Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frank Langella Blames "Cancel Culture" For Firing From Netflix Show

New York Times By Vimal Patel May 5, 2022

Frank Langella, who was fired in April from his leading role in a Netflix mini-series after a misconduct investigation, said on Thursday that his dismissal followed a love scene in which the actress playing his wife accused him of touching her leg — an action not in the script.

“She then turned and walked off the set, followed by the director and the intimacy coordinator,” Langella wrote in a column for Deadline, about a March 25 incident on the set of “The Fall of the House of Usher.” The series is based on works by Edgar Allan Poe and created by Mike Flanagan.

“I attempted to follow, but was asked to ‘give her some space.’ I waited for approximately one hour, and was then told she was not returning to set and we were wrapped,” Langella wrote.

Langella said he and the actress were both clothed during the scene. During the ensuing investigation, he said, someone in human resources told him that the intimacy coordinator had suggested where the actors should place their hands during the scene. Langella called the instructions “absurd,” he said.

“It was a love scene on camera,” Langella said. “Legislating the placement of hands, to my mind, is ludicrous. It undermines instinct and spontaneity.” Referring to the human resources employee, Langella wrote, “Toward the end of our conversation, she suggested that I not contact the young lady, the intimacy coordinator, or anyone else in the company. ‘We don’t want to risk retaliation,’ she said.”

Netflix did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday evening.

Langella said that he had been “canceled,” and that the harm to him has been “incalculable,” including losing a thrilling part, facing a stretch of unemployment and suffering a tarnished reputation. These indignities, he said, are “the real definition of unacceptable behavior.”

“Cancel culture is the antithesis of democracy,” he said. “It inhibits conversation and debate. It limits our ability to listen, mediate, and exchange opposing views. Most tragically, it annihilates moral judgment. This is not fair. This is not just. This is not American.”

The production plans to recast Langella’s role as Roderick, the reclusive patriarch of the Usher family, and reshoot the scenes in which he had already appeared. The series also stars Carla Gugino, Mary McDonnell and Mark Hamill, among others.

Langella, 84, known for his performances both onscreen and onstage, shot to fame in the title role of the 1979 film “Dracula” after starring in a Broadway production as the count. He also played President Richard M. Nixon in both the stage and screen versions of “Frost/Nixon,” earning an Oscar nomination as well as a Tony Award for best actor in a play in 2007. Recently, Langella appeared as the judge in the Netflix film “The Trial of the Chicago 7.”

by Anonymousreply 172July 4, 2022 7:35 PM

So, he touched her in an unapproved place even though he was previously told where to place his hands?

I find it hard to believe he wasn’t warned about his behavior before the firing.

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2022 3:12 PM

But r1 he found it ABZURD (be sure to scream it and pronounce the s as a z) so decided to ignore it.

Sounds totally sketchy, and that’s HIS version.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2022 3:20 PM

Poor old coot wants to live like it's 1977, giving women unwanted hugs, calling them babe, scoffing at intimacy coaches "I'll put my hands wherever I want!"

Too bad, he was a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2022 3:23 PM

He knew he'd have to follow what the coordinator told him to do, he refused, now he's crying "cancel culture" like every other spoiled brat over 50 does these days, every time they face consequences for their own actions.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2022 3:23 PM

The creative process is being oppressed!

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2022 3:26 PM

Did he touch her vagina?

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2022 3:56 PM

Who was the actress?

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2022 3:57 PM

Since when do we listen to the explanations of the CANCELLED?

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2022 3:59 PM

So, he's Clare Quilty in real life?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2022 4:00 PM

[quote] Who was the actress?

Gee if only there was a way to solve that mystery!

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2022 4:01 PM

It's actually hard to tell who would be playing Roderick's "wife" because that's not a character in any previous version. Madeline is being played by Mary McDonnell but that character is normally Roderick's sister. And IMDb doesn't say who the other actresses are playing. Could be Carla Gugino, or Annabeth Gish, or it could have been Kate Siegel who is the wife of the series creator Mike Flanagan, and she's a terrible actress he keeps foisting on us in all of his Netflix projects - if Langella touched her inappropriately it would make even more sense, the big hullaballoo. But Flangan always remixes these properties so it's hard to tell who is playing who

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2022 4:07 PM

R3-He's a big QUEEN why would he be accused of hitting on a woman?

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2022 4:07 PM

It's a bit silly though, he's fired for an errant hand during a love scene? I'm curious if the actress he groped is going to be able to work with anyone else. It'd be funny if she complained about everyone.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2022 4:12 PM

I am going to be SO MAD if we find out Langella called this "cancel culture" if the person he touched was Kate Siegel, because it wouldn't be cancel culture, it would be "nepotism hissy fit."

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2022 4:17 PM

Yea it's a bit dramatic if he really did just touch her leg. Not like he grabbed her tit or finger-fiddled her foof

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]her foof

Language, dear!

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2022 4:24 PM

I have heard whispers of Kate Siegel being a monstrous cunt

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2022 4:48 PM

It's Frank Langella. The same guy who wrote a book all about how everyone he's ever met has desperately wanted sex with him, and how he obliged in nine cases out of ten.

So no, I don't think this is because he barely touched an actress's leg during a scene. Come on, now.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2022 5:02 PM

He's 84, not like he's still able to get it up.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2022 5:07 PM

If this played out exactly how he says, I hope that actress never works again. This is absolutely crazy. Imagine not being able to portray passion during a sex scene. That actress should find a new career or read the script first.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote] Yea it's a bit dramatic if he really did just touch her leg. Not like he grabbed her tit or finger-fiddled her foof

Honey, the thigh is right next to the foof.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2022 5:18 PM

I get being spontaneous as an actor and trying to make a moment feel real....but maybe this was more of a "don't tell me what to do!" situation and if so, shame on him for ignoring his scene partner's boundaries. Of course you'll get fired if you make a costar feel groped or unsafe with you. Sex scenes/makeout scenes are hugely uncomfortable. Respect the other person.

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2022 5:27 PM

Women really need to grow the fuck up and quit acting like babies.

by Anonymousreply 23May 7, 2022 3:46 AM

I agree w/Camille and Frank (in general). He touched her KNEE, and she freaked out.

Here's his defense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 7, 2022 9:44 PM

This guy reached an advanced age all while doing whatever he pleased.

And now, at 84, he hears "no" for the first time.

Has to be a shock for him.

by Anonymousreply 25May 7, 2022 9:46 PM

Was Whoopie born without a moral compass? She really does have a long history of being associated with some real losers.

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2022 9:49 PM

His eyes are still beautiful and seductive.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2022 10:00 PM

[quote] finger-fiddled her foof

Best thing to come out of DL in a long time! Needs to be spread wider than me!

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2022 10:43 PM

Bruce Greenwood was recast in Langella’s role. He’s worked closely with Carla Gugino before, particularly in some very physical scenes in Gerald’s Game, so my assumption is it is Gugino playing his wife in Usher…and therefore Gugino who lodged the complaint.

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2022 4:29 AM

Tough one . I agree with him

by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2022 5:27 AM

The people who whine about "cancel culture" are fine with the actual government censorship happening in Florida. Republicans are hilarious

by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2022 5:36 AM

R8, tons of people have lost a job at some point. I guess you think that makes him a tragic victim of cancel culture *rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2022 5:38 AM

R20, what makes you think he's telling the truth when he's playing the victim and acting like a tragic victim of "cancel culture"

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2022 5:40 AM

Listen to r18. The guy is a douche

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2022 5:41 AM

Who casts an 84 year old Frank Langella in a role that involves a sex scene?

Ain't nobody asking for a sex scene with this old fart.

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2022 6:11 AM

I read somewhere that the actress is in her 20s, so that cancels out Gugino and Gish.

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2022 6:19 AM

"This is not fair. This is not just. This is not American.” unjust is VERY American, Frankie!

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2022 7:01 AM

Why is an 84 y.o.man doing a love scene, period?

I don't even like most love scenes when attractive young people do them. They are dumb, unrealistic and don't generally move the plot forward at all.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2022 7:01 AM

the performer who made the accusation is now a liability for future productions. Who wants to hire anyone that sensitive ?

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2022 7:05 AM

[quote] Imagine not being able to portray passion during a sex scene.

Haha what a twit you are R20.

If an actor can ACT they can "portray passion" now matter where (or if) they touch their scene partner. And, yes, Langella can act. So he's got no stance here if that's his stance.

Imagine him doing a sword fight scene and complaining, [bold]"but if I follow the fight-choreography I won't be able to portray passion in the fight."[/bold] I'm pretty sure his scene partner wouldn't want to do the scene with him in that case either.

by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2022 7:11 AM

An " intimacy coordinator" ! Who would have thought?

How I'd love to be able to respond to the question, " and what do you do for a living "?

" I'm an intimacy coordinator...please stand back..."

by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2022 7:24 AM

An Intimacy Coordinator?

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2022 7:34 AM

Tell me about it Frank.

by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2022 7:40 AM

I don’t understand how this is cancel culture. Cancel culture is public backlash and condemnation when someone does something racist / sexist / homophobic, which leads to job loss and etc. That’s cancel culture.

Being fired on set for being deemed inappropriate is not cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 44May 8, 2022 7:42 AM

One of the fucked up things about 'cancel culture' is it is so random.

Some people are able to avoid it whilst others who have done similar things get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 45May 8, 2022 7:44 AM

I can't wait until the conservatives take over this decade and woke/cancel culture will finally be a thing of the past!

by Anonymousreply 46May 8, 2022 8:05 AM

There are two sides to every story, if his assertions are in fact true, it is a terrible thing. We have not yet heard from the mysterious "actress"...

by Anonymousreply 47May 8, 2022 9:21 AM

Somehow I'm thinking that if all Langella did was put his hands an on actress's fully clothed leg one time during a love scene that Netflix would not say "Yes! Let's fire him now and spend an extra $10 million to reshoot all his scenes while we delay the release of this series by several months!"

There was much more going on than a one-time leg touch.

Now that "more" might have been that he was not doing a good job in the role period, was clashing with the director too much or that he was generally being creepy.

But we don't know

by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2022 9:34 AM

I touched her clitty when I was supposed to touch her titty.

by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2022 9:52 AM

The intimacy coordinator should have smelled his finger for proof!

by Anonymousreply 50May 8, 2022 10:05 AM

You can always count on DLers to defend the worst behavior. He was FIRED, not castrated. Boo fucking hoo. Let's all cry over Frank Langella losing a single acting job for being unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 51May 8, 2022 10:11 AM

A sex scene involving an 84 year old man? Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 52May 8, 2022 10:18 AM

R48, Netflix has pissed away that kind of money (and more) many times.

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2022 10:20 AM

No, let’s not fuck that!

by Anonymousreply 54May 8, 2022 10:20 AM

I want the manager!

by Anonymousreply 55May 8, 2022 10:29 AM

It wasn't a "touch" touch.

by Anonymousreply 56May 8, 2022 10:46 AM

Touched her? In that way? Our Miss Frankie? No. Nope. No way.

by Anonymousreply 57May 8, 2022 10:55 AM

Tedious old bisexual queen!

by Anonymousreply 58May 8, 2022 10:55 AM

Also interesting that this happened three months in with three weeks to go, not the other way around.

By then, his modus operandi would have been well-established.

by Anonymousreply 59May 8, 2022 11:22 AM

Foof & The Fiddle Fingers — new band name, called it!

by Anonymousreply 60May 8, 2022 11:24 AM

Has Whoopi weighed in on this?

by Anonymousreply 61May 8, 2022 11:25 AM

Whoopi does no kind of weighing these days.

by Anonymousreply 62May 8, 2022 11:26 AM

[quote]Andy Dwyer, now wondering if it should be Fiddle Finger & The Foofs

I would definitely recommend a poll, Andy.

by Anonymousreply 63May 8, 2022 11:27 AM

Was the 84 year old using everyone's preferred pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 64May 8, 2022 11:35 AM

If Langella's testimony is truthfull, and it is possible it isn't, and time should tell whether it is, but if it is, anyone siding with the actress and Netflix needs to eat trash and slag off. If a person gets fired just for touching another person's leg in a scene that requires at least some spontaneity because he/she dared to get invested in the role, then all you , every single one of you, have become prudes and pearl clutchers. Who knew progress would take us into neo-victorianism?

by Anonymousreply 65May 8, 2022 12:21 PM

R48 Pre #Metoo hysteria, I would agree. 2022 , when sets have their own personal "intimacy coordinators" I would not.

by Anonymousreply 66May 8, 2022 12:25 PM

R48, you have hit on the point. There are numerous actors who in the past have gotten away with bad behavior: Nicole Willamson, Frank Langella, Mandy Patinkin, Alec Baldwin, Tony Goldwyn, Russel Crowe, etc. The excuse was always "they're actors" or "I was in the moment". Those excuses don't work any longer. A lot of actors are pissed because they can't get away with the shit they did five years ago.

As far this incident, I am really surprised that Langella was cast in this given his track record. He is notoriously difficult: fights with directors just because he can, has no boundaries with women, often physically out of control/ ignores blocking in fight scenes, treats the crew like shit.

by Anonymousreply 67May 8, 2022 12:46 PM

[quote] the performer who made the accusation is now a liability for future productions. Who wants to hire anyone that sensitive ?

Lol. You have NO idea how Hollywood is currently working. Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 68May 8, 2022 12:58 PM

It’s based on one of Poe’s most morbid and bleak stories, so why does it even have a love-making scene? Do they really have to appease sex-starved, middle-aged women at every cost?

by Anonymousreply 69May 8, 2022 1:03 PM

Boo hoo, consequences, boo hoo.

by Anonymousreply 70May 8, 2022 1:03 PM

R65, scenes of lovemaking and scenes of violence are the two places where no actor is allowed to be spontaneous.

Langella has been around long enough to know that there are consequences if you mess with the intimacy or combat choreography. Sometimes if you are a big enough star, maybe you can get away with something.

But Langella is not as big a star as he thinks.

by Anonymousreply 71May 8, 2022 1:08 PM

R71, He has been getting away with it for decades. I knew someone who was injured by Langella in a fight scene several decades ago. The person was replaced and Langella did not face any consequences.

It is like Alec Baldwin in Entertaining Mr. Sloan. Baldwin's behavior was so violent that Jan Maxwell had to leave the production. Actor's Equity did not protect her. The producers did not protect her. She was the victim and she was the one who had to leave. That would not be the case now. (At least I hope not.)

by Anonymousreply 72May 8, 2022 1:16 PM

If it went EXACTLY how he described, it is aburd. It would be one thing if he put his hand on her cooch or fondled a breast. But, if he simply touched her leg (not her butt), that's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 73May 8, 2022 1:23 PM

You know it did not go exactly as he described R73.

by Anonymousreply 74May 8, 2022 1:27 PM

[quote]the performer who made the accusation is now a liability for future productions. Who wants to hire anyone that sensitive ?

This is par for the course for Gen Z actors.

by Anonymousreply 75May 8, 2022 1:30 PM

R3 I think R3 nailed it. I just read Franks book( ok so I listened to it. Who reads anymore?) he is deeply rooted in the anything goes culture of the sexual revolution of the 60s and 70s. I sympathize, but those days are gone.

by Anonymousreply 76May 8, 2022 1:34 PM

R73, I think you are missing the point. It isn't so much that he put his hand on her leg, as it is that when he was told that he must follow the intimacy choreography exactly, he said that is stupid and I won't do it. If he had even said that is stupid, but OK, he would not have been fired. I suspect that they knew that he would only push the boundaries in the next scene to show just how much contempt he has for intimacy coordinators .

by Anonymousreply 77May 8, 2022 1:36 PM

Bunch of pearl-clutching women in this thread.

"A knee!? Well I never!"

by Anonymousreply 78May 8, 2022 1:41 PM

I wonder how y'all would react if this was a gay love scene and the actor getting the other actor fired was straight.

Who knew the great sexual revolutionaries of yesteryear's as were the gays of the 60's/70's, the ones who not only fought against homophobia but also against prudery and sexual self expression in the arts would be ok with someone being fired for a leg touch.

What have we turned in to?

by Anonymousreply 79May 8, 2022 1:43 PM

R68. Yes, between Covid-19, Cancel Culture, and Intimacy rules…the industry is more mechanical than ever.

by Anonymousreply 80May 8, 2022 1:46 PM

He’s 84 - what kind of a stretch of unemployment could he be facing…

by Anonymousreply 81May 8, 2022 1:47 PM

Again, even if it really was onky about the leg, touch, I doubt it was a one-time thing---I suspect they did numerous takes and he ignored the intimacy coordinator and the director each and every time

by Anonymousreply 82May 8, 2022 1:50 PM

^^only

by Anonymousreply 83May 8, 2022 1:50 PM

If I don't follow the rules where I work I face consequences too, so do most people.

by Anonymousreply 84May 8, 2022 1:51 PM

R73 I didn't read it as that he said it was ridiculous to the intimacy coordinator, just that it was his opinion he was making in the statement. If thats the case then, fine, he didn't follow with the directions and they had every right to fire him (as ridiculous as I think an intimacy coordinator is).

Of course the media Would make it seem like a Me Too thing where it really wasn't because clickbait and who cares about making someone look bad.

In any case people defending him being fired over a leg touch, even if it isnt what transpired, need to rethink their life choices

by Anonymousreply 85May 8, 2022 1:52 PM

Fine! Yes, I was also touching her lips. Fine! Yes, it was with my penis!

by Anonymousreply 86May 8, 2022 1:52 PM

Yeah I'm rereading this and no, he did not refuse any instructions from the "intimacy coordinator". It sounds at best that they had suggested some things but they weren't orders. Langella calling it ridiculous happened awhile after.

by Anonymousreply 87May 8, 2022 2:02 PM

[quote]It isn't so much that he put his hand on her leg, as it is that when he was told that he must follow the intimacy choreography exactly, he said that is stupid and I won't do it.

No, I think you're missing my point. It IS stupid. They're acting, not dancing Swan Lake or fighting with lightsabers.

Again, if he were grabbing something inappropriate, that's a separate matter from a hand on the leg. The action needs to flow naturally within reason. If the action in question is no more intimate than what the coordinator has prescribed and does not fall within specific actions that should not be taken, it is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 88May 8, 2022 2:06 PM

R87, Intimacy coordinators and combat choreographers never make "suggestions." If you are a professional it is expected that you follow the staging exactly.

When someone "improvises" they get shut down immediately, even if their change seems innocuous. The reason is that if they change one little thing, they are likely to change more. A touching the leg can within a few takes become a hand moving somewhere else.

And given Langella's reputation, it is easy to imagine him pushing it further.

by Anonymousreply 89May 8, 2022 2:26 PM

R89, is correct; *however*, it should be noted that there is very little improve in film. One has to hit a mark exactly, face a certain way, etc. It is all about getting the perfect shot. It is not about an actor being spontaneous. Certainly, not spontaneous with physical movements.

by Anonymousreply 90May 8, 2022 2:34 PM

I'm taking Langella at his word that this was all pretty innocuous. I can absolutely see a 20-something actress already being a little creeped out by having to be any type of intimate with an 84-year-old man, and I can see the "intimacy coordinator" moreso choreographing it so "everybody's comfortable" over "what looks natural/good on screen", and I can imagine Langella, being old as dirt, half-heartedly taking what the intimacy coordinator said seriously. I think the leg touch was just a way for the actress to get out of doing the scene.

If he wasn't telling the truth I bet someone would come out and contradict his story.

As an actor you're there to give the director what he wants; in other words, help him bring his vision for the project to life. If Langella was sitting there messing up the scene the director could've checked him. The fact that his firing seemed entirely initiated by the scene partner just sounds like they didn't want to risk bad press of a potential harassment complaint by an actress.

And I'd slightly push back on this idea of there being little to no improv on film. There are plenty of moments in film history where actors have improved a scene that the director liked and kept in. And my guess is some of this just comes down to being a team-player and good sport. Hal Sparks played a sexually-active gay man on Queer as Folk. Imagine if he was super sensitive every time he had to simulate bottoming with another actor. If he got huffy because, in the middle of a sex scene, an actor brushed up against his naked butt, he probably wouldn't have had a job for very long. If I had to do a love scene I'd drop my inhibitions and just go for it. It's just acting.

by Anonymousreply 91May 8, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote] You can always count on DLers to defend the worst behavior.

Fuck off, pansy ass.

by Anonymousreply 92May 8, 2022 3:07 PM

So when is he going to be arrested? We’re waiting.

by Anonymousreply 93May 8, 2022 3:07 PM

[quote] If it went EXACTLY how he described, it is aburd. It would be one thing if he put his hand on her cooch or fondled a breast. But, if he simply touched her leg (not her butt), that's ridiculous.

Even if he touched her butt, big deal. It’s a sex scene. Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 94May 8, 2022 3:09 PM

Some of you are about as dense as cement. Why do you think an intimacy coordinator exists? It is because some actors constantly went too far. The intimacy coordinately has the final say and can override the director. I have seen it happen. Part of the reason for an intimacy coordinator is so a actor or director cannot bully an actress/actor to do something outside her/his comfort zone.

by Anonymousreply 95May 8, 2022 3:20 PM

R95 also…part of the reason for the intimacy coordinator is to reduce legal fees, including settlements. Working for a production is like any other job Insofar as HR’s role,

by Anonymousreply 96May 8, 2022 3:29 PM

R95 - I’m sure it has a lot to do with legal liability on-set as well. I imagine studios are hyper vigilant now.

by Anonymousreply 97May 8, 2022 3:30 PM

This can't possibly be the full story-- merely touching someone's leg while shooting a love scene just doesn't seem like a firing offense. If Frank did something creepy off-camera to her or if he refused to take direction that would be different. Since they were already in the midst of production such behavior would have been apparent early on.

by Anonymousreply 98May 8, 2022 3:42 PM

But did he touch her touch her...

by Anonymousreply 99May 8, 2022 4:32 PM

R95 That's understandable to an extent. I...kind of wonder how often that happened pre-MeToo, because women will go along with something out of fear of what might happen and then claim they were threatened or forced into doing something they deep down didn't want to do (but agreed to).

That aside, some of the legal stuff should be asked and answered once you book the job knowing there's a love scene. I get being creeped out if the script calls for a passionate kiss and then director says, "how about we have the guy rip open your shirt and show your breasts" the day of the shoot. That would be out of line. But if you're an actor, your job is to be a professional and, like I said, give the director what he wants.

If you're going to act precious because, in the due course of acting in a love scene, you get touched accidentally, maybe you need to find another line of work.

by Anonymousreply 100May 8, 2022 4:41 PM

[quote]like I said, give the director what he wants.

And that has historically been the problem. I did a sex scene in a drive-in movie type teen film in the 1970s. It was pretty horrible. You are trying to act like you are really into it while counting beats and trying to remember that the director wants your tongue to move counter clockwise, not clockwise. Nobody said, "I am going to touch you now." At one point a crew member simply walked up and rearranged the actress's breast as if he was shifting a prop pillow. The director, was clearly getting his jollies by making the actress extremely uncomfortable, while talking about her as if she was a piece of meat. I didn't get treated as badly, but it was because he wanted it clear that she was being singled out.

I saw this behavior in several other films. It is a power play of "I am the director. You have to give me what I want. Now, let's see just how far I can push this."

I never did another sex scene, though I was nude in a few other films.

by Anonymousreply 101May 8, 2022 4:55 PM

R91, that is an awful lot of assuming you are doing. And a lot of it does not make sense.

Taking Langella at his word it seems innocuous? Really? Taking Langella at his word, firing him was really all the production company could do.

You also assume that the intimacy coordinator does not care how the action looked? In my experience, it is the opposite. In fact, usually the intimacy pro knows how to stage sex scenes so that they are more convincing. It is just like with combat--a real punch is often less clear and less convincing than one staged with the camera in mind. It is exactly the same with intimacy.

You do seem unaware of how labor law works in the real world. No one gets fired for creating a hostile work environment, getting sexually harassed, using slurs, etc. unless a co--worker complains. So of course such a firing is only likely to happen if another actor complains. If it is Carla Gugino, this is not some prudish shrinking violet. It is a long-time pro who has never shied away from sex scenes. If she complained, you can be sure it was with good reason.

by Anonymousreply 102May 8, 2022 5:27 PM

R101 I can understand that kind of thing might have happened in the 70s. Things have long been different on film sets even before the MeToo movement. And also, some PA walking up and adjusting an actress' boob in the middle of the scene, and a n actress walking off set because her might have gotten touched "inappropriately" in a love scene by an actor, are not the same thing. It's the same thing when people assign this "one size fits all" narrative to women feeling cat-called or harassed by men in public. Being cat-called while walking down the sidewalk is one thing. But I've heard cry MeToo because they got hit on at a bar. And it's like, I'm not saying a woman deserves to feel uncomfortable, but...you're in a bar. Girls get hit on in bars. Don't sign up to do a film with a love scene if you're going to be sensitive about it, is my point. Years ago there was an actor who turned down a part in a TV show because he didn't want to do love scenes out of respect for his wife. That's what he was supposed to do. It would have been wrong for him to take the role and get into the scene then when the actress did the most innocuous thing in a love scene her pretend husband, he freaked out and acted like she was crossing his boundaries. Just don't do the freaking scene! Or shut up and get it done!

R102 I'm taking him at his word because if he's out here saying he just touched her leg, there's a whole crew of people who can and probably would come out to say it was way more than that. They haven't, to my knowledge, contradicted his story. And I'm also certain if he was creating a false narrative whomever wrote the story would've gone to someone involved with the project for comment prior to running the story.

And I absolutely believe a production would rather fire him than have to deal with accusations of not talking sexual harassment seriously. The MeToo/Cancel Culture era is real. When nobody gets to suck it up and deal with it...you get a society of people who don't know how to suck it up and deal with it. Her reaction seems mildly hysterical and their firing him seems like overkill...but who's gonna check either party over being super sensitive and paranoid?

by Anonymousreply 103May 8, 2022 8:03 PM

When I grow up I want to be an Intimacy Coordinator!

by Anonymousreply 104May 8, 2022 8:12 PM

[quote] the intimacy pro knows how to stage sex scenes so that they are more convincing. It is just like with combat--a real punch is often less clear and less convincing than one staged with the camera in mind. It is exactly the same with intimacy.

This is an excellent point and bears repeating R102

by Anonymousreply 105May 8, 2022 8:17 PM

I am fascinated by the rhetorical pretzels people have to make to convince themselves that Langella is a victim.

R101 refers to an actress who might have been touched inappropriately. (Note the passive voice, as if this were an act without a doer.) Langella himself admits he did not do the choreography.

Then the idea is expressed that any actress who signs on to play a sex scene has to accept whatever the other actor does. He knew this was not convincing so he leads into it with an elaborate list of scenarios including getting hit on in a bar.

Sorry, but if having another actor ignore the agreed upon staging is like getting hit on in a bar, that makes it worse, not better.

Maybe R103 has never worked anywhere. It is the only explanation why he would think co-workers would rush forward to contradict Langella. Anyone who has ever worked on a film project, in an office, or for a retailer knows that employees get asked not to comment in any case where there is a termination dispute.

Langella's snowflakiness is sure to attract other snowflakes. But it is fascinating because Langella in his statement admits he did what he was accused of. So they have to do a lot of twisting to somehow make him into the victim. I bet there will be more of this.

by Anonymousreply 106May 8, 2022 8:23 PM

I wonder if he maybe did something more and tried to blame it on his shaky hands, such as pulling her top down and trying to suck her tit?

by Anonymousreply 107May 8, 2022 8:27 PM

That's why you don't smack a girl in the face with your dick.

by Anonymousreply 108May 8, 2022 9:01 PM

r105 r102 Bitches, please.

An intimacy coordinator is not similar to a stunt coordinator. ICs have been around in theatre for years for the reasons you describe...because you don't get retakes in live theatre...but not so for film and television. ICs have been widely adopted recently in film and TV for legal reasons, not to make sex scenes more convincing. Editing makes a sex scene more convincing. Not extreme choreography.

"As defined by SAG-AFTRA, an intimacy coordinator is “an advocate, a liaison between actors and production … in regard to nudity and simulated sex.” Most of their work is done during the shoot, choreographing intimate action, monitoring closed sets and working with costume on modesty garments and prosthetics. But coordinators are also involved in preproduction with filmmakers, planning the types of touching and exposure that will be permitted and managing nudity riders and actor concerns. Though intimacy coordinators have been around in the world of live theater for decades, the role was popularized for film and television after Harvey Weinstein’s sexual misconduct became public in 2017. The first show to announce its employment of an intimacy coordinator was HBO’s second season of The Deuce, about New York City sex workers in the ’70s, which filmed in 2018."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 8, 2022 9:50 PM

More ironic collateral damage from the fuse lit by Billy Bush

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 8, 2022 10:06 PM

R109, you are confusing stunt work with fight choreography. There is some overlap, but they are different. The article itself contributes to the confusion.

A good intimacy coordinator does not do "extreme choreography." Their main concern is convincing sex that does not impinge on peoples boundaries. Combat choreography does exactly the same with violence. It is not about making "extreme choreography" but rather convincing violence that does not impinge on people's boundries--i.e. it stays safe.

Both combat and intimacy coordinators often work in preproduction. Often both are engaged in preproduction planning.

The article claims that intimacy choreography has been in the theater for decades. This is not true. It started being used a little over half a decade ago. My first experience with intimacy choreography was in a film about a decade ago on three different film projects.

If you read old actor/director biographies and books like Hitchcock/Truffaut, you realize that sex on screen was often choreographed for how it looked onscreen. (The kiss in North by Northwest is often cited as an example of how precise and rehearsed this work can be.) So even before we had specialists, higher-end films did indeed have intimacy coordination even if it was not called that.

Both combat and intimacy work came out of the need for actor safety. And if you look at when fight choreography started you had the same nay-sayers saying this should be left to the actors and directors to work out.

by Anonymousreply 111May 8, 2022 10:27 PM

[quote]I wonder how y'all would react if this was a gay love scene and the actor getting the other actor fired was straight.

If you can't make your case by discussing what has actually happened, and instead have to make up some other scenario as a what-if, then you don't have a case.

We don't really know what happened here. We have Langella's side which is going to be biased, and rumor, and that's it.

Intimacy coordinators have been around since 2016, but there were already union rules and general protocols in place in film, and similar jobs in theater prior to the job called "intimacy coordinator." Think about the time Chris Pratt decided Amy Poehler wasn't acting her scene well enough so he went on set actually nude to surprise her, and the union got involved because you can't be nude on set without others being aware of this. He bitched and whined about that, too, but they were right.

by Anonymousreply 112May 8, 2022 10:34 PM

[quote] the time Chris Pratt decided Amy Poehler wasn't acting her scene well enough so he went on set actually nude to surprise her, and the union got involved because you can't be nude on set without others being aware of this.

And the network still gave Chris their approval by airing the shot. Not firing him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 8, 2022 11:08 PM

R113 did anyone come out and complain about it?

by Anonymousreply 114May 8, 2022 11:12 PM

It does seem to be gross old guys catching cancellation ire for much less than HW level assault - Langella, Tambor, Murray, Garlin.

Is that because they grossly overstep boundaries? Or they're too gross to get away with it?

by Anonymousreply 115May 9, 2022 12:05 AM

R115 it's what they would be fired for in any other industry.

by Anonymousreply 116May 9, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote]He's 84, not like he's still able to get it up.

You've obviously never worked with the elderly. Old guys love to act like they're still studs, regardless of actual ability, and he might have a Viagra prescription.

by Anonymousreply 117May 9, 2022 3:56 AM

I remember being a teen gay seeing a movie where Frank Langella goes down on Rebecca De Mornay on a pool table. It made me cum so hard!!!

by Anonymousreply 118May 9, 2022 2:12 PM

I don't think it's Carla Gugino. She's a pro and would have taken up the issue with Langella instead of storming off set.

Word on the street is it's Willa Fitzgerald. She's 31 and seems to mainly do TV parts.

by Anonymousreply 119May 10, 2022 4:12 PM

Maybe she Willa and maybe she Won’ta

by Anonymousreply 120May 10, 2022 5:55 PM

R119 oh she’s that total bore of an actress who played the cop in Reacher. I could see it: Nashville native, prep school, Yale BFA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 12, 2022 5:48 AM

He harassed me with his eyes!

by Anonymousreply 122May 12, 2022 7:22 AM

[quote]Langella said that he had been “canceled,” and that the harm to him has been “incalculable,” including losing a thrilling part, facing a stretch of unemployment and suffering a tarnished reputation. These indignities, he said, are “the real definition of unacceptable behavior.”

Unemployment? LOL. WTF? You're SUPPOSED to be unemployed at 84 years old.

by Anonymousreply 123May 12, 2022 5:53 PM

At most jobs, you do what you’re told or you’re out. He was told what to do, went rogue, and was fired.

Tale as old as time…

by Anonymousreply 124May 12, 2022 6:21 PM

If that is the actress what kind of perverse bs film for him is it to have a sex scene with someone 50 yrs his junior. Who needs to see that?

by Anonymousreply 125May 13, 2022 12:12 PM

^That would be too gross to watch.

by Anonymousreply 126May 14, 2022 8:52 AM

"What have we turned in to?"

I figure this was the M A R Y !-est thing a rightwinger was going to spew on this thread. So I'm out.

Thanks for the laughs.

Honorable mention to the troll who said they couldn't wait for rightwingers to take over so cancel culture would be over.

Honey, cancel culture BEGAN because an admitted rapist became president. You think that shit is going to settle down when the pro-rape party gets back into power?

Ahhhh....

by Anonymousreply 127May 14, 2022 9:20 AM

R127 Who? Nixon?

by Anonymousreply 128May 14, 2022 9:34 AM

[quote] If that is the actress what kind of perverse bs film for him is it to have a sex scene with someone 50 yrs his junior. Who needs to see that?

It’s literally Edgar Allen Poe, r125.

by Anonymousreply 129May 14, 2022 10:40 AM

EAP only lived to be 40 y/o.

by Anonymousreply 130May 14, 2022 3:20 PM

r125 It’s not 1990s skineMax. They are fully clothed in the scene and “tumble onto the bed.”

by Anonymousreply 131May 14, 2022 3:27 PM

What did tony Goldwyn and Mandy Patikin do? @R67

by Anonymousreply 132May 14, 2022 3:41 PM

Mandy was notorious. Perhaps the most severe example was biting Toni Collette's lip so hard as to draw blood during The Wild Party. Of course his excuse was that he was "in the moment".

Tony Goldwyn is a sex pest. He tends to go after the crew, not actors.

by Anonymousreply 133May 14, 2022 4:41 PM

The problem is that so many people have decided that sex is the most evil and destructive thing in the world.

by Anonymousreply 134May 14, 2022 5:02 PM

[quote] R48, you have hit on the point. There are numerous actors who in the past have gotten away with bad behavior: Nicole Willamson, Frank Langella, Mandy Patinkin, Alec Baldwin, Tony Goldwyn, Russel Crowe, etc. The excuse was always "they're actors" or "I was in the moment". Those excuses don't work any longer. A lot of actors are pissed because they can't get away with the shit they did five years ago

Don’t forget Tom Hardy.

by Anonymousreply 135May 14, 2022 5:15 PM

Sec should be banned at this rate. It’s so damn evil.

by Anonymousreply 136June 5, 2022 3:39 AM

Sec?

by Anonymousreply 137June 5, 2022 4:52 AM

Sec(retions) (?)

by Anonymousreply 138June 5, 2022 5:23 AM

I bet a smile crossed Frank's face on hearing of the Depp/Hear verdict.

by Anonymousreply 139June 5, 2022 5:43 AM

Usually I'm not down with men being fired for these types of things.

However, in this case, Frank Langella was aware of the intimacy coordinator going in to the project. He's intelligent enough to be aware that there is a new set of rules, and that now happens to be a pretty sensitive and raw time.

If he didn't want to have to deal with the new reality- fine. Dont do the project. Its seems that, at best he blatantly disregarded the rules, and at worst he actually did it on purpose to prove some point.

Great Frank. You've proved your point, and ended your career on this charming note

by Anonymousreply 140June 5, 2022 6:00 AM

Tony Goldwyn is a creep? Since when?

by Anonymousreply 141July 3, 2022 4:12 PM

R136, Triple sec should certainly be banned. Only Cointreau or Grand Marnier will do.

by Anonymousreply 142July 3, 2022 4:25 PM

I never liked Langella but this is acting. not working in an office. If you're really playing a love scene, and you're in the moment, of course you're trying to be spontaneous. Hopefully you're not thinking about what the "intimacy coordinator" laid down. The worst part, here, to me, is people defending this whole practice. Are you serious? He didn't deserve to be fired for this. He put his hand on her leg. Just answer who this hurt and what was the harm? People acting like he raped her. And what's with all this slavish rule-making and rule-following behavior? And people not being allowed to make mistakes and apologize. Y'all want to live in this kind of world? Wait until it happens to you.

by Anonymousreply 143July 3, 2022 5:07 PM

Wow, Whoopi sure can pick 'em ...can't she?

by Anonymousreply 144July 3, 2022 6:49 PM

R143 I'm with you. It's puritanism redux.

by Anonymousreply 145July 3, 2022 10:01 PM

[quote]R143 If you're really playing a love scene, and you're in the moment, of course you're trying to be spontaneous. Hopefully you're not thinking about what the "intimacy coordinator" laid down.

We are talking about professional actors, here… not how you yourself wistfully imagine acting should be from the sidelines of your community theater.

Professionally acted love scenes are meticulously planned, and have been for years and years.

Don’t grab.

by Anonymousreply 146July 4, 2022 12:31 AM

He grabbed her leg, R146.

Her. Leg.

Go clutch your pearls elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 147July 4, 2022 1:32 AM

Hell, I would've taken his and shoved it up my snatch.

by Anonymousreply 148July 4, 2022 1:40 AM

As if I needed another reason to hate animal abuser Chris Pratt @ r113. Why can't HE get cancelled with all his noise?

by Anonymousreply 149July 4, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote]We are talking about professional actors, here… not how you yourself wistfully imagine acting should be from the sidelines of your community theater. Professionally acted love scenes are meticulously planned, and have been for years and years.

I have no doubt you know that because I'm sure you've been around for years and years, yourself.

by Anonymousreply 150July 4, 2022 2:23 AM

[quote]R147 He grabbed her leg, [R146]. Her. Leg.

And he wasn’t allowed to.

Byyyeeeee.

by Anonymousreply 151July 4, 2022 3:07 AM

And maybe the rules are stupid.

Does nobody believe in rebelling against anything rules any more or are you all just consitioned by your helicopter parenting to always do what you're told because mommy may be watching?

by Anonymousreply 152July 4, 2022 3:57 AM

Well you know what I meant.

by Anonymousreply 153July 4, 2022 4:25 AM

He was fired, not canceled. We can argue whether he deserves to be fired for that indiscretion, but he was fired for a clear reason.

by Anonymousreply 154July 4, 2022 4:28 AM

[quote]R152 Does nobody believe in rebelling against rules any more

Well, not when it comes to committing sexual harassment, no.

by Anonymousreply 155July 4, 2022 4:28 AM

R155 Explain how that constitutes sexual harassment. Actual sexual harassment, not the bullshit that people call sexual harassment nowadays because they can get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 156July 4, 2022 4:39 AM

Touching someone at work in an intimate way you’ve been told not to is sexual harassment. You know, like what happened here.

by Anonymousreply 157July 4, 2022 4:43 AM

Yet another reason women aren’t taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 158July 4, 2022 4:52 AM

R157 "Someone at work." You realize this is a passionate scene being played by actors, right? They're already touching each other and are playing feelings and emotions that are sexual. It's not the same as being in an office, discussing business. In that case, putting your hand on someone's knee would be totally inappropriate. But this is not an office.

by Anonymousreply 159July 4, 2022 4:55 AM

[quote] Langella said that he had been “canceled,” and that the harm to him has been “incalculable,” including losing a thrilling part

Well, if he’d performed the role the way they’d all agreed upon, he’d still have it.

But he didn’t, so he doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 160July 4, 2022 5:02 AM

Apparently the cast and crew were jubilant when Mr. Langella was replaced. Players were requesting intimacy coordinators be on set to block scenes that weren’t even sexual in nature.

Everyone was sick of him, his “graphic and misogynistic” jokes/observations, his constant touching…

[quote] One word consistently used by virtually everyone when describing Langella’s behavior was “toxic”

[quote] “He asked cast members about their sexual experiences,” a source at the production told Deadline. Added another: “He spoke graphically about his own sexual history to many people even as they were trying to get out of those conversations.”

[quote] One scene involved a discussion about a character that had gone to the bar. “Frank added during the blocking, ‘And then she took off all her clothes and f*cked the whole bar in front of the whole crew.’ No one laughed. There was no joke to set it up, it was just a thing he said,” an eyewitness told Deadline.

It just goes on and on…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 4, 2022 5:29 AM

R161 oh my...oh gracious...oh no.....say a Hail Mary and think of England..go to church and pray the sex away!!!!!!!!

Honestly embarrassed to be part of this generation

by Anonymousreply 162July 4, 2022 6:08 AM

Is it possible he grabbed her leg to keep his balance, upright? He is old.

by Anonymousreply 163July 4, 2022 7:15 AM

Yeah the article above gives a bit more context - I was extremely dubious he was fired for just touching a leg out of turn, especially if they had already filmed stuff that they then had to go back and redo - it definitely made me think there was a lot more to the story.

by Anonymousreply 164July 4, 2022 9:14 AM

I would have thought they could have just bought him out of his contract / and kept the matter quiet.

This makes everyone look like idiots.

I would imagine Langella's career is toast. He has 3 or 4 Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 165July 4, 2022 11:14 AM

R143, apparently you have never done an intimate scene on film. Maybe on stage you can be spontaneous in the way you describe (though it would be unprofessional), on film intimate scenes are usually the most tightly framed shots in the film. That means it is very choreographed,.

No one wants me to do scenes like that anymore because I am too old. But I did my share and if your hand went in the wrong place, it might be out of frame and ruin the shot. Frank has also done his share and after a few decades should be used to sticking to the camera blocking.

I guarantee you that he might put his hand in the wrong place, but he would never put his face in the wrong place. Even when he was young, he was very vain about how he was lit and would never think of changing blocking that would put his face somewhere where the lighting was not just so.

by Anonymousreply 166July 4, 2022 1:43 PM

[quote] R125 If that is the actress what kind of perverse bs film for him is it to have a sex scene with someone 50 yrs his junior.

[quote]R129 It’s literally Edgar Allen Poe.

Yes. Poe married a 13-year-old (skeevy as that sounds.)

by Anonymousreply 167July 4, 2022 6:14 PM

Look, Langella is finally getting called out by the younger generation, and I am here for it!

Oh, and Whoopi has gross, old saggy tits. Langella's balls are falling to the ground.

by Anonymousreply 168July 4, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote]R165 I would have thought they could have just bought him out of his contract and kept the matter quiet. This makes everyone look like idiots.

How does upholding industry standards make Netflix look idiotic? If anything, it shows they’re producers who will look out for the professionals they hire. That’s attractive.

by Anonymousreply 169July 4, 2022 6:28 PM

[quote]R168 Look, Langella is finally getting called out by the younger generation, and I am here for it!

In short, Langella’s not a big enough star to get away with doing whatever he wants on set. He’s an elderly stage actor and there’s plenty more where he came from.

Sometimes producers will hang onto abusive stars who deliver commercially, like CBS did with Michael Weatherly (despite having to pay Eliza Dushku $9.5 million for his sexual harassment of her on the set of “Bull”.) But Langella is NOT in that lucrative, indulged category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 4, 2022 6:44 PM

Wasn't Bull cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 171July 4, 2022 6:58 PM

After 6 seasons, yes.

If I’m correct, Eliza Dushku was in the final 3 episodes of Season 1, with a deal to do additional seasons. So the large payout wasn’t simply punitive for harassment, but lost salary for those upcoming seasons she was dropped from.

Weatherly had Dushku fired when she objected to him repeatedly “joking” that he wanted to get her in his “rape van” etc. (There was a whole slew of incidents, many captured on tape between takes.)

by Anonymousreply 172July 4, 2022 7:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!