Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Is Julie Kavner Such A Cuntasaurus?

She thinks 'cause she was "friendly" with Woody Allen that makes her special.

by Anonymousreply 72May 11, 2022 1:07 PM

She's also the biggest asshole on a voice cast that includes Xenu-loving Nancy Cartwright and epic dickhead Harry Shearer.

While the rest of the cast are happy to sign autographs and do publicity for the show and its fans, Julie Kavner refuses. She's reclusive and aloof, and has always maintained that she never watches the show. She just does one or two voices, cashes the check, and goes back to waiting for Woody to call her again. Listen to her appearances on the DVD commentaries. She doesn't give a fuck about any of it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2022 1:53 PM

I always wondered why Nancy Cartwright, Dan Castellaneta, Hank Azaria and others can do multiple characters. Yet Julie Kavner only voices Marge, her mom and her sisters and Yeardly Smith only voices Lisa. Why didn't they do more roles?

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2022 2:01 PM

Is this thread just a cut & paste of a comment from somewhere else? I swear I've seen it before.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2022 2:06 PM

Isn’t she close to 80 now? I believe she and Joyce DeWitt’s ex-boyfriend are the only ones left from the Rhoda cast.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2022 2:08 PM

She's clearly ancient. Marge sounds like she had a stroke in the recent seasons.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2022 2:11 PM

If she is such a diva, they should replace her with Kate Jackson. Kate needs the income and doesn’t have much else going on, except for Fridays when she checks the DL for new replies.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2022 2:12 PM

For R2: Yeardley did an interview years ago in which she said she could not disguise her voice well enough to do others. She apparently worked with a voice coach, to no avail.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2022 3:13 PM

Marge is a very bland character. She just exists to be a foil to Bart, Homer and Lisa. She ended up being the worst case of Flanderization because she used to be just emotionally repressed who would occasionally have episodes of lashing out and rebelling against her homemaker role. Now she's just a boring wet blanket obsessed with rules who puts with Homer's nonsense as opposed to steering him in the right direction like she used to. If Julie Kavner is hands-off, that explains a lot on to why the writers devolved Marge's character. A lot of times, the actors are the ones who help develop the character. Compare it to Family Guy where while Lois and Meg got exaggerated, they still have plenty of spotlight episodes that can flesh them out.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2022 5:32 PM

Maybe it's just a job to her and she does it and goes home?

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2022 8:38 PM

R4 I have google, and I just searched - she's 71

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2022 8:41 PM

I remember the episode where Marge was super homophobic to her sister Selma who came out as a lesbian. I thought it was funny how Marge was fine with all the gay dudes getting married and being friends with her like Smithers. Yet was unaccepting of her sister. Pretty brilliant commentary on fraus and Karens who love gay men but wouldn't want their sisters or daughters to be lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2022 9:19 PM

She came into my shop about 10 years ago. She overheard me whisper to a coworker who she was and she promptly stood up and left.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2022 9:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2022 9:39 PM

She's always been quirky to an extent. But she seemed to get really reclusive and Garbo-esque after The Simpsons had been on for a few years.

When she was doing Rhoda, and the Tracey Ullman Show, she was more public and accessible.

I do have to give her props for giving interviews to promote Rhoda when it was coming out on DVD though, where she talked about how much she loved Valerie, Nancy and Harold Gould and how great they were to work with. She clearly didn't have to be bothered (she certainly didn't need the money). I don't think she's a bitch at all, but just someone who's just uncomfortable with a certain level of fame.

Love this Emmy win clip. The guy sitting next to her looks like he's trying to rip her head off her body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2022 9:53 PM

[quote]I always wondered why Nancy Cartwright, Dan Castellaneta, Hank Azaria and others can do multiple characters. Yet Julie Kavner only voices Marge, her mom and her sisters

R2 Marge, her mom, and two sisters ARE multiple characters!

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2022 10:08 PM

[quote]Maybe it's just a job to her and she does it and goes home?

Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2022 10:08 PM

R15 And they all sound alike. Marge's mother and Patty and Selma have the exact same voice which is the same as Marge's voice but even more deepened and gravelly to emphasize they are chain-smokers.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2022 10:12 PM

[quote]Why Is Julie Kavner Such A Cuntasaurus?

OP, she's not a 'cuntasaurus' AND she doesn't know you. What is your grudge?

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2022 10:12 PM

I love the Simpsons but they all need to pack it in at this point. It's tired. They're tired. We're tired.

I say this as a 20+ year fan with collectibles.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2022 10:15 PM

I do prefer the earlier seasons. Because it was meant to be more subversive of the Reagan-era family sitcom setup in the same vein of Roseanne and Married... with Children. Characterization was strong and many episodes were touching. Today, it became exactly what it was trying to parody, a generic sitcom and Fox just has it on autopilot. It needs to let out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2022 10:22 PM

I do think she has some sort of a personality disorder. A good friend worked on Rhoda and said she was loathed and at one cast party started pushing some people.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2022 10:39 PM

When Valerie was sick and begged her for a part on "the Simpsons" to get insurance, Julie was all like, "Make sure it's a tiny nothing so that bitch doesn't steal the show from me."

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2022 10:47 PM

She’s a very good and successful character actress who wants to maintain a stable private life- the OP and a number of posters on this thread are dumb trolls- far too many on DL these days.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2022 11:08 PM

R22 I seriously doubt Valerie Harper had to go begging to keep her SAG insurance active. She was once married to Richard Schaal, an actor and senior leader in the union. He would've made some calls to get her work, and/or a waiver for insurance coverage.

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2022 11:21 PM

R22 Having said that, it appears Valerie Harper has indeed joined the background cast of the show in recent years.

Don't blame me. I stopped watching after they did a "Sommersby" about Principal Skinner.

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2022 11:22 PM

Valerie and Julie remained close after they finished Rhoda.

Here's Valerie supporting Julie at the premiere of Julie's only leading role movie "This Is My Life".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2022 11:39 PM

Love the photo at R26's post. I never have really watched or paid much attention to "The Simpsons," so I really just think of "Rhoda" and Julie's 'Brenda' character, and all the interactions and angst between her, Rhoda and the other animated regulars and characters on that show, especially in its couple of later seasons. The show just dripped of 1970s atmosphere and nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2022 12:12 AM

R22, I do believe you are lying through your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2022 12:18 AM

The Simpsons voice actors basically lucked into the greatest gig ever. Who knew what the Simpsons would become when they were doing Simpsons shorts on the Tracey Ullman Show?

Kavner is a semi-recluse who lives in an isolated area on Long Island and records her lines over the phone. Then she gets a nice check for $300,000 per episode. A dream job.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2022 12:22 AM

I’ve been to recording sessions for The Simpsons. They don’t all always show up so there are vocal stand-ins for the people not there. The vocal stand-ins sound exactly like the normal actors. I don’t know how the regulars were able to negotiate the big money.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2022 12:24 AM

R19, I'm a huge fan of the 'golden age' Simpsons, and I agree, it needs to end. I think it should have ended with season 9. Apparently it's still on today because the Tapped Out game makes a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2022 12:28 AM

Valerie Harper was always highly complimentary of her, stating that Kavner was one of the best scene partners she had in her career. Anne Meara also had good things to say from her time on 'Rhoda,' and Gaby Hoffmann has fond memories of playing her daughter in 'This is My Life.' James L. Brooks, Tracey Ullman, and Woody Allen would not have wanted to work with her again and again if she were some attitude-having diva.

In her rare interviews, she always comes across well to me -- shy, yes, but thoughtful and with a good sense of humor. I loved this segment she did with Joy Behar in the early '90s, in which she seems more relaxed than she usually does in interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2022 12:33 AM

When was she last seen? I'm curious about that.

Marge sounds like she's been dying a slow death. I don't know if Julie Kavner is sick or smokes but it sounds like it's killing her to do the voice of Marge at this point.

Julie Kavner is her own chick. She's like a Garbo type lifestyle wise at this point but whenever she speaks people would probably figure out who she is. Odd quandary that. I can't fault her for living her own life on her own terms though.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote]When was she last seen? I'm curious about that.

In the last twenty years, she showed up for the premiere of The Simpsons movie and did the Actors Studio (leaving when they asked her to do the voice of Marge). She also did a play with Marlo Thomas on Broadway that had a limited run.

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2022 1:08 AM

Julie was great in Awakenings. If she did nothing else, she deserves praise for that role.

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote]Valerie Harper was always highly complimentary of her,

That is to Valerie's credit and has nothing to do with Julie

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2022 9:30 AM

Richard Schaal died long before Valerie

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2022 9:31 AM

Does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2022 10:08 AM

[quote] She also did a play with Marlo Thomas on Broadway that had a limited run.

I don’t know about Julie but it’s been confirmed that Marlo is the Godzilla of all cunts who ever walked the earth.

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2022 12:11 PM

[quote] and at one cast party started pushing some people.

Well I hope she pushed Ron Silver who became a big Bush supporter at the end of his life.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2022 3:23 PM

r19 They should have evolved the characters...

but 'cartoons' (even most tv shows) are afraid of taking "the for better or worse" route... vs attempts to keep them forever young.

But they really jumped the shark with the who killed mr. burns cliffhanger... anyone recall how big of a deal that was as it spilled into a massive campaign??

and the backlash after he survived...

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2022 3:33 PM

Julie Kavner is very wealthy, she can do any damn thing she pleases, it's her call, and she's earned the right to be a cuntasaurus. Good for you, Julie. :-)

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2022 3:56 PM

Team Julie as well, r42. What silly things to bash someone for.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2022 4:02 PM

r43

She never married God only knows what she does in her spare time.

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2022 6:18 PM

She thinks she is too good to have to promote "the Simpsons." Not a team player.

She uses a picture of her from 1974 in her Wikipedia page. Go ahead try to change it. It will be changed back by her ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2022 6:19 PM

She never married but she's been with the same man since the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]She thinks she is too good to have to promote "the Simpsons." Not a team player.

The Simpsons has been on for 32 years, r45. I'm sure she's considered a team player where it counts.

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2022 7:52 PM

R45 Can you trace that IP address?

The woman is a near-recluse who rarely gets her photo taken. It's hard to find good photos of her since the Nora Ephron days.

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2022 8:47 PM

Julie has been with David Davis a producer on Rhoda, MTM and other shows since 1975, so...she's pretty much as good as married...

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2022 8:59 PM

Marge Simpson is a national treasure and the majority of credit goes to Julie.

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2022 10:54 PM

Just saying, I worked with Julie Kavner on a small project back in 1999 and she was the sweetest, warmest and most generous actor one could hope for. I've never been a Simpsons fan so I have no idea if she was even doing the show back then.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2022 11:00 PM

Fear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2022 11:07 PM

Marge and Homer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2022 11:29 PM

She seems like an introvert from the anecdotes here. A lot of introverted people come across as rude or cold but it's they just internalize a lot. They aren't great at small talk and too much interaction drains them. Especially in the entertainment field, where you have intrusive fans or have to do nonstop promotion. Also she's old now, so clearly isn't going to have the energy to go to every convention. Given she never voiced any characters except the Marge and her family. She doesn't seem interested in voice acting in general.

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2022 11:35 PM

She lucked out, because she's got a face for radio.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2022 12:03 AM

Julie Kavner was on David Letterman in the early '90s and he asked her about her unwillingness to perform her Marge voice on camera. She said she does not wish to destroy the illusion of the character by having the voice come from her mouth; he said "that's a load of crap," she laughed, and did the voice with her back to the camera. She does have a sense of humor about things, and if she does not wish to promote the show any more -- 33 years (!) after it began -- I do not blame her.

Also, if you want to get a sense of how a performer is perceived in the industry, look them up as subjects on the Television Academy's website. Many of the interviewees are old and cannot be bothered to mince words when it comes to their former co-workers -- the directors, writers, and actors from 'Rhoda' and 'Tracey Ullmann' have nothing but good things to say about Kavner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2022 2:18 AM

I don't remember what show, but Kathy Najimy was asked to do Peggy Hill and she wouldn't. I wish she had because I can't picture Peggy Hill's voice coming out of Kathy Najimy.

by Anonymousreply 57May 6, 2022 2:34 AM

(Younger) Julie Kavner almost sounds like Natasha Lyonne's character in Russian Doll

by Anonymousreply 58May 6, 2022 3:09 AM

R58 I came here to comment the same thing. Louise Lasser has some similarities to this type of voice too.

by Anonymousreply 59May 6, 2022 1:54 PM

r58, I actually thought her role on "rhoda" was a model for the Natasha character

by Anonymousreply 60May 6, 2022 1:59 PM

[quote] She’s a very good and successful character actress who wants to maintain a stable private life- the OP and a number of posters on this thread are dumb trolls- far too many on DL these days.

Relax, I suspect there are no genuine Julie Kavner haters in this thread. This is just what the DL does.

by Anonymousreply 61May 6, 2022 3:37 PM

I was at the Inside The Actors Studio shooting. It lasted 6 hours. I think Kavner left just to go to the bathroom. Everybody did all their voices and they answered the questions as themselves and as each character. That's why it lasted so long. I didn't watch the edited version that aired.

by Anonymousreply 62May 8, 2022 9:40 AM

I ran into her a few years ago.

She was surprised to be recognized and really very lovely to me. It was right after the death of Valerie and she took my hand when she talked about doing Rhoda and seemed pleased to be recognized for that role.

I did not mention the Simpsons as I have never watched it. I got the Rhoda boxed set on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 63May 8, 2022 9:55 AM

Total introvert and recluse. And rich AF. She lives on a secluded island with only 2500 full time residents.

by Anonymousreply 64May 8, 2022 11:02 AM

Weird that there are people who have never watched the Simpsons, at least once or twice. The show has been on for over 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 65May 8, 2022 1:32 PM

She reminds me of how Bea Arthur would behave during the filming of The Golden Girls in regards to The Simpsons.

I had Nancy Cartwright's autobiography (My Life as a Ten Year Old Boy) which was released over 20 years ago and she says that she, Dan, Julie and Yeardly are not close to each other in real life.

It wasn't due to disliking each other. I can't remember the actual reason she gave because it's been a while since I read it. But since that was over 20 years ago things may have changed between the four of them.

Julie Kavner also never does live script readings as Marge. She either walks off stage or just sits there silently while Tress MacNeille does Marge. Her impression of Marge is almost to identical to how Julie sounded in the 90's when she did the voice.

by Anonymousreply 66May 8, 2022 1:42 PM

[quote]so...she's pretty much as good as married...

If she was as good as married she'd be married. Obviously she's covering up, probably a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 67May 8, 2022 4:48 PM

[quote]She said she does not wish to destroy the illusion of the character by having the voice come from her mouth; he said "that's a load of crap," she laughed

He's right her Marge voice is 99% her real voice.

by Anonymousreply 68May 8, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote]Julie Kavner also never does live script readings as Marge. She either walks off stage or just sits there silently

Exactly, a cuntasaurus

by Anonymousreply 69May 8, 2022 4:50 PM

If Yeardley does her Lisa (which is also her real voice) then it is odd Julie can't do Marge. She doesn't need to make it sound exact if it harms her throat. A simple "Oh Homie" should not be that difficult.

by Anonymousreply 70May 8, 2022 4:53 PM

Yeardley Smith looks and sounds a lot like Debra Jo Rupp. Are they related?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 8, 2022 4:57 PM

R66 That's probably because the actors record their sessions individually, often at different studios all over Los Angeles. They only see each other at major events and award shows.

by Anonymousreply 72May 11, 2022 1:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!