracefully. I also once briefly met her, and she was nice as could be. I always describe her as "ladylike," which sounds odd but fits.

by Anonymousreply 7May 10, 2022 1:12 PM

Nothing better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 10, 2022 1:16 PM

I agree with OP this is by far her best hit song but is underrated due to the similar (and less great) “Heaven Is a Place On Earth” directly preceding it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 10, 2022 7:34 PM

R9 Yeah, I don't like that one as much. It got a lot of attention in part because Diane Keaton directed the video (back when videos were important).

by Anonymousreply 10May 10, 2022 7:36 PM

One of the biggest hits & most overplayed songs of the Late 80s is suddenly considered "underrated". Sure........

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2022 7:48 PM

The OP is referring to the fact that it is no longer remembered and revered as well as some of her other big hits. He did not say it was underrated at the time it was released, idiot

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2022 7:52 PM

Runaway Horses is her overall best album. Lots of great songs on that one.

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2022 10:08 AM

Three days ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2022 10:20 AM

This was her second biggest solo hit (went to #2 here in the US) after her #1 "Heaven Is A Place On Earth"

worldwide hit so I don't think it can be underrated in any way (unless you expected it to go to #1 as well).

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2023 4:00 AM

I liked "Circle in the Sand" better than this song.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2023 4:02 AM

R14 We have a Bitchlinda Carlisle troll. Anytime a music thread is posted he breathlessly posts dozens of things about her, despite that fact that a vast majority of her solo music is absolute shit.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2023 4:15 AM

^ We also have a lone Carlisle Hater Troll who always has to chime in like a loon.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2023 4:18 AM

R18 Oh no, I'm not alone in my hatred of her music. Nor of the havoc she's wreaked within the Go-Go's over the years.

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2023 4:19 AM

Horrible Diane Warren written crap. I always hated the way she sings and butchers the lyrics with her awful affectations. Belinda needs to go right in the fucking woodchipper, tits first, for this abomination.

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2023 4:19 AM

She just released a new Diane Warren song "Big Big Love" today. Decent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2023 4:34 AM

I have never forgiven Warren for unleashing that horrid Aerosmith song: I don't wanna miss a thing. Sung/screamed by that ugly drag queen, Ms Stevie Tyler.

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2023 5:00 AM

Belinda looks dreadful. I would be embarrassed to release that video. The fact that her eyes weirdly look like they are painted onto her face should have been evident in that 80 for Brady video. Did she piss off all the good gay stylists? Did James Duke scare them off?

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2023 2:56 PM

I would hardly say Belinda looks dreadful. She's almost 65. Her work is better than 95% of the stuff you usually see how there. One is particular shall remain nameless. MADONNA.

by Anonymousreply 24March 17, 2023 4:56 PM

I love I Get Weak. Fantastic song and video.

Speaking of M, her ex Tony Ward was in the I Get Weak video.

He was so gorgeous then.

by Anonymousreply 25March 17, 2023 5:11 PM

Belinda is not a great singer, but her discography is full of hidden gems. I love this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 17, 2023 5:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!