Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Doing The Nanny Ruin Fran Drescher’s Voice?

I know Fran Drescher always has had a nasal voice, but I’ve always thought the inflection she used constantly in the show ruined her voice over the years.

In the first season it’s much higher and smoother and by the last season it’s lower and much more scratchy and gravel-like sounding. I imagine she has/had nodules.

This clip really puts the change in perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2024 3:05 AM

Um... maybe?

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2022 3:37 PM

It is a bit like how the Lucy Ricardo voice probably contributed to Lucy's later gravelly voice, probably as much as the cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2022 3:38 PM

[quote]by the last season it’s lower and much more scratchy and gravel-like sounding.

It's the whiskey and cigarettes

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2022 3:50 PM

R3, shigerettes

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2022 4:19 PM

R2 that reminds me of Lucy by the Punchy Players.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2022 9:08 PM

Yeah, her voice sounded much deeper by the end of the show. Was Fran a smoker?

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2022 10:17 PM

Sorry to bump this but I've been rewatching while I'm in bed going ready to sleep. It's actually very noticeable. The first few episodes I thought she had a cold but it didn't go away.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2022 7:41 PM

You have seen the one where she has wasabi and her voice changes? She probably talked like that when not filming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2022 9:36 PM

r6

I'm not sure... I thought she was a health nut

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2022 12:39 AM

I think I only watched random episodes of the first season of The Nanny, the only other thing I remember seeing her in is an episode of Who's the Boss; the accent isn't as strong but it's there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2022 10:01 PM

It’s possible. Doing her “Lucy” Ricardo voice was too hard on Lucille Ball’s pipes. That’s why she used her real voice on The Lucy Show.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2022 10:04 PM

R10 it’s much higher and less scratchy there.

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2024 2:51 AM

Enquiring minds want to know!

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2024 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!