Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone watching Under the Banner of Heaven on Hulu?

Fuck, Mormons are weird but I am going to download the book now.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2023 6:50 PM

Not yet, but thanks for mentioning it. I read the book a while ago and had no idea there was a series. I'll definitely check it out. (So I guess that's a soon-to-be yes!)

by Anonymousreply 1May 8, 2022 4:08 AM

I'm watching it. If anyone else were starring in it than Andrew Garfield, I'd give it up. The people he's hunting down are too unsympathetic. The only other actor who's interesting is Andrew Burnap, as Joseph Smith, who's just a peripheral presence. It was hot, though, when they were stringing Smith up to castrate him (they ended up tarring and feathering him instead, and did it offscreen).

by Anonymousreply 2May 8, 2022 4:25 AM

I thought I recognized Kieran Culkin.

That whole clan seems creepy as fuck. I'm surprised the men only have one wife apiece.

by Anonymousreply 3May 8, 2022 2:18 PM

I find the cops NA character more interesting than the white bread, too wholesome Mormon cop.

by Anonymousreply 4May 8, 2022 2:20 PM

I have a question about a scene. There's a church scene where all the women are wearing modified white versions of the Handmaids garb and men are wearing white shower caps. I was also cooking so I may missed something so my question is: WTF?

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2022 3:12 PM

The sacred garments Mormons are required to wear under their clothes.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2022 3:18 PM

The conversation has been going on already over here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2022 4:54 PM

Link as to how I can download the book please.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2022 5:12 PM

R5, Could have been standard Temple garb. Not the same as the everyday long underwear always worn under clothes.

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2022 5:14 PM

You're right, R9. I've read a lot about it, and that was the scene with the marriage "sealing" ceremony in the SLC temple.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2022 2:23 AM

Does Garfield show any skin?

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2022 2:26 AM

Jesus! Why are most of the actors English, Irish, Australian, etc/?

This shit needs to stop! I hope these Euro/Aussie actors are enjoying themselves, because once the conservatives take over they'll be personas non grata. The Republicans are not afraid to take on Hollywood and many of us are sick of liberal Hollywood overlooking American talent and promoting anti-America propaganda.

Luckily, the Democrats are self-destructing with the woke crap, which many Americans are starting to reject.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2022 2:51 AM

Andrew Garfield is also American, r12, so go fuck yourself. Fuck yourself right in the ass. Use a chef's knife.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2022 2:56 AM

Is R12 being facetious?

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2022 3:30 AM

I’m enjoying the cast -all of whom I think are doing amazing work - more than the actual story which is slow and a bit sluggish at times.

Both Andrew Garfield and Wyatt Russell are extremely attractive in this. And I’ve developed a small crush on BIlly Howle who plays Allen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2022 8:13 PM

It got really boring really fast

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2022 8:18 PM

R8 ......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2022 8:26 PM

[quote]Jesus! Why are most of the actors English, Irish, Australian, etc/?

It's called Mediocre American Actor Replacement Theory in which more or equally talented actors are pulled from other locations to bring down costs & increase quality. And it's all shot in Canada anyway.

Actually, I think it's Rory Culkin, but he's easily recognizable as a Culkin.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2022 9:19 PM

I’m having trouble keeping all of the brothers straight. Especially with one called Dan and one called Sam.

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 5:18 PM

Daisy Edgar Jones has been pitch perfect in all of her scenes but I was expecting her role to be much more substantial. Maybe she will have some more to do in the final episodes.

I thought Rory Culkin played it a little over the top in this last episode, but for the most part have been impressed by all the actors. Wyatt Russell and especially Sam Worthington are good at playing their increase menacing characters.

I could do without the historical flashbacks though which come across a little cheesy. And boring. The miniseries could have been reduced by one episode if they had jettisoned all of these scenes.

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2022 2:13 PM

[quote]Daisy Edgar Jones has been pitch perfect in all of her scenes but I was expecting her role to be much more substantial.

I thought that too -like the character could've been called "Martyred Victim #1" for all we really know about Brenda, but I'm guessing in the final episodes she tries to *save* the brothers (since as they've said from the beginning, she very much considers herself a Lafferty), which is why the deranged loon, fundy brothers decide that Miss Bossypants needs to go

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2022 2:31 PM

So it just ends? I guess they plan a second season. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2022 3:33 PM

I think it's very well acted and am enjoying the insight into the LDS world. The FDLS world seems scary as shit and it makes it hard to watch. Both LDS worlds seem sad, depressing and scary for a woman.

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2022 3:48 PM

I would stop watching if if Andrew Garfield weren't the star. I haven't seen this episode yet. Maybe I'll save it and binge on the last three episodes sometime this summer.

by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2022 3:53 PM

I read there are two more episodes. Is Hulu releasing one at a time?

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2022 4:38 PM

The book is terrific! Fascinating look at history of Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2022 4:42 PM

There's a new episode every Thursday, I think, r25. Maybe Friday.

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2022 6:00 PM

I wonder why they didn’t put this on FX.

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2022 6:04 PM

The actor who plays the mentally impaired brother, Jacob, cleans up quite nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2022 8:35 PM

I stopped watching and went back to it and I barely remember what it was about. If you want to watch an interesting Mormon-themed show, see if you can find Big Love with Bill Paxton and Chloe Sevigny. It's a lot more fun to watch!

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2022 10:39 PM

I don’t think they were going for “fun.”

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2022 10:42 PM

Ha, R31.

"Why isn't this tale of Mormon fundamentalism-inspired double murder more FUN?" R30 asks.

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2022 10:51 PM

When does the banner come into the story?

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2022 10:54 PM

Posting this for the hot hot tube gay Mormon men kiss gif.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 29, 2022 8:56 AM

I just caught up with this and thought it was one of the dullest things I've sat through in a long time. Not surprising seeing as it came from Dustin Lance Black.

Andrew Garfield was really terrible in it. Every scene he's on the verge of tears. Cannot believe he got the only Emmy nomination for this when there were much better performances from people like Wyatt Russell.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2023 6:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!