Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diane Keaton -- a good contender for the biggest hack in Hollywood

That last twenty years of her career have been one piece of garbage after another.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2022 7:44 PM

Same story for Jack Nicholson, Robert DeNiro, Warren Beatty, Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, Al Pacino, Jane Fonda, Michael Caine, John Travolta, Dustin Hoffman...people age out of the movie business. If they want or have to work, it's usually always DRECK.

Better go back to your original thread, OP -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2022 2:36 PM

Just that, R1. And 100+ names more

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2022 2:37 PM

Well, DeNiro is often criticized for it. For some reason Keaton's been getting a pass.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2022 2:38 PM

Diane Keaton’s career went straight down the shitter after The First Wives Club.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2022 2:48 PM

She works with great frequency for a person of her age though.

But her films are simply forgettable, they're downright bad.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2022 2:50 PM

In my opinion, Captain Von Trapp from Sound of Music got better roles as he aged. Loved him in the one with the kid from Trainspotting, where he came out as gay late in life. Then when he was Keanu Reeves' dad in Lake House. Also great in Knives Out. And it says a lot that he was asked to take over Kevin Spacey's last big role.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2022 2:58 PM

[quote]Well, DeNiro is often criticized for it. For some reason Keaton's been getting a pass.

So does old creepy Redford. Critics won't go after him, not even an inch. Audiences have no interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2022 3:01 PM

You're a CHARMER, OP! Fun at parties, are you? And such fresh conversation topics!

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2022 4:40 PM

[quote]Diane Keaton’s career went straight down the shitter after The First Wives Club.

1996? Oh, no. 1977 was her year with Annie Hall in which she was terrible but so was the character, and very good in Looking for Me. Goodbar. She had three chances with Godfather films, and she's bad in all of them. She was okay in flinty squirrelly roles in some Woody Allen films. That's it.

Her heyday was done by 1979.

by Anonymousreply 9April 16, 2022 4:40 PM

She was already just doing Diane Keaton (tm) by 1996.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2022 4:41 PM

Ugly lesbo.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2022 4:52 PM

R9 = Sally Field

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2022 6:12 PM

R4- After?

Including the First Wives Club

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2022 6:46 PM

R9- and no one cares about her role in REDS

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2022 6:47 PM

You might even call her career an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2022 6:51 PM

She was great in Reds. This "I Hate Diane Keaton" Troll is nauseating. Between 1977 and 1996, she was great, and gave brilliant performances in Annie Hall, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Reds, Shoot the Moon, Mrs. Soffel, The Little Drummer Girl, Baby Boom, The Good Mother, and Marvin's Room. And then her last great hurrah in Something's Gotta Give.

I agree, though, the last 20 years she has been phoning it in or just relying on the Keaton tricks. I still feel she has another great performance in her but she doesn't seem that ambitious. She was cute in The Book Club, though.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2022 6:52 PM

R16- She was WOEFULLY miscast in Little Drummer Girl. She was cute in Baby Boom and although it was a very mainstream , commercial movie I liked her in Something's Gotta Give.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2022 6:55 PM

It might just be the roles she's offered. Maybe they want her to do her Diane Keaton thing and that's why they offer her the roles. She's been wonderful in so many films, but actors don't always have the option to pick and choose every project they're involved in. They go where the money is and take what they're offered most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2022 7:19 PM

I just realized she had great chemistry with Andy Garcia in The Book Club, forgetting that they starred in The Godfather Part III although they didn't share many scenes together. Garcia is ten years younger.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2022 7:22 PM

I loved her in Baby Boom. Good role for her quirkiness. I also love Vermont...lol.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2022 7:42 PM

I liked her in Shoot The Moon and Looking For Mr. Goodbar. Good serious roles for her.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2022 7:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!