Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why does pineapple on pizza get such strong hate?

The hate it receives is bizarre. I quite like it, and so do many people.

by Anonymousreply 97May 4, 2022 6:08 AM

I liked it too, but sadly I can no longer eat pizza.

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2022 3:58 PM

Carbs! No!

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2022 4:09 PM

I have a weakness for stuffed crust pineapple pizza (no ham) from Pizza Hut. It goes so good with barbecue chips and a coke with lime.

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2022 4:31 PM

R3

That sounds so good right now.

by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2022 4:41 PM

Yum !!!

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2022 4:49 PM

It ruins the entire pizza by spreading sugary sweetness all over it. You can't pick it off because it spreads well beyond its borders. Pizza is a savory dish, not a sweet one. Putting pineapple on a pizza should be a capital offense.

Pineapple is a sure fire way to ruin a pizza. Like raisins in a salad, or ketchup with anything.

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2022 4:51 PM

Pepperoni, peppers, onion and pineapple.

Best pizza topping ever.

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2022 5:00 PM

I get a frozen cheese pizza with thin crust at the supermarket and bake it, then slice it into bite-sized squares. I put a canned pineapple chunk on each square and sprinkle dried hot red peppers over each piece of pineapple. Leftovers are fine refrigerated and microwaved later. I was surprised at how good this is.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2022 5:34 PM

It's not for me, but enjoy! I'm surprised Patsy Ramsey hasn't commented.

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2022 5:37 PM

Pineapple on pizza is an affront to all that is good.

by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2022 5:39 PM

You type fat and low-class, all of you.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2022 5:39 PM

I love Hawaiian pizza.

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2022 5:40 PM

Over ten years go, I had a British acquaintance who told me that the Brits find it revolting to mix sweet and savory foods together.. Like pancakes with eggs and sausage/bacon.

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2022 5:42 PM

R8 sounds like a fat, low class whore who thinks the Conners are putting on airs.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2022 5:43 PM

I don’t care if you don’t like it. But the elitism these people who hate it display is crazy. They take it to a whole ‘nother level.

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2022 5:46 PM

Chopped tomatoes, pineapple, and feta is a great combination.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2022 5:49 PM

R13 This is true to an extent - the idea of putting maple syrup on sausages or bacon is revolting to us. Sweet/savoury American imports like PB&J never really took off, Hawaiian pizza is very controversial and cranberry sauce with turkey is only ever found in shop-bought sandwiches. I don't know any Brit who'd serve cranberry sauce with turkey at home.

We do have some sweet/savoury combinations of our own but they're not very common. Pineapple on pizza is available but you'll be sneered at.

by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2022 5:59 PM

Love pineapple on pizza.

by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2022 6:03 PM

Q anon conspiracies.

Anytime someone says they hate pineapple on pizza, it's a clear sign they're a magat.

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2022 6:05 PM

Chef Gordon Ramsey has been indoctrinating people (including children) to hate it.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2022 6:08 PM

I like pineapple on pizza. For those in favor (who can handle spicy food), try pineapple & jalapeño peppers. Really good.

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2022 6:09 PM

Agree. I don’t much like pizza, but I do like pineapple on it when I eat it.

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2022 6:24 PM

Pineapple on pizza originated in Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2022 6:24 PM

Because it makes pizza truly inedible for those that dislike it, and pizza is generally a communal meal.

If you don't really like other toppings that your friends/family have chosen, you can still endure them or they maintain enough integrity that you can easily remove them.

by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2022 6:25 PM

R23 interesting! I wonder why they call it Hawaiian? I guess I'll have to read the article.

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2022 6:27 PM

Hawaiian pizza is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2022 6:47 PM

Ham and Pineapple pizza was a thing over 50 years ago. It was good, too.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2022 6:49 PM

[quote]Why does pineapple on pizza get such strong hate?

Because it is an ABOMINATION IN THEY EYES OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS THE CHRIST.

by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2022 6:53 PM

Someone Christ, King of the Jews!

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2022 7:01 PM

R14 sounds like a snob about pizza, of all things.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2022 7:48 PM

Disgusting.

You can take the boy out of Brooklyn,

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2022 8:37 PM

R23 I spent my freshman and sophomore years at UCLA in the late seventies. There were several pizza places in Westwood Village that offered pizza with ham and pineapple; it was called “Canadian Pizza” on the menu, as I recall. Mario’s, the old-time Italian restaurant in the Village, wouldn’t offer it. I transferred to Yale in 1980. At that time, New Haven was known for its small mom-and-pop pizza joints. None would make pizza with pineapple, which was called an “abomination” by one proprietor in an article in the Yale Daily News.

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2022 8:54 PM

Pineapple on pizza is fine. Tomatoes on top of tomato sauce...? Whoever thought that was a good idea is a fucking weapons grade retard.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2022 9:14 PM

I would imagine that in Italy, they’d find pineapple on a pizza to be horrendous. It’s not something I care for, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be done. Does anyone remember the absolute outrage they felt in Spain several years ago when Jamie Oliver made paella with the addition of chorizo? I’d think that would be a great addition to the dish, but Spaniards were apoplectic.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2022 9:27 PM

I hate tomatoes and green peppers on pizza. Gross, bitter flabby and wet. And roasted garlic. Save it for the dip. So what?

Pizza is not a communal thing unless there is only two of you. They have this thing now - where you can have different toppings on each half!!

Or order two smalls! Or a large you fat pig and have delicious leftovers.

Anyway, Pineapple is ok. But True Canadian Pizza is bacon strips (back bacon) pepperoni and fresh mushrooms. This can't be beat. Extra cheese if you're nasty.

I love anchovies, ham AND pineapple pizza with onions too. Sweet and salty. And the pineapple is never wet - it kind of caramelizes. Heathens.

Gourmet pizza is a waste of time and money. Who wants raw greens and thin hard bread and ugly white sauce on pizza?

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2022 9:43 PM

Incidentally, would you consider pizza to be a type of 'hot open-faced sandwich'? My friend thinks so. That's basically what Smørrebrød is, he said (bread + toppings).

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2022 9:44 PM

[quote ] Over ten years go, I had a British acquaintance who told me that the Brits find it revolting to mix sweet and savory foods together

Hearing characters in British soap operas order Hawaiian pizzas for takeaway or parties is quite common.

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2022 9:51 PM

I like the pineapple-Canadian bacon combo just don't use too much pineapple and have the pieces be small and super-thin.

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2022 9:57 PM

I could take it out leave it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2022 10:02 PM

Tomatoes on pizza is sublime, especially in summer. With or without a tiny bit of sauce. It's a textural thing.

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2022 10:08 PM

I’m waiting for someone on the Far Left, such as one of my nephews, to denounce pineapple on pizza as a form of “cultural appropriation” that “lacks context.” Remember when Adele was castigated for her Bantu knots at the Notting Hill Carnival a while back? There could be hell to pay.

by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2022 10:23 PM

I’ve had it, wouldn’t order on my own, but this has to be the weakest example of showing how elevated your palate and level of sophistication is. It’s food on bread for God’s sake. To each his own and all that. As for cranberry sauce with turkey, it probably began as a marketing idea because bogs are prevalent around the area where the pilgrims first lived.

I have European friends who love to tell you what Americans do wrong — rather than differently — when it comes to food, dining, etc. It’s an exhausting subject.

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2022 10:24 PM

[quote][R8] sounds like a fat, low class whore who thinks the Conners are putting on airs.

😂🤣 Best post in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2022 10:24 PM

I order plain pizza for delivery and then I put canned peaches in syrup over it. Delish.

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2022 10:28 PM

Oh dear god I was about to write the same thing!

So why not just pour a can of fruit cocktail over it?

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2022 10:31 PM

I’m waiting for someone on the Far Left, such as one of my nephews, to castigate pineapple on pizza as a form of “cultural appropriation” that “lacks context.” Remember when Adele was criticized for wearing Bantu knots at the Notting Hill Carnival? There could be hell to pay.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2022 10:31 PM

Anyone who says anything remotely snobby about pizza toppings is some really old white granny gramps. It's cheese on bread with things on top. Shut the fuck up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 1, 2022 10:35 PM

Greek Style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 1, 2022 10:38 PM

Cheese and fruit is a classic and delicious combination. I fucking love pineapple on pizza (and those mentioning pepper flakes and/or jalapenos are right, the spice makes it even better).

As for the Brits and not doing sweet and savoury, they load sweetcorn onto pizzas (and potatoes).

by Anonymousreply 49May 1, 2022 10:42 PM

R6, I can name at least 10 authentic Italian savory dishes that have some sweetness in them to balance the acidity or the salt.

by Anonymousreply 50May 1, 2022 10:49 PM

I love pineapple and banana peppers on pizza. The sweet/sour/tangy combo on top of the melted cheese is heavenly.

As a vegetarian, pizza topping choices are more limited. Sometimes I need to change it up from olives and/or mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 51May 1, 2022 10:59 PM

Pineapple and ham have always gone together.

I'd leave the cherries off the pizza, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 1, 2022 11:00 PM

I actually had pizza and pineapple for lunch. I just didn't have had it together. Had the pineapple as digestive after the pizza.

by Anonymousreply 53May 1, 2022 11:01 PM

Hawaiian pizza is great. I don't understand the hate for pineapple on pizza either. It's actually very good, and it's also good for the digestive system to eat pineapple with cheese... helps the body break down the cheese better.

by Anonymousreply 54May 1, 2022 11:03 PM

Wow, all these haters - say what you will about pineapples on pizza (big fan here), but they're certainly much LESS gross than anchovies. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 55May 1, 2022 11:06 PM

pineapple on pizza is great . Also great is pizza with mandarin oranges . It's the sweet and salty combination .

by Anonymousreply 56May 1, 2022 11:08 PM

R35, I am so sorry for you that you have never had companions nor family to share a decent (or even a cheap) pie with.

Dickering over toppings is a kind of reward for being human.

by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2022 11:13 PM

[quote]I love pineapple and banana peppers on pizza. The sweet/sour/tangy combo on top of the melted cheese is heavenly.

Try adding bacon - not ham, that's gross - but some chopped up crispy bacon or prosciutto ham. The combination of salty/sweet/tangy is wonderful. Not something you'd want to eat every day, but on a hot day, a pizza with a cold beer is perfection!

by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2022 11:17 PM

R58, pizza and cold beer is delicious. Unfortunately my vegetarianism bars me from trying your bacon suggestion

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2022 11:41 PM

R50 Name one that has pineapple in it. Tomato, basil, oregano, and garlic do not work with pineapple. It is nasty.

by Anonymousreply 60May 2, 2022 12:03 AM

Pizza with pineapple is somehow not quite pizza for me, even if I like it on rare occasion.

Normally I'm very much a less is more man about pizza: a Margherita is my favorite, and I dislike foreign flavors: sriracha, BBQ, or even too many Mediterranean ingredients. I only tried pineapple pizza well into adulthood and while it doesn't quite fit as a pizza, it's okay as a very rare non-pizza.

by Anonymousreply 61May 2, 2022 12:12 AM

[quote]Gourmet pizza is a waste of time and money. Who wants raw greens and thin hard bread and ugly white sauce on pizza?

That reminds me of a Golden Girls episode where they were trying to decide what kind of pizza to order

ROSE: Should we go healthy and get whole-wheat crusts and low-fat cheese?

DOROTHY: Why don't we go really high-fiber and spread ketchup on cardboard? Pizza, dammit! Get pizza.

😂🤣

by Anonymousreply 62May 2, 2022 3:04 AM

The thought of pineapple on a pizza is repulsive, but whenever I have a bite of Canadian bacon/pineapple pizza...delicious.

by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2022 3:57 AM

I like to slice up a pineapple and then dip the pieces in tomato sauce, fondue style. Delish.

by Anonymousreply 64May 2, 2022 4:11 AM

DID YOU KNOW?

Back in the 1960s, McDonald's released the Hula Burger, which was a slice of grilled pineapple and cheese on a bun. It was supposed to be an alternative for Catholics, who couldn't eat meat on Fridays. Needless to say, it tanked and was replaced with the more successful Filet-O-Fish, still available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2022 4:40 AM

But Puka Dog is still alive and serving, r65.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 2, 2022 4:47 AM

[quote]R41 / R46: I’m waiting for someone on the Far Left, such as one of my nephews, to denounce pineapple on pizza as a form of “cultural appropriation” that “lacks context.”

Bullshit like that always comes from right-wingers, who like to drop claims like it into the midst of left-wing online discussion communities to see who will mistake it for a left-wing idea, pick it up and champion it.

My favorite pizza is Pepperoni, Pineapple, and Jalapeño.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 2, 2022 6:07 AM

For those who doubt savory italian dishes never have sugar in them ..

👇👇👇

Dates with goats cheese wrapped in prosciutto

Pasta caponata with eggplants, raisins, rum, basil and caramelized sugar

Every italian pasta sauce with tomatoes has some sugar in it to balance the acidity.

by Anonymousreply 68May 3, 2022 12:25 PM

It's delicious, I'm paying and eating the pizza, who cares what people think. For me peperoni pizza it's the worst, just a greasy mess, too salty without any interesting flavors.

by Anonymousreply 69May 3, 2022 12:50 PM

People have always had their favorite and least favorite toppings for Pizza but only pineapple seems to get people really fired up. If you don't like pineapple on pizza don't eat it.

by Anonymousreply 70May 3, 2022 12:51 PM

I like pineapple on pizza and I recline my seat on airplanes.

by Anonymousreply 71May 3, 2022 1:27 PM

Pineapple on pizza is glorious, I generally like pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives, meatballs, stuffed crust, the more, the merrier, all those brilliant colors and flavors and variety, the spice of life. :-)

by Anonymousreply 72May 3, 2022 2:38 PM

Pineapple in any hot food is disgusting. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 73May 3, 2022 2:45 PM

Pineapple is awesome.

Mushrooms and black olives are disgusting. Why would anyone pollute their pizza with that foul-tasting crap? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 74May 3, 2022 2:54 PM

What is this fanaticism against pineapple on pizza? I saw an older white man going on about it to a waiter in an Italian restaurant, while I was enjoying pineapple on my pizza a few booths away.

Why don’t they just insist the Supreme Court ban pineapple on pizza! That’s about as intelligent as what else that Nazi-dominated group is doing.

by Anonymousreply 75May 3, 2022 2:54 PM

This is the issue that’s gonna cause WW3.

by Anonymousreply 76May 3, 2022 3:48 PM

Well, *something* seems bound to trigger WWIII - it may a well be pineapple on pizza!

by Anonymousreply 77May 3, 2022 4:23 PM

[quote] I like pineapple on pizza and I recline my seat on airplanes.

You’re posting in the wrong thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 3, 2022 4:31 PM

Pineapple on pizza is the ultimate sacrilege.

by Anonymousreply 79May 3, 2022 6:29 PM

Eww, that sounds like a bad pizza.

by Anonymousreply 80May 3, 2022 7:10 PM

I like pineapple on pizza but my first choice is always anchovies. The nice part is that I never have to share either of them.

by Anonymousreply 81May 3, 2022 8:00 PM

What does anchovy pizza taste like? Is it just really salty pizza? Or is it fishy?

by Anonymousreply 82May 3, 2022 8:04 PM

Anchovies are wonderful. And yes nobody is going to ask you to share them.

by Anonymousreply 83May 3, 2022 10:59 PM

Love it. I always opt for pepperoni, jalapeño, and pineapple. It’s the perfect combination.

by Anonymousreply 84May 3, 2022 11:01 PM

My fav combo is pineapple, anchovies instead of ham, and garlic.

by Anonymousreply 85May 3, 2022 11:02 PM

Maybe instead of pineapple you could substitute canned tuna or raisins.

by Anonymousreply 86May 3, 2022 11:07 PM

𝑌𝑜𝑢 try that, R86, and let us know how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 87May 3, 2022 11:37 PM

I remember reading somewhere that tuna was a popular pizza topping in Japan.

by Anonymousreply 88May 3, 2022 11:45 PM

I watched an English friend eat a pizza with potatoes as topping.

by Anonymousreply 89May 3, 2022 11:59 PM

I swear when I lived in northern California I encountered marshmallows on pizza. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but that would put pineapple in the shade.

by Anonymousreply 90May 4, 2022 12:14 AM

In Scandinavian countries it's not unknown to top pizza with corn and peas. Even lima beans.

by Anonymousreply 91May 4, 2022 12:18 AM

I love pineapple on everything

by Anonymousreply 92May 4, 2022 12:24 AM

R82, the anchovies are just the topping on the pizza, like pepperoni or mushrooms are toppings. Each bite has a small bit of anchovy but the topping doesn't dominate the entire pizza -- you can still taste the tomato sauce and cheese and crust. The kind of anchovies used are cured in a salty brine so they taste of those flavors but I've never found a fishy taste in anchovies. Anchovies aren't very popular, so not every place offers them -- if you can find them at a place that sells pizza by the slice, you could try it that way.

by Anonymousreply 93May 4, 2022 12:29 AM

[quote]Love it. I always opt for pepperoni, jalapeño, and pineapple. It’s the perfect combination.

R84, that combo is one of the named/specialty pizzas at my favorite local pizza place. It's called The Yin-Yang.

I wasn't much of a fan of Hawaiian Pizza in my younger days. I didn't *hate* it, but I never sought it out. I'd have a slice if that's all that was left at the end of a pizza party (for example). Then, about a year ago, I ordered a Yin-Yang. I have no idea why it "spoke" to me that night -- it had always been on the menu. I guess I was in the mood for something a little different? (and I've always liked pepperoni/jalapeno). I have been HOOKED ever since! ☯

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 4, 2022 12:39 AM

Potatoes on pizza is popular in parts of Italy (no ketchup, obviously). Nancy Silverton at Mozza makes a bacon, egg and potato pizza that is heaven,. No red sauce, cheese and white sauce.

by Anonymousreply 95May 4, 2022 12:53 AM

This one pizza place from my college days used to make their Hawiian pizza a little differently:

Ham, Pineapple, cinnamon, and slivered almonds.

It was actually really good.

by Anonymousreply 96May 4, 2022 5:42 AM

My fav., pineapple and canadian bacon.

by Anonymousreply 97May 4, 2022 6:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!