Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Retirees and Those Close to Retirement -are you rethinking?

The recent spike in inflation, combined with falling stock prices, has a recently retired friend of mine considering returning to work. I’m planning to retire in a year and a half but may delay if these trends continue. Anyone else having second thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2023 11:43 AM

Recession is looming!

by Anonymousreply 1May 8, 2022 11:12 AM

No.

I returned to work (part-time) last year simply b/c I enjoy it and the non-profit I volunteer for needed the help and asked me to go on staff. I like the people and the work. I earned more in one hour in my professional job than I earn in a week now, but that doesn't matter. I have enough money and I like what I'm doing and I can pretty much make my own hours. I'm not worried about my investments, I have plenty.

by Anonymousreply 2May 8, 2022 11:19 AM

Hell no I'm not going back to work.

Here's a Pro Tip re retirement: NO ONE thinks they have enough money saved, but once you do retire, you'll find you could have retired even earlier.

In my estimation ¼ to ⅓ of your salary goes out just to maintain "the job." Think about this.

by Anonymousreply 3May 8, 2022 1:26 PM

Retired a year ago due to Covid. I've found I have a better lifestyle, more relaxed, healthier mentally and physically now that I'm out of the full tine work force. Less cash for sure but I do what I want when I want --which is the best gift life can give.

by Anonymousreply 4May 8, 2022 1:56 PM

R3, very true as we found out during the pandemic. I saved so much money working from home in my sweats.

by Anonymousreply 5May 8, 2022 2:07 PM

I own a house which I will only be able to afford while I’m working. I know that I must sell it when I retire.

The big question is where do I move to? Florida which doesn’t have a state tax but is nuts or California which is closer to relatives but taxes the hell out of you?

by Anonymousreply 6May 8, 2022 2:09 PM

How much money do you need to retire?

by Anonymousreply 7May 8, 2022 2:13 PM

R6 Georgia has a moderately generous investment income exclusion for seniors.

by Anonymousreply 8May 8, 2022 2:15 PM

I have a few more years but have started practicing living on a fixed income taking into account how much I will have to pay for supplemental health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 9May 8, 2022 2:28 PM

My retirement plans are the same. I'll be dropping down to part time in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 10May 8, 2022 2:31 PM

R6 Find an up and coming smaller blue city in a red state, especially towns with universities. Lower cost of living and enough of a bubble to take the edge off of any culture shock. For me- Fayetteville Arkansas. Tons of Walton family money rolling around to enrich the cultural scene and enough old hippies, university students, fledgling entrepreneurs to give the town some life. Cost: Rent, utilities, taxes, are 40% cheaper than my last northern city (Minneapolis)

by Anonymousreply 11May 8, 2022 2:32 PM

I’m fortunate to have a work at home job that pays well. If I had to work in the office I would retire.

by Anonymousreply 12May 8, 2022 3:59 PM

You will always out live your money.

by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2022 5:16 PM

If you own a home in an area with high real estate prices, cash out, and move to an area with low real estate prices.

Pay cash for your retirement home and then enjoy a cheaper cost of living.

The advice up thread to look for a smaller city with a college or university is sound. Avoid an area that gets tourists or you'll find yourself hosting friends and family more than you'd want.

by Anonymousreply 14May 8, 2022 8:42 PM

Anyone else changing their plans due to higher interest rates and a forever-looming recession on the horizon? Or are you all still retiring and enjoying the good life?

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2023 1:59 PM

Besides Fayetteville, Birmingham, Huntsville, Oxford, Knoxville, Augusta, Savannah, Tennessee Tri-Cities

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2023 2:07 PM

We are 64 and 62, so definitely thinking about it. We do not look at our retirement accounts often (once a quarter or so) so not too worried about the day-to-day changes in the market. We are 2 and 5 years away from Social Security, so reckon we'll be working for a few more years anyways.

The only change to our spending habits has been in terms of travel. We have not taken a vacation since before COVID and we used take 2 weeks to travel abroad for a joint vacation. I reckon we will resume travelling at some point - maybe in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2023 2:20 PM

I'd sooner live in a pile of shit than live anywhere in the south

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2023 2:25 PM

I also am working 100% remote now, and like banking the larger salary I earn these days. Enjoying what you do is also a major factor. I paid off my house at the end of last year, but want to do some repairs and updates while I downsize all the stuff I have accumulated over the years.

I keep saying that I don't have the time to retire, but I am finalizing several long-term projects. Maybe I'll make the leap by the end of the year?

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2023 2:30 PM

Retirement? What the hell is that?! I have a better chance of seeing Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2023 2:31 PM

I am 54 and have enough years in my government job to retire, but I want to pay off some things first. Right now, I’d draw about 62% of my current salary. If I stayed until 65, I’d draw almost 100%, but I am not sure I can hold out that long. I like my job, but I’d kind of like to take my retirement and do something else—less pressure, more creative, closer to home—just to cover my insurance until I can get Medicare. I wouldn’t want to retire and then do another 40 hour job, though.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2023 2:47 PM

I am 61 and retiring in 3 years. I don’t worry about the stock market because I don’t need any retirement funds until age 70. I can live off a pension and SS.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2023 3:15 PM

R18 If you're not living in the South, then you already are living in a pile of shit. Please stay put. No one wants you here.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2023 3:26 PM

[quote] Right now, I’d draw about 62% of my current salary. If I stayed until 65, I’d draw almost 100%,

R21 is praying the government remains solvent. National debt is now $31.12 trillion. I'm 55 and think there's a 50/50 chance I'll ever see social security money.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2023 11:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!