Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Be The British Empire

I'm Sir Edward Grey trying to keep the empire where the sun never sets intact.

"The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our life-time"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 10, 2024 1:52 AM

Let's not.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2022 3:23 PM

R1 Ok, Germany.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2022 3:25 PM

[quote] Ok, Germany.

Things were better under the Kaiser.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2022 3:26 PM

I'm this bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2022 3:26 PM

I'm the Irish. Fuck off to hell and back, OP. The British are murderous pigs who've done exponentially more harm than good, and we'd all be better off without them.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2022 3:30 PM

I'm the Americans obsessed with the British Empire now that Britons have long since stopped thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2022 3:37 PM

Empires fall into the dust bin of history for a reason...

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2022 3:37 PM

We're priceless works of art stolen from cultures in countries all over the world and stashed in museums and private collections in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2022 3:37 PM

I'm Cecil Rhodes, a believer of the supremacy of the British white race. And, believe me, I wasn't the only one. I helped make British South Africa great, at the expense of the native blacks.

[Quote]An ardent believer in British imperialism, Rhodes and his British South Africa Company founded the southern African territory of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe and Zambia), which the company named after him in 1895.

[Quote]Rhodes explicitly believed in the superiority of white English people over all others, especially sub-Saharan Africans.He infamously said "to be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2022 3:38 PM

I'm the film Gandhi (1982) that really put to light how bad the Empire was to India. Sir John Gielgud did the Empire justice right?

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2022 3:52 PM

I'm the industrial and post-empire age, 1820-2020, 200 years of the worst fucking taste in architecture the world has ever seen.

I'm born of stick-in-the-mud philistinism and rabid Francophobia with a little yank-bashing mixed in and a hatred of - but inexplicable inability to stop building - windowless heaps of piss-stained cement.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2022 4:08 PM

"What have the Romans ever done for us"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2022 4:08 PM

The British Empire is responsible for influencing the white Southern culture of the United States. Everything evil can be traced back to Britain.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2022 4:32 PM

R13 Please elaborate? How so?

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2022 4:53 PM

I'm the Parliamentary system of government that all those colonies adopted.

And along with that came new institutions of modern post-industrial life, i.e., common law, property rights security, contract enforcement, and banking and trading practices. Without those, it is likely that the economic growth the former colonies achieved would have been much, much slower.

But, hey, don't let that stop everyone from insisting that racism in America was strictly a product of English culture . . . after all, the colourism that was present in the Far East and places like India long before any Englishman got there is a figment of the imagination.

No one else ever thought of it! Everyone got along fine until a few English immigrants made it across the Atlantic!

And, antisemitism, too! Everyone knows that all those ghettoes and pogroms in the wilds of Eastern Europe were strictly an English import!

I mean, really: the Far East, the Middle East, Africa . . .they were all Gardens of Eden until the English got there.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2022 5:40 PM

I say!

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2022 5:42 PM

check out the white supremacist POS at r15. Do you have a Margaret Thatcher poster by your bed too, you bitter old queen?

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2022 5:49 PM

Don't forget the Brits supported the Confederacy during the Civil War.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2022 5:55 PM

I’m the Balfour Declaration, the granddaddy of big trouble in the MidEast…

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2022 6:01 PM

I'm the Sun, the only thing all them poofs have never gone down on.

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2022 6:32 PM

R18 The Brits did not support or recognize the confederacy.

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2022 7:07 PM

you may want to brush up on that R21. You can also get this info on the Smithsonian site.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 5, 2022 7:21 PM

r9 beat me to it, so I'm going to be the globe Cecil Rhodes is jizzing all over while murmuring, "All red, all red...THAT is my dream".

(English globes of the period showed all the territories of the British Empire in red.)

by Anonymousreply 23May 5, 2022 7:22 PM

Are you British R21? If so I'm sure your school history lesson brushed over or completely ignored that business.

by Anonymousreply 24May 5, 2022 7:23 PM

r24 Its covered in regards to how it caused the cotton famine. Not sure why you think people should only be aware of the 2% of human history schools shove down kids necks though.

by Anonymousreply 25May 5, 2022 7:30 PM

I'm the tall hairy hot muscular sex slave to the Roman Governor of Brigantes in Bath.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2022 7:33 PM

Whoops wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2022 7:36 PM

[quote]Not sure why you think people should only be aware of the 2% of human history schools shove down kids necks though.

Huh? Where did I say that? You make zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2022 7:36 PM

I'm The Adventuress trying to marry into the BRF. Sometimes I don't succeed but sometimes I do.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2022 7:39 PM

r28 Well why would you be surprised British people can have some vague awareness of foreign policy during the American civil war just because its not overly covered in schools? Weirdly saying that I've just had a flashback to doing the American West of all things in GCSE history, though I'm pretty sure that's because the teacher realised he could just put Dances with Wolves on and not teach.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2022 7:42 PM

I'm the fourth son of my aristo family. The Empire is where they send me. I go to the dogs: Drink, native boys, failed businesses, venereal disease, a sweaty death in a grass hut.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2022 7:43 PM

R30 I have no doubt that it's taught but not surprised it's not covered in depth.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2022 7:47 PM

I'm the pale-skinned, red-headed Scots military officer in his third year in India who gets gang-banged every weekend by the Sikh sepoys under his command.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2022 7:57 PM

Did Cecil Rhodes want to somehow reconquer the USA?

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2022 9:03 PM

The English are the scumbags of the planet. Vile country.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2022 10:56 PM

There is still a certain type of British person who basks in the reflected glory of slavery, people trafficking, indentured labour and ransacking of resources. They tend to read the Daily Mail.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2022 12:54 AM

I'm Sir Edward Elgar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 9, 2024 1:07 AM

I'm Simla, the summer capital of British India located in the foothills of the Himalayas. The British ruling class would relocate there every summer in order to beat the summer heat.

They'd rather travel all the way up there than sweat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 9, 2024 1:28 AM

"Poor people wouldn't be poor if they knew how to spend money"

Sir Oswald Vernon Edgeware in conversation with Lord Maxwell Hubert Carmichael and Sir Hillary Leslie Godfrey over brandy and cigars by the fire. Elgar plays in the background.

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2024 7:08 PM

What an utterly bizarre thread to bump after long periods of time. This sort of Anglophilia is obsolete and beyond played out.

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2024 7:11 PM

I’m the biggest empire of all time.

by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2024 1:36 AM

The British Empire Fucks were the worst fucking scumbags in the history of empires

Ruining the world, killing millions, for the benefit of their pathetic elites.

You destroyed your own grasping empire for your own cupidity.

To become sad desperate American toadies after two failed world wars.

Losers.

by Anonymousreply 42July 10, 2024 1:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!