Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Molly Shannon Was 37 When She Found Out Her Father Was Gay

The truth began to emerge in 2001, when James Shannon visited New York City as Molly was wrapping up her six-year run on SNL. She said he was out drinking and met a “straight college boy,” then showed up with the man at her West Village apartment.

She was upset since her father had been sober for a few years, and made him stay in a hotel. Afterwards, she called her manager, Steven Levy, who is gay and had become close with James over the years.

“Steven, in that conversation when I complained about my dad, said, ‘You’re being too hard on him Molly, you’re being too hard on him. You don’t understand, he’s given up so much for you girls, so much for you and Mary,'” she told Stern. “And he kept repeating, and I go, ‘What are you saying? Are you saying he’s gay?’

“And he was like, ‘I don’t want to tell you! He’s going to tell you.’ And I was like, ‘Oh, my God.’ I couldn’t believe it.”

“I think he had tried to tell my mom before that,” she added. “He said, ‘I saw this psychiatrist, and the psychiatrist told me I’m a latent homosexual,’ and she said, ‘Oh, that psychiatrist never should’ve told you that.'”

Later in 2001, she asked her then 72-year-old father directly.

“I just one day asked him by the pool, ‘Have you ever thought you might be gay?'” she said. “And he just said, ‘Most definitely.'” He died about six months later.

In a separate interview with NPR, Shannon said she asked her father when he first knew he was gay.

“And he’s like, oh, Molly, I knew in grade school. I’d go on double dates, and I would look at the boy. And I liked this one boy who was from Poland, and I liked the way his hand held a cigarette. He looked so manly,” she said. “And I would look at the J.C. Penney catalogs and see the macho men in their undershirts.”

He also told her he met men for sex while on sales trips and at truck stops.

“And I was happy for him,” Shannon said. “And it was such an honor that he came out to me. And I think it was a relief for him to be able to tell me.”

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2022 11:35 PM

I was only 23 when I found out. What took her so long? Didn't she ever notice that her father's dick tasted like shit?

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2022 12:19 AM

Link, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2022 12:20 AM

Straight people take it up the pooper R1. You sick incestuous pervert.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2022 12:21 AM

That’s a sad story . I like Molly.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2022 12:22 AM

R3 🤣😍😂😊😁😉 I sense your pooper's lonely!

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2022 12:24 AM

There was already a thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2022 12:24 AM

R6 your link is about Gary Coleman

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2022 12:25 AM

I heard her Fresh Air interview the other day. She was very compassionate and loving about it it seems.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2022 12:25 AM

r6 that thread is about Molly being molested by Gary Coleman. This thread is about Molly's dad being a fudgepacker. Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2022 12:26 AM

For crissakes must we have a separate thread for EVERY BORING ANECDOTE from this lady's memoire? And she is on every talkshow and every podcast.

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2022 12:32 AM

Shirt lifters all.

by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2022 12:32 AM

R9 maybe Molly should have introduced her father to Gary

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2022 12:37 AM

Sounds like her dad was lucky he didn't bring something nasty home to the wifey.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2022 12:42 AM

OP would you create a thread about Molly's hilarious ping pong tournament at the club? It was just GHASTLY, but so funny!

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2022 12:48 AM

OP's thread is fine.

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2022 12:52 AM

Her stories are hilarious. I bought her book.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2022 1:23 AM

Catholic problems...

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2022 1:50 AM

Her father was a handsome guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2022 1:53 AM

And he turned into a cute, little old man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2022 1:54 AM

Oh, wow.

I knew about the accident - I remember seeing Molly's episode of Who Do You Think You Are - but I had no idea her father was drunk and was driving when they had the accident where her mom and younger sister were killed.

I mean, DAMN.

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2022 2:09 AM

Those pictures at R18 & R19? Flames from space!

by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2022 2:13 AM

Yeah, when Terry Gross was asking her about her reaction to her father's sexuality, that made me think that she should have asked Molly if she was ever angry about her father's role in the accident which led to the death of several family members.

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2022 2:13 AM

"He also told her he met men for sex while on sales trips and at truck stops."

Nothing wrong with sexing guys at truck stops!

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2022 2:17 AM

This is a very sad story of a life not lived. I feel bad for the whole family ☹️

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote]This is a very sad story of a life not lived.

Well he still managed to get some dick though.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2022 2:58 AM

Ok, not the way I'd wantit, but whatever

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2022 3:02 AM

Terri Gross’s interview was actually quite weak compared to Andy Cohen’s hourlong special, in which she was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2022 5:16 PM

This was sad to read

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2022 11:20 PM

Her book was really good but dang was it sad.

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2022 7:52 PM

she talked about ALL of that on Howard Stern. She seems like a genuinely lovely and compassionate person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2022 8:12 PM

A 72 year old man met a "straight college man"?

DADDY!

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2022 8:20 PM

Molly has a cute husband. good for her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2022 2:40 PM

I bought Molly's memoir this past week, but I haven't had a chance to read it.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2022 3:46 AM

The memoir made me weep. MARY!! Surprisingly strong for a celebrity biography. She really seems like a gem of a human being. Her closeted gay dad had some wonderful qualities he passed onto her and their relationship, albeit dysfunctional, was ultimately filled with so much love.

Worth reading. But yes - quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2022 3:21 AM

I have a friend who’s friends with her and he says she is a magical person, just absolutely lovely and sweet

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2022 3:39 AM

R18, proof of the fact that a pinkie ring never lies.

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2022 3:50 AM

[quote] He also told her he met men for sex while on sales trips and at truck stops....“And I was happy for him"

Please tell me those statements are printed out of order.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2022 4:23 AM

R37 she was happy because he came out in his 70s and had been so sad and drunk and lonely her whole life since her mother died when she was 4 years old. She just wanted him to actually have some sort of satisfaction I think. It sounds weird lol but in the context of the book made sense. The stuff with her father was very honest and moving. It really is worth reading - and I hate celebrity memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2022 5:44 PM

[quote] The memoir made me weep. MARY!! Surprisingly strong for a celebrity biography. She really seems like a gem of a human being. Her closeted gay dad had some wonderful qualities he passed onto her and their relationship, albeit dysfunctional, was ultimately filled with so much love.

I finished reading the book last night and it was quite sad at times. But, some of the stories she told about her dad were hilarious like the one about him going off on sales shop workers calling them fat and needing to fix their teeth. The plane stowaway story was hilarious as well.

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2022 11:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!