Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George Sanders

I have not seen a thread about him. What a great actor. He was the quintessential British character actor.

He was in so many legendary movies, The Man Who Could Work Miracles, The House of Seven Gables, Rebecca, Foreign Correspondent, The Gay Falcon series, Tales of Manhattan, The Lodger, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Samson and Delilah, All About Eve, Ivanhoe, King Richard and the Crusaders, Journey to Italy, Death of a Scoundrel, Village of the Damned, A Shot in the Dark, The Jungle Book, The Kremlin Letter, and The Death Wheelers, and Endless Night.

He married both Zsa Zaa and Magda Gabor.

He also suffered from depression after a stroke and several close deaths. He swallowed five bottle of Nembutal and died of cardia arrest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2023 1:08 PM

He was very hot when young, but did not age well.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2022 6:55 PM

OP, you may find this old and short thread of interest. He’s been discussed quite a lot over the years in relation to his films, especially All About Eve, and his marriage to Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2022 7:00 PM

I liked him in Village of the Damned. He was a little too old to be married to Barbara Shelley though.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2022 7:20 PM

He was good in Rebecca

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2022 8:52 PM

Fabulous in All About Eve.

But that a drunk's face if I ever saw one.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2022 9:10 PM

That's a rough 66.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2022 9:14 PM

I’ve always loved George Sanders - he is one of those “ugly handsome” men. In all of the movies that he is in he is such a great character actor - he has a playful self confidence. Like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, Gene Hackman or Michael Caine - he was always interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2022 9:25 PM

R7 KEVIN SPACEY????!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2022 9:28 PM

Back before we knew what a sleep bag Kevin Spacey was he was handsome/not handsome sleepy funny in a lot of movies - he did Jim and Tammy, American Beauty, The Usual Suspects - yes he was dreadful in a lot of things including House of Cards. BUT I could see Kevin Spacey playing Addison De Witt in All About Eve. I could also see George Sanders playing Spacey’s part in L.A. Confidential.

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2022 12:44 AM

Sleeze Bag not Sleep Bag!

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2022 12:44 AM

Fun Fact: Was replaced as The Falcon by his own brother, Tom Conway (Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2022 1:10 AM

Kevin Spacey is an odious, oily little creature with none of Sanders' obvious polish and charm. He's just a sarcastic little frog.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2022 1:17 AM

He's actually pretty sexy in his early roles in the '30s. He had what I'd call a "Nazi haircut" back then. Beautiful voice - born in St. Petersburg to British parents.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2022 1:26 AM

That voice! Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2022 1:27 AM

Heard he was reputed to be a bastard son of a Russian Prince. Was born in Russian & family emigrated to England. Loved him in everything. So elegant. Makes sense that he would be smitten by the Gabor Girls. Slavic men love Hungarian women, big time!

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2022 1:28 AM

His brother had a very similar voice. He was also a chronic alcoholic which killed his career.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2022 2:02 AM

You're too short for that gesture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2022 2:08 AM

[quote] What a great actor.

No he wasn't; he played EXACTLY the same character from the late 30s and the late 60s. His range of "acting" was as limited as John Wayne, Audie Murphy and Walter Brennan.

He was cold; none of his scenes conveyed ANY emotion.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2022 2:08 AM

^^^Your opinion. I loved him!!

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2022 2:09 AM

He was maudlin and full of self pity. He was magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2022 2:12 AM

He had plenty of marriages to women but was still a raging HOMOSEXUAL.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2022 2:16 AM

I'll watch anything he's in. The voice, the carriage, the world-weariness of him, as well as his good looks, captivating. He was marvelous. His suicide note:

[quote]Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2022 2:17 AM

I just bought his memoir (digital version) a few weeks ago. It was published more than 60 years ago and I don’t think it’s ever been out of print. He’s a very good writer and has includes anecdotes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2022 2:19 AM

[quote] his good looks

You must be blind. His eyes were too close together and his long nose became almost Karl-Malden-ish in his latter years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2022 2:31 AM

He was good as the drag-queen in The Kremlin Letter

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2022 2:57 AM

I loved the scene in Rebecca where he threatens to expose Max while brazenly eating a chicken leg before tossing it out the car window.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2022 3:09 AM

George Sanders was the poor man's Rex Harrison.

George took the supporting roles that Rex rejected. George lolled about in La La Land while Rex did his duty at home.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2022 3:23 AM

George and Rex appeared in two films together but Rex definitely got the top billing.

Rex got the Best Actor Oscar but did George get a Best Supporting Oscar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2022 3:42 AM

If you want to see George Sanders as the romantic, watch Lured with Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2022 4:07 AM

He stole *my* Oscar!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2022 4:12 AM

He would have made an amazing DLer.

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2022 4:12 AM

Wasn't he in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir? The seductive, married man? Rex Harrison was in that movie. I like both actors. I don't think of George Sanders as a "poor man's" anything. If anything, it's the other way around!

I didn't know about his tragic death. Strokes are terrible. I can imagine being suicidal after having a big stroke.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2022 4:14 AM

R27

[quote] … while Rex did his duty at home

Is that what we’re calling killing Carol Landis these days?

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2022 4:18 AM

George Sanders tried to kill himself a dozen times before he succeeded. He married Zsa Zsa Gabor, but she was a big cheater (pricey hooker), so they divorced. Then he married her almost twin sister, Magda. She was loyal, but he missed Zsa Zsa. They had a long-time affair while he was still married to Magda. Even after the two were caught, more than once, they didn't stop.

I learned about this stuff on CDAN from revealed blind items. DL won't let me post the link. Just go to crazydaaysandnights.net and type his name in the search box, if you're curious.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2022 4:45 AM

Both George and Rex had limited range, but could be magnificent within that range. But George comes across as more likable; I'd rather spend time with George than Rex.

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2022 4:46 AM

R33 Before he mercy-married Kay Kendall.

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2022 5:07 AM

His best role was Henry Wotton.

And what a task it is to utter Wilde's multisyllabic, tongue-twisting verbose epigrams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2022 5:32 AM

George Sanders' most-used facial expression was the sneer.

How often do we see George Sanders smile or indulge in hearty laughter?

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2022 6:10 AM

[quote] If you want to see George Sanders as the romantic, watch Lured with Lucille Ball.

And did George "get the girl" in this movie? It's not as if he had to compete with any major male sex symbols in that cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2022 6:32 AM

Paired with Marilyn Monroe as Miss Casswell, "a graduate of the Copacabana School of Dramatic Arts," in "All About Eve."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2022 6:36 AM

I liked him and thought he had a subtle sexiness. Think he still adds a lot to All about Eve. On other threads discussing beautiful female stars when people get picky about Hedy Lamar. George, who was around, worked with, married and fucked some of the most beautiful women on the planet said of Lamar, "so beautiful that everybody would stop talking when she came into a room." Quite a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2022 7:46 AM

I think he’s tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2022 8:34 AM

OP,

Your timing was good.

George Sanders died 50 years ago…April 25, 1972.

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2022 10:03 AM

R43 Oh wow thank you for noticing. That was not my intention.

Sanders was also good as the shady lawyer Uncle Andrew in Endless Night.

by Anonymousreply 44April 28, 2022 12:40 PM

He had a hot riposte but he couldn't live forever.

Especially with the suicide and all.

by Anonymousreply 45April 28, 2022 12:43 PM

Thanks for the Thread OP. Loved him. Meeting him would be on my bucket list. I can see him at the Pearly Gates with St. Pete. He's smoking his fag. in its cig. holder.St. Pete as well, dishing on the line-up coming off the rainbow bridge. And the tales they could tell!!

by Anonymousreply 46April 28, 2022 12:50 PM

Not a lot of range, but Hollywood needed capable people for second leads and B-pictures. His long speech at the Taft Hotel in New Haven to Eve is one of the best things in the film. It's difficult to do a monologue well and his pacing is perfect. In contrast, Baxter is just a one note ham. On rewatching, Baxter is the weak link in the film---we know she's playing an ambitious phony, but it would have been better if she'd been a bit less melodramatic. Hugh Marlow isn't great either (he rarely was), but his is a small part and the most consequential actions of his character are told to us more than shown.

by Anonymousreply 47April 28, 2022 12:52 PM

In his suicide note, he wrote that he was bored with life.

His handsome brother, Tom Conway, also came to a bad end.

by Anonymousreply 48April 28, 2022 1:18 PM

Thank you for the Ball film mention. Will check it out.

by Anonymousreply 49April 28, 2022 2:35 PM

[quote] He was the quintessential British character actor.

1. He never got top billing (apart from some B movies) 2. He always played the same kind of character (well-dressed and snide) 3. He was exiled from Britain for decades (1933 to 1963)

by Anonymousreply 50May 1, 2022 6:26 AM

[quote] He swallowed five bottle of Nembutal

I really don't see how anybody could swallow that many tablets (over 200) without vomiting them back.

[quote] What a great actor. --- No he wasn't; he played EXACTLY the same character from the late 30s and the late 60s. His range of "acting" was as limited as John Wayne, Audie Murphy and Walter Brennan.

But within that range Sanders perfected that character. He even titled his autobiography "Memoirs of a Professional Cad".

He was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 1, 2022 7:03 AM

His suicide note mentioned something about being "bored" in this life and he was done with it all.

Sad,

by Anonymousreply 52May 1, 2022 7:52 AM

Sanders had 3 star roles in movies for that moderately successful homosexual director Albert Lewin (1894–1968).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 1, 2022 9:24 AM

Village of the Damned was wildly successful and Sanders was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 54May 1, 2022 3:24 PM

[quote]Village of the Damned was wildly successful and Sanders was great in it.

It even got a 1964 sequel, "Children of the Damned" (without Sanders, whose character died in the first movie) and was remade in 1995 by director John Carpenter with a cast that included Christopher Reeve and Mark Hamill.

by Anonymousreply 55May 1, 2022 7:07 PM

George Sanders killed Tyrone Power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 2, 2022 12:01 AM

I looked at Sanders' IMDB bio and I was surprised to see that George Sanders played God.

I have no memory of it but it was strange, mulatto, misshapen, dubbed movie which never seems to be screened on TV where I live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 2, 2022 3:32 AM

He also played godlike character in The Man Who Could Work Miracles.

The God of Indifference.

Very good movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 2, 2022 4:05 AM

R50, he was "exiled from Britain" for 30 years? Tell the story, never heard that.

by Anonymousreply 59May 2, 2022 4:25 AM

He was the best Mister Freeze on Batman.

Menacing.

I got the impression he'd kidnap Robin and make Batman watch as Mister Freeze fucked him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 2, 2022 4:31 AM

R60 Gross

by Anonymousreply 61May 2, 2022 2:40 PM

Somehow I never had erotic thoughts about Mr. Freeze.

by Anonymousreply 62May 2, 2022 5:02 PM

Yuck Rex Harrison is the worst. Sanders is leagues better. Harrison always seems entirely unlikable to me, while Sanders had a glint in his eye that made the bastards he played far more entertaining.

Love that Michael Fassbender is doing a pitch-perfect copy of Sanders voice in Inglourious Basterds.

by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2022 5:15 PM

R50 I think it was more that Hollywood wasn't giving him decent roles in the late 50s so he went back home.

by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2023 11:24 AM

ZsaZsa talks a lot about their relationship in this interview, and says he was probably the one great true love of her life, or somesing like dat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 25, 2023 11:31 AM

r38 Check out "Call Me Madam" with DL fave/icon/diva Ethel Merman if you want to see a smiling, laughing AND singing(he had quite a good voice) George Sanders. He was cast against type and did it very well.

His brother, Tom Conway, did look a lot like him, with a bit of Errol Flynn thrown into the mix.

It's hard to describe that quality in his voice that so many people admire. He would've had plenty of work doing voiceovers if he hadn't become an actor.

by Anonymousreply 66March 25, 2023 11:42 AM

There is something almost magical about Saunders. I cannot put my finger on it, but it was there.

by Anonymousreply 67March 25, 2023 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!