Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judgement at Nuremberg at the Oscars

Seems funny how the unknown Maximillian Schell in a small role won Best Actor yet Montgomery Clift and Judy Garland in Oscar baity roles lost. Were they thought to have a chance at winning?

(Rita Moreno and George Chikaris of West Side Story beat them.)

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2022 7:10 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2022 12:29 AM

Clift and Garland. Moreno isn’t half as good as she always thinks she is and Chakiris, while hot, doesn’t have that much to do.

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2022 12:56 AM

Who the hell had the unenviable job of keeping Judy Garland, Montgomery Clift and Spencer Tracy clean and sober while filming his epic movie? They should have received an Oscar for this monumental task.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2022 1:10 AM

Dietrich was good too. She deserved a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2022 1:22 AM

I love Garland and Clift, but they both overact like crazy in this.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2022 1:23 AM

R4. I agree—she’s quietly brilliant in the film. I also think she should have been nominated for Witness for the Prosecution. Dietrich was underrated as a dramatic actress—perhaps because people assumed her forays into camp disqualified her—but even in her small cameo in Touch of Evil she is captivating and real.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2022 1:47 AM

Schell wasn't completely unknown. He was in "The Young Lions" with Clift and Brando in '58, and starred in the televised version of Judgment at Nuremberg to critically acclaimed in '59.

I think Clift and Garland were the Oscar frontrunners that year, so Moreno and Chakiris' wins were suprising upsets.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2022 5:27 AM

/critical acclaim

by Anonymousreply 8April 16, 2022 5:28 AM

[quote] Garland and Clift, but they both overact like crazy in this.

It was disgusting.

This bleak, black and white ordeal was supposed to be solemn and profound and depressing as a church sermon. And because we were getting bored and claustrophobic after the interval these two 'carnival freaks' were wheeled in with their Hollywood facial tics and twitching and ruined any sense of gravitas.

The TV version on Youtube is better because it's shorter. It features the gravitas of Claude Rains and Paul Lukas and the even younger and more beautiful Maximilian.

PS It told me things I didn’t know. Such as Oliver Wendell home suggested that three generations of imbeciles should be sterilised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2022 4:16 AM

I would have given Max whatever he wanted. An Oscar? Here you go.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2022 4:28 AM

This movie should have swept at the Oscars...instead West Side Story did.

This was the last chance for Judy and Monty to win any Oscars. Obscure hacks like Rita Moreno and George Chakiris stole their Oscars. I'll give it to Rita that she at least kept her name in the headlines but when's the last time anybody ever talked about George Chakiris?

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2022 4:32 AM

[quote] when's the last time anybody ever talked about George Chakiris?

He played a corpse after a 3 minute appearance on that Angela Lansbury Jessica Fletcher TV show. And that must be 40 years ago now.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2022 4:42 AM

I agree R9. It's a terrible movie. Spencer Tracy is ok and Marlene might have been if her face didn't look so bizarre. She could not move one part of her face.

This film is so ponderous and self important and Clift and Garland STINK in it. Really, they do. They are like some punch and judy freak show.

Yes the film footage was harrowing. No, it's not worth it. Burt Lancaster, spare me.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2022 4:53 AM

Schell's role wasn't the biggest, but he had a dynamic presence and really stood out; it reminds me of what Peter Finch did with his role in "Network".

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2022 4:55 AM

[quote] Yes the film footage was harrowing.

My father was stationed in Germany right after the war. His first posting was in Nuremberg. My mother joined him shortly after his arrival. She was offered a job working on the trials. Not sure which ones. She got pregnant and decided that she didn't want those awful images in her head while she was pregnant. She declined. When she told me that I was furious that she didn't tough it out and be part of history. My older sister still turned out to be a cold-hearted PITA.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2022 5:48 AM

[quote] My older sister still turned out to be a cold-hearted PITA.

She turned out to be a cold 'thin flat bread that can be separated easily into two layers to form a pocket'.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2022 6:20 AM

^^^ LOL! That made me laugh and I was beginning to feel a bit guilty I wrote that about my sister, may she rest in peace. Even though it's true and anonymous.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2022 7:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!