Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charles Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks. One hell of a photo

Discuss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2022 12:01 AM

Well, I wouldn't have put my hand up there, not even in private.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2022 12:25 AM

Fairbanks was an exhibitionist who had a Nude Gymnasium at home.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2022 12:26 AM

Show people! Pffffffffffttttttt. Attention whores more like it.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2022 12:29 AM

everyone in that photo is a man

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2022 12:29 AM

Was this early pron for gay men?

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2022 12:31 AM

The faces of United Artists' new one-piece lace foundation garment. Zips up the back and no bone.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2022 12:35 AM

Public acrobatic fisting, was a beloved past time in those days.

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2022 12:35 AM

As the doctor removed Fairbanks' forearm from Chaplin's anus, Chaplin stated "I accidentally sat on it. We have tons of witnesses, seriously!"

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2022 12:38 AM

Four Minute Men. Propaganda to sell Liberty Bonds during WWI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2022 12:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2022 12:49 AM

If I had lived back then, I definitely would have been a hatmaker. I would have been set for life.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote]Reportedly while walking down the Hollywood Boulevard one day, Charlie Chaplin saw a large poster in front of a movie theater that announced a new film comedy in which Douglas Fairbanks played.

[quote]There was a young man standing there, and Chaplin asked him:

[quote]- Hey, have you seen this movie?

[quote]- Of course! – the young stranger answered.

[quote]- Is it funny? – asked Chaplin.- What a stupid question. I died laughing. Fairbanks is the best.

[quote]- Is he good like Chaplin?

[quote]- Much better than that wretched Chaplin, for whom I only feel pity. – continued the young man.

[quote]- If so, let me introduce myself. I am Charlie Chaplin! – Chaplin angrily exclaimed.

[quote]- I am pleased to meet you. I am Douglas Fairbanks!

[quote]After this unusual acquaintance, Chaplin and Fairbanks became very good friends. During World War I, they teamed up with Mary Pickford and toured the country at rallies to help sell Liberty bonds to help finance the war effort. The two even decided to form their own motion picture studio together, along with Pickford and director D.W. Griffith. That studio, United Artists, in one form or another continued to exist to this very day (although the current United Artists is pretty much just connected by the name only)!

[quote]The duo remained friends, even when Fairbanks's movie career started to slide in the early 1930s. On December 12, 1939, at 56, Fairbanks had a heart attack in his sleep and died a day later at his home in Santa Monica. By some accounts he had been obsessively working out against medical advice, trying to regain his once-trim waistline. Fairbanks's famous last words were, "I've never felt better". His funeral service was held at the Wee Kirk o' the Heather Church in Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery where he was placed in a crypt in the Great Mausoleum. He was deeply mourned and honored by his colleagues and fans for his contributions to the film industry and Hollywood. A monument was erected at the cemetery, and Charlie Chaplin read a rememberance of his friend in October of 1941 at its dedication. It has often been said that Chaplin never recovered completely after the death of his friend, but what is truly known about these two friends is they liked to work hard and play ever harder...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2022 12:52 AM

Was he a Jew?

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2022 12:54 AM

[quote]in Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery where he was placed in a crypt in the Great Mausoleum.

Wrong. Both Fairbanks Sr and Jr. are entombed at Hollywood Forever on Santa Monica Blvd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2022 1:08 AM

R14 and whoever erroneously WW'd R14, when Fairbanks died in 1939, a funeral was held at the Wee Kirk o' the Heather chapel in Forest Lawn cemetery, his body was kept in a vault in the Great Mausoleum at Forest Lawn while his memorial was being built and in 1941 his body was moved to what was then known as the Hollywood Cemetery. The author of the blog at R12 neglected to mention that his body was moved but the only thing they got wrong is the date, the memorial and the newly constructed monument was in May 1941, not October.

While Wikipedia shouldn't be used as a primary source for anything it's funny that you linked to an image from his Wikipedia entry but neglected to read it - his temporary entombment is mentioned in the section that talks about his death.

Below is the May 1941 LA Times article confirming everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 17, 2022 2:03 AM

I believe that photo is from Chaplin & Fairbank's War Bond promotion tour. This photo is from a rally held in front of Federal Hall on Wall Street

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2022 2:29 AM

Federal Hall is a handsome building.

I'm surprised no one has yet decided to remove George Washington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2022 2:37 AM

R16, You are correct

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2022 2:38 AM

A lengthy video promoting the Second Liberty Loan Campaign featuring Miss Mary Pickford, Mr. Douglas Fairbanks, Mr. Julian Eltinge, Mr. William S. Hart and Mr. Theodore Roberts in one of the segments

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2022 3:44 AM

It’s astonishing to see how many people would gather for a public event pre-mass communications. This was likely one of the only chances the New York City public would ever get to see these stars live.

by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2022 4:04 AM

R20 There was likely an ad on radio or the local newspaper of the event and lots of word of mouth, which was how things were communicated back then.

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2022 11:39 AM

Who buggered who?

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2022 12:20 PM

So…Many…Hats.

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2022 12:30 PM

In a way,, many Western men still wear hats. They're just not bowlers or fedoras or flat caps. My brothers and his bro friends are always sporting a baseball cap, especially when outdoors or out and about.

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2022 12:44 PM

Shouldn't it be who buggered whom? Or is the second who a direct object rather than an indirect object and therefore correct?

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2022 12:51 PM

[quote] Who buggered who?

The answer is obvious if one looks at the picture.

by Anonymousreply 26April 17, 2022 3:54 PM

R25 I was thinking of typing whom. I don’t know 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 27April 17, 2022 5:09 PM

Chaplin was rumored to have an enormous and girthy schwanz and knew how to use it mostly with underage girls, but he might have made an exception for the handsome Fairbanks or pigtailed Pickford.

by Anonymousreply 28April 17, 2022 5:44 PM

R28 what about moi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 17, 2022 6:03 PM

DF, Sr. showed off his butt in "The Half-Breed" (1916). Picture at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 17, 2022 7:26 PM

The people in the crowd look like soulless clones.

by Anonymousreply 31April 17, 2022 7:31 PM

Doug Jr. at r29, you had your shot at getting with Clifton Webb when he made a pass at you when you were driving him to some Hollywood shindig way back in the day. Instead of letting Clifton fondle you while he had his hand on your leg, you laughed in his face and pissed him off. He demanded to be let out of your car and walked the rest of the way to the party. He didn't talk to you for years, but you two were finally reconciled much later on. (According to a not very well written autobiography by Doug Jr.)

Allegedly, there is an old, outrageous photo of a very important British politician who is leaning back, with his pants around his ankles, as a very prominent lady dignitary sucks his dick. In the background you can see a man jerking off as he is presumably waiting for the lady to service him. The man in the background is rumored to be our very own Doug Jr.

by Anonymousreply 32April 17, 2022 9:14 PM

Link to outrageous photo please, R32.

by Anonymousreply 33April 17, 2022 9:27 PM

Wasn't Doug jr rumored to be the headless man getting head from the douchesse of Argyll?

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2022 11:59 PM

That is a sea of people in that photo...literally shoulder to shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2022 12:00 AM

Twitter back then.

by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2022 12:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!