Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever seen the movie SHAFT (1971)?

I've never seen it. It was such a big deal or was that only the song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2022 7:11 AM

I remember seeing it. It was gritty, urban tough guy street smarts. The song played endlessly for a year

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2022 3:45 AM

They say this cat Shaft is a Bad Motha.......

Shut your mouth.

I'm talking about Shaft..

Then we can dig it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2022 4:21 AM

[quote] The song played endlessly for a year

But not with as much heart and soul as this version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2022 4:25 AM

It was mostly about the song. It feels like a grittier for its time TV detective show. It's flat even if the song is catchy and Richard Roundtree is hot.

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2022 4:28 AM

Yeah, sure... great

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2022 4:28 AM

a standard detective movie with a black dick. Even the opening scene has that oldest of cliches; the blind newsie who sees everything.

by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2022 4:36 AM

In 1971 the " oldest of cliches" weren't that old

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2022 4:42 AM

R7 by then it seemed more the stuff of parody

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2022 5:04 AM

If I remember right Shaft was the first movie to present a black man as the tough, cool guy lead

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2022 5:13 AM

Sidney Poitier as Virgil Tibbs in 3 films In the Heat of the Night, They Call me Mr. Tibbs, The Organization preceded Shaft as did Jim Brown in The Split, Riot, Tick . . .Tick . . .Tick

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2022 5:20 AM

^ R9 PS you are wrong as usual

by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2022 5:21 AM

"Tick . . .Tick . . .Tick "

Perhaps you should see a doctor about that tick and you're still fat and unfuckable

I win 😜

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2022 5:23 AM

You also smell like an old cum stain on your caftan

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2022 5:25 AM

R7 R9 R12 R13 Lonely girl, why are you stalking me!? I told you I wouldn't fuck your father in front of you no matter how you begged! You are always wrong! You were born wrong! and no amount of trolling nonsense will change that. You not even sick in an interesting way!

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2022 5:27 AM

I didn't realise this was going to make people so angry. OMG.

by Anonymousreply 15April 9, 2022 5:31 AM

^ Sorry, you've met my stalker

by Anonymousreply 16April 9, 2022 5:32 AM

Pathetic troll at R7 R9 R12 R13 has no idea what she's talking about. There was nothing new or novel about Shaft just like there's nothing new or novel about her

by Anonymousreply 17April 9, 2022 5:34 AM

R15 only those who paid to see this rather dreary film in a theater need be angry.

How does Roundtree's shaft compare to Sam Jackson's?

by Anonymousreply 18April 9, 2022 5:36 AM

When you're stalking me, do you masturbate at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 19April 9, 2022 5:36 AM

You know you're old when you remember there was a remake.

And then you realise it came out 22 years ago, only 29 years after the original!

by Anonymousreply 20April 9, 2022 5:38 AM

One thing I liked about the film is that it had a very sympathetic and proud gay character in that film, especially for that time and especially for it starring a black action hero. I don't remember it super clearly but I think the gay guy in question ran a gay bar and was friends with Shaft and helped him in nailing some bad guys or something? It just seemed pretty progressive, especially for the film genre and the year it came out.

by Anonymousreply 21April 9, 2022 5:39 AM

I wanted to see it based on its title alone. But a crime drama? Pass.

by Anonymousreply 22April 9, 2022 5:41 AM

Despite what the old drunk said it was a cool movie and very popular at the time. The hit song helped a lot

by Anonymousreply 23April 9, 2022 5:41 AM

R20 Saw Jackson and Roundtree interviewed by Matt Lauer so it was known just like with West Side Story that it was a remake.

by Anonymousreply 24April 9, 2022 5:44 AM

The making of Shaft doc was really interesting and the jam session with Isaac Hayes and miscellaneous musicians was great. The director Gordon Parks was a multifaceted human being.

by Anonymousreply 25April 9, 2022 5:53 AM

R24, did I write that it wasn't known that it was a remake? I don't understand why you responded.

by Anonymousreply 26April 9, 2022 5:53 AM

R26 that age has nothing to do with knowing something is a remake

by Anonymousreply 27April 9, 2022 5:55 AM

I'm 41 and was about 21 or so when the remake came out and I knew it was a remake.

by Anonymousreply 28April 9, 2022 5:57 AM

Um, everyone knew it was a remake. The point of my post was that the remake came out 22 years ago already, not quite halfway since the original, but getting close.

Get it?

by Anonymousreply 29April 9, 2022 6:05 AM

No, I don't get it and neither to you R29

'You know you're old when you remember there was a remake' HUH! What does age have to do with knowing that?

You are really old, and it shows. Get some rest.

by Anonymousreply 30April 9, 2022 6:11 AM

[quote]'You know you're old when you remember there was a remake'

The remake was forgettable, R30. OP made a thread about the original and then I remembered there was a remake. But, thanks for misreading my post. Mazel.

by Anonymousreply 31April 9, 2022 6:15 AM

R31 such convoluted double speak Take a sleeping aid, gran. You're not making sense.

by Anonymousreply 32April 9, 2022 6:20 AM

R32, you reference Gig Young, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jerry Hall.

You can call me "granny" all you want, lol.

by Anonymousreply 33April 9, 2022 6:33 AM

R33 also reference Truman Capote, Gore Vidal, Shakespeare . . . ever hear of cultural literacy gran? and your post actually supports you wrong-headed assumptions regarding knowledge and age. Keep digging the hole deeper and lie down.

by Anonymousreply 34April 9, 2022 6:40 AM

R34, anyone who puts a Jerry Hall reference on the level of Truman Capote, Gore Vidal, and Shakespeare as "knowledge" ... lmao. Okay ...

I do find you calling me "gran" endearing though.

Xo

by Anonymousreply 35April 9, 2022 6:46 AM

Also, I like Suzanne Pleshette! I got to know who she is through a syndicated airing of Newhart. You know, the series that came after the first Newhart series, where she shows up at the end in his bed like the second series was all a dream. And, then, I watched The Birds for the first time and saw her in that. Were you a kid when that came out?

by Anonymousreply 36April 9, 2022 6:49 AM

R35 You mentioned Jerry Hall, remember gran. And you're still not making sense with you nonsensical equation.

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2022 6:54 AM

I recommend seeing SHAFT because it is one of the best photographed New York movies you'll ever see. Gordon Parks was the director and he did a great job. The movie is cool and action-y. Unlike, say, The French Connection, a movie that, for all its praise and awards, you might find surprisingly tedious. I still like it but....

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2022 6:56 AM

R35 is awareness of these various people not knowledge? and where gran did you get that I was putting them on the same level?

by Anonymousreply 39April 9, 2022 6:59 AM

R37, no. I put you on my Ignore List to look at your comment history, because you're oddly being a jerk to me.

Maybe you were just commenting on the Jerry Hall thread, but the Gig Young and Suzanne Pleshette references are all yours.

I mean, perhaps we can play nice? But, I can also just keep you on my List and forget about you, if that's what you would like. From your R39 comment, you're making absolutely no sense. So, I think I'll just leave you on Ignore.

Bye.

by Anonymousreply 40April 9, 2022 7:02 AM

R35 gran, one can have knowledge of Jackie Collins and Harold Pinter without seeing them as equals. Ever hear of history gran? You know, learning about the past in the present which is why they call it history!

by Anonymousreply 41April 9, 2022 7:04 AM

R40 Goodbye gran. You are an old fart!

by Anonymousreply 42April 9, 2022 7:07 AM

I guess Shaft (1971) is shown on TCM so the old can relive it and the young can experience it for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 43April 9, 2022 7:09 AM

[quote] Have you ever seen the movie SHAFT

Damn right

by Anonymousreply 44April 9, 2022 7:13 AM

Across 110th Street (1972) is edgier and more exciting. and it has a great Bobby Womack title tune that Tarantino used in Jackie Brown. Something that R40 ought to realize regarding cultural connections.

by Anonymousreply 45April 9, 2022 7:14 AM

R40 Gran, I never said I didn't reference those people but knowing who they are has nothing to do with age. Read R36 They may be dead but are still alive thanks to media.

by Anonymousreply 46April 9, 2022 7:33 AM

R38: Are you a fan of Gordon Parks?

by Anonymousreply 47April 9, 2022 8:04 AM

[quote]I recommend seeing SHAFT because it is one of the best photographed New York movies you'll ever see. Gordon Parks was the director and he did a great job. The movie is cool and action-y. Unlike, say, The French Connection, a movie that, for all its praise and awards, you might find surprisingly tedious. I still like it but....

I think TFC photography was superb and really caught the look and atmosphere of 70s NYC like no other movie. Strange you don't see it that way.

by Anonymousreply 48April 9, 2022 11:59 AM

"Trouble Man" was another blaxploitation movie of the era. SUPERB soundtrack, unwatchably bad movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 9, 2022 12:11 PM

OOOOH..Richard Rondtree!!!!!!! What's not to like.

by Anonymousreply 50April 9, 2022 12:39 PM

It's on HBO Max currently. I watched it a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. The location shooting in early '70s New York City is great and Richard Roundtree is fantastic as the title character. Yes, it's fairly cliched but was groundbreaking at the time for its all black cast with only a couple of whites in supporting roles. And of course the title song is first-rate.

Who's the black private dick

That's a sex machine to all the chicks?

(Back-up singers): Shaft!

Right on.

by Anonymousreply 51April 9, 2022 2:30 PM

Cool snap - what's that Madison Ave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 9, 2022 3:41 PM

Cinesnatch, before she passed out (loves her some voddie in her Maxwell House), Muriel was slurring. With a crooked index finger, she gestured at me. I donned my vintage WW2 gas mask and leaned in closer. "Give Cinesnatch two gold stars." The soft thud of her head hitting the pillow was music to my ears. It's not easy being a part time caretaker these days. But the pay ain't bad.

by Anonymousreply 53April 9, 2022 3:57 PM

R47, Yes, I'm a Gordon Parks fan. He's a wonderful photographer.

R48, My post may not have been clear. You misunderstood what I was saying. I have no problem with how The French Connection was shot. It has a very compelling and gritty urban look. I just meant that the people might be surprised by how gradual and painstaking the pacing and plotting of the film are. The narrative unfolds at a very measured, perhaps patience challenging tempo, that amped up car chase notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2022 9:13 PM

Terrific movie wrongly identified as a Blaxploitation movie. It's not, it's a well made, gritty cop flick in the vein of "The French Connection".

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2022 10:13 PM

No it isn’t on par with the French connection. Not even in the same universe.

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2022 10:25 PM

R48 Little Murders, Klute, Born to Win, Hi, Mom! The Owl and the Pussycat, Jennifer on My Mind ...were among the many films that captured the various aspects of NYC in the early 70s

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2022 11:26 PM

"If you wanna see Shaft, ask your momma"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2022 11:29 PM

[quote]No it isn’t on par with the French connection. Not even in the same universe.

Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 59April 11, 2022 12:01 AM

Shaft is a terrific crime movie. R56 doesn't like it because it's about a Black man kicking ass instead of a white one.

by Anonymousreply 60April 13, 2022 10:17 AM

He didn't say he didn't like it just that it wasn't on par with the French Connection. I'm so bored of boring people constantly calling people racist. They are the pits, as we say in England.

by Anonymousreply 61April 13, 2022 11:00 AM

It is a must see! Shaft is amazing! Richard Roundtree looks so damn good, you will wet your panties!

by Anonymousreply 62April 13, 2022 11:40 AM

The guy who starred in Black Shampoo is hawter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 13, 2022 11:53 AM

R63 John Daniels was hot in Black Shampoo, but hotter than Richard Roundtree in Shaft? I don't think so. Roundtree was not just really handsome, but he was also sophisticated and smart. That made him very sexy! Shaft was the definition of cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 13, 2022 12:08 PM

R61, You're so "bored" with people calling people racist, huh? Imagine how people feel who are sick of having to deal with racism. This may come as a shock to you but some people have been putting up with it literally their entire lives and their parents lives and their parents before them and they're kinda fed up with it. If you don't know what they're experience has been, don't comment on it.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2022 8:32 AM

[quote][R61], You're so "bored" with people calling people racist, huh?

yes I am - where it's NOT due.

I've experienced plenty of racism and homophobia - so fuck off, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2022 9:56 AM

R66, Kiss my ass. You're definitely lying.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2022 7:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!